EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » my egyptian boyfriend isn't that affectionate..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my egyptian boyfriend isn't that affectionate..
confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedusgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an American with a wonderful Egyptian boyfriend. He is amazing and redefines everything I have come to expect in men. My only question is in regards to his displays of affection. I am wondering if this is cultural, or just something with him. His actions say that he is committed to me, I am just wondering if maybe his cultural beliefs keep him from being as affectionate as I am used to.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Posts: 7 | From: los angeles, ca usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he wants to have an honest relationship with you, he will show his honest feelings.

If he is getting your financial support, he will do anything you want. Any man from any culture would.

But Egyptian culture won't show romantic/sexual affection in public. Men and women even spouses don't cuddle in pubic.

In the west though, it can be normal. It depends how long he has been here and how acclimated he is to western society.

Don't freak out, if he gets his freak out in private with you. Thats what actually matters.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedusgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the insight. I am not supporting him, in fact he makes more money than I do. I am just used to men that are more touchy, but his strong sense of self and being a man of his word make up for that. Plus he is very expressive when we are in private. I guess that evens everything out.
thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
If he wants to have an honest relationship with you, he will show his honest feelings.

If he is getting your financial support, he will do anything you want. Any man from any culture would.

But Egyptian culture won't show romantic/sexual affection in public. Men and women even spouses don't cuddle in pubic.

In the west though, it can be normal. It depends how long he has been here and how acclimated he is to western society.

Don't freak out, if he gets his freak out in private with you. Thats what actually matters.

Posts: 7 | From: los angeles, ca usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by confusedusgirl:
but his strong sense of self and being a man of his word make up for that. Plus he is very expressive when we are in private.

What can a woman ask more for? Good luck for you both!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confused, take the word of Sonomod, she is completely correct.
Egyptian men, if they have respect for their woman, will not show affection in public...it's only done by disrespectful men( here in Hurghada, anyway..) Here it means... Look guys,I've good a tourist to **** !)
If a muslim guy respects a woman, he will be VERRRRRYYY affectionate in private, but definitely not in the street!!
So...congratulations.. you've got a respectful man!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Apart from the fact that he is doing it outside marriage! To show full respect for a woman an Egyptian man would wait until after they were married to show any affection.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Wow. All of your replies help me so much. But I am wondering, should our relantionship progress, will his family not like me instantly because I am not Muslim? I do not know much about the religion, but what I do know, I repect. I would consider converting to be with him, but I wonder if my not being born a Muslim will make it always an issue. His parents live here in the States as well, but are very traditional. I am Lakota Indian myself, so I am not Christian, but I do have beliefs that I have grown up with. However, we are taught that when you marry, the man leads the family, as does his faith. Would I have to renounce mine completely?
Again thanks for all of your replies! And you are right. He is such a good man!

quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Confused, take the word of Sonomod, she is completely correct.
Egyptian men, if they have respect for their woman, will not show affection in public...it's only done by disrespectful men( here in Hurghada, anyway..) Here it means... Look guys,I've good a tourist to **** !)
If a muslim guy respects a woman, he will be VERRRRRYYY affectionate in private, but definitely not in the street!!
So...congratulations.. you've got a respectful man!!

confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Yes newcomer, I am aware that we should of waited until marriage.

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
...Apart from the fact that he is doing it outside marriage! To show full respect for a woman an Egyptian man would wait until after they were married to show any affection.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow. All of your replies help me so much. But I am wondering, should our relantionship progress, will his family not like me instantly because I am not Muslim? I do not know much about the religion, but what I do know, I repect. I would consider converting to be with him, but I wonder if my not being born a Muslim will make it always an issue. His parents live here in the States as well, but are very traditional. I am Lakota Indian myself, so I am not Christian, but I do have beliefs that I have grown up with. However, we are taught that when you marry, the man leads the family, as does his faith. Would I have to renounce mine completely?

IMHO you should never convert because of a man but because you believe in the faith. Only your boyfriend can tell you whether his famiy will be OK or not. You can not genralise about this.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am Lutheran (Prostestant) and my hubby pushed like crazy for the first year to get me to convert. Then someone wise told him it would only push me in te opposite direction. He was right.

And whether or not his family will accept you. It really depends. If they are educated and live in a urban area, let alone take their faith seriously (I mean actually reading the Quran for themselves, not fatwas or audiocassette recordings) then you might have a chance.

About 2 decades ago when Arabs came to the west in droves a Muslim man would accept just about anything. They grew up in the hippy 60's. And at that time with the civil rights movement and feminism coming about, Arabs had a very warm acceptance of western society. But after so many terrorism and regime changes in the Arab/Muslim world, the west started to notice the Arab/Muslim world in a negative light. Both sides fed off of half-truths and evil stereotypes. So young Arab/Muslim men now want to hold onto their culture and faith more than ever.

