EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Do Africans and Afro-Americans think (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do Africans and Afro-Americans think
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackTiger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think truth and rights sounds like a black supremacist, and a gender sexist....because he points to a uniquness of black woman through special role in suffering....true nobody who is not a black woman can feel like a black woman but isnt this true also for a brown woman? if you are not a brown woman you cant know how it is to be a brown woman.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTiger:
i dont compare the injustice done to me and gypsies to what happened to blacks, its a different story but NOT WORSE than what happened to gypsies. in the middle ages gypsies were slaves in wallachia and in western europe it was legal to hunt and kill gypsies. Blacks didnt suffered MORE than gypsies. thats the point.

and delete the pic from your quote. thanks

1. The pic is not in my quote, and if I had chosen to post it and wanted it there, do you really think you can tell me to take it down? [Roll Eyes] KMRT....yuh brite like...

um...YES YOU ARE COMPARING...and the Gypsies have suffered atrocities but not to the extent Africans/Diasporan Black People have...IT WAS LEGAL TO HUNT AND KILL BLACK PEOPLE IN AUSTRALIA...IT WAS LEGAL TO HUNT AND KILL BLACK PEOPLE IN TASMANIA...FOR JUST TWO EXAMPLES.

quote:
"Tactics for hunting down Tasmanians included riding out on horseback to shoot them, setting out steel traps to catch them, and putting out poison flour where they might find and eat it. Sheperds cut off the penis of aboriginal men, to watch the men run a few yards before dying."
--Jared Diamond

quote:
The Destruction Of The Tasmanian Aborigines

-
Truganinni

by Runoko Rashidi

To many, the mention of Tasmania evokes humorous recollections of the Tasmanian devil--the voracious marsupial popularized in American cartoons. Tasmania is an island slightly larger in size than West Virginia, and is located two-hundred miles off Australia's southeast coast. The aboriginal inhabitants of the island were Black people who probably went there by crossing an ancient land bridge that connected Tasmania to the continent of Australia.

The Black aborigines of Tasmania were marked by tightly curled hair with skin complexions ranging from black to reddish-brown. They were relatively short in stature with little body fat. They were the indigenous people of Tasmania and their arrival there began at least 35,000 years ago. With the passage of time, the gradual rising of the sea level submerged the Australian-Tasmanian land bridge and the Black aborigines of Tasmania experienced more than 10,000 years of solitude and physical isolation from the rest of the world--the longest period of isolation in human history.

It is our great misfortune that the Black people of Tasmania bequeathed no written histories. We do not know that they called themselves or what they named their land. All we really have are minute fragments, bits of evidence, and the records and documents of Europeans who began coming to the island in 1642.

THE BLACK FAMILY IN TASMANIA

The Tasmanian aborigines were hunter-gatherers with an exceptionally basic technology. The Tasmanians made only a few types of simple stone and wooden tools. They lacked agriculture, livestock, pottery, and bows and arrows.
The Black family in Tasmania was a highly organized one--its form and substance directed by custom. A man joined with a woman in marriage and formed a social partnership with her. It would appear that such marriages were usually designed by the parents--but this is something about which very little is actually known.

The married couple seems to have remained together throughout the course of their lives, and only in rare cases did a man have more than one wife at the same time. Their children were not only well cared for, but were treated with great affection. Elders were cared for by the the family, and children were kept at the breast for longer than is usual in child care among Europeans.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF THE BLACKS

The isolation of Tasmania's Black aborigines ended in 1642 with the arrival and intrusion of the first Europeans. Abel Jansen Tasman, the Dutch navigator after whom the island is named, anchored off the Tasmanian coast in early December, 1642. Tasman named the island Van Diemen's land, after Anthony Van Diemen--the governor-general of the Dutch East India Company. The island continued to be called Van Diemen's Land until 1855.

On March 5, 1772, a French expedition led by Nicholas Marion du Fresne landed on the island. Within a few hours his sailors had shot several Aborigines. On January 28, 1777, the British landed on the island. Following coastal New South Wales in Australia, Tasmania was established as a British convict settlement in 1803.

These convicts had been harshly traumatized and were exceptionally brutal. In addition to soldiers, administrators, and missionaries, eventually more than 65,000 men and women convicts were settled in Tasmania. A glaringly inefficient penal system allowed such convicts to escape into the Tasmanian hinterland where they exercised the full measure of their blood-lust and brutality upon the island's Black occupants. According to social historian Clive Turnbull, the activities of these criminals would soon include the "shooting, bashing out brains, burning alive, and slaughter of Aborigines for dogs' meat."

PART 2

TASMANIAN DEVILS IN HUMAN FORM

As early as 1804 the British began to slaughter, kidnap and enslave the Black people of Tasmania. The colonial government itself was not even inclined to consider the aboriginal Tasmanians as full human beings, and scholars began to discuss civilization as a unilinear process with White people at the top and Black people at the bottom. To the Europeans of Tasmania the Blacks were an entity fit only to be exploited in the most sadistic of manners--a sadism that staggers the imagination and violates all human morality. As UCLA professor, Jared Diamond, recorded:
"Tactics for hunting down Tasmanians included riding out on horseback to shoot them, setting out steel traps to catch them, and putting out poison flour where they might find and eat it. Sheperds cut off the penis and testicles of aboriginal men, to watch the men run a few yards before dying. At a hill christened Mount Victory, settlers slaughtered 30 Tasmanians and threw their bodies over a cliff. One party of police killed 70 Tasmanians and dashed out the children's brains."

Such vile and animalistic behavior on the part of the White settlers of Tasmania was the rule rather than the exception. In spite of their wanton cruelty, however, punishment in Tasmania was exceedingly rare for the Whites, although occasionally Whites were sentenced for crimes against Blacks. For example, there is an account of a man who was flogged for exhibiting the ears and other body parts of a Black boy that he had mutilated alive.

We hear of another European punished for cutting off the little finger of an Aborigine and using it as a tobacco stopper. Twenty-five lashes were stipulated for Europeans convicted of tying aboriginal "Tasmanian women to logs and burning them with firebrands, or forcing a woman to wear the head of her freshly murdered husband on a string around her neck."

