EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Some Africans Say: Only Some African-Americans Are 'Black' (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Some Africans Say: Only Some African-Americans Are 'Black'
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
What I mean is I can't square the difference in opinion among Africans regarding 'blackness' with what is said in many of the conversations here. For instance, no census I know in the real world (e.g. Caribbean) has people from India as 'black' people. This reflects how people on the ground, in the real world, delimit 'blackness'. Members of this site are free to think these people are 'black' in the pigmentation sense, as I used to do back in the day. But at no point was I ever under the illusion that I was using the one true definition that can/should trump other notions of 'blackness'.

If you're looking toward Africa or the Caribbean to figure where any sort of consistency lies from ES, you may be looking in the wrong direction. Most members of this site appear to be focusing on Eurocentric definitions of the idea of race.

name of person quoted added-lioness

[ 13. June 2018, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: the lioness, ]

Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sudanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Africans (and the diaspora) are not a monolith; a Dinka is not going to have even an approximate definition of black to an African-American. I can't imagine the Nilotics accepting Gabrielle Reece, Troian Bellisario, Mariah Carey, Kris Humphries, Darnell Martin, Rashida Jones, Meghan Markle, Maya Rudolph, Jennifer Beals, Soledad O'Brian and Ashley Frangipane.

I don't know if most diasporans would accept these people either. My sister looks like Jennifer Beals but darker.

Posts: 1568 | From: Pluto | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-  -

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sudaniya:
Africans (and the diaspora) are not a monolith; a Dinka is not going to have even an approximate definition of black to an African-American. I can't imagine the Nilotics accepting Gabrielle Reece, Troian Bellisario, Mariah Carey, Kris Humphries, Darnell Martin, Rashida Jones, Meghan Markle, Maya Rudolph, Jennifer Beals, Soledad O'Brian and Ashley Frangipane.

I don't know if most diasporans would accept these people either. My sister looks like Jennifer Beals but darker.

And weren't you talking about Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders identifying as black? So black doesn't even have to mean African?
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No,black and African aren't synonymous.you don't see how whites create bogus terms like "black African" because a chunk of North Africans are white with most not being native the irony being African albinos are seen as anomalous because they retain a stereotypical looks while the idea of a North African is something white like.the crazy thing is the phenotype for whites exist but they are generally dark so the exact look isn't apparent unless they have albinism like this Ethiopian albino.
https://youtu.be/5JnOghnRRVw

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
If you're looking toward Africa or the Caribbean to figure where any sort of consistency lies from ES, you may be looking in the wrong direction. Most members of this site appear to be focusing on Eurocentric definitions of the idea of race.

There is never going to be consistency in notions about 'blackness'. My point is that some are pretending that if you only ignore True Negro and Hamiticism, then everyone will on the same page and only the one true definition of 'blackness' will remain. So I'm not looking for consistency. The only consistency I expect is that if you claim one day that 'blackness' is pigmentation only, you can't say someone has "light skin, but 'black' features" the next day. And yes, I've seen that monumental flip flop happen on this forum. SMH.  -
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That can only make sense if light skin black folks really saw darker skin black folks different outside of complexion, African albinos face hardship despite having the same phenotype.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/04/boris-becker-son-noah-press-charges-mp-racist-tweet

https://youtu.be/Q94NQv7oH_0

Because the absolute number of melanocytes in human skin is approximately the same for both sexes and all races, the amount of melanin in keratocytes and the distribution of it determines the degree of pigmentation of skin. Differences in color among the races result from differences in the number, size, degree of melanization, distribution, and rate of degradation of melanosomes within keratocytes. In dark-skinned peoples, melanosomes within keratocytes are numerous, large, melanized markedly, distributed as solitary units, and degraded slowly. In addition, the epidermis of dark-skinned peoples contains melanocytes whose dendrites are larger and more elongated. In contrast, melanosomes within epidermal keratocytes of light-skinned peoples are fewer, smaller, less abundantly melanized, and distributed as aggregates within phagosomes where they are degraded more rapidly; dendrites are shorter. When pale skin is exposed to ultraviolet light, however, melanocytes increase in number and size, and become more strikingly dendritic. Radiation by ultraviolet light accelerates synthesis, melanization, and transfer of melanosomes to keratocytes. As melanosomes become larger and melanized more copiously, melanin is synthesized actively. This series of events results in tanning. Melanocytes situated in the bulb of anagen follicles impart to hair various colors, those who bear them being known, colloquially, as blonds, brunettes, and redheads.

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
That can only make sense if light skin black folks really saw darker skin black folks different outside of complexion, African albinos face hardship despite having the same phenotype.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/04/boris-becker-son-noah-press-charges-mp-racist-tweet

https://youtu.be/Q94NQv7oH_0

-  -

why is the man on the left lighter than the man on the right?

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sudanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

And weren't you talking about Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders identifying as black? So black doesn't even have to mean African?
Some Aboriginals and most Torres Strait Islanders are far darker (visibly black) than the people I listed. Would you readily know that Ashley Frangipane was part black just from looking at her.

It's fascinating just looking at them. I thought they would be at least in the middle, but these biracial celebrities could pass for white.

We have the same issue here in Australia with very Anglo-Saxon people claiming and showing pride in their Aboriginal heritage; the more visibly Aboriginal people mock some of these people, as does mainstream Australian society.

