EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Sub-Saharan origin of Almoravids confirmed (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sub-Saharan origin of Almoravids confirmed
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markellion:
Europeans must have had a very hard time translating Arabic because they remained ignorant about the geography of Africa

Anyway this is interesting read pages 25-35 "Ethiopia's alleged control of the Nile" by Richard Pankhurst

Edit: To the point there is unknown lands and all the Prester John stuff.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LcsJosc239YC&lpg=PA35&pg=PA35#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
The myth that the Nile had, or could, be redirected by the misnamed Prester John....

What Europeans remained ignorant? The Periplus of the Erythrean Sea was written by Europeans. And the later travels of European colonists were primarily guided by the tales and stories of fabulous wealth and trade to be found in Africa. Hence, I don't see the ignorance.

They may LIE about what they know but that is different from ignorance.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"The Negroland of the Arabs examined and explained" 1841

http://books.google.com/books?id=380NAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
"From Muli (says Ibn Batutah) the river descends to Yufi (Nufi), one of the greatest kingdoms of Negroland, but to which white men cannot penetrate; and thence it flows to Nubia." It would appear, from this, that the superiority now enjoyed by the people of Nufi in arts and industry, was already acknowledged in the fourteenth century. It is manifest also that the system of the native geographers which converts the Chad da into a continuation of the Kowara, by which the waters of this great river are carried across Bornii to the Nile of Egypt, is of some antiquity. Ibn Batutah believed that the great river below Muli flowed some distance to the south or south-east before it turned eastwards to Nubia. In speaking of Kulwa (Kilwa, or Quiloa), on the eastern coast of Africa, he uses these words:—" A merchant there told me, that the town of Sofalah is half a month's journey from Kulwa, and one month from Yufi in the country of the Limiyin, and that gold is brought from Yufi to Sofalah."" The boldness here evinced in bringing together and joining in commerce countries far asunder, is constantly exhibited in the geographical speculations of an early or ill-informed age. Distances are then enlarged as expediency requires; hypothesis leaps over the vacant spaces, and forcibly stretches the known portions in the opposite sides of a continent till they meet in the centre. Illustrations of this truth may be found in all ages. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, Abyssinia, Congo, and Monomotapa were all supposed to meet together. One of the Jesuits resident in Abyssinia asserts, that salt was carried from that country to Tomboktu.1" The reasoning which led to this statement was, in its nature, exactly the same as that from which the Arabs inferred an intercourse between Sofalah and Yufi. It is not surprising, therefore, that Ibn Batutah, who had far less accurate means of ascertaining the true positions of the places visited by him than the Catholic missionaries, should believe that the remote interior, whence gold was brought to Sofalah, was occupied by the same nation who filled the interior viewed in the opposite direction from Mali. Erroneous as this kind of inference may be, it yet rests on ideas of direction so manifest and unambiguous as to be of material service in explaining an author's meaning. It is plain, then, that Ibn Batutah thought Yufi to lie between Mali and Sofalah, and that the Great River from Muli to Yufi flowed towards Sofalah, but beyond Yufi turned eastwards to Nubia.
On page 94 we see this footnote

quote:
152 In like manner the supposed Christian King named Ogane', of whom the early Portuguese navigators received intelligence at Benin, was at once assumed to be the King of Abyssinia. The fable of an intercourse between Abyssinia and Western Africa has been gravely repeated by a recent writer (M'Queen's Survey of Africa, p. 5). Fernandez de Enciso (Suma de Geografia, 1518) says, that in the Bight of Benin are the Blacks who trade with Libya and Meroe. Lalande (Memoires de Paris, 1795, p. 15) has collected with equal industry and credulity the stories of an overland commerce between the eastern and western coasts of Africa.

