EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » British moves to a tiny village in Africa - after falling in love with a tribal elder (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: British moves to a tiny village in Africa - after falling in love with a tribal elder
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A British teacher is set to up sticks and move to a tiny village in Africa - after striking up a romance with a tribal elder.

She will swap her comfortable home in Southampton, Hants, for a humble hut with a tin roof and no electricity or running water.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1076215/British-teacher-moves-tiny-village-Africa--falling-love-tribal-elder.html

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh what a nice story!! I wish them both the best of luck.

Africa is such a fantastic continent and I'd love to visit and stay in different countries if I could.

I guess she found something in Tanzania what she was missing back at home in the UK. Yes it's obviously a very simple life she'll be living there but a happy and fulfilling one. Good luck again - and never say never to marriage! [Wink]

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear what you are saying TL, BUT...

I wouldn't hold out hope for the relationship working, because of her reasons for wanting to be there. If she was moving to Tanzania because she was an anthropologist who decided to live in a remote village, then perhaps yes, she would have more understanding of the realities of life in a tribal village.

ok lets look at the reality, she said 'The cooking is very primitive too but I think I can cope. If not I'll come back to my washing machine and fully fitted kitchen in my comfortable house in Southampton.'
She is thinking about the cooking? Take a look at the picture of the women in that village carrying heavy wood they have just chopped back to their villiage, probably miles, do they look happy to you?

Cooking will be the least of her worries.

She has gone there because a man showed her attention which she was probably finding hard to get in the UK, he made her feel desirable - after a day of living like these women, she wont be feeling so desirable.

The expectations of women in many of these tribes are huge and physically demanding, in a way that the majority of western women could not believe.

Its not uncommon for The women of the tribe to be the ones out cutting wood while the men spend time male bonding!

And after that they will be looking after the children, the sick, the elderly, Milking the goats and cows, looking after the cattle, cooking dinner, educating the younger ones and making themselves look pretty for the man when he comes home.

Usually women are not treated like princesses, its a hard old slog for them.

So I would imagine she has been treated as a foreigner so far, not as a tribal wife.

I'm sure its all very well she will live a life of romance and wild animals sleeping on nearby rocks, until the dust settles.

And lets just hope then that we dont see a book entitled 'My Tribal Hell' appear on our bookshelves in a couple of years, as is the case with many Western womens ridiculous unthought out bad choices that they blame on someone else.

[Wink]

OK now you can kill me [Big Grin]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are more cases like this,women who chosed for Masai, to live in Jordan caves, but always in countries with a better climate. Never saw a woman chose for an Inuit. [Wink]
The books that have been written about the subject all tell the same story, that it is difficult, that the women almost all the time have to put aside a lot of their own personalities, and that often, after time, try to move to their own country because life is easier there...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, cat, remember she's a white woman and she will be treated like that in the village - with lots of respect. I am 100% certain that she won't have to carry the water buckets herself. [Wink]

I believe she was longing for a different lifestyle - something totally out of the ordinary and exotic - and that's why she chose it.

I do wish her all the best and whatever the outcome is - good or bad - I hope ????? gets to read another book on this subject. [Smile]

Hm and I still hope they get married so the whole union looks more sincere. Is it common in certain parts of Africa that people just live together like that? There is no problem within the community??

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Hey, cat, remember she's a white woman and she will be treated like that in the village - with lots of respect. I am 100% certain that she won't have to carry the water buckets herself. [Wink]

I believe she was longing for a different lifestyle - something totally out of the ordinary and exotic - and that's why she chose it.

I do wish her all the best and whatever the outcome is - good or bad - I hope ????? gets to read another book on this subject. [Smile]

Hm and I still hope they get married so the whole union looks more sincere. Is it common in certain parts of Africa that people just live together like that? There is no problem within the community??

تيجرليلي

She must have menopausal disbalances... [Razz]
My husband is going to start another new adventure in the jungles, surviving without bringing food and water... for me he is crazy, just as the English woman is.And yes, he is well insured... [Big Grin]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice story, i hope the will be happy together.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i wanna ask something..

Why is it nice????!!!!