Second prong of this is, the west (especially USA) demands less assimulation. We can respect an immigrant to hold onto their culture and faith more than 50 years ago. There are laws to protect expresssion of culture and practices of faith that were never there before.

So I see a difference between a Muslim Egyptian man who has been here for 25 years. He drinks in bars, his wife raises his kids Christian, he doesn't eat pork though, he is very secular and doesn't pray. But he does have an open mind, and is much more true to Allah in ways the younger generation coming to the west could never grasp. My husband is almost the total opposite. Watching these two knock heads and be forced to work together I find many opportunities to point out how he can be an American while remaining an ardent Egyptian and modern Muslim.

Being educated on his culture and his faith, while trying to find similarities between the two, while respecting the differences (don't pay homeage to the differences, it bothers him more than you). After due time my husband will come home and ask questions of the bible and christian doctrine in order to find out what is Wahabism and what is the fact.

Takes time. Arab men fall harder and demand far more. But its nice not to have the demands of a western man who wants the 'perfect wife' in order to serve on a serving dish to society. Nice to feel comfortable in your own skin and be a bit closed off from what you grew up with, it gives you room to be your own.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Thanks so so much sonomod...your response helps greatly!

[/B][/QUOTE]

JOSHUA
Member # 4946

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSHUA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ever u do u have to do ur homework about what u r going to convert to....because once u convert to Islam ...there is no way back...you will be killed if u change ur mind later....this is there in their book...be careful and be out of harm's way. good luck.

check this, this might help.... http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum10/HTML/000176.html

quote:

[This message has been edited by JOSHUA (edited 14 March 2005).]

Posts: 321 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi confusedusgirl!

Although Joshsua is scaremongering as usual, he does have a point in that taking the decision to become a Muslim is a serious one. Its a committment that has to be done wholeheartedly and with full understanding of the committment you are making, its not something to be done on paper just to get married. Islam is a way of life, not just "something you do on Sundays" and you need to truly believe in it before you decide to accept it.

It is possible to marry a Muslim man if you are a non-Muslim woman, but you would have to be a Christian or Jew, i.e. believe in the same God who later revealed the religion of Islam.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkmagic
Member # 4789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkmagic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must never convert for someone else, only if you believe strongly it is the right thing to do for yourself.
I have been married to a Muslim man for nearly 8 years and am Christian. He accepts me and so does his family.
Of course you should educate yourself about Islam so you can understand him and his family better but never convert just for him. I have seen many women convert for men and not because they believe Islam with their heart and soul and this is wrong. He will accept you for what you are if he is worth anything.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nohurry
Member # 7666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nohurry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I converted to Islam and married a Muslim man. But sometimes I felt depressed to live with him although he is a good man.

Please try to understand more and more about him and the religion, and especially his expectation about your conduct in the future.

If you really want to marry him, my suggestion is to keep your present religion for the time being if you are a Christian. You can convert later after at least two to three years study of the religion.

If he insists that you should convert before marriage, it's better to give him up no matter how wonderful he appeals to you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just do your homework.

Perhaps this man is God's way of leading you to Islam? I'm not saying it is and I'm not saying it isn't. But you should not ignore facts.

I was Christian previously (American born) and converted to Islam and have never been happier. It isn't for everyone, but then again, neither is Christianity or Judism.

But for sure don't do it just for him. Otherwise you will end up regretting it and resenting him. That isn't fair either way.

Also, be careful in this, once you have learned about Islam and you choose not to accept the words of God (Allah), it is forever (as we believe) branded within you that you ignored the words of God.

You will find many similiarities in Islam that you find in Christianity, stories you have known from the Bible are almost identicial within the Qu'ran and some practices and beliefs. It is not all that different once you start learning.

If you are interested, let me know and I will be happy to send you a copy of the meaning of the Quran (in English) my treat where ever you are. Just let me know.

Best of luck to you either way.
Salaam.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 19 May 2005).]

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nooralhaq,

Would you be willing to send me a copy of the meaning of the Quran (in English)? I am very interested in learning more about it and the similarities between Islam and Christianity.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gail,

it would be my pleasure.
if you shoot me your email address I'll contact you privately that way.

Take care.

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 21 May 2005).]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
nooralhaq,

Would you be willing to send me a copy of the meaning of the Quran (in English)? I am very interested in learning more about it and the similarities between Islam and Christianity.

Hate to bud in here,
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2800 http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3434 http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7440

Is the Koran in english and this is a study guide:
http://www.bibliomania.com/4/-/frameset.html?info=true&queryText=Quran

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
nooralhaq,
Thanks!

I can probably mail it out to you Monday or so Gail. Enjoy, and take care.

Salaam.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 23 May 2005).]

Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nooralhaq,
Thanks for e-mailing me the information. Could you take a moment to delete my e-mail address from your last post? Thank you.

sonomod,
Thank you for providing the web sites. I don't consider it butting in. It was thoughtful of you to help me out.

