EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » TITLE: Portrait of an Ibero-Maurusian (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TITLE: Portrait of an Ibero-Maurusian
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRPL_DRKNSS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

So‚ I e-mailed this image to Chris Stringer and this was his response [reproduced below]:

Sent: 07 February 2022 20:09
To: Chris Stringer <c.stringer@nhm.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Portrait of an Ibero-Maurusian [DRAFT]

Good evening Prof. Stringer

I couldn't resist soliciting your opinion on this [my] depiction/interpretation of an ibero-maurusian. Am I wrong? I think the protruding cheekbones and long face capture the skull .. not quite sure about the rest: trial and error.

Thank you

---------

Sent: 08 February 2022 10:38
To: <redacted>
Subject: Fw: Portrait of an Ibero-Maurusian [DRAFT]

Thanks for this striking image [REDACTED].

I know some of this population practised incisor tooth ablation so that may have affected their appearance. I'll also forward it to a more expert colleague, in case she wishes to comment back to you..

Best Chris

----------

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022, 19:36
Subject: RE: Portrait of an Ibero-Maurusian [DRAFT]
To: <redacted>

Hello [REDACTED]

My colleague Chris shared your beautiful depiction of an Iberomaurusian.

I am not aware of any detailed forensic facial reconstructions for the Iberomaurusians. We do know from the skeleton that they were large and strongly built.

A paper published in 2018 looked at DNA from the Iberomaurusian population from Taforalt in Morocco and demonstrated links to populations in Western Asia and Africa. The study revealed that the people at Taforalt probably had brown eye colour and might have had dark skin colour and straight or wavy hair.

I think your image captures that well. It’s possible that adult males had more facial hair (no way to trim or remove hair?) but there is no way of knowing that for sure. They may have had a higher forehead and hairline than in your illustration.

As Chris mentioned, many Iberomaurusians deliberately removed their top upper central incisors (the two teeth in the middle of the top jaw) when they were young adults. Following that intervention, the lower central incisors carry on emerging into the mouth and the teeth in the lower jaw and form a characteristic arch at the front. This would have been very striking visually when speaking, eating etc and would have affected pronunciation as well. I don’t know how that would have changed the shape of the mouth and lips. Possibly the lower lip projected forward slightly more than the upper lip, and again I think that is consistent with your illustration.

All the best, Louise

------------

Looking forward to your comments [Smile]

--------------------
nature is: fractal‚ generative‚ recursive‚ ...

Posts: 28 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work! But I would encourage you to post this and your other art in the Hetheru's Corner subforum.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's this version?

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRPL_DRKNSS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i felt i had got the teeth wrong in this version. so I polished it up. where did you find it??? loooool.

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MNQOBI on Behance. The open mouth makes it more interesting I think, like he's saying something

Did you base this on a skull?
What is the medium you use? How do you start creating this?

the nose looks a little similar to this type:

https://www.kenniskennis.com/pestera-cu-oase/

this one has underbite teeth

https://www.kenniskennis.com/neanderthal-krijn/

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The forehead doesn't look high enough in the sketch.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
The forehead doesn't look high enough in the sketch.

https://imgbox.com/4hvF1DYT
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
MNQOBI on Behance. The open mouth makes it more interesting I think, like he's saying something

Did you base this on a skull?
What is the medium you use? How do you start creating this?

the nose looks a little similar to this type:

https://www.kenniskennis.com/pestera-cu-oase/

this one has underbite teeth

https://www.kenniskennis.com/neanderthal-krijn/

I relied mostly on Joel Irish and Marta Mirazón Lahr's descriptions.

My tools? Photoshop and a Wacom tablet.

I did look at this skull [below] as a reference — which is all one can do — given the tools.

-

Thank you for your comments.

--------------------

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work.

I'm a bit perplexed though. You can't possibly just be some guy/gal from off the street. How long have you been doing reconstructions?

on another note I will have to move this thread to a more appropriate section.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
Good work.

I'm a bit perplexed though. You can't possibly just be some guy/gal from off the street. How long have you been doing reconstructions?

on another note I will have to move this thread to a more appropriate section.

He has an art page which I accessed through his profile:

Link to his art page on Ello

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
@TRPL_DRKNSS, I'm looking ay the lip and chin area and also the forehead and there is a lot of fine details, several kinds of skin crease lines, many of them, and a lot of various skin textures, also fine individual hairs on the eyebrows

Are there technical tricks to get that level of detail or do you have to spend hours and hours doing each of those tiny details?

TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for TRPL_DRKNSS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
@TRPL_DRKNSS, I'm looking ay the lip and chin area an also the forehead and there is a lot of fine detail, several kinds of skin crease lines, many of the, and a lot of various skin textures, also fine individual hairs on the eyebrows

Are there technical tricks to get that level of detail or do you have to spend hours and hours doing each of those tiny details?