Not a single European, however, was ever punished for the murder of Tasmanian Aborigines. Europeans thought nothing of tying Black men to trees and using them for target practice. Black women were kidnapped, chained and exploited as sexual slaves. White convicts regularly hunted Black people for sport, casually shooting, spearing or clubbing the men to death, torturing and raping the women, and roasting Black infants alive. As historian, James Morris, graphically noted:

"We hear of children kidnapped as pets or servants, of a woman chained up like an animal in a shepherd's hut, of men castrated to keep them off their own women. In one foray seventy aborigines were killed, the men shot, the women and children dragged from crevices in the rocks to have their brains dashed out. A man called Carrotts, desiring a native woman, decapitated her husband, hung his head around her neck and drove her home to his shack."

PART 3

THE BLACK WAR

"The Black War of Van Diemen's Land" was the name of the official campaign of terror directed against the Black people of Tasmania. Between 1803 and 1830 the Black aborigines of Tasmania were reduced from an estimated five-thousand people to less than seventy-five. An article published December 1, 1826 in the Tasmanian Colonial Times declared that:
"We make no pompous display of Philanthropy. The Government must remove the natives--if not, they will be hunted down like wild beasts and destroyed!"

With the declaration of martial law in November 1828, Whites were authorized to kill Blacks on sight. Although the Blacks offered a heroic resistance, the wooden clubs and sharpened sticks of the Aborigines were no match against the firepower, ruthlessness, and savagery exercised by the Europeans against them.

In time, a bounty was declared on Blacks, and "Black catching," as it was called, soon became a big business; five pounds for each adult Aborigine, two pounds for each child. After considering proposals to capture them for sale as slaves, poison or trap them, or hunt them with dogs, the government settled on continued bounties and the use of mounted police.

After the Black War, for political expediency, the status of the Blacks, who were no longer regarded as a physical threat, was reduced to that of a nuisance and a bother, and with loud and pious exclamations that it was for the benefit of the Blacks themselves, the remainder of the Aborigines were rounded up and placed in concentration camps.

In 1830 George Augustus Robinson, a Christian missionary, was hired to round up the remaining Tasmanian Blacks and take them to Flinders Island, thirty miles away. Many of Robinson's captives died along the way. By 1843 only fifty survived. Jared Diamond recorded that:

"On Flinders Island Robinson was determined to civilize and Christianize the survivors. His settlement--at a windy site with little fresh water--was run like a jail. Children were separated from parents to facilitate the work of civilizing them. The regimental daily schedule included Bible reading, hymn singing, and inspection of beds and dishes for cleanness and neatness.

However, the jail diet caused malnutrition, which combined with illness to make the natives die. Few infants survived more than a few weeks. The government reduced expenditures in the hope that the native would die out. By 1869 only Truganini, one other woman, and one man remained alive."

PART 4

THE LAST TASMANIANS

With the steady decrease in the number of Aborigines, White people began to take a bizarre interest in the Blacks, whom Whites believed "to be a missing link between humans and apes." In 1859 Charles Darwin's book, On the Origin of Species, popularized the fantasy of biological (and therefore social) evolution, with Whites at the top of the evolutionary scale and Blacks at the bottom.

The Aborigines were portrayed as a group of people "doomed to die out according to a natural law, like the dodo, and the dinosaur." This is during the same period in the United States that it was legally advocated that a Black man had no rights that a White man was bound to respect.

William Lanney, facetiously known as King Billy, was the last full-blood male Tasmanian. He was born in 1835 and grew up on Flinders Island. At the age of thirteen Lanney was removed with the remnant of his people to a concentration camp called Oyster Cove. Ultimately he became a sailor and some years he went whaling. As the last male Tasmanian, Lanney was regarded as a human relic. In January 1860 he was introduced to Prince Albert. He returned ill from a whaling voyage in February 1868, and on March 2, 1868 he died in his room at the Dog and Partridge public-house in Hobart, Tasmania.

Lanney, the subject of ridicule in life, became, in death, a desirable object. Even while he lay in the Colonial Hospital at least two persons determined to have his bones. They claimed to act in the interest of the Royal Society of Tasmania. On March 6, 1868, the day of the funeral, fifty or sixty residents interested in Lanney gathered at the hospital.

Rumors were circulating that the body had been mutilated and, to satisfy the mourners, the coffin was opened. When those who wished to do so had seen the body, the coffin was closed and sealed. Meanwhile it was reported that, on the preceding night, a surgeon had entered the dead-house where Lanney lay, skinned the head, and removed the skull.

Reportedly, the head of a patient who had died in the hospital on the same day was similarly skinned, and the skull was placed inside Lanney's scalp and the skin drawn over it. Members of the Royal Society were "greatly annoyed" at being thus forestalled and, as body-snatching was expected, it was decided that nothing should be left worth taking and Lanney's hands and feet were cut off. In keeping with the tradition no one was punished. William Lanney, the last Black man in Tasmania, was gone.

QUEEN TRUGANINI: THE LAST TASMANIAN

"Not, perhaps, before, has a race of men been utterly destroyed within seventy-five years. This is the story of a race which was so destroyed, that of the aborigines of Tasmania--destroyed not only by a different manner of life but by the ill-will of the usurpers of the race's land.... With no defences but cunning and the most primitive weapons, the natives were no match for the sophisticated individualists of knife and gun. By 1876 the last of them was dead. So perished a whole people." --Clive Turnbull

On May 7, 1876, Truganini, the last full-blood Black person in Tasmania, died at seventy-three years of age. Her mother had been stabbed to death by a European. Her sister was kidnapped by Europeans. Her intended husband was drowned by two Europeans in her presence, while his murderers raped her.

It might be accurately said that Truganini's numerous personal sufferings typify the tragedy of the Black people of Tasmania as a whole. She was the very last. "Don't let them cut me up," she begged the doctor as she lay dying. After her burial, Truganini's body was exhumed, and her skeleton, strung upon wires and placed upright in a box, became for many years the most popular exhibit in the Tasmanian Museum and remained on display until 1947. Finally, in 1976--the centenary years of Truganini's death--despite the museum's objections, her skeleton was cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.

CONCLUSION

The tragedy of the Black aborigines of Tasmania, however painful its recounting may be, is a story that must be told. What lessons do we learn from the destruction of the Tasmanians? Truganini's life and death, although extreme, effectively chronicle the association not only between White people and Black people in Tasmania, but, to a significant degree, around the world. Between 1803 and 1876 the Black aborigines of Tasmania were completely destroyed.

