EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Coronavirus leaves 56 MILLION on lockdown (Jan 25 + updates) (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Coronavirus leaves 56 MILLION on lockdown (Jan 25 + updates)
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:

~25,000 people recovered and ~10,000 have died, that's 28%, and this is of 250,000 active cases, which will grow and can possibly get worse.[/i]"

Resolved cases 35,000
Deaths 10,000
% of deaths of resolved cases 28%

The math here is still not clearly stated to me step by step so I can see how this makes sense
Are you trolling me?
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

New coronavirus outbreak in northern China puts city of 11 million on lockdown

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/new-coronavirus-outbreak-northern-china-21912009

A student who had tested negative for coronavirus and had gone through a 14-day quarantine returned to the city or Harbin where the deadly bug was contracted by 70 people

A 22-year-old student surnamed Han had returned to China from New York last month.

She had gone through a 14-day quarantine and showed no symptoms of the bug.

Harbin health authorities say she was a "silent carrier" of the virus.

Unaware, she went on to infect her neighbours who then hosted a gathering.

will this disaster never end !!

This is what will probably happen in the U.S.

off, on, off, on

and when they re-open places are people going on mass into a stadium or movie theater and revitalize business?

Many will be scared to unless they can develop on onsite instant test for entry

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday marked the deadliest day for coronavirus in California with at least 115 deaths, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced in his daily update on the status of Covid-19 in the state.
"“This disease killed more people in the state of California in the last 24 hours than in any previous 24 hours,” Newsom said."

The governor noted some small glimmers of hope, with the numbers of hospitalized people and intensive care unit patients showing slight decreases.

“We are seeing some stabilization of that curve,” the governor said, but he cautioned that “we aren’t out of the woods yet.”

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in California has climbed to more than 37,000.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California congresswoman says her sister is dying of coronavirus

-

quote:

Rep. Maxine Waters, a California Democrat and chairwoman of the House Financial Services Committee, said Thursday that her sister is dying of coronavirus in a hospital in St Louis, Missouri.

"I'm going to take a moment to dedicate this legislation to my dear sister who is dying in a hospital in St. Louis, Missouri right now, infected by the coronavirus," Waters said on the House floor ahead of a vote on a relief package.

While speaking, Waters lowered her face mask to be heard, one of multiple lawmakers seen wearing face masks today.

About the bill: Waters was speaking in support of the already passed Paycheck Protection Program and the pending Health Care Enhancement Act, which is expected to pass a House vote on Thursday.

President Trump has publicly supported the bill, indicating he will sign it when it reaches the Oval Office. This legislation would provide $370 billion in funding for small business loans and $100 billion for hospitals and additional coronavirus testing.

Waters is not the only member of Congress who has personally experienced the pain of the virus. This morning, Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts shared that her brother passed away after testing positive for coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-04-23-20/index.html
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Coronavirus updates

Europe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXVhC1h2ls

India
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKL_MCtRFl0

Dr. Fauchi -We Will have Corona Virus in the Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwuMH8OlVM

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
‘I’m Just Living a Nightmare’: Oil Industry Braces for Devastation

quote:
Across the United States, companies are laying off workers, shutting down wells and preparing for a prolonged slump as oil prices tumble.

HOUSTON — Workers at Marathon Petroleum’s refinery in Gallup, N.M., are turning off the valves. Oil companies in West Texas are paying early termination fees to contract employees rather than drill new wells. And in Montana, producers are shutting down wells and slashing salaries and benefits.

Just a few months ago, the American oil industry was triumphant in its quest for energy independence, having turned the United States into the world’s biggest petroleum producer for the first time in decades. But that exhilaration has given way to despair as the coronavirus has kneecapped the economy, destroying demand for gasoline, diesel and jet fuel as cars sit parked in driveways and planes are consigned to remote fields and runways.

The oil industry has lived through many booms and busts, but never before have prices collapsed as they have this week. On Monday, one closely watched price fell below zero, meaning some traders had to pay others to take crude oil off their hands. That price — for May delivery — recovered on Tuesday, but not nearly to levels where oil companies can make a profit. At the same time, the price of oil for June delivery fell by about half to roughly $10 a barrel.

“I’m just living a nightmare,” said Ben Sheppard, president of the Permian Basin Petroleum Association, which represents companies in the area of Texas and New Mexico that became the world’s most productive oil field last year.

In Midland, Texas, the epicenter of the oil shale boom over the last decade, parking lots at companies like Chevron, Diamondback and Apache are empty aside from a scattering of pumping trucks. Executives are working from home, huddling with their colleagues and board members to decide how quickly to shut down production and lay off workers. Oil giants like Exxon Mobil have slashed their 2020 exploration and production budgets by nearly a third, and that was before the total oil price collapse at the start of this week.

Many smaller oil companies are expected to seek bankruptcy protection in the coming months after having spent years borrowing billions of dollars to extract and move crude. Production companies have $86 billion in debt coming due between 2020 and 2024, and pipeline companies have an additional $123 billion they have to repay or refinance over the same period, according to Moody’s Investors Service.

“We are worried that the current disorderly market has adversely damaged the industry,” said Ben Luckock, co-head of oil trading at Trafigura, a large exporter of American crude. “In the short term some form of government assistance is likely needed because the price levels we are currently transacting at are unsustainable for U.S. producers.”

The reverberations to other industries could be significant. A decade or two ago, low oil prices would serve to bolster the American economy by reducing energy costs. But the oil industry has become so big and important — it directly and indirectly employs 10 million people — that its problems will deal a blow to many kinds of businesses, including manufacturers that build its equipment, steel companies that make its pipes and banks and hedge funds that lend it money.

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

President Trump has said that he stands ready to help U.S. oil and gas businesses, a position he reiterated on Tuesday. But the policies he and other administration officials have proposed — imposing tariffs on foreign oil or filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve — would do so little that their impact would amount to a rounding error.

Simply put, the global oil industry is producing vastly more oil than the world needs — about 30 million barrels a day too much. Even if the federal government started buying oil for the reserve immediately, it could absorb only half a million barrels a day, or less than 2 percent of the excess world production.

Some industry executives had pinned their hopes on the Texas Railroad Commission, asking it to exercise a power it has not used since 1973 to force oil companies in the state to cut production. But the commission, which regulates the industry there, declined to do so at a meeting held by videoconference on Tuesday, with two of its three commissioners saying that they needed more legal advice before making a decision.

All the while, the glut of oil keeps growing. And refineries, storage tank hubs and pipelines are quickly filling to the brim, while ocean tankers carrying as much as 300 million barrels of oil are floating or sailing figure-eights waiting for buyers.

The tanker operators, who can make more than $100,000 a day for spot charters of their ships, may be the only ones making money right now.