"Don't sweat the technique." — Rakim [Big Grin]

The trick is to use real skin‚ a bit of matte painting and play around with Curves adjustments to blend it together. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro‚:

This is actually my first reconstruction [Smile]

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by TRPL_DRKNSS:
quote:
[qb] @TRPL_DRKNSS, I'm looking ay the lip and chin area an also the forehead and there is a lot of fine detail, several kinds of skin crease lines, many of the, and a lot of various skin textures, also fine individual hairs on the eyebrows

"Don't sweat the technique." — Rakim [Big Grin]

The trick is to use real skin‚ a bit of matte painting and play around with Curves adjustments to blend it together. [Wink]

so if you are using photo sources, how many different ones did you use to make that one face?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
What did you delete? [Big Grin]

--------------------

TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
quote:
so if you are using photo sources, how many different ones did you use to make that one face?

Look at these three abandoned Natufian reconstructions below. Look carefully at the noses‚ it's actually several noses stacked atop other noses until you get the "right shape" [similar to music production] ... and also‚ no single‚ modern population will have all the traits of a certain prehistoric population within their morphophenotypic range‚ right? So you might have to sample something from Papuans and Australians‚ and something else from the Inuit‚ etc.

-
 -

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^that looks good also

so if you cut out eyes from one photo (with the lids and socket areas) and put it over another you would have to do a lot of fiddling to get rid of the cut marks, painting away the edge but I suspect your program makes it much easier. I would imagine that whatever you attach, eyes or a nose or whatever that if the middle of the cut piece was made automatically to fade into transparency around the edges only then you could overlap and not have to remove a cut line, it would fade in

The whole thing is easier if you have that misty cloudy airbrush looking stuff going on that is also in the background and that looks good but I suspect it's harder if you don't use that

TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
You would have to play around with Layer Masks and Brushes at different Opacity levels... I only use Photoshop.

(Try and look for Matte Painting Timelapses on YouTube)

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
thanks
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:

-

Would Natufians have had woven cloth for loincloths though? I thought they were still hunter-gatherers, even though they had adopted a sedentary lifestyle.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ridiculous and biased. Proper forensic reconstructions of iberomaurusians show very different results and physically the closest people to them were western hunter-gatherers especially the specimen from Oberkassel.

As for natufian, are you at least aware many modern arabs score as much as 70% natufian ancestry ?

What's the point of making artistic, inaccurate and biased reconstructions ?

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop being a baby, modern Arabs include foreigners and pockets of almost the original inhabitants.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
Ridiculous and biased. Proper forensic reconstructions of iberomaurusians show very different results and physically the closest people to them were western hunter-gatherers especially the specimen from Oberkassel.

As for natufian, are you at least aware many modern arabs score as much as 70% natufian ancestry ?

-

-

-

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
I know there is a bit of artistry with reconstructions but why does the jaw not seem as pronounced as? I recall seeing a Nigerian woman with a similarly strong jaw,Ikponwosa Ero.
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
Firstly‚ I would like to thank everyone for their feedback. Much appreciated. Now let me try and address some of the comments (as best as I can)

quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
I know there is a bit of artistry with reconstructions but why does the jaw not seem as pronounced as? I recall seeing a Nigerian woman with a similarly strong jaw,Ikponwosa Ero.

For my reconstruction‚ I mostly used the skull (below) as a reference:

-

quote:

Louise Humphrey‚ one of the authors of the 2018 Taforalt study‚ said‚ "I am not aware of any detailed forensic facial reconstructions for the Iberomaurusians."

As for the Natufians‚ according to Marc Haber et al. (2019)‚ Yemenis from Maarib have "increased Natufian
(Epipaleolithic hunter-gatherers) ancestry compared with the Lebanese
" and this increased Natufian ancestry is "comparable to the ancestry present during the Bronze Age in the distant Northern regions of the Near East" when "more than half of the Northern Levantine gene pool was replaced" by Eurasian-steppe related admixture (Eirini Skourtanioti et al.‚ 2020) .

With all that said‚ have a look at the photo below of a "Coloured" South African from Cape Town; this population harbours some of the oldest human ancestry [Khoikhoi and San]‚ at the highest levels‚ yet many of them look like the modern North Africans and could even pass for Southern Europeans
 -

Interestingly‚ South Africans from the Late Pleistocene are said to have looked more like "early modern human specimens from Europe rather than Holocene San populations from the same region" (Crevecoeur et al.‚ 2015)

Humans are shapeshifters. Nobody alive today looks like a Natufian or an Ibero-Maurusian or Cro-Magnon.

quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
Would Natufians have had woven cloth for loincloths though? I thought they were still hunter-gatherers, even though they had adopted a sedentary lifestyle.

I've some rock art from Çatalhöyük where the hunter-gatheres appear to be wearing leopard-skin kilts (similar to the Zulus)‚ I suppose the Natufians may have worn the same. If I decide to complete that draft‚ I'll make I sure I dress them up properly.

