EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Because I need to get something off my chest (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Because I need to get something off my chest
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No we don't. Natufians for instance have a ton of Basal versus WHG with none but are not any closer to SSAs.

Still could be some kind of SSA but nothing plain about it.

Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I think too highly of Mota?
Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe? He seems fairly closely related to Out-of-Africa populations but not specifically to Basal Eurasian-rich ones far as I can tell.
Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Motas basal position is just a basal position not a population with known genetic history of mixing with ancient Eurasians. Mota simply belongs on a branch from a branch with the common ancestor of second wave OOAers and East Africans, to put things simply.

Why doesn't anyone point to the fact that Iranian Neolithic populations are closer to Africans than any other ancient Eurasians? Is it the E lineages in Natufians that have everyone obsessing over them?

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Y hg E, previous reports of negroid morphology, theories connecting them to the spread of Afroasiatic languages, being right next door to Africa. Really quite surprising that no affinity to SSAs could be detected.

Rumour has it Maghrebi aDNA is in the works, North African samples may clear up a lot of things (or not).

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Laz say BE has 'so-called SSA' levels of Neanderthal genomics?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Yes. The Zagros got half again as much
BE than Natufians. Natufian's popular
'cos who ever heard of Hotu?

Can you expand on "2nd wave OOAers".
What time range? North or south exit?
Anything else I too slow to think of?

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Yes they figure little to no Neanderthal admixture (0-60% of main clade Eurasian levels). But it's not like anyone who moved north of the Sahara or across the Red Sea would necessarily have to interbreed with Neanderthals.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

So how do Maghreb, Mashreq,
north Sahara, and lower Nile
rank in the Neanderthal
level world comp 2 SSA?

Is BE Neanderthal level
more indicative of
• south of Sahara
• Sahara
• north of Sahara

When did Hss and Hsn
get it on in the Zagros?
Before or after Laz'
BE cut off date?

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0047765#pone-0047765-t002

a bit old, there may be something more recent but I'll have to get back to you another day

Admixture time estimated about 50-60 000 years ago but this kind of test I wouldn't be sure earlier events aren't being obscured by more recent ones. Also this estimate is really for Europeans and Ust' Ishim man, could conceivably be different for other people.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Thx!

"It can be seen that North African populations are placed in the direction of the Neandertal. In the population analysis, the North African groups tend to be placed in an intermediate position between Sub-Saharan and non-African human populations."
[

I dunno.

BE is African or an Arabian Plater a step or so from African.
BE or immediate ancestor used the Gate or the Sinai or both.

BE has 'SSA' level Neanderthal.
NA has higher than 'SSA' Neanderthal.
NA's not likely BE's African source.

Critically together we can ID BE
or show if contradicting leads
preclude BE's actual existance.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

I dunno.

If that's what you are looking for then here it is :
 -

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by capra:
No we don't. Natufians for instance have a ton of Basal versus WHG with none but are not any closer to SSAs.

Still could be some kind of SSA but nothing plain about it.

Sara Tishkoff states:

quote:
African and Middle Eastern populations shared the greatest number of alleles absent from all other populations (fig. S6B).

-

-

—Sarah A. Tishkoff,
The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
Yeah, Motas basal position is just a basal position not a population with known genetic history of mixing with ancient Eurasians. Mota simply belongs on a branch from a branch with the common ancestor of second wave OOAers and East Africans, to put things simply.

Why doesn't anyone point to the fact that Iranian Neolithic populations are closer to Africans than any other ancient Eurasians? Is it the E lineages in Natufians that have everyone obsessing over them?

[Confused]

I have pointed this out on numerous occasions. And the lioness called my crazy for it.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Y hg E, previous reports of negroid morphology, theories connecting them to the spread of Afroasiatic languages, being right next door to Africa. Really quite surprising that no affinity to SSAs could be detected.

Rumour has it Maghrebi aDNA is in the works, North African samples may clear up a lot of things (or not).

1) But they did recognize the East African ancestry (relation).

2) East Africa is segregated from SSA, in some studies. (it's really confusing).

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
quote:

I dunno.