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
nooralhaq,
Thanks for e-mailing me the information. Could you take a moment to delete my e-mail address from your last post? Thank you.

sonomod,
Thank you for providing the web sites. I don't consider it butting in. It was thoughtful of you to help me out.

Gail, it's done.
You're welcome, I just put it into the mail to you this morning. Inshallah you will receive it Wednesday.
Take care my friend.

Gail
Member # 6886

nooralhaq,
Thank you for taking so much of your time to respond to my requests. Hopefully, I can repay the favor at some time. Peace.

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
No, not at all. It is my gift.
Good luck.
Salaam.

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:
No, not at all. It is my gift.
Good luck.
Salaam.

Gail, did you get the book yet?
Noor.

Gail
Member # 6886

noor,
Yes! I got it on Wednesday, but I'm walking around in a fog right now. My apologies for not letting you know.

I feel bad because for some reason I thought it was a smaller, pamphlet-type book and not a regular sized book. Did you buy this at my request? Please tell me because I want to pay for it. You spent a lot of money for postage as well. If I had known what the expense would be, I would not have asked (my mother taught us never to do that). You are awesome!!

Also, I want to take the time to thank you for your advice about my "boyfriend." I have taken it and have not contacted him (although he has contacted me). And thanks for offering your e-mail in case I need to talk more. With the help of my family, my friends around home, and my EgyptSearch friends, I am feeling better. I know that it's not the most devastating thing that can happen to a person, but it certainly tore the wind from my sails.

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
noor,
Yes! I got it on Wednesday, but I'm walking around in a fog right now. My apologies for not letting you know.

I feel bad because for some reason I thought it was a smaller, pamphlet-type book and not a regular sized book. Did you buy this at my request? Please tell me because I want to pay for it. You spent a lot of money for postage as well. If I had known what the expense would be, I would not have asked (my mother taught us never to do that). You are awesome!!

Also, I want to take the time to thank you for your advice about my "boyfriend." I have taken it and have not contacted him (although he has contacted me). And thanks for offering your e-mail in case I need to talk more. With the help of my family, my friends around home, and my EgyptSearch friends, I am feeling better. I know that it's not the most devastating thing that can happen to a person, but it certainly tore the wind from my sails.

Gail, thanks to God you received it!
I would not dream of taking money from you, enjoy it when you get the chance!

I'm so happy you're starting to feel better Gail! You have been on my mind.
Salaam.

LindseyRN
Member # 7832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindseyRN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an American emergency nurse who has most recently been in a serious relationship with a very attractive Egytian doctor. I also am a very touchy, feely person and have noticed so loud and clear that he displays absolutely no affection at all. None is public and some at home, lots during sex, of course. This is something that I'm having such a hard time with. I even asked him if it was part of his culture and he said no and that he would try harder and that he knew he was disappointing me. I'm lost. He sounds so sincere, after having this conversation several times he has not shown be any change with this. It makes me feel sorta like I'm trash and that he isn't taking my feelings into consideration at all. Please help me understand. He tells me that he hasn't been in a serious relationship at all really and that he's used to being single. But, my thoughts are that if he was really into me and and cared about me he would show me. He never calls when he says he will, i mean like hours late, if ever. I wonder at times if I didn't call him how long it would take for him to contact me........probably days! I'm beginning to wonder if "if it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck" would be applicable here, meaning that he doesn't call and show me affection because he's really not that into me. That's a hard pill to swallow
Posts: 13 | From: Jefferson City, MO USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRN:
I am an American emergency nurse who has most recently been in a serious relationship with a very attractive Egytian doctor. I also am a very touchy, feely person and have noticed so loud and clear that he displays absolutely no affection at all. None is public and some at home, lots during sex, of course. This is something that I'm having such a hard time with. I even asked him if it was part of his culture and he said no and that he would try harder and that he knew he was disappointing me. I'm lost. He sounds so sincere, after having this conversation several times he has not shown be any change with this. It makes me feel sorta like I'm trash and that he isn't taking my feelings into consideration at all. Please help me understand. He tells me that he hasn't been in a serious relationship at all really and that he's used to being single. But, my thoughts are that if he was really into me and and cared about me he would show me. He never calls when he says he will, i mean like hours late, if ever. I wonder at times if I didn't call him how long it would take for him to contact me........probably days! I'm beginning to wonder if "if it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck" would be applicable here, meaning that he doesn't call and show me affection because he's really not that into me. That's a hard pill to swallow

I am suprised to here you say that he denied it was part of his culture. You would never see public displays of affection between an Egyptian married couple and even in the home it would only be if they were alone. Modesty is a very Arabic/Muslim trait and quite charming. As long as he is affectionate in private that is normal. As to whether he cares for you, only time will answer this question. Try the web site www.marriedtoanarab.com for more help and advice about Egyptian culture.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lindsey,

I do think it has indeed nothing to do with culture. I mean, you will find people like that in every country, unfortunately. But since it's so important to you, tell him you can't stand with his behavior anymore, that he really has to make efforts. You're not going to stay with someone who makes you suffer like this. And not calling when he's late or when he says he will is not a matter of showing or not affection, it's a matter of being rude or not. You deserve much better than that. Tell him again, very clearly, how important this affection side is to you, and then see if he really cares. And why not trying not to call him for a while? I know, it's very hard to do, but believe me, it works really well! It will help you see your situation clearer too.

