EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Racists angry over the casting of a black as a Norse god in upcoming flick: Thor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Racists angry over the casting of a black as a Norse god in upcoming flick: Thor
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

White supremacists urge Thor boycott over casting of black actor as Norse god
Council of Conservative Citizens attacks Marvel for giving role of deity Heimdall to Idris Elba, star of The Wire

-

A US white supremacist group has called for a boycott of the Kenneth Branagh-directed superhero movie Thor on the grounds that a black actor has been cast in the role of a Norse god.

The Council of Conservative Citizens is upset that London-born Idris Elba, star of The Wire and BBC detective series Luther as well as a number of Hollywood films, is to play deity Heimdall in the Marvel Studios feature. The group, which opposes inter-racial marriage and gay rights, has set up a website, boycott-thor.com to set out its opposition to what it sees as an example of leftwing social engineering.

"It [is] well known that Marvel is a company that advocates for leftwing ideologies and causes," the site reads. "Marvel frontman Stan 'Lee' Lieber boasts of being a major financier of leftwing political candidates. Marvel has viciously attacked the Tea Party movement, conservatives and European heritage.

"Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor. Marvel has now inserted social engineering into European mythology."

The site chooses to ignore its target's thespian talents, referring to "hip-hop DJ Elba" in apparent reference to the actor's career in East End nightclubs more than a decade ago. Elba himself addressed the casting issue earlier this year, pointing out that "Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers". He continued: "That's OK, but the colour of my skin is wrong?"

Branagh's decision to cast non-white actors as citizens of Asgard stands in apparent opposition to a one-time policy on Peter Jackson's forthcoming Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. A British woman of Pakistani origin complained last month that she had been turned away from a casting session for being "too brown". The offending crew member, an independent contractor, was later sacked.

Thor, starring the Anglo-Saxon-looking Chris Hemsworth in the title role, and Jewish actor Natalie Portman as his love interest is due to arrive in cinemas next May

Source

Trailer

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, the casting of a black man as a Norse god is rather stupid. How would people here feel if a white girl was cast as Isis?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7093 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it stupid when its fiction?? Who cares, Did'nt see you LAmenting the Lilly White Dipiction of the Greeks and the Spartans despite the Greeks themselves making a distinction between them and Northern europeans...Plus the Egyptians have been portrayed as White many times.
Posts: 8806 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Hiemdall was not blk in literature then let him be played by a Euro-preferably of northern Euro-decent.

The movie Troy is were they should have used some black actors.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
To be honest, the casting of a black man as a Norse god is rather stupid.

I think it's smart
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viola75
Member # 17981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viola75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good. let them have some of there own medicine, im rather tired of "caucasian" egyptians.
Posts: 142 | From: england sw | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krishna
Member # 12633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for krishna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notice the duplicity ...so much complaining of white actors playing egyptians, yet now the get even attitude...typical muslim thought process...an eye for an eye...as ghandi said,"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

--------------------
when you see a sacred cow..milk it for all it's worth

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viola75
Member # 17981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viola75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im not a muslim. ???

"as ghandi said,"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

thats what the rich say to the poor to stay in power.

Posts: 142 | From: england sw | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
If Hiemdall was not blk in literature then let him be played by a Euro-preferably of northern Euro-decent.

The movie Troy is were they should have used some black actors.

Greetings.

I couldn't agree with you more....

Let them keep to theirs...I wouldn't want to see Shango portrayed by a European ('white') man, same way...

Just like I SMH and KMRT everytime I see a Black man dressed up as Santa Claus....Santa Claus, AKA St. Nick AKA Kris Kringle AKA Father Christmas, is a EUROPEAN tradition and it irritates me to no end when I hear Black folks hollering bout some we "need" a Black Santa Claus.... [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

htp

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These white supremists ass-holes aren't even of Scandi origin. They freaking micks, IRISH and GERMAN Americans who think they're foremothers were raped by vikings.