-

[Big Grin]

lol Well since we're doing this here, might this explain what's been bogglin my mind for months.... Why the sandawe have the EARLIEST instance of ME admixture. That **** made no sense for the longest under the consenting models.
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
quote:
quote:
Bottom line the game being played here is mislabeling African origins of many ancient DNA lineages as "Eurasian admixture".... And no Africas genetic diversity is not fully documented. So to have folks talking about "Afrocentric" distortion but not pointing out the obvious Eurasiacentric distortion is simply hypocritical....

I read a study that originally argued west African mixture, but it turned out it was an error.
That is the point. They are over generalizing and using flawed methods to try and estimate mixture but over emphasizing "backflow" without documenting the corresponding outflow from Africa to Eurasia. According to these studies you would think Africans just sat in their "sub saharan" ghettoes for thousands of years and didn't move anywhere and hence are only diverse because of Eurasian admixture. As if Eurasia was genetically isolated from Africa after OOA.

But hey, this seems obvious to me.

I don't think that geneticists are suggesting Africa (especially SSA) needs Eurasia to be diverse. We also know from the Tichitt tradition that Africans in the Sahara did move south. I don't want to assume everyone in academia has a nefarious interest but I don't agree SSA/Sahara is a good genetic dichotomy or a ecological one. I do think it may be fair to at least consider the Sahara as an ecological construct with localized adaptations. But the Sahara as an ecological construct wouldn't validate everything below it to be a singular unit.
I am looking at how it continues to be used and yes it is used in a way consistent with creating fake "islands' of Africans that don't correspond to historic population movements. As you yourself said, the Sahara is not a fixed entity. It fluctuates over time and therefore would drive population movement over time. This is one primary reason why using SSA is no more valid as a way of primarily classifying Africans as "forest belt" or "Savannah Belt". Environment change drives population movement and we know Africans have always been highly nomadic.

And ultimately like I have said before, the main reason they distinguish Sub Saharan Africans from North Africans is because they assume the North Africans are mostly mixed with Non Africans starting with back migrations from Eurasia in the ancient past. So really that isn't much different than the old racist models of North Africa being hamitic because the underlying assumption is the same: they aren't "pure" Africans. Which of course means "SSA" becomes the proxy for a "pure" African population.

Posts: 8891 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Yes they figure little to no Neanderthal admixture (0-60% of main clade Eurasian levels). But it's not like anyone who moved north of the Sahara or across the Red Sea would necessarily have to interbreed with Neanderthals.

Great point and explanation to why some African populations have some, little to no "Neanderthal" ancestry.

Also,

I find extreem weird Neanderthal remains have been found at The Strait of Gibraltar and Israel (Levant). Yet, the claim by some is that the Neanderthal never entered Africa.

quote:
Spanish investigators believe they may have found proof that neanderthal man reached Europe from Africa not just via the Middle East but by sailing, swimming or floating across the Strait of Gibraltar.

[…]

Cabililla de Benzú, in the Spanish north African enclave of Ceuta, are remarkably similar to those found in southern Spain, investigators said. Stone tools at the site correspond to the middle palaeolithic period, when neanderthal man emerged, and resemble those found across Spain.

"This could break the paradigm of most investigators, who have refused to believe in any contact in the palaeolithic era between southern Europe and northern Africa," investigator José Ramos explained in the University of Cadiz's research journal.

[…]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/jan/16/spain.science
Mansamusa
Member # 22474

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansamusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
quote:
quote:

I dunno.

-

[Big Grin]

lol Well since we're doing this here, might this explain what's been bogglin my mind for months.... Why the sandawe have the EARLIEST instance of ME admixture. That **** made no sense for the longest under the consenting models.
So what does this mean? The prehistoric nd pre-farming hunter-gatherer populations in the Sahara and Nile Valley who eventually morphed into Cattle herding nomads in North Africa and Natufian farmers in the Middle East were related to the ancestors of the Hadza, who up to this day are hunter-gatherers?
Posts: 288 | From: Asia | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Beyoku

-

...but I disagree with your reading of it.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I dont know what it means YET. What i DO know is the genetic component at K=17 that peaks in the Hadza..................Is the same one that is in Horners, North Africans, Near/Middle Easterners et al.

IF thats what folks are looking for THEN "POW", THERE IT IS. Its pretty consistent and its an shared component that is duplicated over multiple articles over multiple years.

