EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Visa to the US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visa to the US
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well well, would you beleive that the American Embassy in Cairo has accepted my invite letter! Insha Allah the appointment will go well, and my guy will be here before the summer [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Amazing, I did not even have to go to Egypt, did not have to get married!
I will return with him after his visit is over to meet his family. [Smile]

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations - was that for a tourist visa or for a fiance visa? If it was for a tourist visa, what sort of things did you write in your invitation letter and what was the length of the visit? (I'm assuming USA and the UK are fairly similar in their demands).
I want to invite my ex-bf (and now dear friend) for a holiday but not as a fiance.
Please PM me if you prefer.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much! Very excited. You know this is especially important, because, we never met! Now I feel like he has noble intentions because he will travel on his on expense and I still have my choices. He will be here for about 4 weeks. We will see what happens after that.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God willing, things will work out just fine. I'm afraid I don't know *anything* about visas to the US. But I hope you have a wonderful time visiting, and God willing get to Egypt soon as well. [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I will love it. You know, one of the brother in our community is from Cairo, he and his sons are going for the summer to visit his wife and family. Last night they asked if I would let my 2 oldest go with them. This would be an excellent chance for them to experience the culture, and perfect their Arabic. If the summer goes well, I will let them stay for the year.
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
Well well, would you beleive that the American Embassy in Cairo has accepted my invite letter! Insha Allah the appointment will go well, and my guy will be here before the summer [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Amazing, I did not even have to go to Egypt, did not have to get married!
I will return with him after his visit is over to meet his family. [Smile]

Khadija, the Embassy must 'accept' every letter, meaning open it, read, and let the invitee know he needs to come to talk to he consul. It is a good business for the embassy indeed as they charge few hundred bucks before the 'talk' and this fee is non-refundable no matter if the visa is granted or not. This is the (in)famous interview that decides about the fate of the visa, not the fact the interview was granted.
Just wanted to clear the issue, not make you less happy.
I wish you luck meeting your guy and him at the interview. Please let us know how all goes. [Smile]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmeds
Member # 9277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmeds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congratulations , mabrooook .

--------------------
if i weren't an egyptian , i would be an egyptian , [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Khadija, the Embassy must 'accept' every letter, meaning open it, read, and let the invitee know he needs to come to talk to he consul. It is a good business for the embassy indeed as they charge few hundred bucks before the 'talk' and this fee is non-refundable no matter if the visa is granted or not. This is the (in)famous interview that decides about the fate of the visa, not the fact the interview was granted.
I wish you luck meeting your guy and him at the interview. Please let us know how all goes. [Smile]

hmmmm, I actally did think of that. Yeah that non-refundable fee really sucks. I hope there wont be any hang ups with him(background and all)if that all good, he wiil be fine. Actally the Embassy contacted me twice about the letter wrote. I thought this was a good sign, because, I have never been to Egypt. I will keep every posted on the outcome [Smile]
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

hmmmm, I actally did think of that. Yeah that non-refundable fee really sucks. I hope there wont be any hang ups with him(background and all)if that all good, he wiil be fine. Actally the Embassy contacted me twice about the letter wrote. I thought this was a good sign, because, I have never been to Egypt. I will keep every posted on the outcome [Smile]
I hope it will all work out for you both, InshaAllah!
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmeds
Member # 9277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmeds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karah_mia, where have u been all this period !!!

--------------------
if i weren't an egyptian , i would be an egyptian , [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's interesting. the consul in cairo told me they disregard those letters for tourist visas (don't even bother matching up the faxed ones to the applications received).

so was his a fiance visa or a bsn visa?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndreAhmed:
karah_mia, where have u been all this period !!!

Eating little babies and men for dessert. [Wink]
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
that's interesting. the consul in cairo told me they disregard those letters for tourist visas (don't even bother matching up the faxed ones to the applications received).

so was his a fiance visa or a bsn visa?