Why is it so special if a woman decides to go and live in Tanzania for some attention?

lets look at this another way. If a woman in her 50's decided to leave her home and go and live in Glasgow with her poor (but attentive) boyfriend. Lets say he is homeless, but its true love. She wants to 'experience' life on the other side, worrying about whether you can pay the bills, buy food, walk in the rain because you dont have a car, blar blar blar... doesn't sound so romantic does it? You would say she is insane.

It's not 'nice'!!!

Lets take off the rose coloured glasses, look at the women's faces in Tanzania, its not a bed of roses, and why shouldn't she work TL? Why shouldn't she do what the other women of the village do?

Kind of reminds me of the British Empire, will she be packing her white umbrella too [Big Grin]

Well lets just hope when I am 50 something I can find an old man somewhere in the corners of the globe, from a poor country, to give my cynical arse some much needed attention...

long as i dont have to do without my dishwasher aye? [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
But honey she will be working!

" Miss Woolgar has quit her work in adult education at Peter Symonds College, in Winchester, but will return to the classroom in Tanzania, teaching a class of 50-60 secondary school girls English ."

Cat wrote: "Well lets just hope when I am 50 something I can find an old man somewhere in the corners of the globe, from a poor country, to give my cynical arse some much needed attention...

You know what - never say never!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I think it's great and kinda brave of the woman to actually move there. And she's not delusional - after all she kept her house in Southhampton - JUST IN CASE!

MISS WOOLGAR, 51, NEVER MARRIED AND NO CHILDREN GOT MY BLESSINGS! [Smile]

تيجرليلي

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Cat is right. When a Western woman should have made the same choice but then with somebody identical from her own country, people would declare her insane.
But, there are plenty of Miss Woolgars, flattered by the attention of her tropical surprise. They feel special and beloved for as long as it leasts. She is free to do what she likes, but I'm afraid she is a temporary state of mind. She will cure. After she shared her belongings with the man, his 4 children and probably some villagers over there. And probably she will write a book about her special love-story with her tribal-leader. Soooooooooooooo romantic!!!! [Razz]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Cat is right. When a Western woman should have made the same choice but then with somebody identical from her own country, people would declare her insane.
But, there are plenty of Miss Woolgars, flattered by the attention of her tropical surprise. They feel special and beloved for as long as it leasts. She is free to do what she likes, but I'm afraid she is a temporary state of mind. She will cure. After she shared her belongings with the man, his 4 children and probably some villagers over there. And probably she will write a book about her special love-story with her tribal-leader. Soooooooooooooo romantic!!!! [Razz]

Thats right, cant possibly be love, he MUST be after all she has, it will never last blah blah here have my cornflakes too.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to live in a fihing village in Ghana on the border of Togo... the village was called Ada Foah and after my initiation and naming ceremony my Ghanaian name was Afia - that being 'girl being born on a Friday' (femnine of Kofi).

There was no electricity and I was more famous than Wesley Snipes when he visited becasue of my skin colour.

I was not in love, menopausal, seeking attention, menatally unstable or flattered by the attention. I was just a cheeky little ferret bobbing along in Ghana [Big Grin]

1.2.3... let the judging commence [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
I won't kill you. [Wink] As I said, she is free to do whatever she likes. But, I think she is making a mistake. Just my opinion. You can say it's the usual bla-bla-bla or have lived in Ghana as a child and liked it, and then I can say your reply is as usual as mine, and we both don't change our opinion. The most stupid thing is that we will never know who was right, because THAT takes a longer time, and we won't be there to hear it.
So, in fact it's a useless discussion. [Razz]
Good night, sleep well, and sweet dreams. ALL of you. Even the hardheads!

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if it is a mistake? So what. You only live once, if in mere months time she finds the reality of the situation too hard, she can come back, and put it down to one hell of an experience, and fascinating conversation starter (something I bet her life beforehand was lacking).
No children involved, no one can get hurt. She is a middle-aged woman looking for excitement, before she’s too old, or her rut is too big.
You always regret the things you don’t do, more than the things you do.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
That's true weirdkitty, no one gets hurt in this relationship, she got her assets well kept back in the UK. And may I also point out that her African man is around the same age as she is? Now if she got involved with a young man the situation would look different for me. It really looks like it's not about sex. And I fully believe she knows what to expect. She went couple of times to work there before. She must like it after all.
تيجرليلي

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
I was more famous than Wesley Snipes when he visited becasue of my skin colour.

