EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Race and IQ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Race and IQ
AryanEgypt
Member # 16469

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AryanEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets debate please this is an example of a bias source.

Blacks score the lowest IQ its a fact.

http://www.africaresource.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=528:race-intelligence-and-iq-are-blacks-smarter&catid=105:genetics&Itemid=360

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol OnTopic?

The Egyptology section is basically the on topic section.

The Ancient Egypt section you can talk about anything anywhere from your day at the asylum all the way to how you might fathom what alien genitals would look like.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Blacks score the lowest IQ its a fact.'

Maybe. But that doesn't mean they are less intelligent.

Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AryanEgypt
Member # 16469

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AryanEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think blacks are mentally incapable of building a civilization like Egypt.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African immigrants also achieve the highest level of education than any other immigrant group. It's a fact.
Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arabegypt:

Yet East Africans the first to figure out how to make steel from raw iron ore?

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi385.htm

Maybe you are mentally incapable of reasonable thought?

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You must have a low intelligence to believe that.

All humans have the same intellectual capability, black, white or other. I really believe that.

Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
ScarabEgypt

Maybe you need to read this book

One day you too can join us among the intelligent and leave the kingdom of stupidom forever.

Hotep

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checked out the page linked to in the opening post. It actually deals with the topic very thoroughly. It fully addresses everything most people look at.

There are also paradigm and viewpoint, as well as the subjective nature of how things get defined as being more intelligent vs less, which the article only briefly touches on.

quote:
Cole et al (1971) studied a tribe in Africa called the “Kpelle” in which culture was shown to have a rather humorous effect on interpretations of intelligence. In this study adult participants were asked to sort items into categories. However, rather than producing the kind of taxonomic categories (e.g. "fruit" for apple) typically done in the west, the Kpelle participants sorted items into functional groups (e.g. "eat" for apple). After trying and “failing” to teach them to categorize items taxonomically, the Kpelle were asked as a last resort how a “stupid” person would do the task. At that point, according to the researchers, without any hesitation, the Kpelle sorted items into taxonomic categories (Cole et al., 1971)! Demonstrating that not only where they able to do the presented tasks, but in their own culture, what was considered intelligent by western views was believed to be “stupid.”
There are a great many things that "we" haven't been looking at in the most expedient (in a way [Wink] ) way in terms of the sciences, and new discoveries are constantly challenging us to look at things from another perspective.

There are also many different ways to learn the things we already know in the maths, languages and sciences we teach (many teachers have different styles of teaching).

But that's only the tippy, and has no direct bearing on why IQ gaps would exist between different groups within a society.

This might do:

Given the long and rapid discussions here on the topic of "whether average NOMINAL IQ scores of sociological populations do truly reflect the NATURAL cognitive abilities of such populations or whether they are purely culture/environmenta driven" here's another interesting observation on the topic by Malcolm Gladwell -- author of the powerful book about the human mind Blink wherein a study is mentioned in which people were tested and blacks outperformed whites when they were told they would be competing in a "game" but were outperformed when it was referred to as an intelligence "test". Peep the bolded paragraphs below, it was posted here a while ago, it covers what you're missing.

quote:
If what I.Q. tests measure is immutable and innate, what explains the Flynn effect—the steady rise in scores across generations?

One Saturday in November of 1984, James Flynn, a social scientist at the University of Otago, in New Zealand, received a large package in the mail. It was from a colleague in Utrecht, and it contained the results of I.Q. tests given to two generations of Dutch eighteen-year-olds. When Flynn looked through the data, he found something puzzling. The Dutch eighteen-year-olds from the nineteen-eighties scored better than those who took the same tests in the nineteen-fifties—and not just slightly better, much better.

Curious, Flynn sent out some letters. He collected intelligence-test results from Europe, from North America, from Asia, and from the developing world, until he had data for almost thirty countries. In every case, the story was pretty much the same. I.Q.s around the world appeared to be rising by 0.3 points per year, or three points per decade, for as far back as the tests had been administered. For some reason, human beings seemed to be getting smarter.

Flynn has been writing about the implications of his findings—now known as the Flynn effect—for almost twenty-five years. His books consist of a series of plainly stated statistical observations, in support of deceptively modest conclusions, and the evidence in support of his original observation is now so overwhelming that the Flynn effect has moved from theory to fact. What remains uncertain is how to make sense of the Flynn effect. If an American born in the nineteen-thirties has an I.Q. of 100, the Flynn effect says that his children will have I.Q.s of 108, and his grandchildren I.Q.s of close to 120—more than a standard deviation higher. If we work in the opposite direction, the typical teen-ager of today, with an I.Q. of 100, would have had grandparents with average I.Q.s of 82—seemingly below the threshold necessary to graduate from high school. And, if we go back even farther, the Flynn effect puts the average I.Q.s of the schoolchildren of 1900 at around 70, which is to suggest, bizarrely, that a century ago the United States was populated largely by people who today would be considered mentally retarded.

For almost as long as there have been I.Q. tests, there have been I.Q. fundamentalists. H. H. Goddard, in the early years of the past century, established the idea that intelligence could be measured along a single, linear scale. One of his particular contributions was to coin the word “moron.” “The people who are doing the drudgery are, as a rule, in their proper places,” he wrote. Goddard was followed by Lewis Terman, in the nineteen-twenties, who rounded up the California children with the highest I.Q.s, and confidently predicted that they would sit at the top of every profession. In 1969, the psychometrician Arthur Jensen argued that programs like Head Start, which tried to boost the academic performance of minority children, were doomed to failure, because I.Q. was so heavily genetic; and in 1994 Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray, in “The Bell Curve,” notoriously proposed that Americans with the lowest I.Q.s be sequestered in a “high-tech” version of an Indian reservation, “while the rest of America tries to go about its business.” To the I.Q. fundamentalist, two things are beyond dispute: first, that I.Q. tests measure some hard and identifiable trait that predicts the quality of our thinking; and, second, that this trait is stable—that is, it is determined by our genes and largely impervious to environmental influences.

This is what James Watson, the co-discoverer of DNA, meant when he told an English newspaper recently that he was “inherently gloomy” about the prospects for Africa. From the perspective of an I.Q. fundamentalist, the fact that Africans score lower than Europeans on I.Q. tests suggests an ineradicable cognitive disability. In the controversy that followed, Watson was defended by the journalist William Saletan,
in a three-part series for the online magazine Slate. Drawing heavily on the work of J. Philippe Rushton—a psychologist who specializes in comparing the circumference of what he calls the Negroid brain with the length of the Negroid penis—Saletan took the fundamentalist position to its logical conclusion. To erase the difference between blacks and whites, Saletan wrote, would probably require vigorous interbreeding between the races, or some kind of corrective genetic engineering aimed at upgrading African stock. “Economic and cultural theories have failed to explain most of the pattern,” Saletan declared, claiming to have been “soaking [his] head in each side’s computations and arguments.” One argument that Saletan never soaked his head in, however, was Flynn’s, because what Flynn discovered in his mailbox upsets the certainties upon which I.Q. fundamentalism rests. If whatever the thing is that I.Q. tests measure can jump so much in a generation, it can’t be all that immutable and it doesn’t look all that innate.

The very fact that average I.Q.s shift over time ought to create a “crisis of confidence,” Flynn writes in “What Is Intelligence?” (Cambridge; $22), his latest attempt to puzzle through the implications of his discovery. “How could such huge gains be intelligence gains? Either the children of today were far brighter than their parents or, at least in some circumstances, I.Q. tests were not good measures of intelligence.”

The best way to understand why I.Q.s rise, Flynn argues, is to look at one of the most widely used I.Q. tests, the so-called WISC (for Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children). The WISC is composed of ten subtests, each of which measures a different aspect of I.Q. Flynn points out that scores in some of the categories—those measuring general knowledge, say, or vocabulary or the ability to do basic arithmetic—have risen only modestly over time. The big gains on the WISC are largely in the category known as “similarities,” where you get questions such as “In what way are ‘dogs’ and ‘rabbits’ alike?” Today, we tend to give what, for the purposes of I.Q. tests, is the right answer: dogs and rabbits are both mammals. A nineteenth-century American would have said that “you use dogs to hunt rabbits.”  -

“If the everyday world is your cognitive home, it is not natural to detach abstractions and logic and the hypothetical from their concrete referents,” Flynn writes. Our great-grandparents may have been perfectly intelligent. But they would have done poorly on I.Q. tests because they did not participate in the twentieth century’s great cognitive revolution, in which we learned to sort experience according to a new set of abstract categories. In Flynn’s phrase, we have now had to put on “scientific spectacles,” which enable us to make sense of the WISC questions about similarities. To say that Dutch I.Q. scores rose substantially between 1952 and 1982 was another way of saying that the Netherlands in 1982 was, in at least certain respects, much more cognitively demanding than the Netherlands in 1952. An I.Q., in other words, measures not so much how smart we are as how modern we are.

This is a critical distinction. When the children of Southern Italian immigrants were given I.Q. tests in the early part of the past century, for example, they recorded median scores in the high seventies and low eighties, a full standard deviation below their American and Western European counterparts. Southern Italians did as poorly on I.Q. tests as Hispanics and blacks did. As you can imagine, there was much concerned talk at the time about the genetic inferiority of Italian stock, of the inadvisability of letting so many second-class immigrants into the United States, and of the squalor that seemed endemic to Italian urban neighborhoods. Sound familiar? These days, when talk turns to the supposed genetic differences in the intelligence of certain races, Southern Italians have disappeared from the discussion. “Did their genes begin to mutate somewhere in the 1930s?” the psychologists Seymour Sarason and John Doris ask, in their account of the Italian experience. “Or is it possible that somewhere in the 1920s, if not earlier, the sociocultural history of Italo-Americans took a turn from the blacks and the Spanish Americans which permitted their assimilation into the general undifferentiated mass of Americans?”