Business, I cant justify a fiance visa, I have never been to egypt. Insha Allah, he will be here in a few weeks. BTW, he is paying for everything, which suprised me, because I was prepared to pay for his visa, and ticket, but he refused.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, that's really rare that you faked a business visa for him - congrats!! this couldn't have been the first time he's traveled, so he must have been to europe or uk/australia/canada, no?

(sorry to be nosey, it's just such a fascinating process to me, i try to find the pattern in the criteria in different visas/countries, but sometimes it does seem like it's the mood of a particular person on a particular day)

don't be surprised that he wanted to pay for everything. he couldn't get a bsn visa unless he could finance the trip.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sometimes it does seem like it's the mood of a particular person on a particular day)

You nailed it, at least on the American part... [Wink]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
You nailed it, at least on the American part... [Wink]

The Egyptian part is whether or not the foreign service office worker feels some sort of anomosity towards the applicant and withholds the information or adds extra inquiries on the status and background of the Egyptian applicant.

The Egyptian side aren't a bunch of drones, they can act with spite too.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

The Egyptian part is whether or not the foreign service office worker feels some sort of anomosity towards the applicant and withholds the information or adds extra inquiries on the status and background of the Egyptian applicant.

The Egyptian side aren't a bunch of drones, they can act with spite too.

You are right. They make people wait for passports with visas after approval having all the documents in their hands.
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
wow, that's really rare that you faked a business visa for him - congrats!! this couldn't have been the first time he's traveled, so he must have been to europe or uk/australia/canada, no?

(sorry to be nosey, it's just such a fascinating process to me, i try to find the pattern in the criteria in different visas/countries, but sometimes it does seem like it's the mood of a particular person on a particular day)

don't be surprised that he wanted to pay for everything. he couldn't get a bsn visa unless he could finance the trip.

[Roll Eyes] No I did not "fake" a business LOL. I have a business. I had one estalished before I met him FAFA (Families Againt Family Abuse). That was over a year ago. When I became mulsim 4 months ago, I established a chairty to help with the organization of the muslims in the community. We plan to establish a mosque, school, and community service center.

He has never travlled out side of Egypt. I dont even think he has a passport. Yes it is suprising to me that he is going to pay for his end, because in the letter, I actually advise the emabassy that our organization would cover all his expenses. We simply want him to come and volunteer for us. Not a hard process if you are legitimate.

BTW Are you a spy?? [Confused]
Are you here to sabotage my love life [Wink]

he_love 21
Member # 7690

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for he_love 21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Kadhijah firstly I hope everything goes well for visa,it is difficult to get US visa not for egyptian only also for asian.I had exprience about that to get tourist visa,I had to interview 3rd times before I get it and non refundable.The Embassies do not have specific value for interview,but invitation from organization may be help,and another document that proof he has tie with his country.
I suggest based on my experience he has to be honest with his answer,do not nervous,staring stright to interviewer eyes.Because no matter you can proof that you have money and anothr properties sometimes is not work.
Answer the question straight to the point.
I hope this is may help you and your bf,insha allah

Posts: 184 | From: Maadi-Cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amadeo
Member # 10348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amadeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to travel to the state just fro visiting wife and her family for 3 months and come back as i have some obligations her for my mother going through operation so no time to file immigrant now and its not my plan maybe next year, my wife is american and can not come now, i hope they give me the visa as the interview next week, the problem is that i resigned from my work to travel i didnt know that they want that in the embassy lol, want ties what can i do i just pray,........
Posts: 22 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Your wife is american, here in the states, and you were not allowed to come to the states? You were not allowed to come here when she came back from cairo?
amadeo
Member # 10348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amadeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no just i didnt try to get immigrant visa, just fist time i try to get a visa visitor visa! as i want to visit her and her family then she will come afetr live with me like a year before i file immigrant visa but many just say that no good chance to get visitor visa that way
as the councelor want me to have ties here, lol.. if i plan not to come back i would file immigrant visa!!! no ties more than a mother for me at least hehehe

Posts: 22 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week, I phoned the embassy here, to ask for an apointment for my sister (student visa). I had to wait 40 minutes before having someone, then the girl asked me 'do you have a credit card? Do you accept to pay 14,50 euros to get an apointment?". Money money...
At the end of the conversation, she told me "and remember that you are not allowed to bring any weapon with you". [Confused] I was like, yeah, thanks for telling me, I will leave my gun at home...

