EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Colorlines in Classical North Africa (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Colorlines in Classical North Africa
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found it crazy how ancient writers who would've lived during that time and would've seen Egyptians are boldly dismissed even in academia. Its to the point that historians like Herodotus are not just seen as "afrocentric" but are flat out vilified!
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Dr. Sally Ann-Ashton of the Fitzwilliam Museum whom Ausar-Imhotep interviewed whose specialty was 'Classics' (Greco-Roman period) always said that there was a disconnect between her sub-field and the rest of Egyptology. I mean from what I can tell it was always a given the "black" identity of the Egyptians according to the Greeks and Romans yet there seems to be little to no talk about it. Dr. Ashton says that she and her peers were taught to never make a big deal about it which is strange considering that outside of her department "race" has always been an issue when it comes to the Egyptians.

To be honest I get sick and tired of the racial issue myself but it seems the Eurasiocentrics are hellbent on white-washing all of the Nile Valley not just Egypt.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I know first hand from my college days how anthropology departments house many ideologues, some of whom have ideologies that are not much different from the Nazi Ahnenerbe! For example, I even had a professor who was a Solutreanist who believed Kennewick Man to be a lost Nordic ancestor! LOL The old guy even wore his hair long in Native American style even though he claims to be of pure Scandinavian descent.

Rather surprised that guy got to be a professor. In my own experience, most fully credentialed anthropologists would more likely err on the progressive or "woke" side. They wouldn't dare endorse a narrative that claims White people beat Native Americans' ancestors to the Americas.

That being said, I do think the topic attracts a lot of amateurs with questionable opinions and agendas. We all know how Eurocentric a lot of the armchair anthropologists you find online (both in forums and on social media) tend to be. In fact, that's often the case with fandoms built around the sciences (e.g. you won't believe how toxic the paleontology fandom can be, although that's off topic for this thread). Academics are far from perfect, of course, but amateur science nerds can be absolutely nuts sometimes.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7072 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The guy wasn't exactly a "Nazi" or something but I think he got away with it because a lot of professors especially in the social sciences were eccentric if not down right bizarre. Because of his hairstyle and dress, most people just assumed he was a white "2$ Indian". I wonder what happened to him once the DNA results came out that Kennewick was NOT European related. I hope he didn't lose it. LOL

--------------------

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Posted by Djehuti
I don't disagree with your assessment above. By "authorities" I don't mean the owners of the museums or even private collectors themselves per say. Perhaps it is due to the problem of funding since it seems a lot more is done to document and digitize ancient Egyptian artwork than those of ancient Aegean. I've seen more Aegean fresco pictures in books than I have on the internet though I do have my suspicions. As I've said many times before, the only place where I've seen the extensive murals of Knossos are in the waiting halls of the 'Poseidon's Fury' ride in Universal Studios theme park in Florida. It was an exact duplicate of the one in Crete! So if they could do that in a theme park I don't know why they can't make those murals available in the internet.

Funding is also always a factor in the museum world (and in the antiquarian world overall), that is one of the things people who work there most complain over, also up here in Sweden. In Greece funding also seems a bit shaky sometimes. That goes for all kinds of projects.

One can guess that more and more material from Greece will be available online, but funding can be one factor that so little have been done. But one think they would be able to get subsidiaries from EU and other organisations for cultural projects like that.

One can wonder who made the duplicates in Florida? Who paid for it?

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon

That being said, I do think the topic attracts a lot of amateurs with questionable opinions and agendas. We all know how Eurocentric a lot of the armchair anthropologists you find online (both in forums and on social media) tend to be. In fact, that's often the case with fandoms built around the sciences (e.g. you won't believe how toxic the paleontology fandom can be, although that's off topic for this thread). Academics are far from perfect, of course, but amateur science nerds can be absolutely nuts sometimes.

I think those kind of fanatics exists on both sides in the debates about the skin color of ancient Egyptians and other peoples. I have been in groups on the net where so called wabos (wanna be aboriginals) and Afrocentric extremists have harassed Native Americans who just wanted to defend their cultures. And some of the claims some of those extremists forwarded are sometimes so hilarious that one wonders if they really take their own claims seriously.

Even the online debates about ancient Egypt can sometimes get rather toxic. I can agree it is most among armchair historians and amateurs, people who many times never sat their foot in Egypt.

I posted a thread where a young Egyptian woman posted a statue from the tomb of Meketre. Seems the statue was too pale in some keyboard warriors taste so some commenters wrote that is was a fake, others said it depicted a foreigner, and others just went on and on that ancient Egyptians were black. So for some people ancient Egypt was either black or white, there can obviously not be any variation during three thousand years, or along the Nile from Nubia to the Delta.

Worst are those fanatics who claim that all Native Americans are fake Siberian invaders or Filipino slaves and Chinese slaves who the whites placed in America to replace the original black peoples who instead got enslaved and became ancestors to African Americans.

Or a guy like @ShezmuOperative who thinks that all modern Egyptians should be expelled from Egypt and sent to the Middle East or other countries outside Africa.

Queen Kemet(itsnourry) most be returned to home and expelled from Africa!

Academics can also disagree about certain topics but the discussions are more reasonable and mostly remain in the realm of the plausible

--------------------

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great

I always found it crazy how ancient writers who would've lived during that time and would've seen Egyptians are boldly dismissed even in academia. Its to the point that historians like Herodotus are not just seen as "afrocentric" but are flat out vilified!

The debate about the credibility of ancient writers is an old one that is still going on. Also up here we have debates about for example Tacitus Germania and how useful it really is for understanding the history, ethnography and demography of the ancient Germanic tribes.

We once had a certain school of thought among Swedish historians (the so called Weibullian school) which was super critical towards ancient texts and dismissed many of them. The criteria they forwarded for assessments of those texts was rather hard and strict.

Nowadays historians up here have a more tolerant attitude towards the texts and try to find useful information in them.

When it concerns archaeologists some can be a bit uncritical about textual evidence while others do not trust claims in the texts that can not be corroborated by tangible archaeological findings.

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we’re on the topic of early Afroasiatic speakers in western Eurasia, I have found what appears to be evidence that the skin tones in Mesopotamian self-depictions got darker over time, starting with lighter brown or “orange” tones during Sumerian times and shifting to a darker red after the Semitic-speaking Akkadians become prominent. Maybe this reflects a migration of darker-skinned Afroasiatics into the Mesopotamian region?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7072 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And here is an interesting passage from Aeschylus's play 'The Suppliant Maidens' that Tukukler first cited..

A native of Argos, Greece makes this descriptive remark about the Libyan Dainades:

O stranger maids, I may not trust this word,
That ye have share in this our Argive race.
No likeness of our country do ye bear,
But semblance as of Libyan womankind.
Even such a stock by Nilus' banks might grow;
Yea, and the Cyprian stamp, in female forms,
Shows, to the life, what males impressed the same.
And, furthermore, of roving Indian maids
Whose camping-grounds by Aethiopia lie,
And camels burdened even as mules, and bearing
Riders, as horses bear, mine ears have heard;
And tales of flesh-devouring mateless maids
Called Amazons: to these, if bows ye bare
I most had deemed you like. Speak further yet,
That of your Argive birth the truth I learn.

Note all the peoples the Argive listed who match the dark/black appearance of the Dainades!

Thanks for that text. Did you notice that post-Minoan - Sedment cluster? It only happens in the male dendrogram (making it stand out, all the more). I'd have to look into it more closely to really form an opinion on what that cluster is about, but based on the the date ('post-Minoan') it could possibly relate to the Hellenic memory of Danaos as a patriarch of African settlers in the Aegean.

quote:
I know first hand from my college days how anthropology departments house many ideologues, some of whom have ideologies that are not much different from the Nazi Ahnenerbe! For example, I even had a professor who was a Solutreanist who believed Kennewick Man to be a lost Nordic ancestor! LOL The old guy even wore his hair long in Native American style even though he claims to be of pure Scandinavian descent.

It's funny to see you say that because I know the type, as well as some related types with predatory interests in Native American cultures.

