EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Back to the extremely basic lessons of the nature of African diversity!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Back to the extremely basic lessons of the nature of African diversity!
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just about had it with certain posters acting [dumb] as though that the issue at hand, in terms of African physical diversity, concerns making the case that all Africans look exactly the same. This is just hogwash designed to deflect attention from the REAL issue at hand, which is that, physical types, a.k.a. the so-called "elongated" and "broad" facial physiognomies, cannot be pinned down to the "West African" or "East African" look. We have been through this issue time and again, and one would think that out of constant repetition, it would finally sink in, but apparently, that isn't the case.

Here is how Hiernaux appropriately noted his observations of African physical types he came across:

-

Notice how Hiernaux, back at a time when his contemporaries were pinning "stereotypes" on Africans, doesn't pin matters down to the "West African" look, "North African" look, "East African" look and so on.

Yes, physical variations exist in Africa; what you cannot do, is pin down a definite combination of facial characteristics or facial features to one particular region. There are both "broad" and not so "broad" facial types in both West and East Africa. There are differences between Ethiopians, as there are differences between Ethiopians and Nigerians, and vice versa. Picking one or two nations out of West Africa or East Africa, doesn't even begin to deal with the realities of physical variations in all regions involved. No African region is more physically diverse than Eastern Africa, and yet, there is somehow supposed to be a generic "East African" look.

There have been both "broad" and "elongated" facial types in the Nile Valley, since the earliest human colonizations of the region. The Natufians for instance, didn't show strong affinities with Niger-congo speaking groups for nothing, in Brace et al, L. Angel, Miss Garod, or Furon's observations. And the Natufians were supposed to be inhabitants of Neolithic LEVANTINE!!!

More from Hiernaux, and mind you, all of this is not new. They have all been repetitively posted on this site!

Jean Hiernaux, "The People of Africa", 1975 p.147

"Compared to the Elongated East Africans, the four Nilotic groups are taller and a **narrower head** in both absolute and relative terms (their cephalic index is much lower), also a lower and **wider nose** resulting in a much higher nasal index."

Well, well, well! What do we have here, in this observation? It looks like the studied Nilotic groups exhibit "narrower" heads, yet "wider" noses, than the studied so-called Elongated East African groups, who exihibited relatively "broader" heads, but "narrower" nasal index. These Nilotes are without a doubt native East Africans! Even so, for instance, there are native Ethiopians who exhibit both "wider" nasal index and "broad" faces.

We have been informed earlier [by Topdog] that the Nilotic groups studied here were, "Shilluk, Annuak, Nuer, and Dinka."

Jean Hiernaux "The People of Africa" 1975

p.53, 54

"In sub-Saharan Africa, many anthropological characters show a wide range of population means or frequencies. In some of them, the **whole world range** is covered in the sub-continent.

Here live the shortest and the tallest human populations, the one with the highest and the one with the lowest nose, the one with the thickest and the one with the thinnest lips in the world. In this area, the range of the **average nose widths** covers **92 percent** of the world range:

**only a narrow range of extremely low means are absent from the African record.**
Means for head diameters cover about 80 per cent of the world range; 60 per cent is the corresponding value for a variable once cherished by physical anthropologists, the cephalic index, or ratio of the head width to head length expressed as a percentage....."

And now, for those who insist that there is a definitive "West African" look and "East African" look, well, here’s your chance to produce the material of your claims:

Please point out what rigid, non-variant combination of facial characteristics that these looks correspond to, and which encompass the entire populations in either regions! If there is a "West African" look, it would imply that nobody outside "West Africa" can have those facial characteristics, not to mention that no "West African" group can fall outside this rigidly defined "West African" look. The same can be said about the "East African" look.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zaki85
Member # 9688

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zaki85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herero elongated?

-
 -
 -

????

Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think that anyone is going to take you up on your challenge supercar because most people just think that their is a west african and east african look when there really is not. Some people just want to believe that their is a big difference when their really is not. I also would like to see people prove that their is a west african look and a east african look.
Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Africa!
Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
Go to Africa!

