EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » COMPETITION (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: COMPETITION
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are so smart, sending me to open my email, so that you keep posting faster and faster...;-)

Before leaving ES for 3 days :-( - you can relax msjen jen - here is some Egypt related information. Enjoy!

Did you know that:

Egypt had two distinct ecologies. The valley was thin, often only a few kilometres from the Nile Delta to the first cataract at Aswan.

In the North, on the Delta, the river spread out over swamps and marshland which were rich in bird and animal life.

From earliest times each era developed its own culture, with separate traditions of pottery-making and burial customs.

Egypt was made of two distinct kingdoms one in the North of the Delta, the other on the south along the valley.

To be continued.......

Salam,

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by msjen:

he he he i have a damn good reason , check your e-mail

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, as the country of Egypt is the focus of this fun facts page.

Here is one fact from me:

Egypt is an interesting country. You can see temples and buildings that are built by many different kinds of people that are thousands of years old. The pyramids are the most famous buildings in Egypt. They were built by the pharoahs thousands of years before our time. It is amazing that they are still standing!

If you take the perimeter of the pyramid, and divide it by two times the height, you get a number that is exactly equivalent to the number pi (3.14159...) http://www.algonet.se/~anki-p/pyramid%20kurs.html

Another one do U know:
About 10,000 years ago, people started near the Nile River.

There were no roads as the Nile was their highway and everything moved by boat.

Egyptians were fairly short (5'5") with straight black hair, dark eyes, and copper colored skin.

Toys and games: childhood was short but there were lots of toys and games like leapfrog and statues. Boys and girls played with dolls, balls, tops, and wooden animals.

Pets: some children had a pet monkey or gazelle; cats were sacred and wore a gold earring.

Homes: the Egyptians lived in houses made of whitewashed mud brick.

School: boys went to "houses of instruction"; girls did not go to school but were taught at home--they learned household skills.

Language: their alphabet consisted of 23 letters plus 700 other phonetic signs and their writing was called hieroglyphics.

The Egyptians worshipped gods associated with animals.

Egypt was owned by one man--the Pharaoh known as "the son of the sun god" as a "Good Shepherd"; Pharaoh means "great house".

As artists they created monuments and tombs made of stone and gold.

Egyptians loved music, dancing, story-telling, and poetry.

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamilah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's incredible... i'm reading reading but everyday there are more and more posts, mamma mia...
Posts: 247 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wot does that mean!

If your are happy (mabsootah) I am happy

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 18 November 2003).]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sooooooo excited. My parakeet Jawz has finally taken to her mate Clark, and is sitting quietly in her nesting box awaiting the arrival of this What is that saying? A face only a mother could love? hahaha...18 more days to go..

Laura (the bird fancier)

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
You are so smart, sending me to open my email, so that you keep posting faster and faster...;-)

well yes, and what abuot all that washing and ironing that is waiting for you!

Posts: 661 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamilah, welcome to the competition!!!

Adoula, I'm glad you're back, thanks for the info.

Fanta, have YOU disappeared now? This is strange, whenever someone comes back, another person temporarily disappears...

Laura, what an amazingly tiny creature! Beautiful!

[This message has been edited by msjen (edited 19 November 2003).]

Posts: 661 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamilah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys,
good news - i'm on the 5th page now so guess very soon i'll join you...

Posts: 247 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning friends,

msjen, you are catching up for sure, but who knows, now with Jamilah ;-) around, boy oh boy, I think we'll have to run even faster...woooow Jamilah you're such a breath of fresh air!

Laura.... that picture is, how shall I put it? surprisingly surprising!!! very tiny thing my...my...must need lots of love!!!

By the way I noticed the admin people edited the info in regards with the revealed ID.

I have to say something though, that could be of interest to ALL non-Egyptians:

DID YOU KNOW that:

A family name ending with: Mohamed or Mahmoud or Hassan or Ali or Hussein or Ahmed...or...or... will not be easily identified, if EVER, without an ID number, because there are MILLIONS of those names around Egypt? MILLIONS and I'm not joking.