So what if they were! Doesn't mean Scandi Gods owe those mofos a damn thing!

There's something called a "Dark Swede" and a "Dark Norwegian". My grandfather has black hair and hazel eyes with olive skin, his nickname was "nigger" as a youth which was bestowed upon him by seasonal workers on the ore docks. My grandfather started working the ore docks at age 12 years and most of the workers were of German descent, some Irish descent. Dad is also of the same coloring, and luckily wasn't sent to work so young with miscredents. But both are considered Dark Norwegians.

After Norg, Switch and the occassional Dane started to take part in actually reviewing archeological evidence collected by the German, Dutch and Brits the Scandi archeologists found that 40% of Scandi who went a viking were women after the initial start.

These viking woman obviously had fun with the local boys, including 400 years in North Africa specifically the Port of Alexandria. Plenty of African slaves were in the North Med and Turkey as well when Constantinople became Istanbul.

You can bet alot of children of viking women came home to give birth looked and were bi-racial. Thus the evolution of the "Thor" mythology could have very well been influenced by these children of viking women.

I really can't stand how German Americans consider themselves viking descendants and don't realize that many vikings were women who didn't discriminate in exotic lands.

Just mind blowing how stupid people can be!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that you sonomod?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything but Kwanzaa.

But seriously, a European man who travels the globe giving away valuables?

Why that's the greatest spin of all!

quote:
Originally posted by TruthAndRights:
Just like I SMH and KMRT everytime I see a Black man dressed up as Santa Claus....Santa Claus, AKA St. Nick AKA Kris Kringle AKA Father Christmas, is a EUROPEAN tradition and it irritates me to no end when I hear Black folks hollering bout some we "need" a Black Santa Claus.... [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

htp

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Is that you sonomod?

what are you the last member who posts at least once a year out of 3,000 who just caught on to me being sonomod?

Groan!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHorsenation
Member # 18137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheHorsenation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's odd to cast a Negro as Thor, but I dont really care. Anyway the topic itself is stupid because there will always be somebody who doesnt like something, just imagine yourself (Afrocentrists) if they cast Nelson Mandela as a white man... it's kinda ridiculous.
The film will certainly be trashy anyway.

--------------------
Black Egypt - The Final Proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMfXZyCe9w
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 223 | From: Germania | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:

-

White supremacists urge Thor boycott over casting of black actor as Norse god
Council of Conservative Citizens attacks Marvel for giving role of deity Heimdall to Idris Elba, star of The Wire

-

A US white supremacist group has called for a boycott of the Kenneth Branagh-directed superhero movie Thor on the grounds that a black actor has been cast in the role of a Norse god.

The Council of Conservative Citizens is upset that London-born Idris Elba, star of The Wire and BBC detective series Luther as well as a number of Hollywood films, is to play deity Heimdall in the Marvel Studios feature. The group, which opposes inter-racial marriage and gay rights, has set up a website, boycott-thor.com to set out its opposition to what it sees as an example of leftwing social engineering.

"It [is] well known that Marvel is a company that advocates for leftwing ideologies and causes," the site reads. "Marvel frontman Stan 'Lee' Lieber boasts of being a major financier of leftwing political candidates. Marvel has viciously attacked the Tea Party movement, conservatives and European heritage.

"Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor. Marvel has now inserted social engineering into European mythology."

The site chooses to ignore its target's thespian talents, referring to "hip-hop DJ Elba" in apparent reference to the actor's career in East End nightclubs more than a decade ago. Elba himself addressed the casting issue earlier this year, pointing out that "Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers". He continued: "That's OK, but the colour of my skin is wrong?"

Branagh's decision to cast non-white actors as citizens of Asgard stands in apparent opposition to a one-time policy on Peter Jackson's forthcoming Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. A British woman of Pakistani origin complained last month that she had been turned away from a casting session for being "too brown". The offending crew member, an independent contractor, was later sacked.

