EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo protests (Page 38)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  45  46  47   
Author Topic: Cairo protests
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So he is "the quiet American" in this story? Just looked up who he is. Grew up in United Arab Emirates... Graduated from American University in Cairo, my god the tuition fees in that place are such that I cannot imagine who can even afford them? Must be filthy rich. Married to an American, too.

On top of it I came across a photo in the web, of protesters in the square playing chess, it is here

http://www6.mashy.com/jokes/funny-pictures-from-tahrir/list/%D9%88%D9%82%D8%AA-%D9%84%D9%84%D8%B4%D8%B7%D8%B1%D9%86%D8%AC#idqR1l86CqdUuUamO3PlG_3Q

Because the Russian revolutionists in 1917 also prided themselves on having the best educations and coming from best, intelligent families, if anyone here remembers history. Chess was of course very "in". They also were totally delusionary, as we now already know. Even wearing leather coats on that photo, in style of true "bolsheviks". And the woman in the background? Black like death.

I'm really getting so depressed.
Need to go clean house.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

Just looked up who he is. Grew up in United Arab Emirates... Graduated from American University in Cairo, my god the tuition fees in that place are such that I cannot imagine who can even afford them? Married to an American, too.

What do AUC'S tuition fees or the fact that someone grew up in the UAE have to do with anything here?
[Confused]

quote:

Because the Russian revolutionists in 1917 also prided themselves on having the best educations and coming from best, intelligent families, if anyone here remembers history. Chess was of course very "in".

So if someone plays chess that means they "pride themselves in having the best educations and coming from the best families"? Interesting interpretation.

I suggest next time you get out of your village and make a trip to Cairo you pop into Hurreya Cafe. You'll find many old guys sitting there and playing chess. I assume they are all just showing off. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Even wearing leather coats on that photo, in style of true "bolsheviks".

And the woman in the background? Black like death.

Your comments are starting to amuse me. [Big Grin] There is one guy wearing a leather jacket, so that means they are all wannabe bolsheviks … yeah right.

What the color of the lady's clothing has to do with anything, I don't understand. But it seems quite obvious that in lack of proper arguments, you are clutching at straws, over-analyzing even the clothes people wear in a desperate attempt to find something to pick on.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
I heard that [Eek!] he's a she [Eek!] . Hope I got that right or it won't be the first time someone's undergone a sex change today [Smile]

Really?? I figured only men were so ignorant and stubborn
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Statement from Cairo University- faculty of law
Issued from the discussion forum held on 7/2/2011 around legal and constitutional solutions to meet the needs of the Peoples revolution

On Monday the 7th of February 2011 the professors of the faculty of law at Cairo university met and after many fruitful discussions and thorough analysis of the parameters of constitutional thought and what is best for our country in order for it to correspond with the great leap & the revolution of the Youth of the Nation which has both been welcomed and backed by many communities within the nation , presented to the nation from a pure conscience and in reaction to the new developments that have affected the entire nation's sentiments . Presented here to the great Egyptian nation are the results which the forum has reached in regards to what must be done for the good of the nation at this historical juncture in our beloved country
The forum has reached the following conclusions:

Firstly : To completely support and back The revolution of the 25th of January which was sparked by the pure and uncorrupted Youth of Egypt in which all the diverse communities of Egypt joined to demand freedom , democracy and the sovereignty of the law , the achievement of social justice and calling to account the corrupt and those who have hindered the fate of this nation and honoring the blood of the martyrs which was spilt in the cause of the nations freedom and upholding the dignity of the citizen.

Secondly – Withdrawing all legitimacy from the current regime

Thirdly – Calling upon the President of the Republic to comply with the will of the nation as expressed by the public

Fourth - The Necessity of the instant dissolution of both Parliament and the Shura Council due to the impossibility of their meeting as a result of final sentences issued from the High Constitutional court which nullify the results of the elections in many constituencies

Fifth- A call for the creation of a founding committee devoted to the creation of a new constitution that is in accordance with the current phase, with the condition that all political ideologies are represented in this committee as well as civil society organizations and all Egyptian communities

Sixth – The delegation of all presidential powers to the vice president, as permitted by Articles 82 and 139 of the constitution in accordance with their correct interpretation

Seventh – The expansion of the current structure of the government in order for it to be an interim government dedicated to the nations recovery

Eighth- The issuance of decrees from the republic which would create laws that launch the right to create political parties and allowing citizens the rights of election and nomination for public office

Ninth- The swift restructuring of the state authorities in accordance with the new constitution

