EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » 2008 Resolution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2008 Resolution
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your next year resolutions? and have you achieved your current year resolutions?
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have plenty of New Year resolutions in my head but keeping them is another story! Next year, 2008, will be important to me for a few reasons and I only hope to be resolute and determined enough to carry some of my plans through. One thing is definitely to travel more!
(No, no - I don't smoke or drink, so it's neither of them! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next year resolutions are marry and having baby!
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2008 resolutions are too:

- work less hours
- spend less money
- work out more
- be more focused on the important things in life
- take time to stop and smell the flowers
- be grateful for what i have instead of longing for what i don't have

Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by habeeby:

...- be grateful for what i have instead of longing for what i don't have

I like this sentence.
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Angelheart [Smile]
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. It needs a lot of awareness, being able to see big lines, long term consequences, a lot of communucation and empathy, so I hope I will be able to manage it all.It's a difficult but beautiful job, two ppl already tried ( one got fired, one gave up)and it's a big challenge for me.
It also means that I have to stay in Europe more.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
... One thing is definitely to travel more!
(No, no - I don't smoke or drink, so it's neither of them! [Big Grin] )

Have a nice travelling around the world [Smile]
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. ...

Good luck for your study and carrier in 2008. [Smile]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Heart:
quote:
Originally posted by habeeby:

...- be grateful for what i have instead of longing for what i don't have

I like this sentence.
Me too. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. ...

Good luck for your study and carrier in 2008. [Smile]
Thank you, Angel Heart! BTW, one of the people who are advising me in this job, is an old Indonesian man! I am contacting him regularry because he is a kind of walking dictionary concerning rules and the interpretation of them.
The classical wise old man!

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what time
Member # 14547

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for what time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new years resolution will be to forget about 2007 cause it has been the worst year of my life, and spend more time with the people that really matter family and friends
[Smile]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't make any, then I can't break them [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Year's resolutions are great! I plan on bringing home less work and focusing more on my personal life. I've already started!
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. It needs a lot of awareness, being able to see big lines, long term consequences, a lot of communucation and empathy, so I hope I will be able to manage it all.It's a difficult but beautiful job, two ppl already tried ( one got fired, one gave up)and it's a big challenge for me.

what is the job?
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Technical director. I am not training myself, I have to make decisions about the methods, the trainers, making contracts, and make sure that development is as high as possible for the ones who are in training. Needs a lot personal contact, right now I'm just trying to inform myself about how likely it is that I will be able to imply my view on it. I have worked for 10 years on parts that are related to that field, so I have my own opinion about it.
The trainers know me, and how I think about it, and thats not completely the same as their opinion and thoughts. They are even not on the same line for themselves. So, first we have to decide which direction we will take, and try to get all the noses in that same direction.
I want to work to a certain goal together, instead as placing myself above them and tell them what I want. They have to be convinced that my goal is their goal.
For the rest it's financial and economical responsebility. I am the one who is fully responsable, and one of the members of the board. ( and that means meetings, which I hate)
It's the only part that is profitable, so I am honoured that the board decided that I am good enough to keep this going...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingmylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What are your next year resolutions?

- To become more devoted, more submissive to Allah on the soul level, to feel more, to give in more.
- To make my connection/bond with Creator stronger and deeper.
- To offer kindness & love more to those who suffer, to touch more
- To be authentic to my true-self more
- To guard my essence more and to pray more
- To train patience and wisdom more.
- To fight for loved ones and bring them back to their true selves and 'connection' more.
- To forgive more to those who need my forgiveness, to listen more, to understand more.
- To love myself more, to keep confidence high
- To sing more, at least 3 times a day, and surround myself with music and art more
- To use my life more
- To educate myself more, more and more.
- To stop and think to self-reflect more.
- To be focused more, to be greatful more
- To learn silence more
- To improve communication in all levels more
- To be disciplined more

Financial:
- to think BIG, and surround myself with succesful people
- to use every free day at east 1 hour a day, to bring an idea into a reality
- to be smarter financially

Career:
- To do what I love & pursue only things I love
- to publish
- to write more
- to create more

Health & Happiness:
- to spend more money on things that make me healtier
- to master my body
- to involve myself into sport
- to keep having positive nurturing friends
- to celebrate love and life more

Posts: 1039 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingmylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and have you achieved your current year resolutions?

I achieved all but I need to master it more.

This year 2008 is crucial for me in all levels because it will bring the fruits of my hard work in the past ( I hope ).

2007 for me was a year of total transformation. This is I think 4th or 5th time where after awhile I chose to transform everything ( all aspects ) totally and bring them to higher level.

In order for me to achieve my potential I need death of old and rebirth of new things, or in other words to appreciate what I already have, get rid of things you don't like, keep things you do like, and most importantly invite new things.

Which had many risks ( leaving old & familiar, and facing new and unknown ) so it was not so easy for me as I was pretty established in my previous stage, but that is how I make-over my life ( by trasnforming every single aspect in 12 month period, and then deal with it at once one after another one ). I always get tremendous and extraordinary life changes, (thank God for the strength and endurance).

