EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Maghreb (TaMazgha) and Maghribim (Imazighen and others) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Maghreb (TaMazgha) and Maghribim (Imazighen and others)
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I support the Imazighen struggle for freedom, self-determination,
identity, and recognition I don't cotton to NorthAfricentrism or any
other form of ethnocentrism. To that effect let's have another go at
understanding the region of North Africa generally designated as the
Maghreb and the people there.

What is the Maghreb? Sub-Mediterranean supra-Saharan northernmost Africa
from the Libyan desert to the Atlantic Ocean.

Who are the Maghribis? Which populations have in the past on up to now
have inhabited the Maghreb?

This thread will thoroughly scour these topics using an interdisciplinary
approach examining human paleontology, physical anthropology, genetics,
archaeology, linquistics, history, and related fields to present known
facts divorced from liberation struggle ideologies and unscientific folklore.

Respectful of the African people now struggling in the region, the terms
Tamazgha and Imazighen, for the land and its current population, will be
used when appropriate.

I can only suggest and hope the tone of these discussions, which at
times will necessarily be controversial and spirited, can nonetheless
be conducted generously and politely by its participants adamant in
their conflicting points of view.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it's a challenge to respect the struggle of the Berber for their own identity - mirroring the struggle of other Africans, while at the same time 'putting paid' to Berber ethnic mythologies, which piggy-back onto Eurocentrism.

I suggest to advocates of this brand of Berber-centrism that they consider carefully the faulty nature of their thesis.

* On the one hand they seek the broadest possible definition of Berber, in order to link peoples like the Kabyle to everyone from the Siwa Oasis Libyans called Tehennu, to the Moors.

* On the other hand they seek and ethnically exclusionary definition of Berber, in which the Berber are white, or k-zoid, and in which Black Berber are marginalised or made illigitimate.

This is a false dichotomy, and moreover, it's easy to discredit. It is poor strategy and doomed to failure.

Berber is best viewed as and African language group, spoken by ethnically diverse people.

These people and their languages originate in the East African Neolithic, and spread to NorthWest Africa. Many of their most notable traditions such as the Tifinagh Berber script, often written without vowels much like mdw.ntr, are best represented by the Touareg.

This Berber expansion was male biased - no different than many other migrations - including Bantu, and various Semitic [Lemba, Arab, etc..] expansions, only - it was more extreme because it expansed great tracks of sahara dessert.

Because of this the female ancestry of the Berber ranges from predominently East African - in East Africa, to substantially West African in parts of the Western Sahel, to predominently European on the North West African coast.

The Berber physical appearance varies accordingly - and *naturally*.

In order for people like the Kabyles to claim and affinity with people like the Tehennu and Touareg, they *must* embrace, and not deny, the multi-ethnic historical reality of Berber speaking peoples.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accurate assessment beautifully expressed. Bravo Rasol!

Photos of 5 Tuareg men (the boy, if Tuareg is an akli)
To see the photos cut and paste into your toolbar locator

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/16495/intheshade.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/16495/boss.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/28965/mata.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/6678/tuareg4.jpg

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri on 03 December 2004 01:19 PM:

The North Africans known to the AE's were the:

* Tehhenu (west of the delta and in Fayum)
* Temehhu (west of Egypt below 25° north lattitude down to Nubia)
* Rebu (west of the Tehhenu).

More specifically the other AE known Libyans are the

* Meshwesh
* Esbet
* Beken
* Kehek
* Hes
* Imukehek
* Shai
* Seped
* Ekbet
* Keykesh

all tribals.

When, where, and under what circumstances do each of these ethnics enter the historical scene?

THHNW show up as early as the Vth Dynasty on the reliefs of Neuserre and Sahure
who defeated them. In the VIth Dynasty Harkhuf a royal merchant for Pepy II notes
a potential war between the NHHSW of Yam and the TMHHW. Mentuhotep of Dynasty XI
mentions defeating the Rebu/Libu.

By the XVIII Dynasty we hear of the Imukehek and Ekbet in the times of Amenhotep I
and Thutmose I. Then the XIXth and XXth Dynasties.

Ramses II found the THHNW in alliance with the Sherden one the HWA NBW peoples from
outside of Africa. But how did this alliance form and why were North Africans and
north Mediterraneans in relationship?

West of the THHNW the Libu formed a powerful coalition with the Ekwesh, Teresh,
Luka, Sherden, and Shekelesh, who all are peoples from north of the Mediterranean
coast of Africa. This horde forced the THHNW to join them as they stood between
Libu and Egypt the target of their plan of conquest. Why did they choose to march
east on Egypt instead of going west toward the Maghreb if the HWA NBW were only
ejected migrants seeking asylum? This invasion force also sought out the goodwill
of the Hittites. Merneptah proved to be up to the challenge and utterly routed the
entire force.

Then not long afterward the Meshwesh from even further west than the Libu in cahoots
with another set of northerners Thekel, Peleset, Denyen, Weshesh and the older set
of northern allies encroached on Egyptian territories. The North African Seped or
Esbet join in the coalition. Ramses III put them down, branding and enslaving many
to incorporate them into the military or into agricultural service.

It should be noted that the northerners came with their women and children. Outside
of the war effort, how many northern peoples in search of a new home avoided Libu and
Meshwesh intrigues to instead peacefully settle westward of the aggression? Did such
settlement cause southern and eastern movement of the earlier population?

Not having learned their lesson well, more North Africans, the Esbet, Shai or Shaitep,
Beken, Keykesh, and Hes, along with the Meshwesh mount another attack to occupy Egypt
which again fails and leads to their occupying military and agricultural posts after
being branded.

With the Meshwesh we have the first naming apparently linguisticly related to
Tamazight and the Amazigh identity. Amazigh identity seems to begin with these
Meshwesh and not the THHNW.

Is there any ethnic or linguistic significance to all these esh name endings
shared by both the North Africans and north Mediterraneans?

