EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Possible Ewe people of Togo connection to ancient Egypt???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible Ewe people of Togo connection to ancient Egypt???
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this is more of a question then a suggestive topic.

I found this information

"In Togo, West Africa, and in the United States, the priestesses of Mami Wata are called Mammisi.

Now I researched that name and the only other place that I could find that name was in ancient Egypt.It was the Temple of Hathor aka Ht Hru.

Is there a link between the to because from my understanding the priestesses of ancient Hathor worshiper were in fact called Mammisii as according to the temple.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men kheper Ra I think you make a great discovery and you also answer your own creation .I remember in a Ashra Kwesi Egypt dvd there was part of the temple of Hathor call mammisii birth place were the God Heru was born .
From you Im learning the priestess of Hathor were called Mammisii and the Togolese priestess of Mama Wata are called Mammisi .
According to Prof Catherine Acholini the great Igbo family include the Igbo,Yoruba,Benin,Akan .The Igbo created the Egyptian civilisation .

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Men Kheper Ra:

I found this information

"In Togo, West Africa, and in the United States, the priestesses of Mami Wata are called Mammisi.

Now I researched that name and the only other place that I could find that name was in ancient Egypt.It was the Temple of Hathor aka Ht Hru.

Is there a link between the to because from my understanding the priestesses of ancient Hathor worshiper were in fact called Mammisii as according to the temple.

I would be curious to know where did you find the word Mammisi in Ancient Egypt (I mean what source). Do you have a link? Do you remember the source? That's pretty interesting.

I don't know about that particular word, but there's a lot of Ancient Egyptian words spread all across Africa.

Some examples are posted in this thread:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005906;p=3

Other examples here (for Wolof):
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006362

Some African people kept words similar to what it was 5000 ago while others didn't (depending on the word). The same phenomena can be seen in all relation between ancient language and modern languages (like old english vs modern english, Old bantu vs modern Bantu).

So if this word is similar to what it was in Ancient Egypt, it would be another word to add to the list of common Ancient Egyptian and African (Togo) words.

For example:
Dire, Parler, Raconter = Say, Talk, Tell
 -

You can see Ancient Egyptian and Ewe share a similar word for talking, having a conversation despite being separated by 5000 years.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:

I found this information

I would be curious to know where did you find the word Mammisi in Ancient Egypt (I mean what source). Do you have a link? Do you remember the source? That's pretty interesting.

I don't know about that particular word, but there's a lot of Ancient Egyptian words spread all across Africa.

I too question the claim. I know that Nubian priestesses of Amun were called Mammo-karo or something, but other than that. Amun-Ra is correct that there are many words in Egyptian language that are found in other African languages. This does not mean a direct connection to Egypt so much as a common origin with Egypt as these words are very well ancient and predate Egypt.

The very employment and nature of priestesses is enough to show Egypt's African connections.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
quote:

I found this information

I too question the claim. I know that Nubian priestesses of Amun were called Mammo-karo or something, but other than that. Amun-Ra is correct that there are many words in Egyptian language that are found in other African languages. This does not mean a direct connection to Egypt so much as a common origin with Egypt as these words are very well ancient and predate Egypt.

The very employment and nature of priestesses is enough to show Egypt's African connections.

This is what I found - before posting this thread ...

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/templeother.htm

http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/glossary.aspx?id=90

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=6336061

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/isisphilae.html#birth

Now the interesting thing about this - or my research is because I asked my father about his mothers dad and he sent me to a much older cousin (89 years of age) I was talking to my cousin and he was reading from his documented information that he received about our great grand father.

The first thing he said is that his grandmother My great grandfather grandmother - came directly from the West Coast of Africa. She was one of the last slaves to arrive - but when she came she was called Mammisii and that how he spelled it. He said that was her title and that's what every called. He said her parents were very rich and when they found out she was taken to the Americas they immediately paid for her freedom. So she maintain her title or name.

So I thought that was interesting which prompt me to look it up and I only found that name in two places in Africa as I was trying to pinpoint exactly where she could have came from based on the linguistics and etymology of the name.

Togo and ancient Egypt is the only places I found that name to be in existence. My great 3x grandmother was called Mammisii - but she also when by another name Mahalia (which is Hebrew).

Now according to the Ewe peoples - thy came from ancient Syria to Egypt and migrated west to Nigeria, Ghana, etc ...

So again I don't know but I think this is something that must be researched. I never knew that name even existed until my elder cousin told me that she was Mammisii.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I found this information

Some examples are posted in this thread:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005906;p=3

Other examples here (for Wolof):
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006362

Some African people kept words similar to what it was 5000 ago while others didn't (depending on the word). The same phenomena can be seen in all relation between ancient language and modern languages (like old english vs modern english, Old bantu vs modern Bantu).

So if this word is similar to what it was in Ancient Egypt, it would be another word to add to the list of common Ancient Egyptian and African (Togo) words.

For example:
Dire, Parler, Raconter = Say, Talk, Tell
 -

You can see Ancient Egyptian and Ewe share a similar word for talking, having a conversation despite being separated by 5000 years.

The funny thing is I wasn't looking for an Egyptian connection - I was actually trying to pinpoint my family in West Africa and I believe I have with the Ewe people as they are the only ones in West Africa that I've found today who uses that name.

Now I can't remember exactly where I found the preistess of Mammisii in ancient Egypt - so I have to research it thoroughly again. I thought I had it in my favorites - but I don't.

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:
Men kheper Ra I think you make a great discovery and you also answer your own creation .I remember in a Ashra Kwesi Egypt dvd there was part of the temple of Hathor call mammisii birth place were the God Heru was born .
From you Im learning the priestess of Hathor were called Mammisii and the Togolese priestess of Mama Wata are called Mammisi .
According to Prof Catherine Acholini the great Igbo family include the Igbo,Yoruba,Benin,Akan .The Igbo created the Egyptian civilisation .

This is what I found on the Mamiwata.com website:

"In Togo, West Africa, and in the United States, the priestesses of Mami Wata are called Mamisii (Mamissi, Mamaissii, Mammisi). Certain paths of high-priestesses who are called to open an Egbe (spirit house) are known as "Mamaaissii-Hounons" which translates as "queen of the ship", or literally "mother wisdom" ALAPINI 1955, mASSEY 1994, P. 227, Rosenthal 1998 p. 116-117). This is an ancient name probably having its etymological roots in ancient Egypt, where we find the name Mammisi meaning "motherhood temple", as the sacred shrine where the queen/ priestesses gives birth to spirit. (Walker 1983, p. 572-573)."

Now if you look at the Togolese description of the word it meant house and those who were able to open the Egbe they were called (Mamaaissii-Hounons) aka spirit house ... which is the same as the temple which gave birth to spirits aka Heru etc ...

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this site:

mammisi is not an Ancient Egyptian word but a word invented by Champollion to signify birth-house.

The original ancient Egyptian word for birth house is: pr-mna.t or pr-mst meaning "House of the nurse" or "House of birth" respectively.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
quote:
According to this site:

mammisi is not an Ancient Egyptian word but a word invented by Champollion to signify birth-house.

The original ancient Egyptian word for birth house is: pr-mna.t or pr-mst meaning "House of the nurse" or "House of birth" respectively.

Again this is the point of the research or even bringing it to this site - - many says that it was invented during the time of Cleopatra ....

So bringing it here is pivotal - nevertheless -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com