Mr. Trump’s biggest service to the industry was to help push Saudi Arabia, Russia and other producers to reach a deal on April 12 to cut 9.7 million barrels of daily oil output. But oil prices fell sharply after that agreement as traders realized its inadequacy. It also doesn’t help that the pact won’t even go into effect until May 1.

With 73 employees, Texland Petroleum, a producer in the Permian Basin that has 1,211 wells, is typical of hundreds of independent companies that represent the backbone of the industry, especially in rural areas of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and North Dakota. In business since 1973, it has survived several downturns but always managed to sell its oil at prices that allowed it to at least break even.

That is not true anymore. At least four customers have canceled purchases in recent days. One customer canceled contracts effective May 1 for 2,000 barrels a day, nearly 30 percent of the company’s output.

“It’s a sad time for our business, that’s for damn sure,” said Jim Wilkes, president of Texland. “The future is very cloudy right now because the pricing is below our production costs.”

Mr. Wilkes has decided to shut all production and end all sales on May 1. Shutting wells is an expensive, laborious process, he explained, with workers obliged to treat well casings with chemicals so they do not corrode once oil stops flowing. And there is no guarantee that a shuttered well can be restarted and be made to pump out as much oil as it did earlier.

Mr. Wilkes said he was not planning to fire anyone, at least not now, because he took a Small Business Administration loan to pay his workers for two months, at which point the loan will be forgiven. But he is not sure what he will do after that.

“April is going to be terrible, but May is going to be impossible,” he said.

Montalban Oil & Gas Operations, a company with 200 wells in Montana, is planning to shut all of its wells in 10 days when its executives expect to run out of storage space. It has slashed its payroll by 25 percent, and its president, Patrick Montalban, and other senior executives have taken a 50 percent pay cut.

Aside from worrying about the future, Mr. Montalban said he had been stocking up on $6 bottles of chardonnay, his drink of choice.

“It’s a bloodbath out there; can you imagine minus $37 a barrel?” he said, referring to the price oil fell to on Monday. “There is something wrong with that market. It’s ridiculous.”

Oil companies generally employ service companies to do their drilling and fracking, and so the downturn is particularly painful for those businesses — Halliburton, Baker Hughes and Schlumberger. Service companies have slashed payrolls and budgets in recent weeks, as have the thousands of smaller contractors that take care of things like cleaning spills, seismic testing and supplying trucks.

Offshore drillers, which had done a brisk business over the last three years, have gone into a tailspin, with delays in investment decisions and canceled rig contracts. Diamond Offshore missed an interest payment on its debts last week and has hired legal and financial advisers for a potential restructuring.

Latshaw Drilling, a company active in Texas and Oklahoma, has laid off 300 of its 500 employees over the last six weeks. It is operating six of its 41 rigs and dropping an additional rig next week. Trent Latshaw, the company president, said he was confident the industry would eventually come back after the virus is tamed.

“If for some reason Latshaw Drilling doesn’t make it through this,” Mr. Latshaw said, “the good Lord has something else planned for me.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/business/energy-environment/coronavirus-oil-prices-collapse.html
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to New York... record your way through any hospital of your choice. Prove the world wrong. Don't wear a mask neither.

...Cuz clearly I can't trust my peoples nor my own knowledge and background in this field.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Lioness can you please edit any future conspiracy posts in this thread, they have a thread for debating that stuff...Thank you
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll Passes 50,000

quote:
The official number of people in the United States killed by COVID-19 has reached 50,000, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. death and confirmed cases totals are far higher than any other country.

More than 190,000 people have died from the coronavirus globally, and case totals have reached over 2.7 million.

Within the U.S., the pandemic has hit hardest in the state of New York. The New York City boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx have all seen more than 2,000 residents die from COVID-19 complications. New York state officials said Thursday that preliminary results suggest a fifth of all New York City residents have been infected with the coronavirus.

In total, the U.S. has more than three times as many confirmed cases of the virus than any other country. European countries such as Spain, Italy, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom have also been hit hard by the pandemic. Nearly all of those countries have experienced a higher number of deaths per capita than the U.S., according to the data from Johns Hopkins.

Other hot spots in the U.S. include New Jersey, Massachusetts, and the area surrounding Detroit, Michigan. Data suggests that the virus is disproportionately hitting black and Latinx communities.

State responses to the coronavirus have varied. Most states have issued stay-at-home orders, though some plan to reopen nonessential businesses soon, citing concerns over a flagging economy. In a controversial move, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp reopened many businesses Friday.

Many public health experts have criticized the U.S. response to the virus' spread as too slow, and note that the nation's testing capacity still needs to be increased.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/24/844039508/u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-passes-50-000
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
2020 could see a doubling of malaria deaths in sub-Saharan Africa compared to 2018

23 April 2020

quote:
A modelling analysis released today considered scenarios for potential disruptions in access to core malaria control tools during the COVID-19 pandemic in 41 countries.

Under the worst-case scenario, in which all insecticide-treated net (ITN) campaigns are suspended and there is a 75% reduction in access to effective antimalarial medicines, the estimated tally of malaria deaths in sub-Saharan Africa in 2020 would reach 769 000, twice the number of deaths reported in the region in 2018. This would represent a return to malaria mortality levels last seen 20 years ago.

Countries across the region have a critical window of opportunity to minimize disruptions in malaria prevention and treatment and save lives at this stage of the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
2020 could see a doubling of malaria deaths in sub-Saharan Africa compared to 2018

23 April 2020

quote:
A modelling analysis released today considered scenarios for potential disruptions in access to core malaria control tools during the COVID-19 pandemic in 41 countries.

Under the worst-case scenario, in which all insecticide-treated net (ITN) campaigns are suspended and there is a 75% reduction in access to effective antimalarial medicines, the estimated tally of malaria deaths in sub-Saharan Africa in 2020 would reach 769 000, twice the number of deaths reported in the region in 2018. This would represent a return to malaria mortality levels last seen 20 years ago.

Countries across the region have a critical window of opportunity to minimize disruptions in malaria prevention and treatment and save lives at this stage of the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen
On what is this based, and what has malaria to do with COVID-19?

What is this "modeling analysis"?

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
One what is this based, and what has this to do with COVID-19?
I mean did you even read it? [Roll Eyes]
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Here are Friday's developments

From CNN's Eliza Mackintosh

quote:
Undeterred by a barrage of criticism, the US state of Georgia is moving ahead with its plan to help restart its economy, reopening some nonessential businesses today. Gov. Brian Kemp is one of America's first governors to ease restrictions, allowing gyms, barber shops, hair salons, tattoo parlors, massage therapists and bowling alleys to resume work, so long as they comply with social distancing guidelines.

But maintaining a safe distance in many of those businesses is next to impossible, leaving owners feeling conflicted, Faith Karimi writes. "Get your hair done for what? There's a pandemic, people are dying," one hair stylist said.