The psychologist Michael Cole and some colleagues once gave members of the Kpelle tribe, in Liberia, a version of the WISC similarities test: they took a basket of food, tools, containers, and clothing and asked the tribesmen to sort them into appropriate categories. To the frustration of the researchers, the Kpelle chose functional pairings. They put a potato and a knife together because a knife is used to cut a potato. “A wise man could only do such-and-such,” they explained. Finally, the researchers asked, “How would a fool do it?” The tribesmen immediately re-sorted the items into the “right” categories. It can be argued that taxonomical categories are a developmental improvement—that is, that the Kpelle would be more likely to advance, technologically and scientifically, if they started to see the world that way. But to label them less intelligent than Westerners, on the basis of their performance on that test, is merely to state that they have different cognitive preferences and habits. And if I.Q. varies with habits of mind, which can be adopted or discarded in a generation, what, exactly, is all the fuss about?

When I was growing up, my family would sometimes play Twenty Questions on long car trips. My father was one of those people who insist that the standard categories of animal, vegetable, and mineral be supplemented with a fourth category: “abstract.” Abstract could mean something like “whatever it was that was going through my mind when we drove past the water tower fifty miles back.” That abstract category sounds absurdly difficult, but it wasn’t: it merely required that we ask a slightly different set of questions and grasp a slightly different set of conventions, and, after two or three rounds of practice, guessing the contents of someone’s mind fifty miles ago becomes as easy as guessing Winston Churchill. (There is one exception. That was the trip on which my old roommate Tom Connell chose, as an abstraction, “the Unknown Soldier”—which allowed him legitimately and gleefully to answer “I have no idea” to almost every question. There were four of us playing. We gave up after an hour.) Flynn would say that my father was teaching his three sons how to put on scientific spectacles, and that extra practice probably bumped up all of our I.Q.s a few notches. But let’s be clear about what this means. There’s a world of difference between an I.Q. advantage that’s genetic and one that depends on extended car time with Graham Gladwell.

Flynn is a cautious and careful writer. Unlike many others in the I.Q. debates, he resists grand philosophizing. He comes back again and again to the fact that I.Q. scores are generated by paper-and-pencil tests—and making sense of those scores, he tells us, is a messy and complicated business that requires something closer to the skills of an accountant than to those of a philosopher.

For instance, Flynn shows what happens when we recognize that I.Q. is not a freestanding number but a value attached to a specific time and a specific test. When an I.Q. test is created, he reminds us, it is calibrated or “normed” so that the test-takers in the fiftieth percentile—those exactly at the median—are assigned a score of 100. But since I.Q.s are always rising, the only way to keep that hundred-point benchmark is periodically to make the tests more difficult—to “renorm” them.
The original WISC was normed in the late nineteen-forties. It was then renormed in the early nineteen-seventies, as the WISC-R; renormed a third time in the late eighties, as the WISC III; and renormed again a few years ago, as the WISC IV—with each version just a little harder than its predecessor. The notion that anyone “has” an I.Q. of a certain number, then, is meaningless unless you know which WISC he took, and when he took it, since there’s a substantial difference between getting a 130 on the WISC IV and getting a 130 on the much easier WISC.

This is not a trivial issue. I.Q. tests are used to diagnose people as mentally retarded, with a score of 70 generally taken to be the cutoff. You can imagine how the Flynn effect plays havoc with that system. In the nineteen-seventies and eighties, most states used the WISC-R to make their mental-retardation diagnoses. But since kids—even kids with disabilities—score a little higher every year, the number of children whose scores fell below 70 declined steadily through the end of the eighties. Then, in 1991, the WISC III was introduced, and suddenly the percentage of kids labelled retarded went up. The psychologists Tomoe Kanaya, Matthew Scullin, and Stephen Ceci estimated that, if every state had switched to the WISC III right away, the number of Americans labelled mentally retarded should have doubled.

That is an extraordinary number. The diagnosis of mental disability is one of the most stigmatizing of all educational and occupational classifications—and yet, apparently, the chances of being burdened with that label are in no small degree a function of the point, in the life cycle of the WISC, at which a child happens to sit for his evaluation. “As far as I can determine, no clinical or school psychologists using the WISC over the relevant 25 years noticed that its criterion of mental retardation became more lenient over time,” Flynn wrote, in a 2000 paper. “Yet no one drew the obvious moral about psychologists in the field: They simply were not making any systematic assessment of the I.Q. criterion for mental retardation.”

Flynn brings a similar precision to the question of whether Asians have a genetic advantage in I.Q., a possibility that has led to great excitement among I.Q. fundamentalists in recent years. Data showing that the Japanese had higher I.Q.s than people of European descent, for example, prompted the British psychometrician and eugenicist Richard Lynn to concoct an elaborate evolutionary explanation involving the Himalayas, really cold weather, premodern hunting practices, brain size, and specialized vowel sounds. The fact that the I.Q.s of Chinese-Americans also seemed to be elevated has led I.Q. fundamentalists to posit the existence of an international I.Q. pyramid, with Asians at the top, European whites next, and Hispanics and blacks at the bottom.

Here was a question tailor-made for James Flynn’s accounting skills. He looked first at Lynn’s data, and realized that the comparison was skewed. Lynn was comparing American I.Q. estimates based on a representative sample of schoolchildren with Japanese estimates based on an upper-income, heavily urban sample. Recalculated, the Japanese average came in not at 106.6 but at 99.2. Then Flynn turned his attention to the Chinese-American estimates.
They turned out to be based on a 1975 study in San Francisco’s Chinatown using something called the Lorge-Thorndike Intelligence Test. But the Lorge-Thorndike test was normed in the nineteen-fifties. For children in the nineteen-seventies, it would have been a piece of cake. When the Chinese-American scores were reassessed using up-to-date intelligence metrics, Flynn found, they came in at 97 verbal and 100 nonverbal. Chinese-Americans had slightly lower I.Q.s than white Americans.

The Asian-American success story had suddenly been turned on its head. The numbers now suggested, Flynn said, that they had succeeded not because of their higher I.Q.s. but despite their lower I.Q.s. Asians were overachievers.
In a nifty piece of statistical analysis, Flynn then worked out just how great that overachievement was. Among whites, virtually everyone who joins the ranks of the managerial, professional, and technical occupations has an I.Q. of 97 or above. Among Chinese-Americans, that threshold is 90. A Chinese-American with an I.Q. of 90, it would appear, does as much with it as a white American with an I.Q. of 97.

There should be no great mystery about Asian achievement. It has to do with hard work and dedication to higher education, and belonging to a culture that stresses professional success. But Flynn makes one more observation. The children of that first successful wave of Asian-Americans really did have I.Q.s that were higher than everyone else’s—coming in somewhere around 103.
Having worked their way into the upper reaches of the occupational scale, and taken note of how much the professions value abstract thinking, Asian-American parents have evidently made sure that their own children wore scientific spectacles. “Chinese Americans are an ethnic group for whom high achievement preceded high I.Q. rather than the reverse,” Flynn concludes, reminding us that in our discussions of the relationship between I.Q. and success we often confuse causes and effects. “It is not easy to view the history of their achievements without emotion,” he writes. That is exactly right. To ascribe Asian success to some abstract number is to trivialize it.

Two weeks ago, Flynn came to Manhattan to debate Charles Murray at a forum sponsored by the Manhattan Institute. Their subject was the black-white I.Q. gap in America. During the twenty-five years after the Second World War, that gap closed considerably. The I.Q.s of white Americans rose, as part of the general worldwide Flynn effect, but the I.Q.s of black Americans rose faster. Then, for about a period of twenty-five years, that trend stalled—and the question was why.

Murray showed a series of PowerPoint slides, each representing different statistical formulations of the I.Q. gap. He appeared to be pessimistic that the racial difference would narrow in the future. “By the nineteen-seventies, you had gotten most of the juice out of the environment that you were going to get,” he said. That gap, he seemed to think, reflected some inherent difference between the races. “Starting in the nineteen-seventies, to put it very crudely, you had a higher proportion of black kids being born to really dumb mothers,” he said. When the debate’s moderator, Jane Waldfogel, informed him that the most recent data showed that the race gap had begun to close again, Murray seemed unimpressed, as if the possibility that blacks could ever make further progress was inconceivable.

Flynn took a different approach. The black-white gap, he pointed out, differs dramatically by age. He noted that the tests we have for measuring the cognitive functioning of infants, though admittedly crude, show the races to be almost the same. By age four, the average black I.Q. is 95.4—only four and a half points behind the average white I.Q. Then the real gap emerges: from age four through twenty-four, blacks lose six-tenths of a point a year, until their scores settle at 83.4.

That steady decline, Flynn said, did not resemble the usual pattern of genetic influence. Instead, it was exactly what you would expect, given the disparate cognitive environments that whites and blacks encounter as they grow older. Black children are more likely to be raised in single-parent homes than are white children—and single-parent homes are less cognitively complex than two-parent homes. The average I.Q. of first-grade students in schools that blacks attend is 95, which means that “kids who want to be above average don’t have to aim as high.” There were possibly adverse differences between black teen-age culture and white teen-age culture, and an enormous number of young black men are in jail—which is hardly the kind of environment in which someone would learn to put on scientific spectacles.

