EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » IS Egypt part of the Middle East

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IS Egypt part of the Middle East
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think that Egypt is part of Africa and should not be put as part of The middle East. Egypt was always part of Africa and it will stay part of Africa.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What! Okey! no replies does that mean everyone with me. Wow! and i thought i get some bull ****.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyYuna
Member # 3841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyYuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is located in Africa but it's now part of the Arab world. The whole name of Egypt is it's The Arab Republic of Egypt and it's part of The Arab League.

Yes, Egypt has been veiled with an Arab lace for quite a long time. But such is the way of the world. Why do people in remote places like the Caribbean and the Philippines speak Spanish among other languages? Why do so many South Americans appear European in looks and social behavior? Why do some Latino people appear Asian in ethnicity? Why do South American "Indians" and Native Americans look just alike?

People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

Posts: 22 | From: Washington DC Area | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as the Middle East. The term Middle East was coined by British orientalist and has no historical significance.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
I personally think that Egypt is part of Africa and should not be put as part of The middle East. Egypt was always part of Africa and it will stay part of Africa.

Who cares.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
Who cares.

Kimo, you would be surprised a lot of people do , including me

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Kimo, you would be surprised a lot of people do , including me

Cheers

Okay, why? I am honestly interested, why is it so interesting if Egypt is in one geographical division or another?

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The middle east doesn't exist geographically. It is just a blanket term to group all the Arabic speaking countries together. Egypt is part of Africa and if you want to get more specific, North Africa. Culturally, Egypt is a fusion of West Asian and East African cultures.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chrisderfer
Member # 2985

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chrisderfer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Middle East is not only the Arabic speaking countries in the region, but the non-Arab countries as well (Israel, Turkey and Iran).
We can't simply dismiss the term as an unimportant "Orientalist" creation. Unlike other Orientalist theories and terms, "Middle East" is not derogatory. Indeed, it makes no statements. It is simply a geographical term reflecting the time it was made (at that time, the region was in the middle of Europe and Asia).

No need to get in a cat fight over a term that is just meant to describe a particular region.

Posts: 40 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Kadafi
Member # 4193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Kadafi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is in Africa and politically involved in both regions, as it should be.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyYuna
Member # 3841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyYuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisderfer:
The Middle East is not only the Arabic speaking countries in the region, but the non-Arab countries as well (Israel, Turkey and Iran).
We can't simply dismiss the term as an unimportant "Orientalist" creation. Unlike other Orientalist theories and terms, "Middle East" is not derogatory. Indeed, it makes no statements. It is simply a geographical term reflecting the time it was made (at that time, the region was in the middle of Europe and Asia).

No need to get in a cat fight over a term that is just meant to describe a particular region.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

Posts: 22 | From: Washington DC Area | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisderfer:

Exactly!!

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's the history of the geographical term 'Africa'? Anyone know? Was it coined by Europeans, Africans?
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairofan
Member # 4248

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairofan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:

Why would this be so important? Who cares aboout a geographic location name? Some researchers though say there is a correlation between the climate and economic performance. Countries above the equator and the more northern it gets, the better they perform. Is it true or BS of some scientists? Seems a way more interesting thing to get insight into rather than argue about a name

Posts: 15 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''And what's the history of the geographical term 'Africa'? Anyone know? Was it coined by Europeans, Africans?''

Two schools of thought exist on the origin of the word Africa: one believes that the name came from a Roman commander who beat Hannibal in the Punic Wars,and the second school of thought says the name originates from an indigenous tribe that live somewhere in modern Tunisa named Afer . Afer was a term that Romans called people in this region reffering to a tribe that lived outside of Carthage.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you didn't read already read it the book: The wealth and poverty of nations ~ why some are so rich and some are so poor~ by David S.Landes, it is extremely relevant.

quote:
Originally posted by cairofan:
Why would this be so important? Who cares aboout a geographic location name? Some researchers though say there is a correlation between the climate and economic performance. Countries above the equator and the more northern it gets, the better they perform. Is it true or BS of some scientists? Seems a way more interesting thing to get insight into rather than argue about a name

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cairofan:

I haven’t read the book mentioned by Monica, but I would be sceptical of such a preposition. Just because it is right in our day and time, doesn’t make it a universal truth. A couple of points:
1-not all countries around the equator are at the same level of economic performance. You have wide variations is such performance. Just as you have Congo and other African countries, you also have Brazil, Indonesia and Malaysia, among others.
2-in past history there have been great civilisations closer to the equator. For example Egypt, Mesopotamia, Hellenic and Roman, at times when the northern part of Europe was inhabited by savage nomadic Germanic tribes. There were also other great civilisations in Persia, China, and later on the Islamic civilisation.
I think it all boils down to the resources available and how you manage them, but probably most importantly issues of justice and intellect.

Monica, would you be so kind as to give us a synopsis of the book, I’d be interested to know the argument it presents, but quite frankly don’t have the time to read it.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramses nemesis,

I'm leaving for a few days/work/ so I will do so, next week.

Until then, take care,

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:
I haven’t read the book mentioned by Monica, but I would be sceptical of such a preposition. Just because it is right in our day and time, doesn’t make it a universal truth. A couple of points:
1-not all countries around the equator are at the same level of economic performance. You have wide variations is such performance. Just as you have Congo and other African countries, you also have Brazil, Indonesia and Malaysia, among others.
2-in past history there have been great civilisations closer to the equator. For example Egypt, Mesopotamia, Hellenic and Roman, at times when the northern part of Europe was inhabited by savage nomadic Germanic tribes. There were also other great civilisations in Persia, China, and later on the Islamic civilisation.
I think it all boils down to the resources available and how you manage them, but probably most importantly issues of justice and intellect.

Monica, would you be so kind as to give us a synopsis of the book, I’d be interested to know the argument it presents, but quite frankly don’t have the time to read it.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Ramses nemesis,

I'm leaving for a few days/work/ so I will do so, next week.

Until then, take care,

Monica

hmmm, good excuse to go read it first, lol
(just kidding babe, no offence )

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...what a good idea...I will read it ~again~ during my flight...!!!

after I posted I thought you would probably say that...

yallah bye...

quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:
hmmm, good excuse to go read it first, lol
(just kidding babe, no offence )

foreigngirl
Member # 4054

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreigngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S.American "Indians" and Native Americans look alike because they are both Natie Americans. Living in Texas, most Mexicans are Native Americans but are not Europeans, but speak Spanish, a European language. I am of European descent, and yet here I am considered of a different race because I speak Spanish. Argentinians look European because they are European descent, where as other Latin Americans are either mixed with Native Americans or Africans.
quote:
Originally posted by LadyYuna:
Egypt is located in Africa but it's now part of the Arab world. The whole name of Egypt is it's The Arab Republic of Egypt and it's part of The Arab League.

Yes, Egypt has been veiled with an Arab lace for quite a long time. But such is the way of the world. Why do people in remote places like the Caribbean and the Philippines speak Spanish among other languages? Why do so many South Americans appear European in looks and social behavior? Why do some Latino people appear Asian in ethnicity? Why do South American "Indians" and Native Americans look just alike?

People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

Posts: 145 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyYuna
Member # 3841

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by foreigngirl:
S.American "Indians" and Native Americans look alike because they are both Natie Americans. Living in Texas, most Mexicans are Native Americans but are not Europeans, but speak Spanish, a European language. I am of European descent, and yet here I am considered of a different race because I speak Spanish. Argentinians look European because they are European descent, where as other Latin Americans are either mixed with Native Americans or Africans.

Ah, yeah I know that. That's my point. As I said in my post: People invade, migrate, and just plain get lost. But it's not always the location of the country that makes it what it is. It is the people who inhabit it.

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do these people look "arab" or "black"("african")?

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member

Asoola
Member # 3192

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Asoola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look like typically nice Egyptian people to me! Your friends and family Ayazid? I especially love the two little girls in the first picture... mashallah adorable!
Posts: 22 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people are Egyptian despite their different phenotypes. All are Egyptians!

LadyYuna
Member # 3841

Rate Member
I can't see the pictures.
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
is the pope catholic?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com