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
My bad, I'm referring to the Cro Magnon reconstruction.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Louise Humphrey‚ one of the authors of the 2018 Taforalt study‚ said‚ "I am not aware of any detailed forensic facial reconstructions for the Iberomaurusians."

Well she missed them then :

Here one made by E.Daynes

-

Here with the accurate skin color :

-

16k years old iberomaurusian reconstruction based on the "warping" method :

-

one from the neolithic period :

-

Ancestralwhisphers made also two reconstructions (you can find his methodology on his site) :

-
 -

Anthropologists note strong similarities with the german oberkassel remains :

quote:
On the other hand, certain affinities with the European cromagnoid men (notably Obercassel man) have been noted: craniofacial disharmony, shortening of the face, morphology of the orbits and the gonia region, development of the chin eminence, high stature, etc. The relationship of the Mechta-Afalou group must be sought towards the Men of the European Upper Paleolithic and not towards the Mesolithic Men of the Near East , in particular the Natufians of Palestine, towards whom the morphological differences are considerable.

M.-Cl. Chamla, Encyclopédie berbère, A73. Afalou-Bou-Rhummel

quote:
This cromagnoid morphology is particularly reminiscent of the Magdalenians of Obercassel.
L'Homme, son évolution, sa diversité : manuel d'anthropologie, pp. 247

and this is how Obercassel specimen looked like :

https://imgur.com/4Hqdmr2
https://imgur.com/PSpnfEq

Here a paper on one reconstruction : https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/3D-FACIAL-RECONSTRUCTION-OF-AN-ANCIENT-FEMALE-SKULL-Silvestri-Tomezzoli/7d4ad65b904e5ded38c896e12b9e83bd1aa1c751

quote:
Originally posted by TRPL_DRKNSS: As for the Natufians‚ according to Marc Haber et al. (2019)‚ Yemenis from Maarib have "increased Natufian
(Epipaleolithic hunter-gatherers) ancestry compared with the Lebanese
" and this increased Natufian ancestry is "comparable to the ancestry present during the Bronze Age in the distant Northern regions of the Near East" when "more than half of the Northern Levantine gene pool was replaced" by Eurasian-steppe related admixture (Eirini Skourtanioti et al.‚ 2020) .

Why do you bring levantines ? When I say "arabs" I was talking about modern day peninsular arabs who score between 60-70% natufian ancestry :

-

so if natufians were as black looking as you portrayed them then we should have expected arabs to look somewhat black/mixed.

Here natufian reconstruction by ancestralwhisper :

-

quote:
Originally posted by TRPL_DRKNSS: With all that said‚ have a look at the photo below of a "Coloured" South African from Cape Town; this population harbours some of the oldest human ancestry [Khoikhoi and San]‚ at the highest levels‚ yet many of them look like the modern North Africans and could even pass for Southern Europeans

Interestingly‚ South Africans from the Late Pleistocene are said to have looked more like "early modern human specimens from Europe rather than Holocene San populations from the same region" (Crevecoeur et al.‚ 2015)

Humans are shapeshifters. Nobody alive today looks like a Natufian or an Ibero-Maurusian or Cro-Magnon.

Coloured people from south africa are highly mixed and could look like anything the man you posted doesn't look north african in the slightest. Shapeshifters or not natufian and iberomaurusians didn't look like as your portray them.
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
For my reconstruction‚ I mostly used the skull (below) as a reference:

-

^ a well known geneticist who studies the Iberomausurians showed this skull in a slide presentation and I see it on various websites but I looked hard and can't find more detailed information about what site it's from.
The key to identifying it quickly visually is that the hole in the front teeth area resembles the shape of a tree

This site calls it a Capsian skull but I don't know if it is correct

https://memim.com/capsian-culture.html

this Jstor article shows the skull and probably has a reliable identification but I don't have access >>

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41492636

quote:

With all that said‚ have a look at the photo below of a "Coloured" South African from Cape Town; this population harbours some of the oldest human ancestry [Khoikhoi and San]‚ at the highest levels‚ yet many of them look like the modern North Africans and could even pass for Southern Europeans
 -

-

The same man Trevor Manuel

Minister of Finance from 1996 to 2009, during the presidencies of Nelson Mandela, Thabo Mbeki and Kgalema Motlanthe, and also as Minister in the Presidency for the National Planning Commission from 2009 to 2014 under Zuma.

Trevor Manuel was born in Kensington (Cape Town), during the apartheid era and was classified as a Cape Coloured. His mother, Philma van Söhnen, was a garment factory worker, and his father, Abraham James Manuel, was a draughtsman. According to Manuel's "family legend", his great-grandfather was a Portuguese immigrant; he had married an indigenous Khoekhoe woman.

