EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » God Delusion and Ancient Egpyt... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: God Delusion and Ancient Egpyt...
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Precisely what are you referring
to and exactly what do you want?

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:
al Takruri about your knack for making premature judgement on things that you rarely understand, especially about people you've never even read. Two can play this game, that you are starting.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short, very short context indeed.
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread has gone seriously off topic and I'm still confused [Frown]

Except, Clyde Winters' words on Jesus' TRUE INTENT (as opposed to the DOCTRINES introduced by Paul the so-called apostle)was very inspiring. I lashed out at some fundamentalist pentecostal Nigerian Christians (who also happen to be members of my family) on Facebook yesterday and they just couldn't come back with anything. I disqualified them with LOGIC. [Cool]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay-Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My question is: WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THIS BOOK'S PROPOSITION THAT THE CREATOR CONCEPT IS A DELUSION??? [/QB]

From my point of view both Athiests and Theists are both full of shi'ite...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From my point of view both Athiests and Theists are both full of shi'ite...
Exactly.

All the big questions are unanswerable and everytime we learn more there is increasing evidence these questions will always be unanswerable.

The little questions are unanswerable as well but this is far less apparent.

All we really have are our senses and a far too short lifespan. We might as well try to make the most of these gifts and enjoy our stay. When we shuffle off the mortal coil we'll mostly be remembered for how we treated other people. If more people lived accordingly it might be a more pleasant world.

If you want to believe in science or religion that's mostly OK but when that belief starts stacking the bodies like cordwood we should ask ourselves if our God(s) would really approve or what physical law says that some people should be murdered.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nay-sayer asks:
My question is: ''WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THIS BOOK'S PROPOSITION THAT THE CREATOR CONCEPT IS A DELUSION???''

Retrace your steps and you will discover this has already been discussed.

However, if one subscribes to this:

''From my point of view both Athiests and Theists are both full of shi'ite...''

...then there will have been no need to even start the topic. With this conversation-stifling attitude all that needed be done is, yes they are full of it or no they are not, in a simple poll form.This way an answer would have been provided to suit everyone, or nearly everyone; plus it would have been easily seen there was no substance to the topic to begin with under that format.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumman f6f:
Nay-sayer asks:
My question is: ''WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THIS BOOK'S PROPOSITION THAT THE CREATOR CONCEPT IS A DELUSION???''

Nay-Sayer didn't ask that question. I did.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
When I posted the below,

quote:
Nay-sayer asks:

...and Horus said:

''Nay-Sayer didn't ask that question. I did.''

I was aware of this since quoted blocks were used but decided not to look on the other page for the original quote for correction. Since Nay-Sayer used Horus' comment in the form of a question to preface his comments my motivation was the same in replying to Nay-Sayer.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^cool
Player 13
Member # 7037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Player 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith is just that, faith, it cannot be shown to be true or false, we believe what suits us, and there are a great many beliefs to choose from. We can even construct our own personal belief.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever a topic begins with asking the question of whether a Supreme Being exists, it is naturally going to be confronted from a scientific standpoint and/or a theological one. Hence, the discourse inevitably takes the form of alternating back and forth exchanges from a scientific perspective and theological perspective. It all comes down to when the Universe began, how it began, and thereof life on earth; these are the questions that both science and theology ultimately seek to answer. Clearly, this is what's happening here, and once it's understood, one absolves oneself from confusion.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^exactly MS
Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
RU2Religious

quote:

If you haven't met the Most High/Allah/E-loh/Y`hwah personally then you can't say anything that would make me truly believe you. In the ancient days according to Grecian documentation of so-called Hebrew scriptures the Most High always showed himself to the people ... Why did he stop now? Do you have a so-called logical explanation for me? Absolutely not! You will say that man is being punished for their evil doings and the Most High cannot look upon evil in its purest form yet the Most High created all things which basically mean he cannot look up its own creation ... lol B/S!!!!

First of all no one has ever met the Creator. Moses saw him in the form of a firey bush. The other prophets only recieved information via Angels, i.e., Gabriel, Ariel and etc. So even if someone told you they had spoken to the Creator you probably wouldn't believe them unless you wanted to believe.

Everything is ying and yang. As a result, your role in life may be the skeptic searcher.

You appear to want someone to provide you with some evidence of a Creator--which is impossible if you are not meant to belief. Remember the Creator could make everyone belief if he saw fit. Instead , S/He allows you to choose.

You have not read what I have written. I said that the Creator punishes no one, because we are only probably playing a role in his Great Book. You probably go to the Movies and have a favorite genre.

