EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ramses II: "Up in the Hair"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramses II: "Up in the Hair"
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Pharaoh's Hair Returns To Egypt

3,200-Year-Old Hair Of Ramses II Returns To Egyptian Museum

CAIRO, Egypt, April 10, 2007

(AP) Locks of 3,200-year-old hair from the pharaoh Ramses II were unveiled at the Egyptian Museum on Tuesday, returned to Egypt after being stolen 30 years ago in France and put up for sale on the Internet.

The small tufts of brown hair were displayed alongside pieces of linen bandages and 11 pieces of resin used in the mummification of Ramses and his son Merneptah in a glass display case. Photographers mobbed the case as Egypt's culture minister and antiquities chief showed off the returned items.

The hair will eventually be put on display next to Ramses' mummy at the museum.

The theft of the items was discovered when the pieces of hair were put up for sale on a Web site last November by a French postman, Jean-Michel Diebolt, who gave the hair a price tag of $2,600.

Diebolt is the son of a French researcher who examined the 3,200-year-old mummy when it was brought to France in 1976 for treatment to stop the spread of a rare fungus. Diebolt is being investigated in France for allegedly possessing stolen goods.

Egyptian antiquities official Ahmed Saleh traveled to Paris early last week to retrieve the stolen items.

"It was wonderful mission. I felt very great when I had the lock of hair of Ramses II in my hand," said Saleh.

-

Ramses II, who ruled from 1270 to 1213 B.C., is one of ancient Egypt's most famous pharaohs, known for building some of its grandest monuments. Some believe him to be the pharaoh at the time of Moses.

Egypt's antiquities chief, Zahi Hawass, said the retrieval of the items was made possible by the strong diplomatic relations between Egypt and France.

Hawass, who has pressed several countries for the return of Egyptian antiquities, said the Internet is playing an important role in the search for other stolen relics.

"We open the Internet everyday, and the most important source you have are my spies," Hawass said. "I have spies all over the world, and those spies, they inform me every day of things you would not believe."

Hawass has sought _ without success _ the return of such finds as the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum, the bust of Nefertiti at Berlin's Egyptian Museum and a pharaonic mask at the St. Louis Art Museum.

But he said Egypt is awaiting the arrival of a statue coming from Spain, another artifact from Mexico and duck-shaped lamps that were stolen from Saqqara and will be retrieved from Paris.

If Egypt has its way, more artifacts will follow. Saleh added: "When one country gives you back your artifact, other countries will do the same." [Source]

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^So I guess the guy who stole them is going to be charged with felony(?)

Charged as a felon for stealing hair! LOL [Big Grin]

Posts: 26332 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Ramses II did'nt have red hair?

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Judging by the hair samples, he did. But whether this was his natural hair color or simply artificial dye is another question.

And I believe that question has been answered on this board.. 3 times.

Posts: 26332 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Judging by the hair samples, he did. But whether this was his natural hair color or simply artificial dye is another question.

And I believe that question has been answered on this board.. 3 times.

The article says the hair is brown.

-

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ As always, common sense must be used.

The man died at like '90'.

His 3000 year old hair was possibly processed after death, and has been bombarded for over 50 years with X-rays.

It's amazing that it's not completely bleeched blonde by now, and glo-in-the-dark to boot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would assume that a man of at least 80 years would have almost totally depigmented hair--grey hair! So when were those hair samples cut from Ramses's hair?
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, don't forget about the alkaline based embalming products.
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they did microscopic analysis of his hair and found that he was in fact a red-head? Based on that I think they referred to him as a fair-skinned Berber type.. At least that's what's on wikipedia about his mummy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_II#Mummy

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Berber??? Ha!

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I repeat:
Berber??? Ha!

--------------------

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vidadavida
Member # 12945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vidadavida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say half Egyptian half Asiatic
rather than berber but I guess thats what they meant by "type"

Posts: 271 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So was Ramses really Asiatic or what? I've never heard an explanation for it other than that he was foreign or people simply don't address it. Microscopic analysis indicates a red head, I understand that this must of been extremely rare in Egypt but what are people's interpretation? It would be extremely frustrating if this has been covered before and therefore people feel unnecessary to address it for the sake of some new inquirer who can't find the relevant thread..
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Rameeses was not an Asiatic.