LOL!! [Big Grin]

Please tell me more about Ghana, LF! Ghanain people look beautiful. The official language is English. The crime rate is very low.

How did you like it there??

تيجرليلي

ES Stinks
Member # 12617

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ES Stinks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why you guys think its so wonderful for her to do it in Ghana but if she did it for an Egyptian your tongues would fly out of your mouth then in disapproval.
Posts: 256 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman went there giving community service, and helping those less fortunate. Having traveled in a similar capacity with a private medical organization, I can say that experience can be very fulfilling and life altering.

Obviously, she met someone who captured her heart, and she is of the adventurous persuasion. That's great for her!!! May God Bless Her - she is helping others less fortunate than she...who the f cares who carries the water bucket or makes what bed...if her presence there can positively impact a community towards the better, then that really is a gift, and that village will be that much more fortunate for it.

At least she is living her life, however it turns out....

instead of gossiping about it on a website with a lot of catty [no meant to pun you **cat**], jaded, verbally abusive women, who really seem NOT to be happy unless one of the two dichotomous sides of this site are feeling done...one day it's this camp, and the next day it's the other camp.

Ok now you can KILL me [Razz]

--------------------
رِحْلِة الأَلْف مِيل تَبْدَأ بِخَطْوَة

Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English was the official language but the country is divided tribally. We had staff living on our land from different tribes and they were always arguing! I learned a few ashanti expressions though. I was 28 when I decided to go.

The country itself is difficult to live in, it has a high rate of disease and the high humidity is stifling. The crime rate is very HIGH, I just think it is unreported. They will break your jaw for your gold teeth in places! My folks house was robbed in a planned robbery and all of the security staff were thrown in jail. Sadly the criminals are kinda fed to the wolves there, for e.g. if you attempt to steal anythng it would not be unheard of to find the victim kicked to death in a crowd.

The Goverment have a bad reputation for letting the civillians go without while they live the high life. It is a very very poor country.

Of the things I loved, I loved the monsoons and and I loved beachlife as well... Ghanaians are very naturally happy people. Sadly I also find some to be corrupt and the poverty is too heartbreaking.

Highs and lows like all countries! Quite simple.

Perhaps this is why I find Egypt a delight to live in, it is such an easy way of life here.

All countries have theirs highs and lows and their rough with the smooth. I learned a lot from this expereince and I wouldn't change a day.

For this woman, she can try and fail but I admire her for trying. She is harming nobody.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
It's to early to kill people, a very good morning to you!
There are thousands of people who, after visiting an African country for the first time, feel sorry for the people and want to help them.
It is because they have a good and big heart.
They give money for waterwelles, for schools, for education, maybe for housing too. And after time they discover the people over there are started to see the bighearted westerner as a money-machine. They even make phonecalls to ask for money,because there always seems to be a problem.
And then it takes time to get ridd of them, the asking and demanding 'friends'. I know several cases of that, it's more rule then exception.
When somebody wants to help, fine, look for an aid-foundation that is working in the way you like. Don't give money to the people, but to the aid-foundation.
I still feel strongly for Cat's opinion, when this woman should have found a man from 53, living in similar circumstances in her own counrty, she wouldn't even think about starting a relationship with him.
It's all emotional, not rational.
Nobody immediatly is hurted by this case, but I'm afraid she will be, after time.
And this case is only showing how we are used to think: rationally or emotionally...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
So she is only hurting herself... what of it??? Have you never done anything in your life for love?

I believe giving your time is the precious and valuable thing you can do in this world and if you can go out and dig a well then go for it.

Luckily this wasn't my fist trip to Africa and nothing in life really fazes me and I have never felt pity for people who don't have all the material possessions I have as they have something I don't and that is a strong community bond and teamwork... I loved watching tribes all working together to make their evening meal for the whole village. I learned that not every body wants saving and some people are very happy wih God dealth them. Ghana is a very christian state.