I think it's stupid how under Apartheid they include indigenous Khoi or San as "Cloureds" with any other mixture, like someone Bantu-European.
But these classifications have become tradition.
I hope the government changes that (unless they already have on paper, I don't know)

-

Trevor Manuel, 80s

It's possible one of Trevor Manuel's great grandmothers was Khoi but I can't tell by looking.
And if his great grandfather had a Khoi wife she might not be the only one he had a child with.
If he is part Khoi, it's 12.5% genetically

-

Sometimes he appears more tanned
To me he looks Portuguese but he might pass for Moroccan but I don't know it that well.
It's funny here how he looks a little yellowish
but more orangey in the other photo. I think that may just be due to different camera, lighting and the amount of tanning he has at a given moment

quote:

I hadn't heard that before, that refers to this skull (it's not in great shape)

-
 -

The Hofmeyr Skull is a specimen of a 36,000-year-old anatomically modern human skull that was found in 1952 near Hofmeyr, South Africa.

TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
quote:
^ a well known geneticist who studies the Iberomausurians showed this skull in a slide presentation and I see it on various websites but I looked hard and can't find more detailed information about what site it's from...

This site calls it a Capsian skull but I don't know if it is correct

https://memim.com/capsian-culture.html

this Jstor article shows the skull and probably has a reliable identification but I don't have access >>

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41492636

This is from the JStor article you shared above:  -
(Ancestral Whispers describes it as "robust caucasoid")

quote:

quote:

I hadn't heard that before, that refers to this skull (it's not in great shape)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Hofmeyr_Skull.jpg https://elmuseumscience.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/fin-whale_3.jpg?w=353&h=471

The Hofmeyr Skull is a specimen of a 36,000-year-old anatomically modern human skull that was found in 1952 near Hofmeyr, South Africa.

According to F. E. Grine (2007) the Hofmeyr specimen's "strongest morphometric affinities are with Upper Paleolithic Eurasians rather than recent, geographically proximate people." Isabelle Crevecoeur (2009) places Hofmeyr — alongside Nazlet Khater 2 and Oase 2 — "within the European and North African Upper Paleolithic ranges of diversity." (Ron Pinhasi (2000) also sees "strong associations" between some South African specimens and Nazlet Khater). According Aurélien Mounier (2019) the Florisbad specimen from South Africa "shares the most phenotypic affinities" with the statistically estimated "hypothetical virtual Last Common Ancestors (vLCAs) to all modern humans"

As for "Coloured" folks here in South Africa‚ most embrace that classification and don't see it as pejorative. I suppose all identities are imposed from the top down. I didn't choose to be Zulu‚ it was decided in 1815‚ I believe‚ when Shaka Zulu decided to form a federation of Nguni clans/tribes. [Smile]

------

quote:
quote:

https://i.imgur.com/p9nmzRa.jpg?1

Do you accept the final results of Élisabeth Daynès' "detailed forensic facial reconstructions" as accurate? Is it art or pure science?
 -

quote:
Here with the accurate skin color :

https://i.imgur.com/esjyCl5.jpg?1

Is this skin colour (done by a hobbyist using Photoshop) more accurate — more scientific‚ and less artistic — than Élisabeth Daynès' "detailed forensic facial reconstructions" then?

quote:
16k years old iberomaurusian reconstruction based on the "warping" method :

-

I tried your "warping" method‚ and these were the results [Big Grin] :
 -

quote:

Ancestralwhisphers made also two reconstructions (you can find his methodology on his site) :

https://i.imgur.com/LIqjvUU.png?1
https://i.imgur.com/CmoZ1gD.jpg?1

I couldn't find any "methodology" on their website‚ I presume they use commercial photo editing software — they don't do "detailed forensic facial reconstructions." Some of their work is highly questionable (British Mesolithic‚ Western Hunter-Gatherers‚ etc.); and is actually contradicted by Kennis & Kennis‚ who don't rely on Photoshop.

I will stop here for now‚ I seem to have exceeded the number of photos I can post...(I've also exceeded my patience [Big Grin] )

(Every single Élisabeth Daynès reconstruction has pale skin — regardless of historical period — except for homo erectus‚ who is consistently dark-skinned [Big Grin] )

Till next time

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

literally avoids 3/4 of my post...
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I couldn't find any "methodology" on their website‚

They describe how they do the reconstructions with an example:

quote:
Reconstructions
The reconstruction method that we're using is largely based on Gerasimov's 1955 book, which provides data with soft tissue estimations, possible nose shapes based on the nose bridge of the skull, plenty of cranial measurements as well their reconstructions with detailed explanation. Gerasimov's book was revolutionary for the time, and ever since then his students have been perfecting the method, while up to date technology allowed us to predict soft tissue thickness with even better precision.