2007 was harder for me then usually because more time passed between 2 transformations. This time I got to do total transformation sooner.

Posts: 1039 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. It needs a lot of awareness, being able to see big lines, long term consequences, a lot of communucation and empathy, so I hope I will be able to manage it all. It's a difficult but beautiful job, two ppl already tried ( one got fired, one gave up)and it's a big challenge for me. It also means that I have to stay in Europe more.

Without risks there is no success.
Nothing worthy comes easily.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

best of luck to you.i know you'll be a success [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lovingmylife:
quote:
2008: Will finish my study in March, and start a new job directly after it. It needs a lot of awareness, being able to see big lines, long term consequences, a lot of communucation and empathy, so I hope I will be able to manage it all. It's a difficult but beautiful job, two ppl already tried ( one got fired, one gave up)and it's a big challenge for me. It also means that I have to stay in Europe more.

Without risks there is no success.
Nothing worthy comes easily.

LML, that sentiment is so true, and something I have been battling with this year. I can now see clearly what I must do next year, even though it involves one of the biggest risks I've ever taken alone! [Wink]
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

If you don't risk you may move eventually there but it may take you forever, and you may be lost in the process. If you risk it and lose it then you would lose it anyway. [Smile]
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

So what's that you must do that involves the biggest risks you have taken alone next year soozi?

[Smile] ( let me guess: move to another country alone and leave behind everyone you know ?)

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, nothing to do with moving to another country, but a major career change, moving across the UK to a town I've never been to and don't know anyone. Leaving family and friends - you got that bit right [Wink] - selling my house and giving my cats away!

And there is quite a high risk of failure in the new career. But hey - life is for living!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

I did that at least hold on, let me think, like 6 - 7 times or so... including different cultures, languages, people, expectations, social norms, way of life. It was worth it. [Smile]

The 1st time I risked it and made it, I learned the timing when to take a risk in the future. I think timing is crucial. There has been always something unexpected that took place in all my risk takings, but since I have skills whatever took place I used to my advantage, not allowing it to take me off. I think this is the key.

I had cats and dog and birds, and all kinds of pets too. [Smile] You can re-create everything again soozi. Any life you want.

soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Yeah now that I've sold the house, and told my current employer my plans - the worry and panic has left me, and I know for sure to go ahead and do it!

If I fail, then I fail - I would prefer that than the regret of what could have been! [Smile]

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Exactly. By risking you are simply speeding up something, you are inviting a change ( usually huge one ) So the time is shorter to get there ( assume you are ready but circumstances don't allow you ). You must risk it, and go against circumstances and rely on your skills, confidence, knowledge, you must believe in yourself that you can do it.
Barry's Sandra
Member # 13539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry's Sandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Exactly. By risking you are simply speeding up something, you are inviting a change ( usually huge one ) So the time is shorter to get there ( assume you are ready but circumstances don't allow you ). You must risk it, and go against circumstances and rely on your skills, confidence, knowledge, you must believe in yourself that you can do it.

Wow! these are words of wisdom. Definitely what I need. I am about to take a risk and you are exactly saying what I believe in. Thanks LML, you are boosting my self-esteem [Smile]
Posts: 53 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Changes are difficult because people are having problems with the uncertainty in it. Taking risks is inherent to changes. In my opinion taking risks, or just decisions, isn't because of self-esteem, and rely on skills, having trust, confidence, knowledge etc. They are all important, but THE most important thing is self-knowledge.
Self-knowledge is a whole lot more realistic as confidence, self-esteem, or just guts.
If you really have the realistic and honest view on yourself, you KNOW what you are able to do, and what isn't. And when you're goal is also a realistic one, and you know exactly what capacities you have, then it isn't necesarry to take risks, or act out of the guts you are having.
Succes IMO is not taking risks, but knowing yourself...

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2007 resolutions:
-----------------

quit job TICK [Big Grin]

move to Egypt TICK [Big Grin]

start training for new career TICK [Big Grin]

lose 30lb - Abject failure [Frown]

2008 resolutions:
-----------------

get new career going

lose 30lb

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this year resoluton is get healed of many sicknesses and get married I hope, I hope, I hope, insh'Allah, Amen !!!
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My resolutions...quit smoking and lose 20 lbs.

Our resolutions as a couple...pay off credit cards within the first six months and try to add an addition to the household. [Wink]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea~
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
If you really have the realistic and honest view on yourself, you KNOW what you are able to do, and what isn't. And when you're goal is also a realistic one, and you know exactly what capacities you have, then it isn't necesarry to take risks, or act out of the guts you are having. Succes IMO is not taking risks, but knowing yourself...

Interesting view but I have never thought of it that way.

- One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. (a.g)
- The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. (c.d)

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
Originally posted by Barry's Sandra:
quote:

Wow! these are words of wisdom. Definitely what I need. I am about to take a risk and you are exactly saying what I believe in. Thanks LML, you are boosting my self-esteem [Smile]
Thanks. [Smile] So what is your risk taking about?
lovingmylife
Member # 13695

quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
2007 resolutions:
-----------------
quit job TICK [Big Grin]
move to Egypt TICK [Big Grin]
start training for new career TICK [Big Grin]
lose 30lb - Abject failure [Frown]

2008 resolutions:
-----------------

get new career going
lose 30lb

Once you get your Career going you will lose the weight as well.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
If you really have the realistic and honest view on yourself, you KNOW what you are able to do, and what isn't. And when you're goal is also a realistic one, and you know exactly what capacities you have, then it isn't necesarry to take risks, or act out of the guts you are having. Succes IMO is not taking risks, but knowing yourself...