The House of Representatives approved a $480 billion package yesterday to help refresh a dwindling small-businesses loan program, as another 4.4 million people filed for unemployment. The coronavirus has put a staggering 26 million Americans out of work since mid-March.

But the aid did not include money for state governments to help keep workers on their payrolls — assistance that a bipartisan group of governors and mayors have been begging for from Washington.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell drew the ire of governors for suggesting that "blue states" hit hard by the outbreak seek bankruptcy protections rather than be given a federal bailout. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the remark from the Kentucky Republican was reckless and that the pandemic was no time for divisive politics: "It’s not red and blue. It’s red, white and blue."

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Researchers clone antibodies from recovered coronavirus patients, with hope for a future treatment

From CNN Health’s Arman Azad

quote:
Researchers in China say they have successfully cloned antibodies from recovered coronavirus patients, a potential first step in developing a new type of treatment for the virus.

In test tubes, the antibodies prevented the binding of the novel coronavirus to its receptor, according to the researchers. Antibodies that block that step – which is critical for infection – could one day be a promising treatment for the virus.

But it’s not clear whether blocking the binding of the virus in a lab means the antibodies could prevent infection in real humans.

The researchers published their findings Monday in the medical journal Cellular and Molecular Immunology. They cloned two different antibodies – called 311mab-31B5 and 311mab-32D4 – and said the antibodies “neutralized” the entry of a fake coronavirus into cells.

The antibodies could one day be used as “prophylactic and therapeutic agents,” the researchers said, suggesting they could one day be used to both prevent and treat Covid-19.

Using cloned antibodies to treat diseases is not a new concept. The approach has been used to develop experimental treatments for Ebola, using antibodies from animals or people exposed to the virus.

The underlying idea – that antibodies can be used as a treatment – is also being tested in trials of so-called convalescent plasma. That treatment is somewhat different, though, with people who have recovered from the novel coronavirus giving their antibody-filled blood plasma to those who are sick.

It remains unclear whether cloned antibodies – such as those developed by the Chinese researchers – could be a successful treatment for the novel coronavirus, and this new research is in its earliest stages.

The approach may hold promise, though. In 2018, the top US infectious disease specialist, Anthony Fauci, wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine that “effective antibodies have become easier to identify, select, optimize, and manufacture.”

Writing alongside other experts, Fauci said the treatments, technically called monoclonal antibodies, “are positioned to play a larger role in future public health responses involving the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of [emerging infectious diseases].”

But the antibodies come with a downside: they’re incredibly expensive. As Fauci wrote, “pragmatic concerns must be addressed – notably cost.”

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I mean did you even read it?
Yes, that is why I am asking because it sounds stupid as hell. And I am sure that neither you know what their hypothetical model is.

I have downloaded the report as well. I will read it later. The WHO never had any concern for Africa. And the COVID-19 cases are low in SA. It only started to increase after foreigners entered Africa.

African nations are now developing their own gloves, masks and ventilators.

These people never gave a damn about Africa, so I don't understand all this fake concern.

If they are that concerned, why don't they respond towards the colonial tax corruption France is leeching off of African nations.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Ok so you disagree with the WHO predictions...

-

Why are you getting worked up? bringing Colonial Politics up against the WHO...

Foreigners brought the covid into majority of countries...so??

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Geber:
quote:
quote:
I mean did you even read it? [Roll Eyes]
Yes, that is why I am asking because it sounds stupid as hell. lol

I have downloaded the report as well. I will read it later. The WHO never had any concern for Africa. And the COVID-19 cases are low in SA. It only started to increase after foreigners entered Africa.

African nations are now developing their own gloves, masks and ventilators.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Ok so you disagree with the WHO predictions...

….
Why are you getting worked up? bringing Colonial Politics up against the WHO...

Foreigners brought the covid into majority of countries...so??

Jari, I read the paper and it's based on 9 scenarios.

Bill Gates is obsessed with vaccinations and population reduction. Especially in Africa. He has fake outrage. His father was the head of Planned Parenthood. Helping to reduce the Black population in the US. Planned Parenthood was found by eugenicist Margaret Sanger. Margaret Sanger and Melinda Gates parents and grandparents had close relations.

quote:
"We thank Jennifer Gardy, Phillip Welkhoff and Bruno Moonen from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for rapidly convening the various modelling groups to support this analysis."

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/331845/9789240004641-eng.pdf?ua=1

The problem is not that Africa can't deal with a pandemic or outbreak, the problem is that African nations are stuck on the colonial tax by Britain and France.

If Bill Gates was truly that concerned with Africa he would have spoken out against France and Britain. Since it's economic development that can and will help prevent certain causes to spread and stabilize healthcare.

The irony becomes that France has a free healthcare system. And two France doctors wanted to test a "vaccine" on African people, while France has many cases to go test on. They have more than all of Africa combined.

Why are some West African nations trying to move their reserves from France’s central bank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDl6_uatABA&feature=emb_title

quote:
"Imagine being forced to invest all of your money in French stocks in exchange for having the euro as your base currency. That is the predicament many countries in sub-Saharan Africa are now trying to escape."
Source: Wall Street Journal
It Is Time for African Countries to Shed Monetary Colonialism
https://www.wsj.com/articles/it-is-time-for-african-countries-to-shed-monetary-colonialism-11574256243

quote:
"It’s such an evil system even denounced by the European Union, but France is not ready to move from that colonial system which puts about 500 billions dollars from Africa to its treasury year in year out."
France/Afrique : 14 African Countries Forced by France to Pay Colonial Tax For the Benefits of Slavery and Colonization
https://blogs.mediapart.fr/jecmaus/blog/300114/franceafrique-14-african-countries-forced-france-pay-colonial-tax-benefits-slavery-and-colonization

quote:

-

"We all agree on this, unanimously, to end this model," Benin’s President Patrice Talon told French media last Thursday.

He claimed that Paris has also agreed to release their reserves, which will now be vested with the Senegal-based Central Bank of West African States.

The CFA, which was specially created in 1945 for the French colonies of Africa, is linked to the euro and its convertibility is guaranteed by France.

According to the arrangement, described by analysts as a colonial relic, these African countries, had to deposit half of their foreign currency reserves, in the French central bank."

Source: Anadolu Agency
8 African nations to withdraw cash reserves from France
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/8-african-nations-to-withdraw-cash-reserves-from-france/1646104

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
The good thing here is that it has spiked ingenuity in Africa like never before (within the last few hundred years.). African companies are now making African making ventilators, hand sanitizers, face masks, etc. on an industrial level and produce tens of thousands each day.