In this page we'll be delving deeper into the facial reconstruction process. As an example, we'll be reconstructing the famous Sungir1 skull. The cranial measurements for Sungir1 as well as the skull itself can be found in "The People of Sunghir" by Erik Trinkaus, Alexandra P. Buzhilova, Maria B. Mednikova, and Maria V. Dobrovolskaya.

https://ancestralwhispers.org/our-projects

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is nothing inaccurate about the Natufian reconstruction. Natufian in all their heterogeneity have crania containing elements that reach WELL WITHIN the spectrum of Recent/Modern Niger Congo speakers.

quote:
When the samples used in Fig. 1 are compared by the use of canonical variate plots as in Fig. 2, the separateness of the Niger-Congo speakers is again quite clear. Interestingly enough, however, the small Natufian sample falls between the Niger-Congo group and the other samples used. Fig. 2 shows the plot produced by the first two canonical variates, but the same thing happens when canonical variates 1 and 3 (not shown here) are used. This placement suggests that there may have been a Sub-Saharan African element in the make-up of the Natufians (the putative ancestors of the subsequent Neolithic), although in this particular test there is no such evident presence in the North African or Egyptian samples
quote:
This is particularly well documented when the 18 variables are used to generate a plot of the first two canonical variates as shown in Fig. 4. In this figure, one can see a clear link between the Niger-Congo sample and the Natufians. The Prehistoric/Recent Northeast African sample also has a subsequent link to the Niger-Congo sample in Fig. 3. Yet the D2 values in Table 3 show that it is slightly closer to Late Prehistoric Eurasia than to the Algerian Neolithic, Modern Europe, and Modern Mediterranean and that it is farthest from the Niger-Congo, the Natufians, and the Basques.
As show by Brace et al 93

You can argue they "didnt have Sub Saharan Ancestry" but this has no bearing on how they LOOKED, similar to early human remains around the globe who share affinities with Sub Saharan Africans in crania, skin and Hair morphology.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

@ TRPL_DRKNESS
Have you considered doing colored versions of these reconstructions? I know that B/W images can sometimes present a misleading view of people's skin tones, especially under certain lighting (hence why Native Americans with light brown skin sometimes appear darker in old photos).

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
This is nothing inaccurate about the Natufian reconstruction. Natufian in all their heterogeneity have crania containing elements that reach WELL WITHIN the spectrum of Recent/Modern Niger Congo speakers.

quote:
When the samples used in Fig. 1 are compared by the use of canonical variate plots as in Fig. 2, the separateness of the Niger-Congo speakers is again quite clear. Interestingly enough, however, the small Natufian sample falls between the Niger-Congo group and the other samples used. Fig. 2 shows the plot produced by the first two canonical variates, but the same thing happens when canonical variates 1 and 3 (not shown here) are used. This placement suggests that there may have been a Sub-Saharan African element in the make-up of the Natufians (the putative ancestors of the subsequent Neolithic), although in this particular test there is no such evident presence in the North African or Egyptian samples
quote:
This is particularly well documented when the 18 variables are used to generate a plot of the first two canonical variates as shown in Fig. 4. In this figure, one can see a clear link between the Niger-Congo sample and the Natufians. The Prehistoric/Recent Northeast African sample also has a subsequent link to the Niger-Congo sample in Fig. 3. Yet the D2 values in Table 3 show that it is slightly closer to Late Prehistoric Eurasia than to the Algerian Neolithic, Modern Europe, and Modern Mediterranean and that it is farthest from the Niger-Congo, the Natufians, and the Basques.
As show by Brace et al 93

You can argue they "didnt have Sub Saharan Ancestry" but this has no bearing on how they LOOKED, similar to early human remains around the globe who share affinities with Sub Saharan Africans in crania, skin and Hair morphology.

This is outdated ; reality :

quote:
The body shape of the terminal Pleistocene Jebel Sahaba population is tropical-adapted, with elongated limbs, especially in the distal segments, and is most similar to living sub-Saharan Africans and less similar to late Pleistocene and Holocene North Africans (including Egyptians and Nubians). The sample’s body shape likely
reflects elevated gene flow up the Nile Valley from areas further south, but may also be due in part to the tropical hot conditions present at the site, even during glacial periods. The Jebel Sahaba sample are distinct in body shape from penecontemporary humans from Afalou-BouRhummel (Algeria) and El Wad Natufians from the southern Levant—a result consistent with the results of both Irish (2000, 2005) using dental data and Franciscus (1995, 2003) using nasal data.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/oa.2315

quote:
In contrast to the local Upper Palaeolithic relationships of the Natufian population of the Levant, the North African remains from Afalou and Taforalt indicate possible influences from sub-Saharan Africa at that time.
https://www.persee.fr/doc/paleo_0153-9345_1995_num_21_2_4620?q=mechta

And like I said modern arabs can score as much as 70% natufian ancestry yet are far from looking black

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

something is rotten in Denmark

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

Oase 2

-
Oase 2, mitochondrial haplogroup N

I'm looking at the Richard Neave nose and it resembles and African (almost) but I haven't seen modern humans with that nose type in the Kennis and Kennis that is that straight along the bottom , the shape looks unusual

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
[QB] @ TRPL_DRKNESS
Have you considered doing colored versions of these reconstructions? I know that B/W images can sometimes present a misleading view of people's skin tones, especially under certain lighting (hence why Native Americans with light brown skin sometimes appear darker in old photos).