I dont have to much to say on it at this point. At this point I am like A-Wax, i just want to sit back and see other folks put in work.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Watch your inbox on FB tonight.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Tishkoff had positioned the Hadza as the greatest outlier in relation to other Africans

Posts: 42925 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/amunratheultimate2/CushiticAACinTishkoffgeneticdistance_zps89d8fca2.png~original
Tishkoff had positioned the Hadza as the greatest outlier in relation to other Africans

Do you know why?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/07/genetic-code-tells-hunter-gatherer-tales

A group of variants unique to the Hadza spanned the DNA encoding for a cannabinoid receptor, a cell surface protein that responds to tetrahydrocannabinol—the active ingredient in marijuana—which is intriguing because Tishkoff's team observed that the Hadza smoke large amounts of marijuana. The three populations also had distinctive variants around genes that produced blood compounds involved in injury repair.

What has most intrigued some researchers, however, is that the study found genetic evidence that all three groups had intermingled sexually with an unknown, older species—possibly an African equivalent of the Neanderthal species in Europe. Not only did the Hadza, Sandawe, and Pygmy people all have significant lengths of DNA from this unknown species, but the union happened at about the same time as European humans were hobnobbing with Neanderthals—tens of thousands of years ago.

Posts: 42925 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^

quote:
the Hadza and Sandawe from Tanzania and the Pygmies from Cameroon, some of the most ancient lineages in the world.

quote:

Within Africa, the most private alleles were in southern Africa, reflecting those in southern African Khoesan (SAK) San and !Xun/Khwe populations (fig. S6C) (12).

—Sarah A. Tishkoff,
The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Lol TBH, I said my peice already. Top of the page about Mota, most recent. I'm not going to put nothing together publicly on here. I tried before and got mauled... Still taking jabs about it till today. Y'all good.

... Brandon, pay attention.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Thx

but useless to me w/o source cited.

quote:
quote:

I dunno.

-

[Big Grin]

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Well I'll be damned at what the cat dragged in!

Great

been hoping to see something on
African non-Hss in African Hss.
Never thought it'd be so old.
Any followup?

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

A group of variants unique to the Hadza spanned the DNA encoding for a cannabinoid receptor, a cell surface protein that responds to tetrahydrocannabinol—the active ingredient in marijuana—which is intriguing because Tishkoff's team observed that the Hadza smoke large amounts of marijuana. The three populations also had distinctive variants around genes that produced blood compounds involved in injury repair.

What has most intrigued some researchers, however, is that the study found genetic evidence that all three groups had intermingled sexually with an unknown, older species—possibly an African equivalent of the Neanderthal species in Europe. Not only did the Hadza, Sandawe, and Pygmy people all have significant lengths of DNA from this unknown species, but the union happened at about the same time as European humans were hobnobbing with Neanderthals—tens of thousands of years ago.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't addressing you in particular. But I would have thought you've picked up that a large chunk of the pan-Africanists in this community do in fact want Africans, or at least SSA, to be one big monophyletic clade. Isn't that the mindset you've been criticizing for years?

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
I'm confused. You said "I'm not the only one with this view". Why say that right after saying something that isn't disputed anywhere? Lol. Wasn't this already apparent from what you posted earlier? Your Tishkoff tree in that post doesn't depict SSA ancestry as forming a clade relative to other humans either.

-

^This pattern of differentiation is no different from the Tishkoff tree. It's just more stylized and upside down.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
To be honest, my belief is that "sub-Saharan African" itself is a paraphyletic category. It seems to mean basically any modern Homo sapiens who isn't OOA or pre-OOA. And I'm not the only one with this view:

Human population history revealed by a supertree approach
quote:
The resulting supertree topology includes the most basal position of S African Khoisan followed by C African Pygmies, and the paraphyletic section of all other sub-Saharan peoples.
In that respect it's similar to the traditional understanding of "reptile" which excludes birds, even though we now know birds represent a branch of the theropod dinosaurs.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Paraphyletic.svg/300px-Paraphyletic.svg.png

For example, if you compare the genetics of southern African Khoisan peoples with those of other sub-Saharans and then OOA, you might find that most sub-Saharan populations actually appear closer to OOA than they do to these Khoisan populations. See K = 2 on this chart, wherein most SSA groups have predominantly "red" components like those of the French instead of "blue" like the Khoisan peoples.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QfOlhMaKVUc/UA_N_qZbFxI/AAAAAAAAFGE/sb6UiX29r_c/s1600/admixture.jpg

A category like "sub-Saharan African" might have utility if you need to single out those Africans who aren't descended from the pre-OOA branch, much as we conventionally use "dinosaur" as shorthand for the non-avian ones. But they still aren't a monophyletic grouping, so anyone trying to force genetics into an exclusive "pan-African" scheme is going to make a fool out of themselves in any case.

Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They even smoke on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7MNNrlmsI

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wasn't addressing you in particular. But I would have thought you've picked up that a large chunk of the pan-Africanists in this community do in fact want Africans, or at least SSA, to be one big monophyletic clade. Isn't that the mindset you've been criticizing for years?

quote:
I'm confused. You said "I'm not the only one with this view". Why say that right after saying something that isn't disputed anywhere? Lol. Wasn't this already apparent from what you posted earlier? Your Tishkoff tree in that post doesn't depict SSA ancestry as forming a clade relative to other humans either.

-

^This pattern of differentiation is no different from the Tishkoff tree. It's just more stylized and upside down.

quote:
To be honest, my belief is that "sub-Saharan African" itself is a paraphyletic category. It seems to mean basically any modern Homo sapiens who isn't OOA or pre-OOA. And I'm not the only one with this view:

quote:
The resulting supertree topology includes the most basal position of S African Khoisan followed by C African Pygmies, and the paraphyletic section of all other sub-Saharan peoples.
In that respect it's similar to the traditional understanding of "reptile" which excludes birds, even though we now know birds represent a branch of the theropod dinosaurs.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Paraphyletic.svg/300px-Paraphyletic.svg.png

For example, if you compare the genetics of southern African Khoisan peoples with those of other sub-Saharans and then OOA, you might find that most sub-Saharan populations actually appear closer to OOA than they do to these Khoisan populations. See K = 2 on this chart, wherein most SSA groups have predominantly "red" components like those of the French instead of "blue" like the Khoisan peoples.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QfOlhMaKVUc/UA_N_qZbFxI/AAAAAAAAFGE/sb6UiX29r_c/s1600/admixture.jpg

A category like "sub-Saharan African" might have utility if you need to single out those Africans who aren't descended from the pre-OOA branch, much as we conventionally use "dinosaur" as shorthand for the non-avian ones. But they still aren't a monophyletic grouping, so anyone trying to force genetics into an exclusive "pan-African" scheme is going to make a fool out of themselves in any case.

I think you are over generalizing. Sub Saharan is not "needed" to define African diversity because Sub Saharan Africa is not all of Africa. OOA doesn't define African DNA diversity. That is backwards thinking. Eurasians and other folks descended from OOA are defined by African diversity not the other way around. Africans were in place before, during and after OOA and it is only Europeans who have flipped the script to make OOA a marker of African diversity instead of Eurasian diversity. Again this goes back to not even wanting to label OOA DNA as "African". But they got folks clowning themselves on this forum trying to use OOA as a way to define and categorize African identity, in effect turning the parent into the child or even a sibling even. This is pathetic.

Not to mention where were the major human population centers in Africa before, during and after OOA? And what physical features did those OOA populations carry? People move around and this is how OOA came about because humans have always been moving. This is how the ancestors of the Khoi got to South Africa. And before they migrated what were they? SSA? Come on this is idiotic.

Posts: 8891 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:

quote:

-

quote:

quote:

Take another look at your Tishkoff tree. "SSA" is not one of those arbitrary paraphyletic groupings. SSA groups are diverse, but the nodes from which they separate from the human tree are all relatively close. This is followed by a huge interval (that represents shared drift between North Africans and Eurasians) and the subsequent node that represents the splitting point of the North African ancestry we've been discussing. The SSA grouping may be paraphyletic, but there is nothing arbitrary about it. If you do away with the name you're still left with the aforementioned relationships. So I'm interested in how you plan to name this divide and how you intend to talk about it, if not with the terminology I've been using.

I get the feeling that people are simply protesting those relationships, and that they're using this terminology as a pretext. Why else do all these objections tapdance around it?