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning world trade one person even referred to the spice trade as a "massive conspiracy"

"Conceptualizing/re-conceptualizing Africa"

Jesse Benjamin

http://books.google.com/books?id=sd4gnqTZ8IUC&pg=PA39&dq=#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:

…The possibility that these spices reached Southern Arabia for transshipment north via India and/or neighboring regions of the subcontinent, seems intuitive but is in fact cast in doubt by its near total absence in contemporaneous literature, ships-logs, travel descriptions, navigation guides, ect. Miller marshals considerable evidence that cinnamon was instead transported directly across the Indian Ocean to Madagascar and the South Eastern African coastline, eventually reaching the fabled entrepot Rhapta, before being further transshipped to the “Cinnamon Coast” just below where the Red Sea meets the Indian Ocean. The trade was carried on in sewn, double outrigger boats known as mtepe, which were found throughout the coast in ancient times can still be seen in a modern variant, the wooden single or double outrigger maingalawa (ingalawa is the singular of this Swahili word). Miller (1969), and Allen (1993) even further, discuss the nature of secrecy and obfuscation used in trade during these times, in order to protect the sources of commodities, and to keep others at bay in their quests for circumvention. This helps to explain, as Allen (1993) put it, the “massive conspiracy by which all the Mediterranean consumers of cinnamon and cassia were for centuries deceived as to the real source of these products”…

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Coming back to this for a moment, everyone knows I'm talking about competing in the world economy and everything right? I mean you completely make me look absurd

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Why don't we try dealing in facts instead of theories.

Show me in the histories of Europe or Asia where
craftsmen and "people with the knowledge" "have
an edge" over the people of the government and
their militants thus forcing them into reliance.

See thread "What was sold northward through the Sahara?"

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002580

No.

Because you have not:

1) Identified the scope of the "world" economy you are referring to
2) What was traded
3) Where it originated
4) Who controlled it and how
5) What the entry points and exit points were from Africa

Basically you are rambling and simply continuing to digress from the topic of the thread no?

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

Because you have not:

2) What was traded
3) Where it originated

Basically you are rambling and simply continuing to digress from the topic of the thread no?

1. The Muslim world but relations between the nations of the "Sudan" and the "veiled people" in particular. The Tuaregs often acted as henchmen who were dependent on the "Sudan" and played a big part in carrying on the Trans-Saharan trade

2. Cotton cloth, gold, ect. but a specific interest in iron production

3. The Trans-Saharan trade

4. The nations of the "Sudan" who were able to exert a great amount of influence in the Muslim world

5. Cities on the Sahara like Walata and other places that I've talked about

It would be through this manner than the nations of the "Sudan" could exert influence over Moorish Spain. This is why this is important

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
You are focusing exclusively on certain west african trade hubs as representing "Sudan". First off black Africans across ALL OF AFRICA controlled the trade in Africa and with outsiders for most of their history. It wasn't limited to West Africa but was also in the Sahara, North Africa East Africa and Southern Africa. African gold and other commodities were very important commodities in all of these locations and it wasn't just in West Africa and the agents were primarily blacks and not just "veiled" people.
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
You are focusing exclusively on certain west african trade

I don't understand why you said that. First you say my posts are not coherent and then you say this.
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
markellion, He does not know, he just babbles. the man has never produced a well researched bit of information since he has been on the board.

--------------------
The tree of liberty is watered by the blood of tyrants.

Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ This from the so-called 'college professor' who has never been able to fully cite a scholarly source in the decade that he's spent in this forum. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 26285 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
It is common knowledge that Europeans remained ignorant of the geography of Africa until like the times of king Leopold what were all the explorers and opening up the heart of darkness about? You ask questions about things I've already addressed after claiming that my posts are not coherent. I had already pointed the ignorance about the geography and about keeping people out of the interior

quote:
Markellion you post things that don't make a coherent point and are just a mish mash of various quotes that really don't support what you are saying.