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Barbapapa:

At the end of the conversation, she told me "and remember that you are not allowed to bring any weapon with you". [Confused] I was like, yeah, thanks for telling me, I will let my gun at home...

[Roll Eyes]
yeah

run_fast_run
Member # 9661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_fast_run     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amadeo:
no just i didnt try to get immigrant visa, just fist time i try to get a visa visitor visa! as i want to visit her and her family then she will come afetr live with me like a year before i file immigrant visa but many just say that no good chance to get visitor visa that way
as the councelor want me to have ties here, lol.. if i plan not to come back i would file immigrant visa!!! no ties more than a mother for me at least hehehe

they dont give tourist visa to the people who r married to american women,save ur money and wait to file for the immigration
Posts: 23 | From: NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryDinUSA
Member # 10386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryDinUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Egyptian male friend that has tried twice for visa to USA and both times he has been denied...the reason.."we don't think you will return to Egypt"...duh..the man has family here including 2 kids, 2 flats, a job, a car, money in the bank...he is 50 years old...and an educated engineer...now why would he leave it all behind. He just wants to come visit his cousins and friends and tour the USA. Doesn't make sense to me at all...as an American I appreciate our country's "safety measures" but it seems we are allowing others to immigrate at the rate of 1000's per month..and now they want to make them legal...?? Go figure..but if anybody has any idea how I can help my friend get a visa on his third try..I'm all for listening. Money is no issue..

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I wonder how these immigration laws work. I'm not living in the USA but it's the same here. Well, for the Usa, one of my friends' ex boyfriend has been allowed one year ago to enter the USA to visit his uncle. The guy is 22, no job, no money, nothing, he got the visa, and is now living illegaly in the US...One of my friends, a girl, who has a job in Egypt, a family, has been denied twice... Same here, my fiance has everything in Egypt, he runs his business, has money, rich and well known family, and every single time he has asked for a tourist visa, he has been denied. Now we are only using the business visa, we gave up with the tourist one. A girl I know, who met her boyfriend online, a poor guy, no money, no job, well, he got it last week, and he will stay here, he doesn't care about his girlfriend at all, he wants to stay here. It looks so unfair.
Sherry, I don't know what you can do. If the invitation letter is written by a woman, this may be a problem for the embassy. Also, maybe your friend is asking for a visa when a lot of other people are asking too -like during the summer vacation, or for Christmas -I know it may be a problem.
Good luck. He sould try again and again -though I know it's expensive, and humiliating to ask for a visa.

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amadeo
Member # 10348

Rate Member
i think it should be diifernt in my case as if i dont want to come back i would file immigrant visa, but i think that show good intent that i come back, i have invitation letters from all my wife family members about 10 and a sworn to the embassy by them that they are responasable for my return my stay and notorized there in the state and all mentioned my obligations here to come back, any way the appointment is on wednesday, i will tell you all my experience!!!!
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Barbapapa:
....If the invitation letter is written by a woman, this may be a problem for the embassy.

Really, I wrote the letter for my guy. should I be worried?? I know he made his appointment. I am making duaa for him allday, everyday...
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherry, The others coming in are not blowing up buildings. Restricting travel by Muslims in the United States at this time is not only reasonable but the only sane policy avilable,
its not a personal thing at all.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] No I did not "fake" a business LOL. I have a business. I had one estalished before I met him FAFA (Families Againt Family Abuse). That was over a year ago. When I became mulsim 4 months ago, I established a chairty to help with the organization of the muslims in the community. We plan to establish a mosque, school, and community service center.