KU students develop ventilator prototype in fight against Coronavirus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88a5vCgD25U

quote:
16 Genius Student's Solving Kenya's Ventilator Crisis

-

https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/51942-16-genius-students-solving-kenyas-ventilator-crisis-video

quote:
Innovative Duo Makes Local Ventilator in Record 4 Days
https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/51592-innovative-duo-makes-local-ventilator-record-4-days

quote:
South Africa is working on producing 10,000 ventilators by the end of June

Currently, the country has about 4,000 ventilators in its private hospitals and 2,000 in public ones. The National Ventilator Project plans to produce 1,500 ventilators by the end of May, and 10,000 by the end of June.

https://qz.com/africa/1835025/south-africa-producing-10000-ventilators-for-covid-19-by-june/

quote:
 -

The Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON) has gone into the production of essential and life-saving equipment as part of the contribution of the Armed Forces to the national effort against the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/covid-19-dicon-manufactures-ventilators-ppes-hand-sanitisers/

quote:
COVID-19: Nigerian military begins mass production of ventilators,
PPE kits

He added that with request of the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, DICON produced over 1500 dozens of DICSanz, a high-quality hand sanitizer for supply to troops of the Nigerian Army. He said the product is at the last stage of NAFDAC registration in line with extant due diligence provisions.

[…]

Victor Ezugwu, head DICON assured that the industry has the capacity to produce thousands of these PPEs within a short period and at least 100 ventilators in a month.

Ezugwu added that the industry is not entirely profit oriented, hence the essential and life-saving equipment can be acquired at affordable rates. He said the PPE kit costs N8,000 and hand sanitisers go for as low as N400.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/covid-19-nigerian-military-begins-mass-production-of-ventilators-ppe-kits/

quote:
COVID-19 News: Tech Companies Work to Solve the Ventilator Shortage in Nigeria

LifeBank founder, Temie Giwa-Tubosun says that they had found 126 units, possibly comprising all three equipment categories as the company had reached 200 hospitals across the country.

Now, two days after reaching 500 of 700 contacted hospitals, LifeBank has been able to register the availability of 244 units of equipment owned by the private sector – from this, it is confirmed that Nigeria has just under 100 ventilators that have been confirmed available in private-owned health facilities.

The majority of these ventilators are concentrated in Lagos, while the rest can be found in Abuja, Ogun, Delta, Rivers, and the Enugu states.

[…]

Taking into account these statistics, the horizon looks grim indeed for Africa’s most populous country. Luckily, a few technology companies have sprung to the government’s aid.

One of these companies is Africa Business Angel Network, which is in the process of manufacturing more ventilators from a prototype model it had received through the possible aid of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI).

https://www.itnewsafrica.com/2020/04/covid-19-news-tech-companies-work-to-solve-the-ventilator-shortage-in-nigeria/

quote:
COVID-19: Cameroon engineers develop ventilator prototype
https://www.africanews.com/2020/04/17/covid-19-cameroon-engineers-develop-ventilator-prototype/

quote:
Professor Fred McBagonluri, the President of Academic City University College working with 13 others, have developed a baseline prototype of a mechanical ventilator to support the national and global efforts towards eradicating COVID-19 pandemic.
https://newsghana.com.gh/ghanas-locally-made-mechanical-ventilator-needs-support/

quote:
Ghana makes big progress in COVID-19 fight as KNUST outdoors home-made ventilator
https://www.pulse.com.gh/news/local/ghana-makes-big-progress-in-covid-19-fight-as-knust-outdoors-home-made-ventilator/dpw2rt5

Etcetera.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Kenya as of now has 336 infected people, 95 recovered and 14 people who have died. Britain has 105,225 infected people, 0 recoveries, and 17,372 people who have died as of now.

Still these foreign bigots try to tell that Africans need to be pumped in with their trail vaccines.

Babble box Fergus Walsh also stated that this team has done an excellent job the last 30 years, in creating vaccines against malaria. lol Ok, Fergus Walsh.

Coronavirus vaccine: first human trial in Europe begins at Oxford - BBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gerQpTFIndI

quote:
The Oxford team is also working with researchers in Kenya about a possible vaccine trial there, where the rates of transmission are growing from a lower base.

[…]

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

Is it safe?

The trial volunteers will be carefully monitored in the coming months. They have been told that some may get a sore arm, headaches or fevers in the first couple of days after vaccination.

They are also told there is a theoretical risk that the virus could induce a serious reaction to coronavirus, which arose in some early Sars animal vaccine studies.

But the Oxford team says its data suggests the risk of the vaccine producing an enhanced disease is minimal, and data from animal studies has been positive.

Scientists there hope to have one million doses ready by September, and to dramatically scale up manufacturing after that, should the vaccine prove effective.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485

Kenya's response.

quote:
Govt rejects UK scientists’ bid to test Covid-19 vaccine in Kenya

Kenya says it has not granted permission to Oxford University scientists in the United Kingdom to conduct human trials of a coronavirus vaccine on its citizens.

BBC reported that a British scientist had picked the country to start its tests of Covid-19 trials in Kenya if tests in UK don’t get the expected results.

https://nairobinews.nation.co.ke/editors-picks/govt-rejects-uk-scientists-bid-to-test-covid-19-vaccine-in-kenya

The obsession with Africa to have Africans vaccinated is astonishing.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Im not here to defend Bill Gates, but really what good would Him as an American do talking about a Colonial tax [Roll Eyes]

He seems to be very obsessed with Africa, vaccines and population reduction in Africa.

From my understanding Bill Gates is no doctor, but I could be wrong. Perhaps you know more about him? What good would Him as an American do that to vaccinate and depopulate Africans?
[Roll Eyes]

The problem is colonial taxes! If African nations can invest 500 billion each year in their own development there is no and will be no need for a Bill Gates fake outrage and vaccines. [Roll Eyes] Instead of trying to push his vaccines on Africans, he should invest time in protesting France hideous acts. He has the connections after all. [Roll Eyes]

-

-

-

This leeching off of African nations has been done so long, it runs in the tens of trillions.

It's basic math. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Center for Global Development publishes an analysis of the future of development finance

In a recently published ‘Working Paper 250’, posted online by the Center for Global Development (which conducts independent research and develops practical ideas for global prosperity), it has been stressed that development finance is currently “at a turning point.” The report mentions a “triple revolution of goals, actors and tools.” The report predicts that “...as much of Asia grows its way out of poverty, aid will increasingly be focused on Africa and on countries plagued by instability, or with governments unable to meet the basic needs of their populations.” Also, the share of development finance directed to tackling global public goods – like climate change, conflict prevention, and public health – is likely to expand substantially. The authors predict that the responsibility for addressing global challenges will increasingly be borne by coalitions that cut across States, the private sector and civil society. It sees the role of multilaterals (such as WHO, GAVI, Global Fund, UNICEF, UNAIDS and the World Bank) as focused on providing a coordinated mechanism/platform for delivering common objectives.