Like I said in your Eurocentrism 101 thread that recently got stickied. These examples tend to fly under the public's radar because of the 'white is right' Eurocentrism, which causes the public to have blindspots to certain aggressions by members of white educational organizations, or, as in the case of the link above, blindspots to aggressions by whites with certain other types of 'expertise'.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yeah, that's the thing when Eurocentrism is not as "aggressive" or overt like a Nazi or something, it tends to get ignored. During my time as an undergrad student in the anthropology department I was well aware of the Solutrean Hypothesis and the type of mentality it entailed while other students were totally oblivious. I try to be as objective as I can about the situation and imagine how people would react if a black professor started dressing as a Meso-American person due to the Afro-Olmec Hypothesis. Suffice to say I have NEVER heard of the latter situation only the Pro-Solutrean professors.

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
And here is an interesting passage from Aeschylus's play 'The Suppliant Maidens' that Tukukler first cited..

A native of Argos, Greece makes this descriptive remark about the Libyan Dainades:

O stranger maids, I may not trust this word,
That ye have share in this our Argive race.
No likeness of our country do ye bear,
But semblance as of Libyan womankind.
Even such a stock by Nilus' banks might grow;
Yea, and the Cyprian stamp, in female forms,
Shows, to the life, what males impressed the same.
And, furthermore, of roving Indian maids
Whose camping-grounds by Aethiopia lie,
And camels burdened even as mules, and bearing
Riders, as horses bear, mine ears have heard;
And tales of flesh-devouring mateless maids
Called Amazons: to these, if bows ye bare
I most had deemed you like. Speak further yet,
That of your Argive birth the truth I learn.

Note all the peoples the Argive listed who match the dark/black appearance of the Dainades!

Thanks for that text. Did you notice that post-Minoan - Sedment cluster? It only happens in the male dendrogram (making it stand out, all the more). I'd have to look into it more closely to really form an opinion on what that cluster is about, but based on the the date ('post-Minoan') it could possibly relate to the Hellenic memory of Danaos as a patriarch of African settlers in the Aegean.
That's the thing. We never hear about what the actual situation was in the Aegean whether Neolithic or Bronze Age. When it comes to legends, we only hear about the Homeric Iliad and Odyssey but never about the 'Suppliant Maidens' or the lost epic Aethiopica. Speaking of which note how in the description of the Danaide, reference is made not only to Libyans and Nilotes, but Cyprians of Cyprus and Indians and Aethiopians, the latter are said to reside next to Indians which suggests this is NOT African Ethiopia but somewhere close to India whose people ride camels, mules, and horses. This sounds like Arabia. Not to mention the cannibalistic Amazons of Tritonis (the Maghreb).

Also, what do you make of the craniometric graph where very close to the origin are "Proto-Mediterraneans" (of Europe?) right next to Nubian-D. What's up with that? And note that Somalis are not too far away.

--------------------

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ Yeah, that's the thing when Eurocentrism is not as "aggressive" or overt like a Nazi or something, it tends to get ignored. During my time as an undergrad student in the anthropology department I was well aware of the Solutrean Hypothesis and the type of mentality it entailed while other students were totally oblivious. I try to be as objective as I can about the situation and imagine how people would react if a black professor started dressing as a Meso-American person due to the Afro-Olmec Hypothesis. Suffice to say I have NEVER heard of the latter situation only the Pro-Solutrean professors.

As far as the Solutrean Hypothesis, I'm glad that's resolved now. Though I do note that the issue was properly resolved with the aDNA testing of the actual samples that were involved in the controversy (ie Kennewick Man himself, not some other sample that was never considered to have Euro features). This is how it's supposed to be done.

This makes it all the more remarkable that they do not extend to Bernal and others who propose African ancestry in specific West Eurasian samples, that same courtesy. It's because they know they would lose. This is, I think, why essentially all the predynastic Egyptian and West Eurasian samples that were called out by pre-1970s generations of anthropologists for having strong resemblance to Africans, have not been DNA tested.

The only exception I can think of, is Hotu Cave, mentioned by Briggs as physically resembling certain North Africans. Judging by the unusually high levels of Basal Eurasian in this population, Briggs was correct and there is, in fact, something genetically different about this sample.

quote:
That's the thing. We never hear about what the actual situation was in the Aegean whether Neolithic or Bronze Age. When it comes to legends, we only hear about the Homeric Iliad and Odyssey but never about the 'Suppliant Maidens' or the lost epic Aethiopica. Speaking of which note how in the description of the Danaide, reference is made not only to Libyans and Nilotes, but Cyprians of Cyprus and Indians and Aethiopians, the latter are said to reside next to Indians which suggests this is NOT African Ethiopia but somewhere close to India whose people ride camels, mules, and horses. This sounds like Arabia. Not to mention the cannibalistic Amazons of Tritonis (the Maghreb).

Does not surprise me. The proto-anthro portions of the Old Testament have listed under Mizraim, tribes that modern scholars identify as linked to Cyprus and Crete.

As far as those horsemen you mentioned, pre-1970s anthropologists mention skeletal remains of 'Hamite-Indo European' hybrid populations.

Judging by the Afontova Gora II cranial fragment, the Upper Palreolithic population evidently must be assigned to the Mongoloid race. The Europeoid component begins to penetrate into certain areas during the Neolithic-especially into the southern part of the Krasnoyarsk Territory. Alekseev identifies in this latter area a morphologically Negroid type which would indicate contact with_ southern regions.
Russian Source Materials for the Racial History of Northern Eurasia
Author(s): Chester S. Chard
Source: Arctic Anthropology, Vol. 1, No. 1 (1962), pp. 117-125
(Originally posted by Evergreen)

These are the populations we see in the bible as Philistines (listed under Mizraim) and on Egyptian walls as mixed Hurrians and Sea Peoples, and in Herodotus as the Colchians. There is also of course the ragtag Habiru and Hyksos populations, who seem to be part of the same Bronze Age theme of hybridization, though in their case I'm not familiar with any possible African ancestry.

You might be interested to know that the dendrogram below, from Rosung 1990, is accompanied by another, larger, dendrogram, in which a relatively recent (Metal Age, I'm pretty sure, possibly Iron Age), Anatolian sample forms a cluster with a modern Ethiopian sample. So, like I said earlier on in this thread, we do, in fact, have samples that support the anthropology side of Bernal work (if not the linguistic side, or the notion of heavy cultural borrowing). This anthro part is exactly the part of his work that his critics insist has no archaeological support.

Dendrogram from Rosung 1990, reproduced by Barry Kemp

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ Dr. Sally Ann-Ashton of the Fitzwilliam Museum whom Ausar-Imhotep interviewed whose specialty was 'Classics' (Greco-Roman period) always said that there was a disconnect between her sub-field and the rest of Egyptology. I mean from what I can tell it was always a given the "black" identity of the Egyptians according to the Greeks and Romans yet there seems to be little to no talk about it. Dr. Ashton says that she and her peers were taught to never make a big deal about it which is strange considering that outside of her department "race" has always been an issue when it comes to the Egyptians.

To be honest I get sick and tired of the racial issue myself but it seems the Eurasiocentrics are hellbent on white-washing all of the Nile Valley not just Egypt.

Sally Ann-Ashton is driven by political motives and is far from being impartial. She describes her own blog as " African Centred Egyptology ". Literally 3/4 of her articles if not more revolve around the topics of race and skin color. She appears to have a rather unusual fixation on blacks.

I've previously demonstrated several times that the concept of "dark" or "black" in ancient Greco-Roman contexts encompassed individuals with a complexion simply darker than South Europeans, and it shouldn't be interpreted through a modern American lens. There is no unresolved "issue" concerning the racial identity of ancient Egyptians, as extensive literature in anthropology and genetics has already addressed this.

- Anthropological research indicates that ancient Egyptians displayed distinct morphological characteristics compared to most modern sub-Saharan populations. Moreover, modern Egyptian cranial metrics closely resemble those of predynastic and early dynastic Egyptians (what a surprise...).

- Genetic studies reveal no significant genetic affinity between ancient Egyptians and sub-Saharan Africans, but instead, they suggest closer genetic ties with populations in the Middle East, including those from the Old Kingdom era (this includes the hundred uniparental results we have).

And yet you want them to be lumped with "blacks" as we understand it today and who we now know to be drastically different ?