For example
quote:
Yes that was the point I was emphasizing the ignorance of outsiders about the geography of Africa plus that of the long distance trade. Those Swahili were just Bantus like other Bantus. They were part of the "Sudan"

That whole post was about nothing but language and nothing about Africans stopping non muslims from accessing the interior. While it may be true, nothing YOU posted actually suggests or states that directly. That is what I mean by you posting one little tidbit of something and then running off like you said a whole lot....

No offense, but there are plenty of sources that are available to actually support a lot of what you are saying. The problem is that maybe you don't know how to find them?

Likewise, you cannot claim that ancient

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
They were not ignorant in the sense of not knowing about Africa and the interior as much as you think. There were maps and stories from the Islamic world and elsewhere detailing the people of Africa with maps and legends of great wealth. THAT is why Europeans wanted to explore the world, which is to take the great wealth. So no, they were not ignorant in that sense at all. The Periplus of the Erythrean sea was 1500 years old when Europeans set out on their voyages of "discovery". Much of the idea of Europeans "discovering" everything and being ignorant is simply a lie told to cover up the fact that Europeans were simply on a quest to steal as much as they could everywhere they went based on the knowledge of the wealth that existed in various legends, writings and other sources they had available to them. Of course they knew about the gold of Africa, that was no secret in Europe and was common knowledge.

Anyway, as for the Almoravids, the fact that they were from areas to the South makes it obvious they were black. However, there were blacks in Morocco who were indigenous to that region as well.

South Morocco:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Africa/Morocco/South/Ouarzazate/page1.htm

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Africa/Morocco/South/Ouarzazate/photo1157041.htm

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamonmedina/4253845731/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hub2phot/3213141726/in/set-72157612791679506/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hub2phot/3213160398/in/set-72157612791679506/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hub2phot/3212324835/in/set-72157612791679506/

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

How about the uneven trading

See thread "What was sold northward through the Sahara?"

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002580

No.

Because you have not:

2) What was traded
3) Where it originated

Its like everything I have said is for nothing. This is an extremely important topic and needs to be taken seriously. Why did you ask what was traded when all of this time I was talking about African industries
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Why don't we try dealing in facts instead of theories.

Show me in the histories of Europe or Asia where
craftsmen and "people with the knowledge" "have
an edge" over the people of the government and
their militants thus forcing them into reliance.

quote:

Likewise, imperialism is primarily defined by force of arms not by force of craftsmen. Name one empire that was not built on and maintained by military conquest and political domination.

There are none.

You completely twist what I say when I said imperialism involves economic, political, and military forces. Saying that economic domination is important doesn't automatically means I'm saying that other aspects of imperialism weren't essential. You treat the things I'm saying as not being connected together but all the information is meant to be seen as part of the whole picture.

Of many reasons why Great Brittan was able to continue the trade with the United States one big reason was British industries. This was not the only reason given but such industries do seem to give a nation an advantage over other nations. This is so much the case that after the Revolution the former colonies remained dependent on the mother country

“History of domestic and foreign commerce of the United States, Volumes 1-2”

http://books.google.com/books?id=NDUaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
Again, Great Britain was developing in industry more rapidly than was the continent of Europe, and hence was not only a better market for exported foods but was also able better to supply America with the manufactures which the people of the United States required. When the British monopoly of American trade was terminated by the Revolution and the staple articles of export from America were no longer "enumerated," but were free to go to any market in the world, there proved to be little demand for the articles outside of Great Britain, where they had previously been sold…..

…..One other reason that may be noted as in part accounting for the control of American trade by Great Britain after the Revolution was that many, if not most, of the staple articles of manufactures desired by American buyers were made better in Great Britain and sold more cheaply there than in continental Europe. As an illustration of this, Lord Sheffield cites the fact that "when France granted a sum of money to Congress for clothing the American troops, Mr. Laurens, Jr., was employed to provide it; but instead of laying out the money in France he went to Holland and bought English cloths and sent them to America."

