EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Nine bows, Throne painting Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye at Tomb of Anen (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nine bows, Throne painting Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye at Tomb of Anen
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti

quote:
The deity Montu or Mentu is different from the deity Men/Min. Min is a god of the Eastern Desert whose original cult center was in Akhmim in central Egypt. Montu or Mentu was a hawk deity whose cult center was located in Erment which is located in Upper Egypt about a dozen miles south of Waset (Thebes). The name 'Mentu' literally means nomad or wanderer. Funny that you bolded the name of one of his consorts Iunit as if there is a connection to the Iunty. If anything the only connection is the etymology of their name. Khnemu, the patron god of Abutu (Elephantine) has his consort Satet and his daughter Anuket. Though they may share the same etymology for the names of some Nehesi, it is a stretch to say there is a direct connection or correlation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montu
Excuse the wiki source but I think you should examine the below I am seeing a pattern here the name Montu does mean Nomad but it also connects to the God directly so what better fit than a some times nomadic warrior-like people named Mentu-Setet

quote:
In Ancient Egyptian religion, Montu was a falcon-god of war. Monthu's name, shown in Egyptian hieroglyphs to the right, is technically transcribed as mntw. Because of the difficulty in transcribing Egyptian, it is often realized as Mont, Monthu, Montju, or Menthu. Montu was an ancient god, his name meaning nomad, originally a manifestation of the scorching effect of the sun, Ra, and as such often appeared under the epithet Montu-Ra. The destructiveness of this characteristic led to him gaining characteristics of a warrior, and eventually becoming a war-god. Because of the association of raging bulls with strength and war, Montu was also said to manifest himself in a white bull with a black face, which was referred to as the Bakha. Egypt's greatest general-kings called themselves Mighty Bulls, the sons of Montu

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

-

^ the same headdress worn by Kushite kings!! [/QB]

-

look at the profile on this guy, just sayin

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
Djehuti

quote:
The deity Montu or Mentu is different from the deity Men/Min. Min is a god of the Eastern Desert whose original cult center was in Akhmim in central Egypt. Montu or Mentu was a hawk deity whose cult center was located in Erment which is located in Upper Egypt about a dozen miles south of Waset (Thebes). The name 'Mentu' literally means nomad or wanderer. Funny that you bolded the name of one of his consorts Iunit as if there is a connection to the Iunty. If anything the only connection is the etymology of their name. Khnemu, the patron god of Abutu (Elephantine) has his consort Satet and his daughter Anuket. Though they may share the same etymology for the names of some Nehesi, it is a stretch to say there is a direct connection or correlation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montu
Excuse the wiki source but I think you should examine the below I am seeing a pattern here the name Montu does mean Nomad but it also connects to the God directly so what better fit than a some times nomadic people warrior like

quote:
In Ancient Egyptian religion, Montu was a falcon-god of war. Monthu's name, shown in Egyptian hieroglyphs to the right, is technically transcribed as mntw. Because of the difficulty in transcribing Egyptian, it is often realized as Mont, Monthu, Montju, or Menthu. Montu was an ancient god, his name meaning nomad, originally a manifestation of the scorching effect of the sun, Ra, and as such often appeared under the epithet Montu-Ra. The destructiveness of this characteristic led to him gaining characteristics of a warrior, and eventually becoming a war-god. Because of the association of raging bulls with strength and war, Montu was also said to manifest himself in a white bull with a black face, which was referred to as the Bakha. Egypt's greatest general-kings called themselves Mighty Bulls, the sons of Montu

you have to look at the original non-transliterated names without the vowels

mntw.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass,:
quote:

-

^ the same headdress worn by Kushite kings!!

-

I see the profile of the god Amun. Exactly WHAT are you saying, twit??!
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additional Amun images.

Head of Amun

Period: New Kingdom

Dynasty: Dynasty 18

Reign: reign of Tutankhamun

Date: ca. 1336–1327 B.C.

Geography: Country of Origin Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Karnak

Medium: Granodiorite

Dimensions: H. 52.1 cm (20 1/2 in) weight 24.9 kg (55 lbs); with mount 27.7 kg (61lbs) [Apr. 2001]

Credit Line: Rogers Fund, 1907 Accession Number: 07.228.35

quote:
This head of the great state god of the New Kingdom, Amun (or Amun-Re), recognizable by his tall cap and double plumes, has a cool, somewhat uncompromising mien. The break at the right side indicates that the head belonged to a group statue, which may have included the king, most likely Tutankhamun.
 -
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Head of the god Amun, New Kingdom, post-Amarna period, Dynasty 18, reign of Tutankhamun, ca. 1336–1327 B.C.
Egypt
Granodiorite
H. 17 5/16 in. (44 cm), W. 15 1/16 in. (38.2 cm), D. 16 5/16 in. (41.5 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1907 (07.228.34)