Tenth – The immediate termination of the enforcement of the Emergency law

Signed on behalf of the attendees
Dr Ahmed Awad Belal
Dean of the Faculty of Law

http://libertyforegypt.blogspot.com/2011/02/translation-of-statement-issued-by.html

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egyptian Activist Known as 'Sandmonkey' Reveals Identity After Police Beating

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/egyptian-activist-sandmonkey-reveals-identity-police-beating/story?id=12853101

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
I do not think any nation in the world got a 100 % democracy. and no nation will be able to get 100 % democracy. [/QB]

I didn't realize iyou think it is a choice between 100% dictatorship and 100% democracy.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So he is "the quiet American" in this story? Just looked up who he is. Grew up in United Arab Emirates... Graduated from American University in Cairo, my god the tuition fees in that place are such that I cannot imagine who can even afford them? Must be filthy rich. Married to an American, too.

On top of it I came across a photo in the web, of protesters in the square playing chess, it is here

http://www6.mashy.com/jokes/funny-pictures-from-tahrir/list/%D9%88%D9%82%D8%AA-%D9%84%D9%84%D8%B4%D8%B7%D8%B1%D9%86%D8%AC#idqR1l86CqdUuUamO3PlG_3Q

Because the Russian revolutionists in 1917 also prided themselves on having the best educations and coming from best, intelligent families, if anyone here remembers history. Chess was of course very "in". They also were totally delusionary, as we now already know. Even wearing leather coats on that photo, in style of true "bolsheviks". And the woman in the background? Black like death.

I'm really getting so depressed.
Need to go clean house.

The only point here you made is that the guy comes from an afluent family with money and connections. Yes, that's right. If he didn't, do you REALLY THINK he would still be alive?
Yup, that's the good old world you support... if you're rich and have connections, maybe...maybe the police will think twice before beating you to death.

And, to add - this young man ALREADY has a great job, plenty of money, fantastic education, wife and young children... things most Egyptian men his age can only dream of having. He had nothing to gain but everything to lose by participating in these protests. He was out there fighting for the rights of his fellow countrymen, and then he gets slammed by some foreigner living in Egypt for having too much money!?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Wael Ghonim interview part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gpzo9016oQ&feature=youtu.be

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSKuFpSJzMU&feature=youtu.be

Sorry many of you, it's in Arabic

Dream TV interview with Wael Ghonim – Part (last) 5 – With English subtitles
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12387034
Egypt's tourist industry at standstill

reporters go to sakara asking locals their opinions... amongst complaints that the tourism industry is at a standstill and "this needs to stop", that mubarak is great, etc, it ends with a mob turning nasty on the reporter.

gee, and they wonder why the tourists aren't flocking back. extremely sad.

longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see if I've got this straight. According to Nevermind, because some of the protesters wore leather and played chess, Egyptians should live under the rule of fear subject to arbitrary arrest, torture and even death? Is that the deductive inference we're being invited to draw? There appear to be some missing steps.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind, is your home country run by a democracy?
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
think
Member # 18571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for think     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the full Wael Ghonim interview with subtitles. 3 parts, autoplay. Click CC below video if you can't see subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=SjimpQPQDuU&annotation_id=annotation_914368

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 lawyers have apparently lodged a petition with the court against HM over the $70 billion, it was reported on AJE.

Brave.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading on London to Cairo that a million people had left Egypt since this started??!! Holy smokes that's a lot.

Does anyone have any information on this? All ex-pats or vacationers or .... ?
And how could they get those figures, just from the airlines?

Also, any idea how many people have stayed? I guess I'm thinking ex-pats here since I'm not sure there's a way to count vacationers, though why anyone would want to be here on vacation right now is beyond me!

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Statement from Cairo University- faculty of law
Issued from the discussion forum held on 7/2/2011 around legal and constitutional solutions to meet the needs of the Peoples revolution

Can't help but find them a tad hypocritical I'm afraid. They should sort out their own house first. Where were they when the students' body elections were meddled with by the University security? Certain candidates being prevented from nomination and possibly other electoral irregularities. Surely it was within their powers to fix it.
I do applaud their stance of course, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is that they've lost a lot of credibility by not intervening when they were able to. If they really cared about democracy and the "youth", they wouldn't have put up with what was happening in universities.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
20 lawyers have apparently lodged a petition with the court against HM over the $70 billion, it was reported on AJE.

Brave.

It's an awesome development.