It's exactly like saying: Mr Smith or even Mr John...imagine? or better Mr John Smith...he he he

Fanta, I heard the awful news again. Hope you and your family are safe!! Let us know that you are ok.

Adoula: I have a feeling you want to say more on 'evil' women...come on, let's hear it all! Your message about what men need, is awesome by the way.

Have a super day !

Monica

[QUOTE]Originally posted by msjen:
[b]Jamilah, welcome to the competition!!!

Adoula, I'm glad you're back, thanks for the info.

Fanta, have YOU disappeared now? This is strange, whenever someone comes back, another person temporarily disappears...

Laura, what an amazingly tiny creature! Beautiful!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 20 November 2003).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Pardon?!?!?!?!?! sorry i'm a little bit stupid today can't get people sometimes... what air? what breath?

quote:
Good morning friends,

msjen, you are catching up for sure, but who knows, now with Jamilah ;-) around, boy oh boy, I think we'll have to run even faster...woooow Jamilah you're such a breath of fresh air!

Laura.... that picture is, how shall I put it? surprisingly surprising!!! very tiny thing my...my...must need lots of love!!!

By the way I noticed the admin people edited the info in regards with the revealed ID.

I have to say something though, that could be of interest to ALL non-Egyptians:

DID YOU KNOW that:

A family name ending with: Mohamed or Mahmoud or Hassan or Ali or Hussein or Ahmed...or...or... will not be easily identified, if EVER, without an ID number, because there are MILLIONS of those names around Egypt? MILLIONS and I'm not joking.

It's exactly like saying: Mr Smith or even Mr John...imagine? or better Mr John Smith...he he he

Fanta I heard the awful news again. Hope you ansd your family are safe!!

Adoula: I have a feeling you want to say more on 'evil' women...come on let's hear it all!

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A breath of fresh air ia an expression that means that you bring a nice feeling around you... appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by Jamilah:
Pardon?!?!?!?!?! sorry i'm a little bit stupid today can't get people sometimes... what air? what breath?

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
quote:
A breath of fresh air ia an expression that means that you bring a nice feeling around you... appreciated!

Monica.. thank you for explanation, thanks God, i know what it means
I was woundering why you said so?

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Monica cara!!!
Come stai?!?!?!?
Spero va benissimo!!!

News for today:
Everybody on the board are busy and don't have time to post...

Monica woke up and first thing that she did she checked ES posts

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I woke up a long time ago and took a flight, and got home, and then I had a long rest, and then I checked the posts he he he

quote:
Monica cara!!!
Come stai?!?!?!?
Spero va benissimo!!!

News for today:
Everybody on the board are busy and don't have time to post...

Monica woke up and first thing that she did she checked ES posts

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
quote:
Actually I woke up a long time ago and took a flight, and got home, and then I had a long rest, and then I checked the posts he he he

So welcome home Monica!!!!!!!
Glad you're save and fresh

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
my german genes are forcing me to share the following information - result of the competition to date:

Debbie (although not actively participating, I could not help myself but notice her amount of posts!) 2033

Monica 442
msjen 437
freeman 435
Laura 374
Adoula 175 (you'd better start splitting up your posts igf you are interested in winning... )
BaBa-Mido 133
Jamilah 106
Fantachero 61
Lisbeth 37 (you'd better hurry up )

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Let me add this for the interested competitors:

The last day of the competition is: February 14, 2004

4 days after my real birth day he he he...

The winner gets to write an elegant piece about Egypt, in honour of all Egypt lovers/ members of the ES message board.

quote:
my german genes are forcing me to share the following information - result of the competition to date:

Debbie (although not actively participating, I could not help myself but notice her amount of posts!) 2033

Monica 442
msjen 437
freeman 435
Laura 374
Adoula 175 (you'd better start splitting up your posts igf you are interested in winning... )
BaBa-Mido 133
Jamilah 106
Fantachero 61
Lisbeth 37 (you'd better hurry up )

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 10 February 2004).]

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Let me add this for the interested competitors:

The winner gets to write an elegant piece about Egypt, in honour of all Egypt lovers/ members of the ES message board.

