EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Need help from an Egyptian speaker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help from an Egyptian speaker
HiMyNameIs
Member # 17124

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HiMyNameIs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All
I need help from a native Egyptian speaker. I want to know what ya koko means and specifically what it means when a girl is writing it to a guy? Is it a flirt or what? Thanks

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She Bo
Ne Mo
Se Se

Is it one of those shortened versions of a name, like those?

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiMyNameIs
Member # 17124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiMyNameIs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for replying, no it is koko, which is not a shortened version of the guys name. I am told it sounds more like kuku like cuckoo clock.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
to_hell_and_back
Member # 16710

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for to_hell_and_back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its the sound a bird makes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAzNlrjf-Q&sns=em

goto 1:50...lemby tell ya all about it lol

this songs called hobb eh eih "what is love" and he refers to her as a bird when he makes the clicking tongue sound and goes kukukuku

Posts: 59 | From: killadelphia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chicken or bird
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HiMyNameIs:
Hello All
I need help from a native Egyptian speaker. I want to know what ya koko means and specifically what it means when a girl is writing it to a guy? Is it a flirt or what? Thanks

"Ya" is said in conversation prior to saying a person's name. Could be similar to the English "hey" as a way of getting someone's attention. It lets the person know that the speaker (or writer) is about to say something directly to them.

Hey Mary...Hey John. Egyptians would say "Ya". Ya Mohamed. Ya Mariam.

Koko can just be a term of endearment. I have heard several of these in Egyptian Arabic: dodo, sho sho. Kind of like a pet name that has no meaning or translation but not as strong as saying "honey" or "sweetie" or "habibi".

So if I read that in writing from a girl to a guy, I would absoltely perceive it as being a flirtatious comment.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocative_case

"Ya Bloggs" is the equivalent of the arabic vocative case which has fallen in to disuse in English.

Arabic

Properly speaking, Arabic only has three cases, the nominative, accusative and genitive. However, a meaning similar to that conveyed by the vocative case in other languages is indicated by the use of the particle ya (Arabic: يا‎) placed before a noun. In English translations, this is often translated literally as O instead of being omitted.[1][2]
[edit]

It used to be "O Bloggs", rarely seen outside of poetry these days.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:
Hello All

"Ya" is said in conversation prior to saying a person's name. Could be similar to the English "hey" as a way of getting someone's attention. It lets the person know that the speaker (or writer) is about to say something directly to them.

Hey Mary...Hey John. Egyptians would say "Ya". Ya Mohamed. Ya Mariam.

Koko can just be a term of endearment. I have heard several of these in Egyptian Arabic: dodo, sho sho. Kind of like a pet name that has no meaning or translation but not as strong as saying "honey" or "sweetie" or "habibi".

So if I read that in writing from a girl to a guy, I would absoltely perceive it as being a flirtatious comment.

Totally my same thoughts.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocative_case

"Ya Bloggs" is the equivalent of the arabic vocative case which has fallen in to disuse in English.

Arabic

Properly speaking, Arabic only has three cases, the nominative, accusative and genitive. However, a meaning similar to that conveyed by the vocative case in other languages is indicated by the use of the particle ya (Arabic: يا‎) placed before a noun. In English translations, this is often translated literally as O instead of being omitted.[1][2]
[edit]

It used to be "O Bloggs", rarely seen outside of poetry these days.

Hark! That be ye olde English.

O ye of little faith... wherefore art thou

I think I'm happy we don't still talk like this.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O CQSY
Why art thou glad we dont speaketh like this anymore?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like some sort of Shakespearean English [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

it is [Big Grin]
HiMyNameIs
Member # 17124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiMyNameIs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Clear and QSY. I knew that it was flirting, I wanted to verify that I was not overreacting.

Thank you also to hell and back, this is further proof to me.

I am amazed by the women here that will flirt with married men, it is a totally different cultural attitude.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Thy face looketh valenced.
The lady doth protest too much.

That's the only Shakespeare I know.

@Shanta - I can barely understand British English as it is spoken today - imagine if old English was still being used. [Eek!]

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am amazed by the women here that will flirt with married men, it is a totally different cultural attitude.

"If he doesn't have four,
he has room for more!"

That's what they tell me, anyway.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No it is not [Roll Eyes] You people are useless.
It doesn't mean anything at all. How many years have you lived in Egypt again? [Confused]

Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sandal:
quote:

No it is not [Roll Eyes] You people are useless.
It doesn't mean anything at all. How many years have you lived in Egypt again? [Confused]

2 years and I wouldn't go around saying "ya koko" or calling people dodo or sho sho unless I had some kind of close personal relationship with them. Mostly I hear women speaking to their babies like this. So if a grown woman says it to a man she is intending to be "cute" and flirty.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term koko is used after the word sitt(only feminine) as in 'sitt kuku' to indicate that this girl is a twit.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
koko, kuku, cocoa, kiki, kiku, kayko, keku, kaka, kaku, kako, kake, keke, kuki, kuka, kuko......

Are we talking about Japanese women here? Who is a twit?

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
koko, kuku, cocoa, kiki, kiku, kayko, keku, kaka, kaku, kako, kake, keke, kuki, kuka, kuko......