Sometimes believe it or not rationally and emotionally are on the same side.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Goodmorning, LF. I did and still do a lot to help people, without money being exchanged, thank you, and I know and heard a lot of all the different varieties there are in helping people. This is not about helping people, it is about moving to a village in Africa, to live with a man. She won't marry him, and that doesn't seem to be a problem...can you imagine that, and why?
This woman never has been married, she is 51, and finally she met the love of her life and she doesn't want to marry him????
The man is a bit older and he doesn't want to marry her either??? That's strange!
He is a retired aviation officer, has visited the UK several times, during her relationship with him, he is living in a brick house instead as a clay hut, and there will be many benefits more for him.
For her the only benefit is the man, for the rest she has to lay aside many conveniences.
Doesn't matter, it is her free choice!
I hope she will be happy there, and I hope she will be able to spend the rest of her life in the way she has in mind right now.
I wouldn't have placed it in the newspaper, if I were in her shoes. Because that newspaper will follow her in this. When this all turns out wrong, the whole world will know it...
But maybe I'm wrong...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
English was the official language but the country is divided tribally. We had staff living on our land from different tribes and they were always arguing! I learned a few ashanti expressions though. I was 28 when I decided to go.

The country itself is difficult to live in, it has a high rate of disease and the high humidity is stifling. The crime rate is very HIGH, I just think it is unreported. They will break your jaw for your gold teeth in places! My folks house was robbed in a planned robbery and all of the security staff were thrown in jail. Sadly the criminals are kinda fed to the wolves there, for e.g. if you attempt to steal anythng it would not be unheard of to find the victim kicked to death in a crowd.

The Goverment have a bad reputation for letting the civillians go without while they live the high life. It is a very very poor country.

Of the things I loved, I loved the monsoons and and I loved beachlife as well... Ghanaians are very naturally happy people. Sadly I also find some to be corrupt and the poverty is too heartbreaking.

Oh great, thanks for our response. You know I am little confused right now. Maybe I miss understood something as I've seen Ghana was ranked 40 on this year's global peace report:

"Ghana - Most Peaceful in Africa!
Ghana is the most peaceful country in Africa and the 40th in the world, according to the Global Peace Index(GPI) released by Britain's Economist Intelligence Unit. Ghana ranked above United Kingdom(ranked 49), the United States (97th)..."

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/news/93/ghana-most-peaceful-in-africa/

How is the main capital, Accra?? Is it rather well developed? Do they have hotels with Western standards available for lodging or is everything there rather simple? How about international schools??

تيجرليلي

Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

Oh great, thanks for our response. You know I am little confused right now. Maybe I miss understood something as I've seen Ghana was ranked 40 on this year's global peace report:

"Ghana - Most Peaceful in Africa!
Ghana is the most peaceful country in Africa and the 40th in the world, according to the Global Peace Index(GPI) released by Britain's Economist Intelligence Unit. Ghana ranked above United Kingdom(ranked 49), the United States (97th)..."

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/news/93/ghana-most-peaceful-in-africa/

How is the main capital, Accra?? Is it rather well developed? Do they have hotels with Western standards available for lodging or is everything there rather simple? How about international schools??

تيجرليلي

Tigerlilly,

Don't you think its usually safe to assume that *most* countries, even those which are categorized as developing countries- have lodging which is up to "standard"? Especially the capital city. Ghana isn't that terrible of a place- I'm sure. I'm willing to bet they have their share of at least Holidays Inns or Best Westerns if not a Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton, etc.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wonder why you guys think its so wonderful for her to do it in Ghana but if she did it for an Egyptian your tongues would fly out of your mouth then in disapproval.
Well that would be very hypocritical, considering most people on this site did do it for an Egyptian. But then, hypocrisy is nothing new here lol.

I bet right now is the most excited and happy she has ever been. Should she have missed out on that just because one day it might fall apart? If we don't do something, because of what might happen, then we would be living life in a bubble.
Why should what we consider "normal" also be what is considered "right"? Maybe she doesn't want to settle down with some English guy, who works 9-5 behind a desk, spending the rest of her life how she spent the first half.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Listen, she's a nutter, a delusional, dreamy, soppy nutter...

