EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » WORK PERMITS & VISAS FOR EGYPT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WORK PERMITS & VISAS FOR EGYPT
ozgal
Member # 11807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi... Im after some advice/info from non-nationals (aussies?)who have been through the process of moving to egypt & working over there... What sort of Visa do you need (entry visa? presumably not a tourist visa)... Do i need some sort of work permit? I keep getting such conflicting information & cant seem to locate a website which details anything specific
Posts: 4 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day. I'd enter on a tourist visa, and then try to get the work visa. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about getting a work visa if you're not already with a company. Depending on what you plan to be doing, maybe you can just stay as a tourist.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozgal
Member # 11807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im starting to think that mite b the way 2 go... tourist visa & look for work once i am there..... im pretty sure if i can get a job before i go the company organises my visa / work permit for me... i think i read somewhere that its easier to remain in egypt by renewing a tourist visa but wondered if anyone has actually been there done that....
Posts: 4 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatisch für die Leute
Member # 7291

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Automatisch für die Leute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ozgal:
im starting to think that mite b the way 2 go... tourist visa & look for work once i am there..... im pretty sure if i can get a job before i go the company organises my visa / work permit for me... i think i read somewhere that its easier to remain in egypt by renewing a tourist visa but wondered if anyone has actually been there done that....

After being on this forum for a long long time I'm getting the impression that none of the foreigners working in Egypt have work permits or work visa let alone pay taxes.

A case in point is LuxorLover and Keefy. These two people are under the impression that Egyptians should be thankfully for their presence in the country. Somehow their twisted minds convinced that by working illegally, operating a business without a license and evading taxes they are actually helping Egyptians!!!!!!
If that's no enough, LL actually offered to another person who briefly started another illegal business.....
Of course you point out to them, like I do, that their behavior is unacceptable they will immediately tell you that most Egyptians cheat on their taxes and that somehow justifies their own crime against Egyptians.Backward thinking if you ask me.

In any case, my suggestion is to contact the Egyptian embassy in your country ans ask them. But if you decid to go to Egypt on tourist visa to look for work, that would also be fine, just remember to get a work permit and pay your taxes after you find a job.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihthus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is such a thing as work permit in Egypt. You should have invitation from the company while you are in your homeland. After this you'll be able to get residence visa and work permit. I'm sure this is the way it works for people from former USSR, it's possible that for people from Europe, USA there is no need to get invitation. If you don't mind to work illeagally than you can come to Egypt as the toursit and to find job here. Sometimes some companies will be able to make you work permit even without inviting you from your homeland but usually it's very difficult. If u start to work in the company that makes u work permit than surely they will take care of renewing your visa
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt, Hurghada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, mine's a 1 year visa with work permitted, that my company hooked up.

Although a little hard-hitting (and possibly bitter), afdl's point is very well taken. I'd never really seen it that way before. Another angle to it though is that many of the white collar foreigners that come here, only do so because of the tax benefits. I get paid off-shore, but my company pays tax on my behalf.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatisch für die Leute:
After being on this forum for a long long time I'm getting the impression that none of the foreigners working in Egypt have work permits or work visa let alone pay taxes.

Actually it's not always that easy for foreigners to get a work permit or pay taxes if they apply for jobs in the country, many companies try to find ways round it and will try to avoid the hassle. I have been trying to get many companies to organize a work visa for me and all have given me different excuses, until only just recently. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gentle_giant:
Yep, mine's a 1 year visa with work permitted, that my company hooked up.

Although a little hard-hitting (and possibly bitter), afdl's point is very well taken. I'd never really seen it that way before. Another angle to it though is that many of the white collar foreigners that come here, only do so because of the tax benefits. I get paid off-shore, but my company pays tax on my behalf.

Officially many western owned corporations with an office in Egypt are supposed to employ 51% with Egyptians and 49% with foreigners. Most western companies don't comply with that actual % so I suppose those foreigners not within the 49% aren't given an offical work permit.

now that I am divorced I am still allowed a residency visa because my ex has citizenship from this country so he's a dual-citizen. And my daughter has official Egyptian nationality, so the combination of the two helps out.

But I am having difficulty envisioning a work permit without sponsorship from my in-laws.

I know that the first $10,000 will be taxed by the Egyptian government and the income after that will be taxed by both.

If I can't locate a position in Cairo that will float my student loans I have an standing offer for a position in Kuwait City. But I don't want to take it unless its a last resort. Finding adequate work in Cairo is rough, and I'll gladly pay any taxes to stay in Cairo. [Cool]

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:

now that I am divorced I am still allowed a residency visa because my ex has citizenship from this country so he's a dual-citizen.