Thor, starring the Anglo-Saxon-looking Chris Hemsworth in the title role, and Jewish actor Natalie Portman as his love interest is due to arrive in cinemas next May

Source

Trailer

LOL

It serves the racists right, yet it still does not make up for The Last Racebender. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

To be honest, the casting of a black man as a Norse god is rather stupid. How would people here feel if a white girl was cast as Isis?

If a white woman were cast as Isis or even Ahmose-Nefertari, it would just be 'business as usual'. Frankly, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Yet when I see a movie like 'The Last Airbender' use whites to portray all the main characters, I don't think even this erroneous portrayal of 1 side character is enough to be "even stevens". Whites have long usurped or white wash roles that were never meant for them in the first place. Yet make 1 Norse god black, and they sh*t bricks and blow up! LOL Now that is a double-standard for you if I've ever seen one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Keep in mind folks sci-fi and fantasy is a niche market that heavily brings in a diverse crowd. Non-Whites and the global market end up favoring these two genres.

Still better than having to see yet another comedy/romance with nothing but whites and possibly a token Asian or African American.

I've pretty much stopped watching American flicks for the most part.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Idris Elba is a good looking guy. But a London accent, sorry folks I am so tired of seeing english language films with soggy drenched UK accents. It gives me a headache.

Still Kenneth Branagh has had several damn good films.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ALready done and I think more than once in the U.S. television history.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
quote:

ALready done and I think more than once in the U.S. television history.
Isis as whitey or a Nordic God as an non-whitey?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ The former actually-- Isis as whitey.
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

Keep in mind folks sci-fi and fantasy is a niche market that heavily brings in a diverse crowd. Non-Whites and the global market end up favoring these two genres.

Still better than having to see yet another comedy/romance with nothing but whites and possibly a token Asian or African American.

I don't know about that. Scifi and especially fantasy is predominantly white if not all white in the case of the latter. How many fantasy stories for instance have ever taken place in an environment that is NOT European based. The only one I can think of is 'The Last Airbender' which takes place in an Asian based world, yet they still had to make the stars whites anyway.

quote:
I've pretty much stopped watching American flicks for the most part.
The only thing American films have going nowadays is comedy that's it. Hollywood is so stifled and cheesy, over 90% of films produced are either remakes of older films or based on books, old cartoons, etc. They are pathetic and unimaginative except when it comes to screwing over the original ideas in favor of senseless race-changing etc.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not that Dark folks need to be cast in a movie that was based on European myths, I can live with that except when such a role is meant for a blkman/dark skinned other such as Memmnon, Othello,Sir Morien,St Mourice,The Blk and smitten by the sun Danaids,King Aeetes and his family if not his entire nation and a whole host of others if one wanted to see blks in Euro-fantasy flicks there is plenty..I prefer if they made an Afro-fantasy of southern Gods like Shango, Ra and his crew as a matter o fact have the southern Gods and villain gods match-up against northern Gods and villain Gods now that would be a movie... [Big Grin]
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thor was a black man, a black god
worshipped by the original norse-men
the black Vikings, the Dubh-Galls
who ruled the north sea side of Europe
for 10,000 years.

Thor the God of thunder
In Yoruba, he is called Shango!

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
metinoot wrote:
-----------------------------------
They freaking micks, IRISH and GERMAN Americans who think they're foremothers were raped by vikings.
-----------------------------------

People, isn't it amazing how permeating racial hierarchy is in the minds of some individuals.

Isn't it noticeable how this deranged individual left out the English.

This is because in this pathetic individual's mind the English rank higher than the Irish or the Germans. Therefore he believes they should not be attacked.

He also believes that lower ranking groups in his racial hierarchy dogma could not possibly conquer those groups who rank higher racially.

All one has to do is research and they would see that the Vikings did accomplish just that in many areas of England.

metinoot... race fantasy, history, and truth rarely mix. Those who are competent intellectually know that.

