EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Whitewashing in Clash of the Titans movies? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Whitewashing in Clash of the Titans movies?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_PrimeIdiot:
Herodotus describes them as STRAIGHT haired and clearly notes they were a seperate race to the western wooly haired Ethiopians.

Lying piece a sh!t.
LOL
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

Anglo sure like to take liberties with ancient writers, where as Herodotus unites eastern and western Ethiopians with the only difference is language and hair texture he separates them..divide and conquer must be in the blood of the Brits.

Indeed. BOTH groups were called 'Ethiopians' and BOTH groups were described as 'black' with the only differences being what you just mentioned. Of course the only speaking of 'race' and racial crap is the Anglo-Idiot.

This is why I am getting the Hadley book. So I can cite the first hand evidence of what the Greeks actually said themselves. It's because I'm sick of Anglo-idiots distorting and twisting what the Greeks and Romans actually said of the black peoples they saw and encountered!

This reminds me of how some idiots who call themselves 'scholars' would try to lie and spin Greek descriptions of Egyptians as melanos to mean 'dark' or 'tan' when the word itself actually means BLACK!

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I think Anglo-PrimeIdiot knows this per his alleged Classics 'studies' but chooses to ignore these FACTS anyways! [Embarrassed]
quote:

That's not completely true. I think it was Frank Snowden who noted Memnon as being among the couple of black figures who sometimes appeared white washed in the descriptions of later Greco-Romans.

If that's the case then I stand corrected. Though I will say that the same definitely may have happened with Andromeda for as Hadley herself has remarked in her book that though the people of Ethiopia were black, Andromeda may have been portrayed as white in later times due to her beauty. Thus, the cultural bias that a beautiful woman (to the Greeks) had to be fair in complexion.
One only has to type the actual Greek word Αιθιοπία for Ethiopia, into a search box like Google. Let's see what happens?

Anglo P goes by "science fiction aka science fantasy" in the literal meaning of the word.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just started writing a story starring Andromeda. You can read the opening excerpt here.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Experimental book cover for my story:
 -

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO...

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_Pyramidologist:
It isn't rocket science...

ruddy-brown skin of Memnon -

-

-

The Original Middle East and Southern Euro's were Black Kushites...LMAO

-

-

quote:
pred Caucasoid in the middle-east as shown in their creation myths.

-

It isn't rocket sciene

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL Not rocket science indeed!

quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:

Experimental book cover for my story:
 -

Hey Truth, just a suggestion but maybe for the background you should show a picture of the sea shore to indicate that her kingdom (if it was south of Egypt) is by the Red Sea. Also, I suggest you put more metal jewelry and multicolored beads on her since such was a sign of high status even among the Omo Valley people such as the Hamar and Karo.
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ jesus christ.

Andromeda is described in the classical literature as a beautiful princess, with white skin and flowing hair. Not a hideous congoid with an afro...

what the REAL andromeda would have looked like -

-

Posts: 1575 | From: - | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''For his white Ethiopian Andromeda Heliodorus was probably influenced by images he hadseen of the rescue by Perseus, such as those which survive in ancient paintings and mosaics.

[...]He was presumably influenced too by the ekphrastic descriptions ofpictures of the subject by Hellenistic writers... they either imply or explicitly state that Andromeda was pale-skinned.

The lengthy account ofone such painting in that other famous Greek romance, Clitophon and Leucippe by Achilles Tatius, certainly indicates this, referring to the pallor on her cheeks which deprives them of their usual pink, and her outstretched arms turned livid from their normal spotless white.

...And if he had consulted the Imagines of Philostratus, Heliodorus would have been assured that Andromeda, though Ethiopian, was nonethe less depicted as white. ...

Philostratus describes Andromeda as delightful or charming in her white beauty.

... The authors of mythological compendia seem to confirmAndromeda's whiteness, or at least do not contradict it. Manilius, indeed, describesher in the Poetica astronomica as white-throated ('nivea cervice'...

And those writers who talk of other painted versions and refer to the Ethiopian location-Lucian, forexample, with his reference to the Ethiopian adventure -give no indication that she was not white''

The Black Andromeda
Author(s): Elizabeth McGrathSource: Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, Vol. 55 (1992), pp. 1-18

NOTE: The above paper shows how Andromeda who was originally depicted and known to be white skinned and clearly Caucasoid by the ancient Greeks and Romans, changed far later during the Renaissance to be ''black''.

Posts: 1575 | From: - | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
^ So far from ''whitewashing'' what we have is a story about a white princess (as described in all the ancient texts) who was ''blackwashed'' for some unknown reason during the Renaissance...
HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^Thats not completely true. I think it was Frank Snowden who noted Memnon as being among the couple of black figures who sometimes appeared white washed in the descriptions of later Greco-Romans.

Snowden on race in classical mythology:

"the presence of black gods or heroes and their interracial amours presented no embarassment and evoked no apologies from poets or artists."

Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_Idiot:

So far from ''whitewashing'' what we have is a story about a white princess (as described in all the ancient texts) who was ''blackwashed'' for some unknown reason during the Renaissance...

