Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » hot butter sponge cake (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: hot butter sponge cake
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, thanks MM [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I bought all the ingredients and I will be ready shortly. I am however very slow in the kitchen. I also have kangaroo kool-aid with me and I plan to listen to Arabic and English music so i plan to enjoy making mok-mok’s cake and a spinach pizza inclusive of frozen spinach, ricotta(i found local) and mozzarella cheese. I need hoodooo (tranquility) in order to make everything right. [Smile]

First things first, I will treat my wife to a beauty salon for a hair cut and styling, that way I will have no distractions while I’m in the kitchen [Big Grin]

P.S I found Mazola vegetable and butter Ghee and it was cheaper than Crisco but I didn’t want to take any chances. So if it is the same, someone please let me know.

-

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

i forgot to buy the butter!!!!
[Mad]
[Mad]
[Mad]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awwwww I hate that. Can't you go to a nearby Souq and get some good yellow butter?
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
awwwww I hate that. Can't you go to a nearby Souq and get some good yellow butter?

Sheeesssh how could I forget the butter and it’s a ‘butter sponge cake’. It’s so hot outside too. My nearest neighborhood store is like 3 blocks away on a hill and the only people who buy from them are the bawabs and basic stuff like bread and soda.

Oh well good exercise.

I feel so dumb. I was just at safeway supermarket and they have everything. If the shop doesn’t have butter, I’ll take a taxi back to safeway.

I wanted everything to be perfect.

Damn

I feel dumb

The only good that might come out of this is - more kangaroo kool-aid from next to safeway [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT THE CRISCO GREAT . SO GO GET THE BUTTER AND GREAT PICTURE
WHAT IS KANGAROO KOOL-AID?

I DONT SEE THE MILK EITHER

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Ok great news. Butter will be here shortly my wife just called and said “bad news the salon only has men who cut the hair”.

[Big Grin]

She asked if I needed anything and I emphatically answered ‘yes!!! I need butter’

[Big Grin]

Alhamdu-Lillah

Those salon people are sick because we saw their sign many times, passing by them and it clearly stated ‘for women only” and they even had ‘lil mahgabat’ too written in Arabic.

That’s like false advertising!

Anyway we have more important things going on here [Big Grin]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT THE CRISCO GREAT . SO GO GET THE BUTTER AND GREAT PICTURE
WHAT IS KANGAROO KOOL-AID?

I DONT SEE THE MILK EITHER

Pardon, i skipped your post. The milk is there it's the white container "hamouda" written in Arabic. It's fresh milk.

Kangaroo kool-aid is Australia’s famous Foster's [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE FOSTERS . I HAVE A MALE HAIRDRESSER THEY ARE GREAT THE BEST . WHEN SHE COMES HOME WITH THE BUTTER TELL HER TO GO BACK SHE WILL LOVE IT [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Things are going nice and slow , This is the ‘finely chopped chocolate’ [Big Grin]

I used an axe because I placed the chocolate in the freezer before chopping it.

Insha allah the butter is on it’s way as we speak. Women … you know how they take their time [Big Grin] Ahahahahaha … I shouldn’t talk because the past hour or so I was only shaking my ass to Offspring drinking kangaroo kool-aid [Big Grin]

I have more chocolate, so if this is not enough or if i chopped it wrongly, now is the time to speak [Big Grin]

-

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no Mok...I didn't change your recipe.
I was just trying to be helpful to people in my shoes that don't have access to Crisco.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it looks good use what the direction say how much choc you need it calls for 1 ounce but more is better i say it wont hurt i guess
and jean-bean i know that ok i dont mind i was only kidding you . if you can find a great sub . please by all means do tell [Wink]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Ok i'm going to get busy now. The butter is here.

jean-bean, Metro market(s) sells Crisco the large one goes for 50 L.E Something, for the 2 kg size container (not sure of exact size)

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
is the cake in the oven yet?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
teaspoon measurements are leveled and not heaped like spices ... right!
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

how long should i mix it for manually or should i use a mixer?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

and by 'layer cake' it layers itself right? [Big Grin]

Seriously do i have to do something different than simply putting the mix in the pan?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it is just 1 layer just put all the mixture in 1 pan and just mix it till its all incorporated and measured teaspoon is right . you are doing fine relax . oh by the way i saw your laptop near the choc [Big Grin]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
it is just 1 layer just put all the mixture in 1 pan and just mix it till its all incorporated and measured teaspoon is right . you are doing fine relax . oh by the way i saw your laptop near the choc [Big Grin]

WhoBoy! this i definitely new territory, Ok i am ready to put it in the oven. i just want to be sure of something ... crisco is not part of this mix!

Just for the icing!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
correct
i will walk you thru making the icing though

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
correct
i will walk you thru making the icing though

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tefal pan is too big, the mix is too thin, i will take it out of the hug pan(16x12) and put it in the (8x12) aluminum pan

What do you think

Should i grease the other pan?!! It's not a non-stick pan

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
put all the ingred. in a pan then stick it on the stovetop on med stir till it come to a boil then stir some more for 1 minute. after this take it off the stove and add your vanilla then cool it down, you have to consistently beat it till it becomes thick . put you pan in some cold water or icecubes to cool it down. (MAKE SURE THE WATER OR ICECUBES DONT GET INTO THE MIXTURE dont make the icing till the cake is cooled down because the icing will get too thick, you will want to be able to pour over your cake with ease [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes spray this pan or butter it if you dont have spray and then flour it slightly all over ( just put a little flour in the pan and bang it around till all the flour is all over the sides and bottom of the pan)

this is worst then having a baby [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] it will be fine

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I 'made' the strawberries with chocolate ...
(recipe of Undercover)
Seemed sooooo much easier than the hot butter sponge cake [Wink] [Wink] but if I had known there was 'online support' all time ... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I might have tried.
Anyway ; Enjoy !!

