EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » White Hairstylist debunks the Vikings "dreadlock" myth (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: White Hairstylist debunks the Vikings "dreadlock" myth
Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty Daniels   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
So what do you call that hairstyle? If you are a hair expert so tell the proper name. Then I know it in the future.

I do not exert any "passive aggressive racism", it is just you who seem a bit paranoid.

And you posts do not get better because you write in versals.

WHY IN THE FKN WORLD WOULD I TELL YOU THE ACTUAL NAME OF THE HAIRSTYLE, YOU LIED AND CLAIMED WERE "CORNROWS"??????

You only posted it to try and "Prove" a point and "School" Black Folks.

I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU AMMUNITION, JUST SO YOU COULD PULL THE TRIGGER!

Stop Concern Trolling Black Folk!

Posts: 115 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you still are at it maybe you can go to Wikipedia and correct the image there since they obviously also got it wrong.

-

Cornrows - Wikipedia

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty Daniels   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So if you still are at it maybe you can go to Wikipedia and correct the image there since they obviously also got it wrong.

Cornrows- Wikipedia

Herculaneum woman, ca. 2nd century

I'M NOT STUPID, NICE TRY THOUGH!
Posts: 115 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not write that article or put that pic there. But since it is wrong according to you you could maybe go there and correct it, and put the right name to the picture, since you are the expert.

--------------------

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
I did not write that article or put that pic there. But since it is wrong according to you you could maybe go there and correct it, and put the right name to the picture, since you are the expert.

YES I am EXPERT ON CORNROWS, I HAD THEM FOR OVER 10 YEARS OF MY LIFE.

Getting them Redone Every Two Weeks, in Different Styles OVER A FKN DECADE, Makes ME AN EXPERT.

THE CLUELESS AZZ PEOPLE ON WIKIPEDIA SURE THE HELL ARENT

And NO your Toddler "Reverse Psychology", WILL NOT WORK.

If you want to find out the name the hair style YOU LIED ABOUT....

FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF!!!!

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ty Daniels:
quote:

YES I am EXPERT ON CORNROWS, I HAD THEM FOR OVER 10 YEARS OF MY LIFE.

Getting them Redone Every Two Weeks, in Different Styles OVER A FKN DECADE, Makes ME AN EXPERT.

THE CLUELESS AZZ PEOPLE ON WIKIPEDIA SURE THE HELL AREN'T!

And NO your Toddler "Reverse Psychology", WILL NOT WORK.

If you want to find out the name of the hair style YOU LIED ABOUT....

FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF!!!!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
I just went by articles I read on the net. I do not have that kind of hair so I am no expert. Seems that the name are used by some for similar hairstyles.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
So hurry to Wikipedia and set them straight since they are obviously lying

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Another example

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dawshoss/4098152218

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
I just went by articles I read on the net. I do not have that kind of hair so I am no expert. Seems that the name are used by some for similar hairstyles.

Then WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU TRY AND "SCHOOL", Black Folks about SOMETHING YOU'RE, FKN CLUELESS ABOUT????

And when told you were WRONG, BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE, you DOUBLED DOWN!

SMFH!

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
So hurry to Wikipedia and set them straight since they are obviously lying

NO your Toddler "Reverse Psychology", WILL NOT WORK.
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Similar hairstyles have actually existed even if you do not call them cornrows, obviously some other people call them cornrows. Why should I trust you? So give me the proper name of those locs so I know that you are an expert.

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
Similar hairstyles have actually existed even if you do not call them cornrows, obviously some other people call them cornrows. Why should I trust you? So give me the proper name of those locs so I know that you are an expert.

"wHy ShOuLd I tRuSt YoU???

LMAO!!!!!!

After all that "Chest Thumping" you were doing when you "Thought" you we're "Schooling" Somebody, now THIS LAME SHYT!!!

LMAO!!!!!

NAW, You WILL FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN!

YOU WERE WRONG, DEAL WITH IT!

That Ego of yours is something else.

SMH!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
One more example were this ancient hairstyle is called cornrows

-

Then many on the net are also wrong, while you some anonymous guy claim to be right.