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Well, I didn't say SSA as a term was completely useless. Certainly not going to police other people's use of the term if they want to.
Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
If European scholarship really viewed North Africans as a close population to Europeans in an ancestral sense, then Basal Eurasian and EEF would start in Africa with relationships to North African populations. Regardless of any later mixing this would be the root of the "basal" Eurasian DNA. But it is not. Hence they are spending more time splitting off North Africa from Sub Saharan Africa which makes 0 sense even temporally. Case in point, who were the ancestors of the so-called Bantus who recently expanded into South Africa and where did they come from? Hint: it wasn't necessarily "sub saharan" Africa.

Likewise, where were the ancestors of the Bantus and the San bushmen when OOA took place? They were all in the same general area. Likewise there are two potential areas of exit, one northern and the other Southern. The key to all of this is to know what DNA was carried by the OOA populations and especially the OOA wave that was successful and led to global settlement. There were multiple waves of OOA events and there were waves of migration after OOA as well. And at the time of OOA 100,000 years ago or so, most ancestral African populations for modern humans were all relatively close together and therefore separating North Africans and "Sub Saharans" at that point in time is nonsense.

In fact, the oldest human populations in North Africa from upwards of 100,000 years ago are not even related to current North African populations(and certainly existed long before "modern" U and M lineages). Similarly the populations in Blombos Cave upwards of 80,000 years ago I assume are not related to the populations in South Africa today. This is the problem with trying to extrapolate with limited data. You need more ancient DNA to get the best picture of the evolution of human DNA. And on top of all of that some folks are saying the original OOA populations were closer to Southern Africa. And in reality most of the time these folks are GUESSING when it comes to where certain key evolutionary events occurred in the human genome, especially going back more than 50,000 years.

Ultimately the split between North Africa and so-called Sub Saharan Africa is because modern North Africans are supposedly the recipient of back migration of Eurasian genes in the form of M1 and U6. Those two lineages are not the original OOA lineages carried from Africa into Eurasia. No scholar even claims this. So we need to be careful in distinguishing between "ancestral" North African DNA and its relationship to later Eurasians and RECENT North African DNA which is supposedly based on Eurasian back migration. Those are two different things completely and sometimes they get used interchangeably when they are not the same. Of course, this assumes a northern exit for OOA. But there is still the situation of the Southern route for OOA and it is possible that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

quote:

To see which route the ancestors of all humans outside of Africa might have taken, the researchers sequenced the genomes of 225 people from northeast Africa — 100 Egyptians and 125 Ethiopians. They then compared this data with DNA from East Asians, South Asians and Europeans — specifically, Han Chinese, Gujarati Indians and Tuscan Italians, respectively. They also compared this data with DNA from modern West Africans from south of the Sahara, which should generally reflect the ancient sub-Saharan gene pool.

The scientists noted that both modern Egyptians and Ethiopians have recently experienced migrations from outside Africa, and the interbreeding that resulted might increase their genetic similarity with those migratory people. To account for this, the researchers removed any genetic sequences that might have come from these recent migrations.

If the southern route was the main path out of Africa, Ethiopians should be more genetically similar to Eurasians. Instead, the researchers found that Egyptians were more genetically similar to Eurasians, suggesting the northern route was the predominant way out of Africa. The researchers estimated that Eurasians genetically diverged from Egyptians 55,000 years ago, Ethiopians 65,000 years ago and West Africans 75,000 years ago.

"The most exciting consequence of our results is to have unveiled an episode of the evolutionary past of all Eurasians, therefore potentially improving the knowledge of billions of people on their deep biological history,"study lead author Luca Pagani, a molecular anthropologist at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and the University of Cambridge in England, told Live Science.

The northern route as the preferred way from Africa is supported by the fact that all non-Africans possess DNA from Neanderthals, who were present along the northern route in the eastern Mediterranean at the time. This new finding is also in agreement with the recent discovery of modern human fossils in Israel close to the northern route that date to about 55,000 years ago.