Curious to know why you say this, the visa regulations say that it is only: "Spouses and widows of Egyptians" that are allowed residency http://www.mfa.gov.eg/MFA_Portal/en-GB/Services/Rules+and+Regulations/
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:

now that I am divorced I am still allowed a residency visa because my ex has citizenship from this country so he's a dual-citizen.

Curious to know why you say this, the visa regulations say that it is only: "Spouses and widows of Egyptians" that are allowed residency http://www.mfa.gov.eg/MFA_Portal/en-GB/Services/Rules+and+Regulations/
Thats what the website says. What the actual laws and regulations are are much more elaborate.

If you went down to the department of Justice (several actual STATE court buildings in the nation, a new court building is in Alex) and there are law libraries. You must read Arabi, because the complete texts are not in English.

Whats on that webpage is just a tiny minute portion of actual law.

Did you think that the Egyptian government would take the time to put all the legal texts up on the web in English?

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

No need to patronize me...I just asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer, that's all. If you don't know the answer, just say so!
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
No need to patronize me...I just asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer, that's all. If you don't know the answer, just say so!

Well when you bring out one single web page instead of a competent translated legal text its a stab at being patronizing yourself. I was just returning the serve.

I asked around about several hotly contested topics from ES with a relative thats a very experienced lawyer. And he had looked into half of those expat-related topics for me before I had even had asked. He was waiting for me to ask those questions and then relay to my FIL and MIL to see if I was actually serious about moving to Egypt.

There are no straight answers to most expat related questions. There are many variables in regards to housing, work visas/permits, car ownership, starting a business, donating to charity and many other activities.

Its seems as though the Egyptian government makes regulations more often than actual law and applies these regulations based on the nationality of the foreigner and how that foreigner is tied to Egypt.

Legal context is just the tip of the iceburg, regulation is where an expat must focus their attention. [Wink]

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
now that I am divorced I am still allowed a residency visa because my ex has citizenship from this country so he's a dual-citizen. And my daughter has official Egyptian nationality, so the combination of the two helps out.

All I was asking for was an explanation of this statement that you made, as the information that is generally given by the government is different from what you stated. If you had all this explained to you, perhaps you could pass the explanation onto others, otherwise all ex-wives of Egyptians will think that they are entitled to a residency visa in Egypt.

Does your statement mean that you can retain your current 5 year residency visa? Can you go and renew your current residency visa after you have divorced? Can you apply for a new residency visa on the basis of having once been married to an Egyptian who you are now divorced from? A general idea about these type of questions might be useful for other in a similar position to you.

Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
quote:

All I was asking for was an explanation of this statement that you made, as the information that is generally given by the government is different from what you stated. If you had all this explained to you, perhaps you could pass the explanation onto others, otherwise all ex-wives of Egyptians will think that they are entitled to a residency visa in Egypt.

Does your statement mean that you can retain your current 5 year residency visa? Can you go and renew your current residency visa after you have divorced? Can you apply for a new residency visa on the basis of having once been married to an Egyptian who you are now divorced from? A general idea about these type of questions might be useful for other in a similar position to you.

As I said its all subjective according to your nationality, gender, marriage status, military service record, type and origin of income and so forth.

The beauty of regulation is it changes all the time and its at the whim of the corresponding official you are dealing with.

Remember all those nasty accusations about my husband's and I's INS marriage petition? Remember how I couldn't come up with actual law or even case law? Why? because its based on bureau policy and its corresponding regulation.

So what has happened with a married women from Bulgaria is different from a married woman from France. And a divorced French woman trying to buy land in El-gouna is going to be married woman from Libya. Its all subjective.

The reason why none of this stuff is in actual legal form is because a western corporation hasn't pressured the Egyptian parliment to put a situaion or process in firm legal code. the only way any thing is set in stone is when either the media makes a circus of it or a motived rich foreign executive wants to stop playing daddy warbucks for a bunch of deceptive clerks.

Foreign divorcees and married women must put together a coalition to get anything that affects them into legal code in order to have a reliable uniform process for a situation.

Sorry if you have been paying attention the Egyptian government picks and choses how it will operate between the foreigner and themselves. Its the just the way things are.

massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Officially many western owned corporations with an office in Egypt are supposed to employ 51% with Egyptians and 49% with foreigners. Most western companies don't comply with that actual % so I suppose those foreigners not within the 49% aren't given an offical work permit.
Plase let me know which multinational company in Egypt employs even 25% foreigners.
You will be lucky if foreigners represent 5%-10% of the total workforce.

I am refering to companies such as:
Citigroup Egypt
Pfizer Egypt
Coca-Cola Egypt
Microsoft Egypt
etc.........

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
Originally posted by massenburg:
quote:
Plase let me know which multinational company in Egypt employs even 25% foreigners.
You will be lucky if foreigners represent 5%-10% of the total workforce.

I am refering to companies such as:
Citigroup Egypt
Pfizer Egypt
Coca-Cola Egypt
Microsoft Egypt
etc.........