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
yes spray this pan or butter it if you dont have spray and then flour it slightly all over ( just put a little flour in the pan and bang it around till all the flour is all over the sides and bottom of the pan)

this is worst then having a baby [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] it will be fine

I have butter so i will do that! So butter and no flour.

Next time the hell with kangaroo kool-aid, it will be russian kool-aid [Big Grin] the absolut variety [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
noooooooooooooooooooooooo butter the pan then put some flour in just to dust it.read above what i wrote you. i am having a grey goose shot now i am a nervous wreck [Eek!] [Big Grin]

dont you have im some where yahoo or msn? waiting to reply to you is crazy here

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

It's in the oven and i took pics along the way [Big Grin]

Just one question the mix is supposed to be elastic, right?

[Big Grin]

i need to relax now [Big Grin]

Thanks a million for guiding me through this Mok-Mok [Smile]

How would i know if it's done? Say when i look at it from time to time? I preheated the oven and it's been in there about 1 or 2 minutes so far

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Just one question the mix is supposed to be elastic, right? huh? anyway check it in 20 mins when you put a sharp knife in it and the knife comes out clean youll know it is done
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
noooooooooooooooooooooooo butter the pan then put some flour in just to dust it.read above what i wrote you. i am having a grey goose shot now i am a nervous wreck [Eek!] [Big Grin]

dont you have im some where yahoo or msn? waiting to reply to you is crazy here

i am using my laptop in the kitchen and i don't have any chatting programs on it. my pc in the other room does.

everything is fine though [Smile]

you know alchemist mentioned it in another post and well ... i feel happy ... like it will turn out right [Smile]

how could it go wrong with our executive chef guiding me step by step [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
awwwwww shucks thanks. check the cake [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] i smell it
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
awwwwww shucks thanks. check the cake [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] i smell it

A few bubbles are forming! That means it's working right. I learned that from making enchiladas (tortillas) [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes but you are making a cake and you are on your way yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)does it smell good?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
yes but you are making a cake and you are on your way yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [Wink]

20 minutes are almost up but maybe it needs more time, what color is it supposed to change to?

how high should it rise?

It smells real good , but the color is basically the same and and it is not rising that much!!

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

I took it out the oven ... the knife went right through and dry
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
now cool it completely before you make your icing. and go through the steps i told you about the icing. good job there mate [Smile]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
now cool it completely before you make your icing. and go through the steps i told you about the icing. good job there mate [Smile]

i took it out the oven and it is very spongy ... but it is more not exactly 'light brown' so 5 more minutes [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
and it is very spongy. its called a butter sponge cake silly. take a picture and let me see. but i know its done because the knife was clean. good job . no worries now until you start the icing [Eek!] [Razz]
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Job Sobriquet! Now give me a piece. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
and it is very spongy. its called a butter sponge cake silly. take a picture and let me see. but i know its done because the knife was clean. good job . no worries now until you start the icing [Eek!] [Razz]

You know before I display the pic, I just want you to know that, I am not really good at non-meat/pasta/pizza recipes.

It’s also my first cake, so don’t feel bad for me. And don’t feel bad at all … everything is fine but it didn’t turn a light brown.

I have a cheap oven, when we moved here we were desperate to acquire several basics and we bought a cheap oven. Maybe it’s the oven’s fault [Big Grin]

I’ll post the pic now while it is cooling. It is spongy though and it almost an inch thick in the middle.

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't talk soooo much [Wink] [Wink]
Show us the pic !!!!!

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i am very proud of you bravo for trying this now you'll know how to do again if you like it and with out my help [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

-
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[Smile] Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I need another kangaroo kool-aid, i am so relieved [Big Grin] ... notice the edge that is my nibble. [Smile]

whoBOYYY!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
ahhhhhhhhhhh it doesnt look right but i think it could be the baking powder read the experation date maybe thats why it didnt rise. does it taste like cake or dough?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
ahhhhhhhhhhh it doesnt look right but i think it could be the baking powder read the experation date maybe thats why it didnt rise. does it taste like cake or dough?

It tastes like bread/cake/spongy but not like dough. Spongy texture that's for sure ... nothing like your typical fluffy cake

it tastes good [Smile] need sugar though imho [Big Grin]

i didn't use the baking powder i bought today, i used one that was open in the cabinet and it doesn't have an expiration date or production date.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
that means that the baking powder expired. you need fresh baking powder always in baking . ok mister start over again [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . is it cool yet ? lets see if the icing comes out
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
that means that the baking powder expired. you need fresh baking powder always in baking . ok mister start over again [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . is it cool yet ? lets see if the icing comes out

What do you mean start over! [Big Grin] khalas enough for one day ... ya gameel [Smile]

i took another pic and if you think it is worth making an icing for ... then i will make an icing.

[Smile]

So what do you think?

here's the pic:

-

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't have cake without icing. Get to it!!
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com