Folks, this scholarly beatdown has been brought to you by argyle.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the casting is concerned. They are doing this to generate controversy, which generates publicity, which the clowns who make these dogshit movies with no storyline hope will generate ticket sales and dvd rentals. It's not rocket science.

Most of these idiotic no storyline special effects movies are made for white kids who were conceived while their parents were using illegal narcotics.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IronLion:
Thor was a black man, a black god
worshipped by the original norse-men
the black Vikings, the Dubh-Galls
who ruled the north sea side of Europe
for 10,000 years.

Thor the God of thunder
In Yoruba, he is called Shango!

- Nuff said!
Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -
 -
Shango is shown to carry a double axe although he is a God of thunder I likened him to Zeus rather than Thor..him being a Norse God??..I can't say
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/shango.htm
But the Marvel guys seems to make some connection click link.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It happens.

Ever here of Egyptomania and the many fantasy paintings? Not to say the only Egyptomaniacs were white but the artist usually depicts themselves in their art hence the white Hatshepsut, etc.

I see your point though, this is a movie role, not someone's individual painting.

I laughed at the title and notion of a black Thor and WNationalists gettin mad.

Truth be told my first thought though was why would the only angry folks be racists? Students of history in general can and maybe should be salty, even black ones. Could a Marc Washington-esque push be behind this?

The thing to remember here the attempts at the Aryan-Caucasian usurpation of virtuous legacies worldwide that didn't belong to them as an emotional need for the rationalization of Euro-imperialism -- at times even the Zulu's overrated behinds were hypothesized to be diluted descendants of whites from the Lost city of Atlantis (even though no one knows where it is) on the count of their show of bravery loyalty and duty. This doesn't justify any tit-for tat silliness but

.... i know that Arabs and Moors were all up in Europe (and Huns on the Eastern end -- speaking of which, Ghenghis Khan even has often been portrayed by a white actor in spite of actual depictions of him).

There are depictions of European (maybe Viking) vessels with one or more Africans on board ..

Well those are my thoughts ...

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHorsenation:
I think it's odd to cast a Negro as Thor, but I dont really care. Anyway the topic itself is stupid because there will always be somebody who doesnt like something, just imagine yourself (Afrocentrists) if they cast Nelson Mandela as a white man... it's kinda ridiculous.
The film will certainly be trashy anyway.

Yeah I can tell you're of the opinion that the controversy is stupid, because clearly, your opinion of what transpired has clouded your reading comprehension.

Thor is played by a blonde haired white man, not a black person.

On another note, artwork above is nice.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Orisa Shango

Lord of Thunder and Lightning

Mo juba awo Shango!
Iwo ni Oluwa Awo Ara ati Manamana.
Iwo ni Oluwa Ilu Bata.
Iwo ni Ibinu Olorun.
Iwo ni Oluwa Ifunni ni Imole Lojukanna.
Iwo ni Oluwa Igboiya.
Iwo ni Oluwa Awo Ojo.

I humble myself before the mysteries of Shango!
You are the Owner of the Mysteries of Thunder and Lightning.
You are the Lord of the Bata Drum.
You are the Wrath of God.
You are the Lord of Instant Illumination.
You are the Lord of Courage, Boldness,
Fortitude.
You are the Owner of the Mystery of Rain.

Orisha Shango is the Lord of Thunder and Lightning. Lightning has two characteristics that are indicative of the Ase of Shango. Lighning can instantly illuminate the most intense darkness. In the realm of the ‘godseekers’ this illumination takes the form of instant realization or insight. It is often the case that in the darkness, our eyes deceive us into seeing what is not there, or into perceiving what is there incorrectly. Likewise, in the darkness of ignorance, our intellectual perceptions and emotional reactions are often rooted in fear [False Evidence Appearing Real], and in this state of ignorance and fear, we are likely to act in ways that are DIStressful at best, and DISfunctional at worst.