One more thing to take in consideration is the fact he may feel guilty. I think you are not married aren't you? You know premarital relations are forbidden in our religion. What are your plans for the future? Maybe he will show more affection the day he is married. Just make sure you are the one he wants to marry...

Wish you the best

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I am suprised to here you say that he denied it was part of his culture. You would never see public displays of affection between an Egyptian married couple and even in the home it would only be if they were alone. Modesty is a very Arabic/Muslim trait and quite charming. As long as he is affectionate in private that is normal. As to whether he cares for you, only time will answer this question. Try the web site www.marriedtoanarab.com for more help and advice about Egyptian culture.

If he is an Egyptian outside of the southern region (Not Saadi) then public display of affection are not mainstream acceptable behavior but it does happen. Take for instance Montazah Palace Beach and the corniche in both Alexandria Med. coast and Cairo along the Nile. Its just not in your face like the west they choose the time and place where they can get away with it.

Being that its post 9/11 and how Egypt deals with catastrophic illness/injury and how the west springs into action during a crisis he might be having trouble adjusting to the differences in how emergency health care is dispatched. Plus he might be osctricized in ways that are very evident. If doctors are going to give each other a difficult time they will be much more concealed, making the pain even worse. I have worked in health care for 2 years, prejudice is being protected as an American right and privilage, not many show compassion towards foreign doctors any more.

Plus you are forgetting that fornication, or adultry is considered sinful to the extreme to Arabs Christian or Muslim. So the possiblity of him feeling remorse and guilt is a huge thing to consider. Plus being a doctor he might be expected to marry someone handpicked from home or at least someone that would increase his family's social status. I dated a doctor from Pakistan and though the cultures are different the socail expectations are similar.

My brother-in-law is a pharmacist/doctor and when he announced his engagement all hell broke lose. Father in law spent 2 months living with his parents in the village and wouldn't come home until his son announced he was going to marry a female doctor, not a English teacher. Luckily I am his favorite daughter-in-law who managed to talk dad out of demanding my own husband finish medical school so I let him know he was embarassing and behaving like an ass. Male doctors are expected to marry up or marry a female doctor, its the platinum card status of marriage suitors and women cannot marry down, but a man can, if he does its really not okay.

Mind you keep this in mind, it might not be even close to whats going on in his mind, but discussing it might just make it worse. Observe!

Here's a book I read about 2 years ago that really helped:

Understanding Arabs: A Guide for Westerners

Margaret K. Omar Nydell

Product Details:
ISBN: 1877864153
Format: Paperback, 264pp
Pub. Date: October 2002
Publisher: Intercultural Press
Edition Description: 3RD
Edition Number: 3
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 26,211
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=u56JSEVBKg&isbn=1877864153&TXT=Y&itm=5

And that www.marriedtoanarab.com is a complete joke of a site. Very little has to do with Egyptian customs and manners. At least the book above notes that particular customs and manners are unique to certain nationalities and communities.

But hey he might surprise you and instantly ask you to marry him. Usually Muslims when in physical relationships bring up marriage quickly, if you don't take him seriously or if you demand to take it slow while continuing to enjoy a physical relationship he might think you are sleazy. Its a catch 22, sometimes the marriage proposal is to applease their guilt sometimes he really does want to get married without the complications of traditional courtship. Traditional Egyptian courtship is more dramatic than any Shakspearian play.

Good luck, things will change completely in a minute, and sex with love can be a massively exhausting courtship with Arabs. Start taking your multi-vitamin now.

Oh and have a good relationship with your mother or fake it, it can make all the difference. Mother like daughter to the extreme.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by RaniaMe:
Dear Lindsey,

And not calling when he's late or when he says he will is not a matter of showing or not affection, it's a matter of being rude or not.

Its not considered rude to be a few hours late or not calling. That is a western custom to be ontime and call when not going to show up.

Why do you think Arabs/Egyptians are going to have the same attitude towards time and appointments that westerns do?

And in the medical profession being tardy is no big deal for a doctor, except when its with his superiors. Then you know he's having a hard time acclimating. I've seen it, it takes foreigners a long time in the medical profession to deal with the 'time factor'.

And of course women are expected to be accomodating and forgiving, so demanding this might actually create massive problems on top of the 'time factor' at work. Women are expected to be a man's oasis of stress-free environment. At least in courtship.

Gail
Member # 6886

LindseyRN - I'd like to offer some insight if I may. I have done A LOT of research... some with the help of my friends here at EgyptSearch and have also personally observed some of the behavior you are describing in my own "relationship" with an Egyptian guy. (I hesitate to say boyfriend at this point - long story.)