During this period the Black people of Tasmania were debased, degraded and eventually exterminated. Indeed, given the long and well-documented history of carnage, cruelty, savagery, and the monstrous pain, suffering, and inhumanity Europeans have inflicted upon Black people in general, and the Black people of Tasmania in particular, one could argue that they themselves, the White settlers of Tasmania, far more than the ravenous beast portrayed in American cartoons, have been the real Tasmanian devil.

POSTSCRIPT

INDIGENOUS TASMANIANS TODAY: SURVIVORS OF THE HOLOCAUST

The above article was written around 1997 and was a part of an ongoing series of articles designed to draw attention to the past and present, the history and the current status, of Black people around the world. In that sense I believe that it is basically a very good article. It should be pointed out though that it was written before my first trip to Australia. More and more, over the the course of time, I have come to find that travel is a wonderful educational experience indeed, and that during the process you often come across information not commonly found in books.

In November 1998 I was invited to speak at the World's Indigenous Peoples Conference in Toowomba, Queensland, Australia. During my Australian sojourn, in addition to the Conference, I was able to travel to several regions and three states. For the first time I interacted with large numbers of Indigenous Australians. The Conference itself was magnificent; a real triumph and one of the great experiences of my life.

Even before the Conference convened, however, I was shocked to meet for the initial time a Black man from Tasmania! He was professor Errol West of the University of Southern Queensland. Prof. West (a noted scholar and an excellent poet) and I quickly developed a close bond and soon became good friends.

We talked and socialized together a great deal and it became readily apparent that only the full-blood Blacks had perished in the holocaust, and that there were Black people living in Tasmania today. Obviously, this was in stark contrast to all of the major writings on the subject. Prof. West also gave me a very different and contrasting view of Truganini.

My trip to Australia gave me a great deal to think about and a lot to reassess. Eighteen months later I returned to Australia and saw even more of this fascinating country, and I have since learned a great deal more about the history and current conditions of the original people.

And the education hasn't stopped. Several months ago I received a series of emails from a Tasmanian sister who expressed tremendous gratitude for the article and encouraged and assured me that the Blacks of Tasmania "are alive and still fighting for our rights and the recognition that we deserve as Indigenous peoples." In 2002 I plan to travel to Tasmania itself. And the education continues.

Runoko Rashidi is an historian, public lecturer and writer engaged in a love affair with Africa. He is currently organizing educational tours to Kenya and Tanzania in April 2001 and Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand
in November 2001. For information contact Rashidi at RRashidi@swbell.net.

..chat bout...NO GET ME STARTED BOUT YA ENUH....AGAIN, I CAN SEE WHY YOUR LIKKLE PISSIN TAIL SELF WAS BANNED BY A BLACK NATIONALIST SITE- DON'T KNOW THEIR REASONING, BUT IF I WAS MODERATOR ON THAT SITE IT WOULD BE YOUR ATTITUDE....
Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackTiger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blacks never suffered in the HOLOCAUST! period
and yes the pic is in your quote. I asked you nicely to remove it. thanks

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i think truth and rights sounds like a black supremacist, and a gender sexist....because he points to a uniquness of black woman through special role in suffering....true nobody who is not a black woman can feel like a black woman but isnt this true also for a brown woman? if you are not a brown woman you cant know how it is to be a brown woman.

[Roll Eyes] I AM A SHE, AND OVERSTAND THIS: YOUR THOUGHTS REGARDING ME ARE COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT TO ME: I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK- SO GWAN TYPE OUT YOU TRIPE CAH MI NUH BIZNIZ....YUH BRITE AND YES IT'S EASY TO SEE WHY A NATIONALIST SITE WOULD NOT WANT YOU...

MOVE AND GWEY....DONE TALKIN....THAT'S THE LAST I'LL ENTERTAIN YOU ON THIS....

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
you still didnt removed the link to the pic...
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Blacks never suffered in the HOLOCAUST! period
and yes the pic is in your quote. I asked you nicely to remove it. thanks

I'ma have to entertain this one:

Are you SURE they didn't? (though not to the numerical extent that European Jews and Roma did)

Think long and hard before you answer that....because I already know the answer, just waiting to see if you do....

no duncehead sheep round here- just apparently you and some of the 'white' boys bout ya that stay fixated on Black folks....(oh and Self-loathing Knee-grows)

and no, said family pic is not showing up on my screen.

And again, if I could see it in my post, and it was there, and I wanted it there, WHA YUH AH GUH DO? ALL YOU CAN DO IS ASK, NICELY OR OTHERWISE...SO SHET YUH RASS. [Roll Eyes]

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
its the link to the pic.....you know it very well and stop talking ebonics to me, i dont understand
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
"You cannot possibly comprehend the anger I have in me because of being experimented on in Dachau, and being called 'nigger girl' and 'blacky' while growing up.'

- "Kay", Black female Holocaust survivor

"Once we got to Dachau we were in for the shock of our lives. Aside from the horror that was beyond description, we were completely surprised to see 8,000...Blacks from World War I! They looked at us and we stared back at them. We just stared at one another in disbelief."
- Lt. Col. Emmett Simmons
and African American Commander in the U.S. Army

"And the black holocaust survivors despair over the fact that much has been documented about Jews, homosexuals and Gypsies, but little or nothing has been done about their own situation."
-Anonymous, U.S. Holocaust Museum, Washington, D.C.

Taken from the back cover of a book called:

GERMANY'S BLACK HOLOCAUST, 1980-1945
Firpo W. Carr, Ph.D.
A Black scholar's 30 year study of the Holocaust, including the untold story of a female Black survivor, and the liberation of 8,0000 Blacks.

that I am holding in my hand. It's a shame I don't have a scanner to scan in some pages containing some photographs, to include certain cartoons, from that time period....not a lot of people know about the Black experience in Germany during that time...."The Rhineland Bastards" does that term sound familiar to you, without looking it up?

Further, you see, Germany's first concentration camps were long before the Holocaust of WWII- in Africa; they practiced that ish on the HERERO PEOPLE over in Africa first...