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sally Ann-Ashton is driven by political motives and is far from being impartial. She describes her own blog as " African Centred Egyptology ". Literally 3/4 of her articles if not more revolve around the topics of race and skin color. She appears to have a rather unusual fixation on blacks

Is that "pot calling the kettle Black?" Oops! I mean Afrocentric, I mean Black washing. Damn! I mean something Sub Sahara African.🙄🙄🙄

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dr. Rebecca Futo Kennedy, ancient north africans were "subsaharan africans". She also says Herodotus wrote that the "Ethiopians" were indigenous to north africa.

She also goes into detail about how north africa, egypt and the middle east were all whitewashed.

Classical historians were known to write about "Ethiopians" inhabiting the ancient Levant as well.

https://youtu.be/i-y9DVnHZsw?si=eaocyNxdR7Ktywff

-

Posts: 2498 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:

quote:
Antalas wrote:
Sally Ann-Ashton is driven by political motives and is far from being impartial. She describes her own blog as " African Centred Egyptology ". Literally 3/4 of her articles if not more revolve around the topics of race and skin color. She appears to have a rather unusual fixation on blacks

Is that "pot calling the kettle Black?" Oops! I mean Afrocentric, I mean Black washing. Damn! I mean something Sub Sahara African.🙄🙄🙄

Right! So whites classifying Africans as "caucasoid" or "white" for decades is no issue but when a few whites dare to say that's wrong, they were blacks then they have an "unusual fixation on blacks". LMAO [Big Grin]

And what of all the evidence that Swenet and I have brought up that not only were indigenous North Africans "black" but that they spilled out into Europe and Southwest Asia. Is that an unhealthy fixation with blacks too?? I take it Hebrew authors of the Bible and Greek authors like Aeschylus were "fixated on blacks" too since they described black people in neighboring regions. GTFOH [Big Grin]

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Interesting map with skin color variations among indigenous peoples in Africa. One can see that it is a bit patchy, thus do Egypt include 3 zones in a gradient from darker in the south to lighter skin in the north. One can wonder how the map would look like for c 7000 years ago, 5000 years ago, 4500 years ago or 3500 years ago?

Noteworthy is that San peoples in South Africa and Namibia are marked as having similar skin tones as people in parts of North Africa.

-

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes, the light complexions in those populations were once taken to be evidence of foreign admixture though uniparental lineages showed no evidence of such at least in Southern African Aboriginals. Then autosomal evidence came out in the form of Mota which lead to the belief that there was "massive back-migration" affecting even the Khoisan until it came out there was an error in the study. Not to mention studies in skin color genes show that the alleles for SLC245 in Africa were largely basal not the derived variety seen in Eurasians.

So light skin adaptation to polar areas of Africa should not be surprising.

-

Kabyle Berbers who were originally called 'tawny Moors' by Europeans
 -
 -

-
 -

-

'tawny' colored Aborigines of South Africa
 -

Of course none of this has any bearing on Greco-Roman and Hebrew descriptions of "black" peoples in neigbhoring countries including Egypt.

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Djehuti is unable to confront me since he knows I'm right and paintings he posted aren't even "kabyle berbers" but chaouis from the Aures or simply "algerian" but he probably doesn't even know the difference :

-
 -

Here is a youtube channel with thousand of videos of Kabyle berbers so people can see what they look like :

https://www.youtube.com/@berberetelevision/videos

Djehuti really has a hard time accepting the phenotypes of Berbers and I wonder why.

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
How dark must a people have been to be called "black" by the ancient authors? Here are some types of people that can be seen in the Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia (No 3) today. One can notice that all these skin colors are in fact represented in ancient Egyptian art, but in varying degree. There are more variations, this is only a sample.

-

When it comes to areas outside Africa. Here is a reconstruction of a man from what is today Israel during the time of Jesus. It is based on three skulls from the area. One can notice he is not snow white either. One can wonder how he would be described. The color of the reconstruction is based partly on ancient artwork and partly from now living populations in the Levant.

-

Today some people consider "black" being of a West African/ African American type. But the use of black can have varied.

Here is a comparison

A person from todays Israel, relatively dark, compared with an African American.

-

Today when many Westerners hear the word "black" they often imagine a person who looks something like the one below, a person with a more stereotypical West African look. It is doubtful that ancient Israel or ancient Greek, or ancient Colchis would have seen many people with this special phenotype.

-

So which specific types of black people did some of the ancient authors talk about?

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Here is a comparison between an ancient Egyptian painting and a modern farmer from outside Cairo. Not very different. So the idea that the ancient Egyptians just disappeared and was replaced by "white" invaders do not hold up. There have occurred mixing with immigrating and invading peoples but there are still people who seem to correspond with the ancient ones.

Also one could caution about making too many claims about todays North African populations and their phenotypes without having visited any of those countries. It is something one see a lot on the internet among people who in a confident tone tell us how North Africans look like. It can be hard to get a good overview based only on books or information from the net.

I have myself seen a lot of claims on the net that do not correspond at all with what I have seen in different countries. One claim I remember is that the Terracotta Warriors in Xían, China should depict black people and originally been painted black. I have seen them, some of them in close up and have them explained by Chinese archaeologists so those crazy claims on the net can only come from people who never visited China or saw those statues (or people who did but choose to lie about it).

-

--------------------

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Surprisingly astute commentary. Commentary on proto anthro portions of the bible and other ancient texts can sometimes be all over the place, but these portions are quite up to par in my view.

quote:
Caphtor

CAPHTOR.The region whence the Philistines came to Palestine (Amo 9:7, Jer 47:4). Hence in Deu 2:23 Caphtorim means the Philistines. In Gen 10:14 Caphtorim is used of the country itself in place of Caphtor; it should be placed in the text immediately after Casluhim. Many identifications of Caphtor have been attempted. The favourite theory has been that it means the island of Crete (cf. Cherethites). Next in favour is the view that Caphtor was the coast of the Egyptian Delta. It has also been identified with Cyprus. The correct theory is suggested by inscriptions of Ramses III. of Egypt (c [Note: circa, about.] . b.c. 1200), who tells of his having repelled a great invasion by enemies who had entered Syria and Palestine from the north. The leaders of these barbarians were called Purusati, which (Egyp. r being Sem. l) is equivalent to the Heh. Pelisht. Connecting these facts with the circumstance that the southern coast of Asia Minor, more especially Cilicia, was called Kefto or Kafto in the Egyptian inscriptions, it appears very probable that this Kafto and Caphtor are identical. The further conjecture might be hazarded that the writing of the Hebrew waw as a vowel-letter in an original Kafto gave rise to the additional rsh. Compare the similar case Ashkenaz.

https://www.biblia.work/dictionaries/caphtor/

quote:
The migration of the Philistines is mentioned or alluded to in all the passages speaking of Caphtor or the Caphtorim. It thus appears to have been an event of great importance, and this supposition receives support from the statement in Amos. In the lists of Genesis and Chronicles, as the text now stands, the Philistines are said to have come forth from the Casluhim ‘the Casluhim, whence came forth the Philistines and the Caphtorim’ where the Hebrews forbids us to suppose that the Philistines and Caphtorim both came from the Casluhim. Here there seems to have been a transposition, for the other passages are as explicit, or more so, and their form does not admit of this explanation. The period of the migration must have been very remote, since the Philistines were already established in Palestine in Abraham’s time (Gen 21:32; Gen 21:34).

The evidence of the Egyptian monuments, which is indirect tends to the same conclusion, but takes us yet farther back in time. It leads us to suppose that the Philistines and kindred nations were cognate to the Egyptians, but so different from them in manners that they must have separated before the character and institutions of the latter had attained that development in which they continued throughout the period to which their monuments belong. We find from the sculptures of Rameses III at Medinet Ab that the Egyptians, about 1200 B.C., were at war with the Philistines, the Tok-karu, and the Shayratana of the Sea, and that other Shayratana served them as mercenaries.: The Philistines and Tok-karu were physically cognate, and had the same distinctive dress; the Tokkaru and Shayratana were also physically cognate, and fought together in the same ships. There is reason to believe that the Tok-karu are the Carians, and the Shayratana have been held to be the Cherethim of the Bible and the earlier Cretans of the Greeks, inhabiting Crete, and probably the coast of Palestine also (Encyclop. Brit. s.v. Egypt, p. 462). All bear a greater resemblance to the Egyptians than does any other group of foreign peoples represented in their sculptures. This evidence points, therefore, to the spread of a seafaring race cognate to the Egyptians at a very remote time. Their origin is not alone spoken of in the record of the migration of the Philistines, but in the tradition of the Phoenicians that they came from the Erythraean Sea, SEE ARABIA, and we must look for the primeval seat of the whole race on the coasts of Arabia and Africa, where all ancient authorities lead us mainly to place the Cushites and the Ethiopians. SEE CUSH.

