EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi

I am thinking of going to Luxor, would like to know when is the high season, and when the low season starts. Where to stay there and what to see. I was thinking of 5 days is that enough to see evreything. There was an offer by Karank Travel 4days HB and drinks dbr and rt ticket to Luxor at the Karank Sofital for 910 pounds pp. Is that a good hotel and is that air ticket from Cairo-Luxor-Cairo

I got other prices:
1- New Cataract 95pounds with breakfast
2- Old ,, ,, 200 ,, ,, ,,
3- Hilton 140 ,, ,, ,,
4-Movenpick 330 ,, ,, ,,

Is there other good hotels.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autobahn
Member # 6098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autobahn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have an e-mail address to send information to?
Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sofitel Karnak is nice but its a bit out of town.

The high season is from November til March.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are loads of good hotels and it depends very much on your budget. I wouldn'y do half board though. Just bed and breakfast, eating out is part of the fun.

Don't forget to visit the West Bank where I live for meals, we are much cheaper and more traditional.

Email me if you want more details jane@flatsinluxor.co .uk

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sofitel Karnak is mainly done on HB basis. They were going to sell the hotel as an all inclusive resort. The other Hotels offer BB.

When are you coming???

The Merdien is currently adding another floor to the building so there is some noisey work going on. That will last for about 6 weeks. Inshallah LOL

Movenpick has just completed some renovation work in the main building but the new pool is not yet finished (still using the old one which is nice). It will be wonderful when it is finished. Movenpick is a bit far out too but the opp end to the Sofitel Karnak.

Hilton in Karnak is nice, but could do with an upgrade. Someone just posted that the Chinese there is good.

Winter Place. Living on its name I think. Desperate need of renovation.

Sheraton. Always popular. Good setting and not too far out. Great food. It will be getting renovated in May and June 2005. Public areas. Its getting a new bar, lobby and restaurant.

Sonesta. Nice and handy. Lots of marble everywhere. Bar is quiet. Food is wonderful. Pool is nice although the water is always cold.

The mid year vacation for the children and feast will be happening within the next couple of weeks and the city will be full of Egyptian families.

[This message has been edited by Kenzie (edited 12 January 2005).]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Nile watcher e-mail is: kbukres@yahoo.com

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I mean my e-mail is: kbukres@yahoo.com

WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by karim:
[B]

Hi

I am thinking of going to Luxor, would like to know when is the high season, and when the low season starts. Where to stay there and what to see. I was thinking of 5 days is that enough to see evreything.

Karim
Low season is usually between end of November and mid-Feb (except Xmas) here but due to the heat can be July in Egypt. Check out lastminute.com they have great offers at the moment. One of the best hotels in Luxor is the Sonesta St.George and between now and Easter you can get a single room for £25 a night BB with a Nile view and a double for around £30 !

[This message has been edited by WELSHLADYUK (edited 12 January 2005).]

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by WELSHLADYUK:

Karim
Low season is usually between end of November and mid-Feb (except Xmas), check out lastminute.com they have great offers at the moment. One of the best hotels in Luxor is the Sonesta St.George and between now and Easter you can get a single room for £25 a night BB with a Nile view and a double for around £30 ![/B]

Sorry but the high season (PEAK) time is during the winter months as I said before. It is much more comfortable for the guests sight seeing when it is cooler so that is when the prices are higher and the occupancy is greater.

The low season in July August summer time is too hot. The occupancy levels are lower and room rates are reduced with many travel companies offering lots of special late deals.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Kenzie. Low season is definitely the summer months, much to hot, and the cruises dont run from Luxor due to the lock closure during June.

Welshlady..... where did you find those prices for the Sonesta.... the Sonesta quoted me $50 per night just to upgrade to a front Nile view room and I only managed to bargain them down to $40 a night. still way more than the Meridien charge for an upgrade. And they charge a supplement for a double room instead of a twin.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
I agree with you Kenzie. Low season is definitely the summer months, much to hot, and the cruises dont run from Luxor due to the lock closure during June.

Welshlady..... where did you find those prices for the Sonesta.... the Sonesta quoted me $50 per night just to upgrade to a front Nile view room and I only managed to bargain them down to $40 a night.