The people in the films are play acting but it appears Oh so real. Our life on earth is just as intense.

If we are playing a role in the Great Book, this is all illusion just like the movies we see at the threatre. Therefore what we see as evil is only such due to our ideas about good and bad. Ideas which were partially scripted by the Creator, who allows us the free will to make the scene materialize anyway we see fit.

You only expect punishment from the Creator if you belong to a religious group. It is the leader of your group and co-religiousionists who propagate this reality of punishment.

Many people today no longer believe in a religion. They don't go to temple, mosque or church but--they are good people who treat their neighbor as they would want themselves to be treated and have strong faith in a Creator.

It is the people who belong to religions that are fighting. In many conflicts the combatants belong to different sects of the same religion,e.g., Shia against Sunni in Iran. In the U.S., the Catholics don't like the Baptist, and both groups dispise Jehovah Witnesses.

The only slaves you find are people who believ in religions. People who are enslaved by religions do this on their own. They invent dogmas which have no basis in fact but sound great because it allows the individual to feel part of a group, and nurtures the individual's ego through the belief that the follower of a specific religion is better than members of another religion, and the nonbeliever.

The belief in a Creator makes no one a slave. It is belief in a religion and becoming a member of a group that enslaves you.

Actually after rereading your post I found it a very good post ...

My bad ... bad interpretation on my part ... I regress!

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Whenever a topic begins with asking the question of whether a Supreme Being exists, it is naturally going to be confronted from a scientific standpoint and/or a theological one. Hence, the discourse inevitably takes the form of alternating back and forth exchanges from a scientific perspective and theological perspective. It all comes down to when the Universe began, how it began, and thereof life on earth; these are the questions that both science and theology ultimately seek to answer. Clearly, this is what's happening here, and once it's understood, one absolves oneself from confusion.

Thanks for this Mystery Solver. I find that as time passes, my understanding of these things deepen. I found a video on youtube that throws light on what you said:

i.e."Hence, the discourse inevitably takes the form of alternating back and forth exchanges from a scientific perspective and theological perspective."

The video: http://youtube.com/results?search_query=alan+watts

Please tell me what you think of the video and what it tries to explain.

Cheers.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
I think this pretty much sums it all up:

"The absolute is not within the reach of intellect,
For intellect is grounded in the relative."

Player 13
Member # 7037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Player 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no objective scientific evidence for the existence of any God. However science is not advanced enough to rule out God completely.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Interesting how you covered your tracks and straddled the fence at the same time.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What is 'straddling the fence' about the fact that science is unable to prove the non-existence of God?
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
No, Djehuti, science isn't straddling the fence Player 13 is.
Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naga Def Wolofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no almighty God, that is a concept that has been extrapolated from ancestor and celestial body worship. Anyone that ascribes to the existence of a God has been conditioned by these misinterpretations through out history.

I think it is humorous how the people on this board act like they are scientists, but then believe in a God. A stalemate statement like "science can't disprove God" only goes into the category of the status quo...which would be the belief in a God for the government to control you and leave you helpless and blind.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The belief in God while for the most part being derived from older religious traditions is a personal belief that is moreso based on an individual's spiritual beliefs or rather beliefs in the existence of a spirit(s).

I'm not actually a religious person, but let's say I am open to the idea of a higher power or consciousness. Science is a tool for understanding the universe, but let's be honest we don't know or understand everything in the cosmos yet if we even can.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naga Def Wolofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^This has no bearing on the question of a God existing or not which is the point of contention.

Ignorance of the universe does not justify ignorance of how a God concept came into existence in human history.

By the way what is a "spirit" and what is "spiritual"?

I can't stand people that say "I am not religious, but I am spiritual" <---that is just an ignorant cop out really.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Naga Def Wolofi:

I think it is humorous how the people on this board act like they are scientists, but then believe in a God.

Such an idea is humorous to you, because you unwarrantedly *assumed* that all scientists are atheists.

Plus, one either acknowledges a scientific fact or one doesn't; there is no room for "acting like a scientist".

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Naga Def Wolofi says:
''There is no almighty God, that is a concept that has been extrapolated from ancestor and celestial body worship.''

So how did the extrapolation form itself around the ancestors so much so that it persists to this day? You way out is much to fast, meaning you must have some proof there is no deity given the nature or your specific comment. Your belief leaves you stranded just like everyone else who is curious about it.

''I think it is humorous how the people on this board act like they are scientists, but then believe in a God.''