Just think, less than a month ago, an Egyptian who challenged Mubarak was sent to the dungeon to be sorted out. This is a regime that tortured people of every persuasion including a prominent secular professor (Saad Eddin Ibrahim) simply because he spoke of human rights. Hosni Mubarak's thugs tortured him so severely he's barely able to walks now.

It's beautiful to witness something truly priceless – free minds.

A murder case should also be filed against Mubarak.

A torture case should also be brought forth against Omar Suleiman. Mamdouh Habib (an Egyptian Australian) was tortured, he was innocent, proven innocent, and the torturer was non other than Omar Suleiman.

Suleiman the torturer

“In Egypt, as Habib recounts in his memoir, My Story: The Tale of a Terrorist Who Wasn’t, he was repeatedly subjected to electric shocks, immersed in water up to his nostrils and beaten. His fingers were broken and he was hung from metal hooks. At one point, his interrogator slapped him so hard that his blindfold was dislodged, revealing the identity of his tormentor: Suleiman.

Frustrated that Habib was not providing useful information or confessing to involvement in terrorism, Suleiman ordered a guard to murder a shackled prisoner in front of Habib, which he did with a vicious karate kick.”

Source:http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/02/201127114827382865.html

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I was reading on London to Cairo that a million people had left Egypt since this started??!! Holy smokes that's a lot.

Also, any idea how many people have stayed? I guess I'm thinking ex-pats here since I'm not sure there's a way to count vacationers, though why anyone would want to be here on vacation right now is beyond me!

I read that many Egyptian business men with their families had left the country,the rest i guess must have been expats or vacationers.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The moment Mubarak's men were lynched : Shocking new video shows brutal mob justice in action as protesters vow to reignite revolution

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354818/Egypt-protests-New-video-shows-mob-violence.html

Footage obtained by Al Jazeera reveals the brutality of clashes between the opposing sides as Egypt was swept up in revolutionary fervour. One clip shows a pro-Mubarak van driver being surrounded and dragged from his vehicle by a mob of anti-government demonstrators while another scene shows supporters of the regime driving directly towards protesters. ...read

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootse
Member # 18552

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for tootse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pets have been abandoned as Americans Leave Egypt

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/pets-abandoned-as-americans-leave-egypt/

Posts: 13 | From: Essex England | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tootse:

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/pets-abandoned-as-americans-leave-egypt/

See CQSY's update on the financial aspects here:

http://egyptdogs.blogspot.com/2011/01/emergency-appeal-for-funds.html

We have a separate thread about the animals situation.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020208

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tootse:

What about the opposite situation. What if you have a donkey that you want to send out of Egypt! [Confused]
Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Please put animal discussions in this thread:

I've changed the name to ANIMAL SITUATION

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The people will win! They have protested with dignity, and they keep getting stronger. They will win. [Big Grin]

Egyptians are bringing their government to their knees, without a weapon. We are a witness to history. [Smile]

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

sorry Shanta, but this donkey belongs in this thread, especially with a few sods around here who support him. Don't get me wrong sod stands for Save Our Donkey [Big Grin]
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the plans for Friday. I have just spoken to mr t and he is going back on Friday for the big day he said
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramses nemesis:
quote:

sorry Shanta, but this donkey belongs in this thread, especially with a few sods around here who support him. Don't get me wrong sod stands for Save Our Donkey [Big Grin]
Oh, I get it now - very good [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Government buildings under siege by thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators. They include Parliament and Prime Minister office.

AJ Live

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Egypt’s State Media Turns on MubarakTop State-Run Newspaper Lashes Govt, Praises Protesters by Jason Ditz, February 07, 2011

After 30 years of championing President Hosni Mubarak on all issues, one of the strongest voices in Egypt’s state-run media, the al-Ahram newspaper, has led its Monday issue with a front page editorial reversing that stance.

The editorial, written by editor-in-chief Osama Saraya, cheers the “nobility” of the growing protest movement against Mubarak and lambastes the dictator for refusing to make serious changes.

The article didn’t explicitly call for President Mubarak to resign but the demands for reform spark a major shift from the paper, Egypt’s largest and most respected, and Saraya’s history as an advocate who can spin anything Mubarak does as heroic appears over.

Indeed, the entire state media aparatus appears to have noticed that their effort to gloss over the uprising is dramatically damaging their credibility, and all are starting to reverse course and add at least some coverage of the only thing going on in Egypt that really matters to most.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ES really has become just a site for collating what is available to read online!!!

I miss conversations!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
At least there's less spam - it gets buried quite quickly [Smile]

EDIT and Shanta must be zapping it - haven't seen much these days at all

Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

Brave.