The study in question is not universally agreed upon as being accurate. It is well knownt that Africans use henna to dye their hair and that this dyeing was the ancient "grecian formula" for those with gray hair, like Ramesses II. Henna turns the hair brown. This hair, if it IS Rameses hair, is either naturally brown or the result of dyeing. Either way, it is NOT blonde in appearance. Also, we are not sure if this was the hair used in the microscopic analysis or some other hair samples. It would be odd if it was this particular sample, because you need to get to the root of the hairs to get a more accurate measurement of color, supposedly, which is not tainted by age or chemicals.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^Thanx for the response..I'm perfectly aware that many Egyptians dyed their hair with henna and so did Ramses, this attests to the fact that his mummies' hair isn't gray and he died old. Yet and still, I'm at odds with the study indicating that he's a red head. I see no reason for them to fabricate the results as they did inspect the roots of his hair and found red pigment.

"Microscopic inspection of the roots of Rameses II's hair revealed that the king was originally a redhead".. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_II#Mummy

It is also claimed that his father Seti I was a red head (but I'm not sure if microscopy was done on him).

From the French analysis..

"Ramses Ild mummy’s hair is confined to a temporo-occipital zone which corresponds to an advanced stage of baldness.

Hairs are slightly crimped and show an oval cross-section, the great axis of which lies between 60 and 70 urn : they are specific of <« a cymotrich leucoderm >>
"

They found Pheomelanin which makes up red hair, even though Pheomelanin doesn't necessarily equate to red head since it is found in dark hair, of course it's a signifier of redness of the hair so his hair in some way had to have red hue..

^^Would it be possible that Ramses simply was not your typical Egyptian type, because given his features and hair he seems atypical of the previous dynasty kings? Do you guys ever entertain that possibility, or no? I'm not sure how to objectively weave around the hair problem with out at least considering the possibility that he wasn't a typical case and could of been mixed.. I don't know, I thought somebody could point something out to me that I wasn't aware of, but redness of the hair is hard to reconcile with almost any indigenous group in Africa.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I can't bump these three up for a revisit but here're the urls for

Topic: Was Rameses II a Redhead?
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000853.html

Topic: CONTINUE OF RAMSES WAS ASIATIC
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003527;p=1#000001

Topic: Ramses 2... has blond hair...comments please
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003513;p=1

Sundjata
Member # 13096

^I have no idea how you found those but thanx a lot, I'll just review these convos.. I guess I need to start looking harder for the relevant topics before I address an issue, I went back so many pages looking for this and just gave up, so thanx again, appreciate it....
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Anther Ramses threads.

Topic: Ramses II
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003255;p=1;#000030

========================================

The issue of Ramses II's ethnic composition was raised here 11 months
ago where it was generally acknowledged he had a slight AAMW strain
from his mother's father. Supercar presented the results of X-ray examination.

His pertinent posts are here
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003255;p=1;#000030

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003255;p=1;#000033

Nominal evidence of Ramses II's maternal grandfather possibly being AAMW is here
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003255;p=1;#000028

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003255;p=1;#000025

For those who just want to go on and on and on about black and
white, in the end there was nothing to suggest that Ramses II
was white in any sense of a USA racial meaning
. It's unlikely
AAMW were white in the sense of modern day Greeks or Turks,
or "white" in the sense of modern day Syrians or Lebanese who
do have levels of European whiteness from Circassian and Slavic
slave mothers, Crusader invasion fathers, and French colonial
laisans of various sorts.

Besides that, Ramses II was not AAMW, just one of his four
grandparents possibly was. As for African affinity, Sergi
craniofacially ranked Ramses II with king Mtesa of Uganda.

--------------------

vidadavida
Member # 12945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vidadavida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the one drop rule? And what was his grandfathers name on his mothers side? Lets not just accept mulatto Egyptians like African Americans love to accept mulattos in America. Got to be fair ya know.
Posts: 271 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^^True.. That's pretty much the idea that I got after reading some of the informative posts in the links alTakruri provided, one thing that is apparent though is that he wasn't "Caucasian", he just happened to have different features than 18th dynasty kings and was probably mixed with Lybian or some Hyksos blood that was left in the Delta.. But yea, there was definitely no "White" (in the American sense) Ramses..
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^The point is that his bloodline was overwhelmingly African, with only the slightest chance of any AAMW (asiatic) blood. That puts it into proper perspective.
Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^^I can accept and agree with that..

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com