Anyway, the guy I'm seeing is not comfortable with public displays of affection. And I respect that completely. Think about it. If that's the way he was brought up, it isn't something that he will be able to change easily. Try to see things through his eyes. I wouldn't be offended unless he outright shuns you.

He is, however, extremely affectionate and caring when we're alone.

As for the calling when he says... this is one of my pet peeves. He will often say, "I'll call you later," which to me has ALWAYS meant later THAT DAY. To him it means later that day or the next day... I asked a couple of my male friends about it and they said that when they say it (and they're American, so it's not necessarily cultural) they mean what my guy means. Who knew? I've stopped getting upset by that. You have to pick your battles as they say.

Decide what's important to you. Can you live with these things? or are they deal breakers?

RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who told you Egyptians are always late? Strange idea. When you are late, you call, that's all. Maybe not in your Egyptian family, but in mine yes, and all my friends, and everyone do the same. Yes, you can be late, like anywhere else, but you call to say it. Nothing cultural in that.

But you're very right concerning doctors who have to marry someone from the same or a higher social class. I was a little shy to tell Lindsey about this, but she has to know it.

You mentionned the fact he may feel guilty, I said exactly the same a little earlier, and am 100% sure that this lack of affection is hiding something quite sad...Lindsey, talk to him and make sure that both of you are looking in the same direction for the future.

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonomod,
I'm so glad to hear you say that this sense of urgency when it comes to time is a Western thing. It explains so much!! Here in the states, at least on the East (where I live) and West coasts, people are always rushing around and living life at a fast pace. But in the Southern part of the US, life is lived at a very slow pace. People aren't slaves to the clock.

This is a valuable lesson for me to learn. I got upset a couple weeks ago because he said he would call me in thirty minutes and almost three hours went by! Now I understand.

One question though... why does he wear a watch if he's going to ignore it?

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
sonomod,
I'm so glad to hear you say that this sense of urgency when it comes to time is a Western thing. It explains so much!! Here in the states, at least on the East (where I live) and West coasts, people are always rushing around and living life at a fast pace. But in the Southern part of the US, life is lived at a very slow pace. People aren't slaves to the clock.

This is a valuable lesson for me to learn. I got upset a couple weeks ago because he said he would call me in thirty minutes and almost three hours went by! Now I understand.

One question though... why does he wear a watch if he's going to ignore it?

oooh I'm going to have to disagree with you.
I'm from Dallas and have been to the East Coast, West Coast, North, Midwest, other Southern states, believe you me, we are just as anal about rushing around and being on time as the next person. We consider it rude if someone is more than 10-15 minutes late.

HOwever, I have always heard Arabs in general are late, not that it is a bad thing, but just that it isn't frowned upon in their countries (punctuality). Personally, if someone is more than 20-30 minutes late, I leave on purpose.

Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
noor,
Okay. It's good to hear different perceptions. I guess we shouldn't generalize. For two years I dated a guy from Austin, Texas and this was never an issue. Maybe it is simply based on how a person is raised.

Gail
Member # 6886

noor,

I asked my friend what noor means and he said "light." What does your entire username mean? just curious.

LindseyRN
Member # 7832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindseyRN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Reading this makes me really think that it is cultural. I really do think so after reading all these great responses. I have asked him a couple of times if this behavior is related to his culture and he adamently denies it......"Oh, no, no, no" Then he will follow that up with "I promise I will try to behave better." If i make any mention in the slightest that i feel that possibly he isn't all that into dating me, he actually gets defensive and sort've even gets panicky when i mention that it may be best for us to part ways (i've suggested that once). He will respond that he absolutely does not want to break up and that he truly cares about me and tells me repeatedly and reassuredly that he will make a much stronger effort to show his emotions. He got very uneasy with my mention of breaking up. He begged me not to do that, "don't leave me" and "i had such a lonely life before i met you, you have made me feel so good about myself, i am happy now, i smile all the time." And, i do truly think that he is geniune in what he tells me. We get along great and laugh 'til we cry when we are together. I have never, ever came even close to feeling so capatible with someone before. And, even when i have brought up these issues with him, it's not in anyway a bitter approach, it's always been very sincere. I honestly can't picture myself ever arguing with him. Our communication is good and open. I will bring it up to in a nonwhining, caring, sorta joking, yet he knows i mean business manner. For instance, i will say, "Honey, I need you to explain to me how a highly-educated man of your caliber cannot remember to make a simple phone call when you say you will. I'm concerned that you may need to be evaluated by a neurologist to get a check-up from the neck-up." He laughs and genuinely is sorry and apologizes for it. He acts like a innocent little boy who doesn't realize that what he is doing is odd, per se. When i ask him how he would feel if i did that to him, he admits that he should've done what he failed to do and reinforces to me that he is going to try to be better. He just a little squirrel. And after i read all of the great insight on here, it seems so clear to me that i honestly don't think he really knows any better. In fact, i never called me today at all. Usually i call him on the road in the morning on my way to work, but i didn't this time. Surprisingly he called me four times today, for no other reason than to see how my day was going. I just knew he had it in him

Posts: 13 | From: Jefferson City, MO USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindseyRN
Member # 7832

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
If he is an Egyptian outside of the southern region (Not Saadi) then public display of affection are not mainstream acceptable behavior but it does happen. Take for instance Montazah Palace Beach and the corniche in both Alexandria Med. coast and Cairo along the Nile. Its just not in your face like the west they choose the time and place where they can get away with it.