My issue isn't whether scientists, or some scientists, will be atheistic, that's just another human perception. Mine is how can Naga Def Wolofi allow himself to be hamstrung by a belief he doesn't know to be true either, that is, the non-existence of a Deity.

''A stalemate statement like "science can't disprove God" only goes into the category of the status quo...which would be the belief in a God for the government to control you and leave you helpless and blind.''

Which geographical area of the world are you referring to and how would that government control someone who has a belief in God in the sense they would be ''helpless and blind''? Keep in mind I'm not talking about an individual, or some individuals' strict adherence to religion brought on by themselves in many cases.

''Ignorance of the universe does not justify ignorance of how a God concept came into existence in human history.''

So Naga Def Wolofi says those who accept a Deity shouldn't have arrived at their conclusion because of their ignorance of the universe? I confess ignorance here. How are they related?

''I can't stand people that say "I am not religious, but I am spiritual''

I have questioned spirituality myself, and still do, since the brain is a very complex piece of equipment. Yet someone's spirituality is their truth, not mine. It isn't mine because I don't know it. Having said that why should the concept of spirituality upset you, other than the fact it, well, does (details). A lot of people don't see the need for denominational acceptance but feel in tune with themselves to such a degree they call it spiritual.

''that is just an ignorant cop out really.''

With regards to what?

Member # 11484

Rate Member
I think this pretty much still sums it all up:

[Wink]

Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I think it is humorous how the people on this board act like they are scientists, but then believe in a God.

Such an idea is humorous to you, because you unwarrantedly *assumed* that all scientists are atheists.

Plus, one either acknowledges a scientific fact or one doesn't; there is no room for "acting like a scientist".

You impose an "atheist" title onto me or anyone that knows there is no God?

It is scientific fact that a God is not needed for the physical universe nor biology. You need to do your research on that [Big Grin] But if you like being a little boy and believing in sky daddies and fairies that make you feel comfortable and special yet expect people to take you serious about "bio-genetics" then HEY be my guest kiddo lol [Roll Eyes]

Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
quote:
So how did the extrapolation form itself around the ancestors so much so that it persists to this day? You way out is much to fast, meaning you must have some proof there is no deity given the nature or your specific comment. Your belief leaves you stranded just like everyone else who is curious about it.
It's called law and government reprimand and propaganda. Wars, Swords, Guns, Imperialization, religious books do I need to go on? Why do people still believe in Santa Claus; myths last as long as they are continued to be built by those who have power and interest in them?

Now I will ask you to present evidence of a God, now of course you CAN'T present evidence of a God because there isn't one!!! So was that too hard?!?!

quote:
My issue isn't whether scientists, or some scientists, will be atheistic, that's just another human perception. Mine is how can Naga Def Wolofi allow himself to be hamstrung by a belief he doesn't know to be true either, that is, the non-existence of a Deity.

Read the above reply lol. Positive claims warrant the burden of proof.

quote:
Which geographical area of the world are you referring to and how would that government control someone who has a belief in God in the sense they would be ''helpless and blind''? Keep in mind I'm not talking about an individual, or some individuals' strict adherence to religion brought on by themselves in many cases.
This is actually a good question. I am referring to Christians and Muslims considering that 5 out of 6 billion people believe in this one deity from the two religion's books. They all believe due to violence and government and if you trace their family history back no matter how far back it goes they were forced to convert one way or another.

quote:
So Naga Def Wolofi says those who accept a Deity shouldn't have arrived at their conclusion because of their ignorance of the universe? I confess ignorance here. How are they related?
My reply about the ignorance to the universe was to Djehuty's comment about how our ignorance of the Universe somehow is correlated to the possibility of a God. How are they related? Ask him.

quote:
I have questioned spirituality myself, and still do, since the brain is a very complex piece of equipment. Yet someone's spirituality is their truth, not mine. It isn't mine because I don't know it. Having said that why should the concept of spirituality upset you, other than the fact it, well, does (details). A lot of people don't see the need for denominational acceptance but feel in tune with themselves to such a degree they call it spiritual.
I am not here to hear some testimony. I don't see what this has to do with anything I said.

quote:
With regards to what?
The fact that spiritual vs religious belief in a God is no different therefore it's appeal to sympathy-like tone bears no merit in the contention.
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

quote:

quote:

quote:

Take reading lessons - is my advice to you, def lil gal.

quote:

But if you like being a little boy and believing in sky daddies and fairies that make you feel comfortable and special yet expect people to take you serious about "bio-genetics" then HEY be my guest kiddo lol [Roll Eyes]

If you like being a wussy little retard who jabbers on about something nobody has any idea about that makes you feel special and yet expect human beings to understand you, let alone take you seriously, then be my guest def lil munchkin, LOL.