As the Meshwesh piece by piece begin to peacefully settle in the Delta during the
weak XXIst Dynasty they attain to authoritative positions until finally a Meshwesh
assumes pharoahship inaugurating the XXIInd Dynasty. The beginning of the reign of
Shosenq I is the year 1 in the Amazigh calendar commemorated yearly by Imazighen
activists at Yenneyar celebrations everywhere theres an Amazigh community.

quote:
Originally posted by Wally on 04 December 2004 01:29 PM:

According to the ancients, the portion of Africa to the west of Egypt was called Libya but
according to the Moudu ro en Kemet, the region to the west of Kemet would be called
Khasut Amenti ("foreign territories in the west"), and like "Nubia" to the south, it was
only referred to vis-a-vis the tribes or peoples in that region. Here is the chronology of
Kemetian names for what the ancients referred to as "Libya" :

1) predynastic;early dynastic period (2920-2575bc);also in the Book of the Dead, one of the
oldest Kemetian texts.
Tehenu: ("The 'blue' people")
These people were portrayed by the Kemetian as being very similar to themselves, and probably
were closely related.
Tehen: dazzling;sparkling; to dye something blue; faience or a glazed blue earthenware that was
often used for amulets and some vessels.

In my opinion, these were the ancestors of the present day Taureg people, who even today some of
them are referred to as the blue people because some wear fabrics dyed by a process which
involves pounding indigo powder into the cloth with a stone. So, if you were to use the Kemetian
language to describe these Taureg people you would call them Tehenu...

2) 12th Dynasty onwards...
While the Tehenu were still present and also used, we had an addition:
Tamhu: "The Red people"
This was an ethnic term based upon Kemetian ethnographic classifications (IE, *"the mural of the
races") to indicate a white race of people. These were the blue-eyed 'Berbers' and were to become
the favorites of modern Egyptology, as their presence allowed the creation of an erroneous
association with the civilization of Kemet, even though their existence was only acknowledge during
the 12th Kemetian dynasty...

3) 20th Dynasty
M'shawaasha: (?; "meshwesh") This was a Libyan people who appear to be self-named, as there doesn't appear
to be a Kemetian correspondence (at least I couldn't find any). We do have the name of one of their
kings; M'shaken.

4) Indeterminate
Rebu/Lebu:
I couldn't find any direct correspondence with "Reb" or "Leb" but we can perhaps find help
from Diop on this one; Diop informs us that there are a people living in Senegal called the
Lebou and whose name means "fishermen or people who live by the sea." So what do we have in
Kemetian?

"r" or "l" is a preposition meaning for example - to;against;at
"bo" in Kemetian and in Coptic means "canal" or "stream"
"l_bo" means "at the stream"
"l_bou" means "those at the stream"

Thus it is accurate to state that Lebou in the Kemetian language would mean and be consistent
with "people who live by the sea." Would the Lebu then be tribes living along the coast of
northern Africa? I think so...

TBC...

(* it is incorrect to refer to this ethnographic document as a "table of nations" for no other
reason but the simple and obvious fact that there were a lot more than four nations in that day!)

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri on 05 December 2004 04:39 PM:

In another thread Wally gives the alternate meaning of HHN in the name of the THHNW
as brilliant. This is just as valid if not more valid than the meaning olive. As far
as it relates to blue and the Blue Men of more than 2500 years later, that remains a
worthy speculation. Contrary to genetic indicators the Tuareg themselves claim to come
from the far Atlantic Maghreb in an exodus under Queen Tin Hanan.

Wally has shown that some of the mdw ntr names of Eastern Libyan tribes are not from
the Egyptian language and so are probably derived from Tamazight linguistic roots. This
again brings up the question of the coastals relationship to their HWA NBW allies some of
whom also have esh in the endings of their tribal names.

Eastern Libyans with esh names:

* the Meshwesh nation
* the Keykesh tribe

Sea Peoples with esh names:

* Ekwesh
* Teresh
* Shekelesh
* Weshesh

Of particular notice are the Meshwesh nation and Weshesh HWA NBW tribe especially
when we will later note Graeco Roman authors relating origins of some Eastern Libyan
tribes as coming from the Aegean and the northern Middle East.

SidiRom
Member # 10364

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SidiRom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A post from another forum:
quote:
Originally posted by Numidicus:
I'm an Amazigh. I send you some useful links (I didn't read all of them):
http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/keita_1990_northern_africa_1_.pdf
http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/further_study_keita.pdf
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dlubell/Ency_Maghreb.pdf
http://www.amazighworld.org/
http://www.emazighen.com/article.php3?id_article=68
http://www.csupomona.edu/~mibrahim/hst.329/NA.antiquity.html
http://www.startkabel.nl/k/numidia/
If you have no time to read them, I think this is the conclusion: the origin of the Berbers is unclear, the western Berbers were light skinned, whereas the eastern Berbers tended to be dark skinned.
They have more than one ancestor.
The early Berbers were known as the Libyans to the Egyptians and the Greeks. The Romans tended to call them Numidians and Moors. The Arabs called them "Barbars" (where the word Berber is derived form (the Arabs maybe adapted it from the Romans who called several peoples as barbarians)).
The light Berbers and the dark Berbers seem to be indigenous to North Africa: the light Berbers are registered in the ancient Egyptian inscriptions (Libou (where the word Libyan is derived form) + tamahou). They are also found in the central Sahara (depictions on the rocks).
The dark people are also registered in the ancient Egyptian inscriptions (Tehenu), and from what I read they are indications that the Garamantes where dark.
The modern Berbers are generally browns. The blondish Berbers are found in several Berber groups especially among the Riffians and Kabyles (there are also many red haired and blondish Berbers among the Berbers of the atlas).
Gnawa and Haratins are not of Berber origin, as far as I’m aware.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tried discussing things with Numidicus on the now ersatz theNileValley
forum. Typical of a Riffian to embrace blondes and redheads as trulye
Berber while denying Haritin that status.

This is only based on a priori racial proclivities favoring whiteness.

How in the hell can Haritin with North African DNA traits not be Berber
while Riffians, Kabyles, and certain Atlas populations with European
DNA traits are Berber? Aren't they all Berber speakers?

When a certain ruler was composing for himself a non-Berber black slave army
and went recruiting Haritin for it, it caused an uproar of protest from all
Berbers because it was biased to try to make non-Berber Gnawa out of Berber
Haritin.