Flynn then talked about what we’ve learned from studies of adoption and mixed-race children—and that evidence didn’t fit a genetic model, either. If I.Q. is innate, it shouldn’t make a difference whether it’s a mixed-race child’s mother or father who is black. But it does: children with a white mother and a black father have an eight-point I.Q. advantage over those with a black mother and a white father. And it shouldn’t make much of a difference where a mixed-race child is born. But, again, it does: the children fathered by black American G.I.s in postwar Germany and brought up by their German mothers have the same I.Q.s as the children of white American G.I.s and German mothers. The difference, in that case, was not the fact of the children’s blackness, as a fundamentalist would say. It was the fact of their Germanness—of their being brought up in a different culture, under different circumstances. “The mind is much more like a muscle than we’ve ever realized,” Flynn said. “It needs to get cognitive exercise. It’s not some piece of clay on which you put an indelible mark.” The lesson to be drawn from black and white differences was the same as the lesson from the Netherlands years ago: I.Q. measures not just the quality of a person’s mind but the quality of the world that person lives in.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by unfinished thought.:
All humans have the same intellectual capability, black, white or other.

Well ... "all brains are gray", if that's what you mean. It's a saying that means brains don't type "racially" or ethnically or anything like that. No "African American" or "black American" or "Caucasian American" brains.

Women have smaller heads on average, but an adaptation enables them to think faster than men and multitask more expediantly.

Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freehand:
quote:
“If the everyday world is your cognitive home, it is not natural to detach abstractions and logic and the hypothetical from their concrete referents,” Flynn writes. Our great-grandparents may have been perfectly intelligent. But they would have done poorly on I.Q. tests because they did not participate in the twentieth century’s great cognitive revolution, in which we learned to sort experience according to a new set of abstract categories. In Flynn’s phrase, we have now had to put on “scientific spectacles,” which enable us to make sense of the WISC questions about similarities. To say that Dutch I.Q. scores rose substantially between 1952 and 1982 was another way of saying that the Netherlands in 1982 was, in at least certain respects, much more cognitively demanding than the Netherlands in 1952. An I.Q., in other words, measures not so much how smart we are as how modern we are.

I think this quote sums up the inadequacy of IQ tests and their ability to measure intelligence. Firstly, IQ tests are inextricably linked to a certain style of learning, there is nothing 'general' about the knowledge that is tested in IQ. For instance, in developed nations, if you asked them to cluster four objects (ie. Mud, Clay, Spade and Knife) into two groups, the 'correct' answer in the IQ test would likely be:
Group 1: Mud, Clay
Group 2: Spade, Knife

Whereas a agriculturalist or rural person who has not had a city based education would choose:

Group 1: Spade, Mud
Group 2: Clay, Knife

Equally as logically (if not more so), but in the confinds of an IQ test, would be classified as incorrect.

Further to this, animals, and natural extractions common to Europe and America will not be common to a rural African, and hence lacking the formalised education structure, 'general' knowledge becomes that much more difficult.

Further to this, there was likely huge bias in the selection of who was chosen to represent 'blacks' (probably the most diverse ethnic group), and out of each nationality, the children that were chosen. I once taught in an inner city area in London, in an area filled with crime, abuse and paedophilia. These (working class white) people on average were EXTREMELY unintelligent, the school sent on average 1 student to university every 5-8 years! So, one wonders if schools like this were AVOIDED when formulating the European (English) cluster... [Smile]

Add to this, your average diaspora African in the UK scores much better than your average Brit in the UK at both further education and post graduate education, and the IQ argument becomes even more weak.

Add to this that Nigerian immigrants are OFFICIALLY the most educated people in the US with 8% holding PhD's [Eek!] , you can quickly see that the whole IQ argument is a big farse. Trust me, NO African in the world is threatened by these statistics, we know that the African schooling system is far more rigourous and that African children on the whole, are the most intelligent children you will ever meet in your life, obviously the average literacy rate is still much lower than it should be, but this is linked directly to poverty, whereas, in the UK where low literacy is linked to dole-collecting-inbred communities.

Studies like the IQ/race study show how desperate and threatened the West are by Africa's extremely intelligent diaspora who seem to outperform them at every level. I don't see why people fail to understand that surveys can be clustered and interpreted to present ANY data that you want them to present. In fact, I'll perform my own IQ tests one day to prove that very point.

On a side note arabegypt you are aware that arab's scored next lowest on these biased IQ test's aren't you?

Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Is there really a need for these long, well documented, educated responses to an attention seeking simple-minded troll? To which said troll will either parrot the company line over and over or simply avoid and never respond?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

I wasn't talking to the troll, other than in my first post (in which i was also talking to any mod that might see the thread which will probably eventually be closed).

What i just posted was already posted and for any "real" people that might breeze by, conveniantly posted within the top of the first page in the first several posts incase this thread explodes like stupid ones usually do.

Perhaps even the troll may not be a total robot or concernless instigator.

I have other thoughts that would actually do good for understanding the phenom, probably about a paragraph long or so, but it would just open up for any bad trolls to troll on (i don't mind the good ones and sometimes don't even mean "troll" when i say it negatively ... at times i mean any faking to be a gender or ethny just to instigate, or something).

AryanEgypt
Member # 16469

Rate Member
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=585581

We debunked that Nigerian most educated nonsense here.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks I told you this is another sockpuppet of the troll known as vida, wolofi, e3.. something, etc, etc.

His postings are another cry for ointment for his penile blisters.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Arabegypt the IQ of modern Egyptians is some 82 points--less than that of African Americans--who are 83% strictly African. And throw in the fact that the majority of AA males are E3a--haplogroupwise.

Now before you bring up Stormfront nonsense about Egypt being overwhelmed by invading black genes--which led to its downfall, note that the average IQ of modern Iran is 83 and that of Iraq--84.

And by the way modern Greece clocks in at 94--pace Plato, Thales and Aristotle.

And what about the land of the real Arabs--Arabia. They score 81.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirInfamous
Member # 16497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirInfamous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Italians have the highest IQ in Europe!

take that "Nordicists"!

Posts: 143 | From: The United States Of America (sadly) | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
[QB] But Arabegypt the IQ of modern Egyptians is some 82 points--less than that of African Americans--who are 83

Even this data is outdated.. Dickens and Flynn found that between 1972-2002, it rose to over 88. This has been cited as proof that IQ test scores are malleable and not pre-determined (but environmentally determined).

You guys should stop responding to this idiot (I mean, c'mon, now he's resorting to posting stormfront links).. He even admits that all he does is paste from racist websites. This has all been covered before, mainly as a consequence of the former troll, Shaun002...

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003974;p=1

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005867;p=1

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000384;p=1

^By time we got around to the last topic, he was forced to concede.. There is nothing to debunk here! Mods need to close this thread.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirInfamous
Member # 16497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirInfamous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Sundjata

African Americans are 85 I believe, They are mongrels anyways so they are not good test subjects. Obama is a an "African American" and he is half Northern European.

Nothing is 100% Environmental, biological determination is the main factor in any "talents" or "flaws".

We know individuals range, and intelligence is highly heritable. I don't why these laws don't apply to groups.

Posts: 143 | From: The United States Of America (sadly) | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AryanEgypt
Member # 16469

Rate Member
The Negroids crave some form of accomplishment whether it be all out lies, fables or taking credit for another races works.
The so call Afrocentric movement fabricate their so called history *or lack thereof* through drug induced hallucinations.
Deep down inside all Negroids know they are inferior hence why they must proclaim their humanity.
We have an entire section of study on the Negroid over at www.chimpout.com, feel free to take a look.

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=585084

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SirInfamous:
[QB] @Sundjata

African Americans are 85

I just told you they were above 88 (higher than latest Arab estimates) after citing Dickens and Flynn. You're in no position to contradict that and "mongrelism" at less than 20% is irrelevant when the IQ isn't stationary. The theory promoted by racialists has been that IQ test scores are static and thus, genetically determined. With improving social conditions favorable to higher IQs among previously destitute populations, AAs gained in g on whites by 5-6 points. This is impossible if it were genetic so this discussion is stupid.. Read the links I posted! I am not responding in this thread anymore..

Egyptology section I see lacks sufficient moderation here as well.. Trolls run wild where ever they go, jeeze.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Gene expression tells us so much more than the genes do:

things works like this -- genetic potential (succeptibility/ability)

-- environmental stimuli and oppertunities/cues.

This was juast posted:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheAmericanPatriot:
Africans both in the west and in Africa have had a difficult time adjusting to the modern western culture that now dominates the world. Low IQ, antiquated cultural constructs result in making it very difficult to move them into the modern world. Even in the west they make a mess out of everything they try to run. As one Pennsylvania legislator pointed out they seem determined in major cities to commit cultural genocide.