Aboriginals have recessive genes so I can understand a white looking person could still be Aboriginal; I have two European looking Aboriginal friends; one is proud of his heritage and the other only evokes it to get what Americans would call affirmative action.

In terms of black, I was also speaking from the point of view of what the blackest-skin people (Nilotics) would regard as black. I can't see how *I'm* personally being inconsistent.

Posts: 1568 | From: Pluto | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Question: Why are albinos killed in Bantu countries? We have albinos in Sudan and no one cares at all; even the people of the South have no superstitious beliefs about them that would endanger their lives.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Question: Why are albinos killed in Bantu countries? We have albinos in Sudan and no one cares at all; even the people of the South have no superstitious beliefs about them that would endanger their lives.

what do you mean by "South" ? Albinos are murdered in South Africa sometimes

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/albinos-murders-south-africa-why/

sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

what do you mean by "South" ? Albinos are murdered in South Africa

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/albinos-murders-south-africa-why/

I was speaking of my South - South Sudan. Greater Sudan is still in my heart.
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Some Aboriginals and most Torres Strait Islanders are far darker (visibly black) than the people I listed. Would you readily know that Ashley Frangipane was part black just from looking at her.

It's fascinating just looking at them. I thought they would be at least in the middle, but these biracial celebrities could pass for white.

We have the same issue here in Australia with very Anglo-Saxon people claiming and showing pride in their Aboriginal heritage; the more visibly Aboriginal people mock some of these people, as does mainstream Australian society.

Aboriginals have recessive genes so I can understand a white looking person could still be Aboriginal; I have two European looking Aboriginal friends; one is proud of his heritage and the other only evokes it to get what Americans would call affirmative action.

In terms of black, I was also speaking from the point of view of what the blackest-skin people (Nilotics) would regard as black. I can't see how *I'm* personally being inconsistent.

Do the darker Aboriginals see themselves as black?
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Oshun

Yes, the Aboriginals call themselves black; they refer to themselves as blackfellas.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When weren't they black? When did they become merely dark.
They resent Blacks who claim only Africans are black.

https://overland.org.au/2015/03/are-there-black-people-in-australia/

http://theconversation.com/we-just-black-matter-australias-indifference-to-aboriginal-lives-and-land-85168

https://www.blakhistorymonth.com/

Recognising that Australia is steeped in a rich Aboriginal and Torres Strait history, Blak History Month was proclaimed on the shoulders of giants and a cultural continuum from time immemorial.

OUR ROOTS
BLAK HISTORY MONTH has humble beginnings. From the solitary act of one to a movement that has spread right across Australia, taking it's place in the world. It's roots lie in the desire for our communities to tell our own stories, to define our own celebrations and to lead on our own ambitions.

OUR PEOPLE
BLAK HISTORY MONTH is indebted to those who have come before us and those who walk with us who have in their lifetime fostered positive social change or achievement for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. We are still in an era of 'firsts' and as a collective people, are frequently breaking new ground and creating a bright future for the mob.

-

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
So " Black History Month" actually means history of all people in the world with dark skins month
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things to note for this discussion. Blacks in the Western Hemisphere have been conditioned to view themselves according to racial categories imposed on them by European racial culture.

In Africa, such has not been the case except in places where European and Arab cultures have been imposed. Examples are places like South Africa, Angola, Mozambique, and Cape Verde, where "race" was a major determinant of social class--all deriving from an imposed "white supremacy". "Coloureds" from South Africa, and "Mestizos" from Angola,Mozamibique, and Cape Verde were seen as socially superior in those countries.

In African countries not so affected, the marker of identity was/is ethnicity and religion, one reason being that phenotypes vary substantially in the African environment.

In North Africa dark and brown Africans are often subjected to insults--even when Muslim. But in other parts of Africa, ethnicity and religion are the main classifiers.

Examples:
In Mali and other Sahel regions the Tuareg are always referred to by their ethnicity--not in terms of color.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tuareg+people+images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP9urq_dXbAhWEVBQKHajiCg0Q7AkIWw&biw=1067&bih=489&dpr=1.5

In Rwanda, the Germans imposed race categories on the people there leading to the designated "caucasoid" Tutsis being awarded with positions of authority during colonial times. But before the German colonial intervention, Tutsis were just pastoralists living in and speaking the same language as the Hutus.

Tutsis
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=1067&bih=489&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Md0jW_q3H4nXU9O6qIAF&q=rwanda++ladies+photos&

Ibos(Nigeria)

There is a wide color range among the Ibos of Nigeria--ranging from dark to yellow. Yet, the principal identifier is ethnicity and language.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ibo+ladies+images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS7evXgNbbAhUGuBQKHYF1B5MQ7AkIOQ&biw=1067&bih=489

Hausa people(couples)
Again, wide phenotypical ranges with the main identifier being ethnicity
https://www.google.com/search?q=hausa++couples++images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ9LL4gdbbAhWHShQKHRK9Cr0Q7AkISA&biw=1067&bih=489

Somali people(couples)
https://www.google.com/search?q=somali++couples+images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwsaL2gtbbAhXDPxQKHd_QDIQQ7AkIRA&biw=1067&bih=489

Miss Black America 2017
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=1067&bih=489&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=UuEjW_ePIsLtUqjOhqAC&q=miss+black++america++2017++images&oq=miss+bla

Miss Guinea 2017
https://www.google.com/search?q=miss+guinea+2015+images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKg6fuhNbbAhUBvBQKHaIIACAQ7AkIQg&biw=1067&bih=489

In sum, the practice of people classification in Africa is more based on ethnicity and nationality--if from another African country than on race.