But nowadays with Amazigh nationalism and its "Berbers are whites of
varying intensity" stance the Haritin along with the THHNW are supposed to
get the white-out?

quote:
Originally posted by SidiRom:
A post from another forum:
quote:
Originally posted by Numidicus:
I'm an Amazigh.
. . . .
I think this is the conclusion: the origin of the Berbers is unclear, the western Berbers were light skinned, whereas the eastern Berbers tended to be dark skinned.
They have more than one ancestor.
The light Berbers and the dark Berbers seem to be indigenous to North Africa: the light Berbers are registered in the ancient Egyptian inscriptions (Libou (where the word Libyan is derived form) + tamahou). They are also found in the central Sahara (depictions on the rocks).
The dark people are also registered in the ancient Egyptian inscriptions (Tehenu), and from what I read they are indications that the Garamantes where dark.
The modern Berbers are generally browns. The blondish Berbers are found in several Berber groups especially among the Riffians and Kabyles (there are also many red haired and blondish Berbers among the Berbers of the atlas).
Gnawa and Haratins are not of Berber origin, as far as I’m aware.

SidiRom
Member # 10364

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SidiRom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know who they are so I couldn't tell you. He does mention dark berbers though.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alTakruri, do you have that quote about the Haratin during the Middle Ages? I think its by Al-Idrisi or some other Arabic writer.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Thought Writes:

You have created your own definition for a term. This is NOT the standard definition of the Maghreb.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
No I don't have the quote. It was part of a private correspondance with an Amazigh activist:
quote:

The matter of the Harratin has always been subject to
controversy. While they were seen for a long time as
late comers to the area, some of the most recent
findings are suggesting the opposite. The "Blackness"
of the Haratin has never been in contention. Even in
early history of Morocco, the fact that a deputy of
the Egyptian General began to enlist them as soldiers
of an all Black Army created a huge debate among the
Moroccans, who did not consider them of the same
"social category" as the Sudanese, and protest arose
because they were "free human beings" and not of the
"slave" category susceptible to be rounded up for this
Corps of Black slave-soldiers. It created a great stir
among "Berbers."

This was a precision to something the Amazigh activist had earlier wrote on a guarded forum:
quote:

Imazighen (Berbers) ... are related by language to the
Tuaregs of the Sahara and sub-Sahara [.] Even the Black
Harratine people of the northern Sahara have recently
yielded DNA which makes them closer to Berbers of North
Africa than to other neighboouring Black groups. This
parentage is also verifiable through language.

And this is basically true. The Haratine are a social group of freed slaves. Since those slaves
were not all of one homogeneous ethnicity, the freed slaves marrying among each other created
a new ethnicity. The bulk of this new ethnic group, "the One Fifth-ers", were the indigenous
inhabitants of the Saharan Oases. Another Amazigh activist chided me for leaving out the former
"owners" as part of the mix, which is correct because there was sex between the male "owners"
and the enslaved females as well as the enslaved males with the "owners'" wives.

When I wrote to this same Amazigh activist that I felt there was an ongoing NorthAfricentrist
attempt to remove blacks from Tamazgha history as either an ancient population absorbed into
the stock of MESHWESH originating Imazighen or as a minority Imazighen subtype the reply was:
quote:

I have asked before what ever happened to the black
population of the area. In the literature, they are
said to have been pushed south, but I maintain that
inter-marriage or inter-breeding did occur. Now if
DNA studies show that the black and white population
in the north are related, I don't see why this is a
problem. ...DNA studies are the most scientific proof
we have, if it was conducted in an objective fashion.
But I would like to see if the Amazigh also showed any
non-Berber Haratine DNA.

So you see there is a subconscious hesitancy to unequivocally classify Haritin as truly Amazigh
by Amazigh activist who themselves often enough have an Iberian, Italian, or French mommy. The
Haritin are 100% African yet these hybrid Africans who think of themselves as truly Amazigh doubt
the Haritin Amazighity underneath it all. An amazing example of double think!

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
If true, certainly less so than making Nigeria into a North African country.  -

quote:

A summit meeting of North African Heads of State, held in Morocco in February 1989, concluded a treaty proclaiming the Union du Maghreb arabe, comprising Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia.

What do you know about the Semitic terms ma`arib, mushreq, and mizrahh?

quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
quote:

Thought Writes:

You have created your own definition for a term. This is NOT the standard definition of the Maghreb.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If true, certainly less so than making Nigeria a North African country.

Thought Writes:

Why less so? Please be specific.

Nigeria is certainly in the northern half of Africa and hence north African. The Maghreb has a much more specific definition that EXCLUDES the Nubian Desert.

quote:

Thought Writes:

I know little about these terms. But what relevence do these terms have to the term Maghreb?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
What relevency? To show you don't have any idea of what maghreb means.
And I said LIBYAN desert not Nubian desert.

I don't want to see this thread sidetracked, please create a
seperate thread for debate on Nigeria as a North African country,
thank you.

quote:
The Maghreb has a much more specific definition that EXCLUDES the Nubian Desert.

quote:

Thought Writes:

I know little about these terms. But what relevence do these terms have to the term Maghreb?

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:

Thought Writes:

The POINT is there is NO evidence that the Ancient Egyptians were in contact with the people of coastal NW Africa (the Maghreb). Genetically the people of NE Africa (Chad, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, etc) have very different profiles from the people of the Maghreb (a different region).

quote:
I don't want to see this thread sidetracked, please create a
seperate thread for debate on Nigeria as a North African country,

Thought Writes:

Are you sick? You were the one who brought Nigeria up in this thread to begin with.....

quote:
If true, certainly less so than making Nigeria into a North African country.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Thought Writes:
Are you sick?

This is unnecessary nastiness, a personal attack. Please refrain from commenting
on me and comment on the topic, thank you.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Thought Writes:
Are you sick?

This is unnecessary nastiness, a personal attack. Please refrain from commenting
on me and comment on the topic, thank you.

Thought Writes:

Ok....

quote:

Thought Writes:

The POINT is there is NO evidence that the Ancient Egyptians were in contact with the people of coastal NW Africa (the Maghreb). Genetically the people of NE Africa (Chad, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, etc) have very different profiles from the people of the Maghreb (a different region).

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The Maghreb is a geographic entity not a genetic one.

The POINT is that KM.t was attacked by a coalition of peoples under
MESHWESH suzereignty who most likely came from the Gulf of Sidra
region and maybe even from as further west as Algeria.

While KM.t was not in contact with people farther away then either the
western delta or the Siwa oasis, people from Tripolitania contacted KM.t
and did so very violently.

quote:

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
The Maghreb is a geographic entity not a genetic one.