On one hand TheAmericanPatriot has a point, look at this descrepency in the way white family and black family -adopted black children performed:

quote:
"Compared mean IQ test performance and response styles to cognitive demands of the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC) among 23 Black children (aged 7-10 yrs) who had been adopted by middle-class White families (i.e., transracially adopted) and 23 age-matched Black children who had been adopted by middle-class Black families (i.e., traditionally adopted). Findings indicate that while the traditionally adopted Ss received normal IQ scores, transracially adopted Ss showed nearly 1 standard deviation Full-Scale Scoring advantage over them. A multiple analysis of variance (MANOVA) indicated significant differences in the styles of responding to test demands demonstrated by the 2 groups of Ss, which were conceptualized as contributors to the difference in average test score observed between them. Multivariate analysis of the helping behaviors adopted mothers exhibited when helping their children solve a difficult cognitive task revealed significant differences between Black and White mothers, which were conceptualized as culturally determined. White adopted mothers tended to release tension by joking, grinning, and laughing, while Black adoptive mothers more often released tension in less positive ways such as scowling, coughing, and frowning. White adoptive mothers were more likely than Black adoptive mothers to provide positive evaluations of their children's problem solving efforts. It is concluded that the ethnicity of the rearing environment exerts a significant influence on children's styles of responding to standardized intelligence tests and on their test achievement.".
- Moore 1986

The above basically shows that culture is crucial as TheAmericanPatriot suggests.

In the study, those Blacks raised with White families had a mean IQ of 117, while those Blacks who were raised in Black families had an IQ that was substantially lower.

This effect is evident in a paper by Willerman (1974), finding that mixed children with White mothers and Black fathers had an IQ 9 points higher than mixed children with Black mothers and White fathers. Even though today white men out perform black men in level of college education as well as careers and black women do as well as white women (if not better).

Society would predict that women play a larger role in nurturing children while building them the skills necessary to attain a high IQ. White women on average are obviously in a better socio-economic position to do that.

quote:
"An experiment by Tizard and colleagues compared black and white orphans who had all been raised in the same highly enriched institutional environment. At four or five years of age, white children had IQs of 103, black children had IQs of 108, and children of mixed race had IQs of 106."

There are even better examples (better as the scores are only one or two points apart) out there.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arabegypt,
Be serious now. You just evaded the replies made to your bogus claims with irrelevant stuff.

By the way, the true "mongrels" are the very peoples you hold in esteem: the Arabs of West Asia and those parts of North Africa that wwere bastardised by the Turks, French, Greeks, Romans and other assorted invaders from Europe--post the fall of Egypt. But such fold cover up their obvious bastardy with the vague and phony appellation "Arab".

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I disagree.
Posts: 1106 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Possible reasons why where black americans are concerned about skills so many black americans culturally are almost completely concerned with things like how good your dance game, basketball, football game, singing skills or other "other" (related to entertainment) is?

Possibly because psychologically entertainment and games the only things in the locked room of one's potential that are seen as possibilities, the only things marked "for blacks"?

It's not like we come from our own rich "father"-culture like the top immigrants (people from India and Africa) -- or at least one where we [generally] feel accepted.

scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unfinished thought.:
quote:

You must have a low intelligence to believe that.

All humans have the same intellectual capability, black, white or other. I really believe that.

I agree.
Posts: 1106 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morpheus
Member # 16203

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some good info in this thread. Obviously ArabEgypt is not capable of engaging in a discussion he started, the research is too high brow for him but I for one appreciate the contributions on the subject.

I've been doing my own research on the topic of race and intelligence.

Scientific Racism is the one area where Egalitarians have trouble debating racists because they don't understand the IQ research. To date there is no proof of genetically determined racial differences in IQ and plenty of studies refute the theory of a genetic component to racial IQ gaps.

Here's a good summary of the various studies on the subject:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nisbett/racegen.pdf

Posts: 647 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hummm, well, a person is not a racist based on the position they take on this issue. If you go to any integrated school in America and walk into an honors class you will find 18 white kids and 2 black kids. The lower the classes you attend the more black kids you will find. Now, that is not a racist remark, just a fact.
Most of the IQ studies before it became politically incorect to discuss race showed European Jews, Asians and euro American whites on top of the IQ heap in that order with blacks dead last.

Is there something to it, probably, but how much is cultural and how much is genetic is up for debate. Probably some of both.

Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morpheus
Member # 16203

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
hummm, well, a person is not a racist based on the position they take on this issue. If you go to any integrated school in America and walk into an honors class you will find 18 white kids and 2 black kids. The lower the classes you attend the more black kids you will find. Now, that is not a racist remark, just a fact.
Most of the IQ studies before it became politically incorect to discuss race showed European Jews, Asians and euro American whites on top of the IQ heap in that order with blacks dead last.

Is there something to it, probably, but how much is cultural and how much is genetic is up for debate. Probably some of both.

Source?......

Who am I kidding? You never have sources for your nonsense. [Roll Eyes]

Like I said, plenty of studies refute the genetic hypothesis the most significant of them being Flynn's finding that the Black American IQ average has risen steadily over the past 30 years indicating that improvement in environmental conditions has improved Black academic performance.

It is often asserted that Black Americans have made no IQ gains on White Americans. Until recently, there have been no adequate data to measure trends in Black IQ. We analyzed data from nine standardization samples for four major tests of cognitive ability. These data suggest that Blacks gained 4 to 7 IQ points on non-Hispanic Whites between 1972 and 2002. Gains have been fairly uniform across the entire range of Black cognitive ability.

Source: Black Americans Reduce the Racial IQ Gap: Evidence From Standardization Samples

Abstract

Posts: 647 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the standardized test scores are avilable by state broken down by race. Black kids do very poorly in most cases. They may well have made gains, I have not seen the numbers from the 70's but they could not have been much lower.
The Asian kids are great to have in class at any level.

Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morpheus
Member # 16203

Rate Member
quote:
All of the standardized test scores are avilable by state broken down by race. Black kids do very poorly in most cases. They may well have made gains, I have not seen the numbers from the 70's but they could not have been much lower.
The Asian kids are great to have in class at any level.

That doesn't support your assertion that Blacks do poorly in integrated schools.

Take a look at the Flynn study if you want.

http://www.brookings.edu/views/papers/dickens/20060619_iq.pdf

If the Black/White American IQ gap reflected an immutable, genetically determined difference in intelligence between races there would be no significant improvements. Yet there have been.

Segregation created the Socio-Economic disparity between Black and White Americans.

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Jesus Christ man, have you seen the TAKS scores for black schools? If had ever taught in an actual classroom you would not feel that way. They are nearly as smart as whites and asians, not the ones I have taught. The gap is huge. I agree some of it is cultural but not all.
The public school teachers I talk to say it is not much better.
Improvement? some. Significant improvement? no.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus:

Segregation created the Socio-Economic disparity between Black and White Americans.

Couldn't help but to co-sign this..

quote:
This paper examines the argument presented in The Bell Curve. A central argument is that one factor--g--accounts for correlation across test scores and performance in society. Another central argument is that g cannot be manipulated. These arguments are combined to claim that social policies designed to improve social performance cannot be effective. A reanalysis of the evidence contradicts this story. The factors that explain wages receive different weights than the factors that explain test scores. More than g is required to explain either. Other factors besides g contribute to social performance and they can be manipulated.
- James J. Heckman.
The Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 103, No. 5 (Oct., 1995), pp. 1091-1120

Morpheus
Member # 16203

Rate Member
quote:
Jesus Christ man, have you seen the TAKS scores for black schools? If had ever taught in an actual classroom you would not feel that way. They are nearly as smart as whites and asians, not the ones I have taught. The gap is huge. I agree some of it is cultural but not all.
The public school teachers I talk to say it is not much better.
Improvement? some. Significant improvement? no.

Where are those stats on academic performance of Black Americans in integrated schools, professor?

Predominately Black schools are disproportionately located in low income areas where the school districts are poorly funded.

And why are Blacks disproportionately poor?

Racist discrimination.

You want to believe that Blacks are intellectually inferior because you are a racist.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

DO African immigrants make the smartest Americans? If you were judging by statistics alone, you could find plenty of evidence to back it up. - Click Here

Also see: "African-Born Blacks in the United Kingdom Are Far More Likely than Whites to Hold a College Degree", The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 34 (Winter, 2001-2002), pp. 29-31

Covered extensively in the link provided at the top of the page, starting with:

"African Blacks significantly Exceed Whites in Educational Attainment and Occupational Status"

on down...

http://www.africaresource.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=528:race-intelligence-and-iq-are-blacks-smarter&catid=105:genetics&Itemid=360

AP's delusions are irrelevant people..

quote:
Originally posted by thegaul:
African immigrants also achieve the highest level of education than any other immigrant group. It's a fact.

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Morpheus, I agree some of it is cultural, but not all. I noticed you throw in racism as a problem right off the bat. As long as you see it that way we can never make progress. Blacks always want to shift the blame from themselves to someone else.
Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
[QB] Morpheus, I agree some of it is cultural, but not all.

Who cares since your opinion is based on religious faith. There is plenty already posted which debunks you. You are a spineless racist who lacks credibility.
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Baloney. You simply refuse to educate yourself Sundjata. All of those standard scores are on the net....again educate yourself. If I tell you it is going to rain you need to get an umbrella.
If you take the time to look up the scores you will prove to yourself that you are a true moron.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
[QB] Baloney. You simply refuse to educate yourself Sundjata. All of those standard scores are on the net....

You are confusing standardized scores with mathematical correlation methods. lol... Did you even read the paper (Dickens and Flynn)? Surely your "racist spin" has nothing to do with why African immigrants score higher and achieve higher levels of educational attainment than Europeans (both immigrant and natural-born)..

You are such a goof ball which brings me to another question. Why do racists have such low IQs? [Big Grin]

SirInfamous
Member # 16497

Member Rated:
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=9530

A 60-page review of the scientific evidence, some based on state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain size, has concluded that race differences in average IQ are largely genetic.