JAWOHL! So you'd better pull your socks up and start writing and thinking!

Laura
Member # 879

WOW if that is the prize I think I will confine my posts to one a week LOL..

I was thinking something along the lines of "the hat being passed around" and the contents going for a nice weekend at Sharm to the winner hehe

No tossing candy wrappers in the hat allowed!

Oh and my bird died !!! Not sure why, a friend told me it may have been caused by a "stuck egg" she was unable to successfully lay. Anyways, came home from Iftar at friends home with a new addition. A tortoise She is 36 years old!! You can tell the age by counting the circles on her shell. They know how much I love animals and decided to surprise me with this gift, since I am always playing with the one they have, when we visit them.

Still thinking of a name for her.

Monica, we all missed you but I could tell how much MsJen missed you by her lack of posts. What a wonderful friend she is

Still thinking about Fantachero and hoping she is ok.

Laura

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Laura:
Oh and my bird died !!!

sorry about that laura, i know some people say they're only animals, but they are so important once you get attached to them

Still thinking of a name for her.

how about ms jen jen !!!

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Monica, we all missed you but I could tell how much MsJen missed you by her lack of posts. What a wonderful friend she is

JAWOHL!!!

Lets hope she's just having a good night out with friends and that she'll be surprised by our worries tomorrow!!!

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
msjen, I thought you were going 'guten nacht' ;-)) but I'm pleasantly surprised to find you here my friend.

Laura, sorry for the bird...

About this competition, I wanted to scare everyone off by revealing the prize !!! I don't think it's working...and by the way I understand that Lizbeth is a writer, she could do a magnificent piece on Egypt I am sure.

And Debbie won already....did'nt she? where is she by the way? Debbie, we miss you!

I also miss: Man_Kind, he stopped posting for a looong time.

Salam for now!
Monica

quote:
[b] Monica, we all missed you but I could tell how much MsJen missed you by her lack of posts. What a wonderful friend she is

JAWOHL!!!

Lets hope she's just having a good night out with friends and that she'll be surprised by our worries tomorrow!!!

[/B]

Laura
Member # 879

Am saying goodnight to all but was just wondering, am I the only Taurus here, April 22 (Earth Day - since I just remembered I never did mention the "holiday" ? Yes, I am the stubborn one Maybe it's just the Cherokee blood in me, hmmm.

Nighty nite dear ES competitors

Laura

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Wow, the end.. i have read all pages!!!! wow... people... that was nice and so many historical and useful things are here?!?!! oh, there is a keen competition?!?!?

quote:

I guess i won't win the competition, moreover i'm really bad writer let's leave it for more talent people on the board, and everybodu knows there names

Oh, Laura, I am so sorry for your bird
But here my congratulations, you have a new friend and it must be smart already because it's 36 yo as for the name, egyptian names are all with meanings. Give an eye to the tortoise and the name will come itself

Salam

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Monica cara!!!!!

domando rapido: conosci dei internet site italiani come ES?
Grazie in anticipo

quote:

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamilah,

Credo che ti posso aiutare;

I am not familiar with other message boards at all. But may I suggest something that comes to mind:

When I do my International marketing research I go to other 'yahoos', meaning if you scroll to the bottom of your yahoo page you'll find links to other countries that have 'yahoo' as a search engine, like Italy and France and Belgium etc..etc... click on Italy and then do your search in Italian. Maybe you will bump into a nice Italian message board.
Good luck!
Ciao amica!
Monica

quote:
Monica cara!!!!!

domando rapido: conosci dei internet site italiani come ES?
Grazie in anticipo

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamilah, the idea is not really who writes best because we can always collectively 'edit' the piece, before we offer it to the board. ( the ones that did'nt win will be the editors, he he he). So keep competing.

The 'real' purpose of this is to have someone do a great research, and learn as much as possible about Egypt, then share with their own personal writing words with all Egypt lovers. So, it is for 'enriching' purposes; and the focus is Egypt.