Thought Writes:

Clearly the Maghreb is a geographic entity. But the CONTEXT of our discussion about the Maghreb is in relation to people FROM the Maghreb. The genetic evidence does NOT support a close genetic affinity between these two regions. Hence there is little biological evidence for incursions from the Maghreb into dynastic Egypt.

quote:
The POINT is that KM.t was attacked by a coalition of peoples.....maybe even from as further west as Algeria.

Thought Writes:

Key word: MAYBE. You have provided little substantive evidence for populations flowing in from the Maghreb. In fact, please present archaeological evidence that substantiates a population sizable enough in this region, during the period in question to invade Egypt? This region was SPARSLY populated prior to ~2,000 ky.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The context of this discussion is as I laid out in the initial post of this thread.

quote:

have inhabited the Maghreb
?

According to Herodotus (2.17, 2.32, 4.168, 4.191, 4.196) Libya began west
of the Nile running on to the Atlantic Ocean. Aethiopia lay south of Libya
beginning where people were predominantly blacker skinned and wooly haired.

He ethnogeographically lists the 5th century BCE Imazighen from east to
west both on the coast and a bit inland. Scylax, c. 320 BCE follows suit
as do Strabo, Diodorus Siculus, Pliny (1st century CE), Ptolemy, and Corippus.

The Arab authors, who introduced the term Maghreb, starting with alMaqrizi
(640 CE) on up to today -- again see The Union of the Arab Maghreb -- do
the same.

Who should know better than they?

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
of the Nile running on to the Atlantic Ocean.

Thought Writes:

Two Points:

1) We are discussing the Maghreb, not the ancient Greek referenced region of Libya.

2) Herodotus was seperated from the so-called "Libyan Invasion" by over 1,000 years!!!!

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
The Arab authors, who introduced the term Maghreb, starting with alMaqrizi
(640 CE) on up to today -- again see The Union of the Arab Maghreb -- do
the same.

Who should know better than they?

Thought Writes:

Who should know WHAT better than whom? Your statement above is an incomplete sentence and incomprehensible.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I started this thread. You don't dictate the parameters. I have already spelled them out.

This discussion includes all known populations from the late pleistocene up to the current holocene.

Your limitations only narrow the scope to fit your peculiar distracting argument, which I will no longer entertain.

quote:
quote:
of the Nile running on to the Atlantic Ocean.

Thought Writes:

Two Points:

1) We are discussing the Maghreb, not the ancient Greek referenced region of Libya.

2) Herodotus was seperated from the so-called "Libyan Invasion" by over 1,000 years!!!!

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
I started this thread. You don't dictate the parameters. I have already spelled them out.

Thought Writes:

You can spell whatever you want out. But the fact remains, there is little evidence that the ancient "Libyans" came from NW Africa/the Maghreb.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:

have inhabited the Maghreb?

Thought Writes:

The essence of the problem is that you are defining people with very distinct histories and relationships as one cultural/biological (?) entity. The people of NW Africa and NE Africa have divergent linguistic, archaeological and genetic trajectories. The people of these regions seem to be linked FIRST by an expansion of Berber speaking people from the Western Desert ~2,000 ky. Then by Arab incursions. There is little evidence for contact between the Western Desert (Libyan Desert) and the Maghreb prior to this era.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well before the currently spoken Afrisan languages existed humans lived in the Maghreb

Below is a very brief summary of
L. Cabot Briggs
The Living Races of the Sahara Desert
Cambridge: Peabody Museum, 1958
pp. 8-19
Note that his outdated morphological terminologies delineate
slight taxonomic differences of face, head, and stature but are
all specifically African phenotypes.

The ATERIAN is the first industry of modern humans in
N Africa (meaning what now is Tripolitanian Libya, Tunisia,
Algeria above the Sahara, and Morocco). It dates to between
35-12 thousand years ago (kya). In Libya it's called DABBAN.

PaleaMediterraneans of MOUILLIAN industry are next and
were established before 10kya.

AfricanMediterraneans introduced CAPSIAN industry maybe
8kya. They were supposed to be accompanied or soon followed
by African Alpines who had no seperate industry of their own.
The African Mediterraneans were first inland, away from the
PalaeMediterraneans but did move to the coasts of Algeria
where their industry is called ORANIAN.

Although all three were similar to east Mediterranean and east
African types of humanity, they had their own physical peculiarites
distinguishing them from north Mediterranean peoples, notably
prognathism and broad nasal apperatures. (How different were
they from the Natufians?)

These three indigenous African "stocks" were supposed to have
all married with each other to produce the Mechta al Arbi and
Afalou types who were preponderantly African Mediterranean
and made futher advances of CAPSIAN industry incorporating
techniques from another people.

Those others were Saharo-Sudanese of NEOLITHIC SAHARAN
industries very similar to the so-called KHARTOUM MESOLITHIC
(which obviously had characteristics of neolithic rather than
mesolithic technology). The neolithic Saharo-Sudanese enter
the picture around 6kya.

So again, how do we tie these contributors to the N African
human population in with the genetic data and linguistic info
we have today?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Genetic conclusion are drawn from living populations.
High frequency African specific lineage relevant DNA
in TaMazgha is mtDNA U6 and NRY E3b-M35.

U6a has a coalescence ranging between 41-14kya per HVSI sequences.
It has a west to east expansion making it a strong candidate for an
Aterian female base.

U6a1 (19-7.5kya) with an east to west expansion is at the tail end
of the Aterian, all throughout the Mouillian, and most likely signals
the Capsian which arose first in East Africa though named after Gafsa,
the site in North Africa were archaeologist first dug up relics of the
industry. This is a time period of proto-Afrisan and proto-NiloSaharan.
A language ancestral to both (namely proto-Wider Area Of Northern
Affinity) may have been carried from east to north Africa.

The other U6 subgroups (U6b, U6c, and U6b1) occur almost exclusively in
western populations and by HVSI coalescence dating would appear during
all the pleistocene industries. The exception being U6b1 which is strictly
holocene while U6c's coalescence covers both the late pleistocene and
early holocene. On their return to the U6a birthplace, U6a1 would encounter
the already in place older U6b and U6c indigenous to that region.

E3b-M35 has a coalescence ranging between 46-27kya per average squared
difference. It probably originated in eastern Africa. Highest frequencies are
in the "Khoisan" and Oromo. It could be the male base of the Aterian that
was later absorbed and displaced.