- One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. (a.g)
- The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. (c.d)

Sacrifice??? I don't see it this way. It's more like building; a stone on a stone, and that makes the wall grow higher. You don't have to throw it all down and build a new, bigger one, as long as there is enough stability in what has been build untill now.
I'm not the taking risks type, the most important thing before I start something new is that I am rather sure how to do it, and that it is possible the do it! So, I am building on something that is already existing and whats strong enough to carry the wheight.

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

In my culture for instance, people are encouraged to 'sacrifice' as that is "viewed" as one (of many) forms of love.

For example, I have only $1 Dollar, I need it, but you really need it more. So I will sacrifize and give it to you because you need it more. If I don't, and chances are high for you to experience pain, I feel bad so to show you love/care, and help you ( make it easier on you ) I will sacrifize for you.

This is one version.

Another version I learned in other cultures is - don't sacrifice, or at least don't say that you do. Because 'sacrifice' means you don't have enough, and when you give when you don't have enough, you also face resentment ( if the person you sarifized for dissapoints you ever after ).

So I would interpret sarifice "of what you are" FOR "what we could become" as love for yourself, or love for life, some positive change, not kiling your self, but basically rebuilding yourself, rebuilding your life, and making the life of your own dreams.

We often have no choice. If we stayed the way we are ( and we like ourselves that way ) we would not be able to be who we are now ( and now we are way more than we have been in the past ).

It's when you have to build yourself ( often against your own wishes, but out of necessity ) in such a way that you could deal with things, things you maybe could not deal with before.

I think we always change and build ourselves, the only thing is some people have to do it totally. I call this rebirth. [Big Grin] ( I had 1 at age of 21 )

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

In regards of risks, risk is a concept of facing things you haven't faced before ( which is uncertainty ) & probability of failure. Higher uncertainty higher perceived risk, however "risking" to me is ability, it's verb in action.

So if I have self-knowledge but I don't act, then I don't risk. Without facing uncertainty ( risking ) I don't cause changes, and I don't invite new things in my life.

As the consequence, I would not feel successful. I want big things, big changes... thus without risking who knows would it ever happen. I think not, or it would take forever. That's how I see it. [Smile]

crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My New Years resolution is to make a good life for me and my son.

To believe in myself.

To Believe in my own judgement and follow what I think is right.

To be free to be who I want to be.

To encourage my son to be self confident.

To Enjoy being who I am.

Might sound crazy to some of you, but sometimes we lose these things and they are what make the air worth breathing [Smile]

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
A few years ago I had an appointment with a bankmanager with the same familyname as an old boyfriend had. It was not a common name, so I assumed he should be a member from his family.
He came to my office, and I saw and old man, and I made the (wrong) conclusion that it must have been an uncle or his father.After some talking it seemed that he had nothing else in mind as waiting for his retirement what should follow in a few years. I asked him about his relative and he told me he was his brother and only a few years older then I (and he) was.
I was surprised that he looked that old, grey and boring, having no challenge at all as his retirement. I think he was a bit of surprised about two people, more or less, from the same age, could have such a different attitude and goals in life.
I think it is an art of living to see goals and challenges. I think when you don't have them anymore, you are like you described above, safety first, and let's not do anything that brings changes! Maybe they feel comfortable with it, I'm not.
And that's why there are all kinds of people. As long as they feel fine in what they do, who am I to say they're wrong?

--------------------

crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sacrifice??? I don't see it this way. It's more like building; a stone on a stone, and that makes the wall grow higher. You don't have to throw it all down and build a new, bigger one, as long as there is enough stability in what has been build untill now.
I'm not the taking risks type, the most important thing before I start something new is that I am rather sure how to do it, and that it is possible the do it! So, I am building on something that is already existing and whats strong enough to carry the wheight.

I agree with ?????, I am like this also, I like to have a plan or a goal, but I have to set the foundations first, small steps at a time, because then if the wall falls it will not fall all the way back down to the ground, maybe only half way, and will be easier to rebuild.

Also if you have people that depend on you i.e children, you have to make sure that you are not risking their security also, children need security, so you cant up sticks and go off to pursue your dreams at the risk of it all crumbling and being left with nothing, that is irresponsible IMO, better to have some security in place first.

For example, I would love to work abroad, I have wanted to for years, so i have looked at jobs, I would make sure I had the qualifications, a job offer and a place to live, and spoke some of the language before i even set foot on foreign turf - Then my adventure would begin, because there are enough struggles in life without making it harder on yourself and i have learnt you can only truely rely on yourself [Smile]

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try to be a better person. try to love my fellow man even if they are not loving .try to be a better at my job and just live one day at a time because you never know when your last day will be.
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com