A little tip: there's a lot of info on Egypt if you search around this board;-))

quote:
Wow, the end.. i have read all pages!!!! wow... people... that was nice and so many historical and useful things are here?!?!! oh, there is a keen competition?!?!?

I guess i won't win the competition, moreover i'm really bad writer let's leave it for more talent people on the board, and everybodu knows there names

Oh, Laura, I am so sorry for your bird
But here my congratulations, you have a new friend and it must be smart already because it's 36 yo as for the name, egyptian names are all with meanings. Give an eye to the tortoise and the name will come itself

Salam

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 21 November 2003).]

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Oh, no, Monica, not an editor, can i be just a reader?!?!?!?! and sometimes posting!?!?!?

Ok, i will do research about Egypt it's better to define first the field the board's interested in

quote:
Jamilah, the idea is not really who writes best because we can always collectively 'edit' the piece, before we offer it to the board. ( the ones that did'nt win will be the editors, he he he). So keep competing.

The 'real' purpose of this is to have someone do a great research, and learn as much as possible about Egypt, then share with their own personal writing words with everyone that love Egypt. So it is for 'enriching' purposes and the focus is Egypt.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Jamilah, It is only a fun competition for the interested; just a little challenge and to have good interesting fun and to keep in touch in a friendly way. You can be who you decide to be, a competitor, only posting an editor for the winner, a friend, it is all up to you! ;-))

quote:
Oh, no, Monica, not an editor, can i be just a reader?!?!?!?! and sometimes posting!?!?!?

Ok, i will do research about Egypt it's better to define first the field the board's interested in

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
quote:

The 'real' purpose of this is to have someone do a great research, and learn as much as possible about Egypt, then share with their own personal writing words with all Egypt lovers. So, it is for 'enriching' purposes; and the focus is Egypt.

A little tip: there's a lot of info on Egypt if you search around this board;-)) so, the winner will have to ADD to this info, he he he!

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
quote:
Jamilah, It is only a fun competition for the interested; just a little challenge and to have good interesting fun and to keep in touch in a friendly way. You can be who you decide to be, a competitor, only posting an editor for the winner, a friend, it is all up to you! ;-))

Yes, Yes, Yes.... thank you

come stai?!?!?! tutto bene?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Tutto molto bene qui, grazie milla...e tu?

It's a bit cold today but beautifully sunny! It's not the sun of Egypt... but at least I have a sunny view;-))

Here is some info on Egypt for today:

DID YOU KNOW, that

The opening of the Suez Canal in the year 1869, made Egypt strategically important? Later on when the Turks became allies to Germany in the First WW, the British declared the country a British Protectorate, since they had installed themselves right there, following a nationalist revolt (1882).
Independance was granted in 1922. A kingdom was established until 1952.

Literacy rate in Egypt is: 63%
Population estimated in in 1996: 60 896 000
Population estimaled in 2002: 68 million and something...and growing!!!

Salam
Monica

quote:

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
MMM.. i'm in a site reading about Egypt now... but very soon i'll go home and will keep looking for something interesting...

There is week-end and i wish to spend time great a tutti!!!

It's snowing today, winter already, not like in Egypt.. l'estato e gia come un sogno

A piu tardi!!

quote:
Tutto molto bene qui, grazie milla...e tu?

It's a bit cold today but beautifully sunny! It's not the sun of Egypt... but at least I have a sunny view;-))

Here is some info on Egypt for today:

DID YOU KNOW, that

The opening of the Suez Canal in the year 1869, made Egypt strategically important? Later on when the Turks became allies to Germany in the First WW, the British declared the country a British Protectorate, since they had installed themselves right there, following a nationalist revolt (1882).
Independance was granted in 1922. A kingdom was established until 1952.

Literacy rate in Egypt is: 63%
Population estimated in in 1996: 60 896 000
Population estimaled in 2002: 68 million and something...and growing!!!

Salam
Monica

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamilah,

Click on this: http://it.groups.yahoo.com/

A piu tardi amica!

Monica

quote:
MMM.. i'm in a site reading about Egypt now... but very soon i'll go home and will keep looking for something interesting...