I am looking at a photograph of Colonial German soldiers executing a blindfolded African child. These atrocities were commonplace.

HERERO HEROES by Jan-bart Gewald will also educate you as to the Germans and the Herero People.

another note:

quote:
The fate of black people from 1933 to 1945 in Nazi Germany and in German-occupied territories ranged from isolation to persecution, sterilization, medical experimentation, incarceration, brutality, and murder. However, there was no systematic program for their elimination as there was for Jews and other groups.

After World War I, the Allies stripped Germany of its African colonies. The German military stationed in Africa (Schutztruppen), as well as missionaries, colonial bureaucrats, and settlers, returned to Germany and took with them their racist attitudes. Separation of whites and blacks was mandated by the Reichstag (German parliament), which enacted a law against mixed marriages in the African colonies.

Following World War I and the Treaty of Versailles (1919), the victorious Allies occupied the Rhineland in western Germany. The use of French colonial troops, some of whom were black, in these occupation forces exacerbated anti-black racism in Germany. Racist propaganda against black soldiers depicted them as rapists of German women and carriers of venereal and other diseases. The children of black soldiers and German women were called “Rhineland Bastards.” The Nazis, at the time a small political movement, viewed them as a threat to the purity of the Germanic race. In Mein Kampf (My Struggle), Hitler charged that “the Jews had brought the Negroes into the Rhineland with the clear aim of ruining the hated white race by the necessarily-resulting bastardization.”

African German mulatto children were marginalized in German society, isolated socially and economically, and not allowed to attend university. Racial discrimination prohibited them from seeking most jobs, including service in the military. With the Nazi rise to power they became a target of racial and population policy. By 1937, the Gestapo (German secret state police) had secretly rounded up and forcibly sterilized many of them. Some were subjected to medical experiments; others mysteriously “disappeared.”

The racist nature of Adolf Hitler's regime was disguised briefly during the Olympic Games in Berlin in August 1936, when Hitler allowed 18 African American athletes to compete for the U.S. team. However, permission to compete was granted by the International Olympic Committee and not by the host country.

Adult African Germans were also victims. Both before and after World War I, many Africans came to Germany as students, artisans, entertainers, former soldiers, or low-level colonial officials, such as tax collectors, who had worked for the imperial colonial government. Hilarius (Lari) Gilges, a dancer by profession, was murdered by the SS in 1933, probably because he was black. Gilges' German wife later received restitution from a postwar German government for his murder by the Nazis.

Some African Americans, caught in German-occupied Europe during World War II, also became victims of the Nazi regime. Many, like female jazz artist Valaida Snow, were imprisoned in Axis internment camps for alien nationals. The artist Josef Nassy, living in Belgium, was arrested as an enemy alien and held for seven months in the Beverloo transit camp in German-occupied Belgium. He was later transferred to Germany, where he spent the rest of the war in the Laufen internment camp and its subcamp, Tittmoning, both in Upper Bavaria.

European and American blacks were also interned in the Nazi concentration camp system. Lionel Romney, a sailor in the U.S. Merchant Marine, was imprisoned in the Mauthausen concentration camp. Jean Marcel Nicolas, a Haitian national, was incarcerated in the Buchenwald and Dora-Mittelbau concentration camps in Germany. Jean Voste, an African Belgian, was incarcerated in the Dachau concentration camp. Bayume Mohamed Hussein from Tanganyika (today Tanzania) died in the Sachsenhausen camp, near Berlin.

Black prisoners of war faced illegal incarceration and mistreatment at the hands of the Nazis, who did not uphold the regulations imposed by the Geneva Convention (international agreement on the conduct of war and the treatment of wounded and captured soldiers). Lieutenant Darwin Nichols, an African American pilot, was incarcerated in a Gestapo prison in Butzbach. Black soldiers of the American, French, and British armies were worked to death on construction projects or died as a result of mistreatment in concentration or prisoner-of-war camps. Others were never even incarcerated, but were instead immediately killed by the SS or Gestapo.

Some African American members of the U.S. Armed forces were liberators and witnesses to Nazi atrocities. The 761st Tank Battalion (an all-African American tank unit), attached to the 71st Infantry Division, U.S. Third Army, under the command of General George Patton, participated in the liberation of Gunskirchen, a subcamp of the Mauthausen concentration camp, in May 1945.

-
Nazi propaganda photo depicts friendship between an "Aryan" and a black woman. The caption states: "The result! A loss of racial pride." Germany, prewar.

— United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

However, I am more focused on the AFRICAN MAAFA/HOLOCAUST that MY PEOPLE, BLACK PEOPLE, HAVE BEEN AND ARE SUFFERING THROUGH...OUR MAAFA HAS NOT YET...ENDED
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
maybe 1 black died in the holocaust. LOL
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
its the link to the pic.....you know it very well and stop talking ebonics to me, i dont understand

Yes, the link is there- NOT the PIC, which is what you were claiming before. I'm not removing a thing...if you didn't want it there, YOU should not have posted the link in the first place.

Mi naaaaaaaaaah tek the link from outta mi post....

I am not speaking that thing called 'ebonics' I am not African American much less an African American who speaks 'ebonics' (you do real-eyes that not all Af. Americans speak 'ebonics' right)...I am Afro-Caribbean and who the f*k are you to tell me how to talk..if you don't understand and you can't figure it out from context...sorry for you (not really), as there are some here who know exactly what I am saying....

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
you are a ass if you dont remove the pic.....do it for the sake of the little girl and you read very well that i wrote "dont quote the pic" because i wanted to delete it afterwards. dont be a bitch
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:

Reading comprehension is a useful thing to have- that's a skill you may want to get better at...

lawd sah, lol....a mind is a terrible thing to waste...smh

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
you are a ass if you dont remove the pic.....do it for the sake of the little girl and you read very well that i wrote "dont quote the pic" because i wanted to delete it afterwards. dont be a bitch

There is no pic to delete, there is a link...when I quoted that post, there was a LINK and NO PIC OF YOUR FAMILY, JUST THE LINK FOR THAT PICTA AND THAT IS ALL/ONLY WHAT I SAW AND SEE ON MY SCREEN: A LINK AND NO PIC. I HAD TO CLICK ON THAT LINK TO SEE THE PICTA- IT OPENED IN A NEXT WINDOW....MI NAAH GUH TELL YUH CLAAT DIS AGAIN. is there a pic there, and for some odd reason my pc just shows the link, possibly, rather than the actual pic? I'm not technologically savvy....

and see that is where you f*ked up...I was actually thinking to mySelf, "mek mi gwan delete that link from mi post so dis likkle maamaa bwoy can stap bawl ova it"...and just coming back into this thread to do so...HOWEVER.

quote:
dont be a bitch
[Mad]
you f*ked up right dehso...so it NAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GUH HAPPEN...so gwan type out your tripe...IT AGUH STAY WEY IT DEH...