Thought Writes:

What does this mean?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zaki85
Member # 9688

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zaki85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
I dont think that anyone is going to take you up on your challenge supercar because most people just think that their is a west african and east african look when there really is not. Some people just want to believe that their is a big difference when their really is not. I also would like to see people prove that their is a west african look and a east african look.

theres a west african look imo vast majority of the fulanis or touaregs look nothing like horn africans.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zaki85
Member # 9688

Rate Member
can anybody answer the question how are hereros/himbas elongated? they look like regular \'\'bantus\'\' to me.
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
imo vast majority of the fulanis or touaregs look nothing like horn africans
No offense, but your opinion is completely unsubstantiated and so has no probative value. It's just a statement of bias, argued thru repetition fallacy - (repeating instead of proving)

Read Cavelli Sforza The History and Geography of Human Genes.; which also cites Hiernaux and reproduces the chart from Hiernaux's The People of Africa which you should also read.

You will learn that, unlike the Fulani, the Touareg are actually very closely related, both genetically and linguistically to many East Africans, including the Beja, and moreover can be shown historically to come from East Africa.

Don't just argue for the sake of listening to yourself rant, read and learn. [Smile]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The topic [plus link] heading below:

THE FULANI RESEMBLE EAST AFRICANS

And this following piece by its author...

quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:

The Fulani of Nigeria seem to resemble East African Somali's in looks. What do the experts on Egyptsearch can tell us about this People? Are they SSA(a designation I detest!)? I believe that there are many types of Africans, all over Africa, and this sharp distinction between Nord and South of the Sahara is non-sense.

^...make one thing very clear about the said topic, and why it serves as a pristine example of what this thread had been initiated to tackle: that the heading of the topic [aka THE FULANI RESEMBLE EAST AFRICANS] is a joke, and it bespeaks of its author's never having set foot in west Africa, and quite very likely, anywhere in Africa.

Bottom line: Read and learn what the introductory notes here are relaying!

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since ES AE is shut down I'll answer Boofer here:

You may want to peep this thread
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004603

quote:
Originally posted by Boofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Fulani mtDNA is about as West African as their y-chromosomal DNA which is about 100% E3a. As for North Africans themselves like Tuareg there is nil West Asian female lineages especially considering that Tuareg are matrilineal and therefore do not usually marry women from other groups, and they definitely do not sell their daughters off as property!! Yes there was white slavery in that women and even some men from Europe were sold as slaves by and to other Muslims, but that is a different story. No doubt Osirion is still espousing the same nonsense that North African mt lineage U6 is West Asian (Hebrew LOL) despite all evidence to the contrary that it is indigenous. [Embarrassed]

Well, Fulani groups have about 8.1% West Asian/North African influence (west eurasian and North African are grouped together). edit: this is mtdna i'm talking about by the way.

quote:
In addition, it is worth noting that 15 sequences (8.1%) of North African/Eurasian origin (U5, V, J1b, and one sequence corresponding to the Cambridge Reference Sequence) occurred.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3659/is_200602/ai_n17186281/pg_4

Somebody who is well read in genetics should read this, because the same study also mentions that fulani groups have 79.6% haplogroups of West African Origin. This still leaves 12.3% of the total left. Where do the remaining haplotypes come from? Elsewhere in Africa? What do you guys think?

Also, I haven't read any y dna studies on the fulani, but I do recall hearing about T haplotypes being found to a relatively significant degree in the fulani population. Is this true?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Whatever may be said of Hiernaux's attempt at producing a new system of "racial" classification, presumably one that is strongly reliant on linguistic relationship...according to the piece above, there is nothing in the particular Hiernaux chart above that invokes "racial classification" particularly along linguistic lines or idealized types based on "Geographic"-compartmentalization stereotyping, granted that a questionable anthropological term like "pygmoid" does appear on the said chart. This is not to say that Hiernaux does not have any other faults in the chart in question, because I have said elsewhere,...

Originally posted by Sundiata - 13 June, 2007:

I like Hiernaux's objective approach to the data and his "elongated African" concept or observation seems to have shattered many previous mis-conceptions. These elongated Africans found in Kenya/Tanzania obviously must have shared recent common ancestry with Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eriteans/Askumites, in addition to the Tutsi and Burundi, etc since these features are most prevalent on that side of the continent...

My reply - 13 June, 2007:

Actually, they are just as prevalent in west Africa, as is the so-called 'broad type' just as prevalent in east Africa. These appellations in my opinion, are still very misleading, because they still suggest fixed archetypes; reality is much more complex than that. Given as a description for limb/body proportions ratio, as Hiernaux had done elsewhere, would be the more appropriate use of the term, rather than as a suggestive term for cranio-metric morphology.