World Bank identifies five poor African states as potential “Growth Poles”

Africa is lagging behind the rest of the world in most economic and health indicators. However, this presents the continent with a remarkable opportunity for growth and development over the coming decades, at the rate which could hardly be expected anywhere else, according to the World Bank. Its new strategy for the continent aims to leverage growing South-South investments, which have recently been initiated by the growing low and middle income economies like China, India, Brazil and South Africa. The World Bank would like to ensure more inclusive development. To foster this development strategy, the World Bank suggested five poor states as ‘Growth Poles’ of the new Africa. These poles are being planned in Madagascar, Cameroon, Mozambique, The Gambia and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

~J Glob Health. 2011 Jun; 1(1): 12–19
Bill Gates calls for prioritizing vaccines at the 64th World Health Assembly
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3484749/

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
In continuation of the post above.

Declassified/Released on 7/3/89

National Security Study Memorandum NSSM 200
Implications of Worldwide Population Growth For U.S. Security and Overseas Interests (THE KISSINGER REPORT)
December 10, 1974

https://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/Pcaab500.pdf

He's not complaining about Asian populations.

quote:

• Prince William, 35, made speech at Tusk gala dinner in London last night
  • Warned Africa's growing population set to more than double by 2050
  • Duke is hugely concerned about impact on wildlife and natural resources
  • William and Kate are set to welcome their third child in April 2018

Duke of Cambridge insists there are too many people in the world in a passionate speech about population growth

'Africa's rapidly growing human population is predicted to more than double by 2050, a staggering increase of three and a half million people per month.

-
The Prince warned that soaring populations is having a devastating impact on Africa's wildlife

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5046845/Prince-William-warns-s-people-world.html

The irony:

quote:
Prince William criticised for claiming trophy hunting can be justified

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/prince-william-criticised-for-claiming-trophy-hunting-is-justified-in-some-circumstances-a6933906.html
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
new thread for this please
Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

It’s somehow derailed, but has indirectly to do with the topic.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Tens of thousands of Californians escape their homes to open beaches during a heatwave despite Gov. Newsom's pleas for them to stay home as state reached 40,000 cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8255763/Thousands-Californians-flock-open-beaches-despite-Gov-Newsoms-pleas-stay-home.html

lots of pictures here
will see if Trumps sunlight theory works

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw on the news. "I did not do a fact check".

But 90% of the cases are in NY and NJ. Which is really odd. California is the most populous State and has less than 1000 deaths in a pop of 40 million people.

Again I did not Fact Check which I usual do.

The point of my post is someone need to investigate the disproportionate deaths and infection between NY/NJ vs California.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:

But 90% of the cases are in NY and NJ. Which is really odd. California is the most populous State and has less than 1000 deaths in a pop of 40 million people.

The point of my post is someone need to investigate the disproportionate deaths and infection between NY/NJ vs California.

The geographic, architecture and living space in NY and NJ is different from California. Especially for Black communities.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/04/25/03/27626996-8255763-image-a-70_1587781271676.jpg

Tens of thousands of Californians escape their homes to open beaches during a heatwave despite Gov. Newsom's pleas for them to stay home as state reached 40,000 cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8255763/Thousands-Californians-flock-open-beaches-despite-Gov-Newsoms-pleas-stay-home.html

lots of pictures here
will see if Trumps sunlight theory works

Time will tell, when we see a spike. New cases keep coming in (worldwide). This means that these people who keep coming in, already have infected other as well and so on....
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:

The first U.S. case of the new virus was also reported on January 20, in an American citizen traveling from Wuhan, China, to his home in Washington state. Two more cases in L.A. were confirmed on January 26, similarly by two people who had returned from Wuhan.

There is more timeline if you scroll down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_United_States

if you look at any city in wikipedia in the information box on the right is the population density. New York has the highest by far.
New York also has 6 times the cases than California has. They both have China towns although the first recorded case was a woman who returned from Iran.
They are also highly cosmopolitan with a high rate of international tourism. They also have an extensive subway system and people get around on the subway more than in other places and subway cars are often packed.
Density + international travel

New York 282,143
New Jersey 105,523
Massachusetts 53,348
California 42,626

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

New Jersey and Massachusetts are merely adjacent to New York

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
ABC News
2 Doctors in California say the lock downs are going on too long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLVxx_lBLU

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - governors of 7 "adjacent" northeast states including RI MA CT NY NJ PA & DE are a coalition re COVID19 policies.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/massachusetts-joins-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut-pennsylvania-delaware-and-rhode-islands

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/governors-announce-appointees-for-multi-state-council-to-get-people-back-to-work-restore-economy/2380778/

2 - that California perspective 23ABC short take

https://www.turnto23.com/news/coronavirus/accelerated-urgent-care-doctors-recommend-lifting-shelter-in-place-order

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/africa/coronavirus-famine-un-warning-intl/index.html

Coronavirus pandemic will cause global famines of 'biblical proportions,' UN warns
By Rob Picheta, CNN

London (CNN)The world is facing multiple famines of "biblical proportions" in just a matter of months, the UN has said, warning that the coronavirus pandemic will push an additional 130 million people to the brink of starvation.

Famines could take hold in "about three dozen countries" in a worst-case scenario, the executive director of the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a stark address on Tuesday. Ten of those countries already have more than 1 million people on the verge of starvation, he said.

Ten countries were singled out as particularly at-risk, after housing the worst food crises last year;
Yemen, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Nigeria and Haiti.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
“There is no R0 – there is an R0 in a population,” Elizabeth Halloran, a biostatistician at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and University of Washington, told Business Insider. A recent CDC study found that the coronavirus’s R0 was as high as 5.7 in the early days of its Wuhan outbreak.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-contagious-r-naught-average-patient-spread-2020-3?op=1
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Are we allowed to post related politics like job losses due to the Coronavirus outbreaks?

quote:
With meat-processing plants across the country shuttering due to the coronavirus pandemic, pork producers are asking the Trump administration to consider buying large quantities of meat, and other livestock farmers are seeking answers about the kind of support they can expect to receive from the latest stimulus bill.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/pork-beef-coronavirus/index.html

quote:
Meat processing plants across the US are closing due to the pandemic. Will consumers feel the impact?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/26/business/meat-processing-plants-coronavirus/index.html

quote:
CDC issues recommendations for closed South Dakota Smithfield plant following coronavirus outbreak

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued more than 100 recommendations to the Smithfield Foods pork-processing plant on Thursday, as the facility works to reopen following a coronavirus outbreak.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/us/cdc-report-smithfield-plant-south-dakota/index.html

quote:
Workers, officials say too little too late after Tyson closes Waterloo pork plant: 'All they talked about was production'

(CNN) — After more than a week of public pressure, Tyson announced Wednesday morning it will "indefinitely suspend operations" at its Waterloo, Iowa, pork processing plant that employs 2,800 people. However, workers and some officials say the halt comes too late.