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
OH LOOK A MOTORCYCLE, see it ALSO HAS WHEELS! LMAO!!!!

-

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
One more example were this ancient hairstyle is called cornrows

-

Then many on the net are also wrong, while you some anonymous guy claim to be right.

Yep, They're WRONG!

JUST LIKE YOU, BWAAAAH!! LMAO!!!!

That Ego of yours, MAN I TELL YOU!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
So everyone is wrong but not you? Talking about Ego.

Since other people call them cornrows then so will I, regardless of your whining. You have not yet given that hairstyle another name. And I see more people on the net calling them cornrows. So obviously the word have a wider definition than you think.

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
So everyone is wrong but not you? Talking about Ego.

Since other people call them cornrows then so will I, regardless of your whining. You have not yet given that hairstyle another name. And I see more people on the net calling them cornrows. So obviously the word have a wider definition than you think.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

YOU FAILED, GET OVER IT.

You will not "Coerce", the name of a hairstyle out of me, that you CAN'T IDENTIFY, BUT HAVE THE FKN NERVE TO ARGUE ABOUT.

I've had my hair Cornrowed OVER "1000 Times", I HAVE 4C Hair, YOU DON'T.

NOR DO THE CLUELESS ARROGANT ONLINE IDIOTS WHO CAN'T PROPERLY IDENTIFY CORNROWS.

All of it is based on this false BS:

"Some People Did It Before Black People, so Black People can't Claim it".

That is all, you have an "Axe To Grind" with Black Folks, so you PASSIVE AGGRESSIVELY CONCERN TROLL.

Throwing Rocks, and Hiding Hands!

Cornrows are Black African Hair Styles, Dreads Are Black African Hairstyles.

Get OVER IT, and Get OVER YOURSELF.

I would NEVER In Life Argue with someone over something I WAS INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING.

That is some SILLY SHT!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
I do not know anything about you so why should I trust what you say. Seems you just want to give the name exclusivity only to black people. But words change and now many also call the old Greek hairstyle for cornrows and there is nothing you can do about it.

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
quote:
I do not know anything about you so why should I trust what you say. Seems you just want to give the name exclusivity only to black people. But words change and now many also call the old Greek hairstyle for cornrows and there is nothing you can do about it.

LMAO!!!!

"There is Nothing You Can Do About it".

That's the thing "Genius", they DIDN'T HAVE REAL CORNROWS, but a different hair style.

So there isn't anything I "need" to do about it!

LMAO!!!

#FAILURE-BEFORE-START!!!

And No I don't "What to Give The Name Exclusively To Black People", SMH!

- A Lime Is NOT A LEMON
- Lettuce is NOT CABBAGE
- A Tricycle is NOT A MOTORCYCLE
- You are NOT CORRECT!

For a person who claims to be an "Archeologist", you seem to struggle to grasp simple concepts.

They may need to double and triple check your "Work".

SMH!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Now they are called cornrows and if you consider them real or not is of no concern.

--------------------

Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
"Short Bus" + Helmet, "LOGIC"

LMAO!!!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
---

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A French braid that is done close to the scalp, even if it’s very thick, can be considered a cornrow. The defining factor is the braiding is done against the scalp (but the remainders might hang down)
However smaller tighter braids close to the scalp might result in a more dotted look, like corn kernels

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
A French braid that is done close to the scalp, even if it’s very thick, can be considered a cornrow. The defining factor is the braiding is done against the scalp (but the remainders might hang down)
However smaller tighter braids close to the scalp might result in a more dotted look, like corn kernels

It's not even a frenchbraid, and french braids are hard to lay in parted rows. regardless, Arch took an L the minute she posted these pictures in reaction to getting exposed. Even when told straight up what it was she didn't even realize. I'm glad Jari got the patience, cuz it seems like it might've went over a few heads.
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ty Daniels
new
Member # 23186

Rate Member
"Arch's" Motivations in posting that weren't "Pure".

He (Or She), thought they "Got One Over" on Black Folks.

It was a passive aggressive, response to claims of "Cultural Appropriation", that some Black Folks have RIGHTFULLY Made.

"Arch" was told by at least 4 Different Black People, that they were wrong about the hair style.