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
you are stupid...i dont like you already. i hope not all black grannies are like you. you have serious problems and it doesnt matter if its a link or a pic, everyone can see it
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
you are stupid...i dont like you already. i hope not all black grannies are like you. you have serious problems and it doesnt matter if its a link or a pic, everyone can see it

I really sposed to care about what some internet duppybat thinks about me- and a non-Black one at that? [Roll Eyes]

LMBAO at 'black grannies' hear this FOOL FOOL BOY....

you should have thought about that before YOU posted it, nuh true? Stop blaming others for your own actions...and accept the consequences of your own actions...

You can type out your tripe for pages and days...but with all your sh*t talking and name calling it nah go help you- best know seh...it naaaaaaaaaaaaaah come outta mi post: because you talk too much sh*t... ere's a piece of tissue suh you can wipe your mouth...

call it lesson learned for your 'white'/amigo azz calling a Black Woman a b*tch.... cah your link was coming outta mi post on a second thought, til I saw that....

side note to Self- and as is typical for THIS forum, the Black Men are quiet...this cuda neva guh suh pon a forum where there is Black Unity among Black Men and Women....

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
i didnt called you a bitch, i said DONT BE A BITCH..thats different....so dont put words in my mouth, angry old black granny....hahaha
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
angry old black granny...

SEET DEH...WHILE IT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO ME IN REALITY AND THUS HAS NO STING, IT'S STILL DISRESPECT OF A BLACK WOMAN IN PRINCIPLE...AND THAT ISH YOU TYPED RIGHT UP THERE IS WHY MI NAAAH GUH TEK IT DUNG...SEET HERE:

http://postimage.org/image/nu4arr6s/

EVERYTIME YUH CHAT YUH DISRESPECTFUL F*KRY, THAT WILL BE THE RESPONSE YOU GET OK....SO GWAN....HOW MUCH TIMES YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR LINK IN HOW MANY THREADS, EEEEHH? KEEP ON DISRESPECT THIS BLACK WOMAN HERE....

SO STFU AND MOVE AND GWEY AND 'LOW ME......
BETTER YOU DON'T RESPONSE TO ME, AND THUS I WILL HAVE NO RESPONSE TO YOU, AND THINGS CAN GWAN SEMI-NICE 'ROUND HERE.....

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
you will be reported you silly ass old grandma
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
you will be reported you silly ass old grandma

http://postimage.org/image/nu4arr6s/

move you p*ssyclaat you two tongue claffy caba caba boy....

you shuda never post it on a PUBLIC MESSAGE BOARD then nuh true...you don't learn nothing about internet yet? you shuda neva start nothing....gwan guh bawl maamaa boy...dem can tek it dung...BUT mi still have it...because yuh a f*kry and yuh disrespect....and everytime you disrespect me, you will seet, and they will have to tek it...

keep yuh rass mouth shut with your disrespect, and we can get along fine and neva see it again UNLESS YOU PUBLICLY POST IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM AGAIN....

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlackTiger

Why you disrespecting TruthAndRights???

She has been on this forum longer and has added more value to these forums then you. Grow up man and stop disrespecting Black Women.

Why should she do ANYTHING to help you when just from reading this page I can see you insulting her and calling her names. Truth has every right to ignore your plea.

How anyone can sit and see one of our valued posters being disrespected and not speak up is beyond me. [Mad]

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
Dude, she started it, i was very nice to her in the beginning, she is also a fvcking racist, that why she behaves like that toward me....she called me a "white"/amigo boy
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlackTiger

As a Man you're supposed to take the high road in arguements with women...It makes you look real lame to abuse a women verbally and think you are in the right.

Truth has added alot of postives to this forum and how she speaks is a Jamaican dialect of English called Patois...Not ebonics. All you had to do is ask kindly for her to take down the link and she would of.

Just showing a little respect would go a long way of defusing this stale mate.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
BlackTiger

Why you disrespecting TruthAndRights???

She has been on this forum longer and has added more value to these forums then you. Grow up man and stop disrespecting Black Women.

Why should she do ANYTHING to help you when just from reading this page I can see you insulting her and calling her names. Truth has every right to ignore your plea.

How anyone can sit and see one of our valued posters being disrespected and not speak up is beyond me. [Mad]

Respect and give thanks, King....

this is not the first time on this forum, where it was not a Black Man who spoke up about the disrespect of a Black Woman on this forum- but a 'white' man....which is sad, but not surprising because I said it then and I say it now: there is no Black Unity on this forum atall...

Shameful..... [Frown]

His overall attitude is why he would not and will not be welcome on a Black site which promotes Black Love and Unity amongst Black People...

ramp mi nuh ramp with the likes of him....

edited to add:

'ear him now...bout mi is a 'racist'...which part mi have the power of oppression over that 'white'/amigo boy...NONE....

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Even were it but one only it's no laughing matter.
Of course it wasn't just one. The handiest source
for info on Hitler's Black Victims is here.

Also Hitler's Forgotten Black Victims

and this website Blacks in Nazi Germany has more links.

EDIT: sorry for any dupe info I posted before
I saw T&R already addressed the matter.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
no of course its not a laughing matter.... Of course Hitler didnt liked blacks, he was a white nationalist....
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you all DO see this right-

quote:

quote:
no of course its not a laughing matter
LOL = Laughing Out Loud.

I don't know what else to say about that....other than the obvious that doesn't need to be said.

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
the LOL is in a different context. the lol is not because a black died. i can talk seriously with others about the topic but not with you because you are a fvcking racist
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
the LOL is in a different context. the lol is not because a black died......

With all due respect, with regard to what was being said prior to "LOL", maybe there should have been no context at all (ie, "LOL"should not even have been typed behind that statement to begin with).

