EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » similar verbs... help! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: similar verbs... help!
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katanga we bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba5Koshari:
No blasphemy here. The Quran and the prophet state that Jews and Christians have changed their books and warned Muslims of doing the same.

He also said to respect the previous two books which contain God's word.

Don't dispute any of it, because you won't know for sure whether you are renouncing the word of God or not.

If you can't point out which chapter, verse or version is true God's word or not then leave it alone and chose not to denounce any of it.

Besides it really doesn't concern you in the least, its not your Holy book. Then why let it bother yourself?

I question certain parts of the Quran, certain verses. But out of respect for a fellow believer I chose not to question it openly.

Which verses?
I don't mind. I spent a good deal of time questioning a lot and don't mind arguing. I had no idea you're religious though [Big Grin]

Posts: 743 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which verses?
I don't mind. I spent a good deal of time questioning a lot and don't mind arguing. I had no idea you're religious though [Big Grin]

I am actually quite religious. I spent alot of time in Church and every time I got into trouble at school I had to copy chunks of the Bible each time. I mean I had to write by hand at least 50 verses each time I got into trouble.

Then when I was a teenager I got into confirmation. Most of the confirmation instructors were not Lutheran and it was a Lutheran church. Lets just say I helped alot of these non-Lutheran religion instructors chose to stop teaching confirmation but also stop going to Lutheran CHruches in general.

Plus I was a weird teenager, medieval history was a dirty little obessesion.

I think its more difficult to adapt to Islam when you've been raised with a lot of Christian religiousity.

But I won't discuss Islam with anyone really, I spent 5 years of marriage being yelled at for remaining Christian. Which only made me reject Muslim kind, not Islam even further.

Besides i have found from the marital religous arguments have only forced me to go and research his arguments against the Bible and Christianity and I found greater reason to put my faith into the Bible and Christianity.

His blind hatred of Christianity has helped to see why Christianity and Islam has made sense to different people over the centuries and millenia.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katanga we bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Which verses?

I am actually quite religious. I spent alot of time in Church and every time I got into trouble at school I had to copy chunks of the Bible each time. I mean I had to write by hand at least 50 verses each time I got into trouble.

Then when I was a teenager I got into confirmation. Most of the confirmation instructors were not Lutheran and it was a Lutheran church. Lets just say I helped alot of these non-Lutheran religion instructors chose to stop teaching confirmation but also stop going to Lutheran CHruches in general.

Plus I was a weird teenager, medieval history was a dirty little obessesion.

I think its more difficult to adapt to Islam when you've been raised with a lot of Christian religiousity.

But I won't discuss Islam with anyone really, I spent 5 years of marriage being yelled at for remaining Christian. Which only made me reject Muslim kind, not Islam even further.

Besides i have found from the marital religous arguments have only forced me to go and research his arguments against the Bible and Christianity and I found greater reason to put my faith into the Bible and Christianity.

His blind hatred of Christianity has helped to see why Christianity and Islam has made sense to different people over the centuries and millenia.

Well I beg to differ. May I suggest Karen Armstrong writings in this regard. I mean how the hatred started and developed into what we're seeing today. That's all I got to say about the subject because honestly I think its a waste of time [Big Grin]
Posts: 743 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auto Matic For The People:
Where did you get that from?

Journal of Semitic Studies, Vol.XXVIII, No.2, 1983, pp. 311-320,
(A. Rippin - Qur'an 78/24: A Study In Arabic Lexicography)

History of Religions, Vol.36, No.1, 1996, pp. 13-41
(Suzanne Pinckney Stetkevych - Sarah and the Hyena: Laughter, Menstruation, and the Genesis of a Double Entendre)

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Sono, here are some interesting links for you...

Oxford Journals Of Semitic Studies

History of Religions Electronic Edition

Multidisciplinary Collections

Arabic Verbs

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No blasphemy here. The Quran and the prophet state that Jews and Christians have changed their books and warned Muslims of doing the same. [/QB]

This is not directed at you MK5....... it is directed at some muslims who dont think

What makes you so sure fellow muslims that that is true? Any proof?

I am a muslim too but the idea of "Islam is the answer", "All christians & jews will go to hell because their holy Books have been changed & because God said so in the Quran"? Does not appeal to me.