The lead article in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy and Law, a journal of the American Psychological Association, examined 10 categories of research evidence from around the world to contrast "a hereditarian model (50% genetic-50% cultural) and a culture-only model (0% genetic-100% cultural)."

The paper, "Thirty Years of Research on Race Differences in Cognitive Ability," by J. Philippe Rushton of the University of Western Ontario and Arthur R. Jensen of the University of California at Berkeley, appeared with a positive commentary by Linda Gottfredson of the University of Delaware, three critical ones (by Robert Sternberg of Yale University, Richard Nisbett of the University of Michigan, and Lisa Suzuki & Joshua Aronson of New York University), and the authors' reply.

"Neither the existence nor the size of race differences in IQ are a matter of dispute, only their cause," write the authors. The Black-White difference has been found consistently from the time of the massive World War I Army testing of 90 years ago to a massive study of over 6 million corporate, military, and higher-education test-takers in 2001.

"Race differences show up by 3 years of age, even after matching on maternal education and other variables," said Rushton. "Therefore they cannot be due to poor education since this has not yet begun to exert an effect. That's why Jensen and I looked at the genetic hypothesis in detail. We examined 10 categories of evidence."

1.The Worldwide Pattern of IQ Scores. East Asians average higher on IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan Africa.

2.Race Differences are Most Pronounced on Tests that Best Measure the General Intelligence Factor (g). Black-White differences, for example, are larger on the Backward Digit Span test than on the less g loaded Forward Digit Span test.

3.The Gene-Environment Architecture of IQ is the Same in all Races, and Race Differences are Most Pronounced on More Heritable Abilities. Studies of Black, White, and East Asian twins, for example, show the heritability of IQ is 50% or higher in all races.

4.Brain Size Differences. Studies using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) find a correlation of brain size with IQ of about 0.40. Larger brains contain more neurons and synapses and process information faster. Race differences in brain size are present at birth. By adulthood, East Asians average 1 cubic inch more cranial capacity than Whites who average 5 cubic inches more than Blacks.

5. Trans-Racial Adoption Studies. Race differences in IQ remain following adoption by White middle class parents. East Asians grow to average higher IQs than Whites while Blacks score lower. The Minnesota Trans-Racial Adoption Study followed children to age 17 and found race differences were even greater than at age 7: White children, 106; Mixed-Race children, 99; and Black children, 89.

6. Racial Admixture Studies. Black children with lighter skin, for example, average higher IQ scores. In South Africa, the IQ of the mixed-race "Colored" population averages 85, intermediate to the African 70 and White 100.

7.IQ Scores of Blacks and Whites Regress toward the Averages of Their Race. Parents pass on only some exceptional genes to offspring so parents with very high IQs tend to have more average children. Black and White children with parents of IQ 115 move to different averages--Blacks toward 85 and Whites to 100.

8.Race Differences in Other "Life-History" Traits. East Asians and Blacks consistently fall at two ends of a continuum with Whites intermediate on 60 measures of maturation, personality, reproduction, and social organization. For example, Black children sit, crawl, walk, and put on their clothes earlier than Whites or East Asians.

9. Race Differences and the Out-of-Africa theory of Human Origins. East Asian-White-Black differences fit the theory that modern humans arose in Africa about 100,000 years ago and expanded northward. During prolonged winters there was evolutionary selection for higher IQ created by problems of raising children, gathering and storing food, gaining shelter, and making clothes.

10. Do Culture-Only Theories Explain the Data? Culture-only theories do not explain the highly consistent pattern of race differences in IQ, especially the East Asian data. No interventions such as ending segregation, introducing school busing, or "Head Start" programs have reduced the gaps as culture-only theory would predict.

In their article, Rushton and Jensen also address some of the policy issues that stem from their conclusions. Their main recommendation is that people be treated as individuals, not as members of groups. They emphasized that their paper pertains only to average differences. They also called for the need to accurately inform the public about the true nature of individual and group differences, genetics and evolutionary biology.

Rushton and Jensen are well-known for research on racial differences in intelligence. Jensen hypothesized a genetic basis for Black-White IQ differences in his 1969 Harvard Educational Review article. His later books Bias in Mental Tests (1980) and The g Factor (1998), as well as Rushton's (1995) Race, Evolution, and Behavior, show that tests are not biased against English speaking minorities and that Black-White-East Asian differences in brain size and IQ belong in an evolutionary framework.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Sirinfamous

Is your own I.Q. only allowing you to post easily debunked "studies" on this site?

From this article that has been already debated here.

"According to U.S. census data from 2000, “ black immigrants from Africa averaged the highest educational attainment of any population group in the country, ” with 43.8% of African immigrants having attained a degree at an institution of higher learning in comparison to 42.5% of Asian-Americans, 28.9% of immigrants from Europe and Canada, and 23.1 of the entire U.S. population."

Not bad from people who supposedly only average a 70 on the great american I.Q. test eyy?? [Roll Eyes]

AfrikanPride aka Afroblack
Member # 16501

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AfrikanPride aka Afroblack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 60-page review of the scientific evidence, some based on state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain size, has concluded that race differences in average IQ are largely genetic.

Did the Klan pier review it ? They have some obvious mistakes.

"Race differences show up by 3 years of age, even after matching on maternal education and other variables," said Rushton. "Therefore they cannot be due to poor education since this has not yet begun to exert an effect. That's why Jensen and I looked at the genetic hypothesis in detail. We examined 10 categories of evidence."

This is dumb if the white parents are more educated than most black parents and they teach their kids stuff don't you think their kids who have higher iq's ?

1.The Worldwide Pattern of IQ Scores. East Asians average higher on IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan Africa.

African born blacks residing in western countries, as a group may possess IQs that are between 5 points and a full standard deviation (15 IQ points) above that of whites living in these countries (see, Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999; Richardson, 2002; Cross, 1994; Williams, 2005) – This is especially true for those living in the United States and in the UK. One may also expect to find, according to much of the corroborative literature that relates IQ with education, approximately twice the number of African born immigrants with IQs in the 115 range, than among the general white American population (Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999; Williams, 2005), and “more” than twice the number of African immigrants in the 125 IQ range (Gottfredson, 1998; The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 1999-2000).

2.Race Differences are Most Pronounced on Tests that Best Measure the General Intelligence Factor (g). Black-White differences, for example, are larger on the Backward Digit Span test than on the less g loaded Forward Digit Span test.

Buj (1981) showed Ghanaian adults in another study to score higher on the same supposedly ‘culture fair’ intelligence test, than did Irish adults; scores were 80 (Ghanaian) and 78 (Irish), respectively. Shuttleworth-Edwards et al (2004) conducted a study with black South Africans between the ages of 19–30, which showed highly significant effects for both level and quality of education within groups whose first language was an indigenous black African language. For example, black African first language groups (as well as white English speaking groups) with advantaged education were comparable with the US standardization in IQ test scores (e.g. WAIS-III).

3.The Gene-Environment Architecture of IQ is the Same in all Races, and Race Differences are Most Pronounced on More Heritable Abilities. Studies of Black, White, and East Asian twins, for example, show the heritability of IQ is 50% or higher in all races.

A psychologist administering an IQ test to different kinships (e.g. twins) is not manipulating either the genetic or environmental factors, as is done in animal experiments (Capron et al, 1999), and thus their estimates tend to be little more than speculation in absence of proof. In fact, many highly authoritative statistical and biometrical experts argue that the true heritability of IQ is probably closer to zero (see: Schonemann, 1997c, 1990; Schonemann and Schonemann, 1994; Capron et al, 1999; Vetta, 2002; Wahlsten, 1981, 1990; Vetta and Coureau, 2003; Taylor, 1980; Hirsch 1970, 1997, 2004; Kempthorne 1978, 1997)! Indeed, literacy and “acculturation” have been shown to predict IQ score differences between groups and individuals better than any other variables (Boone, 2007; Manly et al, 1998; Fagan and Holland, 2002, 2007; Ryan et al, 2005).

4.Brain Size Differences. Studies using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) find a correlation of brain size with IQ of about 0.40. Larger brains contain more neurons and synapses and process information faster. Race differences in brain size are present at birth. By adulthood, East Asians average 1 cubic inch more cranial capacity than Whites who average 5 cubic inches more than Blacks.

Three time Nobel nominated anthropologist Philip Tobias (1970), compared 7 racial and national groups in a study on brain size/weight, in which he reported that the brain size of American blacks was larger than any white group, (which included American, English and French whites) except those from the Swedish sub sample (who had the largest brains of any of the groups measured), and American blacks were estimated to have some 200 million more neurons than American whites, and brains that were reported to be 54g heavier (See Tobias 1970; Weizmann et al. 1990). Gould (1981, 1996) discovered upon recalculating Morton’s highly suspicious brain size data that the blacks in his sample were on average larger in brain volume than whites. Morton included in his sample of blacks more females than he included in the white sample. For example, in his analysis of Hottentotts (black tribe from South Africa) all measured crania were of females; the Englishmen were all mature men. Morton had also eliminated especially large brains from the African group and especially small brains from the European group (Gould, 1981, 1996). After correcting these biases and errors, it was shown that the black sample actually had larger brains than did the white sample (ibid).

5. Trans-Racial Adoption Studies. Race differences in IQ remain following adoption by White middle class parents. East Asians grow to average higher IQs than Whites while Blacks score lower. The Minnesota Trans-Racial Adoption Study followed children to age 17 and found race differences were even greater than at age 7: White children, 106; Mixed-Race children, 99; and Black children, 89.

