EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » tipping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tipping
kib
Member # 4337

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kib     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for such a basic and not very interesting question, but my friends and i are new teachers here and we are wondering whether we should tip on top of the service charge in restaurants. some heard that the restaurant takes the service charge and the wait staff do not get any. can anybody give me a tip on tipping? thanks!

on a totally unrelated tangent, does anybody know where there is a computer shop in maadi? for peripherals. thanks also!

Posts: 15 | From: canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sciascia75
Member # 5104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sciascia75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kib,
for the tip I cannot help you since I have the same doubt every time,...but I always leave smtg (ten % about, or minimum 3-4LE).
For the computer shop in Maadi, there're two at the cross of road 151 with Rd 155 is close to the first Maadi entrance and is in a gallery with more than one shops. This place is close to the Cairo Hotel.
Try there.

------------------
"Trust God and keep your powders dry" Sir Oliver Cromwell

Posts: 25 | From: Roma, Italy --> Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Kib

My husband is Egyptian and he always gives the waiters a tip of about 10% regardless of whether there is service charge on the bill or not.

Hope this helps
Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tip the waiters as much as you feel they deserve it!!!
They rely on that for sure...especially in Egypt...
Have a great school year!
If you'd like, please post an email addy and I will be happy to give you a few tips in regards with the computer peripherals in Maadi...

quote:
Originally posted by kib:
sorry for such a basic and not very interesting question, but my friends and i are new teachers here and we are wondering whether we should tip on top of the service charge in restaurants. some heard that the restaurant takes the service charge and the wait staff do not get any. can anybody give me a tip on tipping? thanks!

on a totally unrelated tangent, does anybody know where there is a computer shop in maadi? for peripherals. thanks also!

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kib
Member # 4337

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kib     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the help guys! my email is biglarrymcmurty(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
Posts: 15 | From: canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you tip a makwagi? And, if yes, how much?
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A makwagy can also be tipped. It is all left to your discretion. Usually, when you tip a makwagy, you are telling him in other words: 'Take special care of my clothes'.

Most Egyptians tip everybody that provides a service. It's part of our culture. Some are more generous than others, regardless of their financial means.

Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Do you tip a makwagi? And, if yes, how much?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 05 September 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com