If god said so in the Quran from a long time ago....... then why didnt he kill all christians & jews already? Why even bother create them? Why didnt he make all the world population muslims? Why give them no other choice but to go to hell? Isnt there free will? But this is he opposite of free will........ Anything good they *will* do wont count because they are going to hell anyway? Isnt god fair & just? Then you make him sound like a Tyrant.......... sorry it's just an expression ( & no god is not putting me in hell for that discussion & for that expression)

And please stop judging everyone like you are god........ You are not GOD....... You dont have the FORGIVING POWER of god or the JUSTICE of god
So you will never KNOW or have the RIGHT to say Who Will go to hell & who wont......... So give it some rest then & leave people alone

You muslims have nothing better to do but judge others to only feel good about yourselves

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auto Matic For The People
Member # 10849

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auto Matic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sadeeqy:
quote:
Where did you get that from?

Journal of Semitic Studies, Vol.XXVIII, No.2, 1983, pp. 311-320,
(A. Rippin - Qur'an 78/24: A Study In Arabic Lexicography)

History of Religions, Vol.36, No.1, 1996, pp. 13-41
(Suzanne Pinckney Stetkevych - Sarah and the Hyena: Laughter, Menstruation, and the Genesis of a Double Entendre)

I don't understand what that means...there's nothing in your post that indicates Tadhak = Menstruation. Also the link you posted for sonomod: http://www.multimediaquran.com/quran/arabic/arabverb.htm clearly does not support your claim.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One of these days...I'm going to cut you into litle pieces.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaasseee???????????

Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath?? I can almost hear it, Pink Floyd??? is it?? [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath?? I can almost hear it, Pink Floyd??? is it?? [Frown]

Pink Floyd it is.

The others eat Battys' heads off.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
quote:
I don't understand what that means...there's nothing in your post that indicates Tadhak = Menstruation. Also the link you posted for sonomod: http://www.multimediaquran.com/quran/arabic/arabverb.htm clearly does not support your claim.

Hello again, Auto... let me explain how I've got the translation... [Roll Eyes]

When Sono first asked her question, i google it. The first link that i've found was one from History of Religions. Knowing that this field is one of her interests, I assumed that she is reading that article. And she confirmed that a few posts later. The second one was about Arabic Lexicography. Both sources were posted for you, too.

My other post, with the links were not necessary related to the subject. I put them here because I found out a little about her latest interests. That's all! If my reply about the verbs was shallow and offended you, I'm sorry... (I hope you won't cut me into little pieces... [Big Grin] )

Best regards, Auto... [Smile]

Member # 10849

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Auto Matic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

When Sono first asked her question, i google it. The first link that i've found was one from History of Religions. Knowing that this field is one of her interests, I assumed that she is reading that article. And she confirmed that a few posts later. The second one was about Arabic Lexicography. Both sources were posted for you, too.

My other post, with the links were not necessary related to the subject. I put them here because I found out a little about her latest interests. That's all! If my reply about the verbs was shallow and offended you, I'm sorry... (I hope you won't cut me into little pieces... [Big Grin] )

I still didn't get my answer and I'm not in any way offended [Confused]

You stated that the word Tadhak is translated as Menstruation, at least in Quranic context. I am interested in finding out if that is a fact. For some reason I can not access that first link you posted for sonomod but whatever you quoted from it was not in any way specific..... I'm looking details.

Posts: 164 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10849

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Auto Matic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Just curious, what were you hearing? The only lyrics in the entire "song" is that one line.
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
quote:
For some reason I can not access that first link you posted for sonomod but whatever you quoted from it was not in any way specific..... I'm looking details.

Perform a Google search on "dahikat and tadhaku" criteria. The first link that will appear is the one i've posted.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just curious, what were you hearing? The only lyrics in the entire "song" is that one line.
It rang a distant bell auto, I could 'hear' how i remember it being, but cant remember the music or what it was from. Please tell!!

'tis a long time since I listened to Pink Floyd [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ChinderallaAngelTormentor CAT:
quote:
No blasphemy here. The Quran and the prophet state that Jews and Christians have changed their books and warned Muslims of doing the same.

This is not directed at you MK5....... it is directed at some muslims who dont think

I am a muslim too but the idea of "Islam is the answer", "All christians & jews will go to hell because their holy Books have been changed & because God said so in the Quran"? Does not appeal to me.