Being that its post 9/11 and how Egypt deals with catastrophic illness/injury and how the west springs into action during a crisis he might be having trouble adjusting to the differences in how emergency health care is dispatched. Plus he might be osctricized in ways that are very evident. If doctors are going to give each other a difficult time they will be much more concealed, making the pain even worse. I have worked in health care for 2 years, prejudice is being protected as an American right and privilage, not many show compassion towards foreign doctors any more.

Plus you are forgetting that fornication, or adultry is considered sinful to the extreme to Arabs Christian or Muslim. So the possiblity of him feeling remorse and guilt is a huge thing to consider. Plus being a doctor he might be expected to marry someone handpicked from home or at least someone that would increase his family's social status. I dated a doctor from Pakistan and though the cultures are different the socail expectations are similar.

My brother-in-law is a pharmacist/doctor and when he announced his engagement all hell broke lose. Father in law spent 2 months living with his parents in the village and wouldn't come home until his son announced he was going to marry a female doctor, not a English teacher. Luckily I am his favorite daughter-in-law who managed to talk dad out of demanding my own husband finish medical school so I let him know he was embarassing and behaving like an ass. Male doctors are expected to marry up or marry a female doctor, its the platinum card status of marriage suitors and women cannot marry down, but a man can, if he does its really not okay.

Mind you keep this in mind, it might not be even close to whats going on in his mind, but discussing it might just make it worse. Observe!

Here's a book I read about 2 years ago that really helped:

Understanding Arabs: A Guide for Westerners

Margaret K. Omar Nydell

Product Details:
ISBN: 1877864153
Format: Paperback, 264pp
Pub. Date: October 2002
Publisher: Intercultural Press
Edition Description: 3RD
Edition Number: 3
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 26,211
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=u5 6JSEVBKg&isbn=1877864153&TXT=Y&itm=5

And that www.marriedtoanarab.com is a complete joke of a site. Very little has to do with Egyptian customs and manners. At least the book above notes that particular customs and manners are unique to certain nationalities and communities.

But hey he might surprise you and instantly ask you to marry him. Usually Muslims when in physical relationships bring up marriage quickly, if you don't take him seriously or if you demand to take it slow while continuing to enjoy a physical relationship he might think you are sleazy. Its a catch 22, sometimes the marriage proposal is to applease their guilt sometimes he really does want to get married without the complications of traditional courtship. Traditional Egyptian courtship is more dramatic than any Shakspearian play.

Good luck, things will change completely in a minute, and sex with love can be a massively exhausting courtship with Arabs. Start taking your multi-vitamin now.

Oh and have a good relationship with your mother or fake it, it can make all the difference. Mother like daughter to the extreme.

LOL........I am so intrigued by all you wrote. Any advice/input is very welcome! Gosh, i dunno we certainly have a gigantuous physical attraction goin' on, that's fur sur . He wants to have phone sex with me all the time if we can't be together. He thought it crazy when i first suggested it to him when he told me that he gets an immediate erection every time he hears my voice on the phone..........I sure have no reason to believe that i'm not at his social level. But, i could certainly be wrong! He has made it clear to me that what he wants in life is to be married and have 2 chldren..........OH, gotta run for now, will sign back on soon, he is ringing me on the phone. Keep insight coming....I love it!

confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
thanks to everyone for the insight shared. I have come to the conclusion that we are not for each other at this point in time. I was raised in a very emotional expressive family ( Lakota Indian culture) and it seems as if everything about us clashed. He thought I was too demanding, I thought him to removed. Culture is the same in what the expecations are for women, yet he still found me not supportive enough. I have come to the conclusion that while he was dating women outside of his religion, somehwhere in the back of his mind, he was most comfortable with someone from a background similar to his and was subconsiously breaking the relationship.
Thanks again. I will say that dating a man of such depth of charater will make it very hard to date an ordinary man.

LindseyRN
Member # 7832

Rate Member
quote:
thanks to everyone for the insight shared. I have come to the conclusion that we are not for each other at this point in time. I was raised in a very emotional expressive family ( Lakota Indian culture) and it seems as if everything about us clashed. He thought I was too demanding, I thought him to removed. Culture is the same in what the expecations are for women, yet he still found me not supportive enough. I have come to the conclusion that while he was dating women outside of his religion, somehwhere in the back of his mind, he was most comfortable with someone from a background similar to his and was subconsiously breaking the relationship.
Thanks again. I will say that dating a man of such depth of charater will make it very hard to date an ordinary man.