Ifa is a way of life based upon the principle of developing personal power. From a psychological point of view, personal power increases through the process of overcoming fear. It is the Ase of Shango that enables the godseeker to distinguish between the truth and the lie, and to face the consequences of making and acting upon that distinction. In this sense, lightning symbolizes the tongue of Shango that reveals to us the basis of our fear and offers us the opportunity to choose whether to proceed on the basis of truth, or on the basis of the lie or misperception. When lightning occurs, its brightness can penetrate our closed curtains and our closed eyes. It is not easy to deny the occurrence of the event. Likewise, when Orisa Sango reveals to a godseeker the fallacy and the reality of their perceptions, it is not easy to deny the revelation. And for this reason, there can be severe consequences to acting contrary to Shango’s gifts of illumination. Ifa teaches that blessings come to those who make choices that are consistent with their highest destiny. Within Yoruba culture it is understood that an individual’s highest destiny is based on those choices that build iwa-pele, which means good character.

Although Shango is Ibinu Olorun [the Wrath of God], he does not operate without mercy and compassion for the godseekers. As lightning approaches from the distance, the voice of Shango can be heard getting louder and louder. Orisa Shango offers this warning so that the awake godseeker can seek proper shelter from the Wrath of Olorun. Thunder is Shango’s scream and just as it (thunder) warns us of the impending danger of the approaching lightning, inner illumination is always accompanied by an awareness, an inner voice that calls to us, warning us that our attitudes and behaviors are leading us to dire consequences if they are not adjusted to suit the contextual reality.

Orisa Shango is a ‘hot’ Orisha, one of the three warriors, and is the image and Ase of total maleness. Sango is the master of attacking, of going against the winds of defeat, against the odds, to reach his goal. He is compared to the broken field [cross-country] runner whose straightest route is determined by the number of obstacles between him and his goal. Sango is the idea of the strategic attack. He is the idea of illuminating the challenges and attacking its weakest points. Sango respects two things: force and wisdom. This is the reason he respects Ogun and Obatala. With Ogun his respect is seasoned with fear; with Obatala his respect is seasoned with admiration. He similarly wants his devotees to have two things: courage and intelligence.

Orisa Shango is both a Primordial Divinity and a Deified Ancestor. The unique function of Shango within the realm of Awo Orisha is to provide the inspiration and passion for spiritual transformation. In this sense, it is Shango who represents your and my motivaton as godseekers to aspire to the highest ideals and possibilities of this life. The philosophy of Social Darwinism, survival of the fittest, is simply not sufficient to fulfill Olodumare’s determination to experience the Realm of Infinite Possibilities. It is the destiny of every godseeker to achieve iwa-pele although it may not be their fate.

Iba se Orisa Shango!

Homage to Orisa Shango!

also: http://www.orishanet.org/ocha.html

No 'white' man has any business playing the role of an Orisha...and we need to leave the Norse myths to the Norsemen sameway....I don't business how many African/Black people were in Europe....

I don't even know why it's being debated, but then, looking around this site, there are people who apparently do debate any and everydamthing...

and again, it's just my opinion....

htp

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
quote:

It happens.

Ever here of Egyptomania and the many fantasy paintings? Not to say the only Egyptomaniacs were white but the artist usually depicts themselves in their art hence the white Hatshepsut, etc.

I see your point though, this is a movie role, not someone's individual painting.

Truth be told my first thought though was why would the only angry folks be racists? Students of history in general can and maybe should be salty, even black ones. Could a Marc Washington-esque push be behind this?

The thing to remember here the attempts at the Aryan-Caucasian usurpation of virtuous legacies worldwide that didn't belong to them as an emotional need for the rationalization of Euro-imperialism -- at times even the Zulu's overrated behinds were hypothesized to be diluted descendants of whites from the Lost city of Atlantis (even though no one knows where it is) on the count of their show of bravery loyalty and duty. This doesn't justify any tit-for tat silliness but

.... i know that Arabs and Moors were all up in Europe (and Huns on the Eastern end -- speaking of which, Ghenghis Khan even has often been portrayed by a white actor in spite of actual depictions of him).