E3b1-M78 (33-25kya), derived from E3b-M35, also most likely arose in
eastern Africa and fits the Aterian time frame. By late expansion, it may
also signal the Mouillian which is known to be related to the Halfan
industry in the Nile Valley. It has high frequencies in Ethiopia, Sudan,
and Kenya.

E3b2-M81 (11-6kya), also an E3b-M35 derivative, likewise first appeared
in eastern Africa. It's more in line with the Capsian and Neolithic Saharan.
The first Wider Area of Northern Affinity languages was at this
particularly proto-NiloSaharan. Afrisan had begun splitting so that by the
lower limit proto-Tamazight was born. Certain languages in the Wider
Area of Southern Affinity may have started in the Sahara along with
languages not truly fitting any strict classification system. This
subclade is considered to be the Amazigh marker.

code:
INDUSTRY          MORPHOLOGY                PREDOMINANT MARKERS
mtDNA NRY

ATERIAN "Boskopoid"? *U6a* *E3b-M35*
?E3b1-M78?

MOUILLIAN "PaleaMediterranean" U6a E3b-M35
U6b *E3b1-M78*
U6c
*U6a1*

CAPSIAN/ORANIAN "AfricanMediterranean" U6a E3b-M35
"African Alpine" U6b E3b1-M78
U6c ?E3b2-M81?
U6a1
*U6b1*

NEOLITHIC SAHARAN meld of the above as above as above
Saharo-Sudanese *E3b-M81*

The Aterian was highly concentrated in the Atlas but had an outreach that
included the Sahara and Libya. Its practioners may've resembled "Khoisan".
Archaeological finds show the Mouillian "PaleaMediterraneans" occupied the
littoral from Libya to Morocco. Oranian finds are also scattered over this
same whole area. Capsian "AfricanMediterranean" relics are all inland away
from the coast. The Neolithic Sahara industry of the Saharo-Sudanese replaced
the earlier industry but not the morphologies. Apparently only a few pioneer
Saharo-Sudanese ventured toward the coast introducing technologies similar
to the so-called Khartoum "Mesolithic". The neolithic transfer was moreso
cultural than demic. All of these Maghrebi industries and NRY haplogroups
show links with the Nile Valley. The mtDNA haplogroups mostly suggest
local Maghreb al Aqsa continuities.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Although all three were similar to east Mediterranean and east
African types of humanity, they had their own physical peculiarites
distinguishing them from north Mediterranean peoples, notably
prognathism and broad nasal apperatures. (How different were
they from the Natufians?)

Thought Writes:

According to Irish these Paleolithic N. African samples and the Natufian samples were indeed different.

Thought Posts:

Irish JD.
The Iberomaurusian enigma: north African progenitor or dead end?
J Hum Evol. 2000 Oct;39(4):393-410.

quote:
So again, how do we tie these contributors to the N African human population in with the genetic data and linguistic info
we have today?

Thought Writes:

There is genetic evidence for the maternal lineage U6 and the paternal lineages A and E1 dating back to Upper Paleolithic NW Africa.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Genetic conclusion are drawn from living populations.

Thought Writes:

This is correct, but what is your point?

quote:
E3b-M35 has a coalescence ranging between 46-27kya per average squared
difference. It probably originated in eastern Africa. Highest frequencies are
in the "Khoisan" and Oromo. It could be the male base of the Aterian that was later absorbed and displaced.

Thought Writes:

"Could be", but like your "theory" on the NW African/Maghreb origins to the ancient Libyans, there is NO substantive evidence nor any downstream lineages to support this theory.

quote:
E3b1-M78 (33-25kya), derived from E3b-M35, also most likely arose in
eastern Africa and fits the Aterian time frame. By late expansion, it may
also signal the Mouillian which is known to be related to the Halfan
industry in the Nile Valley. It has high frequencies in Ethiopia, Sudan,
and Kenya.

E3b2-M81 (11-6kya), also an E3b-M35 derivative, likewise first appeared
in eastern Africa. It's more in line with the Capsian and Neolithic Saharan.
The first Wider Area of Northern Affinity languages was at this
particularly proto-NiloSaharan. Afrisan had begun splitting so that by the
lower limit proto-Tamazight was born. Certain languages in the Wider
Area of Southern Affinity may have started in the Sahara along with
languages not truly fitting any strict classification system. This
subclade is considered to be the Amazigh marker.

Thought Posts:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1182266

The Levant versus the Horn of Africa: Evidence for Bidirectional Corridors of Human Migrations
J. R. Luis et al.
The American Journal of Human Genetics, volume 74 (2004), pages 532–544

"The present-day Egyptian E3b-M35 distribution most likely results from a juxtaposition of various demic episodes. Since the E3b*-M35 lineages appear to be confined mostly to the sub-Saharan populations, it is conceivable that the initial migrations toward North Africa from the south primarily involved derivative E3b-M35 lineages. These include E3b1-M78, a haplogroup especially common in Ethiopia (23%), and, perhaps, E3b2-M123 (2%), which is present as well (Underhill et al. 2000; Cruciani et al. 2002; Semino et al. 2002). The data suggest that two later expansions may have followed: one eastward along the Levantine corridor into the Near East and the other toward northwestern Africa. The extant North African and Middle Eastern distribution (Underhill et al. 2001b; Cruciani et al. 2002; present study) of these lineages suggests that both routes are associated with the dissemination of E3b1-M78. However, the E3b3-M123 chromosomes may have spread predominantly toward the east, whereas E3b2-M81, which is present in relatively high levels in Morocco (33% and 69% in Moroccan Arabs and Moroccan Berbers, respectively [Cruciani et al. 2002]), dispersed mainly to the west. This proposal is in accordance with a population expansion involving E3b2-M81 believed to have occurred in northwestern Africa ∼2 ky ago (Cruciani et al. 2002). The considerably older linear expansion estimate of the Egyptian E3b2-M81 (5.4 ky ago) is also compatible with this scenario. The Turkish collection displays a near absence of E3b2-M81 (1 in 523 males) but displays polymorphic levels of the other two M35 derivatives (5.5% for E3b3-M123 and 5% for E3b1-M78 [Cinnioğlu et al. 2004]). This M35 profile, combined with the substantially older BATWING expansion times of the corresponding Egyptian lineages (E3b1-M78: 7.8 ky in Egypt vs. 4.8 ky in Turkey [Cinnioğlu et al. 2004]; E3b3-M123: 10.8 ky in Egypt vs. 3.7 ky in Turkey [Cinnioğlu et al. 2004]), is highly consistent with a northbound migration through the Levantine corridor reflected in M35 males as far north as Turkey."