The difference of the Philistines from the Egyptians in dress and manners is, as we have seen, evident on the Egyptian monuments. From the Bible we learn that their laws and religion were likewise different from those of Egypt, and we may therefore consider our previous supposition as to the time of the separation of the peoples to which they belong to be positively true in their particular case. It is probable that they left Caphtor not long after the first arrival of the Mizraite tribes, while they had not yet attained that attachment to the soil that afterward so eminently characterized the descendants of those which formed the Egyptian nation. The words of the prophet Amos (9:7) seem to indicate a deliverance of the Philistines from bondage. The mention of the Ethiopians there is worthy of note: they are perhaps spoken of as a degraded people. The intention appears to be to show that Israel was not the only nation which had been providentially led from one country to another where it might settle, and the interposition would seem to imply oppression preceding the migration. It may be remarked that Manetho speaks of a revolt and return to allegiance of the Libyans, probably the Lehalim, or Lubim, from whose name Libya, etc., certainly came, in the reign of the first king of the third dynasty, Necherphs or Necherchis, in the earliest age of Egyptian history, B.C. cir. 2600 (Cory, Anc. Frao. 2d ed. p. 100, 101).” SEE PHILISTINE.

https://www.biblia.work/dictionaries/caphtor/

I agree especially w/ the bolded parts. Although I would add that these enclaves in the Aegean w/ Egyptian affinities weren't homogeneous populations, as I already stated above (e.g. the Sedment-post-Minoan Crete cluster does not appear in the female dendrogram). I also like that they don't fall in the trap of identifying these people with Minoans.

The fact that these people are not exactly Egyptians, but some kind of ancient (pre-unification?) offshoot is correctly pointed out by these authors, and it's why I hesitated to call them Egyptian in my first post in this thread. Egyptians did not like to leave their country for long periods, and they were not a seafaring nation (though they had ships, they did not have seagoing vessels AFAIK) and seem to have had a deep-seated taboo against dying in foreign lands. One of the quotes points this out:

It is probable that they left Caphtor not long after the first arrival of the Mizraite tribes, while they had not yet attained that attachment to the soil that afterward so eminently characterized the descendants of those which formed the Egyptian nation.

Egyptians were also concerned with their own affairs for the majority of the duration of the Egyptian civilization; they were oriented inwards and seemed to have only made a change in this regard after the 2nd intermediate period caused by the Hyksos and other factors. They differ from these Aegean colonists in all the above.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I would like to delve deeper into the topic of the Egyptians' own ancestry according to them in the Egyptology section. For now I will say that the Shemawy of Upper Egyptian admit to a dual ancestry-- Anu and Mesenitu. But then the Shemawy in the proto-dynastic texts documenting their conquest of the Delta also describe different ethne inhabiting the Delta as well with Tjehenu (Libyans) in the western part and Rekhety in the eastern part. There's no telling the extent Africans had in the Mediterranean basin itself. But since you're going by the Bible, according to Genesis Mizraim (Egypt) whose name suggests a plurality had 7 sons-- Ludim, Anamim, Lehabim, Naphtuhim, Pathrusim, Casluhim, and Caphtorim. Ludim is often said to be a scribal error of Lubim which suggests a Libyan tribe; Anamim is traced to a people in the western coast of the Delta, the Lehabim are unknown but are also identified with a Libyan group; Naphtuhim is unknown but Torah exegete Saadia Gaon identifies it with another area of the western delta; Pathrusim is identified with the area of "Pathros" which was an area of southern Upper Egypt from Asyut down to Elephantine; the Casluhim are a people of the eastern Delta who interestingly are said to be ancestral to the Philistines, by the way according to many Biblical experts there were 2 groups of Philistines-- an early Bronze Age group said to be allied with the Egyptians and whose king welcomed Abraham and Sarah, and a later Iron Age group who were enemies of the Israelites and identified with Aegean people; Caphtor is the only the only positively identified with an island somewhere in the Mediterranean but it's uncertain where.
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
In a future where more extensive comparative genetic studies can be conducted in Egypt, we may find out more details about different ancestry and different groups relatedness to each other. For example which differences could one see in the genetics of people in upper Egypt and people in the Delta? There is work being done in the Delta where Neolithic sites are found and excavated. Also skeletons are found. But it seems no genetic studies have been done yet. We will see if Egyptian authorities will allow such studies in the future.
quote:
This article provides an overview of the first results from the archaeological fieldwork ­conducted at Tell el-Samara by a joint IFAO and Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities mission. Located in the eastern Nile Delta, Tell el-Samara was a settlement inhabited from the late 5h millennium BCE to the end of the Early Dynastic period. The renewed archaeological investigations on the tell have uncovered the remains of one of the most ancient villages known so far in Egypt—providing detailed insights into the onset of Neolithic economy and sedentary village life in Lower Egypt. They have also revealed a continuous occupation sequence from the Neolithic period to the advent of the 1st Dynasty, which provides relevant data on the emergence and further development of a regional culture in the Nile Delta prior to the rise of a monarchy and the political unification of Egypt at the turn of the fourth and 3rd millennium BCE.
Investigating the Nile Delta’s First Settlements: Excavations at Tell el-Samara 2016-2019 BIFAO 2022

Oldest Neolithic village in Egypt’s Nile Delta uncovered - Egypt Independent 2018

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
Here is a comparison between an ancient Egyptian painting and a modern farmer from outside Cairo. Not very different. So the idea that the ancient Egyptians just disappeared and was replaced by "white" invaders do not hold up. There have occurred mixing with immigrating and invading peoples but there are still people who seem to correspond with the ancient ones.

Also one could caution about making too many claims about todays North African populations and their phenotypes without having visited any of those countries. It is something one see a lot on the internet among people who in a confident tone tell us how North Africans look like. It can be hard to get a good overview based only on books or information from the net.

I have myself seen a lot of claims on the net that do not correspond at all with what I have seen in different countries. One claim I remember is that the Terracotta Warriors in Xían, China should depict black people and originally been painted black. I have seen them, some of them in close up and have them explained by Chinese archaeologists so those crazy claims on the net can only come from people who never visited China or saw those statues (or people who did but choose to lie about it).

-

The man on the right has completely different facial features than what is shown in the painting.
Posts: 2498 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
quote:

-

The man on the right has completely different facial features than what is shown in the painting.
You can find different facial features also in todays Egypt. And you can find facial features in ancient paintings that correspond with todays Egyptians. All Egyptians in antiquity did not look the same, and all Egyptians today do not look the same either. Just visit a museum with Egyptian sculptures and you can see for yourself. One can find statues which correspond with Egyptians today.

I do not think I have to post a lot of examples since I am sure you already seen them.

Which are your nearest museum that holds Ancient Egyptian art? Sometimes it is good to see ancient art in real life, not only on the net.

I did not make the collage, what the maker of that collage wanted to compare was skin color.

The collage is taken from this video

Will the REAL EGYPTIANS stand up! (ancient vs modern egyptians)

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Colorlines in Classical North Africa

Anyway, Dr. Futo like many other Classicists make it clear that the so-called 'colorline' separating 'white' from 'black' did not begin "south of the Sahara" as many Euronuts would have everyone believe but began in the Mediterranean Sea.