There is week-end and i wish to spend time great a tutti!!!

It's snowing today, winter already, not like in Egypt.. l'estato e gia come un sogno

A piu tardi!!

------------------

Laura
Member # 879

Hi all,

This afternoon I packed a "pincic" Iftar for my husband and I, and we walked to the beach and enjoyed the sunset together. Was a wonderful day

I was happy to see Fantachero is back and posting, though she is quite shaken.

Now for my "informative" addition to the facts about Egypt collection:

Egyptian Vulture
Neophron pernopterus

Did you know...
*It is the most common vulture in the Old World.

*It eats carrion (dead animals), insects, and eggs and will even scavenge garbage in populated areas.

*It knows how to crack heavy egg shells, such as those belonging to an ostrich, by gripping heavy stones in its beak and throwing them against the egg.

*It is known to travel more than 40 miles in search of food.

Look for...
*A yellow head that is mostly bare of feathers.

*Feet that are more adapted for running than for climbing.

*White feathers all over the black markings on the wings.

I have yet to see one of these here in Egypt, what about the rest of you?

Laura

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Laura, this is amazing, I saw one in Malta last year actually. There's a specific area where they pass by. Beautiful beautiful.

It is in decline apparently. Maybe due to pollution??? Adoulaaaa do you know?;-) so I don't think that Egypt will see many.

Picnic hein? what a great idea!
have a super evening!

Monica

[b]Hi all,

This afternoon I packed a "pincic" Iftar for my husband and I, and we walked to the beach and enjoyed the sunset together. Was a wonderful day

I was happy to see Fantachero is back and posting, though she is quite shaken.

Now for my "informative" addition to the facts about Egypt collection:

Egyptian Vulture
Neophron pernopterus

Laura
Member # 879

Hi Monica,

I hope they are not on the way to extinction here, but I know the pollution factor here is taking it's toll on some things.

You know I was thinking about you today and your talent for writing and obviously speaking, as this is your profession and thought what a wonderful "Call in TalkShow Host" you would make. Imagine....Dr. Monica...Egypts answer to all its problems

Grinning
Laura

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monica:
msjen, I thought you were going 'guten nacht' ;-)) but I'm pleasantly surprised to find you here my friend.

Jawohl, i went 'ins Bett' just can't help myself to check ES 'one last time' every night

Laura, sorry for the bird...

About this competition, I wanted to scare everyone off by revealing the prize !!! I don't think it's working...and by the way I understand that Lizbeth is a writer, she could do a magnificent piece on Egypt I am sure.

smart try

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
If your are happy (mabsootah) I am happy

how loooovely as you can see i just found this brilliant smilie-site and will surely have quite a few things to laugh about this evening and thank you kindly

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
quote:
Jamilah, It is only a fun competition for the interested

WOTTTTTT??? fun? i took this very seriously and am now seriously disappointed.

nb Laura I love this smilie site!

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member

Dear Laura, in Egypt 'some' tend to call people Dr (Doctorah for a woman) when they want to show a lot of respect; so you reminded me of a funny story;

I was in Cairo giving a 'lecture' to a bunch of ladies. I was invited at the time by a very distinguished association, so anyway, the theme was 'Sports' ( a small part of what I do is promote Sports ) and I guess that whoever organized the paperwork and the flyers 'decided' that since I was giving a 'lecture' I certainly was a 'doctor' (he he he) although I have a couple of degrees ;-) I'm not a Doc.......yet ...he he he

So....
When we got to the questions/ answers period, people in the audience started to call me 'Doctorah"; being a bit of a nut....I decided to let it be, temporarily.

So anyway after a few questions were answered, I turned the session around and asked them this question:

"People, answer meeee, Do you hate your bodyyyyyy?"

They all chanted:" YEEEEEEEESSSSSS", so I said: "put your left hand up"....they all did, and then I said: " now do you want to do something about iiiiiit?" they all chanted:"YESSSSSSS" so I said:" now put your left hand down and your right hand up"

AND I STARTED SAYING REALLY LOUD WHILE rotating my hands left right left right:

"One two, one two, exercising is for you....
One two one two if I'm a doctor, so are you...."