But that arrogance, and HUBRIS wouldn't let them take the L and keep it moving.

They'll be back tomorrow "Concern Trolling" and playing like people on the internet/Wikipedia know better about Black hair styles than, actual Black Folks.

SMH!

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
It does not say if the author of this article is white, black or something else. But for those who consider the information in that article wrong you could maybe go there and change it if you are interested.

quote:
Depictions of women with cornrows have been found in Stone Age paintings in the Tassili Plateau of the Sahara, and have been dated as far back as 3000 B.C. As well as the cornrow style is seen in depictions of ancient Cushitic people of the horn of Africa wearing this style of braids as far back as 2000 B.C. The traditional hairstyle of Roman Vestal Virgins incorporated cornrows.

The tradition of female hairstyling in cornrows has remained popular throughout Africa, particularly in the Horn of Africa and West Africa and the rest of Africa as a whole. Historically, male hairstyling with cornrows can be traced as far back as the early 5th century BC within Ancient Greek sculpture and artwork, typically shown on warriors and heroes. Artwork and statues of different Middle Eastern and Mediterranean civilisations dating back to the 3rd and 4th century BC also suggest that such hairstyles were common amongst warrior cultures. More modern male depictions occur in the 19th century Ethiopia, where warriors and kings such as Tewodros II and Yohannes IV were depicted wearing cornrows.

Cornrows

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Some want to call even the hairstyles of some Venus figures as cornrows or braided hair. But they are not so detailed so it is hard to know exactly what their hairstyles were.

quote:
Cornrows seem to be the oldest hairstyle of humanity. Indeed, the Venus of Brassempouy and the Venus of Willendorf are two statuettes dating from approximately 22,000 years B.C ; both represent a woman with braided hair. When we observe prehistoric art and in particular female statuettes called “Venus” dating from the Gravettian period (between 29,000 and 22,000 before present) and discoveries in Europe, we are struck by their similarities to Africa. Today, most prehistorians have come down on the side of the theory that these figures have braided coarse hair, although some continue to propagate the qualifier “lady in the hood” to name this kind of portrait of Gravettian era. All Venus figures with hair have coarse hair.
written by DORIA ADOUKČ

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
What would you call this hair style? One can see similar looking styles still today.

-

-

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ty Daniels:

It was a passive aggressive, response to claims of "Cultural Appropriation", that some Black Folks have RIGHTFULLY Made.

As long as some black people themselves appropriate other cultures hair styles and attribute no one will take their claims seriously.

And by the way, have you nothing constructive to add? You seem mostly to be here to complain and criticize.

--------------------

mightywolf
Member # 23402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mightywolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

Cornrows - Wikipedia

To me, the Roman women with wear cornrows braids appear to have been inspired by Egyptian hair fashion. Because traditional Roman women's hairstyles are very plain, and later in imperial Rome, due to interaction with the Near East and North Africa, there was influence from there on hair fashion and trends. Consider how women's hairstyles evolved significantly in Roman sources, from simpler early styles to more elaborate and intricate designs during the Roman Imperial Period.

Here typical Roman hair fashion for women:
 -
 -
 -

-

Posts: 102 | From: private | Registered: Jul 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
Bumping this because there is one thing bugging me about ancient North African hairstyles.

If wavier hair textures are supposedly the indigenous North African hair texture, what's with all the ancient depictions of Egyptians, Libyans, and Numidians with what appear to be tight braids or dreadlocks? Aren't those the hairstyles supposed to be damaging to non-4C hair? Even allowing that many of the Egyptian self-representations show the subjects wearing wigs, I have a hard time believing they were importing all those braided or dreadlocked wigs from sub-Saharan sources.
 -
 -
 -

We don't know how "tight" they are even braided. But more importantly those people rocking those hairstyles could've had hair similar to modern day Horn of Africans who also braided their hair but not as tightly as other SSA especially West Africans. Still less damaging to a person with type 1 or 2 hair...
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greek Kouros statues, with clear Egyptian influence (see statue below), have braided hair. We cannot assume that hairstyles next door to Africa in the Mediterranean are automatically independent of African influence, just because they're not within the confines of the African continent.