I added that:

To demonstrate this, as a mere exemplary recap from Hiernaux himself:

"Compared to the Elongated East Africans, the four Nilotic groups are taller and a narrower head in both absolute and relative terms(their cephalic index is much lower), also a lower and wider nose resulting in a much higher nasal index." - Jean Hiernaux, "The People of Africa", 1975 p.147.

^Based on his description, certainly the said Nilotics by head size and body height would be considered "elongated" in body proportions; however, as he proclaimed, they had relatively wider nasal index. On the other hand, by head size and perhaps body stature the so-called 'elongated Africans' wouldn't have been relatively as 'elongated' as the Nilotic guys in question, now would they? LOL. This is a relatively simple example, but people can and do come with any combination of phenotype that don't necessarily fit seemingly fixed archetypes, as implied by typological appellation. But like I said earlier, as a description for body proportions, 'elongated' makes more sense imo...as it seems to be the case in the following Hiernaux presentation, save for the bit about the singling-out of Nilotes amongst groups with such 'elongated' body build. Also, not all the so-called 'elongated people' of what he dubs 'East Africa' are 'intermediate' in skin color; some non-Nilotic speaking groups there actually do approach the dark hue seen amongst certain Nilotic-speaking groups. Moreover, 'Nilotes' too are largely east Africans - just to name yet another one of those few things wrong about Hiernaux's 1975 presentation. I think I know the rationale behind doing so, but that doesn't make it right anyway.

From: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000050;p=5

^So Hiernaux's dichotomy between Nilotes and the "Elongated Africans", while still seemingly placing them in the same camp, does harken back to idealizing or stereotyping along phenotypic lines in its own way; still, this says nothing of an idealized "West African", "East African" look or the like -- Hiernaux's so-called Elongated Africans camp in fact crosscuts these geographical entities. To this end, the 1975 chart serves the purpose it was posted here for: busting the myth of geographically-compartmentalized idealized archetypes! Notice that unlike the *idealizing* element with respect to the cranio-facial description found under "physical type" about his "Elongated and Nilotes" camp and to a lesser extent, Khoisans vis-a-vis the "eye folds", it seems as though Hiernaux decided to play it safe with regards to his "Pygmy and Pygmoid", "W. Sudan and Guinea Rain Forest" and "Bantu" camps, by limiting his description to just stature; it is safe to assume that there is considerable enough degree of cranio-metric variability amongst these groups. As noted above, even the idea of "broad" vs. "elongated" facial [as opposed to body proportions] archetypes can be misleading, as exemplified in Hiernaux's cranio-facial observations about his Nilotic and other "undesignated" East African samples; in this instance, it would be a tad misleading to say that the Nilotic groups have a 'broad facial' type, simply on the account that wider nasal index was more frequent in that sample compared to that of the other East African counterparts, when in fact, cephalic index shows narrower heads were more prevalent in that group than the other. Having a "narrow" nasal index does not automatically mean [nor a predictor of] having a lower cephalic index and vice versa, nor does it imply there can't be cranio-facial types that have both at the same time.

Boofer
Member # 15638

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boofer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
[QB] Since ES AE is shut down I'll answer Boofer here:

That's pretty interesting (about U5/U6) but it didn't answer my question. I was wondering what the rest of the haplogroups were besides the mentioned West African haplogroups (79.6%) and the supposedly Eurasian haplogroups, which included U5 (8.1%). That leaves 12.3% of the haplogroups not mentioned in the study.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you actually read my quote? I'm not entirely ignorant about these matters, you know?
I see that your thread on this was in 2005. Quess what, I joined just a few months ago. It's like school, the teacher has to teach the same stuff year in year out. But do watch the anger you display here, it cannot possibly be about this. You might have issues in your private life which spill out here. Please try to show a little more breeding, decorum and humor. Please!

quote:
Originally posted by Explorateur:
The topic [plus link] heading below:

THE FULANI RESEMBLE EAST AFRICANS

And this following piece by its author...

quote:

The Fulani of Nigeria seem to resemble East African Somali's in looks. What do the experts on Egyptsearch can tell us about this People? Are they SSA(a designation I detest!)? I believe that there are many types of Africans, all over Africa, and this sharp distinction between Nord and South of the Sahara is non-sense.