;-)))

It caught up so well, everyone was laughing, and they were doing the exercices in perfect harmony...the audience had a good sense of humour; it was such a spontaneous, successful, POSITIVE conclusion to the lecture/workshop. And after all, many women in the audience registered to some gyms I had recommended in Cairo.

So you made me laugh from the heart!

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Hi Monica,

I hope they are not on the way to extinction here, but I know the pollution factor here is taking it's toll on some things.

You know I was thinking about you today and your talent for writing and obviously speaking, as this is your profession and thought what a wonderful "Call in TalkShow Host" you would make. Imagine....Dr. Monica...Egypts answer to all its problems

Grinning
Laura

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 22 November 2003).]

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Fantaaaa

glad to have you back on board, I am very sorry to hear what happened in Isanbul. Not to justify violence in any form but I think that at least those brainless people could chose targets that hit the right people!!!

All my best wishes to you and your family!

By the way DID YOU KNOW that Berlin has the 2nd largest Turkish population on this planet after Istambul?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
I LOVE THOSE SMILEYS..

THANKS

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 22 November 2003).]

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for msjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning all

just found this fantastic website: what women don't like about men and vice versa ... http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2142/antigonespage.html

when you go to read the lists you'll know what i mean

have a wonderful day everybody!!!
jen

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
Excellent story, Doctorah Monica!!! More of them, please

In that post re the 12 yr old on the evil thread, is she a native indian from the US? very good grasp of a language for a 12 year old, that's for sure! I am anxiously awaiting your 12 cents there, the more provocative, the better (no you can relax,I'm not normally like that )

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Dear msjen,

I'm happy you enjoyed the story of my brief moment of 'doctorah' fame... he he he...

About the little girl - Adoula's 'evil' thread - she is half Egyptian, half Lebanese. Lives in an anglophone neighborhood in Montreal, Quebec; goes to a French school, and learned English as a third language. She is an avid reader - now 14 yrs old actually, and apparently, she wrote that particular text collectively with 2 other kids, as part of an assignment on -what else - EVIL!!!

She is very talented indeed.

Check the Free 'safari' thread invitation ...maybe YOU can make it since I can't!!!

Monica

quote:
Excellent story, Doctorah Monica!!! More of them, please

In that post re the 12 yr old on the evil thread, is she a native indian from the US? very good grasp of a language for a 12 year old, that's for sure! I am anxiously awaiting your 12 cents there, the more provocative, the better (no you can relax,I'm not normally like that )

msjen
Member # 2852

Rate Member
About the little girl - Adoula's 'evil' thread - she is half Egyptian, half Lebanese. Lives in an anglophone neighborhood in Montreal, Quebec; goes to a French school, and learned English as a third language. She is an avid reader - now 14 yrs old actually, and apparently, she wrote that particular text collectively with 2 other kids, as part of an assignment on -what else - EVIL!!!

she should participate in this competition as she would make a great winner then

Check the Free 'safari' thread invitation ...maybe YOU can make it since I can't!!!

... think i'd rather stick a hot needle into my eye that spend a day and/ or night in the dessert with a complete stranger ... glad you can' make it either, if you get lost i don't have anyone to compete with anymore ... and i would be very upset!!!

by the way he started another thread ...
someone should tell him to get stuffed ... in a nice way of course, hope freeman really joins that trip

[This message has been edited by msjen (edited 22 November 2003).]

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well msjen, my good friend, I had to thank 'omda' for his safari invitation, and also, I told him about my old fashioned family, and how my father thought it was not proper to meet strangers from the internet, and go spend time with them under a tent in the desert.

You, my father and I, agree on this issue.

I'd take the needle too my friend!