Anytime that a relationship ends, someone gets hurt. There just is no such thing as a painless seperation. I do hope you are doing ok.......I was so driven to post a reply on this topic because i felt like the concerns you had in your relationship were a mirror image of what i was feeling inside. I was relieved in a way to hear that someone else in this world was having the exact same problem that i was having. I hope you didn't have to 'waste' too much of your valuable time before discovering that he wasn't plugged in to the relationship. And, I have to tell you that my instincts are usually right on the money, which i frequently refuse to believe until it's after the fact, and i do have this little uneasy feeling about the man i'm dating. It seems to always hold true that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is. That is my underlying feeling about about my relationship. Almost as if any day now i'm going to get this huge surprise of some sort and have my feelings hurt so bad, left feeling frustrated at myself that i was blinded when it was all so clear from the git go and i simply refused to take off those rose-colored glasses. I am going to be as patient as i can be with his lack of affection, for now. But, the problem is that i am such an affectionate person, like yourself, and i do need that in return. When i don't get it i feel unwanted and rejected. So, my prediction is that (and i pray that i am way wrong about this) i will finally have a belly full of his lack of attentiveness and decide i absolutely will not be able to ever, ever, get used to it. I only hope that i keep a clear focus and am able to make that decision sooner than later so i can save myself the pain of a huge heartache. I think that what it gets down to is that life is so, so short and i won't settle for a half-baked relationship. We all deserve to be so happy and people that supposedly love us shouldn't be the reason we cry ourselves to sleep at night. Let's face it, we are going to be dead a whole lot longer than we're alive, so don't ever lower your standards and settle for second best. Life is way too short. Keep your head held high with a huge smile on your face and say "Next."

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Confusedusgirl: you made the best out of not so good. Your reasoning and decision to move on is right on target. Man (but not every one! LOL) is usually less affectionate and 'dramatic' than a woman, which of course does not make him any less of a person she is. The problem is if they are able to 'meet somewhere in the middle' which I would call an emotional compromise ability. You have an excellent way of seeing things for what they are, and you know your emotional needs are out of a 'compromise range'. Very mature attitude: if more people had it, the world would be much less of a Drama Queen Kingdom than it is.

Ps. I have to admit I have been a faithful Chamber Maid of Her Highness for most of my life.... Sigh.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
About the time issue, my husband goes to a barber who's from Morroco. Since he can handle kinky hair, not so much afrolushious, every North African male goes to him to have their hair trimmed or cut. Naturally they expect appointments to be set because this is after all America. But he shows up 15 minutes early and then waits 4 hours to have his hair cut. Meanwhile he doesn't seem to notice that time is flying by because only one person is getting his hair trimmed while 25 guys are hanging out and chatting it up. I have called him on his cell phone to see if he wasn't in a car wreck. Well it sounded like a car wreck, all 25 people chatting away with two stereo's booming Arab and rap music in the background. Just like home.

So as you can see it is in their nature to pretend like there isn't cultural differences, but then act upon their cultural habits.

And my husband isn't affectionate much at all, its his nature to be reserved. But if I don't refer to him as tall, handsome and crabby at least twice a day he starts to scowl at me and demand to know why I am angry at him.

So he's a late alot, not intentionally, and he likes to pretend that he doesn't enjoy flattery and then gets pissed off when I don't keep that flattery coming. He's not your average Egyptian he lives in daily pain from a dislocating shoulder that doctors are skeptical about doing surgery on. So this personally is dictated by the level of pain he is in. Other wise its dictated by how many people call him a 'terrorist' on any given shift at work.

Being Arab in America right now isn't pleasant. And I see Arabs trying much more vigorously to seclude into their community and preserve their cultural traditions while becoming more socailly conservative. But this is a different state and things are going haywire here in so many different ethnic communities anyway.

Patience, dating is always the best part of the relationship, and usually the shortest. LindseyRN sounds like you're growing on him and he could possibly be discussing you daily with his mother. Boys always heavily discuss possible marriage partners with mom before leaping into marriage.

confusedusgirl
Member # 6934

Rate Member
Reading all of your responses is like looking inside my non ex boyfriend's brain and family without asking. I wont lie and say that it is not very painful. But I can't change who I am any more than he can. I have learned alot,both from him and this relationship as a whole.
Good luck to all of you with your lives, and may the wind always be in your hair.

tracey2BNegypt
Member # 7792

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracey2BNegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
noor-

i would also be very interested in getting the meaning of the koran in english- my email is listed- thanks so much

Posts: 27 | From: new jersey, usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracey2BNegypt
Member # 7792