"Colorline" is not a word and "color line" strongly connotes racial segregation which did not apply to North Africa and the term "Classical North Africa" is also dubious. The word "Classical" strongly implies Greco-Roman but too vaguely. If the intent is "color lines in Greek and Roman colonies in North Africa" that should be spelled out

Greek and Roman "Classical" writers described the color of certain ethnic groups but they did not have the two part categories "white people" and "black people"
(similarly "whites" and "blacks")
although you might find people described as black skinned

A two part classification system did not exist in Classical writing. It's offensive to even read the the title "Colorlines in Classical North Africa"

quote:

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

color line
noun
variants US color line or British colour line
pluralcolor lines
: a set of societal or legal barriers that segregates people of color from white people (as by restricting social interaction or requiring separate facilities) and prevents people of color from exercising the same rights and accessing the same opportunities as white people —usually used with the

His father … had grown up in California with Jackie Robinson, who broke the color line in Major League Baseball.
—Maureen O'Donnell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Futo_Kennedy

Rebecca Futo Kennedy is Associate Professor of Classics, Women's and Gender Studies, and Environmental Studies at Denison University, and the Director of the Denison Museum.[1] Her research focuses on the political, social, and cultural history of Classical Athens, Athenian tragedy, ancient immigration, ancient theories of race and ethnicity, and the reception of those theories in modern race science.

Kennedy completed her BA in Classical Studies at the University of California, San Diego in 1997 and PhD at the Ohio State University in 2003, with a thesis entitled Athena/Athens on Stage: Athena in the Tragedies of Aeschylus and Sophocles

She titles a blog entry "Colorlines in Classical North Africa"

and we are supposed to think this racial segregation, white vs black term "color line" was part of Greco-Roman culture
and the rationalization is Futo- Kennedy's argument that Greeks and Romans, she claims, regarded all natives of Africa as "black people".

Thus she is saying the ancient Egyptians were "black people" according to Greek and Roman authors and they had a white/black color line, the Mediterranean Sea

Posts: 42923 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

@archeotypery

Why use an image that just compares skin color instead of both skin color and facial features? It's almost as if you're not trying to make a 100% comparison for some reason.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
^ ^ I recommend you to go to a museum and look at the art. After that you can judge for yourself.

Best for you would be to actually go to Egypt and compare people there with the art you see in the museums. Soon the Grand Egyptian Museum opens, there you will be able to see all kinds of Egyptian art.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:

So what?! They're both 'black' people by today's standards. If you're hung up on something as trivial as facial features then you're going to lose to the Euronut warriors.

quote:

In a future where more extensive comparative genetic studies can be conducted in Egypt, we may find out more details about different ancestry and different groups relatedness to each other. For example which differences could one see in the genetics of people in upper Egypt and people in the Delta? There is work being done in the Delta where Neolithic sites are found and excavated. Also skeletons are found. But it seems no genetic studies have been done yet. We will see if Egyptian authorities will allow such studies in the future.
quote:
This article provides an overview of the first results from the archaeological fieldwork ­conducted at Tell el-Samara by a joint IFAO and Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities mission. Located in the eastern Nile Delta, Tell el-Samara was a settlement inhabited from the late 5h millennium BCE to the end of the Early Dynastic period. The renewed archaeological investigations on the tell have uncovered the remains of one of the most ancient villages known so far in Egypt—providing detailed insights into the onset of Neolithic economy and sedentary village life in Lower Egypt. They have also revealed a continuous occupation sequence from the Neolithic period to the advent of the 1st Dynasty, which provides relevant data on the emergence and further development of a regional culture in the Nile Delta prior to the rise of a monarchy and the political unification of Egypt at the turn of the fourth and 3rd millennium BCE.
Investigating the Nile Delta’s First Settlements: Excavations at Tell el-Samara 2016-2019 BIFAO 2022

Oldest Neolithic village in Egypt’s Nile Delta uncovered - Egypt Independent 2018

The skeletal remains of the Delta have already been classified as African.

..sample populations available from northern Egypt from before the 1st Dynasty (Merimda, Maadi and Wadi Digla) turn out to be significantly different from sample populations from early Palestine and Byblos, suggesting a lack of common ancestors over a long time. If there was a south-north cline variation along the Nile valley it did not, from this limited evidence, continue smoothly on into southern Palestine. The limb-length proportions of males from the Egyptian sites group them with Africans rather than with Europeans.
[Barry Kemp, "Ancient Egypt Anatomy of a Civilisation". (2005) Routledge. p.52-60]

As far as genetics is concerned, uniparentals show them to be overwhelmingly African (Y-DNA E-M35 & mt M1 and L2). The only thing left is autosomal DNA which is the only thing left in debate and for obvious reasons. The autosomal DNA shows Natufian/Neolithic Levantine affiliations which many identify as "Eurasian".

Yet as Ethio-Helix has pointed out:
quote:

That's a 3D interactive PCA (Principal Component Analysis) based on autosomal SNPs made by David Wesolowski who authors the Eurogenes genome blog and ancestry project. What's particularly interesting to me about it are the PCA positions of the Natufians and the Neolithic Levantines... With the *former group pulling southwards toward African populations such as North, East & West-Central Africans.*

Eurogenes ANE K7

ENF: 77%
WHG-UHG: 16%
East African: 8%

Hunter_Gatherer vs. Farmer

Middle Eastern Herder: 64%
Mediterranean Farmer: 30%
East African Pastoralist: 7%

Eurogenes K12b

Southwest Asian: 54%
Mediterranean: 38%

That pull along with the above ADMIXTURE results (via Gedmatch) of one Natufian seem to contradict what Lazaridis et al. was saying about the Natufians lacking African admixture but I would caution against using modern PCA positions (like those of Bedouins) and, of course, modern ADMIXTURE runs (with modern clusters based on modern genetic diversity) to gauge how "African" or "Eurasian/Out-of-Africa" an ~11,000-14,000 year old population was.

I.e. These Natufians are, of course, not "Southwest Asian" + "Mediterranean" but, instead, they're just showing the greatest affinity for these modern clusters. As in, populations probably quite like them to some degree; contributed to the formation of clusters like Southwest Asian & Mediterranean. But, it's still strange that they'd show such an affinity for an African cluster like the East African one.

It's not strange at all if one remembers that there was greater genetic diversity among human populations before the Holocene than today and such was likely the case as it pertains to African populations.

Remember that ANA (Ancestral North African) was originally mistaken to be "Eurasian" as well. LOL It's only going to be a matter of time that this Natufain/Levantine Neolithic as the only hope left of "Hamitic Hypothesis" fails.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Have the Neolithic delta populations been genetically sequenced? I think of the finds which was made 2016 to 2019 in for example Tell el-Samara mentioned above. Maybe I just missed those studies.

One can also wonder why there was no discernible link to the Levant? There has been found Neolithic sites on the Sinai peninsula, both in north and also in the southern part. Did the gene flow in some way stop there?

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@Djehuti

@Archeotypery

The point I'm making is that just because someone is "black" does not mean they are the same people in the ancient paintings.

East indian people could be considered "black" by today's standards but no one would dare say they are the same people in the ancient egyptian artwork.

If you're going to try asserting a certain people group in modern times is the same as the ancient egyptians then why not use an example that has both the same skin color and facial features as the artwork in question?

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

The man on the right has completely different facial features than what is shown in the painting. So what?! They're both 'black' people by today's standards. If you're hung up on something as trivial as facial features then you're going to lose to the Euronut warriors.

No that egyptian would be seen as "arab" by most europeans and blacks living in the West.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti: The skeletal remains of the Delta have already been classified as African.

..sample populations available from northern Egypt from before the 1st Dynasty (Merimda, Maadi and Wadi Digla) turn out to be significantly different from sample populations from early Palestine and Byblos, suggesting a lack of common ancestors over a long time. If there was a south-north cline variation along the Nile valley it did not, from this limited evidence, continue smoothly on into southern Palestine. The limb-length proportions of males from the Egyptian sites group them with Africans rather than with Europeans.
[Barry Kemp, "Ancient Egypt Anatomy of a Civilisation". (2005) Routledge. p.52-60]

As usual, you are twisting the authors' statements. You are essentially implying the existence of a single, uniform "African" pattern, even though both you and I are well aware of the significant morphological differences between ancient NAs and SSAs.