If that is the case with old photos of Native Americans it's not the case with TRPL_DRKNESS' reconstruction
because he has full control of the skin dark/light
levels in photoshop

Color is often added to a reconstruction under speculation of the forensic artist with no genetic data on skin color
(although there is sometimes genetic data on skin tone but with questionable accuracy)

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB]
quote:

-

what is the skull this is based on?
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by beyoku:
[qb]

And like I said modern arabs can score as much as 70% natufian ancestry yet are far from looking black

Bruh, you cant be this dull. The study is not Debunked nor "Outdated". Its a study on cranial variables. The study you posted i believe deals with limb proportions. There are populations both ancient and modern from the Levant, Southern Arabia, India, Oceania, East Asia and the surrounding islands as well as the Americas that LOOK like Sub Saharan Africans without having a close relations to them. I have tried to drive this through your thick skull but you keep letting it leak out. You CANT do a PHYSICAL reconstruction based on a GENETIC variant found in modern people because that genetic variation PRECEDES that modern phenotype and originated among a different phenotype. This has been proved time and time again by looking at the cranial affinities of the earliest Genetically sampled individuals.

Thus Natufian can look "Black" and have cranial affinities grouping them with Niger Congo Speakers while having NO Niger Congo Ancestry.......similar to Papuans, Similar to Melanesians, Similar to Early Americans, similar to nearly every upper paleolithic skeleton.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
quote:
literally avoids 3/4 of my post...

*sigh*

Consider the photo below. This man is more than 50% European (Italian father & Afro-American mother)‚ possibly may be even 65% European‚ or more‚ when you consider the average 13% European ancestry in Afro-Americans (as much European ancestry as there is Natufian ancestry in some of your Yemeni samples)

-

This is his father:

-

Patricia Smith and Ofer Bar-Yosef have described the Epipaleolithc Natufians as "of short to medium stature, with males averaging 165 cm and females 152 cm in height ... Their skulls were also dolicocephalic, with large cranial capacity; broad, shortfaces ; prominent zygoma; and a tendency to alveolar prognathism ... The mandibles are characterized by low, broad rami with short body length and deep symphyses..."
Drastic changes in morphology then occured‚ according to Israel Hershkovitz (2017) ‚ and many others‚ (from the Upper Paleolithic to the Neolithic) due to changes in subsistence strategy: transition from hunting-foraging to farming and eating mostly vegetables; even more morphological changes were introduced in the Early Bronze Age when pastoralists with Eurasian Steppe ancestry came to dominate the region.
You ask why I brought up the Levant? Well‚ as I already pointed out‚ Southern Yemenis descend from Bronze Age Levantines‚ who had had more than half their ancestry replaced by populations from the North. From an evolutionary perspective — as opposed to an ideological and nationalistic stance — it's easy to see how Natufians went from being robust and dark-skinned to being gracile and light-skinned‚ from the Upper Paleolithic to the Bronze Age to modern times.

Here's a draft of a Natufian reconstruction I'm still working on...I may complete it in a few days‚ I might not:

-

quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
I couldn't find any "methodology" on their website‚
They describe how they do the reconstructions with an example:

quote:
Reconstructions
The reconstruction method that we're using is largely based on Gerasimov's 1955 book, which provides data with soft tissue estimations, possible nose shapes based on the nose bridge of the skull, plenty of cranial measurements as well their reconstructions with detailed explanation. Gerasimov's book was revolutionary for the time, and ever since then his students have been perfecting the method, while up to date technology allowed us to predict soft tissue thickness with even better precision.

In this page we'll be delving deeper into the facial reconstruction process. As an example, we'll be reconstructing the famous Sungir1 skull. The cranial measurements for Sungir1 as well as the skull itself can be found in "The People of Sunghir" by Erik Trinkaus, Alexandra P. Buzhilova, Maria B. Mednikova, and Maria V. Dobrovolskaya.
https://ancestralwhispers.org/our-projects

This is all a fancy way of saying they use Photoshop. There's no "science" in any of this.

Johannes Krause and Chris Stringer and Ian Barnes are simply not convinced that this is how the tropically-adapted Upper Palaeolithic ancestors of Cheddar Man would have looked:

-

I'm not ignoring anybody else's comments‚ I'm simply exhausted. This site is rather difficult to navigate. [Big Grin]

Once again. Thank you for your feedback.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Plastered Natufian Jericho skull 9,600 BC,
at right British Museum reconstruction of it

-
Another one of the plastered Jericho skulls

The skulls were covered with plaster and their eye-sockets inlaid with cowrie shells, perhaps to represent the dead individual.
Plaster was carefully modelled over the front of the skull but does not extend over the back, which was perhaps originally provided with some other material to look like hair.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the average 13% European ancestry in Afro-Americans (as much European ancestry as there is Natufian ancestry in some of your Yemeni samples)

more recent estimates 20-25%
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is all a fancy way of saying they use Photoshop. There's no "science" in any of this.