SidiRom
Member # 10364

Member Rated:
So in layman's terms what are you two disputing?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is being disputed?
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Bump up

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this thread, and it was a very good and interesting one.

By the way, I don't know how much this helps the issue but the earliest Greek references to Libya (west of Egypt) speak of the 'Gorgon Amazons'. There are 2 main groups of Amazons in Greek legend-- the Gorgon Amazons of Libya and the Themiscyran Amazons of Asia Minor with the former being older by several millenia before the latter appeared. In Greek legend the Gorgon (Terrible) Amazons lived to the west of Egypt. Their nation was ruled by a powerful queen and they were allies of the Egyptians against the people of Atlantis. Now assuming that 'Atlantis' was based on a maritime civilization located somewhere in the Mediterranean, what are we to make of these people? The idea of a nation ruled by a queen corresponds to the matriarchal societies of many Berber groups, and there are rock paintings of females armed with bows and arrows.

Also, I have always wondered about the relationship between North Africans and North Mediterraneans who both had '-esh' to their names. I know that names that ended in vowels follwed by -sh was was common in Semitic languages in Western Asia perhaps due to Asiatic influence, and I read that the scholar Gordon Childe proposed that these north Mediterraneans were probably peoples who adopted the Berber languages. Is this true? From archaeology and anthropology as well as genetics we have evidence that the North African neolithic spilled out into Southwest Europe (Iberia) just as it did into the Levant and Southeast Europe. And heck, we have white Berber speakers in North Africa!

Any comments to this, Takruri or anyone else?

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, the traditions of African warrior queens is indeed quite ancient all over Africa. However, this tradition is lost to us in modern histories, especially those traditions from the more ancient periods, for various reasons. There were female warrior dieties in Egypt. There were the female hunters depicted in the rock art of the Sahara. There were the Warrior Queens of Kush, Kerma and Meroe.
Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere that "esh" was a ethnonym plural. I think it makes sense since it is found among other people's name always have a grammatical plural marker known in Egyptian.

alTakruri, what are people relying on to claim that Mshwsh is related to M-Z-GH (especially with -sh being a grammatical morpheme)?

Don't know if they already did or not, but I think that an appropriate way to check it would be to reconstruct the early Berber roots and try to transphonologize them in regard to Egyptian restrictions.

Do you know the various dialectal variations of "Mazigh/imazighen"?

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

In general, the traditions of African warrior queens is indeed quite ancient all over Africa. However, this tradition is lost to us in modern histories, especially those traditions from the more ancient periods, for various reasons. There were female warrior dieties in Egypt. There were the female hunters depicted in the rock art of the Sahara. There were the Warrior Queens of Kush, Kerma and Meroe.

Yes but my reference dealt specifically with ancient Libyans and whatever relation they had with the Berber people as whole, let alone the Maghreb.

Takruri or anyone else, what is your take on these ancient references and their relation to modern Berbers?
quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:

I remember reading somewhere that "esh" was a ethnonym plural. I think it makes sense since it is found among other people's name always have a grammatical plural marker known in Egyptian.

alTakruri, what are people relying on to claim that Mshwsh is related to M-Z-GH (especially with -sh being a grammatical morpheme)?

Don't know if they already did or not, but I think that an appropriate way to check it would be to reconstruct the early Berber roots and try to transphonologize them in regard to Egyptian restrictions.

These are some good points and questions. What meaning did the 'esh' have in ancient Berber and in modern Berber?

Also, 'esh' in many north Semitic languages means 'man'. Does it also indicate a similar meaning for these ancient ethnonyms??

yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I remember this thread, and it was a very good and interesting one.
I read that the scholar Gordon Childe proposed that these north Mediterraneans were probably peoples who adopted the Berber languages. Is this true? From archaeology and anthropology as well as genetics we have evidence that the North African neolithic spilled out into Southwest Europe (Iberia) just as it did into the Levant and Southeast Europe. And heck, we have white Berber speakers in North Africa!

Any comments to this, Takruri or anyone else?

From my knowledge of Iberian Muslim history, it is known and reported that Christians were 'deported' to North Africa in various waves, or they voluntarily left to form new communites and as a result, they blended in with the natives (of North Africa) as it were. They were Muslims, who intermarried with various tribal groups in Spain (Celtic, Visigoths, Slavs, etc) so despite being Muslim, they also were forced to leave when different Muslim ideologies confronted them. Many were no different from Spaniards but as they had a Muslim background, they were forced back to the North Africa of their grandparents and so they would naturally gravitate to areas reminiscent of their homeland (the Atlas mountains)!
Other areas of Southern Europe experienced the same conditions with the ebb and flow of different dynasties.

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Who were they?
Were any "imported?"

quote:
There were female warrior dieties in Egypt.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Graves' The Greek Myths is an excellent source
for this kind of thing. Diop (can't recall which
work) posits the Amazons as 'non-african' women
-- his bias against Berbers -- who found respect
for females among Africans. He makes good points,
based on cultural analysis, for why Amazons aren't
native to Africa.

Truth to tell, I wonder if the metal age Imazighen
were the product of the indigenous North African
males taking Sea Peoples' women and gelding or
otherwise hampering Sea Peoples' men from leaving
progeny?

Don't really know enough about north and northeast
Med culture but those lightest skinned Imazighen of
3000 years ago, or even in the rock art, don't display
anything like what I imagine north/northeast Med
culture to have been like at that time.

Fig 1. Top of image: North African males in the Aegean w/t kind of females who lightened their complexions?
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

By the way, I don't know how much this helps the issue but the earliest Greek references to Libya (west of Egypt) speak of the 'Gorgon Amazons'. There are 2 main groups of Amazons in Greek legend-- the Gorgon Amazons of Libya and the Themiscyran Amazons of Asia Minor with the former being older by several millenia before the latter appeared.
The idea of a nation ruled by a queen corresponds to the matriarchal societies of many Berber groups, and there are rock paintings of females armed with bows and arrows.

Also, I have always wondered about the relationship between North Africans and North Mediterraneans who both had '-esh' to their names.
I read that the scholar Gordon Childe proposed that these north Mediterraneans were probably peoples who adopted the Berber languages. Is this true?
...heck, we have white Berber speakers in North Africa!