The braided beard and the flat cap with remnants of double plumes identify this god as Amun. His small eyes are separated by a curved depression from the rounded brow ridge; his broad face shows full lips with sharp contours, and, from the side, a slightly drooping chin. These features closely parallel those of King Tutankhamun and mark the piece as his commission. The statue was certainly created for Karnak, Amun's great temple at Thebes, as part of Tutankhamun's restoration of the god's monuments that had been defaced or destroyed during the reign of Akhenaten. A number of sculptures depict Amun touching the crown of Tutankhamun, who stands or kneels before him. This head seems very large for such a composition, however; thus it is likely that the head originally belonged to a large freestanding or seated figure of the god.

The similarities between this piece and late Amarna art suggest that sculptors from Amarna were active in Thebes during Tutankhamun's reign. The combination of the lush physicality of the mouth with the distant, veiled gaze of the small eyes beneath shadowing brows creates a tension. These features—as in late Amarna art, and like similar tensions in the faces of late Middle Kingdom sculptures—were probably meant to convey a kind of interiority or reflectiveness.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_07.228.34.jpg

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_07.228.34_av1.jpg

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_07.228.34_av2.jpg

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The headdress of Amun is called the shuti and most folks don't know it, but that is the exact type of 'crown' worn by Kushite kings.

quote:
quote:

-

^ the same headdress worn by Kushite kings!!

-

I see the profile of the god Amun. Exactly WHAT are you saying, twit??!
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Damn I could murder you for chopping out
the hieroglyphics ruining an otherwise
good thing. Shrink 'em all down and try
and get Kush in there too will ya, please!

Sorry the glyphs are at an inconvenient location for cropping

-

Oho, so I come back to find you did it anyway
and in better format than what I did meanwhile.

-

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

I see the profile of the god Amun. Exactly WHAT are you saying??!
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

How useful can this be?

This assumes these various Nubians or people of the Southern lands, Sudan, Ethiopia, Lower Nubia, The Red Sea region,
all dressed exactly the same. Was this one big empire?
Or did the artist not know and make everybody a Kushite?

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How useful are you?

Rehashing an issue already covered.

Go back and reread the thread.

Um, didn't we go through this already?
Isn't the real reason you made your post is
because of your current tirade against me?
U r so transparent and poisonous to any
Afrikan who thinks with their own mind.

Anything from an idependent thinking Afrikan mind
is useless to you, meanwhile thoughtful others not
on a mission to destroy ES are thankful for the
clarifications and advance in the knowledge.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
You are in a state of paranoia now
I wasn't thinking of you in my last post.
I was looking back on my old post, the work I did putting together a nice graphic and carefully not cropping out the glyphs.
The looking over it just now I realized that whatever Egyptian artist who did the original painting seemed to make no distinction at all in the appearance of each of these ethnic groups.
The names and places are useful but the illustrations not, they seem to have all of these groups a steerotyped as looking like Kushites. Unless the all did have the exact same garb
I've got a life to live I'm not thinking about you.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

You're funny.

You steal my work and call it

"the work I did putting together a nice graphic"

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Describe precisely the work you did and why it's yours
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Do it yourself.

I don't have to defend myself against you.

You lack credibility.

Anyone reviewing the thread can see
where you got the images, how you
fought against the precise hieroglyphic
terms even chopping mdw ntjr in your
original pastiche telling me they are
unimportant, and where you learned
which moderns or modern locations
relate to the AEL terms.

You must think people have no memory or
you're just having one on the newbies who
wouldn't know you've never authored any
originality.

I thanked you for whatever tweaking you
did to make it look prettier but if it's
anyone's then it's my intellectual property.

For those not in the know, or new to the
forum, this thread's not the only one to
go into the issue of this particular rendition
of the Nine Bows from which I reduced the
four Nehesi reps under question.

Go on, keep trying to re-invent yourself.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
it's my intellectual property.

Please elaborate
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Already did if you'd but read instead
of just trying to goad and trolling
for more fish.

Do you even take yourself seriously?
I got things to do like devouring
sme 20 odd reports on the Andamans,
other so-called Asian Negritos, and
varying concepts of OoA.

This is the last of my time for you on this.
I expect further peregrinations from you
tranforming yourself into some kind of
major contributor to ES's independent
outlook on Egypt and etc. Whoever
agres? More power to 'em.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Do you even take yourself seriously?

Of course not, that causes problems for others
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com