Although there is genetic and archaeological evidence that some people did take the southern route out of Africa, perhaps those people got no farther than Arabia, or left no genetic trace in modern Eurasians. In the future, scientists could investigate whether anyone who took the southern route left any genetic traces in modern Oceanians, Pagani said.

http://www.livescience.com/51005-humans-migrated-out-of-egypt.html

Note the following: There was no "Egypt" 50,000 years go. The populations along the Nile in what is now Egypt are assumed to be related to populations in what is now "Ethiopia". It implies the ancestral population of both is somewhere between what is now Ethiopia and now Egypt or possibly points south. And another way we don't know if modern West African DNA is the result of ancient 50,000 year old West African populations (Sangoans) or more recently evolved from populations in East Africa. And technically populations in what is now Ethiopia are also Sub Saharan Africans.

Also keep in mind the 50KYA date for Eurasians splitting off from ancient Egyptians seems to correlate to the age of lineages M and N (and R). So again we are back to the question of where these lineages arose. Note that most scholars claim that Europe wasn't settled until 45KYA, which is after lineages M,N and R.

So if that is true, then where on earth did these "other Eurasians" come from that are the basis of these lineages if humans left Africa 50-55KYA ago?

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
A reminder:

quote:
Khoisan hunter-gatherers have been the largest population throughout most of modern-human demographic history

The Khoisan people from Southern Africa maintained ancient lifestyles as hunter-gatherers or pastoralists up to modern times, though little else is known about their early history. Here we infer early demographic histories of modern humans using whole-genome sequences of five Khoisan individuals and one Bantu speaker. Comparison with a 420 K SNP data set from worldwide individuals demonstrates that two of the Khoisan genomes from the Ju/’hoansi population contain exclusive Khoisan ancestry. Coalescent analysis shows that the Khoisan and their ancestors have been the largest populations since their split with the non-Khoisan population ~100–150 kyr ago. In contrast, the ancestors of the non-Khoisan groups, including Bantu-speakers and non-Africans, experienced population declines after the split and lost more than half of their genetic diversity. Paleoclimate records indicate that the precipitation in southern Africa increased ~80–100 kyr ago while west-central Africa became drier. We hypothesize that these climate differences might be related to the divergent-ancient histories among human populations.

[...]

Yet Khoisan populations have maintained the greatest nuclear-genetic diversity among all human populations3, 4, 5 and the most ancient Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA lineages6, 7, implying relatively larger effective population sizes for ancestral Khoisan populations.

--Hie Lim Kim, Aakrosh Ratan, George H. Perry, Alvaro Montenegro, Webb Miller & Stephan C. Schuster

Received 25 Apr 2014 | Accepted 29 Oct 2014 | Published 4 Dec 2014

DOI: 10.1038/ncomms6692

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141204/ncomms6692/full/ncomms6692.html

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
A reminder:

quote:
Khoisan hunter-gatherers have been the largest population throughout most of modern-human demographic history

The Khoisan people from Southern Africa maintained ancient lifestyles as hunter-gatherers or pastoralists up to modern times, though little else is known about their early history. Here we infer early demographic histories of modern humans using whole-genome sequences of five Khoisan individuals and one Bantu speaker. Comparison with a 420 K SNP data set from worldwide individuals demonstrates that two of the Khoisan genomes from the Ju/’hoansi population contain exclusive Khoisan ancestry. Coalescent analysis shows that the Khoisan and their ancestors have been the largest populations since their split with the non-Khoisan population ~100–150 kyr ago. In contrast, the ancestors of the non-Khoisan groups, including Bantu-speakers and non-Africans, experienced population declines after the split and lost more than half of their genetic diversity. Paleoclimate records indicate that the precipitation in southern Africa increased ~80–100 kyr ago while west-central Africa became drier. We hypothesize that these climate differences might be related to the divergent-ancient histories among human populations.

[...]

Yet Khoisan populations have maintained the greatest nuclear-genetic diversity among all human populations3, 4, 5 and the most ancient Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA lineages6, 7, implying relatively larger effective population sizes for ancestral Khoisan populations.

--Hie Lim Kim, Aakrosh Ratan, George H. Perry, Alvaro Montenegro, Webb Miller & Stephan C. Schuster

Received 25 Apr 2014 | Accepted 29 Oct 2014 | Published 4 Dec 2014

DOI: 10.1038/ncomms6692

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141204/ncomms6692/full/ncomms6692.html

It's not so much that the early Khoisan history is unknown, most modern researchers are unfamiliar with their history. Today people believe that AMH expanded from East Africa this is false.