It's an awesome development.

Just think, less than a month ago, an Egyptian who challenged Mubarak was sent to the dungeon to be sorted out. This is a regime that tortured people of every persuasion including a prominent secular professor (Saad Eddin Ibrahim) simply because he spoke of human rights. Hosni Mubarak's thugs tortured him so severely he's barely able to walks now.

It's beautiful to witness something truly priceless – free minds.

A murder case should also be filed against Mubarak.

A torture case should also be brought forth against Omar Suleiman. Mamdouh Habib (an Egyptian Australian) was tortured, he was innocent, proven innocent, and the torturer was non other than Omar Suleiman.

Suleiman the torturer

“In Egypt, as Habib recounts in his memoir, My Story: The Tale of a Terrorist Who Wasn’t, he was repeatedly subjected to electric shocks, immersed in water up to his nostrils and beaten. His fingers were broken and he was hung from metal hooks. At one point, his interrogator slapped him so hard that his blindfold was dislodged, revealing the identity of his tormentor: Suleiman.

Frustrated that Habib was not providing useful information or confessing to involvement in terrorism, Suleiman ordered a guard to murder a shackled prisoner in front of Habib, which he did with a vicious karate kick.”

Source:http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/02/201127114827382865.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Suleiman#cite_note-trs-

I see america was sending people to sulaiman to torture.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So much so that each and one of us dares to have a personal opinion. No running in packs, for us!
;D

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Fair enough.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
quote:

So much so that each and one of us dares to have a personal opinion. No running in packs, for us!
;D

Sorry, are you trying to suggest to the posters that disagree with you that we are somehow a "pack" ganging up on you?

So, when you post about how egyptians think this or that, that's your personal opinion. When others post and disagree with you, we're ganging up on you.

Do I have that right? (edit, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm confused by your posts)

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At least there's less spam - it gets buried quite quickly [Smile]

EDIT and Shanta must be zapping it - haven't seen much these days at all

Spammers are probably too busy just either watching the actual news or actually reading websites!
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
4 Nevermind: I merely asked the question to put what you were saying in some sort of context, logically. Tareq I can understand - he has no concept of democracy because he's never known it. If you have, then I can't comprehend why you don't believe the Egyptians deserve the same fundamental rights as you've enjoyed.

I'm not ganging up on you or attacking you or what not. I was just trying to see whether I understand you. Now I know I don't.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I think a lot of the spammers are from China. For a period of time, if you were in China, the word 'Egypt' was blocked from some searches.
Maybe it's related.
I have only zapped about 7 or 8 bits of spam!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
quote:

Oh haha - sorry had a sense of humour bypass this afternoon.
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Re: the spammers. Wow. At least there's proof that one good thing has come out of all this.

Well, kind of. Is it a fundamental human right to be allowed to spam?

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

I heard that 160,000 people were leaving daily, this is from Egyptian State TV. They have airport entry/exit records, but who knows if this figure is accurate. Of this #, 100K are claimed to be tourists. Does the math add up? How many passengers are on an average airplane … maybe 300?

300/160000 = That's 533 flights per day. I thought flights were limited. Minus people who departed over land, is Egypt even able to handle this many flights per day?

One thing was quite odd was Iraqis leaving. Kind of feel sorry for them.

Many students if not most students from S.E.A have been evacuated, according to press reports. Chinese nationals as well, there were 6000 there and all evacuated, reportedly. Gulf Arabs were also getting out of there, many with their 4x4/cars through Sinai and onto the the Arabian Pennisueala.

It just seems like 160K per day is a lot, and even if that number was correct, I'm sure it wasn't continous.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Tried to find a news article online. And it is 160,000 total, not daily. That's much more logical.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/world/2011/02/report-more-160000-foreigners-flee-egypt?category=50

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Ok I was right the first time [Big Grin] Sorry for the confusion. I knew I heard 160K/100K tourists per day, but when I searched 160K leaving Egypt daily, the results were 160K total.

Mr. Torturer apparently reiterated the staggering numbers I quoted above.

“Egyptian state television, newly appointed Vice President Omar Suleiman said a million tourists had left the country since the unrest began last week, costing the national economy about $1 billion so far.”

http://abcnews.go.com/International/egypt-pyramids-king-tut-valley-kings-protected-tourists/story?id=12832571

This was written Feb 4, or ten days after Jan 25th.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for finding that info. Seems hard to believe though eh, a million people?? Even taking into consideration airports at the Red Sea and in Alex.