-
Ebony statue of Meryrahashtef, 6th Dynasty (c. 2345-2181 B.C.)

Not trying to argue African or Euro origin for such hairstyles in Greece or Rome (I don't know much about hairstyles common in Indo-European cultures). But I just thought that speaks for itself. The mere fact of finding a hairstyle somewhere, doesn't mean it originated there independent of foreign influences.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
Greek Kouros statues, with clear Egyptian influence (see statue below), have braided hair. We cannot assume that hairstyles next door to Africa in the Mediterranean are automatically independent of African influence, just because they're not within the confines of the African continent.

I just noticed that too while looking up those kouros sculptures. Those make me more convinced that ancient Greek braided hairstyles have African connections.

Also, Cleopatra VII's most famous bust shows her with that very same style of braiding. I feel that, had the Netflix documentary shown her wearing that hairstyle instead of the big fluffy Afro they went with, it would have been a welcome nod to the actual historical record that was also consistent with how they wanted to represent her.
 -
In fact, in between her choice of hairstyles, how she preferred to represent herself as Egyptian according to Sally Ann-Ashton's research, and how she was the first Ptolemy to even learn the indigenous Egyptian language, I wouldn't put even a "White" Cleopatra above some blackfishing. That's entirely speculative on my part, mind you, and I don't plan to draw her doing that due to the trend's modern baggage, but back then her motive would have been identifying herself with her indigenous subjects rather than the more nefarious ones of blackfishers today.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I've heard of hatfishing, catfishing, Kanye being a gay fish. Never heard of blackfishing. Had to look it up.

I seem to remember a quote from an ancient Greek author saying braided hair was a sign of slaves in Greek society, while it had positive connotations in Egypt. Not sure how that would fit in this discussion, but probably shows it wasn't common or popular among Greeks (broadly speaking), in the time of that author. Taken together with the hairstyles on the Kouros statues, it possibly shows a general lack of popularity of such hairstyles outside of some isolated trends influenced by Egyptians and possibly others.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I seem to remember a quote from an ancient Greek author saying braided hair was a sign of slaves in Greek society, while it had positive connotations in Egypt. Not sure how that would fit in this discussion, but probably shows it wasn't common or popular among Greeks (broadly speaking), in the time of that author. Taken together with the hairstyles on the Kouros statues, it possibly shows a general lack of popularity of such hairstyles outside of some isolated trends influenced by Egyptians and possibly others.

In which case, a queen like Cleopatra sporting braids would further suggest that, whatever her actual ancestry, she felt a stronger connection to indigenous Egyptian culture than Hellenistic one. Or, alternatively, that as a queen of Ptolemaic Egypt, she understood that taking on Egyptian characteristics would set her apart from other Hellenistic rulers of the era. It'd be like how, despite modern Australia descending from a British colony, we see didgeridoo music as representing Australia better than anything British.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
^Her sister Arsinoe, whose partial Egyptian ancestry is now thought to be more or less confirmed by the looks of her skeletal remains, could also have influenced Cleopatra in this regard (Arsinoe could have been in touch with her Egyptian side, to some degree, due to her Egyptian mother).

EDIT:
On looking up the skeletal remains in question, the identification with Arsinoe is more uncertain than I thought, but the hint of partial African ancestry still stands, according to Wilkinson.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
^Her sister Arsinoe, whose partial Egyptian ancestry is now thought to be more or less confirmed by the looks of her skeletal remains, could also have influenced Cleopatra in this regard (Arsinoe could have been in touch with her Egyptian side, to some degree, due to her Egyptian mother).

EDIT:
On looking up the skeletal remains in question, the identification with Arsinoe is more uncertain than I thought, but the hint of partial African ancestry still stands, according to Wilkinson.

Cleopatra VII's mother (and paternal grandmother) being unknown is why I get annoyed with all the overconfident armchair historians (and even some orthodox academics) insisting she had to have been White. For all we know, she and Arsinoe could have shared that Egyptian (or other African) mother, assuming the bones really are Arsinoe's. This just isn't the open-and-shut case that so many people treat it as.

But that's enough from me on Cleo for now. I know it was me who brought her up again, but I don't want that tangent to go on for too long in this thread.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com