DID YOU KNOW that:

If an Egyptian girl/woman from a respectable family, would go safari with a stranger from the internet, she would be so so punished by her family, if they would discover that. If and only if, she would ever show up again of course!
Is it the same in Germany?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by msjen:
[b]About the little girl - Adoula's 'evil' thread - she is half Egyptian, half Lebanese. Lives in an anglophone neighborhood in Montreal, Quebec; goes to a French school, and learned English as a third language. She is an avid reader - now 14 yrs old actually, and apparently, she wrote that particular text collectively with 2 other kids, as part of an assignment on -what else - EVIL!!!

she should participate in this competition as she would make a great winner then

... think i'd rather stick a hot needle into my eye that spend a day and/ or night in the dessert with a complete stranger ... glad you can' make it either, if you get lost i don't have anyone to compete with anymore ... and i would be very upset!!!

by the way he started another thread ...
someone should tell him to get stuffed ... in a nice way of course, hope freeman really joins that trip

Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long before Ramadan started, my foreign friends started to talk about the craziness and the holiness of this month, about people’s behavior and their habits.

To those who don't know, Ramadan is a kind of Christmas that lasts for a month.

However, when the month actually started, there was a discrepancy between what they had expected, or had been told before Ramadan, and what they actually experienced. During the month, they began to understand how Ramadan is more than just a fasting month. Rather it is a month when everything changes, from the way people behave in their everyday life, to the way they treat one another. Ramadan is not only about not eating and drinking, it is a time when everything changes, from people’s eating patterns to their level of productivity and even lifestyles.

One of the things that positively impressed the foreigners living in Egypt during Ramadan was the way Muslims were open minded about the fact that they- the foreigners- were not fasting and usually invited them to family Iftars and other gatherings.

Something quite noticeable during Ramadan is how the family comes together and becomes the center of the community. They realized that Iftar time was designated as family time--regardless of any other plans, so they had to adapt to this new way of life.

As much as these people felt that Ramadan had a great spiritual value for Muslims, brought the family together and increased charity, they were also shocked by certain behavior and sometimes could not understand how it related to the holy month.

Most of them were impressed by how much people ate during Ramadan, contrary to their expectations that his month would be one when people wouldn’t eat much.

Now as Ramadan almost finished, my question is: How can people best maintain and develop the good habits in this month and perhaps keep them for the rest of the year?

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adoula, I have to give it to you, you are brilliantly creative.

Yours is a fascinating question.
But may I also add the following 5 words:

<How can people best maintain and develop the good habits in this month, and perhaps keep them for the rest of the year WITHOUT TURNING TO THE EXTREME?>

This comes to mind:

Since we all know that people are totally drawn by the MEDIA, and the MEDIA is doing a real great Job influencing people of all classes and beliefs in Egypt, during Ramadan, and other months too, with all levels of recreational entertainment, I would say that programs, without really being 'religious' per se, should be oriented towards good behaviour the rest of the year through the 'soaps' for example - which are called Mossalssalate - through the talk shows, etc etc etc...even advertising could be oriented towards creating an awareness of goodness and kindness...

BUT my dear Adoula, would all that make a 'profit' for the money makers???

Believe me, the question should actually be:

If there was a financial profit from creating programs/Media, that would infuse goodness and great behaviour all year, without turning people into extremists, would'nt that be the way all over the world?

And this generates another question:

How can the above be achieved? As it is obvious that the most INFLUENTIAL source on the masses, is certainly the Media.

I am adding one more question:

Don't you think that the people that are GENUINELY good and kind in Ramadan are also the same way all year?

I strongly believe that those that change attitudes during Ramadan, and Xmas, and then go back to bad habits the rest of the year, are just putting a show, a facade to be accepted by the rest during that period . These are the same people that pretend to be in a certain way in public but are totally different in a negative way in private.

Unfortunately there's a lot of those all over the world and regardless of religion and gender.

In general, I wish that people would be courageous enough to face their own thruth, no charades and pretending towards oneself; and then work on developing their strength into positive and productive actions. It's a life long process, but it's achieved step by step, and certainly rewarding all along.

Monica

Always searching for more kindness in this world!

quote:
Originally posted by Adoula:
Now as Ramadan almost finished, my question is: How can people best maintain and develop the good habits in this month and perhaps keep them for the rest of the year?

[/b]

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 23 November 2003).]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com