^...make one thing very clear about the said topic, and why it serves as a pristine example of what this thread had been initiated to tackle: that the heading of the topic [aka THE FULANI RESEMBLE EAST AFRICANS] is a joke, and it bespeaks of its author's never having set foot in west Africa, and quite very likely, anywhere in Africa.

Bottom line: Read and learn what the introductory notes here are relaying!

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:

Did you actually read my quote?

What does my post say about your quote?

quote:
Egmond Codfried writes:

I'm not entirely ignorant about these matters, you know?[/b]

Why then do you write ignorant things which suggest that you are?

quote:
Egmond Codfried writes:

I see that your thread on this was in 2005. Quess what, I joined just a few months ago.

By which, I take it that you presume that you are to be given a free-hand to display ignorance about Africans?

quote:
Egmond Codfried:

It's like school, the teacher has to teach the same stuff year in year out. But do watch the anger you display here, it cannot possibly be about this. You might have issues in your private life which spill out here. Please try to show a little more breeding, decorum and humor. Please!

I'll be happy to examine why you think correcting your ignorant assessment of an African group is tantamount to "having issues" that is supposedly different from the objective of stamping out spread of ignorance like say, the example you displayed; in other words, tell me why you think that correcting you is somehow reflective of something being wrong others who correct you, rather than yourself for coming to such a wacky conclusion in the first place.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
code:

Number Haplogroup Fulani Group
Bongor Tcheboua Tindangou Banfora Total

hpt1 LI* 1 1
hpt2 LI* 1 1
hpt3 LI* 1 1
hpt4 Lib 1 1
hpt5 Lib 1 1
hpt6 Lib 3 2 1 4 10
hpt7 Lib 1 1
hpt8 Lib 1 1
hpt9 Lib 2 2 1 3 8
hpt10 Lib 5 4 8 6 23
hpt11 Lib 1 1
hpt12 Lib 2 2
hpt13 Lib 2 2
hpt14 Lic 1 1
hpt15 Lic 1 1
hpt16 L2a 1 1
hpt17 L2a 1 1
hpt18 L2a 1 1
hpt19 L2a 1 1
hpt20 L2a 1 1
hpt21 L2a 1 1
hpt22 L2a 1 1
hpt23 L2b 2 1 3
hpt24 L2b 2 3 1 4 10
hpt25 L2b 1 1
hpt26 L2b 1 1
hpt27 L2c 1 1
hpt28 L2c 1 1
hpt29 L2c 1 3 4 4 12
hpt30 L2c 2 1 3
hpt31 L2d 1 3 4
hpt32 L3* 1 1
hpt33 L3* 1 1
hpt34 L3b/d 1 1
hpt35 L3b/d 1 1
hpt36 L3b/d 1 1
hpt37 L3b/d 1 1
hpt38 L3b/d 6 2 7 15
hpt39 L3b/d 3 2 1 2 8
hpt40 L3b/d 1
hpt41 L3b/d 1 1
hpt42 L3b/d 1 1
hpt43 L3b/d 11 4 11 4 30
hpt44 L3b/d 1 1
hpt45 L3b/d 1 1
hpt46 L3e 1 1
hpt47 L3e 2 2
hpt48 L3e 1 1
hpt49 L3e 1 1
hpt50 L3e 1 1
hpt51 L3f 1 1
hpt52 L3f 1 1
hpt53 L3f 1 1
hpt54 U5 3 2 5
hpt55 U5 1 1
hpt56 V 1 1
hpt57 J1b 5 2 7
hpt58 H 1 1
Total 49 40 47 50 186

quote:
quote:
[QB] Since ES AE is shut down I'll answer Boofer here:

That's pretty interesting (about U5/U6) but it didn't answer my question. I was wondering what the rest of the haplogroups were besides the mentioned West African haplogroups (79.6%) and the supposedly Eurasian haplogroups, which included U5 (8.1%). That leaves 12.3% of the haplogroups not mentioned in the study.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
code:

Control Region Sequences of Four Groups of Fulani Nomads
Number HVS-I Motif
hpt1 172 183C 189 219 278
hpt2 172 183C 189 223 284 320
hpt3 172 183C 189 223 311 320 358
hpt4 069 093 126 187 189 223 264 270 278 293 311
hpt5 093 126 187 189 223 255 264 270 278 293 311
hpt6 093 126 187 189 223 264 270 278 293 311
hpt7 126 170 187 189 223 264 270 278 293 311
hpt8 126 184 187 189 223 260 264 270 278 293 311
hpt9 126 187 189 213 223 260 264 270 278 293 311
hpt10 126 187 189 223 264 270 278 293 311
hpt11 126 187 189 223 264 270 278 311
hpt12 126 187 189 223 264 270 278 311 368
hpt13 126 187 189 223 270 278 293 311
hpt14 038 129 187 189 223 256 278 284 293 294 311 360
hpt15 129 180 182 183 189 215 223 278 294 311 355 360
hpt16 086 223 278 286 294 309 390
hpt17 136 183C 189 223 229 270 278 291 294 311
hpt18 182 183C 189 223 278 290 294 309
hpt19 183 189 223 278 294
hpt20 189 192 223 278 294 309
hpt21 189 223 278 294 309
hpt22 223 278 294 309 390
hpt23 075 114A 129 213 223 278 390
hpt24 114A 129 213 223 278 294 355 362 390
hpt25 114A 129 213 223 278 355 362 368 390
hpt26 114A 213 223 278 362 390
hpt27 192 223 278 390
hpt28 192 223 278 311 390
hpt29 223 278 390
hpt30 223 278 355 390
hpt31 111A 145 184 223 239 278 292 355 390
hpt32 041 129 223
hpt33 041 223
hpt34 048 124 223 278 362
hpt35 086 124 223 278 311 362
hpt36 124 182 183 189 223 278 362
hpt37 124 223 278 318T
hpt38 124 223 278 362
hpt39 124 223 319 362
hpt40 093 223 278
hpt41 093 223 278 311 362
hpt42 093 223 278 355 362
hpt43 093 223 278 362
hpt44 189 223 278 358 362
hpt45 189 223 278 362
hpt46 124 223 327
hpt47 150 172 189 223 224 320
hpt48 172 183 189 209 223 234 311 319 320
hpt49 187 223 327
hpt50 223 311 320
hpt51 176 209 223
hpt52 183 189 209 223 311
hpt53 209 223 311
hpt54 189 192 270 320
hpt55 189 270 320
hpt56 298
hpt57 145 222
hpt58 Cambridge Reference Sequence

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Explorador
Member # 14778

Thanks for posting that table. It turns out to be as predicted...

quote:
Originally posted by Explorateur:

quote:

I read the study, but as I said, all of the technical lingo goes over my head because i'm not well read in genetics. Either way, I did not see where they mentioned the remainder, which is why I supplied a link and asked other people to. I was interested in whether it suggested admixture from outside of africa or not. I'm guessing not, by the way.

Given what was available from your link, including the mention of the 79.6% markers of West African origin, and the other 8.1% suggestive of coastal northwest African ancestry, it would appear that the remaining 12.3% of the sample were either "Pan-African" or "non-West African-specific" African markers.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:

I've just about had it with certain posters acting [dumb] as though that the issue at hand, in terms of African physical diversity, concerns making the case that all Africans look exactly the same. This is just hogwash designed to deflect attention from the REAL issue at hand, which is that, physical types, a.k.a. the so-called "elongated" and "broad" facial physiognomies, cannot be pinned down to the "West African" or "East African" look...

Notice how Hiernaux, back at a time when his contemporaries were pinning "stereotypes" on Africans, doesn't pin matters down to the "West African" look, "North African" look, "East African" look and so on.

Yes, physical variations exist in Africa; what you cannot do, is pin down a definite combination of facial characteristics or facial features to one particular region. There are both "broad" and not so "broad" facial types in both West and East Africa...

Given the obviousness intuitive from the cotext of the posting it was presented in, getting the context of that highlighted bit should not be too much trouble, but still, there is a rare possibility that it may be open to being taken out of context or misunderstood.