Non-Black people have a habit of saying ish/letting ish slip outta their mouths re; Black People, and then backtracking on it...bout context...THAT BEING SAID, as a Conscious Black Woman, if I seet, I'mma call it...CAPISH!

If you watch what you say to/amongst Black People, you wouldn't have the problem(s) that you do...ie, getting banned from Black sites, getting caught up ina tings with Conscious Black People....but in your 'white' arrogance that is so typical of 'white' people, that is not going to happen....you will say what you please without apology, or you will say what you please and then backtrack to try make it look better....
the days of Black folks taking ish from 'white' folks are overrrrrrrrr.....

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
lol. you started the fight between me and you. i asked you nicely to remove the link but you didnt wanted.....
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Please excuse my little interview but what census and where is here?

quote:
Indians do not identify as caucasian but as "asian indian", its a own category in the census. Very few indians identify as caucasian, usually the lighter ones.

@alTukruri: We dont have blacks here

But think on this, many Panthers gave up their very lives
in the struggle but the Black Americans erected no memorials
for them, never instituted a holiday to honor them nor even
know the names of their leadership or the actual history
and activities of the Black Panthers some of which were
later taken up by the USA government itself.

Why would the Black Panthers need a seperate monument when, in their own heyday, there were countless other organizations in which their members were also losing their lives, being jailed, and being harrassed by the same FBI, COINTELPRO, local police just as the Panthers were (Deacons for Defense, Republic of New Afrika, SCLC, Nation of Islam, Snicc, CORE)? Any of your African American elders will tell you that even if the Panthers got more nationwide press, there were not unique.

Matter of fact, on the contrary, most people today know very well about the Panthers than the other groups, and thus gives the false impression that they somehow stand alone.

As far as monuments and statues go for different influential members of those organizations, they do exist as they should.

-

Do you know that statuized brother in the backround?

Whenever I hear the statements "the black-Americans", or "the black community", I know something afoul comes next.

As for the OP, what do white people think of you I'd like to know. I can tell you black people probably think you would be some range of pale skinned people that exist on this planet. Then, if you tell them what you are, you will be that. Quite simple.

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
white people think im non-white
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlackTiger If you are concerned about posting family members on the net then simply don't do it.

TruthAndRights even if he fuked-up and posted the pics originally there is still a lil girl who don't need to be blasted all over cyber space because of her family member's carelessness and one more thing after a certain period one is not able to modify a post only a moderator can do that,over at ESR there is no time limit for modification of a post.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
yes it was my fault in the first place i posted the pic but i didnt thought ppl here are rude, i thought they are nice...i didnt expected somebody to quote and repost the link a few times like TruthandRights
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i dont compare the injustice done to me and gypsies to what happened to blacks, its a different story but NOT WORSE than what happened to gypsies. in the middle ages gypsies were slaves in wallachia and in western europe it was legal to hunt and kill gypsies. Blacks didnt suffered MORE than gypsies. thats the point.

In Holland you might be perceived as Turkish or Moroccan. But it will be unusual that people will immediately react to your looks: at least, normal reasonable people.

I met a few Bulgarian Roma. They were most Indian looking. Usually Roma do not broadcast their ethnicity for fear of what people might say.

But as you not look white, Blacks in Europe might assume you are not racist against people of colour, so will look for signs of solidarity.

Because I discuss certain things about blackness I get routinely locked out from white centred sites, so I guess this is what happened to you. I do not know who started this practice.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
quote:

In Holland you might be perceived as Turkish or Moroccan. But it will be unusual that people will immediately react to your looks: at least, normal reasonable people.

I met a few Bulgarian Roma. They were most Indian looking. Usually Roma do not broadcast their ethnicity for fear of what people might say.

But as you not look white, Blacks in Europe might assume you are not racist against people of colour, so will look for signs of solidarity.

Because I discuss certain things about blackness I get routinely locked out from white centred sites, so I guess this is what happened to you. I do not know who started this practice.

Greetings Mr. Codfried, if you peruse ALL of his posts thoroughly with regards to things he says, I think you will overstand why he got banned from Black Nationalist sites...
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
i discussed roma not whites and yeah i was locked out from that black supremacist site. but nevermind i get locked out from white supremacist sites as well. you are afro-dutch?

truthandrights, because there is no free speech on that black supremacist site?

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
O.G. Style

Yo, Yo, Yo

-
hosting images

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
 -

-

-

-

Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wtf wrong wit you, this aint phucking FaceBook -_-

you just made a thread asking for your picture to be removed. Just like to take pictures of yourself, eh?

Lol...

--------------------
L Writes:

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
i discussed roma not whites and yeah i was locked out from that black supremacist site. but nevermind i get locked out from white supremacist sites as well. you are afro-dutch?

truthandrights, because there is no free speech on that black supremacist site?

Black People on a Black Nationalist site are there to discuss, amongst themSelves, issues regarding BLACK PEOPLE, BLACK COMMUNITY, BLACK LOVE, BLACK UNITY, ETC ETC. You need to overstand this: they/we do not care to focus on roma, and/or 'white' people's issues and problems and do not care what you have to say or think, for that matter- cah you ain't relevent to US; it is a distraction from the focus on US. People like YOU cause problems on said sites, just as you do here, with your nonsense that no one really wants to hear....except you and maybe a fan or two you've managed to pick up along the way...
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Calabooz':

you just made a thread asking for your picture to be removed. Just like to take pictures of yourself, eh?

Lol...

it is oh so clear wtf is wrong with him Bredrin....

you don't remember what Paul Mooney said?! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]

quote:
Just like to take pictures of yourself, eh?

and then post them where no one is interested in, nor cares about, seeing them except himSelf...lol...

he is trying SO hard to fit in with a people where he can NOT....it's very sad. [Frown] I ALMOST feel sorry for him. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

oh, the picture he is whining and bawling bout is a picture of him with his family....what kinda fool fool person puts up their personal pictas on a SITE LIKE THIS? [Roll Eyes]

And then is surprised when there are repurcussions involving said posted pic(s) because of talking sh*t to people...

ramp mi nah ramp wid people....lol...