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
And then, the way seem people take the things I say, someone will say the two things are not connected together. What does craftsmen have to do with such uneven trade relationships that I showed in this quote?

And yet I have actually posted information about African industries and then someone says that my posts are incoherent. And then say that I haven't addressed things that I have already addressed

Like the information I showed about outsiders being ignorant about the geography of Africa which was ignored. That is significant because it has to do with trade routes

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its been assumed that scholars like Ibn Khaludn were prejudiced but I think its more of a case of colonialists putting their own biases into their writings. However these writers had no problem with ancient Ghana and Mali dominating northward. It is so easy to ignore the power and influence of these empires but I really hope people look into this. I've been interested for a long time on the influence of empires like ancient Ghana and Mali in the world

Its interesting they were absorbed in without being changed

Page 66 Cooley the author comments on Ibn Khaldun

http://books.google.com/books?id=380NAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA66#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
It is stated in the foregoing extract that Ghanah merged in the empire of the Morabites, an event which may be assigned, with much probability, to the year of the Hijra 469,.... But the Morabites, bred up in a wild life, and under a loose patriarchal authority, cannot be supposed to have thought much of social or political organization. It is likely that they extended their dominions without propagating a form of government, and that the kingdom of Ghanah remained little changed by the loss of its independence.

I have a good friend from Benin City, who told me the Oni of Ile Ife controlled as far north as to the shore of Algeria. I have said it many times on these forms. I think these Europeans have played a TERRIBLE game with history, to the detriment of Africans and African history.
Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah how relevant is this study today? Because it seemed the Almoravids had very southern origins.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
Yeah how relevant is this study today? Because it seemed the Almoravids had very southern origins.

Abdallah Ibn Yasin (died 7 July 1059 C.E. in "Krifla" near Rommani, Morocco) was a theologian, founder, and first leader of the Almoravid movement and dynasty.

Ibn Yasin formed the Almoravid alliance from the tribes of the Lamtuna (Morocco), the Masufa and the Gudala, with himself as spiritual leader and Yahya ibn Umar taking the military command. In 1054 the Maghrawa-ruled Sijilmasa was conquered. Ibn Yasin introduced his orthodox rule - amongst other things wine and music were forbidden, non-Islamic taxes were abolished and one fifth of the spoils of war were allocated to the religious experts. This rigorous application of Islam soon provoked a revolt in 1055.
Ibn Yasin was a disciple of Waggag ibn Zallu al-Lamti and studied in his Ribat, "Dar al-Murabitin" which was located in the village of Aglu, (near present-day Tiznit).

The Sanhaja were at this stage only superficially Islamicised and still clung to many heathen practices, and so Ibn Yasin preached to them an orthodox Sunnism.

The Berbers of the Tamazgha in the early Middle Ages could be roughly classified into three major groups: the Zenata across the north, the Masmuda concentrated in central Morocco, and the Sanhaja, clustered in two areas: the western part of the Sahara and the hills of the eastern Maghreb.[12][13] The eastern Sanhaja included the Kutama Berbers, who had been the base of the Fatimid rise in the early 10th century, and the Zirid dynasty, who ruled Ifriqiya as vassals of the Fatimids after the latter moved to Egypt in 972. The western Sanhaja were divided into several tribes: the Gazzula and the Lamta in the Draa valley and the foothills of the Anti-Atlas range; further south, encamped in the western Sahara desert, were the Massufa, the Lamtuna and the Banu Warith; and most southerly of all, the Gudala (or Judala), in littoral Mauritania down to the borderlands of the Senegal River.

The western Sanhaja had been converted to Islam some time in the 9th century. They were subsequently united in the 10th century and, with the zeal of neophyte converts, launched several campaigns against the "Sudanese" (pagan peoples of sub-Saharan Africa)

Aoudaghost (also transliterated as Awadaghust)
is a former Berber town in Hodh El Gharbi, Mauritania. It was an important oasis town at the southern end of a trans-Saharan caravan route that is mentioned in a number of early Arabic manuscripts.