So, perhaps another way to phrase the above, to leave an even smaller room for placing it out of context [wittingly or otherwise], would be:

"Yes, physical variations exist in Africa; what you cannot do, is pin a particular region down to a single definite combination of facial characteristics or an invariable monotype characterizing some idealized archetype. There are both "broad" and not so "broad" facial types in both West and East Africa"

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Since ES AE is shut down I'll answer Boofer here

That explains why I haven't been able to post there in the past several days.
Posts: 26273 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Yeah, this guy called Amr, supposedly an Afghani, is
now moderator of ES AE. He toggles the "allow posts"
function on and off at whim. I don't expect any sympathy
from him on our established thrust for these two forums..

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ You'd have to forgive me, but I am suspicious of anyone in this forum who goes by the name of 'Amr', you know what I mean.
Posts: 26273 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ES AE is where I buried my hatchet. Something tells me I'm not going to be able to take it back.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Shame.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Not as shameful as the degenerate cancer of a forum member we know as 'Argyle' and the rest of his aprasscee strain.
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alTakruri wrote:

------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

He's trying to either give a hint or send a message.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yeah, well I gave my hint and message above yours!
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you guys were screaming for moderation. Now we have one. First to be expeled. . . . . ? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
well you guys were screaming for moderation. Now we have one. First to be expeled. . . . . ? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yes a moderator to clear up the insignificant posters who's intentions are to disrupt threads rather than contribute in an intellectual fashion. Not for the moderator to shut down the whole board, or as Altakruri mentioned toggles the allow posts option on and off at whim. When I try to post in the Ae section, I can't, but when I reload the page there are new posts from other members. [Confused] [Mad]
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL. [Big Grin] You're alright I think but you're sadistic. You have to admit. [Big Grin]

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Sauron:
^ LOL. [Big Grin] You're alright I think but you're sadistic. You have to admit. [Big Grin]

Wtf sadistic?? Where did you come up with that dumb ****? You sure you're commenting at the right person ?
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Never mind. [Big Grin]

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Perhaps Sauron means that you love being harsh on the trolls. Well if he's sadistic then trolls like Minibrainer and Argay are obviously masochistic.
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing remotely resembling masochism in me AI. As you well know from experience, if there's any ass whupping being done, I'm the one that's doing it.

West Africans, what's the 411 on this phenomenon. The extreme side of Africa's diversity, Albinism and myth ???

The African Diversity that created the white race.

In hiding for exposing Tanzania witchdoctors

I am living in hiding after I received threats because of my undercover work exposing the threat from witchdoctors to albinos living in Tanzania.

I do not regret it, even if I am very scared.

Mine is just one life, compared to the several thousand people living with albinism in the country.

If nothing is done about this network, they could kill every albino in the country - estimates vary between 4,000 and 173,000.

This year, at least 25 people with albinism have been killed, mostly in the Lake Victoria Zone, especially the Mwanza, Shinyanga and Mara areas.

Winifrida Rutahiro (2nd left), her six-year-old son (3rd left) and Tabu Rutahiro (1st right) - Nyerere Rutahiro's daughter Winifrida Rutahiro (2nd left) is one albino who fears for her life

They are being killed because local witchdoctors say their body parts provide the potent ingredient for magic charms, which many local people use to bring success in business and love.

The bodies are left limbless and sometimes with a huge hole in the neck, from where blood would have been drained.

Families not only grieve because of the loss of their loved ones but are also shocked at the state in which the bodies are left by these murderers.

As if that is not enough, they have to bury their dead in the house, guard the graves on their farm and or build them with stones, metal bars and cement to prevent the killers from stealing the body parts.

Talking to chickens

So I posed as a businesswoman who wanted to get rich and "consulted" 10 witchdoctors.

The consultations included talking to a hedge and telling my problems to a chicken.

Once, albinos used to seek shelter from the sun. Now they have gone into hiding simply to survive, after a series of killings linked to witchcraft

Living in fear: Tanzania's albinos

These are regarded as intermediaries between the witchdoctor, their ancestors and the spirits, or "jinns".

They used old German and English coins with holes in the middle, cowry shells, pebbles, nails, nuts and bolts, screws, crosses with the little figure representing Jesus, and beads which they would shake in a red or white cloth and throw on the ground, while incense burned from all around.

Sticky green stems or old money notes are put between pages from the Koran.

Then the witchdoctors would speak in Arabic and the local Sukuma language and translate or use an interpreter to get the message through to me.