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
quote:

Lol...

i like to take pictures of myself yes, and i asked the family pic to be removed not mine.

truthandrights... it was here http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/open-forum/44300-do-you-agree-statement.html

i asked just a few questions 13 posts overall...i didnt nothing against the black peoples cause and they were very rude, they called me swine

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Lol...

i like to take pictures of myself yes, and i asked the family pic to be removed not mine.

truthandrights... it was here http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/open-forum/44300-do-you-agree-statement.html

i asked just a few questions 13 posts overall...i didnt nothing against the black peoples cause and they were very rude, they called me swine

I'm familiar with that forum, lol...why is it so hard for you to accept that YOU CANNOT FIT IN WITH US AND YOU ARE NOT WANTED BY US.

YOU were rude just with your very presence there...BECAUSE you are not wanted there. It's like walking into a home uninvited and where you are not wanted. It will not sit will with the people of that home- an unwanted guest in one's home. Black People want a place, have a right to a place, where WE can reason with OURSELVES WITHOUT constant intrusion from 'white' people. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU PEOPLE TO ALLOW US TO DO THAT?

WHY ARE YOU SO FIXATED ON/BY/WITH US? WE DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED BY YOU. YOU 'WHITE' PEOPLE ARE SO FRIGGIN ARROGANT, YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE, AND THAT YOU ARE, JUST ACCEPTED ANY AND EVERYWHERE YOU GO. YOU ARE NOT. WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR YOU TO ACCEPT? WHY CAN'T YOU ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON?

THOSE BLACK PEOPLE WHO GO TO BLACK NATIONALIST SITES, WE ALSO DO SO TO GET AWAY FROM 'WHITE' PEOPLE...A TIME OUT AWAY FROM YA'LL AND YA'LLS BULLSH*T TO PAR AMONGST OURSELVES AND BE AMONG OUR PEOPLE- AWAY FROM YOU/PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

AND AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW WHY A 'WHITE' PERSON WOULD WANT TO BE ON A BLACK NATIONALIST SITE TO BEGIN WITH.... [Roll Eyes] MUSSY A MASOCHIST TING....

You see what you posted on this forum in that other thread:

quote:
if black people were majority they would discriminate on other races....i think having whites as massas is the best deal for all coloureds because than they wont kill eatch other
read what YOU wrote, and now ask yourSelf again, why Black People don't want your ass around....
BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
its not a private home its a public forum, for me this means blacknationalist want to segregate themselfes and exclude other ethnicties/races. if they were in power they would do the same to public places like they do on internet.
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
its not a private home its a public forum, for me this means blacknationalist want to segregate themselfes and exclude other ethnicties/races. if they were in power they would do the same to public places like they do on internet.

AND I REPEAT:

You see what you posted on this forum in that other thread:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if black people were majority they would discriminate on other races....i think having whites as massas is the best deal for all coloureds because than they wont kill eatch other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read what YOU wrote, and now ask yourSelf again, why Black People don't want your ass around....SAYING SH*T LIKE THAT, IS NOT GOING TO HELP YOUR CAUSE, AND IT DEFINITELY AIN'T GONNA FIT YOU IN...AND THAT IS JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF THE BS YOU TALK HERE

@ THE OTHER POSTERS WITH REASON BOUT THEIRSELF IN THIS THREAD-

If unnu read ALL of his posts on this forum, it is evident beyond a shadow of doubt, by the preponderance of the evidence, that this guy is JUST A TROLL. He is a Stormfront refugee over here to agitate.

BlackTiger
Member # 18649

Rate Member
i wrote that to tease you.... to make fun of you...not because i was serious.....you deserve no better because you are a racist and i didnt wrote any such stuff on the other forum
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
why is it so hard for you to accept that YOU CANNOT FIT IN WITH US AND YOU ARE NOT WANTED BY US.

YOU were rude just with your very presence there...BECAUSE you are not wanted there.....Black People want a place, have a right to a place, where WE can reason with OURSELVES WITHOUT constant intrusion from 'white' people. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU PEOPLE TO ALLOW US TO DO THAT?

WHY ARE YOU SO FIXATED ON/BY/WITH US? WE DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED BY YOU.
YOU 'WHITE' PEOPLE ARE SO FRIGGIN ARROGANT, YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE, AND THAT YOU ARE, JUST ACCEPTED ANY AND EVERYWHERE YOU GO. YOU ARE NOT. WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR YOU TO ACCEPT? WHY CAN'T YOU ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON?

THOSE BLACK PEOPLE WHO GO TO BLACK NATIONALIST SITES, WE ALSO DO SO TO GET AWAY FROM 'WHITE' PEOPLE...A TIME OUT AWAY FROM YA'LL AND YA'LLS BULLSH*T TO PAR AMONGST OURSELVES AND BE AMONG OUR PEOPLE- AWAY FROM YOU/PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

AND AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW WHY A 'WHITE' PERSON WOULD WANT TO BE ON A BLACK NATIONALIST SITE TO BEGIN WITH.... MUSSY A MASOCHIST TING....

YOU NEED THERAPY.

KMRT....MI CYAN BADDA WID YUH ENUH....YUH WASTE NUFF OF MI TIME...AND IT NAH GUH CONTINUE NEIDDA....

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
[QB] Astonishing. You've lived how long and don't know how blacks treat you? I don't think so.
If the pictured person socializes at all they
know it.

[Eek!] I don't know how I missed this post...VERY TRUE.

quote:
The fact is that NOWHERE would anyone consider him Black.
I missed that too...True.

Mi seh: he is a troll, who is simply here to agitate.

Or else he truly needs therapy/help...they have doctors for that.

(I did not intend to bump this thread up by posting in it; however, I could not go back edit my last post to add this in).

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by rahotep101:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Adam Clayton Powell and W.E.B Dubois were Mulattoes who self-identified as Black.

In the case of Adam Clayton Powell, it was purely political in nature, as his children and grand children, are for all intents and purposes White.

-

Boris Becker's children by his mixed-race wife appear passably white, both being blond with light eyes.
 -

So much for the supposedly dominant black genes. Any white person you see could have black ancestry with dissipated consequences. This is why the 'one drop rule' popular in America is nonsense, as is the expectation that mixed race people should identify as black.