..and please do keep rolling those little beedy red eyes of yours until they pop out, if it is supposed to give you some sort of a demented therapeutic soothing, LOL.

Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
Somebody got his clit burned. Ok white girl, don't let the big bad black guy scare you about your God delusion [Smile]
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

quote:

Somebody got his clit burned.

Yeap, and you'll get some more [burning] done to you, if you don't hop along now to your little hole.
Player 13
Member # 7037

Rate Member
All religions have the same basic ingredients, with local variations. Laws are introduced in order to control the population. These laws come from a higher authority that can not be challenged because they come from a source beyond the reach, or question, of man. It keeps the population in check - follow the 'law' or be punished, obey and be rewarded, though not in this life of course which we admit is pretty horrible, but after you die and go to paradise. So go back to your grubby hovel, scratch a living from the dirt, bury your dead and don't bother us again with your stupid questions.

All religion is nothing more than an attempt to control a population by enforcing 'laws' that come from a higher authority that is beyond challenge, It is used as an extremely powerful tool to keep people 'in line'. It is particularly useful in circumstances where the population are under duress, be it poverty, starvation, tyranny. whatever, because then the powers that rule will assure you that you must accept your lot, lead a good life, don't rock the boat and cause any trouble, and you will be rewarded in the next life. The more you apply cold logic to it, the more senseless and totally meaningless the whole charade becomes, except as a means of control.

It can be no coincidence that the countries that have the poorest populations also have strongest and harshest religions.

It is of course just as impossible for me to prove that all religions are false as it is for believers to prove that religions are true.

Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
When Nag Def Wolofi says to me: ''Now I will ask you to present evidence of a God, now of course you CAN'T present evidence of a God because there isn't one!!! So was that too hard?!?!''

Then he uses this, from me:

''My issue isn't whether scientists, or some scientists, will be atheistic, that's just another human perception. Mine is how can Naga Def Wolofi allow himself to be hamstrung by a belief he doesn't know to be true either, that is, the non-existence of a Deity.''

To say:

''Positive claims warrant the burden of proof.'' all the while not realizing his claim is also a positive statement and requires the same kind of proof. I'm thinking Naga's comprehension suffers because of his predetermined attitude which doesn't allow for open-ended rebuttal for fear he will be asked to present the proof he has for the non-existence of a Deity.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

^^^This has no bearing on the question of a God existing or not which is the point of contention.

Ignorance of the universe does not justify ignorance of how a God concept came into existence in human history.

I can't stand people that say "I am not religious, but I am spiritual" <---that is just an ignorant cop out really.

You fail to realize that the origin of the concept of God is rooted in the concept of spirit since 'God' by definition is a spirit.

If you don't know what a spirit is regardless of if you believe in it or not, then your ignorance is greater than I thought. [Eek!]

A spirit is an entity that exists without physical form, but something more abstract usually energy.

Science has not proven either way that God as a supreme spiritual entity or force in the universe exists.

By the way, what I said was I'm not that religious period. I never said anything about being not religious "but spiritual". If you're going to try to quote me at least do so properly.

Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troll Exterminator         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<<looooool>> which published worldwide study (polling) of scientists are you basing this crack-crap on - to suggest that there are no scientists who believe in a deity?
Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troll Exterminator         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

hell ya, your disbelief in a god, makes you an atheist par excellence...your ignorance of this common sense, is a wonder onto itself <<lol>>
Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

You fail to realize that the origin of the concept of God is rooted in the concept of spirit since 'God' by definition is a spirit.

If you don't know what a spirit is regardless of if you believe in it or not, then your ignorance is greater than I thought. [Eek!]

huuuuge understatement! you're attempting to get through to some seriously blockheaded godless wacko who isn't even aware of the fact that h/she or it smacks of a freakin' atheist....this no-brainer reality obvioulsy flies over that low heavy brow-ridge skull of his/hers/its...need more be said? I think not!!!!! <<lol>>
Henu
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Somebody got his clit burned. Ok white girl, don't let the big bad black guy scare you about your God delusion [Smile]

Naga Def Wolofi, consider this your first warning. Insults are not permitted here and will not be tolerated.
Posts: 113 | From: Dayr al-Barsha | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay-Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Young H*O*R*U*S:
My question is: WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THIS BOOK'S PROPOSITION THAT THE CREATOR CONCEPT IS A DELUSION???