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Check it in Bates for the root M-Z-GH as it morphs
from Mazices to Mazigh.

I posted something on this and your latter question
but without the search function I have no hope of
finding it.

quote:

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Graves' The Greek Myths is an excellent source
for this kind of thing. Diop (can't recall which
work) posits the Amazons as 'non-african' women
-- his bias against Berbers -- who found respect
for females among Africans. He makes good points,
based on cultural analysis, for why Amazons aren't native to Africa.

I've only read Grave's work as it pertains to other Greek myths, but exactly what points did Diop make for his conclusion? Remember, Diop did not consider Berbers to be true indigenous (black) Africans even though linguistics, archaeolocy and anthropology as well as recently genetics have proven otherwise and that only the coastal Berbers of the Maghreb possess maternal European lineages.

quote:
Truth to tell, I wonder if the metal age Imazighen were the product of the indigenous North African males taking Sea Peoples' women and gelding or otherwise hampering Sea Peoples' men from leaving progeny?
Is it because of the male bias lineages in the area? Remember that we have the same phenomenon in the northeast Mediterranean including the Levant and Greece. Although we have very minute evidence of maternal lineages such as N1.

quote:
Don't really know enough about north and northeast Med culture but those lightest skinned Imazighen of 3000 years ago, or even in the rock art, don't display anything like what I imagine north/northeast Med culture to have been like at that time.
I know more about northeast Med. culture. All evidence indicates that the Mediterranean cultures during the early Bronze Age and especially during the Neolithic were probably matriarchal or matric in aspect. This is inferred from the archaeological finds, and many myths and stories of the peoples. Although there hasn't been much evidence actual female warriors in the area, it would not be much of surprise that they existed. By the way, what rock-art of these "lightest-skinned" females do you speak of? All the rock-art I've seen depicted dark-skinned aparently black women.

quote:
Fig 1. Top of image: North African males in the Aegean w/t kind of females who lightened their complexions?

-

I've seen this frescoe before and others like it; however I have alse seen frescoes, especially ones from Crete which depict females in the same dark color as the males. But could the lighter convention in females be an influence from Egypt or something? Even in later Classical Greek art, women were given a lighter complexion than men who painted as tanned.

There are a few depictions in Greek art of the Libyan Gorgon Amazons. Here is one below

-

^The vase painting depicts a Libyan Amazon kneeling in prayer before an altar. Many scholars have pointed out the "negroid" features of the woman. And notice that the strange altar she prays in front of is the exact same kind depicted in Greek paintings featuring Egyptians.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Djehuti

Why is there always these absolutes? In mentioning
pale women does this eclipse the fact of dark women?
I hardly believe so.

Dark skinned women aren't going to lighten up the
complexions of indigenous dark skinned North African.

I'm suggesting, based on the genetics and the material
culture, that well before Sea Peoples' time, the earlier
Imazighen/littoral North Africans were in touch with the
Aegean and took many women from there to wife.

The genetics shows modern Imazighen to be overwhelmingly
African in NRY yet significantly "EurAsian" in mtDNA.
I'm suggesting they didn't wait until Islamic times
before they started siring children on pallid foreign
women.

The material culture there in BCE times is North African
with little if anything south and/or southeast European
about it.

Warrior Sea People males should've left more traces
of their NRY and material culture. Since that's not
the case, I suggest NA males took SP women while
limiting SP males opportunities to leave progeny.

The rock art shows lighter skinned women who look like
a variant of African womanhood even in its earliest
periods of true portrait art. The Aegean piece I posted
has women who look more Euro than Afro (to me) but
who are African acculturated (unless Euro women are
known to balance jugs on their heads.

We know NAs were generally dark enough to "cluster" with
"blacks" clear up to Muslim conquest times. And we
also know the north Meds viewed them as the lightest
of the "blacks."

I hope this clarifies some of my thoughts about this.

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't have the book at home, but from what I remember BATES didn't provide any convincing evidence of Mshwsh being related to M-Z-GH. Didn't he just state the names were related, like they also were to... Masai(!)?

Fortunately, I've found an interesting francophone article written by a Berber-activist Kabyle linguist by the name of Salem CHAKER (INALCO, Paris):
http://www.inalco.fr/crb/pages_html/webdoc/amazigh.pdf

Here is basically what he says in it:

1)The word Amazigh/ Imazighen is nowadays attested among Chleuhs & Riffians where it is restricted to "the White Berber, the true Berber, as opposed to Negroids (sic)";

Among the Tuareg, where it's applied to the whole population (in the North) or to the nobility (in the South);

Also among some Berbers from Tunisia Libya & Algeria (the South of Oran),with sometimes the meaning of "master, lord, etc".

2)He then deals with ethnonyms supposedly related to M-Z-GH:
-Maxyes (Herodotus)
-Mazyes (Hecateus)
-Mazaces, Mazices, Mazikes, Mazax, Mazazaces among latin writers;

Those names are found among the whole Maghreb to describe specific groups, but more rarely to describe the whole Maghrebian population (cf Lucanus & Corippus), although it's difficulto know if it is because a generalization by Latin authors or not.

The common ethnonym for these he postulates is Mazik- which he says is compatible with M-Z-GH, the final /k/ could correspond to the transphonologization of Berber [gh] by Latin language or to [q], which is with [gh] an allophone of a same phoneme.

He points out that it was also a nickname and is still found among some Tunisians as a surname nowadays.

3) Then CHAKER deals with the Middle-Ages where M-Z-GH isn't found as an ethnonym or an anthroponym, just as the name of an ancestor claimed by many Maghrebi.

4)In the fourth part, he deals with the etymology of the root.

He convincingly refutes proposed etymologies with the meaning of "red", "to rob", "to walk as nobleman", and says the etymology is currently uncertain because its theme has no cognates in modern Berber languages except if the root *Z-GH is related to a Berber root meaning "to erect a tent", the initial *M would be a morpheme prefixed to the theme found in many "Afrasian" languages to create a substantive from a verbal theme (cf. Arabic B-R-K, "to bless"> M-B-R-K, Mubarak "the blessed one", etc.)> "Those who dress tents, the nomads, the free men"(WTF?).

My take:

CHAKER didn't mention Mshwsh among his cognates and I believe it is for phonemic purposes.

