EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What is meant by the term “tropical body plan” or “super tropical body plan”?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is meant by the term “tropical body plan” or “super tropical body plan”?
Kimbles
Member # 23765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimbles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve seen this word thrown around here while looking through the site, and It’s usually used in reference to the body types of Egyptians. I’m wondering about what that term means specifically and how it would look physically.

Thanks.

Posts: 80 | From: USA, America | Registered: May 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kimbles:
I’ve seen this word thrown around here while looking through the site, and It’s usually used in reference to the body types of Egyptians. I’m wondering about what that term means specifically and how it would look physically.

Thanks.

Its seems like the term "tropical body plan" hasn't been talked about on Egyptsearch for years

If I recall it was legs that are long in proportion to torso

The term is actually in nearly no science articles
except in this long thesis by Michelle H. Raxter, University of South Florida
Egyptian Body Size: A Regional and Worldwide
Comparison

https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/etd/3305/

you can download it there at USF

over 300 pages, takes a couple of minutes , then Ctrl + F for

The term that we used to talk about a lot that is used in science articles is "tropically adapted limb ratios"
or "tropically adapted limb proportions" similarly meaning:
slender trunks and long limbs
(which can be calculated as a proportion, one to the other)

In colder climates you find thicker people with shorter limbs, that retains heat more

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks.

Tropical body plan is a shortening of tropically-adapted limb proportions or ratio. It's a self defining criteria describing people who have long limbs relative to their torso. It also is more nuanced in looking at limb ratios in relation to each other. (brachial and crural indices.) These term are used broadly and in many Scientific papers. Lioness should know this.
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
quote:

Thanks.

Tropical body plan is a shortening of tropically-adapted limb proportions or ratio. It's a self defining criteria describing people who have long limbs relative to their torso. It also is more nuanced in looking at limb ratios in relation to each other. (brachial and crural indices.) These term are used broadly and in many Scientific papers. Lioness should know this.
maybe you forgot to read this part of my post>

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
The term that we used to talk about a lot that is used in science articles is "tropically adapted limb ratios"
or "tropically adapted limb proportions" similarly meaning:
slender trunks and long limbs
(which can be calculated as a proportion, one to the other)

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com