As for Northern Egyptians, Neolithic Merimde shows affinities with the Levant and late dynastic egyptians :

quote:
The Merimde specimens were tall, with a mean femur length in males of 47.1 cms, compared to 43.6cm at Maadi and 44.7 cm at Byblos (Fig 6.2). They also had long narrow crania, moderately long faces and narrow noses. The last two features distinguish them from Predynastic populations and align them more closely both with later Dynastic populations and with the southern Levant (fig. 6.3). Beck and Klug (1990) described the Maadi and Wadi Digla samples as showing long narrow crania and short faces similar to those of other Predynastic sites in Egypt, but resembling some sites in the Levant in nasal and orbital characteristics.
P. Smith, The Palaeo-Biological evidence for admixture between populations in the southern levant and Egypt in the fourth to third millenia BCE, 2002

Your "African" affinity is primarily a result of limb proportions, which we both know are not determined by genetic similarity but rather by adaptations to the climate :

quote:
Limb length proportions in males from Maadi and Merimde group them with African rather than European populations. [...] reinforcing the impression of an african rather than a levantine affinity.
P. Smith, The Palaeo-Biological evidence for admixture between populations in the southern levant and Egypt in the fourth to third millenia BCE, 2002

quote:
The elongation of the distal segments of the limbs is also clearly related to the dissipation of metabolically generated heat . Since heat stress and latitude are clearly related, one would expect to find a correlation between the two sets of traits that are associated with adaptation to survival in areas of great ambient temperature-namely skin color and limb proportions. This is clearly the case in such areas as equatorial Africa, the tropical portions of South Asia, and northern Australia, although there is little covariation with other sets of inherited traits. In this regard, it is interesting to note that the limb proportions of the Predynastic Naqada people in Upper Egypt are reported to be “super-negroid,” meaning that the distal segments are elongated in the fashion of tropical Africans (Robins and Shute, 1986). It would be just as accurate to call them “super-Veddoid or “superCarpentarian” since skin color intensification and distal limb elongation is apparent wherever people have been long-term residents of the tropics. The term “supertropical” would be better since it implies the results of selection associated with a given latitude rather than the more “racially loaded” term “negroid.
Brace, C. L. et al. 1993. Clines and Clusters Versus "Race": A Test in Ancient Egypt and the Case of a Death on the Nile. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology 36:1-31.

Again Maadi and Wadi Digla show affinity with the Southern Levant and Egyptians :

quote:
Morphologically, both groups belong to a relatively robust type.…Differences between the Maadi and Wadi Digla series in regard to metric features could not be statistically proven. The results of the supraregional population comparison pointed to similarities with the Palestinian area [Gaza, Israel, the West Bank] in regard to several metric variables …though a clear relationship with Egyptian comparison groups was demonstratable.
https://ehrafarchaeology.yale.edu/traditions/mr60/documents/018

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti: As far as genetics is concerned, uniparentals show them to be overwhelmingly African (Y-DNA E-M35 & mt M1 and L2). The only thing left is autosomal DNA which is the only thing left in debate and for obvious reasons. The autosomal DNA shows Natufian/Neolithic Levantine affiliations which many identify as "Eurasian".
Once again, you are providing misleading information to him. These uniparental genetic markers are still present in modern Egypt. Furthermore, the majority of uniparental markers extracted from ancient Egyptian remains are predominantly Eurasian :

quote:
However, nearly all of the remains excavated in the Northern part of the continent belong to Eurasian mtDNA lineages [63,67,74,89,90]. [74]). In fact, of the 114 mtDNA genomes now available from northern African ancient human remains, only one belongs to an African lineage (L3 observed in a skeleton from Abusir el-Meleq The deep presence of Eurasian mtDNA lineages in Northern Africa has, therefore, been clearly established with these recent reports and offers further support for the authenticity of the Eurasian mtDNA sequence observed in the Djehutynakht mummy
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4425/9/3/135/htm

Results are similar for an upcoming paper spanning 4000 years of History :

quote:
We now focus on widening the geographic scope to give a general overview of the population genetic background, focusing on mitochondrial haplogroups present among the whole Egyptian Nile River Valley. We collected 81 tooth, hair, bone, and soft tissue samples from 14 mummies and 17 skeletal remains. The samples span approximately 4000 years of Egyptian history and originate from six different excavation sites covering the whole length of the Egyptian Nile River Valley. NGS based ancient DNA 8 were applied to reconstruct 18 high-quality mitochondrial genomes from 10 different individuals. The determined mitochondrial haplogroups match the results from our Abusir el-Meleq study . Our results indicate very low rates of modern DNA contamination independent of the tissue type.
https://isba9.sciencesconf.org/data/pages/Abstract_Book_ISBA9_2022.pdf

quote:
The proposed sibling relationship between Tutankhamun’s parents, KV55 (Akhenaten) and KV35YL, is further supported. The royal lineage is composed of the Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b and the mitochondrial haplogroup K. Population genetics point to a common origin at ca. 14. 000–28. 000 years before present locating to the Near East.
https://www.docdroid.net/EC8uFeh/gad-et-al-hawass-fs-final-2020-pdf#page=11

quote:
The great-grandfather of Tutankhamun, Yuya, carries a Y-chromosomal signature that could be assigned to the haplogroup G2a. Haplogroup G is an F-affiliated clade (Luis et al. 2004, 532–544; Wood et al. 2005, 867–876), and it is defined by the mutation M201 (Cinnioǧlu et al. 2004, 127–148; Luis et al. 2004, 532–544; Wood et al. 2005, 867–876; Karafet et al. 2008, 830–838). This clade is not globally abundant, and its prevalence is mainly in the Middle East (highest in Druze), the Mediterranean basin and Caucasus Mountains where it exhibits its maximum frequency (Cinnioǧlu et al. 2004, 127–148; Karafet et al. 2008, 830–838; Balanovsky et al. 2011, 18255–18259; Lacan et al. 2011, 2905–2920). The pattern of this haplogroup distribution in the Caucasus suggests a Near Eastern origin (Cinnioǧlu et al. 2004, 127–148; Balanovsky et al. 2011, 18255–18259). The genetic share of the F-affiliated groups (G, H, I, J) is around 40% of the modern Egyptians, with G-M201 representing approximately 9% of the population (Luis et al. 2004, 532–544).
https://www.docdroid.net/EC8uFeh/gad-et-al-hawass-fs-final-2020-pdf#page=22

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti: Yet as Ethio-Helix has pointed out:
quote:

That's a 3D interactive PCA (Principal Component Analysis) based on autosomal SNPs made by David Wesolowski who authors the Eurogenes genome blog and ancestry project. What's particularly interesting to me about it are the PCA positions of the Natufians and the Neolithic Levantines... With the *former group pulling southwards toward African populations such as North, East & West-Central Africans.*

Eurogenes ANE K7

ENF: 77%
WHG-UHG: 16%

Hunter_Gatherer vs. Farmer

Middle Eastern Herder: 64%
Mediterranean Farmer: 30%
East African Pastoralist: 7%

Eurogenes K12b

Southwest Asian: 54%
Mediterranean: 38%

That pull along with the above ADMIXTURE results (via Gedmatch) of one Natufian seem to contradict what Lazaridis et al. was saying about the Natufians lacking African admixture but I would caution against using modern PCA positions (like those of Bedouins) and, of course, modern ADMIXTURE runs (with modern clusters based on modern genetic diversity) to gauge how "African" or "Eurasian/Out-of-Africa" an ~11,000-14,000 year old population was.

I.e. These Natufians are, of course, not "Southwest Asian" + "Mediterranean" but, instead, they're just showing the greatest affinity for these modern clusters. As in, populations probably quite like them to some degree; contributed to the formation of clusters like Southwest Asian & Mediterranean. But, it's still strange that they'd show such an affinity for an African cluster like the East African one.

It's not strange at all if one remembers that there was greater genetic diversity among human populations before the Holocene than today and such was likely the case as it pertains to African populations.

Remember that ANA (Ancestral North African) was originally mistaken to be "Eurasian" as well. LOL It's only going to be a matter of time that this Natufain/Levantine Neolithic as the only hope left of "Hamitic Hypothesis" fails. [/QB]

Lmao what you posted literally shows that their african admixture was extremely low ...Modern North Africans literally have more XD

Natufian ancestry peaks in modern day arabs and Natufians didn't cluster with any SSA population :

-

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Djehuti

The question of Egyptian self-identity is in my view a complex subject that has a lot of loose ends that would benefit from the excavation of more texts. And even then there may be no guarantee they are going to reflect anthropological reality. For instance, if the phrase T3 Ntr has literal anthro value, parts of Syria (and southern lands on both sides of the Red Sea) could potentially have been considered by AE as ancestral land at some point in their history, by some members of Egyptian society. In that case one would find a self-identity that has drifted from anthropological reality possibly due religious reasons (e.g. they procrured sacred timber and incense from Lebanon). Then there is the unique social organization of Egyptian society around nomes, where different nomes may have had self-identities and myths and legends co-existing even though being in contradiction.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ If Kmt was a multi-ethnic state, which it was then of course there are going to be some contradictions. However, I am going by the primary literature from Ta-Shemawy which make specific claims against the popular dynastic/Hamitic narrative. Speaking of which...
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:

Lmao what you posted literally shows that their african admixture was extremely low ...Modern North Africans literally have more XD

Natufian ancestry peaks in modern day arabs and Natufians didn't cluster with any SSA population :

-

Antalas, nobody with moderate intelligence is falling for the the "SSA" a.k.a. IBD Yoruban strawman.