Interesting Note
Africans returned to Africa after being put on ships to the Americas have chosen specific names for themselves. Examples: Brazilian Yorubas(Nigeria), Krio(Sierra Leone), Congos/Americo Liberians(Liberia), Aku(the Gambia), etc.

The issue is relatively complex as evidenced by this story. A black American researcher traveled to Kenya for a conference held at a hotel. When the conference was over he took a taxi back to his hotel. The driver of the taxi then asked --"where are you from?" The researcher replied with "Chicago". The taxi driver pondered for a moment then said "I never heard of that tribe".

The question is: absent Eurocentrically imposed racial categories for Africans transplanted to the Western Hemisphere, what should be their proper self identification? African American?

[ 16. June 2018, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: the lioness, ]

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your input. Do you also have descriptive examples of Africans giving their thoughts on where they see themselves (and/or others) in the black-red-yellow-swarthy-white spectrum? That is the type of information this thread mostly centers around.
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Ptolemaic era Egyptians had a standardized way of classifying themselves based on skin pigmentation. They seem to have recognized mainly three categories: heavily pigmented (jetblack and dark-medium brown[?]), honey-coloured and pale. Additional adjectives were also used to describe reddish tints. Evidence of these skin colour classifications mainly come from ancient legal documents and were written in Greek:

quote:
Ptolemaic period documents in Greek tend to go into more detail and employ
multiple body descriptors more than Roman texts. These adjectives occur in a
regular order of height, complexion, hair, shape of face, followed by any other
distinguishing features, usually scars or peculiarities of the eyes, so that one moves
in on the subject gradually, from far away to close up. For instance, Panas son of
Pates appears in a document of 100 BCE (P. Adler GI 3.2. s) as 'aged 45, medium
height, honey-coloured, straight-haired, broad-faced, straight-nosed, with a scar
under the right eye, and sparsely bearded.' A description of this complexity would
be unusual later on, when people are generally reduced to a more or less standard
combination of complexion with head shape. In contrast, documents in Demotic
very rarely delineate the parties at all, perhaps through traditional usage rather than
because the participants were less 'body aware.' The physical designations were
probably applied by the scribe writing the text as the parties sat in front of him,
rather than by the individuals concerned themselves. Therefore how somebody is
imaged would have depended on how a scribe interpreted the stock descriptive
epithets in terms of the person before him, rather, than giving any idea of how
that person conceptualised his or her own body. However, these standard epithets
do provide an idea of the hierarchy of body parts and features, with eyes, hair and
cranial shape each conveying differing amounts of information about the person.

Apart from those referring to beards, the same set of adjectives is used for
women and men. Unless it is grey, hair colour is rarely alluded to; presumably
most people had various shades of dark hair which was not distinctive enough to
be a useful determinant in itself. Instead, the extent of hair or its texture is
remarked upon: people are 'straight-haired' 'curly-haired' (klastos or
'with balding forehead' (anaphalontos or anaphalakros)87 and •wispy-
bearded' (spanop6g6n or kakop6g6n).88 Even more important are the eyes, and the
rich vocabulary used to describe them indicates their symbolic importance in 'a
world in which the scrutiny of onek fellow man was not an idle pastime but an
essential survival skill.'89 As with hair, their colour does not seem to have been
very important, although some people are referred to as being 'light—eyed' (glaukos
Or charopos). Instead, adjectives referring to the shape Of the eyes or their defects
are much more common, the latter an uncomfortable rermnder Of how prevalent
eye diseases were (and still are) in a climate like that of Egypt. There are individuals
who are 'rather short-sighted' 'one—eyed' with
squints 92 and cataracts, 93 and many who are blind (typhlos).94 Other than the hair
and eyes, the main general foci are the head and face, concentrating on the shade
of the complexion and the shape of face. Two sets of adjectives are frequently
juxtaposed to describe people. One can be melichr6s and makropros6pos, 'honey-
coloured' and 'long—faced', or dark-skinned Or swarthy (melanchr6s)
with a round
face (strongyloprosépon): one is reminded of the 'brown and blue' collocation of the
modern lonely hearts column. The extent to which 'the Egyptians carefully
distinguished themselves from their darker Nubian and Ethiopian neighbours'" S is
not easy to assess. The documents use a restricted range of complexion vocabulary,
but then one might not expect there to be many southerners among the document-
writing classes in the provincial cities. By the same token, pale individuals are not
Often encountered, and are usually foreigners or slaves. Other people have various
degrees of ruddiness, denoted by the adjectives pyrrhakés, hypopyrrhos and epipyrrhos.
There are occasional face—shape variants such as koilogeneios, 'with a receding chin'.
Noses are usually straight (euthyrin) or snub (simos).

Source
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Stephen Curry Conundrum

In Haiti, Curry's family would be referred to as "gens de couleur". In South Africa as "Coloureds". In the U.S. as "light skinned blacks".

But the paradox is that in Africa, if they wore African clothing, spoke an ethnic language and carried ethnic names, they would be judged purely on that basis especially in Africa above the equator.

Cape Verde is just off the coast of Senegal, so what to make of this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=miss++cabo+verde+2018&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizpYiS09jbAhVsAsAKHQJ5DlkQ7AkINw&biw=1067&bih=489#imgrc=NR6geODB o1XX8M:

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakepit1
Member # 21736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakepit1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They´re not. That´s the short answer.
Posts: 117 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t see how this “Kola” individual is relevant.

