Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » hot butter sponge cake (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: hot butter sponge cake
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here you go smuckie

4 eggs
2 cups of flour
2 tso. of baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 tspof vanilla
1/4 lb of butter.
put milk and butter over a slow fire until the butter melts then mix all the ingred together
bake at 350 until done about 25 mins. it is a layer cake only

minute fudge icing
combine 1 ounce of choc.finely chopped
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1/4tea.of salt
1/4cup shortening (crisco)

bring to a boil stirring constantly boil gently 1 min. beat until lukewarm add the vanilla . beat till thick enough to spread
make sure the cake is cool first

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one you made for your mom? [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i am missing one ingred on the icing but she is asleep i will get it when she wakes up [Big Grin]
try it ir is the easiest cake ever

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
yes i am missing one ingred on the icing but she is asleep i will get it when she wakes up [Big Grin]
try it ir is the easiest cake ever

well if you made it for your mother that time and she likes it it's good enough for me. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it is a must for our family parties. my brothers just love it
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of chocolate mok mok?
Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
herseys blocks or any good choc that come in block form so you can shave it ot you can just melt it .baking choc unsweetned and the ingred. i was missing for the icing was 1/4 cup of shortening. got that smucks
seabreeze
Member # 10289

[Wink]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ingredients are great and i am definitely going to try our resident executive chef's recipe.

The first thing i do is.. look at ingredients and then complexity and this sounds doable.

My question is what do you do with this mixture? What kind of pot do you put it in?

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this sound great....gonna invite myself to Smucks house for Gyros, then off to mok's for dessert.
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mok ~ Does it matter what size cake pans (8" or 9")? This sounds delicious!
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
Mok ~ Does it matter what size cake pans (8" or 9")? This sounds delicious!

Thank you for pointing the way for this cake ignoramus ..... this will be my first cake

yes ... i am a cake virgin [Big Grin]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
posted July 25, 2007 08:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 6595 | From: American living in Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006 | IP: Logged |

Sobriquet
Member # 13217

Rate Member posted July 25, 2007 11:06 AM
The ingredients are great and i am definitely going to try our resident executive chef's recipe.

The first thing i do is.. look at ingredients and then complexity and this sounds doable.

My question is what do you do with this mixture? What kind of pot do you put it in?

ok funny man just melt butter and mik in the little pan on the stove just until the butter melts then put all the other ingred in and stir. thenyou put it in a 9by12" pan and bake let it cool then put the icing on it. got me [Big Grin] [Confused] it is so easy . rwll me if you make it i want to know if you like it

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
posted July 25, 2007 08:34 AM

Posts: 6595 | From: American living in Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006 | IP: Logged |

Sobriquet
Member # 13217

Rate Member posted July 25, 2007 11:06 AM

ok funny man just melt butter and mik in the little pan on the stove just until the butter melts then put all the other ingred in and stir. thenyou put it in a 9by12" pan and bake let it cool then put the icing on it. got me [Big Grin] [Confused] it is so easy . rwll me if you make it i want to know if you like it

Ms. Executive chef mok-mok, expect some pics of the butter sponge cake along with my personal analysis. [Smile]

And thanks for the details , keep in mind you have guys here too, we need exact measurements and what kind of pots and pans to use [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
its a cake pan ( square) 9 by 12inches and dont worry you dont have to spray the pan it has enough butter in it [Smile]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
its a cake pan ( square) 9 by 12inches and dont worry you dont have to spray the pan it has enough butter in it [Smile]

Ok i think i have the pan it's a tefal (supposed to be the best) i think it's 9x12 ... what about the depth is it good?

Is this pan doable?
 - doable?

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Mok...got a really stupid question here.
Ain't been able to put my hands on any Crisco here, so have been substituting Semna in some recipes.
whatcha think?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
hey Mok...got a really stupid question here.
Ain't been able to put my hands on any Crisco here, so have been substituting Semna in some recipes.
whatcha think?

Excellent question because i also don't want to buy
imported FAT

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
perfect pan there dude. the shortening is like lard you have to have it. there are all kinds i have never heard of Semna but if its lard or shortening thats fine
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Ok i would like to use my limited expertise [Big Grin] Totally joking because i am new to cooking (only like 3 years and never made cakes or deserts for that matter)

Anyway this is for Jean-Bean. Crisco as i'm sure you know has a negative taste, it tastes like nothing but Crisco.

Egyptian semna has a distinct taste and probably suitable for cooking than pastries and cake. What do you think?

What do Egyptians think? What is an alternative for Crisco.

Semna is just soooooo different (scent wise)

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Semna
Ghee. The authentic semna is prepared from real buffalo milk, cooked down and skimmed until the impurities are out. Newer products are vegetable-oil based.
i dont think that will work but i am not really sure

Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the cake, Sobriquet!
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they dont have crisco in egypt???