By your logic then, northeast Siberians (and their Eskimo cousins across the straits) have no East Asian ancestry as well if that is to be identified with Chinese.

-

-

LMAO indeed! [Big Grin] It seems the only one you're fooling is yourself!

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
@Djehuti

The question of Egyptian self-identity is in my view a complex subject that has a lot of loose ends that would benefit from the excavation of more texts. And even then there may be no guarantee they are going to reflect anthropological reality. For instance, if the phrase T3 Ntr has literal anthro value, parts of Syria (and southern lands on both sides of the Red Sea) could potentially have been considered by AE as ancestral land at some point in their history, by some members of Egyptian society. In that case one would find a self-identity that has drifted from anthropological reality possibly due religious reasons (e.g. they procrured sacred timber and incense from Lebanon). Then there is the unique social organization of Egyptian society around nomes, where different nomes may have had self-identities and myths and legends co-existing even though being in contradiction.

This is a good point you raise here. Myths and legends can sometimes refer to real phenomena, but they shouldn’t always be taken at face value. A vocal number of Native Americans in the US don’t like the idea that their ancestors came from anywhere outside the Americas since that contradicts certain creation myths of theirs. Now, while I can understand why indigenous people might not like condescending White anthropologists contradicting them on their own past, you have to admit Natives had to have come from somewhere outside the Americas if they are human like the rest of us.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
There are always people among all ethnic groups who are not fond of scientific explanations regarding ancestry, history and different natural phenomena. Thus it is many people (not least in USA) who deny that we humans are a product of evolution.

And a few individuals even believe that the Earth is flat.

It is a bit pity that the original creation myths among many people are disappearing while the Judeo-Christian (and Islamic) versions still are upheld by so many.

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Going back to the topic of possible proto-Afroasiatic enclaves in the Aegean and nearby regions, I remember Djehuti saying that proto-Semitic in western Asia likely descended from a larger complex of Afroasiatic offshoots that had colonized the region from northeast Africa. If that is the case, it could be that this complex from which proto-Semitic (pre-proto-Semitic?) evolved ranged wider and farther across southwestern Eurasia than commonly supposed.

Either that, or some of those enclaves were trading outposts which far-ranging populations of predynastic Nile Valley origin established.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:
@Djehuti

This is a good point you raise here. Myths and legends can sometimes refer to real phenomena, but they shouldn’t always be taken at face value. A vocal number of Native Americans in the US don’t like the idea that their ancestors came from anywhere outside the Americas since that contradicts certain creation myths of theirs. Now, while I can understand why indigenous people might not like condescending White anthropologists contradicting them on their own past, you have to admit Natives had to have come from somewhere outside the Americas if they are human like the rest of us.
We all have our etiological myths. Even those very same anthropologists have in their textbooks Neanderthals as 'cousins' of AMH, when in reality they are differentiated from Sima de Los Huesos predecessors in having tremendous amounts of sapiens ancestry. Or Ust Ishim possibly having the blue eye mutation at 45ky ago, according to the recent Russian article, which is dangerously close to the 55ky OOA date, indicating it did not originate with WHG and that we may need introgression to explain this trait if that remaining 10ky time window keeps shortening. Etc.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Antalas, nobody with moderate intelligence is falling for the the "SSA" a.k.a. IBD Yoruban strawman.

By your logic then, northeast Siberians (and their Eskimo cousins across the straits) have no East Asian ancestry as well if that is to be identified with Chinese.

LMAO indeed! [Big Grin] It seems the only one you're fooling is yourself!

What are you even talking about ? It's quite interesting how you seem to be overlooking all the evidence I've presented. Anyway nobody has denied that Natufians had some "African" admixture. As usual you're employing a straw man argument here. As I mentioned before, their African ancestry is actually quite minimal, even lower than mine XD. They cluster more closely with modern Middle Easterners and even Europeans than SSAs. Yet, you persist in portraying them as if they were more closely related to the latter.
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Or Ust Ishim possibly having the blue eye mutation at 45ky ago, according to the recent Russian article, which is dangerously close to the 55ky OOA date, indicating it did not originate with WHG and that we may need introgression to explain this trait if that remaining 10ky time window keeps shortening. Etc.

I once drew an Aurignacian person with blue eyes, and a criticism I got was that blue eyes in modern humans would have evolved much more recently in the Black Sea area. Finding out that there were blue eyes among UP Eurasians that far back feels vindicating for me. Would be nice to see if its presence in modern Europeans is the result of admixture with another hominin population (Neanderthals, perhaps?).

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:
Or Ust Ishim possibly having the blue eye mutation at 45ky ago, according to the recent Russian article, which is dangerously close to the 55ky OOA date, indicating it did not originate with WHG and that we may need introgression to explain this trait if that remaining 10ky time window keeps shortening. Etc.

I once drew an Aurignacian person with blue eyes, and a criticism I got was that blue eyes in modern humans would have evolved much more recently in the Black Sea area. Finding out that there were blue eyes among UP Eurasians that far back feels vindicating for me. Would be nice to see if its presence in modern Europeans is the result of admixture with another hominin population (Neanderthals, perhaps?).
It could also be from AMH already in Eurasia who may have interacted with archaics that may have no longer been around by the time mtDNA N moved into Eurasia 55ky ago. The known upper limit of AMH presence in Eurasia is 410ky as indicated by TMRCA of the Neanderthal mtDNA replacement. Since they keep finding them (latest hype is Dragon Man) who knows what archaics, hybrids and AMH survivals were around then.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More evidence that so-called "colorlines" were in the Mediterranean itself.

Each Mediterranean Island has its own Genetic Pattern (2020)
Researchers reconstruct migration movements through ancient DNA

The Mediterranean Sea has been a major route for maritime migrations as well as frequent trade and invasions during prehistory, yet the genetic history of the Mediterranean islands is not well documented despite recent developments in the study of ancient DNA. An international team led by researchers from the University of Vienna, Harvard University and University of Florence, Italy, is filling in the gaps with the largest study to date of the genetic history of ancient populations of Sicily, Sardinia and the Balearic Islands, increasing the number of individuals with reported data from 5 to 66.

The results reveal a complex pattern of immigration from Africa, Asia and Europe which varied in direction and its timing for each of these islands. For Sicily the article reports on a new ancestry during the Middle Bronze Age that chronologically overlaps with the Greek Mycenaean trade network expansion.

Sardinians descend from Neolithic farmers

A very different story is unraveled in the case of Sardinia. Despite contacts and trade with other Mediterranean populations, ancient Sardinians retained a mostly local Neolithic ancestry profile until the end of the Bronze Age. However, during the second half of the 3rd millennium BC, one of the studied individuals from Sardinia has a large proportion of North African ancestry. Taken together with previous results of a contemporary central Iberian individual and a later 2nd mill. BC Bronze Age individual from Iberia, it clearly shows prehistoric maritime migrations across the Mediterranean Sea from North Africa to locations in southern Europe, affecting more than 1 percent of individuals reported in the ancient DNA literature from this region and time to date.

"Our results show that maritime migrations from North Africa started long before the era of the eastern Mediterranean seafaring civilizations and moreover were occurring in multiple parts of the Mediterranean", says Ron Pinhasi, a co-senior author of the Department of Evolutionary Anthropology, University of Vienna.