The only detailed description that we have for the town is given by al-Bakri in his Book of Routes and Realms which was completed in 1068. Al-Bakri made use of earlier sources and it is likely that his description of Aoudaghost comes from the writings of Muhammad b. Yusuf al-Warraq (904-973) whose own account has not survived

quote:

Then to Awdaghust which is a large town,populous and built on sandy ground, overlooked by a big mountain, completely barren and devoid of vegetation. ... there is one cathedral mosque and many smaller ones ... Around the town are gardens with date palms. Wheat is grown there by digging with hoes, and it is watered with buckets ... Excellent cucumbers grow there, and there are a few small fig trees and some vines, as well as plantations of henna which produce a large crop ... [there are] wells with sweet water. Cattle and sheep are so numerous... Honey ... is abundant, brought from the land of the Sudan. The people of Awdaghust enjoy extensive benefits and huge wealth. The market there is at all times full of people... Their transactions are in gold, and they have no silver. Most of the inhabitants ... are natives of Ifriqiya [Tunisia] ... but there are also a few people from other countries ... [They own] slaves so numerous that one person from among them might possess a thousand servants or more

Al-Bakri also describes the capture of the town by the Almoravids which had occurred just a few years before he wrote his account:

quote:

In the year 1054-5 'Abd Allah b. Yasin invaded the town of Awdaghust, a flourishing locality, and a large town containing markets, numerous palms and henna trees. ... This town used to be the residence of the King of the Sudan who was called Ghana before the Arabs entered (the city of) Ghana... This (former) city was inhabited by Zenata together with Arabs who were always at loggerheads with each other. ... The Almoravids violated its women and declared everything that they took there to be booty of the community. ... The Almoravids persecuted the people of Awdaghust only because they recognized the authority of the ruler of Ghana.

Posts: 42937 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:
I don't see what the big deal is. The Almoravids originated in the area around Senegal,

quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:
Nobody denies that the Amoravids were from points South.

Wrong and wrong.
The Almoravids were an Islamic fundamentalist military movement of the Western Sahara.The religio-political bases of the Almoravid movement originated in the missionary activity of Mālik scholars from Ifrīqiya comprising what is today Tunisia, Tripolitania (western Libya) and the Constantinois (eastern Algeria) — all part of what was previously included in the Africa Province of the Roman Empire
Their capital was in Marrakesh and in a 5 page thread the founder of the movement is not even mentioned.

The Mālikī school is one of the four major madhhab of Islamic jurisprudence within Sunni Islam. It was founded by Malik ibn Anas in the 8th century a native of Medina.
The Almoravids followed a branch of Malikite law called "Dar al-Murabitin" founded in Sus al-Aksa, modern day Morocco, by a scholar named Waggag Ibn Zallu.
He sent his student Abdallah ibn Yasin to preach Malikite Islam to the Sanhaja Berbers of the Sous and Adrar (present-day Mauritania).

Although the Almoravid empire extended to Senegal did not originate around Senegal

Awdaghust, in what is now in Mauritania was the town at the southern extension of the Almoravid empire near Senegal
Al-Bakri describes the capture of Awdaghust by the Almoravids which had occurred just a few years before he wrote his account:

quote:
In the year 1054-5 'Abd Allah b. Yasin invaded the town of Awdaghust, a flourishing locality, and a large town containing markets, numerous palms and henna trees. ... This town used to be the residence of the King of the Sudan who was called Ghana before the Arabs entered (the city of) Ghana... This (former) city was inhabited by Zenata together with Arabs who were always at loggerheads with each other. ... The Almoravids violated its women and declared everything that they took there to be booty of the community.... The Almoravids persecuted the people of Awdaghust only because they recognized the authority of the ruler of Ghana.
 -

https://books.google.com/books?id=YeKwW3vzQMUC&pg=PA185&dq=almoravids+senegal&hl=en&sa=X&ved=