Johannes Krause and Chris Stringer and Ian Barnes
are simply not convinced that this is how the tropically-adapted Upper Palaeolithic ancestors of Cheddar Man would have looked:
 -

Did you use any actual skull measurements to your picture? Did you compute things like tissue deep and similar?

Seems the people at Ancestry whisperer did some computing of tissue deep after Gerasimov and others. Which scientific methodology did you use?

quote:
The dry skull breadth of Sungir1 was 144mm, porion bregma height - 118mm, bizygomatic - 142mm, bigonial - 106mm. Taking that into account, we can get an approximation of how much soft tissue we need to add to the skull. Aside from the soft tissue data given in Gerasimov 1955, other more up to date data can be found in "РЕКОНСТРУКЦИЯ ВНЕШНЕГО ОБЛИКА ЕВРЕЕВ БИБЛЕЙСКИХ ВРЕМЕН С ТЕРРИТОРИИ ИЗРАИЛЯ" by T.S Balueva, E.V Veselovskaya, E.D Kobylianski, A. Arensburg:
 -
Standard soft tissue chart

quote:
Note that the previous graph is based on European averages. Each individual skull will ultimately have its own soft tissue thickness. The calculations are to be adjusted based on the given averages. Once the data is calculated, we then can draw the outlines of the skull. Sungir1 was a big game hunter, so very strong masseter muscles are typical for his kind, we also know from old Soviet analyses that Sungir1 diet was rich in meat, thus we'll be giving him powerful jaw muscles. The finished sketch will then be the base for the reconstruction.
 -

quote:
Next step is pigmentation prediction. Sungir1 is an Upper Paleolithic specimen, so dark skin, dark hair and brown eyes are typical for his kind, but since Sungir DNA is sampled, we can also do a hirisplex analysis to be completely sure.
quote:
As predicted, Sungir1 turned out to be quite pigmented. The next step is to use the acquired data in GAN, and after that is done, photoshop is required to make sure his facial features match the traits of the skull. A side shot of the skull is very useful for this, here's a list of some of the traits that the skull exhibits: Powerful and long jaw, good forehead protrusion with visible browridge outlines, and not so projecting nose.
quote:
After some time in GAN and Photoshop we're left with a good reconstruction. Last step is to add the hair and a bearded version. We'll be going for the wavy Cro-Magnon hair here. We are then left with this end result:
 -
Sungir1 skull and reconstruction

Pigment prediction

Sungir1 skull: Larger image

Sungir1 reconstruction: Larger image

--------------------

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Basically Haynes depiction resembles a North Western European. His skin is quite light for a North African and Edwin's depiction resembling closely, a Mexican Arab
I doubt there was any genetic information on hair type. I think the Philip Edwin version has reduced the lips size slightly and removed most of the lower jaw protruding underbite in the unfinished model.
The way the nose points down like that, I'm not sure they can predict that from a skull
Edwin also reduced the bulging brow ridge that is on the model, a feature in some early humans

Elisabeth Daynes'
other work, the fine art:
https://www.elisabethdaynes.com/contemporary-art-works/

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Here is a version from Ancestral Whispers

-

-

quote:
The people of the Iberomaurusian culture once encompassed most of North Africa. They stood at 170-175cm on average and exhibited robust caucasoid features. Modern natives of North Africa largely descent from these hunter-gatherers.
https://ancestralwhispers.org/reconstructions/mechta

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
there is some funny stuff on this Ancestral Whispers site:

https://ancestralwhispers.org/reconstructions

^^^

just $40 to $500 per reconstruction>

https://ancestralwhispers.org/pricing

they do maps too

https://ancestralwhispers.org/maps/genetic-maps

TRPL_DRKNSS
Member # 23628

Rate Member
quote:
 -
Plastered Natufian Jericho skull 9,600 BC,
at right British Museum reconstruction of it

I did use the Jericho skull as a reference‚ in the beginning:
 -

but in the end I went with the skull below (from Patricia Smith's article):

-

quote:
Did you use any actual skull measurements to your picture? Did you compute things like tissue deep and similar?

Seems the people at Ancestry whisperer did some computing of tissue deep after Gerasimov and others. Which scientific methodology did you use?

quote:
After some time in GAN and PHOTOSHOP we're left with a good reconstruction.

My bro‚ all this gobbledygook about Soviet mathematical formulae that can predict soft tissue is laughable in my opinion‚ and designed to play down the fact that they use Photoshop and some AI software (have you seen the quality of AI art or AI colourisation???)

At least the Kennis brothers who do actual clay modelling have the integrity to admit that they "only looked at the pictures in the books..." and "made clay models of drawings or we copied drawings of fossils and skulls." They don't pretend to be guided by obscure mathematical formulae. They use their own observation (which is what science is about) and artistic judgment.