Simply put, If the final -sh is an Egyptian morpheme as commonly believed, then the theme would be Mshw which is hardly relatable to Mazik-, a distribution M-(sibilant consonant)- (velar consonant) being largely attested in various Egyptian language synchronies.

If the ethnonyms Mshwsh & M-Z-GH, Rbw, etc. aren't not relatable to Berber, is it possible for them to be of extra-african origin?

quote:
Check it in Bates for the root M-Z-GH as it morphs
from Mazices to Mazigh.

I posted something on this and your latter question
but without the search function I have no hope of
finding it.

quote:

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who were they?
Were any "imported?"

quote:
There were female warrior dieties in Egypt.

quote:

Satet is one and she came from the South. Many of the later dieties and triads are copies of those that originated in the South.

the Triad of Elephantine

Elephantine (Abu) was the ancient capital of the first nome of Upper Egypt. It is a small island just north of the First Cataract of the Nile.

Khnemu was a ram-headed creator-god whose cult center was at the city of Elephantine. Khnemu was said to have created all men and their kai from clay and straw. He molded their bodies on a giant potter's wheel. In the Pyramid Texts of the Old Kingdom, the pharaoh was called the "son of Khnemu." Inscriptions at Elephantine detail the visit to the shrine of Khnemu at Elephantine by Pharaoh Djoser. He was there to request the god's help in ending a seven year long famine which had plagued Egypt.

At the Great Temple of Luxor, Khnemu was shown sculpting the body and ka of the pharaoh. The queen had conceived the king following intercourse with Amon and Hathor brought the sculptures to life by giving them the ankh.

Rounding out the triad of Elephantine was Khnemu's consort, Satet and their daughter, Anqet. Satet, as the "Mistress of Elephantine", was associated with the annual flooding of the Nile. Anqet was the divine child of Satet and Khnemu and was seen as the guardian of Egypt's southern frontier and the Nile cataracts.

http://egyptianmyths.net/elephant.htm

Neith is nothing but a duplicate of Satet. Both are associated with primeval waters. Both are associated with Khnum and both are associated with the hunt. However, Neith is more prominent in predynastic to dynastic times due to the prevalence of the name among royal women. But, the most important thing to note is that the bow of Neith is an ancient weapon that was almost always associated with THE SOUTH. Most theories that place the origins of neith Neith in among foreigners are just that, theories, as the oldest references to Neith are in UPPER Egypt. Likewise, those scholars who say she originated amongst the Libyans are actually talking about the Libyans to the SOUTH and WEST of Egypt, not coastal Libyans in any sense, but some people take it to mean otherwise.

quote:

Nit (Gr: Neith) much later a local goddess of Zau (Gr: Sais), but known as early as the Predynastic and Early Dynastic Period when her influence probably was at its height. Earliest traces are her hieroglyph (crossed arrows on a shield) on a pole in front of the reed shrines and on pottery from Dynasty I in Abydos. Nit is sometimes a goddess of war, sometimes the patroness of weawing, a mortuary goddess and in later times an androgynous Creator.

Although Nit probably originated in Libya, the earliest traces comes from Upper Egypt. Her influence seems to have been at its height in the Predynastic and Early Dynastic Period. She is not documented in writing before the last part of the Predynastic period, but there is evidence of her before that time.

Her hieroglyph; two crossed arrows on a shield, was carved on a pole in front of the primitive reed shrines and on pottery, also on funerary stelae from Early Dynastic tombs at Abedjou and Diaspolis Parva (Hut-Sekhem, 7th Nome), and on an inlaid amulet from a tomb at Naq-el-Deir, and even on the roof of boats. There is also a wooden label from Abedjou which appears to show King Aha (c. 3100 BC) visiting a shrine to Nit. These findings indicate that she was important all over Egypt already at an early stage in history. At Abedjou she was connected to the rites of renewal of the king´s power.

Also, note that the primary symbol of Neith is the bow and arrow an ancient symbol that has long been associated with SOUTHERNERS. There can be no doubt that this is an indication of origins amongst southerners as southerners were long associated with bows and expertise in warfare using such. But, on a more fundamental level, it goes back to the origins of hunter gatherers in Africa, where women as well as men would have learned to use bows and other tools of both war and hunting. This aspect of the hunter gatherer lifestyle is seen in the rock art of the Sahara, where women are often shown engaged in the hunt and cattle herding. This therefore places Neith and Satet as purely indigenous dieties arising out of the original populations of Egypt and Africa and the role of Neith is clearly an acknowledgement of this ancient tradition.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red, White, and Blue + Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Takruri said:

"While KM.t was not in contact with people farther away then either the western delta or the Siwa oasis, people from Tripolitania contacted KM.t and did so very violently."

WRONG!!!!

The Ancient Egyptians traded with West Africa. They were in the Tibesti region of Chad as traders!

Posts: 1115 | From: GOD Bless the USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red, White, and Blue + Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tibesti is the land of the Kanuri speaking Toubou and their ancestors did trade with the Ancient Egyptians. I have it spelled out in a file somewhere. Of course, Chad is right next to Nubia.

Their Rock Art is amazing.

BTW, M Z GH is really M Z R

It's Amaziren and the Tuareg have a mixed ancestry. Some clans come from the central Sahara area. Some came from Morocco/Muaretania.

Posts: 1115 | From: GOD Bless the USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Those of us familiar with the written symbol G know
that aspirated it can represent a throaty R sound, at
least those of us who speak or hear spoken or read
some Afrisan language (like taMazight or pristine
Hebrew) know this.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Can you produce a single AE document to verify your fantasy?

quote:
Originally posted by MyRedCow:
The Ancient Egyptians traded with West Africa. They were in the Tibesti region of Chad as traders!

Member # 10893

Member Rated:
When I find the files, I will show you.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Are you talking about the trade in amazonite carried on by Garamantes?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
MZGH = noble or free
i-MuSHaGH (west of Fezzan)
i-MaGiGH-en (Air)
ta-MaSeGH-t (Adrar)
i-MaZiGH-en (Moroccan Rif, Atlas, South Atlas, Aures)

Classical usages
MaZiC-es
MaZaC-es
MaZaG-es
MaZY-es
MaXY-es

AE era usage
MSHU (from whence MaXY-es and MaZY-es)

================

all the above from Bates (wonder what Hagan's got?)

quote:
... what are people relying on to claim that Mshwsh is related to M-Z-GH (especially with -sh being a grammatical morpheme)?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com