Almost half of Black Hawk County, Iowa's Covid-19 cases are connected to the plant, according to the county health department. As of Tuesday, there were 182 cases linked to the plant. Wednesday, the county reported 379 total cases.

In a statement, Tyson told CNN the plant, which is the company's largest pork plant, had already "been running at reduced levels of production due to worker absenteeism."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/us/tyson-waterloo-iowa-plant-employees-coronavirus/index.html
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
yes
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Known U.S. Deaths Top 56,000 as New Study Shows True Number Likely Much Higher

The U.S. death toll from the COVID-19 outbreak has topped 56,000, but more evidence is emerging that the actual death toll may be far higher. A new study by a team at the Yale School of Public Health found there were over 15,000 excess deaths in the United States during the month of March and first days of April. The figure is nearly double what officials have been citing as the death toll from the pandemic during that period. Worldwide, the known death toll has topped 211,000, though the true number is also expected to be much higher.

Democracynow
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with this whole response is that none of it follows the procedures and guidelines put in place years ago. There are plenty of examples.

1) The first and most important step in any kind of "super deadly" pandemic outbreak is to identify those who have the virus. That is where quarantining and contact tracing is most effective. But if you don't have a ready made plan in place and execute it in a timely fashion then you have missed the boat. The USA knows this as they have the biggest research labs and institutions on the planet researching those things, yet they waited weeks and months to start testing.

2) By not properly finding and isolating those with the virus and doing proper testing, the virus was allowed to spread. Sending someone home who has had the virus, especially a "new" virus that science isn't familiar with, isn't effective. Those people should have been put in quarantine facilities up front and monitored. That is how you get more information on the virus and how you actually stop the spread.

3) Once the virus has started to spread in the general population quarantining and self isolation are pointless. The cat is out the bag and you are not going to stop nature from doing what it does. Viruses don't just disappear because you decided to stay in your house. And your house isn't a bio-containment facility that can keep viruses out anyway.....

4) So the next step after the virus is now spreading in the general population is to exercise emergency plans for critical infrastructure and supply chains. Part of that includes the appropriate level of PPE for key personnel. An M95 face mask is not seriously something first responders would be using in a serious biochemical emergency. That is not how they have been trained since 9/11. But they decided to pretend that all that training was forgotten and focused on N95 masks.....

5)The NIH has numerous papers on this.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7121518/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456839/

A PAPR is a proper device for serious biomedical emergencies.....

6) The NIH is the agency responsible for providing guidance, policies and training for these kinds of things across the entire biomedical community. In addition to providing a clearing house for biomedical science research and funding. "social distancing" is not the primary means of addressing a virus outbreak. Protecting first responders with the appropriate gear (see above), identifying critical services and infrastructure, bolstering supply chains and other measures are the most important aspects of disaster/biological emergency response.

7) Since they never rolled out widespread testing facilities, anything else they do is pointless. If you don't know who has it and doesn't have it, then you have to assume everyone has it, which is what social-distancing by itself is based on. If you don't have organized quarantine facilities then you are allowing the disease to spread unchecked, again especially without widespread testing. Testing, proper training and equipment for first responders, proper coordination at all levels of various agencies, bolstering supply chains, identifying critical infrastructure, quarantine facilities and some level of social distancing are supposed to work together as a way of keeping society functioning during an epidemic. Just "shutting everything down" doesn't work. Because if this was a truly deadly virus that would mean that your supermarkets, gas stations, walmart, Amazon fulfillment centers, etc, would also be closed. And what would happen then?

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqKBNQzEROc

Senegal's $1 COVID-19 test kit and the race for a vaccine + In U.S., HIV drug in clinical trails for COVID-19

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Bolsonaro of Brazil, maniac

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazil-letting-coronavirus-run-wild-215148153.html

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Elon Musk, getting a little nutty

LINK

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
When will US reach 100,000 deaths? After a horrific April, grim milestone could hit in May

quote:
In light of a horrific April that saw close to 60,000 Americans lose their lives because of the coronavirus, bringing the national total to more than 63,000, it’s fair to ponder whether the U.S. will reach 100,000 deaths.

Researchers are hard at work trying to come up with an answer and there’s no clear consensus, but one telling fact stands out: The number of deaths the U.S. endured in April is larger than the combined total during the entire pandemic for the next two countries on the list, Italy and Great Britain (54,738). In fairness, their population represents about 40% of the USA's.

How much worse will it get in the U.S.? At one point, White House officials projected 100,000 to 240,000 deaths, even with social distancing restrictions. Then, they lowered the expected figure considerably.

But that position might be shifting. The Trump administration is now projecting that the number of coronavirus deaths will increase to about 3,000 each day by early June, according to a New York Times report Monday that the White House has disputed.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and outlined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, predict about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of May, a major increase from about 25,000 cases now, the Times reported.

The actual numbers will depend in part on the public response to measures implemented throughout the country, which are starting to get relaxed because of the heavy toll they’ve taken on the economy. At least 30 states reopened in one form or another by last weekend.

Coronavirus live updates:Trump to leave White House for first time in a month; airlines require masks

Through Monday morning, the widely cited COVID-19 model from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), often used as a reference during White House media briefings, projected 72,433 deaths by Aug. 4, though with a maximum range up to 114,228.

That changed Monday afternoon, when the projection nearly doubled to 134,475 by that same date. The model had never forecast more than 93,000 deaths, but now estimates the U.S. will reach 100,000 by May 21.

The IHME said in a statement on its website that it has switched to a hybrid model. "This modeling approach involves estimating COVID-19 deaths and infections, as well as viral transmission, in multiple stages,'' the statement said.
Medical assistants wait to be handed testing kits at a drive-up coronavirus testing site in Seattle.

The IHME model has been accused of being overly optimistic. Others predict the nation will reach 100,000 deaths in the latter part of May. That’s the case for the model produced by the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which features detailed state-by-state information that includes one-week and six-week forecasts as well as situational updates.

Risky move:'They're playing Russian roulette': As states reopen amid coronavirus, experts warn of risks

Youyang Gu, a data scientist whose model is one of nine listed by the CDC website, concurs with the late-May estimate for reaching six figures. Gu’s COVID-19 Projections, which relies on data from Johns Hopkins University to forecast future deaths through a combination of artificial intelligence and a classic infectious-disease model, factors in the expected loosening of stay-at-home orders.

Gu foresees as many as 161,000 deaths from COVID-19 by Aug. 4, more than twice as many as the IHME, and trouble ahead for states reopening without knowing whether the virus has been contained.

“We believe this will cause the infection rate to increase in those states, leading to a ‘second wave,’’’ Gu said.