Leona Lewis is another example of the 'one drop rule' not really applying:

-

You would think the following pure northern Europeans, yet Rupert Perry Jones has Indian ancestors:

-

Boris Johnson has a Turkish grandfather:

-

And you would have no problem with your 'white' son, if you have one or hypothetically speaking had one, brought home Boris Becker's daughter or Leona Lewis and announced you're going to be a grandfather and marriage soon to come...

quote:
This is why the 'one drop rule' popular in America is nonsense....
I agree...but do remember that it was not Black People who came up with that nonsense, but 'white' people...

quote:
Any white person you see could have black ancestry with dissipated consequences
Oh we know this [Big Grin] that's why we [Big Grin] at so many 'white' people who chat bout how dem "pure 'white'" and they don't even know about their/whether or not they have Black Ancestor(s) hidden in the closet...lol...
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
 -  -

-

quote:
A Search for Racial Identity on the ‘Color Line’

Deirdre Donahue

USA TODAY

When Gregory Howard Williams was 10 years old, his father turned to him on a bus ride to Muncie, Ind., and told him, "Life is going to be different from now on. In Virginia you were white boys. In Indiana, you’re going to be colored boys. I want you to remember that you’re the same today that you were yesterday. But people in Indiana will treat you differently.

The compelling story of just how different that life would be forms the core of Williams’ much-discussed new book, Life on the Color Line: The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He was Black (Dutton, $22.95). Williams left behind the "whites only" schools, swimming pools and move theaters of 1953. Overnight, his racial identity changed.

The memoir is No. 232 on the USA TODAY Best-Selling Books list.

Williams was born to a white mother and a black father when interracial relationships were still against the law in Virginia. His light-skinned father told people he was Italian, and his mother was disowned by her family in Muncie. The couple ran a tavern for servicemen that failed partly because the Korean War ended and partly because Williams’ charismatic father drank heavily. Eventually, Williams’ mother left the family because her husband beat her often and savagely. She took her tow youngest children but left Williams and his brother Mike with their father.

The two sons would not se or hear from their mother for a decade.

With their father, the two boys headed to Muncie, where they discovered that life for black boys was very different than for white boys. "I was the same person, but because my heritage, I was treated very differently," Williams says. Teachers had severely lowered expectations, and Williams was denied an academic award in the sixth grade because of his race. Often going hungry, the two boys lived at first with their paternal grandmother, who had worked at the tavern back in Virginia, where the boys knew her simply as the cook, Miss Sallie. No one had mentioned she was their father’s mother. "She was very angry about that."

Now the dean of Ohio State University College of Law, Williams wrote the book because he had counseled many minority students and they told him how inspiring and affirming his story was. A top student and high school athlete, Williams put himself through Ball State University while working full time as a sheriff. He also attended law school and has published legal textbooks.

When Williams was growing up in Muncie, where the KKK had been active for many years, there was strict racial segregation. Teachers and coaches probed whether Williams was dating white girls in high school. (Black girls were also off-limits because the couple would look interracial.) Williams, now the father of four, including two adopted sons from Honduras, married a white woman he secretly saw during high school.

With fair skin and straight hair, Williams has always looked white. But the issue has "never been skin color - it’s race and racial heritage," Williams says. His white grandmother lived less than 10 minutes away in Muncie, yet brutally rejected the two boys. After they begged for their mother’s address so they could write her, she ordered them out of her car, saying, "I don’t carry messages for niggers!" Only his mother’s youngest sister kept in touch with Williams.

By contrast, his black relatives and their community accepted the two boys after some playground scuffles and taunts. "We became black. Those were the people who were supporting us. I became proud of my heritage. I realized who I was, Moreover Williams had seen his father "pass" for white and the pain he suffered emotionally at this self-denial.

Economically, however, passing generated much more money. Back in Virginia, his father’s businesses grossed more than $50,000 in 1951. After the family moved to Muncie, the best job his 41-year-old father, who had attended Howard University, could get was as a janitor for $50.50 a week.

What saved Williams in the end was a woman named Miss Dora, who took in the two boys, providing them with a stable home. At 52, Miss Dora earned $25 a week as a domestic, yet fed and cared for the boys. "This woman saved my life," says Williams, who dedicated the book to her, his wife and his now-deceased father who, despite his drinking and difficulties, always encouraged Williams to dream and achieve.

His mother, however, remains a wound. Williams understands why she left her husband, but she has never apologized or even admitted that she abandoned two small boys for 10 years. (She periodically returned to Muncie yet never contacted her sons.) When he saw her at age 20, "She didn’t want to talk to us about how we had survived, what we had gone through," Williams says. "She was in denial." When Williams told her recently that the book was to be published, "she was not happy about it."

Williams traveled back to Muncie recently and my heart broke." He visited his elementary school and "life has not changed a lot in 31 years" in terms of what black children can expect from this world. While he believes there have been "some advances in race relations, there continues to be a lot of divisions."

Quite simply, Williams says it is hard for whites to understand how "overpowering and overshadowing the perceptions about blacks in this society can be. It’s very difficult."

Excerpt

‘Remember Miss Sallie who used to work for us in the tavern?’

Dad’s lower lip quivered. He look ill. Had he always looked this unhealthy, I wondered, or was it something that had happened on the trip?

‘It’s hard to tell you boys this,’ He paused, then slowly added, ‘But she’s really my momma. That means she’s your grandmother.’

‘But that can’t be, Dad! She’s colored!’ I whispered, lest I be overheard by the other white passengers on the bus.

‘That’s right, Billy,’ he continued. ‘She’s colored. That makes you part colored, too.’. . .

I didn’t understand Day. I knew I wasn’t colored, and neither was he. My skin was white. All of us are white, I said to myself. But for the first time, I had to admit Dad didn’t exactly look white. His deeply tanned skin puzzled me as I sat there trying to classify my own father...

‘I don’t wanta be colored,’ Mike whined. ‘I don’t wanta be colored. We can’t go swimming’ or skatin,’...

I glanced across the aisle to where (Dad) sat grimfaced and erect, staring straight ahead. I saw my father as I never had seen him before. The veil dropped from his face and features. Before my eyes he was transformed from a swarthy Italian to his true self - a high-yellow mulatto. My father was a Negro! We were colored! After ten years in Virginia on the white side of the color line, I knew what that meant.

From Life on the Color Line

I have this book- an interesting read still...
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com