Maybe he was just pulling a number out of the air to make it seem worse than it was? To make it seem like the protesters were causing so much damage, etc. ?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
“Egyptian state television, newly appointed Vice President Omar Suleiman said a million tourists had left the country since the unrest began last week, costing the national economy about $1 billion so far.”

This was written Feb 4, or ten days after Jan 25th.

Something not quite right about those numbers. How many tourists does Egypt get a year? and how much does Egypt make from tourism?
If we lost one billion in ten days, this means that - assuming a uniform distribution of tourism income across the year - we make around 36 billion US dollars a year. This is somewhere around 600 billion LE a year!!! Get out of here!

On the other hand, if we assume that this is a peak season and that for the rest of the year the income is not that high, then we can assume say 100 billion LE a year. Still sounds way too much in my view.
I doubt even the whole budget of Egypt is that much. And we're talking tourism only, there's still other sources of income like Petroleum and Suez Canal revenue.
I have to admit though, I don't know Egypt's annual budget. Can somebody around here perhaps illuminate us on the issue. I'm sure there must be some business people around.

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a quick glance at this page...
We have 2 big travel companies in Belgium; Thomas Cook and Sunjets.
One set in planes to evacuate all Belgian tourists out of the whole of Egypt.
The other company said they coud stay cause the Red Sea area seemed safe. I read tourists sypathised with the Egyptian people and peacefully walked with them in the streets...
I have no idea about the number of people.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
"Tourism currently accounts for 11.3% of Egypt’s GDP directly and indirectly, which provides the country with a share of 21.4% of foreign currency and a share of 44.1% of the non-tradable exports. In 2008/09, tourism generated receipts worth in excess of USD 10.5 billion and revenues are expected to increase substantially in the coming years as both the number of tourists and the average duration of stay are on the rise. Tourism also contributes with 4% of total investment and 13% of the total investments of production services, where the private sector investments play a major role with around 73% of these investments."

Couldn't tell you how accurate that info is, but the site is here:

http://www.gafinet.org/English/SectorsValuePreposition/Tourism%20Value%20Proposition-2010.pdf

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was reading today that the Suez Canal generates roughly $13M DAILY. That's a lot of ayish balady!!
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Was reading today that the Suez Canal generates roughly $13M DAILY. That's a lot of ayish balady!!

ok, so Laura contributed about 4.5 Bil USD, and Monkey another 10.5 Bil USD, anybody else wants to contribute? We're still short of the one Bil USD per ten days his excellency was talking about, and that's from tourism alone. That's a 100 Mil USD a day, about 7.5 times Suez Canal.

C'mon folks, don't be stingy, dig deeper in your pockets!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

ok, so Laura contributed about 4.5 Bil USD, and Monkey another 10.5 Bil USD, anybody else wants to contribute? We're still short of the one Bil USD per ten days his excellency was talking about, and that's from tourism alone. That's a 100 Mil USD a day, about 7.5 times Suez Canal.

C'mon folks, don't be stingy, dig deeper in your pockets!

Ahem......my money goes directly into my Swiss Bank Account [Wink]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by think:
Here is the full Wael Ghonim interview with subtitles. 3 parts, autoplay. Click CC below video if you can't see subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=SjimpQPQDuU&annotation_id=annotation_914368

Thanks for the link, I've just watched the interview. Obviously he's an intelligent fellow, but for some reason the interview didn't do it all for me I'm afraid. It's a bit like Amr Khalid, he's also very intelligent and articulate, but for some reason I couldn't connect with him. That doesn't take from either of them by the way.
There are a three things that I didn't like
1- The presenter/interviewer is bigging him up too much. She seems to have the same state TV mentality, even though this is a private channel. That's how Mubarak and others before him were made. When people keep telling them how great they are, and after a while they believe it, and then it becomes unquestionable to the extent that without them the country falls into "chaos".
2- The guy himself seems to be making the same mistake he's criticising in others, and that is to make assumptions about other people's motives. That's when he's talking about getting their share in the cake, etc. He seems to refuse to accept that other people may be as well-intentioned as he is, just because they belong to some party or political movement.
3- The last bit came across as rather contrived, for me at least. His crying and then the sad music. I'm not necessarily suggesting that his tears are not genuine, but the sad music accompanying it makes it a bit staged, especially that we're led to believe at the begining that the interview is live. Maybe the music was added later before uploading to the net and wasn't there originally, in which case it didn't really help the cause.

In any event, irrespective of my view of the interview which I'm sure many will not share, I wish him and all the others well and I wish the revolution succeeds.

This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  45  46  47   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com