There are many African channels that dispute her nonsense claims.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a number of forum members have read Kola Boof's blogs, they will be aware that her definition of Black is defined strictly by hair texture - ie so called "nappy hair". These are the people she describes as black, and with respect to the African diaspora, that is primarily those of the Atlantic slave trade.

So "black" in her context means the people the people of Africa labelled as Bantus and Nilotics who were the primary victims of the Atlantic slave trade and the Arab/East African slave trade. This is why other dark-skinned Africans, such as Somalis, Nubians, Fulanis, "North/Arab" Sudanese and other African populations who exhibit looser hair textures are excluded from that definition, although it may not be that accurate with respect to both slave trades, as for instance Fulani people were also victims of the Atlantic slave trade, even though they were slavers as well. It must be also noted that none of the above groups can claim to be totally free from the slave trade, as though slavers were that particular.

There is also continued miscegenation in Africa between people from tha various groups so the definitions get muddled further. For instance there are Somali Bantu, who are descended from abductees from the East African slave trade who got deposited in Somalia who are not regarded as "ethnic Somali", who mix with "ethnic Somalis", yet there are ethnic Somalis whose hair textures may put then in the Black group although they are different from those typically seen as "proper" Somalis. In the same way in Sudan, ie (north) Sudan there is miscegenation between people who are now classified as South Sudanese, and other non Black Sudanese and Arab Sudanese, not to mention that the border between (north) Sudan and South Sudan does not stricly demarcate these phenotypes.
Then there is the matter of Darfuris and Chadians which is also a whole new set of complications.

Note that I use the term "exhibit looser hair texture" although some members of these groups exhibit "nappy hair" just as some members of the Black group also exhibit "looser hair texture", although though those are most definitely in the minority.

So strictly speaking the a number of the women below do not fall into Kola Boof's Bantu/Nilotic rooted definition of Black, although in the context of the Western world's African diaspora, and immigration into the West from these other parts of Africa it is arguably ridiculous and even unkind and unjust to exclude them.

In fact women like that are subject to put downs (colourism) on account of their complexions within the communities irregardless of their hair texture.

-
Picture Me Natural

Not Black by virtue of being Sudanese with naturally straight hair

What is interesting about this young woman is that her cleft chin, aka "butt chin", is viewed as a marker of European or Asian ancestry, although her deep brown complexion (ie, not the result of tanning) would suggest otherwise. It must also be said that South Asians such as Tamils are just as dark and even darker.

Here is an interesting one.

-
Love halssa Not Black by virtue of being Somali with straight hair

-
Daniella (ESP)

Black by virtue of Ancestry DNA Results Hair texture may or may not be natural.

How about Hodan:

-
Black? not sure, hair concealed by hijab

-
Black? - definitely not - Hair exposed

So you see a woman who will be called black under any other circumstances is not black according to her definition, but her words have to be taken in the proper context.

-
Nya Johnson - Dinka - Afro Hair - Black

-
Nya Johnson - Dinka - Afro Hair - Black

-
Kola Boof - Dinka/Arab ancestry, dark skinned, Afro Hair Black by virtue of hair texture from Dinka ancestry which she exhibits.

Kola Boof's views should be viewed in their proper context of most of her blogs about Black people and Black men, which is the lack of respect, appreciation and commitment men of Bantu origin, ie the racial background of the people abducted into Atlantic slave trade, display towards their women, both privately and in mainstream media.

This attitude is very manifest in the contemporary Black entertainment industry, where in the case of women in particular every star appears to be biracial, with different combinations of ethnicity. A good contemporary example is one Cardi B, who is as about as talentless as they come, one of her hits being Bodak Yellow.

It seems the title of the song Bodak Yellow is a parody based on one Kodak Black, a rapper who gained notoriety (the quickest way to fame in the rap industry, doing some jail time and being arrested on drugs and firearms possession also helps) by disparaging Black women in (currently known and described dark skinned black women) in favour of biracials and other racially "ambiguous" women.

--------------------
The Habsburg Agenda - Defending Western Christian civilization

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
The hair examples shown as not "straight hair" but "curly hair". East Asians and most Europeans also have straight hair. Native Americans also tend to have the same type of straight hair that East Asians have.
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^
Lamin do not nitpick so much. As far as us Bantus are concerned that kind of her is straight and our hair is curly. No way Ghanaians and Nigeria would use the word curly to describe the hair of the Somali and the "straight-haired" Sudanese girl above. That is what the pictures are there for.

--------------------

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
To drive home my point about the relation between hair texture and being Black, especially in the African American diaspora, here is a video of the Siddis of India.

-
The Siddi, an African Community in India - YouTube

Take a close look at their hair textures. This is the root of Kola Boof's definition of Black.

There are some Somalis who are virtually indistinguishable from South Indians like Tamils and Sinhalese. If many of them were sold into slavery, which is a virtual certainty, how would they be physically distinguishable from South Indians?

If this Somali woman wore a sari and tied her hair back what cause would there be for classifying her anything but an Indian, unlike the Siddis in the video?

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-
Dikshitar Brāhman.