Researches admitted their were several flaws to that study. The black child was adopted at a later age than the white child.

Bond (1924) early last century pointed out that the average IQ scores of African Americans from several northern states were higher than those for whites from many southern states (Bond, 1924a, p. 63). He argued that African Americans who migrated to the North must have left their "duller and less accomplished White fellows in the South." Indeed, at that time upward of 85% of African Americans resided in the South, as most still do, to do this day. Bond also believed that IQ test scores reflected social and educational training. Inline with this belief, Jenkins's (1936) reported the results of IQ tests given to Black and White children in Illinois, and found that the proportion of students with scores over 130 was the same among Black and White children when environmental influences were comparable. A study involving Caribbean children would essentially replicate these findings. For example, this study found that when raised in the same enriched institutional environments as white children; black children demonstrated superior IQ test scores. The IQ’s of the children in this particular orphanage were: Blacks 108, Mixed 106, and Whites 103 (Tizard et al, 1972).

6. Racial Admixture Studies. Black children with lighter skin, for example, average higher IQ scores. In South Africa, the IQ of the mixed-race "Colored" population averages 85, intermediate to the African 70 and White 100.

If European genes conferred an advantage, we would expect that the smartest blacks would have substantial European heritage. But when a group of investigators sought out the very brightest black children in the Chicago school system and asked them about the race of their parents and grandparents, these children were found to have no greater degree of European ancestry than blacks in the population at large.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/opinion/09nisbett.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

7.IQ Scores of Blacks and Whites Regress toward the Averages of Their Race. Parents pass on only some exceptional genes to offspring so parents with very high IQs tend to have more average children. Black and White children with parents of IQ 115 move to different averages--Blacks toward 85 and Whites to 100.

t is argued that traditional psychological assessment is based on skills that are considered important within white, western, middle-class culture, but which may not be salient or valued within African-American culture (Helms, 1992; Helms, 1997; Hilliard, 1995). When test stimuli are more culturally pertinent to the experiences of African Americans, performance improves (Hayles, 1991; Williams and Rivers, 1972b). Research shows that “Black Culture” tends to depict problem solving as an integrative hemispheric endeavor rather than a linear, analytical process (Bell, 1994), and that in this culture "psychological closeness" is necessary for one’s involvement in the phenomena which he seeks to understand. It has also been shown that culturally diverse learners are often excluded in educational programs in the U.S. through misidentification, misassessment, miscategorization, misplacement, and misinstruction-misintervention (Obiakor and Utley, 2004). Kwate (2001) provides evidence that IQ tests are antagonistic and incompatible with an African centered conception of intelligence and mental health.

8.Race Differences in Other "Life-History" Traits. East Asians and Blacks consistently fall at two ends of a continuum with Whites intermediate on 60 measures of maturation, personality, reproduction, and social organization. For example, Black children sit, crawl, walk, and put on their clothes earlier than Whites or East Asians.

This is factual and aren't these signs of intelligence?

9. Race Differences and the Out-of-Africa theory of Human Origins. East Asian-White-Black differences fit the theory that modern humans arose in Africa about 100,000 years ago and expanded northward. During prolonged winters there was evolutionary selection for higher IQ created by problems of raising children, gathering and storing food, gaining shelter, and making clothes.

Tropically Adapted Ancient Egyptian's Debunk Evolutionary Selection Pressure Intelligence Concept

"Moving to the opposite geographic extremity, the very small sample populations available from northern Egypt from before the 1st Dynasty(Merimda, Maadi and Wadi Digla) turn out to be significantly different from sample populations from early Palestine and Byblos, suggesting a lack of common ancestors over a long time. If there was a south-north cline of variation along the Nile Valley it did not, from this limited evidence, continue smoothly on into Palestine. The limb-length proportions of males from the Egyptian sites group them with Africans rather than with Europeans."

From: Ancient Egypt Anatomy of a Civilisation(Paperback) by Barry Kemp (Author) Publisher: Routledge; 2 edition (December 12, 2005)
p.54

"The raw values in Table 6 suggest that Egyptians had the �super-Negroid� body plan described by Robins (1983). The values for the brachial and crural indices show that the distal segments of each limb are longer relative to the proximal segments than in many �African� populations."

www.springerlink.com/index/9516628073356622.pdf

I'm not even going to put up for debate whether or not you question they were "black". Skin pigmentation is a result of varying degrees of UV radiation recieved according to geographical distribution and is of little consequence the the implications.

The thing I want you to explain to me me is how people who are obviously adapted to tropical enviroments even more so than the Congolese or Nigerian African (as evidenced by the pdf link) manage to create a flourishing civilization? According to the Eurocentric ideologies touted by Phillip Rushton, cold winters aided in natural selection of a people who uniquely had to survive harsh winters making warm clothes, building durable shelter, preserving food, and strategically hunting large animals leading to a bottleneck of genes for greater intelligence and social organization.

But history tells us that ancient Egypt was flourishing while most of Northern Europe was no where near its status

Why the anomaly?

Please do not derail this thread into modern day statistics or ad hoc anecdotes.

This is only addressing the flimsy hypothesis that tropical adapted peoples are incapable of running a functional civilization.

Also name one invention I get from Eskimos.

10. Do Culture-Only Theories Explain the Data? Culture-only theories do not explain the highly consistent pattern of race differences in IQ, especially the East Asian data. No interventions such as ending segregation, introducing school busing, or "Head Start" programs have reduced the gaps as culture-only theory would predict.

Crawford-Nutt (1976) found that African black students enrolled in westernized schools scored higher on progressive matrix tests than did American white students. The study was meant to examine perceptual/cultural differences between groups, and demonstrated that one’s performance on western standardized tests correspond more closely with the quality and style of schooling that one receives more so than other factors. It has been argued, for example, that the forms of recognition and reasoning found on Progressive Matrixes tests are exercised and maintained within a western style educational environment (Ceci & Williams, 1997; Ceci, 1991; Richardson, 2000, 2002), thus it is of little surprise that a quality western style education should produce results such as these. Buj (1981) showed Ghanaian adults in another study to score higher on the same supposedly ‘culture fair’ intelligence test, than did Irish adults; scores were 80 (Ghanaian) and 78 (Irish), respectively. Shuttleworth-Edwards et al (2004) conducted a study with black South Africans between the ages of 19–30, which showed highly significant effects for both level and quality of education within groups whose first language was an indigenous black African language. For example, black African first language groups (as well as white English speaking groups) with advantaged education were comparable with the US standardization in IQ test scores (e.g. WAIS-III).

Other programs have shown dramatic improvement in test scores for socially disadvantaged adolescents as a result of short-term cognitive training, so that "…three months later their performance was indistinguishable from that of middle class students” (Feuerstein & Kozulin, 1995, p. 74). For example, a number of studies have shown that Ethiopian immigrant students (who come from extraordinarily poor rural circumstances) tested in Israel by different IQ tests had, in pre-intervention tests, demonstrated lower test scores than the Israeli norm. However, after a short but intensive teaching process, the Ethiopian immigrant children performed at about the same level as the Israeli norm (Tzuriel & Kaufman, 1999; Kozulin, 1998).

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AfrikanPride aka Afroblack
Member # 16501

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AfrikanPride aka Afroblack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Asians outdoing blacks even with heads tart programs.

Well Asians have been show to cheat more than blacks.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/2300094/Plagiarism-blamed-on-different-culture

Among approximately 39,000 students at 160 schools, the scores of white students performing at or above the proficient level rose 4.6 percentage points between the 2003-2004 and the 2005-2006 school years. Meanwhile, the results for Hispanic and African-American students went a long way towards closing an identified achievement gap. The percentage of Hispanic students performing at or above proficient rose by 18.3 percentage points--from 35.9 to 54.2 percent--and those of African-American students rose by 17.9 points--from 27.6 to 45.5 percent. Although small in number, Asian-American students, special education students, and students with limited English proficiency also showed gains.'

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080502094232.htm

Major Study Of Chinese-Americans Debunks 'Model Minority' Myth

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Sundjata, You are looking at a small universe when you look at African immigrants. If you look at Africans who stayed behind you get a totally different picture. Until you people start looking at the problem the way kit is things will only get worse. The social stats for the black community are terrible. We have 12% of the population that makes up 65% of the prison inmates, teen pregnancy rates double the white population, drug abuse, gang problems etc. You know the facts but simply want to lean back on blaming the white population while your communities suffer. You could start by banning rap music and doing away with that entire culture.
Morpheus
Member # 16203

Rate Member
quote:
Morpheus, I agree some of it is cultural, but not all. I noticed you throw in racism as a problem right off the bat. As long as you see it that way we can never make progress. Blacks always want to shift the blame from themselves to someone else.

Sure Horemheb. Let's not blame institutionalized racism for why Blacks are disproportionately poor. Let's propose that they are intellectually inferior and simply don't possess the mental ability to succeed as you're doing.

Oh wait....it's part cultural and part genetic right? That changes things. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway back to reality, here's a good study conducted on twins which demonstrates that Socioeconomic Status has a profound impact on the IQ scores of children which supports programs like Head Start:

quote:
Socioeconomic status modifies heritability of iq in young children

Scores on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children were analyzed in a sample of 7-year-old twins from the National Collaborative Perinatal Project. A substantial proportion of the twins were raised in families living near or below the poverty level. Biometric analyses were conducted using models allowing for components attributable to the additive effects of genotype, shared environment, and nonshared environment to interact with socioeconomic status (SES) measured as a continuous variable. Results demonstrate that the proportions of IQ variance attributable to genes and environment vary nonlinearly with SES. The models suggest that in impoverished families, 60% of the variance in IQ is accounted for by the shared environment, and the contribution of genes is close to zero; in affluent families, the result is almost exactly the reverse.