-

It is clear that the earliest cultures of AMHs began in Southern Africa, NOT East Africa. For example, after 65,000 BC, the Late Howiesons Poort culture spread from South Africa to India. By 44,000, the Aurignacian culture began in South Africa and expanded to Iberia and across Europe. Next the Khoisan took the Solutrean culture from South Africa, to Iberia and Europe, and the Americas after 25,000 BC.

Genetics research can never supersede archaeological research.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bottom line the game being played here is mislabeling African origins of many ancient DNA lineages as "Eurasian admixture".... And no Africas genetic diversity is not fully documented. So to have folks talking about "Afrocentric" distortion but not pointing out the obvious Eurasiacentric distortion is simply hypocritical....

I read a study that originally argued west African mixture, but it turned out it was an error.
That is the point. They are over generalizing and using flawed methods to try and estimate mixture but over emphasizing "backflow" without documenting the corresponding outflow from Africa to Eurasia. According to these studies you would think Africans just sat in their "sub saharan" ghettoes for thousands of years and didn't move anywhere and hence are only diverse because of Eurasian admixture. As if Eurasia was genetically isolated from Africa after OOA.

So true.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So true.
Its all Clydes' fault. And because of him we should accept Africa never did anything on its own without mixture from outside.

[Roll Eyes]

Or even better because of him we should accept that Africans can't be trusted to study their own history because of course they are so 'ethnocentric'.....

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I still prefer to see ancient Egypt as fundamentally a Black African civilization. And by that I mean an indigenous African civilization built by predominantly dark-skinned indigenous Africans. If you were to ask me about their biological affinities today, I would say they were predominantly an indigenous Eastern Saharan population with some Sudanic and Mediterranean/Middle Eastern admixture, to varying degrees depending on time and region. I imagine the majority of them had dark mahogany-brown skin that graded to even darker shades towards the south of Upper Egypt, and maybe lighter shades (i.e. caramel) in the northern Delta.

I admit that, on a purely emotionally level, I would prefer them to have had stronger "sub-Saharan" affinities, but I cannot dispute the evidence for a major pre-OOA affinity instead (as the whole concept of pre-OOA/Basal Eurasian is, frankly, a logical consequence of the OOA model of AMH origins). So I have no choice but to acknowledge that reality.

Unfortunately it seems a large chunk of this community can't even be bothered to do that. And this was probably always the case, going back to when ausar was still active (and lying about his background to win arguments about the topic). Time and time again in the last few years, I have seen posters whom I used to look up to let me down by refusing to recognize certain realities that contradicted their preferred narratives. Now I can understand having a bias to begin with, since we all have them. I myself got involved in this topic to begin with because I wanted to rebut to the white supremacist narrative that Africans are inherently incapable of civilization and that all great civilizations in Africa required "Caucasoid" back-migrants. But we should not let our emotional biases interfere with our evaluation of reality. And the fact that so many people in this community allow that to happen depresses me.

We should be better than the Eurocentric white supremacists who want to de-Africanize ancient Egypt. We should reach for the moral and intellectual higher ground compared to those racist asswipes. But so many people here haven't climbed to that higher ground at all, not even the ones I used to admire.

Is that it, then?! This is what you had to get off your chest?? You had me worried for a second there Tyranno. I thought you were about to pull off another Ausar and come clean about you lying about your identity. Like maybe you aren't really a white guy but a black guy from Ghana! LOL [Big Grin]

Anyway, in regards to what you stated I can't think of anything else to say that hasn't already been posted. The ancient Egyptians were still indigenous Africans which is not synonymous with "sub-Saharans" and as far as appearance including skin color they would still be regarded as "black" by today's racial polemics and their culture is still fundamentally African and show far more affinities to Sub-Saharan cultures than to their Eurasian neighbors so I don't see what the issue is. Of course there are racist Euronuts who still attempt to white-wash or 'Caucasoidize" the Egyptians but I fail to see how the Egyptians being North African or even genetically pre-OOA somehow takes away from their African identity. Answer: it does not!

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
real expert
Banned
Member # 22352

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for real expert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, I called the AE Black African in my OP because I wanted to use a recognizable term that conveyed not only their indigenous African heritage but also their dark skin. I understand why some posters like Swenet have chosen to abscond it entirely and respect their decision, and I additionally agree with Punos_Rey that the goalposts for blackness tend to get shifted in these arguments. On the other hand, I can tell that the objection people like Casshole have to characterizing AEs as black goes beyond mere semantic implications since they deny AE were darker-skinned to begin with. In the end, whatever language you want to use, I see AEs as (predominantly) dark-skinned native Africans.