Yes my error I meant low season if book from UK, July is low season for Egypt due to the heat where you can cook an egg on the pavement!

Shareen - went on the internet only two days ago to book accomodation for my sister, try logging onto lastminute.com select "hotels, luxor, 5 star". I booked her a single room at Sonesta St.George for Feb 2005 and the cost £123.30 for 5 nights (£24.66 a night BB) for a double/twin only £154.70 (£30.94 for two people BB which is only £15.50 per night...and WITH nile view !

Only £14 BB for a two people in a twin room BB in the Josephs Hotel across the road, for the same month (same website).

Karim £910 seems a little expensive, best to find cheap flight to Cairo and take the 1st class sleeper down to Luxor, takes 9hrs overnight but you can possibly do 2 wks taking in both Cairo and Luxor for around £400-£500 if you choose your hotels wisely - as long as you avoid high season and public holidays.

[This message has been edited by WELSHLADYUK (edited 12 January 2005).]

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice prices Welshwoman, but if its for travelling in the next few weeks, then I can see why they are so good. Oh, and the majority of rooms in the Sonesta have a nile view..... its a side nile view, but the balconies are angled so that its almost as good as the ones on the front.
St Joseph at £14 per night is pretty average. You can call them direct at anytime and get that price. Lol, in Luxor everything is negotiable.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Sonesta side nile view tend also to look over the electricity station or the other side where there is now a public swimming pool.

Karim
Do you live in Cairo and are coming on the Egyptian Packages where the Cai-Lxr-Cai flight is included with the Hotel or are you coming from outside Egypt?

respect
Member # 4944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for respect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to Cairo, British Airways sale is now on and offering returns for £300. Thomson flights fly direct to Luxor from Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester for about the same price or less depending when you go.
http://www.thomsonflights.com http://www.britishairways.com

Posts: 9 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

Hi,

I live in Cairo. just saw another package:

4 night nile cruise + 3 night at Isis Aswan hotel= 1690 BB on hotel and FB on the cruise.

2 night in Aswan+ 3 cruise nights+ 2 Luxor nights at Izis hotel= 1490

What about these offers, will I think i will travel end of March it will be cheaper then.

Thanks for all the info

Karim

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karim, when you say 1490 pounds, is that Egytian pounds or English pounds?
Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I mean Egyptian Pound

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Wow! I want egyptian prices! Karim, the deal at the Sofitel Karnak including return flights at 910LE is great! Do you know that us foreigners would pay almost double that just for the flight?
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I thought that you were Egyptian Shareen.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Lol, no Karim, just a Brit with a love of Egypt, but thank you for the compliment
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I still have hard time to decide what to do. Do I go to Luxor and stay in a hotel, and look at the sights or take a nile cruise.

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is your 1st visit then I would recommend you do a cruise and stay.
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

This what I was thinking off

karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I will take a cruise, so which one to take. I am looking on the net there is so many ships, so which one is good.

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why not have stay in luxor and while there book a cruise .
we managed to get 4 nites down to aswan for 30 english each when we did it 5 star boat
with cheops by winter palace

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

Hi,

So you want me to book in a hotel, while I am in a cruise.

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you'll make up your mind

1st you say you stay in luxor , then you say cruise and stay , then a cruise ?

maybe you are indecisive , but not so sure now

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

I said I will take a cruise.

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karim, I went on the Sun Ray in 2003, it was a lovely boat, very clean, newly built, the food was excellent and no tummy bugs.

All in all we had an excellent trip. We booked through Kuoni, but maybe you can find it listed elsewhere.

Good Luck. If you are not going alone why not rent a flat and eat out.That way you really get to know the place and the locals.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:

Thanks GeGe

How long was the cruise. I prefer to do the cruise better than renting a flat.

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karim:

Thanks GeGe

How long was the cruise. I prefer to do the cruise better than renting a flat.

Karim,

It was 7 days.Really worth doing. Great way to see Egypt from a boat. The excursions were also good and so much information given.
Definately a good way of seeing everything from Luxor to Aswan. We also flew to Abu Simbel that was one of the best experiences of the whole trip.Friends took a hot air baloon trip over the west bank in Luxor they said it was amazing. The boat trip is full board so you do not have to worry about money for food etc. Just take a good pair of walking shoes.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com