EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Mauri - How could 19th European dictionaries get it so wrong (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Mauri - How could 19th European dictionaries get it so wrong
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said we should re-discuss it, because i saw you beginning from "dictinaries" ending with Maures of the late ages.

The dictionaries might be useful when it comes to "words", but almost useless when it comes to "Foreign names" like "Mauris".

(I didn't follow the discussion, because it was hard to follow, long (form) and too open/wide (inforamtions)).

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word Mauri is a Latin word regardless of where it originated and what it means or how it was used by speakers of Latin is not open to question.

The word Mazike was also a name that was used by one Berber tribe in ancient times and the fact that it is used now for all Berber nationals is not going to change history or the skeletons in the Mazike tombs.

Why don't you make ur point here.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The word Mauri is a Latin word regardless of where it originated "

Can you explain a bit more?

"The word Mazike was also a name that was used by one Berber tribe in ancient times and the fact that it is used now for all Berber nationals"

I don't believe this. Can you give an eliminating source?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
"The word Mauri is a Latin word regardless of where it originated "

Can you explain a bit more?

What I meant was the word is uesed in Latin, even if it originated elsewhere. I am not sure where. Some have suggested it is Phoenician (Canaanite) in origin.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:

"The word Mazike was also a name that was used by one Berber tribe in ancient times and the fact that it is used now for all Berber nationals"

I don't believe this. Can you give an eliminating source?

Thanks in advance

Did u mean illuminating source? Actually there a number of sources which I think I have already mentioned several places throughout this forum.

I will mention a few early sources below.

The word "Mazikes" is used for a particular population in the deserts of Tripolitania and Tunis in Roman times and one of many tribes. They are sometimes called Mauri Mazazeces and categorized as "Ethiopians".

See S. Gsell La Tripolitaine et le Sahara au troisieme siecle de notre ere," in Mem. Acad. Inscr. XLIII (1933)

They are mentioned as the Mauri Mazazeces in the Latercolus Veronensis (Verona List of North African Provinces). see also Le Fin de Maroc Romaine, by Jerome Carocopino. In Melange d'Archeologie and d'Histoire vol 57, 1940

http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/mefr_0223-4874_1940_num_57_1_7319?_Prescripts_Search_tabs1=standard&

The Mazikes (Imazighen or Amazigh) and are always listed with other tribes of Mauri or Berbers in the texts of Byzantine Roman times through the 19th century even by colonialists. Therefore it is safe to assume it was the name of a tribe originally and not just a nationality.

Of course the name Mazigh is in fact said to have been the name of a "Canaanite" leader from which came the tribal name.

This tradition has been cited by many people ancient and modern.

"The Shellooh it must be observed are a clanspeople and great genealogists. They call themselves the descendants of Mazigh son of Canaan..." p. 263 Penny Cyclopedeia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Volum 3-4. 1835

also found in The Tuareg Veil 1926 HR Palmer, The Geographical Journal, Vol. 68, No. 5 (Nov., 1926), pp. 412-418

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Thanks for the explanation. I think the Mauri were a part of the Imazighen not the contrary. But this would be another discussion.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com