Is this total workforce in all of egypt or are you refering to actual multinational corporations?

Coca-Cola is a subsidary in Egypt owned by Egyptians.

I am refering to multinational corporations that have formed a branch in Egypt and actually owned by the corporation and is registered in a western stock index, not an Egyptian stock index.

And I have read through thousands of posts, most expats and Egyptians working for these branches of foreign multinational corporations are staffed by foreigners.

But I am just refering to other egy-forum posters, not actual experience.

massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant 25% of the total workforce, not foreigners at senior levels with 10+ years of experience.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg
Member # 10776

Does Booz Allen Hamilton qualify ?
massenburg
Member # 10776

How about IBM, GlaxosmithKine ?
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
I meant 25% of the total workforce, not foreigners at senior levels with 10+ years of experience.

true the white collar professional positions are mainly staffed by foreigners. which is what alot of colleged educated Egyptian ESers bitch about rightfully.

Its like 20 years ago in the USA corporations had mainly white male managers and the blue collared staff positions is the only in for people of color. That has changed significantly in just the last 8 years. The same needs to happen with foreign corporations in Egypt.

Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
Does Booz Allen Hamilton qualify ?

If he is one person, no. But if the board members are mostly Egyptian and the corporation is listed on the Egyptian stock market then its Egyptian owned.

The investors and trustees must have 51% Egyptian to be listed as Egyptian owned.

take a look into who can register their corporation or LLC in the Egyptian stock index and then you'll know if its a multinational corporation or Egyptian owned.

massenburg
Member # 10776

quote:
true the white collar professional positions are mainly staffed by foreigners. which is what alot of colleged educated Egyptian ESers bitch about rightfully.
I will use Accounting and Finance as an example. Very few foreigners work in the above two fields with TOP firms in Egypt. A lot of foreigners work in hotels, tourism, NGO's, teaching, customer relations, translation...... basically, positions that require foreigners or native language speakers.
massenburg
Member # 10776

Here is a scenario, the HR of a US based company in Cairo interviews two potential candidates. The firt one is a young Egyptian who speaks Arabic and English and is a US Certified Managerial Accountant (CMA). The second is from Kansas, knows one language and only has a accounting degree fom Wichita State.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month I changed my visa status.
I changed from tourist to resident.
To get my 5 year resident visa at Mogammo in Cairo we had to show our legalized UK marriage certificate, my husband had to be there and he had to pay some sort of government stamp. The cost was about 22 sterling plus the stamps.
It took a week to process and we picked it up the following week from the same desk.
The 5 year residency has a stamp on it and it does not allow work!!
I dont have to work in Egypt, but I am not sure about a 5 year residency that allows the bearer to work. Possible there is another residency visa which allows working?

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
Here is a scenario, the HR of a US based company in Cairo interviews two potential candidates. The firt one is a young Egyptian who speaks Arabic and English and is a US Certified Managerial Accountant (CMA). The second is from Kansas, knows one language and only has a accounting degree fom Wichita State.

Dude you are so high on yourself.

Did you get passed over for marriage in preference for a better American candidate?

Major inferiority complex here.

I see alot of issues here.

massenburg
Member # 10776

That's how it works.
Excellent experience + qualifications = Good job

Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
That's how it works.
Excellent experience + qualifications = Good job

Dude American grads are more likely to have their CPA licensure than Egyptian grads.

I don't think there is an CPA equivilant in Egypt anyhow.

Sorry you are off your mark.

massenburg
Member # 10776

quote:
Dude American grads are more likely to have their CPA licensure than Egyptian grads.
I don't think there is an CPA equivilant in Egypt anyhow.
Sorry you are off your mark.

Of course American graduates are more likely to have their CPA licensure than Egyptian grads. There are tens of thousands of licensed American CPAs in the US compared to no more than 300 "LICENSED" Egyptian CPAs in "EGYPT".
Being a CPA in the US isn't regarded as prestigeous at all, just another bean counter.

Afterall, it's a American designation, just like the UK ICAEW, Australian CAs etc.

Although there are very few CPAs in Egypt, there are also very limited job opporunities for them to aquire the license.

Look at this this way, PricewaterhouseCoopers, the largest auditing firm in the world, in the US, it employs close to 27000 in Egypt less than 250.

gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
quote:

[/QUOTE]

The sad truth is that most locals that get to this level are just not good enough. The mode of thinking is still different, and it's not conducive to efficient business. The newer generation are much better though. The kids who've come out of uni in the last couple of years are showing much better problem solving and decision making skills. Egypt will get there (insha'allah), but it can't stand alone yet.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Companies have to employ 7 Egyptians for every foreigner.

And now I understand why PriceWaterhouse give us such crap service in Egypt!

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com