___________________________________Chapter 13 THE ALMORAVIDS

-

As pertaining to the South
 -

UNESCO General History of Africa, Vol. III, Abridged Edition: Africa from the Seventh to the Eleventh Century (v. 3)

by University of California Press

-

The Almoravids and the Meanings of Jihad
By Ronald A. Messier

Posts: 42937 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

Takrur of the Senegal Valley, Allies of the Almoravids

-

The Search for Takrur: Archaeological Excavations and Reconnaissance along the Middle Senegal Valley
(Yale University Publications in Anthropology) Paperback – December 6, 2016

https://www.academia.edu/33627669/The_Search_for_Takrur_Archaeological_Excavati

-

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Takrur the History of a Name
'Umar Al-Naqar
The Journal of African History
Vol. 10, No. 3 (1969), pp. 365-374

The generic term Takarir (also Takarna) is a popular Middle Eastern concept applied to all West African Muslims. The progenitor of the name, to which the attribution Takarir is made, is the ancient state of Takrur, which existed briefly on the Senegal basin from ca. A.D. 1000 and which was the first West African chieftaincy to accept Islam. This paper suggests that probably the earliest West African Muslims to be seen in the Middle East in recognizable numbers may have come from that state. Because the milieu of the Hijaz and the diversity of races frequenting the annual pilgrimage ceremonies encouraged generalizations, the name Takarir was conveniently applied to West Africans. The ambiguity of the term may thus be seen to have progressively increased with the expansion of Islam in West Africa, while the name itself became sufficiently entrenched in popular usage for it to survive the fame of great West African empires like Mali and Songhay. The term 'Bilad al-Takrur' is essentially the extension of the Middle Eastern concept of Takrur and has therefore received various territorial definitions.
The Journal of African History © 1969

Takrur empire One of the earliest important states in the western Sudan region of Africa in the lower Senegal River valley. The rulers of this empire were probably the ancestors of the Fulani. The writings of Al-Bakri say that in the middle of 11th-cent. Takrur was the first African state south of the Sahara to become Muslim. The state of Takrur became part of the empire of ancient Ghana, and later, in late-13th cent, it was ruled by ancient Mali.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/news-wires-white-papers-and-books/economic-context-state-building

Writing in 1068, the Andalusian geographer al-Bakri (d. 1054) was able to gather precious information about Islam in three contemporary African kingdoms: Gao, Ghana, and Takrur (in lower Senegal). The king of Gao was Muslim, but the common people adhered to their ancestral religion, and pre-Islamic customs persisted at the court. The partial acceptance of Islam in Gao is contrasted with the zealous adherence to Islam of the king of Takrur, who compelled his subjects to observe Islamic law and carried out a jihad against his neighbors. The Islamic militancy of Takrur was exceptional, whereas Gao's symbiotic relationship between Islam and the traditional religion was more typical of Islam in West Africa. Throughout the eleventh century the rulership of Takrur was both a valued ally of the Almoravids and a competitor of Ghana in the gold trade. For the short term, eliminating the competition increased the regularity and volume of gold exports for the Almoravids. However, the gold regions of Ghana remained beyond their control, so in 1076 they destroyed Kumbi Saleh, the capital city of Ghana. Again, their chief aim was consolidation of direct access to and control of the gold-producing regions of ancient Ghana.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by .Charlie Bass.:
Sub-Saharan origin of Almoravids confirmed

The -29 (A-G) mutation is believed to be of Sub-Saharan African origin and is specially frequent in Black Americans (Gonzalez-Redondo et al., 1991). Its presence in Morocco could be explained by migration during the Almoravid
dynasty (1055–1130 AD) or through the caravan routes

GENETIC TESTING
Volume 12, Number 4, 2008
Molecular Basis of b-Thalassemia in Morocco:
Possible Origins of the Molecular Heterogeneity

Let's see what the rest of the article said

quote:

b-thalassemia is a groupof heterogeneous autosomalrecessive disorders due to absent or reduced synthesisof theb-globin chain

Eighteen different b-thalassemia mutations were identified...

