EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient West African/Carthage contact/relations??? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ancient West African/Carthage contact/relations???
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of Ra:
@Tukuler

Yes I was talking about the Tjemehu IIRC they were depicted as no different from the Ancient Egyptians. Correct me if I am wrong.

There were obvious differences in the depictions of
Temehu as compared to AEs. In New Kingdom times
Tamahu were pictured to represent the non-Egyptian
west lands.

Here are some Tjehenu the earliest AE known Libyans
whom about colour yes you are basically correct.

-  -

-

-

-
1st & 4th from the left are THHNW

All above images from Sahure except the solo profile
from Narmer. This next Tjehenu is from Ramesses III.

-

We can see uniformity in Tjemehu across more than 1000 years,
Long hair swept backwards with a tress or two tucked behind
the ear only to fall upon the chest, two bandoliers crossing
the chest, nudity only covered by a penis stache.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
@Tukuler

Yes I was talking about the Tjemehu IIRC they were depicted as no different from the Ancient Egyptians. Correct me if I am wrong.
 -
 -
 -

And I already seen the thread in the first link. And what do you mean feel good history??? Are you implying that to me?

If I'm not mistaken, the above dressed as Egyptians are Egyptians including govenors of Dakhla and or Kharga and oasis, Libyan regions the Egyptians had taken control of.

Maybe somebody can take a crack at this>

-

Wrong...IIRC those are the 26th Libyan dynasty of Egypt. Jari posted them before.
Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Son of Ra I posted further background on the above paintings in a new thread

The tombs of Djed-Ankh-Amun-Iuf and his son Bannentiu BAHARIYA OASIS

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008757

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
quote:
@Tukuler

There were obvious differences in the depictions of
Temehu as compared to AEs. In New Kingdom times
Tamahu were pictured to represent the non-Egyptian
west lands.

Here are some Tjehenu the earliest AE known Libyans
whom about colour yes you are basically correct.

-  -

-

-

-
1st & 4th from the left are THHNW

All above images from Sahure except the solo profile
from Narmer. This next Tjehenu is from Ramesses III.

-

We can see uniformity in Tjemehu across more than 1000 years,
Long hair swept backwards with a tress or two tucked behind
the ear only to fall upon the chest, two bandoliers crossing
the chest, nudity only covered by a penis stache.

Good post.
Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

detail Obverse side of Narmer Palette

Immediately in front of Narmer is a person described as a priest or scribe, a "sandal-bearer" who is supposedly carrying the king' sandals. A pair of hieroglyphs appearing in front of him, which has been interpreted as being his name: Tshet. "master"
To the right of this person are four standard bearers, holding aloft an animal skin, a dog, and two falcons.

Comparison with Libyan
 -
 -

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Can we get back on topic with Carthage and West Africa now?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Did you read the whole Hanno's own account? That's basically the only thing known about a Carthage and West Africa connect.
If you go to the link on that post the page form wher it came from gives estimation of the moden African names corresponding

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

Did you read the whole Hanno's own account? That's basically the only thing known about a Carthage and West Africa connect.
If you go to the link on that post the page form wher it came from gives estimation of the moden African names corresponding

I already did and also...
quote:
Carthage sent caravans across the Sahara to West Africa and traded its manufactured and
agricultural goods for African gold, ivory, salt, wood, ebony, skins, and hides. Carthaginian
merchant ships also ventured to West Africa where they traded bronze, textiles, ceramics and
fine metalwork in what is now Senegal and Nigeria.
In the 5th century BC, the Carthaginian
navigator, Hanno, sailed to what is now Senegal in an attempt to establish a trading post to take
advantage of the gold trade. Later, Carthage developed a monopoly on bronze production. As a
result, Carthage became extremely wealthy and its impressive buildings, splendid temples, and
lavish houses were an indication of how the region had benefited from trade. The fine houses
were often situated around magnificent central courtyards. Carthaginian merchants became
some of the wealthiest people, owning large vineyards and extensive plantations on which they
grew wine or pastured animals. In time these merchants were to be found in practically all
of the Mediterranean ports including those of Greece, Egypt and the eastern Mediterranean.
Carthaginians had well-regulated trading connections that included commercial treaties
involving imports and exports. Trade with Iberia (Spain) was important for obtaining silver,
lead and tin ore for bronze. Carthage’s naval power enabled it to establish a monopoly on the
tin trade with Britain. After tin, silver was the most important commodity. Carthage’s strategic
position between Africa and Sicily gave it control of trade to the eastern Mediterranean. It also
controlled the making of the Tyrian purple dye which was often more valuable than gold.
Carthage produced finely embroidered and dyed cotton, linen, wool, and silk, as well as artistic
and functional pottery, faience, incense, and perfumes. Its artisans worked with glass, wood,
alabaster, ivory, bronze, brass, lead, gold, silver, and precious stones to create a wide array of
goods, including mirrors, highly admired furniture and cabinetry, beds, bedding, and pillows,
jewellery, arms, implements and household items. It traded in salted Atlantic fish and fish
sauce, and brokered the manufactured, agricultural, and natural products of almost every
Mediterranean people.
Carthage did not issue a coinage until the end of the 5th century BC. This may have been
because its trade with Africa and the tin trade with Britain was done through exchanges
of goods, while deals with Greeks were paid for in silver bullion.
Carthage’s trading monopoly was dependent upon its military power. Only Carthaginians were
chosen for the navy, although sometimes slaves were conscripted, while for the less reputed
army, mercenaries formed the main component

Source:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/Carthage_TeachersNotes.pdf

Does anyone has any additional sources of Carthage/West Africa contact/relations???

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
go to the lats page, references of your link

http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/Carthage_TeachersNotes.pd

look up each book in googlebooks:

http://www.google.com/advanced_book_search

then search each book of West Africa

also some of them are websites

for example specific titles in
livius.com (Loeb Classical Library)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com