The Dīkshitars form a limited community of only several hundred families. The men, like Nāyars and Nambūtiri Brāhmans of the west coast, wear the hair tuft on the front of the head. They do not give their girls in marriage to other sections of Brāhmans, and they do not allow their women to leave Chidambaram. Hence arises the proverb “A Thillai girl never crosses the boundary line.” The Dīkshitars are priests of the temple of Natarāja at Chidambaram, whereat they serve by turns. Males marry very early in life, and it is very difficult to secure a girl for marriage above the age of five. The tendency to marry when very young is due to the fact that only married persons have a voice in the management of [339]the affairs of the temple, and an individual must be married before he can get a share of the temple income.

-
A Shōlaga (Soliga) Dravidian man

Soliga, also spelled Sholaga and Shōlaga, is an ethnic group of India. Its members inhabit the Biligiriranga Hills and associated ranges in southern Karnataka, mostly in the Chamarajanagar and Erode districts of Tamil Nadu.

-

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
^^^^^

Lioness can you remove your own post as it is not relevant to the thread. It is not about Indian people per se. I only compared the Somali women to the Siddis to drive point the home about Kola Boof's definition of what Black means to her - the relevance of hair texture..

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
That would be ridiculous since the topic starter Swenet mentions India on the first page and it is quoted by Oshun at the top of this page. In addition you have your own separate popular Kola Boof thread
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I would say that Habsburg Agenda is right. Posting about Indians for the sake of posting about Indians is hard to relate to the topic. It would be on topic if you related it to Africans having a conversation about whether Indians are 'black'. You can still edit your post so with a bit of creativity you can make it (more) on topic.

With all the lioness employees, I'm sure you guys can figure something out.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Habsburg Agenda:
Hapsburg's post

This post by Hapsburg is exactly what I'm looking for.

--the example/anecdote/case study/analysis on someone's use of 'black' is descriptive and detailed.
--it gives insight in where some Africans (in this case, Boof) draw the line as far as who is or isn't 'black'.
--It's not a personal opinion held by a single person, but it's shared by many. So it has anthropological value.
--It adds details I might have overlooked in regards to Boof's exact criteria for establishing 'blackness'.

I've shortened Hapsburg's quote to keep this thread readable. Sometimes quoting someone forces people to do lots of unnecessary scrolling to get where they need to go.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at her statements in the OP, it sounds like Boof is using a restrictive definition of "Blackness" to protest colorism in the Afro-Diasporan community. And you have to admit the existence of that phenomenon can complicate attempts to classify certain individuals into the "black" category.

Make the definition too broad, and you might end up with lighter-skinned "black" people being singled out as the most ideal representatives of the "black community". For example, a beauty magazine could easily say they're "hiring black women" even as they target only those women whose non-African admixture is more visible. On the other hand, make the definition too restrictive, and lots of famous Afro-Diasporan role models (e.g. Barack Obama, Halle Berry, and Frederick Douglass) might get thrown out of the "black" category because of their mixed heritage.

I guess you could consider this another reason why "black" can be a problematic term?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I would say that Habsburg Agenda is right. Posting about Indians for the sake of posting about Indians is hard to relate to the topic.

quote:
For instance, no census I know in the real world (e.g. Caribbean) has people from India as 'black' people.

Are you now going to pretend I post people from India at random in a thread?

In addition according to CLyde and Doug the Indians I posted are black

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
No, most people aren't aware of the difference between race, ethnicity and nationality so when speaking about African people the issue is a historic ignorance as we didn't a have exact concept of "Blackness" until white racism and what makes a African person is genetics regardless of phenotype after the out of Africa event. Race doesn't exist but ethnicity and nationality do which fluctuates as time progresses.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, diasporan Africans ~1200 years ago
did not tell al~Jahiz who the blacks of
their then known world were because the
Almighty White European Gods had not yet
invented blackness for them. You know,
blacks are inactive passive agents not
cognizant of anything until Simon Says.

And nevermind what African blacks in the
anthro-professions say black is, Betty
Boop is a better anthropologist. I see
her quoted by scientists all the time!

AEs never meant they and upriver Sudanis
were black while coastal North Africans
and Levantines were red. They were
talking about silt and sand not people.
AEs weren't black anyway. All the Greco
Latins were hallucinating when they saw
AEs and agreed with AE self-assessed
blackness.

Forget about the rule, define by the exception.

And the Haabe who call Fulani the white man
of Africa in fact remove Fulani from a black
status. Or let's go by Wolof standards, dark
chocolate isn't black to them. So 95% of
Inner Africans aren't black.

Non degreed non academic personal/group culture
notions that agree with one's personal opinion
Trumps all other considerations.

No, the average African doesn't mean culture
when they rule even the most extreme negro
phenotype Black American as white, no not
at all.

But if one isn't in day to day contact with an
international set of Africans of varying levels
of education, how would one know THE monolithic
African standard for blackness.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by A Habsburg Agenda:
If a number of forum members have read Kola Boof's blogs, they will be aware that her definition of Black is defined strictly by hair texture - ie so called "nappy hair".

No it's not. She flip flops so much on how she defines race which is why I can't take her seriously as an ethnographic reflection of "Africa". She doesn't have a coherent standard for what she believes is black. It'd be one thing if her differences in belief were simply a matter of understanding so many different interpretations of blackness, but they're clearly influenced by factors few SSA deal with.