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
they have something similar
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come bake me one plz it sounds so good

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
perfect pan there dude. the shortening is like lard you have to have it. there are all kinds i have never heard of Semna but if its lard or shortening thats fine

dude ?
[Confused]

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
I have never found Crisco here....what would be similar, Mok?
and I only substitutued Semna in 2 recipes. One I can't think of right now (brain dead) and the other is for making biscuits - the kind that come with the meal ya get from KFC in the states.
and they come out great.
And I use Semna when the recipe says to grease and flour the pan.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you can try it let me know if it works
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
anyone try it? Sobriquet ? jean-bean? smucks? [Smile]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ok, so the recipe is :

4 eggs
2 cups of flour
2 tso. of baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 tspof vanilla
1/4 lb of butter.
put milk and butter over a slow fire until the butter melts then mix all the ingred together
bake at 350 until done about 25 mins. it is a layer cake only

minute fudge icing
combine 1 ounce of choc.finely chopped
1/4 cup of shortening
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1/4tea.of salt
1/4cup shortening (crisco)

bring to a boil stirring constantly boil gently 1 min. beat until lukewarm add the vanilla . beat till thick enough to spread
make sure the cake is cool first

I will try this over the next couple of days and report back. Sounds great, I'll only eat one piece and give the rest away, sounds fattening! [Wink]

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
not yet...but will soon.
promise,and will let ya know.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Sobriquet. did you try it yet? i am waiting to hereand see those pictures [Wink]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
found another recipe for the frosting that doesn't need crisco...
Frosting:
8 ounces (225 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (25 grams) cocoa powder (can use Dutch-processed or regular unsweetened cocoa powder)
3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 cups (345 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted to remove lumps
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Frosting: In a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, place the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, milk, and butter. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and beat in, with a hand mixer or wire whisk, the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. If the frosting is lumpy, strain through a strainer to remove any lumps. Cover and place the frosting in the refrigerator until it is firm (this may take a few hours). Once the frosting is firm remove from refrigerator and place in your mixing bowl. Beat the frosting for a minute or two or until it is nice and smooth and of spreading consistency

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you changed my recipe? [Frown] thats ok . i dont think it will taste the same cause it sounds like a real icing . this one i was talking about is like a glaze that hardens up. but i am willing to try yours jb thanks for the recipe
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Today is the big day mok-mok [Big Grin]

I’ll go shortly to the supermarket and buy Crisco, Hershey bar and whatever else I might need.

I am excited but I feel a little bit nervous. Ahahahahaah

This will be my first cake, ever. I cooked southern fried chicken yesterday and it came out great (ScooterSMcGee recipe from YouTube). So I have no qualms with meats, seafood and poultry.

Cakes and pastries and anything that involves dough is downright intimidating.

Gail … Thank You [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
hey make sure you use unsweetened choc. NOT HERSEYS
its baking choc you want. maybe Hersey's makes unsweetened. but it comes in blocks. not a candy bar [Big Grin] [Big Grin] good luck i know you'll do just fine . i am so excited you are going to do this. and ps. there is no dough involved [Big Grin] [Smile]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
hey make sure you use unsweetened choc. NOT HERSEYS
its baking choc you want. maybe Hersey's makes unsweetened. but it comes in blocks. not a candy bar [Big Grin] [Big Grin] good luck i know you'll do just fine . i am so excited you are going to do this. and ps. there is no dough involved [Big Grin] [Smile]

[Big Grin] You read my mind because i just PM you about the Hershey chocolate.

The pics will detail my work [Big Grin]

Thanks again for this recipe mok-mok, you make this board more fun [Smile]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

I hope to make this tomorrow so let us know how it turns out SOB. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
awwwwwwww thanks that was so sweet of you. good luck and i want to see pictures. it wont take long either very easy to make. but i will tell you one more time let the cake cool completey before you add the icing [Smile] [Razz]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

you know originally i wanted to make your gyro recipe with mok-mok's cake but

you not my fren no more

**sniff** ... **sniff**

[Razz]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
smucks gyro was awesome [Razz] you should try it
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

you know originally i wanted to make your gyro recipe with mok-mok's cake but

you not my fren no more

**sniff** ... **sniff**

[Razz]

doesn't matter, it's only a message board, friends isn't necessary. Thankfully we can all still be cordial with each other. [Razz]
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
????????????????????? what is this undercover
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think he / she wanted to post a pic of the cake he / she made but that it loooked sooooo delicious that it was forbidden [Wink]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
no he hasnt made it yet [Big Grin]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhhhhhh I want to see a picture of the cake! [Smile] At least I'll know when I make mine if it comes out 'normal'. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] yours will be just fine
seabreeze
Member # 10289

The only cake pan I have the size recommended is glass, do you think that is ok? I think I heard once if the pan is glass you have to either cook it like 10 minutes more or less. [Confused]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you will have to cook it less just test it after 15 mins with a knife if it comes out clean it is done . remember 350o and it will be fine if you smell it for the first time while cooking that means it is almost done and to check it. good luck smucks
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com