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracey2BNegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to lindsey rn-

i dont want to generalize all egyptian men cause everyone is their own person, but i know that with my fiance the time thing became a big issue. in america, as u know- if u say u will do something at a certain time- then u better do it unless u have a good excuse not to. when i first met my fiance, he would say- ill meet you at this time (on the computer) and show up like an hour or two late and wonder why i was upset. however, i have to say i am so blessed because he saw how this upset me and he has made such an amazing effort to be on time or even early. he told me that the time thing is not that big a deal there. like i said- i dont want to generalize all egyptians- so anyone reading this- please dont take offense- i am just saying what i have experienced.

quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRN:

Posts: 27 | From: new jersey, usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Streelergirl
Member # 8143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Streelergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. After reading this thread, I feel compelled to throw in my own two cents.. First of all, to Lindsay, I think we must be dating the same man! Let's see, my Egy b/f said he would call me back when he finished work at
2:30am.. that was almost 24 hours ago.. but i've learned to be patient, that is for sure, because there is no other way. Oh, he will call.. and there will be no reference to the delay in calling, nor would he think it rude if i pointed it out to him.. so I don't point it out anymore. The way I see it, dealing with these minor cultural differences helps better prepare me for the more challenging ones.
On the subject of displays of public affection.. I don't complain because the trade-off is immeasurable.. meaning.. that in private; the display is off the hook.. the only problem with that of course is the over the top guilt he experiences for partaking in 'pre-marital relations'..
Well, I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do love him and I have to agree with the Lakota sister that it would take some adjusting moving on to a new relationship with a non-Egyptian man. That much, I know I'm not ready for.
I loved reading all of the posts. I find it to be very supportive. Thanks

Posts: 1 | From: Port Jefferson, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, people here, if you write things like "displays absolutely no affection" or "is not affectionate" then what exaclty do you mean, what kind of behaviour it is that you expect? Because am I missing something in mine that I even do not know to expect? Which must mean that also women have culturally (or, of course, personally) different expectations and understanding of "affectionate" and you maybe simply expect something that a western man does or your previous boyfriend did (who in his turn does not do the things the Egyptian man does :)), it is usually difficult to find a package that contains ALL one's dreams (or what?)

Otherwise, if you mean that you are living together simply like two roommates who are also having hot sex but that's about all that connects you, then isn't it just a convenience relationship maybe? I did not know Egyptians are capable of one, they seem so craving for emotions, but maybe a different culture (i.e. when they live somewhere in the West) reconditions them, too?

Because if he loves you, if he is crazy about you, how can he then be indifferent in his behaviour? And it is one or the other, I believe. My boyfriend sometimes hates me, but he even hates me passionately, and I even love him hate me because you know it must really be deep love if you cannot help it even against things that make you mad :). I just need to feel him and I automatically think "oh, it probably isn't so important at all" and I forgive him, and it seems that he does the same. It's the best relationship roller-coaster I've been in, really, am enjoying every moment of it, because he loves me but stands his own and it is so rare among men I think. Though he is just so horrible, he tickles me, it's just the most horrible thing I know, and then we have these water fights with cold water (as cold as it gets in Egypt :) but he is coming to my country soon, ho-hum..hum..hummm.. :), I almost hold my own in these. All-in-all I feel I'm with big strong very kind being who also has a most amusing strong temper and really how much excitement can one even expect from a relationship?? considering my main previous complaint was that men in my country are so boring if they are trustworthy, while if they are not boring they are not trustworthy either. And they are not fun of the playful kind. Now I'm all satisfied and over.

(Writing it just for mutual exchange of experience, my dears, not for boasting, or OK maybe just a tiny little bit :) because am really really so happy partly also because I've always believed that if you want more in life then you just have to be patient and, so-to-say, wait it out, contrary to people who either lose faith or find it easier to go for a convenience solution or a less satisfying solution of simply having a life companion, love or no love. Or then maybe some have lower expectations and are indeed even happy with less. Who knows indeed, everyone may even not have the luck of meeting HIM in the wide world, so what do you do, stay an old lonely ront? But in my case I waited out and was not satisfied with less because I really did not want one of these relationships and these families that to my mind did not seem to add any value to one's life, where they just pretend everything is alright while secretly everything is crumbling, and, since divorce is relatively more difficult in our cultures here and a strong signal something is wrong with you and thus to be avoided at all costs if you are a weak self-protectional person, one of the weaknesses of our mentality here, then he takes a lover and she finds a "soulmate" and children who see and know all get an altoghether wrong picture of what love really is, or even they will never know what it is and then also cannot express it themselves. A total disrespectful wasting of each other.

So - if you have any faith and hope then just wait out until you find a man who is madly in love with you because why settle for less - or are you less??? ;) There is one rule about that - NEVER, EVER let youself believe you are not worthy of the best treatment, because as a human and even from the more beautiful and gracious side of these - you are!

No harm in trying it out in the meanwhile - you will know better what it is what is not worth of your time and effort. I have about one strong rule abou tit: does the person I am with, make me be a better person or a wors person. If he behaves in a way that turns me into a nagging bitch then bye-bye, I do not wish spend my life being a nagging bitch. I wish be a smiling fairy.

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 27 June 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com