I presented the same case to all of them and got different solutions.

The consultation fee ranged from $20 to $100 per session, with a promise of returning for a further problem-solving process.

All of them gave me different suggestions of who my enemies were - not by name but by description.

None got anything right, most importantly my true mission.

But that did not stop me from praying for my safety, as that was the only defence I had.

Ground organs

Never in my life had it occurred to me that I would one day be sitting in front of a witchdoctor, also known as sangomas or voodoo priests and priestesses.

Coming from a religious family, it was unthinkable to approach or even go near the compound of such people.

A man builds Nyerere Rutahiro's grave
The graves of albinos are guarded or sealed with cement

I met a registered traditional healer who uses African herbs to cure ailments in Magu, the town that shares the name with the district which is known to be the hub of sorcery.

This man condemned the way "conmen and foreign witchdoctors" lured locals into trusting them, before hiring murders to organise raids on homes of albinos just after sunset.

Two witchdoctors promised to get me a magic concoction mixed with ground albino organs. The starting price was $2,000 for the vital organs.

Another told me said that the police were among his customers and that he could make a special potion mixed with ground male and female private parts to enable people to commit armed robbery without being caught.

The encounter with witchdoctor number three was in a village called Gambusi, the most feared area in the region.

The compound had about eight huts around the outside, with a more elaborate structure in the middle.

Here a man in his forties wearing a white T-Shirt and khaki trousers with a mobile phone on his belt asked me whether I had brought a chicken.

A gang of men went round the small town where we had stayed, searching all the guest houses

"What for?" I asked.

He laughed and said that I was forgiven because he realised that I was a novice in the business.

He demanded $2 for a tiny three-week-old chicken and $3 for the fortune-telling.

I was then told to get out of the compound, face south-east, where I hail from - Dar es Salaam - spit on the bird's head, back, tail and on my hand and have a heart-to-heart talk with the chick revealing all my problems.

He asked for $200 for the consultations and said I should spend two nights there before completing the process.

But when I told him that I had only $30 he told me to go away and return when I had the full amount.

Chilling message

When I went back with other BBC colleagues, his nephew was there to receive me.

He said he knew what I wanted and said he would find me albino blood, hair, leg and palms for $2,000.

map

He charged me $55 for the initial consultations and asked me to return with the rest of the money.

I found the last witchdoctor in Lamadi, a tiny rural town which lies at the junction of the roads leading to Kenya and Uganda.

He charged me $100 for the first session and said he would give me the magic potion with albino and other human organs for a price.

While I was there, a man came for a consultation - the witchdoctor said he was a police officer but he was wearing civilian clothes.

However, he was made to wait until my session was over and, I later learned, told the witchdoctor that I was involved in a sting operation.

Shortly afterwards, the threatening phone calls started.

And a gang of men went round the small town of Magu, where we had briefly stayed, searching all the guest houses. Luckily, we had already moved on to the nearest city, Mwanza.

One particularly chilling message came on my mobile phone: "What have you done now? Watch your back."

The witchdoctor had boasted of working with a powerful network across East Africa, which included police officers and armed robbers.

I knew they were involved in the murder of albinos, so I was terrified.

At first, I did regret taking on this mission - especially for the sake of my family.

Had I put their lives at risk?

But then I realised that I had done the right thing.

Even if I die today, those involved will have been exposed.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Keep repeating the same b.s. Everyone one with sense and/or sanity knows 'whites' of Europe are NOT albinos, and that albinism occurs among them the same rate as all human populations from blacks of Africa to blacks and non-blacks of Asia and the Americas.
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What I'd like to know is, how many myths and legends there are around Africa surrounding Albinos?
Exactly When did Albinism begin in Africa?

While the above article shows witchcraft, I'm sure some other myths see Albinos in a different light.

High range of 175000 is a reasonably high number.

I guess it's a safe assumption, no tests for traces of Albinism is performed on ancient skeletons, just skull measurements.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Knock knock. Back to the head topic...anybody?

Opening an *entirely new* or discrete thread on Albinos, as a *number of them* have already been done so on the "Ancient Egypt" section, is a fairly easy thing to do...or so I thought.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Albinism is an African diversity.
One which seems to receive the least attention.
I wonder why when the phenomena seems to be a major deviation in African and world physiological development.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com