There are depictions of European (maybe Viking) vessels with one or more Africans on board ..

Actually it wasn't Thor who was made black but one of his friends, another Norse god called Heimdall. Either way, it is as silly as making the West African god Shango white. Which reminds me, I remember Wally or someone here actually pointing out years back how even some white followers of Voodoo have begun to white-wash the African religion like depicting the god Batala of the white cloth was as white man! LOL
quote:

It's not that Dark folks need to be cast in a movie that was based on European myths, I can live with that except when such a role is meant for a blkman/dark skinned other such as Memmnon, Othello,Sir Morien,St Mourice,The Blk and smitten by the sun Danaids,King Aeetes and his family if not his entire nation and a whole host of others if one wanted to see blks in Euro-fantasy flicks there is plenty..I prefer if they made an Afro-fantasy of southern Gods like Shango, Ra and his crew...

That's my point exactly! You have the presence of actual black figures in Europeans' own myths and legends yet these are continuously and purposely ignored! At the same time you NEVER see the myths and legends or 'fantasies' non-European cultures portrayed in movies by Hollywood, with exception of maybe Chinese and other east Asian themes but even then there has to be a white star somewhere (like in the case of 'The Forbidden Kingdom') or all the stars are white like in 'The Last Airbender'. It is just ludicrous and racist.
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Djehuti, what countries make up "west" Africa?

Watch this dullard run folks because he doesn't know. He uses terms he can't even define.

It's like someone talking about a car but can't even tell you what a car is.

This Djehuti creature is the ultimate numbskull.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ What is the name of your psychiatrist??

Better yet, what is the name of the closest mental hospital??

I believe they are missing a patient.

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
quote:

It happens.

Actually it wasn't Thor who was made black but one of his friends, another Norse god called Heimdall. Either way, it is as silly as making the West African god Shango white. Which reminds me, I remember Wally or someone here actually pointing out years back how even some white followers of Voodoo have begun to white-wash the African religion like depicting the god Batala of the white cloth was as white man! LOL
quote:

It's not that Dark folks need to be cast in a movie that was based on European myths, I can live with that except when such a role is meant for a blkman/dark skinned other such as Memmnon, Othello,Sir Morien,St Mourice,The Blk and smitten by the sun Danaids,King Aeetes and his family if not his entire nation and a whole host of others if one wanted to see blks in Euro-fantasy flicks there is plenty..I prefer if they made an Afro-fantasy of southern Gods like Shango, Ra and his crew...

That's my point exactly! You have the presence of actual black figures in Europeans' own myths and legends yet these are continuously and purposely ignored! At the same time you NEVER see the myths and legends or 'fantasies' non-European cultures portrayed in movies by Hollywood, with exception of maybe Chinese and other east Asian themes but even then there has to be a white star somewhere (like in the case of 'The Forbidden Kingdom') or all the stars are white like in 'The Last Airbender'. It is just ludicrous and racist.

Greetings.

And that main 'white' star of the movie always has to be the savior of the non-'white' people/culture...because they can't save themselves....notice that? [Roll Eyes] There is something else I've noticed, along with this theme, wondering if someone else knows what I'm talking about, before I 'say' it.... [Big Grin]

And how can one not notice how Hollywood can never seem to have a strong Black Man/Black Woman couple as 'main characters' or whathaveyou in a movie....they either have a Black Woman and a 'White' guy, or a Black Man with Becky... [Roll Eyes] remember that movie, when HUEmanity became infertile....and the only woman after one generation's time to get pregnant was a Black Woman (I loved that symbology there, lol)...no, Hollywood couldn't have a Black Man saving and guiding her throughout this movie....it had to be a 'white' guy... [Roll Eyes]

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Djehuti wrote:
--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Just as everyone thought. You can't even define or describe what you mean in your own posts. You're an even bigger nimrod than everyone previously thought.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(quote)what are you the last member who posts at least once a year out of 3,000 who just caught on to me being sonomod?