Abstract

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone cited Jensen and Rushton's study. Here's a good review of Jensen's book....

quote:

DEMYSTIFYING G

Ken Richardson
Centre for Human Development & Learning
The Open University
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
United Kingdom

Abstract

Jensen's elaborate thesis on g can be shown to be based on several fallacious premises. IQ tests are merely clever numerical surrogates for social class. The numerous correlations evoked in support of g arise from this. His 'genetic' arguments are based on a highly simplistic, and outmoded, model of genes. And his model of "race" is based on evolutionary misconceptions.

I. WHAT IS G?

1. In this book Jensen (1998, 1999) pursues his well-known arguments about g, a 'general, cognitive factor'. But it isn't difficult to show that what is cognitive is not general, and what is general is not cognitive. Scores on standardised psychometric tests intercorrelate partly because they have been subjected to considerable construction engineering on the basis of common criteria. Jensen himself has noted how 'every item is carefully edited and selected on the basis of technical procedures known as "item analysis", based on tryouts of the items on large samples and the test's target population' (1980:145). Even so, because item designs tend to be intuitive, and the criteria for item selection statistical and pragmatic, rather than theoretical, there is sill much puzzlement about what the common factor actually is. Other cognitive theory might help us in this regard.

2. For example, a prominent line of study in recent years has shown how different patterns of cognition arise, not from individual computations, but from an internalisation of the cultural 'tools' (patterns of activity, knowledge and reasoning) dominant in the social world in which people grow up and/or currently operate. 'The structure of thought depends upon the structure of the dominant types of activity in different cultures' (Luria 1976: xiv-xv). Because test constructors come from a narrow social group, it follows that test items will contain information structures which will match the background knowledge of some children more than that of others. This cognitive match/mismatch will apply even more critically to non-verbal items than to verbal items.

3. Take, for example, the Raven's test which Jensen says is almost a pure measure of g. According to Carpenter et al (1990: 408), after an examination of Raven's personal notes, 'the description of the abilities that Raven intended to measure are primarily characteristics of the problems, not specifications of the requisite cognitive processes... he used his intuition and clinical experience... without regard to any underlying processing theory'.

4. Inevitably, Raven's 'intuition' will have included his own cultural tools, and illustrating their incursion in the test is not too difficult. Much of middle class culture is based on the manipulation of symbols (e.g. words, numbers) in two-dimensional array on paper. Typical cultural tools are record cards, tables with rows and columns of totals and subtotals, timetables, and so on. These nearly all require the reading of symbols from top left to bottom right, the induction of additions, subtractions and substitutions across columns and down rows, and the deduction of new information from them. These are precisely the kinds of manipulations (or 'rules') that found their way into Raven's items.

5. So although the symbols are experience-free, the rules governing their changes across the matrix are certainly not, and they are more likely to be already represented in the minds of children from middle class homes that in others. Performance on the Raven's is not a question of inducing novel rules from meaningless symbols, but ones which are culturally rooted; each item presents a recognition problem before it is a reasoning problem. The latter is easy when the former has been achieved.

6. This has been shown in a vast variety of tasks in which subjects can map the covariation relations in the task onto relations in their background knowledge (reviewed in Richardson 1999). These include the Wason selection task; computerised 'games' governed by complex 'rules'; pragmatic reasoning schemes; analogical reasoning tasks; class-inclusion and scientific reasoning tasks; categorisation tasks; and modified Raven's matrices. All of this explains why the Raven's (and other non-verbal tests), often referred to as culture-free etc., are, in fact, the most enculturated of all tests.

7. So relative acquisition of relevant background knowledge (which will be closely associated with social class) is one source of the elusive common factor in psychometric tests. But there are other, non-cognitive, sources. Jensen seems to have little appreciation of the stressful effects of negative social evaluation and systematic prejudice which many children experience every day (in which even superficial factors like language dialect, facial appearance, and self-presentation all play a major part). These have powerful effects on self concepts and self-evaluations. Bandura et al (1996) have shown how poor cognitive self-efficacy beliefs acquired by parents become (socially) inherited by their children, resulting in significant depressions of self-expectations in most intellectual tasks. Here, g is not a general ability variable, but one of 'self-belief'.

8. Reduced exposure to middle-class cultural tools and poor cognitive self-efficacy beliefs will inevitably result in reduced self-confidence and anxiety in testing situations. There is a well-known association between IQ test performance and test-anxiety. In his meta-analysis of 562 studies, Hembree (1988) found that High Task Anxiety (HTA) subjects hold themselves in low esteem, fear exposure to negative evaluation, experience greater emotional reaction to testing situations, and more encoding difficulty and other cognitive interference when tested. It will not do for Jensen to attempt to dismiss the role of task-anxiety by reference to the old Yerkes-Dodson Law (which is about drive) and a study involving a small group of university students!

9. In sum, the 'common factor' which emerges in test performances stems from a combination of (a) the (hidden) cultural content of tests; (b) cognitive self-efficacy beliefs; and (c) the self-confidence/freedom-from-anxiety associated with such beliefs. In other words, g is just an mystificational numerical surrogate for social class membership. This is what is being distilled when g is statistically 'extracted' from performances. Perhaps the best evidence for this is the 'Flynn effect,' (Fkynn 1999) which simply corresponds with the swelling of the middle classes and greater exposure to middle-class cultural tools. It is also supported by the fact that the Flynn effect is more prominent with non-verbal than with verbal test items - i.e. with the (covertly) more enculturated forms.

II. OTHER CORRELATES OF G

10. Once we see g as a variable of class-cultural characteristics, instead of a mystical biological power, the many other correlations which Jensen reports are demystified. We also see the diverse ways in which correlations can be interpreted. It is not the least bit surprising that g also correlates with head size, brain size, stature, general health, and so on, which, through nutritional, endocrinal, and other aspects of social privilege/exclusion, are also correlates of social class.

11. Jensen relies heavily on the (weak) associations between performances on Elementary Cognitive Tasks and IQ. But such performance will be much influenced by task-anxiety, as numerous studies on speeded tasks have shown (Hembre 1988). Since HTA produces more erratic reaction times, this would explain why the biggest correlate of g is not mean (or median) speed of response, but response variation. It also explains the lack of correlation between Nerve Conduction Velocity (however crudely measured) and RT.

12. Although the correlation between IQ scores and school performance is one deliberately built into tests, it produces large 'knock-on' effects, such as a built-in correlation with occupational status. Further correlations are built in by the fact that g also reflects cognitive self-efficacy beliefs and self-confidence/freedom-from-anxiety. This will explain the (weak) correlation between IQ and rate of learning (or job training), and also why such associations crease with task complexity.

13. When we turn to job performance the picture becomes very murky, not least because of serious methodological problems and contradictory findings. The 'job performance' measure used in nearly all studies is that of supervisor ratings. But supervisors can be rather subjective, use widely different criteria, with 'halo', age-related, and other effects. In the Schmidt et al (1986) study, supervisor ratings had very low correlations (around 0.3) both with subjects' job knowledge and actual work samples! The (weak) associations between statistically abstracted g and job performance may, again, stem from differences in self-concept, self-confidence, anxiety etc., rather than from an 'ability' variable. This interpretation is supported by reports that, when workers have been in the job for some time, performance is completely uncorrelated with IQ (Hulin et al 1990). Jensen dismisses that idea, citing a meta-analysis by Schmidt et al (1986). But that study was conducted on military personnel, in which, as the authors themselves suggest, job performance involves 'standard operating procedures' routinized by 'thorough, detailed training programs'. Besides, the Manual to the Raven's Progressive Matrices (RPT) Test (which Jensen sees as a test of 'pure' g ) warns us that 'the predictive validity of the RPM... to success within an occupation... is relatively low' (Raven et al 1993, 41).

14. Although a multitude of imponderables remain in correlational data of this kind, it seems reasonable to suggest that IQ predicts little that isn't already built into the test directly or indirectly by virtue of its being a surrogate for social class. It should also be obvious that people who, from a very early age, have reduced self-expectations and self-esteem, and fewer chances of self-fulfilment, are also, in the long run, going to exhibit more social pathology.

III. GENES AND G

15. It is very worrying to find a simplistic 'Mendelian' model of independent and additive genes still being urged upon us by Jensen. The 'genetic beanbag' view is clung to because it furnishes the only paradigm in which Jensen and coworkers can work 'genetically'. In particular, it furnishes the famous 'expected' correlations for relatives (e.g. monozygotic versus dizygotic twins) which form the basis of 'heritability' estimates, even though doubts about the model for complex characters have frequently been expressed (see e.g. Barton & Turelli 1989).

16. Indeed, recent molecular biology has shown better than ever how genes for evolved characters have become intricately tied in with adaptable regulatory systems across the genome as a whole. Under these regulations, variable alleles can be utilised for common ends, or common alleles utilised for divergent ends, as developmental needs dictate. Up to 90% of genes are regulatory in function, and not structural alleles at all (Jensen's claim that humans have 100,000 polymorphic genes seems ridiculous). Phenomena such as canalization, divergent epigenesis, exon-shuffling (which modifies gene-products to suit current developmental needs), and even developmental modification of gene-structures themselves, now make a nonsense of the idea of a one-to-one relationship between incremental accumulations of 'good' or 'bad' genes, and increments in a phenotype (see e.g. Rollo 1995). This makes the objective of most twin and adoption studies surrounding IQ a red herring, because it is attempting to 'prove' a genetic model that no one can seriously believe in.