He has never travlled out side of Egypt. I dont even think he has a passport. Yes it is suprising to me that he is going to pay for his end, because in the letter, I actually advise the emabassy that our organization would cover all his expenses. We simply want him to come and volunteer for us. Not a hard process if you are legitimate.

BTW Are you a spy?? [Confused]
Are you here to sabotage my love life [Wink]

And how am I suppose to know you have a charity that he's going to work for when you've been describing him as 'your guy' in what is clearly a personal relationship you have with him. Sorry, but he's not going there for business purposes. He's going there to be with you, and will also happen to be working for you. Totally separate issues, but thanks for jumping all over me. (Gosh why no, you're not defensive at all and I am ever o so interested in your life [Roll Eyes] )
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
I was joking! I could help you, if you want.
amadeo
Member # 10348

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for amadeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went to the interview today 30 munits before the appointment,have evrything in my hand and ready, then the photo doesnt fit for a visa, most of us there went to a photoshop opposit to the embassy to make new photo, they gave us 30 minutes more, many then and i was one of them lost the appointment and has to rescadual, wating more 10 days, most of people get visa there, in way an emplyer in embassy told me if we file for immigrant visa in cairo(spousal visa ) it takes like 3 months no more but if my wife file in US it something like a year, i want make sure of that any one know about the process of filing in egypt? thank you
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amadeo:
i went to the interview today 30 munits before the appointment,have evrything in my hand and ready, then the photo doesnt fit for a visa, most of us there went to a photoshop opposit to the embassy to make new photo, they gave us 30 minutes more, many then and i was one of them lost the appointment and has to rescadual, wating more 10 days, most of people get visa there, in way an emplyer in embassy told me if we file for immigrant visa in cairo(spousal visa ) it takes like 3 months no more but if my wife file in US it something like a year, i want make sure of that any one know about the process of filing in egypt? thank you

Oh, what a bad luck! Sorry! Did they reschedule the interview?
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
Sherry, The others coming in are not blowing up buildings. Restricting travel by Muslims in the United States at this time is not only reasonable but the only sane policy avilable,
its not a personal thing at all.

No one can argue with any country's security precautions if it comes to their own land, but what we are describing here is the 'consul's mood du jour' way of granting visas: unfair and nerve wrecking. It happens (sadly) in most Western embasies, not only the American one.
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amadeo, I have heard about the difference in wait time for a decision about spousal visa too.
If you do interview in Cairo, they have to make a decision on your petition within a month or something, I forget the exact amount of time.
Don't forget you need all the documents, including the IRS (tax) info from the US...you need all originals, and translations if you don't speak English well.
I guess you have to figure out who you want making your immigration decision, the Cairo American Embassy people or the Immigration people here. Of course, you will still have to do your initial interview for immigration there, and your wife does hers here. Then you have another few interviews when you get here.
The process for filing a spousal immigrant visa petition is available online.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, is your wife an American citizen?

http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/iv003.htm

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amadeo
Member # 10348

Rate Member
yes, she is american citzen and about process time the fact we dont want live apart that long so she maybe come stay with me and we file here, that way we dont feel the time, and we already have the forms almost all the documents.i hope the process time is three months as they told me in the embassy today!!!!
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
OK ES guess what! I married my EGY guy in Cairo on December 11 and it was the best time of my life! I just got back yesterday. What an expericence this have been! I cant belive it has been a year on ES I have been telling this story, and finally, I got my guy! I have plent of pics for who wants to see!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to see. i am going back feb5 and it will be our 1 year anniversry on feb 14 . but he is still waiting for our visa
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:
i want to see. i am going back feb5 and it will be our 1 year anniversry on feb 14 . but he is still waiting for our visa

send me private email for pics please?

how come so long on visa???

sawny
Member # 11224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sawny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it would seem visas to the us take a very long time. Our experience with the British embassy was very poitive, we were granted the visa on the day! although you do need to prepare an awful lot of information for them
Posts: 66 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com