Throughout history, Morocco has been a land of migration for several civilizations that contributed to its genetic admixture. The Berbers were the indigenous inhabitants; however, several waves of settlements of other ethnic groups have occurred. Around the 11th century BC, the Phoenicians settled in the land, extending their influence during a millennium. The Romans followed from the beginning of the Christian era until the 5th century AD when the Byzantine empires rolled until the conquest by Muslim Arabs during the 7th century AD. To these groups was added a continuous influx of Sub-Saharan Africans through the caravan routes....

When compared to other countries (Table 2), the distribution of b-thalassemia mutations in Morocco was found to be generally similar; a small number of mutations predominated, and the most common ones were geographically the most widespread and theoretically the oldest. This was the case of the codon 39 (C?T) mutation, which represented 26.58% of all Moroccan thalassemic chromosomes. This mutation of Western Mediterranean origin (Caoet al., 1989)reached its highest frequency in the ethnic isolation of Sardinia with 96% (Rosatelliet al., 1992a).
It is the most frequent mutation in Algeria with 27.6% of b-thalassemic chromosomes (Bennaniet al., 1994), in Tunisia and Italy with 40%(Fattoumet al., 1991; Rosatelliet al., 1992b; Haj Khelilet al.,2004), and in Spain with 36% (Amselemet al., 1988; Ribeiroet al., 1997).

The IVS-II-745 mutation was found to be predominant in Jordan (Sadiqet al., 2001) and in Syria (El-Hazmiet al., 1995), reaching a frequency of 14.2%and 16.7%, respectively; thus, this mutation could have been introduced into Morocco during the Arab conquests (8th–11th centuries) and then selected by malaria and endogamy.

In addition to codon 39 and FSC-8,two other mutations were frequent in Morocco: IVS-II-745(C-G) and29 (A-G). The IVS-II-745 mutation was found to be predominant in Jordan (Sadiqet al., 2001) and in Syria (El-Hazmiet al., 1995), reaching a frequency of 14.2%and 16.7%, respectively; thus, this mutation could have been introduced into Morocco during the Arab conquests (8th–11th centuries) and then selected by malaria and endogamy. The -29 (A-G) mutation is believed to be of Sub-Saharan African origin and is specially frequent in Black Americans (Gonzalez-Redondoet al., 1991). Its presence in Morocco could be explained by migration during the Almoravid dynasty (1055–1130 AD) or through the caravan routes.

GENETIC TESTING
Volume 12, Number 4, 2008
Molecular Basis of b-Thalassemia in Morocco:
Possible Origins of the Molecular Heterogeneity [/b]

-

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

Takrur of the Senegal Valley, Allies of the Almoravids

-

The Search for Takrur: Archaeological Excavations and Reconnaissance along the Middle Senegal Valley
(Yale University Publications in Anthropology) Paperback – December 6, 2016

https://www.academia.edu/33627669/The_Search_for_Takrur_Archaeological_Excavati

-

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Takrur the History of a Name
'Umar Al-Naqar
The Journal of African History
Vol. 10, No. 3 (1969), pp. 365-374

The generic term Takarir (also Takarna) is a popular Middle Eastern concept applied to all West African Muslims. The progenitor of the name, to which the attribution Takarir is made, is the ancient state of Takrur, which existed briefly on the Senegal basin from ca. A.D. 1000 and which was the first West African chieftaincy to accept Islam. This paper suggests that probably the earliest West African Muslims to be seen in the Middle East in recognizable numbers may have come from that state. Because the milieu of the Hijaz and the diversity of races frequenting the annual pilgrimage ceremonies encouraged generalizations, the name Takarir was conveniently applied to West Africans. The ambiguity of the term may thus be seen to have progressively increased with the expansion of Islam in West Africa, while the name itself became sufficiently entrenched in popular usage for it to survive the fame of great West African empires like Mali and Songhay. The term 'Bilad al-Takrur' is essentially the extension of the Middle Eastern concept of Takrur and has therefore received various territorial definitions.
The Journal of African History © 1969