17. Jensen argues that g has evolved as a 'fitness' character. Yet it is the logic of natural selection that fitness characters come to display little if any genetic variation. This has been repeatedly confirmed in artificial selection experiments, and in the wild. The self-defeating logic of Jensen's argument is obvious. Indeed, I find it amazing that, at the end of the twentieth century, complex, sophisticated edifices like this are being constructed on such patently erroneous foundations.

IV. RACE

18. Jensen argues, in effect, that cognitive 'races' exist because genes related to human cognitive systems will have been subjected to diversifying selection in the same way as some superficial physical or physiological characters. He suggests that northern migrants would have faced particularly difficult conditions. As a result, groups of African descent will have lower frequencies of genes for superior cognitive abilities, compared with those of Caucasian or Mongoloid ancestry.

19. This completely misses the point. Our African hominid ancestors themselves evolved as a social-cooperative species in order to deal with conditions of extreme environmental uncertainty, as the climate dried, forests thinned, and former forest dwellers were 'flung out' onto the open savannah or forest margins. It is crucial to point out that when even as few as two individuals cooperate they create a new, social environment that is vastly more complex than anything experienced in the physical world. It is that complexity on the social plane which rapidly impelled the tripling of brain size and furnished the unique cognitive capacity for dealing with complexity in general - in the physical world as well as the social.

20. The uniquely adaptable, highly selected, socio-cognitive system that resulted was a prerequisite, not a consequence, of human migration patterns. Although inhabiting every possible niche, humans have only a quarter of the genetic variation of highly niche-specific chimpanzees (Kaessmann et al 1999). The system operates on a completely different plane from blind genetic selection - one which can 'model' the world conceptually, and anticipate and change it. If our heads get cold we invent hats, rather than wait for natural selection to reshape our skulls and increase the size of our brains (which is what Jensen suggests in one particularly questionable y line of argument). As Owens & King (1999) point out, what minor genetic differences exist are 'quite literally superficial... the possibility that human history has been characterised by genetically homogeneous groups ("races") distinguished by major biological differences, is not consistent with genetic evidence'.

21. Owens & King also point out that 'Of course prejudice does not require a rational basis, let alone an evolutionary one, but the myth of major genetic differences across "races" is nonetheless worth dismissing with genetic evidence' (453). This culmination of Jensen's thesis, then, is as hollow as the conceptual foundations on which it based. It really is time this negative and fatalistic model of humanity was put behind us once and for all.

LINK

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Sundjata, You are looking at a small universe when you look at African immigrants. If you look at Africans who stayed behind you get a totally different picture. Until you people start looking at the problem the way kit is things will only get worse. The social stats for the black community are terrible. We have 12% of the population that makes up 65% of the prison inmates, teen pregnancy rates double the white population, drug abuse, gang problems etc. You know the facts but simply want to lean back on blaming the white population while your communities suffer. You could start by banning rap music and doing away with that entire culture.

This is not Sundjata AParrot.

The universe of African immigrant educational achievement is pertinent to the topic at hand. If we want to compare all the other negative things you readily bring in, than we can atart comparing that to the fact that 8 out of the top 10 countries with the highest crime rates in the world not at war are eastern european.

Secondly look here

The white propaganda machine is made to help your own self-esteem, which is looking like it failed in your case.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'VE always thought that it'd be nice to find out how we can maximize a child's potential:

quote:
Four weeks after conception, the embryo's neurons are already forming at an astonishing rate: 250,000 each minute. By 8 months, a baby's brain holds 1,000 trillion synapses, the vital junctions that connect neurons. By age 10, those synapses drop down to about 500 trillion, under a "use it or lose it" principle that prunes away underutilized connections to make the most active ones stronger. The brain is thus sculpted by experience: researchers found that when mothers spolke to their infants often, their children learned almost 300 more words by age 2 than did children whose mothers rarely spoke to them.
In my experience, babes just need to feel alot of love and appreciation. And attention, and interaction. For todds and older children aswell, this lyric is so true! I've seen many kids act that lyric out:

"I am, whatever you say I am, if I wasn't, then why would you say I am?" [Big Grin]

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Asians cheat more
This is beginning to border on excuses.

THEY are the ones who are supposed to begin making excuses for evidence contradicting their ideology, not us!

Guys, how does is this comment:

quote:
partly genetic, partly cultural
cause for a response, or continuing this thread?

We know the answer:

The equation for gene expression = {genes} x {environment}

If either one of them are zero or close to defective, gene expression gets "nerfed".

In my experience these debates go on really long with it being fairly obvious the inheritance proponents are not too familiar with the subject matter and as soon as they start getting the balls to cite non-biased sources and studies on how the brain functions, one of the "culture" guys reads the study/ies, and lo and behold, their own study refutes them.

PS: Einstein had an average sized head. Neanderthal had a large one. Also, this other extinct member of the homo species had a large one (South African).

Speaking of South Africans

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
The basic problem with attempting to link brain size and intelligence is that the brain is not a muscle, it's a staggeringly complex organ whose underlying functionality is only poorly understood.

For example, Neanderthal man had a brain that was on average, larger than the modern human brain.

Yet his vocal cords were primative, suggesting that Neanderthal may not have had the same physical ability or mental dexterity to speak a true language.

This in turn leads anthropologist to suggest that Neanderthal's big brain size may have provided insulation against the extreme cold of ice age Europe, and may not have been indicative of any particular intellectual adeptness.

It is a fact that Neanderthal is the most fully cold adapted hominid in history, having evolved in Europe over the course of several hundred thousand years - yet Neanderthal was apparently completely replaced by tropically adapted Africans [homo sapiens is and african species, neanderthal is a eurasian species] ... who had evolved in tropical Africa during the same several hundred thousand year timespan.

African homo sapiens had migrated into Northern Eurasia only a few thousand years hence.

A further problem with a simplistic equasion of 'big brain' equal 'smart', is that many diseases which effect the brain cause 'hypertrophy' or increase in brain size.

In these cases abnormally large brains indicate such conditions as retardation or even cancer.

There is no proof
that brain size variation within homo sapiens is and indicator of superior intellect.

Matter of fact, i think humans may have undergone adaptations to "norm" their head sizes to stay around a "perferct" range.

The more food and nutrients, the taller you are (relative to how tall you would have been) and the taller the person is the bigger their head. I also think scientists may want to look into (not neccissarily in a "race" context) climate and head size. It's a weird phenom, a study found blacks have larger head sizes than whites who've been living in the same environment on average. So either some kind of mechanism evolved where heads get bigger in cooler climates and smaller in hot climates, and the naturally big heads that get too large in cool climates underwent negative selection and died out, as well as the naturally small heads in warmer climates -- OR the opposite happend; heads on the naturally small side of the spectrum in cold climates and large side of the spectrum in warm climates saw negative selection which prompted evolution of a mechanism where head size in cold adapted people decrease to an appropriate extent depending on the cold, and in heat adapted folk increase depending on the heat.

Whatever the reason, black Americans have larger heads than other Americans and about 200 more neurons than their white counterparts.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by SirInfamous:

LMAO @ this clown posting papers by Philippe Rushton who has been debunked and put to shame a long time ago! He is a known Eugenicists and tried that same nonsense with women, only to again, be thoroughly and swiftly debunked by the entire scientific community! You are citing crack pots and it's hilarious that he's the only source for racist weirdos to latch on to.

See:

How Caucasoids Got Such Big Brains and Why They Shrank: From Morton to Rushton

^Everything you posted above is examined and refuted here by multiple scholars/scientists..

quote:
Sundjata, You are looking at a small universe when you look at African immigrants.

LOL! Your stupidity has no end. Your attempt at creating some "racial" disposition to failure is sliced, diced, and disintegrated by these facts concerning African immigrants (since they are BLACK and culturally distinct from African-Americans), who perform at higher levels both here and abroad. America is a small universe and so is Britain, and to study any cultural group we work with models that take into account sample sizes and relative proportions. You are talking like a red neck who just doesn't understand what's going on, but is desperately trying to hold on to his white supremacist fantasy.

From the first article, a Jaimaican immigrant stated that:

"I'm too busy working two jobs to care about the white man's racism"

Which unfortunately affects African-Americans disproportionately as being bred into this culture.

See: Perceived Racism and Career Self-Efficacy in African American Adolescents

Man, you are so obtuse.. [Roll Eyes]

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
That the best and the brightest from Africa do well is not helpful. The solution is to roll up our sleeves, face the facts as they are, and get to work. For years I have advocated the creation of more vocational schools for our non college bound students. The Oklahoma model is a good place to start where every county has a vocational school avilable. As it stands now too many students graduate from high school with a watered down diploma, a desire for an income but with no skills to make it. The tracking system used by the Germans is a great place to start. Students are tested at age 12 or 13 and either put on a vocational or a college bound track. This puts everyone out the door with a skill which makes it possible for them to make a good living.

Discpline simply has to be put back in the schools. A strict dress code needs to be put in place. Boys who get teenage girls pregnant should be placed in some form of military service so that the girl's medical bills can be paid. He should not be allowed to leave until he has a skill that qualifies him to continue the payments.

Any program that does not include these elements will fail.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com