Scientists studying the virus’ impact generally agree the confirmed tally of cases – currently over 3.5 million worldwide and approaching 1.2 million in the U.S. – falls well short of the actual totals for a disease that can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers.

In addition, determining whether the death rate is on the rise or decline has been a difficult proposition. It can be argued that the peak of the virus hit on April 16, when the Johns Hopkins coronavirus database recorded 4,591 U.S. deaths in a single day. That peak occurred in the same week when New York City reclassified several thousand deaths as coronavirus related.

But the daily death figures have not been steadily declining since then.

Last week is an illustration of that. Tuesday's death toll was 1,378, but the next day the total shot back up to 2,096. And on Thursday, it increased again: 2,612 people died on that day.

Looking at the numbers through the prism of state death totals presents a worrisome picture of the past few weeks. New Jersey reported a new single-day fatality high of 460 deaths on Thursday. And Massachusetts added 1,000 new deaths in five days as the pandemic peaks in that state.

A number of states with the largest increases in COVID-19 cases in the past week have no statewide stay-at-home orders, such as Nebraska and Iowa, which reported a 70% and 86% increase, respectively, in new cases per 100,000 residents over the seven days ending on April 29, according to 24/7 Wall Street.

Where it has hit:US coronavirus map: Tracking the outbreak

It's also worth noting that death counts fail to take into consideration the number of people who may have perished for reasons indirectly related to COVID-19, such as those whose life-threatening conditions did not get treated because of the health crisis. Data released last week by the CDC indicates several thousand “excess deaths’’ not directly attributed to the coronavirus may be linked to it.

“This is clearly another important impact of the pandemic that should be influencing policy decisions,’’ said George Barbastathis, a professor of mechanical engineering at MIT who was the co-developer of the school’s model.

Neither that model – which accounts for infections but not deaths – nor the one developed by the University of Texas at Austin forecasts the day the U.S. may reach 100,000 deaths.

The latter, which relies on mobility and mortality data, aims for a narrower focus than others and won’t predict beyond three weeks ahead. By May 20, the UT model estimates the U.S. death toll at between 67,938 and 78,797.

School researchers are also among those keeping a close eye on developments as states loosen restrictions.

Lauren Ancel Meyers, a professor of integrative biology and statistics and data sciences who leads the university’s COVID-19 Modeling Consortium, said whether the pandemic resurges will hinge on several factors: the public’s efforts to limit contact and take precautions; the effectiveness of programs to test, contact-trace and isolate; and attempts to protect high-risk populations.

“If COVID-19 does start spreading more quickly, it will take several weeks before we see the impact in the mortality data,’’ Meyers said. “Since COVID-19 deaths typically occur several weeks after a person is infected, an increase in transmission around May 1 may not be apparent in the mortality data until the end of May.’’

For anyone thinking the worst was over in April, those are sobering words.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/01/coronavirus-us-may-hit-10000-deaths-record-cases-may/3062216001/
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Threat of Virus Is Not Fading, Infection Rates Show

quote:
Cases are growing by 2 to 4 percent daily, and more than 1,000 people have died each day for over a month. At least 15 children in New York were hospitalized with an illness scientists worry might be linked to Covid-19. Pfizer began human trials of a possible vaccine.

Right Now

The New York State death toll added more than 1,600 undisclosed deaths at nursing homes that were presumed to have been caused by the coronavirus.

Here’s what you need to know:

-The reality of the coronavirus in the U.S. is an unrelenting crush of cases and deaths.

-Trump is heading to Arizona for his first cross-country trip since the virus restrictions.

-It’s a surreal scene at the Capitol as the Senate returns for its first week of regular business.

-The special I.G. nominated to oversee a $500 billion fund vows to be impartial in combating misuse.

-The Trump administration is considering tax-cut proposals for next response bill.

-More than 1,600 previously undisclosed deaths were reported at nursing homes in N.Y.

-As schools weigh when to reopen, new research suggests children can transmit the virus to adults.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-updates.html
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Florida curtails reporting of coronavirus death numbers by county medical examiners

quote:
Florida health officials have halted the publication of up-to-the-minute death statistics related to the coronavirus pandemic that have, by law, been compiled by medical examiners in the state.

The death count compiled by the Medical Examiners Commission was often found to be higher than the figures provided by Florida’s Department of Health, the Tampa Bay Times reported, prompting a review of the data and a suspension of its publication.

State officials have not specified what they find objectionable about the medical examiners’ count, nor when they might allow it to be made public again, the Times said.

According to the state Department of Health, 34,728 people in Florida have tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and 1,337 people have died from it, as of Friday morning.

Dr. Stephen Nelson, chairman of the state Medical Examiners Commission, told the Tampa Bay Times that state officials informed him that they would remove the cause of death and a description of each case from statistics published by the examiners.

“This is no different than any other public record we deal with,” Nelson said. “It’s paid for by taxpayer dollars and the taxpayers have a right to know.”

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Wednesday that the state would begin lifting coronavirus restrictions for some businesses everywhere but Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties, which have been particularly hard hit by the virus.

“These counties have seen the lion’s share of the state’s epidemic,” DeSantis said, “but they are trending in a positive direction.”

The day before DeSantis’s order, Florida reported 83 deaths from COVID-19, the highest number to date. On Friday the state reported another 47 deaths and 1,038 new cases of COVID-19.

Fewer than 2 percent of Florida’s 21.5 million residents have been tested for the virus, the Miami Herald reported on Friday. Of residents who have been tested, 9 percent have come back positive for the virus, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Yahoo.news (link)
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
U.S. daily coronavirus death rate will more than double by June 1, draft government report projects

Covid-19 deaths in the United States will rise to more than 3,000 a day by June 1, with new confirmed cases surging to about 200,000 daily, a draft government report projects.

The predictions belie the projections made Sunday evening by President Trump, who said the U.S. could eventually suffer as many as 100,000 deaths. At 3,000 deaths per day and rising, the national total would quickly outstrip that number if the new report is correct.

Here are some significant developments:

-An array of states relaxed coronavirus-related restrictions, and U.S. senators returned to the Capitol on Monday as the country accelerated its fitful efforts to return to normalcy. Trump has cheered governors on reopening even as they ignore White House guidelines to do so.

-Officials from the World Health Organization said U.S. officials have not provided any evidence that supports theories about where the virus came from.

-Stocks dropped sharply to open the week as tensions grew between the United States and China over the origins of the outbreak. Meanwhile, the U.S. Treasury Department plans to borrow $3 trillion from April through June as enormous coronavirus costs pile up.

-The Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments by teleconference, a historic but modest step into the technological present.