Groan!(/quote)
I was just curious. I wanted to apologize to you again because I donot believe you accepted my first apology. Either way, I only post on the the ancient Egypt section. The rest of Egyptsearch is of little concern to me.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Thor" etymologically comes from Thawr the ox or bull in Afro-Asiatic dialects. He was the Intauruta of Maitanni as well and Indra in India. He is almost always associated with storms and rain.

There is even a Tor deity of storms in East AFrica among one of the pigmy groups. This was mentioned by Diop.

Not to sound xenophobic but judging from what the ancient historians say about the number of scythian Gods I doubt whether there is a Norse God that can not be traced to the Afro-Asiatic presence in Asia as implied by Martin Bernal as well.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlYkCz86rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIkyJZkRGU

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how eurocentrists get upset over 'black' personification of a fictional character, yet expect people to embrace whitewashing real and historic African figures.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truthcentric

quote:
Masonic says WHAT !!!!

-

I was going to comment on this, but some believe that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Theft Alert

Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moorienz
Member # 18876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moorienz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This shouldnt come as a surprise that many Europeans are ignorant of their African ancestry and even the closeness of the ancient religions and language bases. Historically there were Black Norsemen! There were also Black Scottish Scotland is named after an Egyptian princess Queen Scotia "LOOK IT UP PEOPLE" your ignorance of your own history is pathetic. Well I shouldnt be mean about it many school systems in Europe bought into false histories during the 19th century when many believed Egypt was actually built by a lost country known as Atlantis because it was unfathomable to them that dark skinned people had advanced technology.The Moors were paid tribut by a majority of European nations for more than 200 years this included Virgins for use in Harems etc...African presence in early Europe should include England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Scandinavia. The history and legends of Scotland confirm the existence of "purely Black people." We see one of them in the person of Kenneth the Niger. During the tenth century Kenneth the Niger ruled over three provinces in the Scottish Highlands.
The historical and literary traditions of Wales reflect similar beliefs. According to Gwyn Jones (perhaps the world's leading authority on the subject), to the Welsh chroniclers, "The Danes coming in by way of England and the Norwegians by way of Ireland were pretty well all black: Black Gentiles, Black Norsemen, Black Host."
In ancient Ireland. We have, for example, the legends of the mysterious "African sea-rovers, the Fomorians, who had a stronghold on Torrey Island, off the Northwest Coast." A prominent Viking of the eleventh century was Thorhall, who was aboard the ship that carried the early Vikings to the shores of North America. Thorhall was "the huntsman in summer, and in winter the steward of Eric the Red. He was, it is said, a large man, and strong, black, and like a giant, silent, and foul-mouthed in his speech, and always egged on Eric to the worst; he was a bad Christian."
Another Viking, more notable than Thorhall, was Earl Thorfinn, "the most distinguished of all the earls in the Islands." Thorfinn ruled over nine earldoms in Scotland and Ireland, and died at the age of seventy-five. His widow married the king of Scotland. Thorfinn was described as "one of the largest men in point of stature, and ugly, sharp featured, and somewhat tawny, and the most martial looking man”
So Edris would fit in well with the Pantheon of Norse Gods NUFF SAID!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get affected by this sort of stuff at all, I just find it humorous mainly that other peoples do.

It's funny that the main "ancient Egyptian" I so often see depicted as "black" is Cleopatra, the Greek-Macedonian Queen-Monarch of Kemet of all people (outside of publications by recognizers of AE's Africanity). Then again an individual they "digitally restored" was described basically as biracial so... hey.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes it is hilarious that of all queens and rulers of Kemet people paint as black it would be one of the foreign European dynasties and not any of the indigenous ones.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com