For example: How many SSA have a white Arab father? She claims being black is by "blood" while Zendaya isn't because she's got a white European parent. This doesn't seem like a contradiction in thought most Africans would have. She originally concedes that by all this blood talk, she's not authentically black either because of her ancestry then yoyos around and eyerolls blacks who say she's not black because she claims her features make her black. So then it's not "blood" it's "features." She says Zendaya lacks "strong features" but then disparages the blackness of Malcolm X because he's light skinned. I know some want to make her exemplary of Africa, but she relies on discussing blackness through modern U.S race models that accept her as black for her features, while admonishing the acceptance of lighter skinned people using the exact system if they also have any "black features" too. When she comments on other shades IN Africa she says red and yellow types are "natural" to African tribes, but wants them ejected from American black communities because they "can't love Africa" enough. THEN she compares Clarence Thomas to Malcolm X.

I don't get the impression she's really interested in conveying an objective standard from Africa. She's not consistent. She wants to be black and speak on black issues, but has a difficult time advocating for her blackness while pushing away lighter people (some of whom, probably do have more African ancestry than she does). She keeps talking about light acceptance of any kind as "brainwashing" from the one drop rule. She knows NO ONE in the U.S is claiming Craig Cobb to be black, but draws on the emotional appeal of that extremism specifically when people accept blacks in America with light skin. So in a sense I find her to be inaccurate in how she describes African and American race models. She she is speaking with a vision for her own model for race that helps her cope with her own life story. It's fine but it neither fully captures Africa OR America.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Physical anthropology of the living vs the dead.

Sliding social and cultural norms vs osteo measurements.

Non-black by one, black by the other.

No genetic color races. Genes affecting complexion
only allow for dark or light assignments. No Yellow
Red Brown Black or White pronouncements possible.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Physical anthropology of the living vs the dead.

Sliding social, cultural, but most of all POLITICAL norms vs replicable osteo measurements.

Non-black by one, black by the other.
Which one should science rely on?

No genetic color races. Genes affecting complexion
only allow for dark or light assignments. No Yellow
Red Brown Black or White pronouncements possible.

Then there's local vs global definition.
Which one overrules the other and why?

--------------------

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
I would say that Habsburg Agenda is right. Posting about Indians for the sake of posting about Indians is hard to relate to the topic.

quote:
For instance, no census I know in the real world (e.g. Caribbean) has people from India as 'black' people.

Are you now going to pretend I post people from India at random in a thread?

In addition according to CLyde and Doug the Indians I posted are black

You just posted pictures of Indians and African Americans with no commentary of your own. How do you justify such a post, to begin with? If you claim that post relates to Africans having varying views on 'blackness' you'll have to explain how.

I'm not saying you can't mention Indians. But let's make sure posts about them fit in the guidelines of this thread.

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
If blackness is a descriptor of color how are albinos for example black?

If blackness is about our measuring African ancestry how is Beyonce not black, but you guys are saying an Aboriginal is black?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I see some people really have difficulties with the thread being primarily about descriptive and ethnographic examples of views on 'blackness' among continental and diasporal Africans, and secondarily about what you think about these notions that are currently in circulation among Africans.

*The thread is not about what YOU want 'blackness' to mean
*The thread is not about what one African once called someone else
*The thread is not about getting clarity on where other members stand in terms of 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what science has to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what ancient Greeks had to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what al Jahiz had to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what Europeans have to say about 'blackness'

If you are uncomfortable with Africans having their own ideas about 'blackness' to the point where you can't resist telling people what they should think, this thread is not for you.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

What about browness or redness or etc.

Who are the Browns? What makes them brown?
Are they relegated to a single section of a single continent?

Why don't the strictures some want to apply to blacks apply to whites browns reds and yellows?

I see Africans Europeans 'Levantines' and the
Indian sub-continentals applying black and white
status to themselves and their neighbors.

Who are the reds yellows and browns self defined
as such and where are their thoughts on redness
browness and yellowness?

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Ptolemaic era Egyptians had a standardized way of classifying themselves based on skin pigmentation.

quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
... African people ...
we didn't a have exact concept of "Blackness" until white racism and what makes a African person is genetics regardless of phenotype after the out of Africa event.

quote:

exactly what I'm looking for.

--It's not a personal opinion held by a single person, but it's shared by many. So it has anthropological value.

I can be addressed directly and no conflict will result.
I feel my opinion is as good as anyone else's in
the market
place of ideas where any can reject it as they please.

Threads always expand. I thought I was expanding not
detracting, following up on the above quoted ideas.
But I strongly believe a thread is what it's
author says it should be. So please quote where I violated
your thread and I will explain or expunge per your will.

But let's not forget what I posted last page where
six contemporary African ethnocities' color concepts
are given.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
I was present when a man from Gabon called
the man below "The white man of Africa," to
which he not only did not object but also
restrained a Black American from objecting.

-

quote:
Originally posted by Gedegbe:
A more similar conception would be that of my ethnic people (Aja-Fon) from West Africa who call themselves (me-wi) "black-people" (cf Egyptians calling them black (people)), when referring to them along with their neighbors like the Yoruba, Bariba, Akan regardless as they are pitch-black skinned, brown skinned, light skinned, etc as opposed to Europeans.