Your opinion is meaningless. The term "dark- skinned" is also useless since there are tons of dark skinned people that are not racially black to begin with. The other useless term black Americans love to crawl behind is "people of color". LOL

Besides the Libyans in the ancient Egyptian paintings who you compare to so called light-skinned Afro-Americans aka mulattoes look rather like sun- tanned Euros than like real muluattoes. Most black Americans have still West African negroid features regardless how admixed they are. Therefore all the cherry picked light-skinnend Afro-Americans on TV or movies that represent blacks get their noses fixed, narrowed to look less negroid. Even Mariah Carey, a quarter black had negroid features before she got plastic surgeries. However only for superficial people with untrained eyes she can pass for white.

Facial features, skull, hair texture and body shape, bones say more sbout race than skin color alone. Fact is ancient Egyptians were predominantly not negroid regardless what ignorant black Americans call them. Besides the majority of Afro- Americans no matter whether they are pitch black or light-skinned look nothing like ancient Egyptians but still can pass for West Africans. It's a joke that black Americans think they can label anyone that is not white as a ghost or has a sun tan, as black and as theirs. The self-hatred, hypocrisy and fake pride of black Americans are mind-boggling.

Posts: 49 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ You do realize that the phrase "people of color" was invented by WHITES in America not blacks.

Also, what is meant by "racially black"? 'Black' is a description of very dark or heavily melanated skin; therefore you have black people from the Pacific (Melanesia) to India but obviously these people are not African. Meanwhile you have the Egyptians who are African and have that skin tone as well and especially Nubians.

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ You do realize that the phrase "people of color" was invented by WHITES in America not blacks.

Also, what is meant by "racially black"? 'Black' is a description of very dark or heavily melanated skin; therefore you have black people from the Pacific (Melanesia) to India but obviously these people are not African. Meanwhile you have the Egyptians who are African and have that skin tone as well and especially Nubians.

The more interesting question is, WTF is it that German troll thinks he'll accomplish by necromancing threads from two years back simply to antagonize the posters here? He should move on with his life.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by real expert:
quote:
BTW, I called the AE Black African in my OP because I wanted to use a recognizable term that conveyed not only their indigenous African heritage but also their dark skin. I understand why some posters like Swenet have chosen to abscond it entirely and respect their decision, and I additionally agree with Punos_Rey that the goalposts for blackness tend to get shifted in these arguments. On the other hand, I can tell that the objection people like Casshole have to characterizing AEs as black goes beyond mere semantic implications since they deny AE were darker-skinned to begin with. In the end, whatever language you want to use, I see AEs as (predominantly) dark-skinned native Africans.

Your opinion is meaningless. The term "dark- skinned" is also useless since there are tons of dark skinned people that are not racially black to begin with. The other useless term black Americans love to crawl behind is "people of color". LOL

Besides the Libyans in the ancient Egyptian paintings who you compare to so called light-skinned Afro-Americans aka mulattoes look rather like sun- tanned Euros than like real muluattoes. Most black Americans have still West African negroid features regardless how admixed they are. Therefore all the cherry picked light-skinnend Afro-Americans on TV or movies that represent blacks get their noses fixed, narrowed to look less negroid. Even Mariah Carey, a quarter black had negroid features before she got plastic surgeries. However only for superficial people with untrained eyes she can pass for white.

Facial features, skull, hair texture and body shape, bones say more sbout race than skin color alone. Fact is ancient Egyptians were predominantly not negroid regardless what ignorant black Americans call them. Besides the majority of Afro- Americans no matter whether they are pitch black or light-skinned look nothing like ancient Egyptians but still can pass for West Africans. It's a joke that black Americans think they can label anyone that is not white as a ghost or has a sun tan, as black and as theirs. The self-hatred, hypocrisy and fake pride of black Americans are mind-boggling.

[Confused] [Roll Eyes] Ok.

How come 90% of ancient Egyptian art all over Egypt looks like the following?

-

-

All the way back to the West African Sahara-Sahel region:

-

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com