If god said so in the Quran from a long time ago....... then why didnt he kill all christians & jews already? Why even bother create them? Why didnt he make all the world population muslims? Why give them no other choice but to go to hell? Isnt there free will? But this is he opposite of free will........ Anything good they *will* do wont count because they are going to hell anyway? Isnt god fair & just? Then you make him sound like a Tyrant.......... sorry it's just an expression ( & no god is not putting me in hell for that discussion & for that expression)

And please stop judging everyone like you are god........ You are not GOD....... You dont have the FORGIVING POWER of god or the JUSTICE of god
So you will never KNOW or have the RIGHT to say Who Will go to hell & who wont......... So give it some rest then & leave people alone

You muslims have nothing better to do but judge others to only feel good about yourselves [/QB]

Well, God also said "Tabbat Yaddah Aby Lahbb". How come we still blame Abu Lahabb if he is been damned since eternity [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By the way, Sono, here are some interesting links for you...

Oxford Journals Of Semitic Studies

History of Religions Electronic Edition

Multidisciplinary Collections

Arabic Verbs

Thanks for the last link. But this is what I have access to at home:

http://smumn.liblink.umn.edu/smumn/azlist/default

Those are the journals I can query and download at home.

I ran across article while using:

http://scholar.google.com

Which is a far more effective search engine that the one my university uses for its database collections. If my university does not have the journal I go down to the University of Minnesota use their public access terminals. If not there (which never happens) I do an interlibrary loan.

Sometimes an article was published in an European journal that is open source, but doesn't come up with the same title or the EU proxy server blocks search queries through USA search engine searches, then I go to a EU ISP and try their search engine.

I have found my favorite journals one of which is "American Anthropologist" or "American Ethnologist" which I had found Oleg Grebor (sp?), Maria Golia, Greggory Starett.

Right now I am trying to find access to SUNY press of online books. Muhammud al-Jabir al-Tabari (sp?) entire translated Abassid empire chronlogy is there. I want it, and bad. If you find a way to access this, I would be your slave. By the way I do windows. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

You muslims have nothing better to do but judge others to only feel good about yourselves

Well, God also said "Tabbat Yaddah Aby Lahbb". How come we still blame Abu Lahabb if he is been damned since eternity [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [/QB]
Zaone your attitude is the same attitude my ex has, which is one of the biggest reasons for our divorce.

It smacks of Wahabism and basically using bias instead of reason and logic, which is un-Islamic.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, God also said "Tabbat Yaddah Aby Lahbb". How come we still blame Abu Lahabb if he is been damned since eternity [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Zaone your attitude is the same attitude my ex has, which is one of the biggest reasons for our divorce.

It smacks of Wahabism and basically using bias instead of reason and logic, which is un-Islamic. [/QB]

Do you even know what I'm talking about here [Roll Eyes]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

You stated that the word Tadhak is translated as Menstruation, at least in Quranic context. I am interested in finding out if that is a fact. For some reason I can not access that first link you posted for sonomod but whatever you quoted from it was not in any way specific..... I'm looking details.

You have the file now in your inbox.

I read the first 23 pages of 29.

The article address the use of the word menstrate in regards to Arab Bedion societal structure, pre-Islamic literature which carried over into cultural attitudes towards female biology.

But the bias is inherent in her article because she claims the Muslim understanding of Sarah's laugh or post-menoupausal fertility is different than Judaism's. But she forgets that the language in which these post-menoupausal fertility in regards to Sarah and Rebeccah's miraclous pregnancy wasn't chronicaled in Hebrew. It was oral history which was transmitted in Aramaic, then written down in pre-Hebrew later on. The connection between laugh and menstrate is cemented into culture through Arabi and Aramaic, Jews were also desert people like the bedion. Their language and cultural bias to female biology is reflected in monotheism and poetic literature, not Jewish cannon is good, Islamic interpretation of Sarah and Rebeccah is bad.

She is off on monotheism bias, but right on the continued linguistic bias.

The author picked on the linguistic pun, but couldn't drop her east vs. west programming. So her logical points get lost in her biases.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It smacks of Wahabism and basically using bias instead of reason and logic, which is un-Islamic.

Do you even know what I'm talking about here [Roll Eyes] [/QB]
Your Muslim, your book is uncorrupted, making you wiser than I.

Christian understanding of God's word is like the menstrating woman. Polluted, defiled and basically the moral equivilant of a hyena.

So you will win every arguement due to this assumption of yours.

No way of discussing anything with you because of your obvious superiority. [Roll Eyes]

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:

No way of discussing anything with you because of your obvious superiority. [Roll Eyes]

Do you know Arabic?
Do you understand what I was quoting there?
You're obviously tormented by your marriage experience. You might be right and the guy was an A Hole.
But before going around labeling everyone, try to get your facts right first [Mad]

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
You might, I say might because I don't know it all, have been victimized by some Arab idiot. You may be an honest giving person who is jaded by too many disappointments, but that doesn't give you the right to continue abusing YOURSELF by making an Ass of thyself madam
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought you knew about this article's content.