During the Iron Age expansion and establishment of Greek and Phoenician colonies in the West Mediterranean islands, the two Sardinian individuals analyzed from that period had little, if any, ancestry from the previous long-established populations. "Surprisingly, our results show that despite these population fluxes and mixtures, modern Sardinians retained between 56-62 percent of ancestry from the first Neolithic farmers that arrived in Europe around 8000 years ago", says David Caramelli a co-senior author, and Director of Department of Biology at the University of Florence.

Migration from the Iberian Peninsula documented

"One of the most striking findings is about the arrival of ancestry from the Steppe north of the Black and Caspian Seas in some of the Mediterranean islands. While the ultimate origin of this ancestry was Eastern Europe, in the Mediterranean islands it arrived at least in part from the west, namely from Iberia", says David Reich, a co-senior author at Harvard University, who is also an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. "This was likely the case for the Balearic Islands, in which some early residents probably derived at least part of their ancestry from Iberia", says first author Daniel Fernandes, of the Department of Evolutionary Anthropology, University of Vienna.

You can read the full paper here: The spread of steppe and Iranian-related ancestry in the islands of the western Mediterranean

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway nobody has denied that Natufians had some "African" admixture. As usual you're employing a straw man argument here. As I mentioned before, their African ancestry is actually quite minimal, even lower than mine XD. They cluster more closely with modern Middle Easterners and even Europeans than SSAs. Yet, you persist in portraying them as if they were more closely related to the latter.

-

-

This suggests Natufians were around 50% of African (male side) ancestry genetically

Posts: 42923 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
More evidence that so-called "colorlines" were in the Mediterranean itself.

A "colorline" is a modern racist concept and you should stop promoting it
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Please stop with the stupid straw dolls. I'm not promoting the concept of 'colorlines' just a scholar's web article that gives a different take to the actually racist views that academia traditionally had.

quote:

What are you even talking about? It's quite interesting how you seem to be overlooking all the evidence I've presented. Anyway nobody has denied that Natufians had some "African" admixture. As usual you're employing a straw man argument here. As I mentioned before, their African ancestry is actually quite minimal, even lower than mine XD. They cluster more closely with modern Middle Easterners and even Europeans than SSAs. Yet, you persist in portraying them as if they were more closely related to the latter.

That you don't know what I mean by the post I made on Asian genetic diversity shows that either you are just dumb OR suffering from severe denial. Your pigeonholing African genetic diversity is the same as one claiming that Evenks and Inuit are not Asian because autosomally they are totally different from Chinese. Nobody uses Chinese as representative of East Asian the way Yoruba IDB is used for all Sub-Saharans let alone Africans in general.

-

^ Note the wide autosomal distance between black Australasians and black Andamanese despite the close geographic distance. And of course the samples labeled "Africans" on the left corner are actually South Africans with West African between the former and North Africans. So just give up. You lost when you began posting in this forum! LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
That you don't know what I mean by the post I made on Asian genetic diversity shows that either you are just dumb OR suffering from severe denial. Your pigeonholing African genetic diversity is the same as one claiming that Evenks and Inuit are not Asian because autosomally they are totally different from Chinese. Nobody uses Chinese as representative of East Asian the way Yoruba IDB is used for all Sub-Saharans let alone Africans in general.

^ Note the wide autosomal distance between black Australasians and black Andamanese despite the close geographic distance. And of course the samples labeled "Africans" on the left corner are actually South Africans with West African between the former and North Africans. So just give up. You lost when you began posting in this forum! LOL [Big Grin] [/QB]

What does Yoruba have anything to do with this ? Why do you bring south/west african clusters ? This was by no means the focus of my post. It's important to recognize that if two populations are genetically distant, they are indeed genetically differentiated, regardless of their physical resemblances or geographical proximity.

Returning to the topic and my main point, as we can observe, Natufians are notably distant from any African population. Even modern North Africans, including myself, exhibit a closer genetic affinity with SSAs than Natufians :

-

Now, go fetch those African figs found in the Middle East and the 6% omotic ancestry...

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ "Natufians are notably distant from any African populations." Any?? So now the Moroccan Iberomaurusian and Moroccan EN in your map are not Africans either?! Where do you think Natufians got their African figs from as well as their African custom of tooth avulsion??

-

I suggest you stop posting in this blog or any blog for that matter and seek psychiatric help.

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
^ "Natufians are notably distant from any African populations." Any?? So now the Moroccan Iberomaurusian and Moroccan EN in your map are not Africans either?!

-

I suggest you stop posting in this blog or any blog for that matter and seek psychiatric help.

Yes natufians are notably distant from my iberomaurusian ancestors too :

-

quote:
Although, ADMIXTURE analysis pointed to some relationship between IAM and Levantine aDNA samples, especially the Natufians, this is not supported by FST distances .
https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/suppl/2018/06/11/1800851115.DCSupplemental/pnas.1800851115.sapp.pdf

Iberomaurusians appear closer to Natufians primarily due to shared ancestry and their non-African ancestry. You're totally humiliated once again and you can't deny the genetic distinction between Natufians and Africans is undeniable. You won't manipulate and africanize/blackwash our ancestors to fit your narrative, attempting to appropriate them and dismiss all the genetic and anthropological evidence.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

charts should have citation attached
otherwise it could be fake

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes Natufians are notably distant from my Iberomaurusian ancestors too:

-

Yet they are still much closer to each other than West African Yoruba and Bantu speaking Himba of South Africa!

-

But you have no problem putting both Yoruba and Himba together into a monolithic "Sub-Saharan" grouping!

I thought it was made clear to you before but here it is again from Ethio-helix's article Human Genetic Diversity ≠ Discrete or Pure Races:

Nevertheless, I suppose one could argue that certain populations are genuinely "discrete" in that they have not shared certain ancestries in well over 35,000 years. For instance, this can be said about West-Central Africans when compared to East Asians but here things do get a bit dicey as well since, while you can assume they're discrete from one another, they themselves are probably not, to some great extent, "pure" or mostly pure entities.

By that I mean... They too are probably, in some part, the result of admixture rather than mostly or entirely being linear developments from a singular ancestral population which is how the old racialist model might paint things.

For example, the quite diverse mtDNA profiles (simply based on their non-M&N lineages) of groups like Omotic speaking Southwestern Ethiopians, Niger-Congo speaking West-Central Africans and Nilo-Saharan speaking Southern Sudanese people tend to imply that they are probably the result of admixture between distinct pre-historic populations within Africa itself. [note]

Some of these ancestral populations were possibly even as distinct from each other as the San are from modern West-Central Africans (time divergence appears greater than the time-divergence between West-Central Africans and the Han-Chinese, and genetic drift (based on Fst) is comparable to the drift between the Han-Chinese and the English).

**Groups that would count as "Negroids" within Africa should also not be seen as some sort of genetic monolith. They're not**... And even the old racialist model didn't truly imply as much. There's often a West-Central African cluster ("Niger-Congo" above) and an East African-cluster ("Nilo-Saharan" above) in ADMIXTURE runs, for instance. The Fst between these two clusters, as an example, is a little over 1/2 the Fst between the East Asian and European clusters above.

Also, based on Haplotypic data, the time divergence between some of these "African" ancestries (i.e. the African elements in Somalis and the African elements in Yorubas) implies they possibly haven't shared ancestry in over 30,000-40,000 years or so which is comparable to the, so far, supposed time-divergence between ENAs and the ancestors of European Hunter-Gatherers.

quote:
Iberomaurusians appear closer to Natufians primarily due to shared ancestry and their non-African ancestry. You're totally humiliated once again and you can't deny the genetic distinction between Natufians and Africans is undeniable. You won't manipulate and Africanize/blackwash our ancestors to fit your narrative, attempting to appropriate them and dismiss all the genetic and anthropological evidence.
Again you presume "non-African" ancestry when such has yet to be substantiated unless you disagree with the growing consensus that Basal Eurasian is African. You say there is a distinction between Natufians and Africans yet forget the fact that Egyptians share much of the Natufians' ancestry. But of course Egyptians aren't really African either and neither are the Nubians who also share the same ancestry! LMAO [Big Grin]

So no I don't have to "manipulate" anything the way you desperately attempt to distort the findings. No need for me to "Africanize" what is already African and again with that absurd oxymoronic term of "blackwash". You can't wash something "black" but WHITE which is what you are constantly doing. The accurate phrase is 'paint black'. Which I don't have to do because the genetics also show the populations you speak of to be highly melanated.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com