Are we talking about Japanese women here? Who is a twit?

Now Dzosser will come back and tell you he's the Egyptian here,thus the one to believe in . [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Razz]
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello All

It doesn't matter, they never say what they mean and they never mean what they say. Take it all with a grain of salt and two tons of horseshit.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sash's remark qualifies her as a perfect 'Sitt Kuku'.. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
So how does "Sitt Kuku" relate to "Ya Koko"

When you said Sitt Kuku it reminded me of this.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member

Nothing..just felt like saying anything on this hollow thread. [Razz]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Nothing..just felt like saying anything on this hollow thread. [Razz]

Ya Dzosser, I think your head is hollow too. [Big Grin]

(Just kidding [Razz] )

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Sash's remark qualifies her as a perfect 'Sitt Kuku'.. [Big Grin] [Razz]

*grabs a handful of sand from the closest dune and throws it into Dzosser's eyes*
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Ya Dzosser, I think your head is hollow too. [Big Grin]

Too much ES exposure I guess.. [Confused] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,Koko might be something like Hamada .

My Grandmather's name was Ekram and we her brothers used to call her Koko ,for Example Kuko to Ekram is the same as hamada to Ahmed

but might be used as an insult too.

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
]It doesn't matter, they never say what they mean and they never mean what they say. Take it all with a grain of salt and two tons of horseshit. [/QB]

VanilaBulshit says Horseshit!!

*whatever*

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of my friends say ya before they say a persons name, simular to ya habibi or ya habibity.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesuvius
Member # 16853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesuvius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think the reason is not this 'kukukokokiki' thing, but the fact he is talking to this girl.

Sounds like you dont trust him and its deeper than these few words. What has happened to make you not trust him?

Posts: 140 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a lad called Eyad and his nickname is Kuki.... And I know an Ahmed called Dodo, a Youssef called Yuppi, they are just affectionate names and even I call them this. I have a friend in his early 60's his name is Tarek and we all call him Tikka... it is just a nick... not necessarily flirting.

It is quite common.

I say 'ya' a lot here. Ya yuppi for e.g is just a way of me getting my friends attention.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I know a lad called Eyad and his nickname is Kuki.... And I know an Ahmed called Dodo, a Youssef called Yuppi, they are just affectionate names and even I call them this. I have a friend in his early 60's his name is Tarek and we all call him Tikka... it is just a nick... not necessarily flirting.

It is quite common.

I say 'ya' a lot here. Ya yuppi for e.g is just a way of me getting my friends attention.

I usually hear women doing it with their children. A 60 year old man who uses cute nicknames like that is ok, but I'm sure only his close personal friends would call him this. It would hardly seem normal for his colleagues at work for example to say "ya Tikka". Of course that is my opinion.

Maybe it is different in Egypt, but I could not imagine being in the US and calling a person I did not know very well - let alone a married man or an older man - by a cutsie nickname. If I did this of course he would think I was flirting with him.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was introduced to Tikka as Tikka...

I can assure I do not flirt with him, he is older than my Dad [Wink]

I guess it all depends on the level of friendships and closeness...

My family have a nick for me though that no one else uses, it is not a flirtatious thing lol, but it is family.

In the workplace I never heard any of my colleagues nicks but if I did I would call it them. Mt best friend Hanna was simply H to me [Big Grin]

Go tot the Nickname application on FB and see what Egyptians call each other. It is not uncommon for friends to talk like this to each other

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Again, you are mentioning FRIENDS. Of course it is not uncommon for friends to use nicknames with each other.

But the OP did not indicate if the person doing the writing and being written to were friends. If they were friends, the OP might not be so concerned about the nickname being used.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:

My family have a nick for me though that no one else uses, it is not a flirtatious thing lol, but it is family.

Oh, do tell what it is. I'll start using it [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
I was introduced to Tikka as Tikka...

I can assure I do not flirt with him, he is older than my Dad [Wink]

I guess it all depends on the level of friendships and closeness...

In the workplace I never heard any of my colleagues nicks but if I did I would call it them. Mt best friend Hanna was simply H to me [Big Grin]

Go tot the Nickname application on FB and see what Egyptians call each other. It is not uncommon for friends to talk like this to each other

Like Chicken Tikka? [Big Grin]

http://www.yallabina.com/Outing/RestaurantInfo.aspx?OID=5320&ref=rss&CityId=1&Typ=2

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yup, exactly the same...

QSL, I cannot divulge lol.. my nicks are way too stupid!

One name I have had since I was a toddler and is rather embarassing [Big Grin]

My close friends do call me Ferret though...

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
When a girl writes it to a guy the assumption I would make is they are friends. Nothing more or less, it is just endearment between people who are familiar with one an other.

I think the OP is worried that they are more than friends but it is hard to ascertain from someone saying hello to a friend in a familiar way.

Best way to find out if there is a hidden meaning behind this is to ask him.. call me old fashioned [Big Grin]

But personally, I would see them as just mates chatting.

QSL, my colleagues were my friends... I would never expect a stranger to want to call me a nick and I would never want to be called Ferret by a random.

But you could if you wished, hence my believing it is innocent. What's in a name?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com