EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Mad cows in UK again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mad cows in UK again
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes its been confirmed another outbreak of foot and mouth disease in England again. Must be serious Gordon Brown is returning from his holidays.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly does this disease do?
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to humans. It's endemic in Egypt anyway. Nobody bothers about it. I'm not sure why they panic so much in the UK.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure smuckers I know the human form is CJD, I think its a pretty horrible ilness, leaving the person virtually a vegetable and certain death as there is no cure, the last time it was here, they were saying you couldn't get it from eating beef. I remember some conservative minister feeding his toddler a burger in front of the tv cameras to proof his point! The local agricultural show was today and was going to be missing alot of the cattle because of the ban on moving them.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ That's BSE mad cow disease... not what we're talking about here. There's an outbreak of foot and mouth not BSE...
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh s...t brain not in gear today. Sorry!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
^^ That's BSE mad cow disease... not what we're talking about here. There's an outbreak of foot and mouth not BSE...

Thank god.....someone with a brain....foot and mouth is NOT [/LIST] the same as mad cow disease
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Ok Valerie, I got it wrong and have said I'm sorry [Roll Eyes]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
But if you look at the headline it says Mad cows again in Uk, easy mistake.
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't sweat the small stuff YAH

easy mistake to make considering the heading
[Cool]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Appreciate that, it was a blonde moment!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
foot in mouth moment YAH
down to your tonsils mate
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Some are so tetchy [Eek!]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope this time they don't mass-slaughter all the animals like they did in 2001. Its so unnecessary and appalling to see on TV. [Mad] A lot of my relations in rural areas saw it for real.

The problem in the UK is that they refuse to vaccinate the animals against Foot and Mouth - something to do with EU regulations about beef selling. This doesn't make sense given the amount of other injections and so on that animals get - why single this disease out?

Not only is it unnecessarily cruel to the animals IMHO, but it also devastates the rural economy and many farmers have only just rebuilt their herds after the last lot 6 years ago.

There was research carried out after the last lot showing how vaccination could be used to effectively control the disease so hopefully they will be sensible this time.

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTX031959.html

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:

ignore them and they will move on elsewhere YAH [Wink]

Oldbag
It was so sad to see farmers crying and watching helplessly as their herds were slaughtered en masse.
Hopefully they will have learnt from last time and set up a proper vaccination programme.
Is F and M really rampant in Egypt? [Eek!]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
I just hope this time they don't mass-slaughter all the animals like they did in 2001.

Yes I hope so too. [Frown]

Vaccine lab link to cattle disease

Alan Schofield and Jonathan Leake | August 06, 2007

A LABORATORY that develops vaccines for the Government was yesterday identified as the suspected source of Britain's latest outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease as vets feared the virus may already have spread.

Merial SAS, a private research firm, yesterday agreed to suspend production of a strain of the foot-and-mouth virus it had been using to produce vaccines just 6km from the fields where the outbreak was first detected at Wanborough, near Guildford, southern England.

A cull of at least 60 animals took place on Saturday and animals at a second farm nearby were culled yesterday, government officials confirmed.

Britain banned exports of livestock, meat and milk at the weekend after the outbreak of highly infectious foot-and-mouth disease and halted the movement of cattle, sheep, goats and pigs nationwide to prevent the spread of the virus.

The British Environment Department confirmed yesterday it was investigating the government research centre at Pirbright as a potential source of the outbreak.

The Institute for Animal Health laboratory is a few kilometres from Wanborough and has been running several research programs into foot-and-mouth, some of which have involved handling live virus and testing animals for infectivity.

Merial's production plant is next to the Institute for Animal Health and has been working closely with government scientists to develop and test new vaccines.

Scientists at Merial have admitted to vets from the Environment and Farming Ministry that they had recently produced a batch of vaccines using the same strain as that found in the cattle -- 01 BFS67, isolated in a 1967 outbreak of the disease in Britain.

Britain's chief veterinary officer Debbie Reynolds confirmed the outbreak matched a strain held at the disease-research and vaccine production facilities.

"This is a strain ... that is contained in the Pirbright facility and is associated with vaccine production," Dr Reynolds told Sky News television.

Authorities were investigating biosecurity arrangements at the laboratory site, she said.

But she emphasised investigations were "at a very early stage" and it was too early to say what potential there was for the outbreak to spread.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who returned from his holiday to take control, vowed to work "night and day" to avoid a repeat of a 2001 epidemic when seven million cattle were culled andthe farming industry was devastated.

Mr Brown said he had set up internal inquiries to establish the cause of the disease.

It is understood that one of these inquiries will involve sending a team of scientists into Pirbright to assess its biosecurity protocols and see if there has been any risk of an escape.

A 3km protection zone has been set up in which all animals are subject to vets' inspection. There is also a 10km surveillance zone.

The British countryside almost ground to a standstill over the weekend, with scores of fetes, village fairs and agricultural events cancelled or disrupted because of fears foot-and-mouth was spreading.

The first three herds to be culled are understood to have belonged to Derrick Pride, 78, who runs a farm and shop in Elstead, Surrey.

He was said by friends to be "devastated". Sixty of his cattle were slaughtered.

Yesterday precautionary culling of dozens of animals was taking place on neighbouring farms.

Dr Reynolds confirmed that she was considering using vaccinations to contain the disease, should it spread.

In 2001 the Government's decision to use wholesale slaughter rather than vaccination provoked widespread public unease.

It took the decision to slaughter because farmers had told the Government that they would be unable to sell animals that had been vaccinated as consumers would reject their meat as "tainted".

Since then, however, the Food Standards Agency has made it clear that there is no scientific objection to meat from vaccinated animals entering the food chain.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22194502-30417,00.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:

You mean me? I'm one of the gentlest around here! [Smile]
You need to toughen up if you're to survive ES, though anyone with 'heart' or 'love' in their username is sure to be on the sensitive side. [Razz]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Is your name Valerie? I apoligised to you for my mistake. She made the comment about "thank god someone with a brain" to you, referring to my mistake. I'm strong believe me [Wink]
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 13 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still more? I thought UK has managed to send all their 'mad cows' to Egypt already!!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com