Among these people, we consider different nuances of skin tone. If we talk about a specific me-wi as being "nya-wi" (male-black) or as "na-wi" (female-black), it will be a reference to their "very dark or pitch black complexion".
 -
a "nya-wi"

If we talk about somebody as a "nya-vo(2)"(male-red), or "na-vo(3)" (female-red), it will be a reference to their lighter than average skin complexion.
(3)  -

(2)  -

a na-wi and a nya-wi

Only the intermediary brown/darkbrown usual complexion(4;5), won't require the use of a distinctive color adjective.
 -
 -
Two "regular" me-wi

Senegalese egyptologist Aboubacry Moussa LAM reported the case of two middle (?) kingdom brothers, one being called Pepi the Red, and the other, Pepi the Black. It could describe two brothers one with light, and the other with very dark skinned complexion.

quote:
Originally posted by Young H.O.R.U.S:
In Nigeria, among the Yoruba people, there have always been 3 human colour classifications.
• We generally refer to ourselves as Dudu/Black,
• light-skinned Africans are referred to as Pupa/Red-Yellow (think 'palm oil') and
Funfun/White (albinos).

People need to stop generalising about Africa.

quote:
... the USA idea of black is not Africa's idea.
In Africa people are recognized by their actual
tone or the tone of the majority of their ethny.

Ethiopia has a three colour terminology
tequr:black
teyem:brown
qey:red

Sudan

azraq:blue
akhdar:green
asmar:brown
ahmar:red
asfar:yellow

Fon

me-wi:black people
nya/na-wi:male/female black (very dark or pitch black complexion
nya/na-vo:male/female red (lighter than average skin complexion

Yoruba

dudu:black
light-skinned Africans are referred to as
pupa:red-yellow (think 'palm oil') and
funfun:White (albinos).

Ibo

ojii:black
ocha:white

Then there are the Kel taGelmust with their
various designations for themselves, coastal
Berbers, and Gnawas, yellow, white, grey; or
internal assignments by class noble, vassal,
and enslaved, red green black.

Unlike for some Diasporans, black is only a descriptor.
But for some Diasporans Black is the only identity they have.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I see some people really have difficulties with the thread being primarily about descriptive and ethnographic examples of views on 'blackness' among continental and diasporal Africans, and secondarily about what you think about these notions that are currently in circulation among Africans.

*The thread is not about what YOU want 'blackness' to mean
*The thread is not about what one African once called someone else
*The thread is not about getting clarity on where other members stand in terms of 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what science has to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what ancient Greeks had to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what al Jahiz had to say about 'blackness'
*The thread is not about what Europeans have to say about 'blackness'

If you are uncomfortable with Africans having their own ideas about 'blackness' to the point where you can't resist telling people what they should think, this thread is not for you.

Did you read any of this?

quote:
Nairaland Forum
Nairaland is ranked 7th most visited site in Nigeria

Do you identify as Black?

Light Skin People And Multi Racial People Are Not Blacks

Why Are We Black?

Africans We Are "Not" Blacks!!!! We Are Tribals !!!!!

Right or Wrong? Grouping Human Beings According to Skin Color

Why Do Africans Call Black Americans and Black Carribeans Akatas ?

Why are Nigerians Called "Black" people while Indians are called "indians"?

Racism/Colorism Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People

Are East Africans Really BLACK????

Do You Consider Soamlis As Black?

The Reason Why Blacks Try So Hard to Claim Somalis/Ethiopians

Malagasy Peoples: A Beutiful Blend Of African And Asian Peoples

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
I can be addressed directly and no conflict will result.
I feel my opinion is as good as anyone else's in
the market
place of ideas where any can reject it as they please.

I'm not singling you out. I'm also including others, like lioness (who made an effort on the first page before another lioness employee took over) and thereal. I hope Oshun also gets the idea now. Habsburg and Snakepit type posts is what I'm looking for with descriptive and 'ethnographic' type information on Africans giving their take on 'blackness'. When in doubt see their posts.

Your ethnographic list is helpful, too. It would be even better if it were descriptive and expounded and preferably with these ethnic groups explaining it in their own words.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
Looking at her statements in the OP, it sounds like Boof is using a restrictive definition of "Blackness" to protest colorism in the Afro-Diasporan community. And you have to admit the existence of that phenomenon can complicate attempts to classify certain individuals into the "black" category.

Make the definition too broad, and you might end up with lighter-skinned "black" people being singled out as the most ideal representatives of the "black community". For example, a beauty magazine could easily say they're "hiring black women" even as they target only those women whose non-African admixture is more visible. On the other hand, make the definition too restrictive, and lots of famous Afro-Diasporan role models (e.g. Barack Obama, Halle Berry, and Frederick Douglass) might get thrown out of the "black" category because of their mixed heritage.

I guess you could consider this another reason why "black" can be a problematic term?

What is funny is that it seems to be mostly westernized diasporal Africans and African immigrants who are dismissive to other notions of 'blackness'. As I said on the previous thread page, in the Caribbean diasporal Africans live side-by-side with dark skinned Asians and Amazonians.

-

People like Doug and thereal probably never left the states and don't even know/care that just outside of the states their claims have no currency. They would get laughed out the room trying to claim dark skinned Amazonians. And what makes it worse is they don't want to acknowledge that they are on their own as far as current notions, and make excuses. SMH. Even flat earthers will admit their ideas aren't mainstream. On Egyptsearch they pretend their ideas are mainstream once you account for Eurocentrism or whatever it is they want to blame it on.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Please note CotonouByNight (sorry, I can't restore
his three missing images) and YoungHorus in their
own words tell about their back home usages and my
anecdote of a Gabonese, amongst a group of W Afrs
and two African Americans, calling Fulani whites
obviously because of culture totally disregarding
complexion and consciousness though nobody in the
room professed a traditional African religion and
all but the Americans carried gris-gris.