While reading this I remembered MK_Uggs or the original MK's going on and on about how western women being hyenas, or at least western women marrying Egyptian men.

I thought you were in on a joke.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
You might, I say might because I don't know it all, have been victimized by some Arab idiot. You may be an honest giving person who is jaded by too many disappointments, but that doesn't give you the right to continue abusing YOURSELF by making an Ass of thyself madam

Due to religious and racial arrogance, I have learned my lesson.

I'll stick to guys born and raised in the west.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life being inferior to the person I married.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Do you know Arabic?
Do you understand what I was quoting there?
You're obviously tormented by your marriage experience. You might be right and the guy was an A Hole.
But before going around labeling everyone, try to get your facts right first [Mad]

I know arabic but I didnt really get what you were trying to say in your response to my long post
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
quote:
Right now I am trying to find access to SUNY press of online books. Muhammud al-Jabir al-Tabari (sp?) entire translated Abassid empire chronlogy is there. I want it, and bad. If you find a way to access this, I would be your slave. By the way I do windows. [Big Grin]

I know it's not what you've wanted... but it's useful, though... [Smile]

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/chronology/index.html (check the Islamic Period)

Talking about Abu Dja'far Mohammed Djarir al-Tabari and his History (Ta'rikh al-rusul wa'l muluk)... you've said you want the entire Abbasid Empire chronology...are these the ones you want? "Cause I need to know what to search for you...

The History of Al-Tabari: The Crisis of the Early Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by Stephen Humphreys.

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXVII: The Abbasid Revolution by John Alden Williams

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXIX: Al-Mansur and al-Mahdi by Hugh Kennedy

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXX: The Abbasid Caliphate in Equilibrium; The Caliphates of Musa al-Hadi and Harun al-Rashid, translated by C. E. Bosworth

The History of Al-Tabari, Vol. XXXII: The Reunification of the Abbasid Caliphate, the Caliphate of Al-Ma Mun A.D. 812-833 by Al-Tabari, translated by C.E. Bosworth.

The History of Al-Tabari, Vol. XXXIII: Storm and Stress Along the Northern Frontiers of the Abbasid Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by C.E. Bosworth.

The Crisis of the Abbasid Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by George Saliba.

The History of Al-Tabari : Abbasid Authority Confirmed by Al-Tabari, translated by Jane Dammen McAuliffe.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I know it's not what you've wanted... but it's useful, though... [Smile]

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/chronology/index.html (check the Islamic Period)

Talking about Abu Dja'far Mohammed Djarir al-Tabari and his History (Ta'rikh al-rusul wa'l muluk)... you've said you want the entire Abbasid Empire chronology...are these the ones you want? "Cause I need to know what to search for you...

The History of Al-Tabari: The Crisis of the Early Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by Stephen Humphreys.

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXVII: The Abbasid Revolution by John Alden Williams

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXIX: Al-Mansur and al-Mahdi by Hugh Kennedy

The History of al-Tabari, Vol. XXX: The Abbasid Caliphate in Equilibrium; The Caliphates of Musa al-Hadi and Harun al-Rashid, translated by C. E. Bosworth

The History of Al-Tabari, Vol. XXXII: The Reunification of the Abbasid Caliphate, the Caliphate of Al-Ma Mun A.D. 812-833 by Al-Tabari, translated by C.E. Bosworth.

The History of Al-Tabari, Vol. XXXIII: Storm and Stress Along the Northern Frontiers of the Abbasid Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by C.E. Bosworth.

The Crisis of the Abbasid Caliphate by Al-Tabari, translated by George Saliba.

The History of Al-Tabari : Abbasid Authority Confirmed by Al-Tabari, translated by Jane Dammen McAuliffe.

Al-Tabari can only speak for the period he was living in, the Abassid period.

And specifically the online SUNY books, which have excellent translations and they don't live out details that are not PC they are pretty darn unbiased in content.

I found 3 SUNY al-Tabari books in the Minneapolis Public Library www.netlibrary.com collection, though there is 22 in the SUNY series.

I'll keep on looking, some organization out there must have the content (online books) and forgot to seal it up with authentication of accounts (login ID and password). Sometimes web admins screw up!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com