-Italy emerged from the world’s longest covid-19 lockdown Monday, after an eight-week shutdown that took a sharp toll on the nation’s psyche.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/04/coronavirus-update-us/

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Britain’s death toll from the coronavirus rivals Italy’s

quote:
LONDON (AP) — Britain on Tuesday became the first country in Europe to confirm more than 30,000 coronavirus deaths, and infections rose sharply again in Russia, even as other nations made great strides in containing the scourge. China marked its third week with no new reported deaths, while South Korea restarted its baseball season.

In the U.S., some states took continued steps to lift the lockdown restrictions that have thrown millions out of work, even as the country recorded thousands of new infections and deaths every day.

Underscoring the stakes, New York state reported 1,700 more people died in nursing homes than it had previously counted.

President Donald Trump headed for Arizona to visit a Honeywell factory that makes respirator masks, in what could be a return to more regular travel for the president.

“The people of our country should think of themselves as warriors. Our country has to open,” Trump said before boarding Air Force One.

Britain appeared set to surpass Italy as Europe’s hardest-hit nation, even as the rate of deaths and hospitalization declined and the government prepared to take tentative steps out of lockdown.

The British government said about 28,700 people with COVID-19 had died in hospitals, nursing homes and other settings, while Italy reported close to 29,100 fatalities. Both figures are almost certainly underestimates because they include only people who tested positive, and testing was not widespread in Italian and British nursing homes until recently.

Yet official British statistics released Tuesday on people who died with suspected COVID-19 put the country’s toll at more than 30,000 as of April 24, or one-third higher than the government count at the time. A comparable figure for Italy was not available.

In Russia, the number of infections rose sharply again, with Moscow reporting more than 10,000 new cases for three days in a row.

At the same time, many European countries that have relaxed strict lockdowns after new infections tapered off were watching their virus numbers warily.

“We know with great certainty that there will be a second wave — the majority of scientists are sure of that. And many also assume that there will be a third wave,” said Lothar Wieler, the head of Germany’s national disease control center.

French President Emmanuel Macron took heat from parents, teachers and mayors, who pushed back against his plans to gradually reopen schools next week with classes capped at 15 students.

Italy this week allowed 4.4 million people to go back to work and eased restrictions on personal movement for the first time in two months.

The coming weeks are essentially an “experiment” to see how the infection curve reacts to the easing of the West’s first lockdown, the head of infectious diseases at Italy’s Superior Institute of Health told the La Repubblica newspaper.

https://apnews.com/4450a59eb5276bc5cecc61613e797018
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutorial and more vids

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/health-news/researchers-hypothesize-that-a-highly-contagious-strain-of-the-coronavirus-is-spreading-but-other-experts-remain-skeptical/ar-BB13EcHd

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Gregg Abbott of Texas modifies Executive order inprisoning violators of Stay at home..

Governor Abbott Modifies COVID-19 Executive Orders To Eliminate Confinement As A Punishment

quote:
Governor Greg Abbott today modified his executive orders related to COVID-19 to eliminate confinement as a punishment for violating these orders. These modifications are being applied retroactively.

“Throwing Texans in jail who have had their businesses shut down through no fault of their own is nonsensical, and I will not allow it to happen,” said Governor Abbott. “That is why I am modifying my executive orders to ensure confinement is not a punishment for violating an order. This order is retroactive to April 2nd, supersedes local orders and if correctly applied should free Shelley Luther. It may also ensure that other Texans like Ana Isabel Castro-Garcia and Brenda Stephanie Mata who were arrested in Laredo, should not be subject to confinement. As some county judges advocate for releasing hardened criminals from jail to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it is absurd to have these business owners take their place.”

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-modifies-covid-19-executive-orders-to-eliminate-confinement-as-a-punishment
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Live updates: ‘Those jobs will all be back,’ Trump vows after U.S. workforce takes historic hit

quote:
The pandemic’s devastating economic toll came into sharp focus Friday, via grim data about the U.S. workforce: More than 20 million jobs disappeared from payrolls in April — wiping out a decade of gains in a single month as the unemployment rate jumped to 14.7 percent. “Those jobs will all be back, and they’ll be back very soon,” President Trump vowed on Fox News.

Meanwhile, one of Trump’s personal valets tested positive for the novel coronavirus, sparking fears of potential spread in the West Wing. Trump and Vice President Pence have since tested negative, the White House said.

Here are some significant developments:

As states slowly reopen, 77 percent of laid-off U.S. workers believe they will get their jobs back after the crisis. But economists warn that over 40 percent of job losses could become permanent.

With the confirmed U.S. death toll surpassing 75,000, researchers are warning of an additional 75,000 “deaths of despair.”

The White House ordered the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to revise its “overly specific” reopening guidelines.

Frustrated doctors say some hospitals with surges of coronavirus patients haven’t been able to get remdesivir, an experimental drug that is the first and only treatment for covid-19.

Millions of children in the world’s poorest countries may never return to school after the pandemic ends, according to international development experts.

Seattle’s mayor said 20 miles of streets that were shut to provide more space for social distancing will remain closed to through traffic after the city’s stay-at-home orders end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/08/coronavirus-update-us/
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
14:44 GMT - Markets closed to control Mexico's exuberant Mother's Day

quote:
Few countries celebrate Mother's Day with as much gusto as Mexico, and that has created fears the celebrations could threaten lock-down measures and spread the new coronavirus.

Wary of Mexicans’ deep desire to bring mom flowers and cakes this Sunday, some officials have ordered the closing of public markets, and pastry and flower shops, while others are proposing a virtual Mother's Day or even postponing celebrations for a month.

“There should be no celebration of Mother's Day because we would probably bring mom the gift of the coronavirus, which could kill her," said Dr. Manuel De la O Cavazos, the health secretary of northern Nuevo Leon state.

12:30 GMT - Pandemic destroys 20.5 million US jobs in April

quote:
The US unemployment rate hit 14.7 percent in April, the highest in the post-war era, as 20.5 million jobs vanished in the worst monthly loss on record.

The figures are a stark evidence of the damage the coronavirus pandemic has done to a now-shattered economy.

The unprecedented collapse drove the unemployment rate well beyond the peak hit in late 2009 during the global financial crisis - from 4.4 percent in March.

The plunge in nonfarm payroll employment was the largest ever recorded since 1939, while the jobless rate was the highest and the biggest increase since 1948, the Labor Department report said.

Read more here.

07:50 GMT - Japan, US agree to cooperate in COVID-19 fight

quote:
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and US President Trump have agreed to cooperate closely in developing COVID-19 vaccines and drugs, and in their efforts to boost their economies.

The two leaders held telephone talks as they seek to reopen businesses in their respective countries.

"It was extremely meaningful to be able to reassure Japan-US cooperation via telephone talks between the two leaders just as the international society is expected to unite and tackle the (pandemic)," Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/deaths-hit-75000-covid-19-wave-feared-live-updates-200507231219399.html
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com