I know you didn't mean me alone
but since I did expand on two things
you brought up (pre-contemporary notions;
anthropological applicability) so I am
confused where I went wrong continuing
in that vein. ?!? Are you now saying
these are off limits?

If you give me my quoted specifics I won't
be confused about what to stay away from.
Thx. I won't feel embarrassed and maybe
my approach is against the grain of
Deshret type conversation.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
What is funny is that it seems to be mostly westernized diasporal Africans and African immigrants who are dismissive to other notions of 'blackness'. As I said on the previous thread page, in the Caribbean diasporal Africans live side-by-side with dark skinned Asians and Amazonians.

People like Doug and thereal probably never left the states and don't even know/care that just outside of the states their claims have no currency. They would get laughed out the room trying to claim dark skinned Amazonians. And what makes it worse is they don't want to acknowledge that they are on their own as far as current notions, and make excuses. SMH. Even flat earthers will admit their ideas aren't mainstream. On Egyptsearch they pretend their ideas are mainstream once you account for Eurocentrism or whatever it is they want to blame it on.

The difference has to do with demographic context and political power

AAs are a minority in America estimated to be under 15%
There is power in numbers therefore AAs who see white people as their oppressor often might see a broad definition of "black" inclusive of all brown skinned people to be an advantage in the context of America, Europe and their spheres of influence.
First AAs and brown Hispanics and other brown people band together to counteract white power, if they have any issues between themselves after that it is dealt with after that.
But an African living in Africa is not going to relate much to that because they are the vast majority in Africa, they don't need numbers

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:

-

I don't know where those notions of race come from. They are neither a common description of race in Africa OR in the West. That dark skinned Asian woman would NOT be accepted as black in the most of Africa Africa or the west. She might be if Filipinos in South Africa?

quote:

First AAs and brown Hispanics and other brown people band together to counteract white power, if they have any issues between themselves after that it is dealt with after that.
But an African living in Africa is not going to relate much to that because they are the vast majority in Africa, they don't need numbers

"Colored solidarity" is actually very poor in the U.S between blacks and non blacks. And which lioness is this? We already went over this. AA have no TRIBAL identity like Africans, so race has been adopted to fill in some of the hole that left. When you tell an AA they're not black that means your saying black history and culture isn't "theirs" despite mixed AA contributing to both. It's not simply a political benefit. Africans don't need tribal identity. They already have it. Which do you think would have a harder time with someone saying they're not black a person that's half Somali and half German or an African American with European mixture from 100-200 years ago?
Snakepit1
Member # 21736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakepit1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snakepit1:
[QUOTE]This whole idea about what "white people think", or what a "non black cop would do" when pulling someone over is ridiculous. Non-black people aren't the ones who decide who and what is a black person

Race itself is a "non black" invention. No matter how much black people want to "decide," we know most of us would probably get rid of race if we could and go back to (or stick with) tribal systems. Race is a reflection of problems with defining our lives the way we want. Because we didn't invent race, our independent definitions aren't often very influential across the world. If you live in a European country the fact you don't get to choose your race is hammered into you very early--sometimes with violence. This is why it matters to AA.

Because of "how white people think" AA were forced to share the same spaces, exchange ideas and make a common cultures regardless of previous tribes, shades or mixture. So in the U.S "black" is a culture or ethnic group which is in part AA are so inclusive. When telling someone they're not "black" it's taking history and culture from someone in America. However in many African countries the abuses AA experienced did not happen and so you wouldn't say your culture is "black." You'd say your culture is for example Ashanti, Igbo or Somali. You don't have to tread as lightly to say "so and so isn't black" because you're not taking a person's history and culture.

quote:
I think American-Africans should be VERY careful when talking about this topic, as they are HEAVILY indoctrinated by the "one-drop"/hypodescent rule. Where I'm from, Zendaya and people like her would be referred to as white/colored/mulatto/half-caste , regardless of what that makes one feel.
It is not "indoctrination" because AA don't follow the one drop rule. The "one drop rule" would mean white supremacists like Craig Cobb could receive black scholarships or could express his opinion of the black community as though he were a member of it. Stephen Curry could apply for a black scholarship with no social outrage for reasons unique to the U.S history. Which is why, when black people say "The AE are black" in the U.S (and in other parts of Europe with a similar history), it makes sense because they're talking about whose black where they live. If in another black country AE wouldn't be considered black but they're being claimed that would be strange. In the U.S you can be black with mixture, you can be black and have several features that appear more frequently in other races. In the U.S entire communities and cultures of people were shaped around a common history. Many of black heroes like Fredrick Douglass and Malcolm X were heavily mixed and/or light skinned. Did a shared history between light and dark skinned blacks (or would-be blacks) happen everywhere? No. So do blacks everywhere have the same definitions? No. But I don't see the contradiction of Africans who hold that view claiming AE. That part confuses me.

I think you have completely lost the plot. The oppression that African Americans faced in USA weren´t unique. The same shit happened all over the Americas, and in the African colonies before their "independence". Yet, we know who´s who, but you people, do not. It doesn´t make any sense whatsoever. It´s gotten so bad that you don´t really know how to identify one another based on ones looks. Guys like Rachel Dolezal & Rock Newman have been able to "pass" as black without anyone noticing (the whole idea of "passing" is ludicrous in and of itself) . It´s laughable.
Posts: 117 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com