[Wink]

And let that be the end of it... [Big Grin]

I'm sorry, i just cant be doing with it any more, why did it even make the headlines? If she choses to upsticks, fine, but dont hail her into some self sacrificing hero on a VSO Mission!

I just cant bring myself to say 'ooooohh, goody, how sweet, how lovely, what a hero, she finally found love after 51 miserable years, how sweet, god bless and good luck to them both, the little poppets'

anyway, i'm angry today and this was a good release, thank you very muchly [Big Grin]

TL please post some more articles about drippy females to keep me on my toes [Big Grin]

wishing everyone a miserable day [Big Grin]

From Namibia with love - with my new sexy war chief tribal leader, that i met whilst saving his village, cos i'm English and thats what we do, we rescue poor men.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I never saw any hotels like that, not even a ropey Holiday Inn... not even in Accra. I saw a Novotel... but that was all. When I arrived I stayed in a diddy hotel called Aiport View before being moved to the house. I used to visit colleagues in Labadi and Tulip hotels, they were the two best ones in Accra. Sri Lankan owned the one and the food was amazing.

There is no Macdonalds or KFC in Ghana, it was such a pleasure to visit a country without seeing Golden Arches destroying the sky line, and even though there is no civil war in Ghana there is a very high level of corruption. the stories i wish I had tome to tell about people I know who got thrown in jail... google juju as well, that was freaky! I know a guy who had a bad juju placed on him!

I did not see any Internationsl schools either. I saw a lot of local schools, especially those that accommodated the high influx of orphans they have.

There are also many disabled people in Ghana as many adults bear the physical scars of the effects of polio and sadly, HIV/Aids. This disease is threatening society at an astounding rate.

There is an Island on Lake Volta call Dodi that purely relies on toursits for an income and you get a boat there and the locals dance for cash. Then the boat returns to the main land with an island member to get food and he returns on the next boat. It is an amazing country. I only eer saw Americans and they were fantastic, so kind and generous.

Sadly many people cannot get work for whatever reason and they cannot afford the basic preventatives against malaria and it is sad to see babies dying or to go to the orphanage and see children whose parents have fell victim. Anti-malaria products can be the equivalent of the average monthly pay! This upset me.

So yes, TL, it is that terrible a place. Again, unless you have lived it you will never understand from googling it.

BTW, I was there as a volunteer to educate villagers about HIV/Aids. With no electrcity there is no outside influence and for eg. when bleach first arrived in Ada, the locals drank it as it read 'kills all known germs' they thought it included Aids. [Frown]

I do have happy stories but no one wants them lol ...

The best thing I ever did was get out of The UK. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it earlier.

I hope this lady embraces teaching these children mentioned in the article and increases the employability rate in young people within the village.

Knowledge can be such a powerful thing.

One line I will always remember was from an orphan named Jacob in Accra. He had 2 dreams; One was to own a book and the other was to see what is over the horizon. My heart breaks when I look back [Frown] I would return tomorrow if I could guarantee I would not get malaria again...

Rumite
Member # 15924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooooh sounds very romantic [Smile]

I only hope the ladies out there wont eat her alive before the end of her honey moon. After all, she's white and that makes her delicious when starvation seasons come in.

Good luck

Posts: 17 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Wow, sorry for the length of the post. Some times old memories come flooding back.

I hope this women finds her inner happiness. I am sure like most of us emigration is not done on a whim and we do feel there is something worth giving up our material lives for.

If she isn't happy, all she has to is fly back to her own life. No harm done, mafeesh moshkila!

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
Why? Because she is doing something you wouldn't do? Seems like a very weak argument for someones sanity.
Like I said before, why does "normal" have to be considered "right"? Some people think I'm a delusional, dreamy, soppy nutter for being with an Egyptian, but hey, if I listened to them, well, where would the fun be?
I don't understand why people are being so bitter about it. So what, it isn't what you would do, that's the great thing about being individuals, we don't have to follow what others do and think.
It is her life, hers, no one is getting hurt, and it effects you in absolutely zero way, so why the anger?
And as for why it was in the news- well, hmmm- because it is interesting. It has even managed to get a thread in an Egyptian site! It offers great follow up potential, and gets people talking. Journalists are not stupid, had I discovered that story, hell yeah I would have wrote it.
No one is saying the woman is a hero, however, there is definitely something heroic about living your life how you wish without a care about some peoples judgemental views.