LOL @ "blackwashed". There is no such phrase as you cannot wash something's pigment away to become "black"! Dumbf*ck. Swenet and Heru are correct that the white-wash is what truly occurred for how can an Ethiopian princess be 'white'. Andromeda's genealogy was expressed here and she shares commont descent from Libya (Africa) along with Aegyptus of Egypt as well as Danaus of Libya proper.
Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
quote:
Snowden on race in classical mythology:

"the presence of black gods or heroes and their interracial amours presented no embarassment and evoked no apologies from poets or artists."

More retard fantasy...

The Gods and heroes of Greek mythology are mostly all described as fair haired and light skinned. None are described as Black.

Trust me, you won't win on this topic. I published the largest collection of pigmentation of God via classical references on the net.

HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
LOL @ "blackwashed". There is no such phrase as you cannot wash something's pigment away to become "black"! Dumbf*ck. Swenet and Heru are correct that the white-wash is what truly occurred for how can an Ethiopian princess be 'white'. Andromeda's genealogy was expressed here and she shares commont descent from Libya (Africa) along with Aegyptus of Egypt as well as Danaus of Libya proper.

Thanks for the link
Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deleted.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hollywood is very racist in historical movies.In the movie Troy king Argamemnon(Memnon)is portray as a pale man even thought in history/mythology he is black. In the movie Alexander Niger the best friend of Alexander is play by a pale man when Niger was black in history .

In history/mythology princess Andromeda was the black daughter of the city of Joffa Ethiopian king Cepheus and Ethiopian Queen Andromeda(Anu Mauro). In the two movies the clash of the Titan Andromeda is portray as a pale person .

Black actor like Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, Eddy Murphy, Lawrence Fishburn, Will Smith are never cast as Pharaoh, Ethiopian king or Moorish king in any movie. There are no movie about ancient Egypt that show the Egyptian Elite and people as black.The black people are alway the servant .

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:

Hollywood is very racist in historical movies.In the movie Troy king Argamemnon(Memnon)is portray as a pale man even thought in history/mythology he is black. In the movie Alexander Niger the best friend of Alexander is play by a pale man when Niger was black in history.

Actually, Agamemnon the (Greek) King of Mycenae and brother of Helen's original husband Menelaus was different from the Ethiopian king Memnon, but other than that your point is too well noted. LOL @ Niger being played by a white guy!

Hollyweird's racist white-wash tradition is so blatant, just remember what they did with the movie The Last Airbender, that awful dreck by M. Night Shyalaman.

quote:
In history/mythology princess Andromeda was the black daughter of the city of Joffa Ethiopian king Cepheus and Ethiopian Queen Andromeda (Anu Mauro). In the two movies the clash of the Titan Andromeda is portray as a pale person.
Yes this was discussed not only in this thread but several others. I even included a link to a thread about Andromeda's genealogy. Not surprising that in both movies (original and remake), Ethiopia was not mentioned at all.

quote:
Black actor like Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, Eddy Murphy, Lawrence Fishburn, Will Smith are never cast as Pharaoh, Ethiopian king or Moorish king in any movie. There are no movie about ancient Egypt that show the Egyptian Elite and people as black.The black people are alway the servant .
Actually from what I've heard, Will Smith made a movie where he portrays the Nubian king Taharqa, though the Egyptians are played by whites. I believe Halle Berry played Nefertiti in a movie several years ago but haven't heard a peep from it since.

Yeah, Hollywierd is full of sh*t.

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_Pyramidologist:
It isn't rocket science...

-

Typical of Caucasoids or pred Caucasoid in the middle-east as shown in their creation myths.

quote:
Archibald Sayce who noted that the Akkadian word Adamatu, meaning "dark red" (earth),[11] appears closely connected to the etymology of Adam and that it relates to dark red skin.[12][13] Adam in Hebrew translates as "ruddy" according to Gesenius,[14] "red, of the colour of blood" according to Calmet,[15] or "ruddiness of flesh" ("ruddy") according to James Strong.[16] The root of the word Adam is dam, meaning blood and some scholars have shown the parallels between this and the creation of man as described in the Enűma Eliš (Tablet VI). In Hebrew also, adom translates as "ruddy" or "red", while adamah as "red soil".[17][18] Furthermore according to Josephus (c. 94 AD): "This man was called Adam, which in the Hebrew tongue signifies one that is red, because he was formed out of the red earth".

Sayce, acknowledging the aforementioned links believed that the "dark race" described in K. 3364 (line 18) was a dark reddish skinned aboriginal race of "primitive Babylonia"

Compare to Negroids (no ruddy glow) -

-

Dude I keep hearing you throw around 'Ruddy' like its the color of Europeans or something ... do you even know what color Ruddy is? Geez!!! I'm black and my skin color is 'Ruddy'; damn!!! YOU ARE IGNORANT!!!

This cigar is 'Ruddy':
 -

This dirt is 'Ruddy':
 -

Now look is that 'Ruddy' color human ... geez man!!!

-

Now that's the color of 'Ruddy' its not white skin or Caucasoid as you like to call it.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com