I try to read the descriptions of specialists in the field‚ and look at photos of crania‚ and match them to my reconstructions:

-

Pardon the aggressive language‚ it is not personal at all.

quote:
 -

Basically Haynes depiction resembles a North Western European. His skin is quite light for a North African and Edwin's depiction resembling closely, a Mexican Arab
I doubt there was any genetic information on hair type. I think the Philip Edwin version has reduced the lips size slightly and removed most of the lower jaw protruding underbite in the unfinished model.
The way the nose points down like that, I'm not sure they can predict that from a skull
Edwin also reduced the bulging brow ridge that is on the model, a feature in some early humans

Elisabeth Daynes'
other work, the fine art:
https://www.elisabethdaynes.com/contemporary-art-works/

Phillip Edwin‚ in my view‚ does his own artistic and scientific sensibilities a great disservice by limiting himself to basically Photoshopping other artists' clay models; this approach is no different from tracing. I would love to him use his own observations‚ his own judgment‚ etc. — that's science.

quote:
Here is a version from Ancestral Whispers

https://i.ibb.co/8gfGCKX/Mechta-Afolou.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/KhmMsst/Mechta-Afolou-AW-sm.jpg

quote:
The people of the Iberomaurusian culture once encompassed most of North Africa. They stood at 170-175cm on average and exhibited robust caucasoid features. Modern natives of North Africa largely descent from these hunter-gatherers.
https://ancestralwhispers.org/reconstructions/mechta
In my earlier response above‚ I tried to account for the radical morphological changes that occurred in the Levant with the transition from hunting-foraging to sedentary farming and to pastoralism.

Ancestral Whispers has Northwest African hunter-gatherers going from this:
 -

to this:
 -

without a radical change in subsistence strategy‚ diet.

quote:

^^^

just $40 to $500 per reconstruction>

they do maps too

https://ancestralwhispers.org/maps/genetic-maps

For $500 they will tell you what you want to hear. I think this is one of the reasons Élisabeth Daynès's work (which is exhibited all over Europe) depicts all early humans as looking like modern Europeans — except for primitive human species like Homo Erectus and Homo Ergaster‚ they are depicted with dark skin [Big Grin] ... Ironically‚ according to José María Bermúdez de Castro & María Martinón-Torres "Homo antecessor exhibits most of the derived morphological features related to the modem-like face, as well as a derived (sapiens) facial growth remodeling pattern and modem pattern of dental development." Chris Stringer says this H. Antecessor morphology "probably evolved and re-evolved several times in human evolution." Johannes Krause thinks modern human facial morphology is almost indistinguishable from Homo Erectus

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
The calculation of tissue depth does not crave so much "obscure mathematical formulae" but more of relatively basic anatomical knowledge paired with measurements of the skull which will be reconstructed. There are different tables of tissue depth, which can vary between different populations. It can be a bit trickier though to know the exact tissue depths of ancient people who are difficult to compare with modern populations.

But I can agree that making reconstructions from photos is always a bit shaky. Best is of course to have an exact replica of an ancient skull (or at least a scanned 3D model).

In the future more and more ancient skulls will be available as digital 3d models, which also will be possible to print with 3d printers.

https://today.duke.edu/2016/02/virtualfossils

Here is a video with a man that 3D printed his own skull. It would be an interesting experiment to let different reconstruction artists try to recreate his looks (without having seen him or any photos of him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGUxZ-iYwo

Btw there is a thread about facial reconstructions in general. Maybe you have seen it?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=013243

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I just corrected my post
posted 10 August, 2022 09:18 PM

https://ancestralwhispers.org/reconstructions

^^ this is the correct URL showing all the reconstructions, some of which are hilarious looking (although I guess theoretically possible)

the second link was the pricing but I had that same pricing URL in both places

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://tinyurl.com/uwdk5zs5

J Forensic Sci
. 2011 Mar;56(2):470-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01672.x. Epub 2011 Jan 6.

On Gerasimov's plastic facial reconstruction technique: new insights to facilitate repeatability

Herbert Ullrich 1, Carl N Stephan
Affiliations expand
PMID: 21342188 DOI: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01672.x

Abstract
Gerasimov's plastic facial reconstruction method is notoriously difficult to repeat from the published literature. Primarily, this is because of the method's underlying qualitative basis but other factors contribute including: misreports in the secondary literature of Gerasimov's method essence; a lack of published details concerning Gerasimov's modeling mastic; Gerasimov's deviation from his own published nose projection prediction guidelines; and continued refinement of the methods in the 15 years following their foremost publication. As Gerasimov cannot be consulted to resolve these issues, we provide solutions via one of his five former principal students. This includes clarification of Gerasimov's method and use of soft tissue depths; the constitution of his modeling mastic; methods used for nose projection prediction; and refinements made to his methods following their primary publication.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com