--------------------
Another one....

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It is a typical Daily Mail article!

I would love for somebody to define normal to me. If it means down right dull and predictable than I am glad my life is not normal.

tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its her life she is not hurting me or anyone she wants to do it then so be it ,she sure will have a happier life than i have got at the moment i do anything to go to the remotes part of Africa and live in a mud hut for some peace .

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
[QB]
quote:
Why? Because she is doing something you wouldn't do? Seems like a very weak argument for someones sanity. well its my argument and i'm sticking to it.

Like I said before, why does "normal" have to be considered "right"? Some people think I'm a delusional, dreamy, soppy nutter for being with an Egyptian, no comment [Wink] but hey, if I listened to them, well, where would the fun be?

I don't understand why people are being so
bitter about it. So what, it isn't what you would do, that's the great thing about being individuals, we don't have to follow what others do and think. No, but I would prefer it if you did [Big Grin]

It is her life, hers, no one is getting hurt, and it effects you in absolutely zero way, It affects me in every way, I have to listen to her self promoting drivel, why doesn't she go and help the homeless in her OWN country? Oh no, thats right, they are not so 'exotic'

so why the anger? Who's angry??

And as for why it was in the news- well, hmmm- because it is interesting. You actually find it interesting...? But as i said in the previous thread, if she were moving into a slum to live life with her poor english boyfriend, it would not be so 'interesting'...So then, you buy into the romanticising?

It has even managed to get a thread in an Egyptian site! lets face it, these days thats no great achievement [Wink]

It offers great follow up potential, and gets people talking. Journalists are not stupid, had I discovered that story, hell yeah I would have wrote it.
No one is saying the woman is a hero, however, there is definitely something heroic about living your life how you wish without a care about some peoples judgemental views. this has nothing to do with that, she could have done that without it being headline news! This isn't about a woman accomplishing something, its about a man, surprise surprise,

What is she? a pioneer, to all us 'normal' women? Most of those women in that village would probably gladly trade their life for hers. It might seem very dreamy and romantic, and 'brave'...but it isn't at all, its a whim. If you want to admire people that live their life on a whim...well good luck with that.
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by **cat**:
quote:
[QB]
quote:
Why? Because she is doing something you wouldn't do? Seems like a very weak argument for someones sanity. well its my argument and i'm sticking to it.

Like I said before, why does "normal" have to be considered "right"? Some people think I'm a delusional, dreamy, soppy nutter for being with an Egyptian, no comment [Wink] but hey, if I listened to them, well, where would the fun be?

I don't understand why people are being so
bitter about it. So what, it isn't what you would do, that's the great thing about being individuals, we don't have to follow what others do and think. No, but I would prefer it if you did [Big Grin]

It is her life, hers, no one is getting hurt, and it effects you in absolutely zero way, It affects me in every way, I have to listen to her self promoting drivel, why doesn't she go and help the homeless in her OWN country? Oh no, thats right, they are not so 'exotic'

so why the anger? Who's angry??

And as for why it was in the news- well, hmmm- because it is interesting. You actually find it interesting...? But as i said in the previous thread, if she were moving into a slum to live life with her poor english boyfriend, it would not be so 'interesting'...So then, you buy into the romanticising?

It has even managed to get a thread in an Egyptian site! lets face it, these days thats no great achievement [Wink]

It offers great follow up potential, and gets people talking. Journalists are not stupid, had I discovered that story, hell yeah I would have wrote it.
No one is saying the woman is a hero, however, there is definitely something heroic about living your life how you wish without a care about some peoples judgemental views. this has nothing to do with that, she could have done that without it being headline news! This isn't about a woman accomplishing something, its about a man, surprise surprise,

What is she? a pioneer, to all us 'normal' women? Most of those women in that village would probably gladly trade their life for hers. It might seem very dreamy and romantic, and 'brave'...but it isn't at all, its a whim. If you want to admire people that live their life on a whim...well good luck with that.
I think we all lived our life on a wim and look where it got us an asshole [Frown]
Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
well trust me, if they had written this article because she was going over there to teach, I would have a different response entirely. But the fact is they DIDN'T. Men are men wherever they are from, and women are women...Therefore IMO, she is nothing special for going over there for a relationship, there is no 'woo' 'ahh how lovely' 'good luck' to be said.