Takrur empire One of the earliest important states in the western Sudan region of Africa in the lower Senegal River valley. The rulers of this empire were probably the ancestors of the Fulani. The writings of Al-Bakri say that in the middle of 11th-cent. Takrur was the first African state south of the Sahara to become Muslim. The state of Takrur became part of the empire of ancient Ghana, and later, in late-13th cent, it was ruled by ancient Mali.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/news-wires-white-papers-and-books/economic-context-state-building

Writing in 1068, the Andalusian geographer al-Bakri (d. 1054) was able to gather precious information about Islam in three contemporary African kingdoms: Gao, Ghana, and Takrur (in lower Senegal). The king of Gao was Muslim, but the common people adhered to their ancestral religion, and pre-Islamic customs persisted at the court. The partial acceptance of Islam in Gao is contrasted with the zealous adherence to Islam of the king of Takrur, who compelled his subjects to observe Islamic law and carried out a jihad against his neighbors. The Islamic militancy of Takrur was exceptional, whereas Gao's symbiotic relationship between Islam and the traditional religion was more typical of Islam in West Africa. Throughout the eleventh century the rulership of Takrur was both a valued ally of the Almoravids and a competitor of Ghana in the gold trade. For the short term, eliminating the competition increased the regularity and volume of gold exports for the Almoravids. However, the gold regions of Ghana remained beyond their control, so in 1076 they destroyed Kumbi Saleh, the capital city of Ghana. Again, their chief aim was consolidation of direct access to and control of the gold-producing regions of ancient Ghana.

Faces of the editors
 -
susan keech mcintosh

-
Roderick j Mcintosh

-
hamady bocoum

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
yes, Hamady Bocoum the director of The Museum of Black Civilisations in Dakar was involved in that book, good lookin out
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yes, Hamady Bocoum the director of The Museum of Black Civilisations in Dakar was involved in that book, good lookin out

what about Susan keech Mcintosh and Roderick j Mcintosh?

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
quote:

what about them?
you posted them ? They're anthropology professors. Hamady Bocoum was born in Senegal where Takrur was and is the director of a Museum

It's a five page thread. Why didn't you post all the authors of all the articles and books in this thread with no comment?
What about it? Do you have some point to make?

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
quote:

what about them?
you posted them ? They're anthropology professors. Hamady Bocoum was born in Senegal where Takrur was and is the director of a Museum

It's a five page thread. Why didn't you post all the authors of all the articles and books in this thread with no comment?
What about it? Do you have some point to make?

you cannot deny their contributions to this work.

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Tehutimes
Member # 21712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tehutimes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting concept that Arabs stereotyped a whole region in Western Africa the way Europeans stereotype anywhere on the African continent. Both harbor similar goofy assumptions about Africans & Africa in general.

--------------------
Tehutimes

Posts: 115 | From: north america | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tehutimes:
[QB] Interesting concept that Arabs stereotyped a whole region in Western Africa the way Europeans stereotype anywhere on the African continent.

what statement are you referring to?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
 -
Ronald Messier

-

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TEKRUR was as much "Mauritania" as "Senegal".

Until Mauritania's "archives" are xlated into IE
languages 90% of the story's never been told.

I wouldn't trust a Tuna Melt samich w/Onion Rings
served under the MacIntoshes overview and control.
Eat cautiously, beware of dolphin meat, 3 x as much
batter than vegetable, mince instead of whole onion,
and have Maalox, plenty of clean drinking water, and
a toilet nearby.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com