I dont walk around town saying 'good luck' 'ahh' to every couple I bump into in Asda...so why her?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Maybe it is not the lives and the countries that you choose but the men!!

I bet she is a damn sight happier than some of the moany arses on here [Big Grin]

I love doing things on a whim, spontinaety is my food for life and I have no regrets [Big Grin]

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Absolutely Cheeky, because whimsical females are what the world needs more of! [Big Grin]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
You actually find it interesting...? But as i said in the previous thread, if she were moving into a slum to live life with her poor english boyfriend, it would not be so 'interesting'...So then, you buy into the romanticising?
Obviously, you find it extremely dull, which is why you are commenting on it [Big Grin]

quote:
It affects me in every way, I have to listen to her self promoting drivel, why doesn't she go and help the homeless in her OWN country? Oh no, thats right, they are not so 'exotic'
Or maybe because you can't really compare the homelessness in our country, to that abroad. Exactly how many children do you see dying of starvation in London’s streets? I never understood why people should fight for their country, before another’s. What makes it theirs? It is a mere slab of land you happen to be born on by mere chance, why should that make you care about it more than the next slab of land?
And no, you don't have to listen to her. This is what you do... shhh, its top secret... you turn the page over and read the next news article, lol. Maybe on the next page it will be about a new panda in a zoo, would that be more to your liking?
I bet you the press was more than happy to write up this story, she didn't need the chase them down. You can always read financial times if human-interest stories are too much for you.

I'm not saying people who have "normal" lives are wrong, they just should not care if other people don't want that. I have heard some pretty weird and interesting ways of people meeting a falling in love… but let me guess, they are all wrong, because it wasn’t the “normal” meeting, down the pub, via a mate.

--------------------
Another one....

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, sorry for the length of the post. Some times old memories come flooding back.

please dont apologize, it was a wonderful post which I thoroughly enjoyed reading, would love to read more and the good stories too.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
I bet hes cosing up to her with sheepskin ruggies [Wink] and cowdung plastered walls lovely [Big Grin] i am jealous

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
You actually find it interesting...? But as i said in the previous thread, if she were moving into a slum to live life with her poor english boyfriend, it would not be so 'interesting'...So then, you buy into the romanticising?
Obviously, you find it extremely dull, which is why you are commenting on it [Big Grin]

quote:
It affects me in every way, I have to listen to her self promoting drivel, why doesn't she go and help the homeless in her OWN country? Oh no, thats right, they are not so 'exotic'
Or maybe because you can't really compare the homelessness in our country, to that abroad. Exactly how many children do you see dying of starvation in London’s streets? I never understood why people should fight for their country, before another’s. What makes it theirs? It is a mere slab of land you happen to be born on by mere chance, why should that make you care about it more than the next slab of land?
And no, you don't have to listen to her. This is what you do... shhh, its top secret... you turn the page over and read the next news article, lol. Maybe on the next page it will be about a new panda in a zoo, would that be more to your liking?
I bet you the press was more than happy to write up this story, she didn't need the chase them down. You can always read financial times if human-interest stories are too much for you.

I'm not saying people who have "normal" lives are wrong, they just should not care if other people don't want that. I have heard some pretty weird and interesting ways of people meeting a falling in love… but let me guess, they are all wrong, because it wasn’t the “normal” meeting, down the pub, via a mate.

Yes you know me so well, Pandas are my thing [Wink]

See i'm confused, because this article really isn't about human welfare at all, one minute you say it is, the next you say its about finding 'true love'.

I have already said, I would be more than happy to support someone who gives their time for a better cause, but the article was not written for that purspose, if anything, the good samaritain part was just a sideline. The focus was 'marrying a man, that lives in a small village in Africa'

Why did they write it? 1. Because trash sells, or 'take a break' 'OK' 'your life' magazines would not sell more than 'New internationalist'

2. it makes heads turn for two reasons, sensible people say 'WTF?' and dreamy people say 'ahh how sweet' and those same people will be spending THEIR lives looking for that 'special' man, that 'might just be different' because he lives in outer mongolia... well he wont, it will be no more special than the boy next door COULD be...the fact he lives in a hot country, wears colourful clothes and has an accent will not stop him being a man.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Did I ever tell you about the time I walked the Hiamlaya to raise £45k for deaf children in the UK and Nepal??? Thought i would pop that in there. I care about ALL people, all people everywhere [Big Grin]

My life may be whimsical, but I do more good than most people I know and I wouldn't change who I am for all the tea in China [Big Grin]

Maybe my Special Needs nursery in Cairo won't help English kids, but it will be helping kids and I for one do not agree with a postcode lotto, let alone a continental one! As far as I am concerned children are children. I don't care where they are homeless, FFS, they are homeless!!!!

Thank you Ayisha, I have considered writing a fictional story based around some of my travels. [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yeah WK, we all want an English chav who wears burberry and grunts lol... wow. Maybe this woman likes all what he has to offer. It might not be your cup of tea today Cat but I think men aren't your cup of tea today lol [Wink]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Pandas are everyone’s thing, which is why all the papers rave about them whenever a new one is born.
http://rowhouselogic.com/Llama/panda3.jpg soooo cute (although, if you ask me, red pandas are cuter).

It isn't about charity, I know that. I didn't mention that, just replying to your point. It is a romance story, which gets the two reactions you mentioned. Which is why it is a good story, because it gets reactions, and that is what a journalist strives for.

It doesn't matter if he is just a normal man, he is the guy she fell in love with. Even if it is just a silly romance, who cares. It works for her, at least at the moment it is. The world would be a boring place if we were are sensible and talking about pandas all the time

--------------------
Another one....

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
quote:
Yeah WK, we all want an English chav who wears burberry and grunts lol... wow. Maybe this woman likes all what he has to offer. It might not be your cup of tea today Cat but I think men aren't your cup of tea today lol [Wink]

Nah not really, I'm just messing with you all mostly.

But for all the things you have done Cheeky, which I DO have a lot of respect for. Did you do them because of a man, or because of the cause?

AND spontaneity is different to whimsical.

Actually, now this is the truth, I have nothing against a woman going anywhere and marrying a peruvian goat if that takes her fancy. What really wound me up were the 'oohs' and 'aahs' and 'good lucks'.

Because, IMO it doesn't make her a hero, a role model, nothing, so it doesnt warrant coverage.

AND, you know, what you said is quite narrow minded in itself. You made a joke of an English Chav wearing Burberry? So are you saying that if i come on here saying 'I'm moving to Harlow to marry my English Burberry wearing Chav' I will not recieve 'oohs' and 'aahhs'.

OF COURSE I WONT, which is my point entirely, what makes Mr Africa special and Mr Burberry not? They are still people, they are still men, they may both still live in poverty relative to their environment...

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
If you met a guy worthy of marrying, especially seeing as you should have gone to specsavers, I would ooh and aah as I would be happy that you saw beyond the cover and read the book [Big Grin]

I have actually left my partner at home while I went off on my jaunts. I went because I am passionate about volunteering and giving time to people in need.

Ever considered there really is just no news and it was a space filler lol...

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Erm... Not to be too obvious... BUT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HARLOW!!!!!??????
Ahem.
Have I mentioned it before, or was that just serious consequence?

--------------------
Another one....

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
If you mean Coincidence, yes it was kittycat, dont worry, you dont wanna go falling off those white high heels [Wink] [Big Grin]
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So let me get this straight. There are actually different social classes in the UK? We are not all equal after all, no matter what our education, history, etc?

And a "chav in (what I can only assume is fake or stolen) burberry is a turn-off to many a UK-born woman?

But...but...how can they (or their friends) fall for the egyptian chav-equivalent so deeply and defend the poor chap so fiercely on ES?

It's so cute when you poke fun at the lower class in your own country and then bash people who try to point out the Egyptian equivalent.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
lmao...WK.... never get consequence and coincidence mixed up!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com