Perfectly acceptable. How is it that "God" can create the Universe yet only leave behind circumstantial evidence that "He/She/It" is the author of creation?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Circumstantial evidence convicts a lot of people in a court of law according to what I've read over the years. I guess a translation of circumstantial evidence could be a faith without the religious overtones. So the answer is still, views from the opposing camps; it's a standoff; take your pick.
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
I like this analogy of a bullet shot from a gun as being representative of the invisible made visible.

At no time is a bullet made "invisible". High speed cameras have no problems at all photographing a bullet as it travels along it's trajectory...
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nay-Sayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Young H*O*R*U*S:
My question is: WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THIS BOOK'S PROPOSITION THAT THE CREATOR CONCEPT IS A DELUSION???

Perfectly acceptable. How is it that "God" can create the Universe yet only leave behind circumstantial evidence that "He/She/It" is the author of creation?

[Smile]

Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:

On the other hand, to argue that the universe just popped up from nowhere at a non-existent time boggles my imagination.

It is equally mind-boggling to accuse some all-powerful 'being' of having created the universe in the absense of any direct evidence...
Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

A spirit is an entity that exists without physical form, but something more abstract usually energy.

Science has not proven either way that God as a supreme spiritual entity or force in the universe exists.

By the way, what I said was I'm not that religious period. I never said anything about being not religious "but spiritual". If you're going to try to quote me at least do so properly.

Please cite the source that God means spirit. I have seen nothing of the sort.

Please define spirit. The definition you gave is not attested for:

spir·it /ˈspɪrɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spir-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul.
2. the incorporeal part of humans: present in spirit though absent in body.
3. the soul regarded as separating from the body at death.
4. conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter: the world of spirit.
5. a supernatural, incorporeal being, esp. one inhabiting a place, object, etc., or having a particular character: evil spirits.
6. a fairy, sprite, or elf.
7. an angel or demon.
8. an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform.
9. (initial capital letter) the divine influence as an agency working in the human heart.
10. a divine, inspiring, or animating being or influence. Num. 11:25; Is. 32:15.
11. (initial capital letter) the third person of the Trinity; Holy Spirit.
12. the soul or heart as the seat of feelings or sentiments, or as prompting to action: a man of broken spirit.
13. spirits, feelings or mood with regard to exaltation or depression: low spirits; good spirits.
14. excellent disposition or attitude in terms of vigor, courage, firmness of intent, etc.; mettle: That's the spirit!
15. temper or disposition: meek in spirit.
16. an individual as characterized by a given attitude, disposition, character, action, etc.: A few brave spirits remained to face the danger.
17. the dominant tendency or character of anything: the spirit of the age.
18. vigorous sense of membership in a group: college spirit.
19. the general meaning or intent of a statement, document, etc. (opposed to letter): the spirit of the law.
20. Chemistry. the essence or active principle of a substance as extracted in liquid form, esp. by distillation.
21. Often, spirits. a strong distilled alcoholic liquor.
22. Chiefly British. alcohol.
23. Pharmacology. a solution in alcohol of an essential or volatile principle; essence.
24. any of certain subtle fluids formerly supposed to permeate the body.
25. the Spirit, God.
–adjective
26. pertaining to something that works by burning alcoholic spirits: a spirit stove.
27. of or pertaining to spiritualist bodies or activities.
–verb (used with object)
28. to animate with fresh ardor or courage; inspirit.
29. to encourage; urge on or stir up, as to action.
30. to carry off mysteriously or secretly (often fol. by away or off): His captors spirited him away.
—Idiom
31. out of spirits, in low spirits; depressed: We were feeling out of spirits after so many days of rain.

[Origin: 1200–50; ME (n.) < L spīritus orig., a breathing, equiv. to spīri-, comb. form repr. spīrāre to breathe + -tus suffix of v. action]

Spirit derives from "breathing" because obviously humans didn't fully understand "air" because it isn't seen, but realized or used for breathing. So it makes perfect sense how this "spirit" you speak of has evolved from obfuscation. Spirit is talking about breath or air. The bible says ..and god breathed the breath of life into Adam. I can deal with that, but there is a problem. God and breath are two separate entities in this context and since you said God = spirit and spirit equals breath how then is your summation correct?

Please prove spirit.

Please prove God.

Waiting....

Naga Def Wolofi
Member # 14535

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ?:
quote:

huuuuge understatement! you're attempting to get through to some seriously blockheaded godless wacko who isn't even aware of the fact that h/she or it smacks of a freakin' atheist....this no-brainer reality obvioulsy flies over that low heavy brow-ridge skull of his/hers/its...need more be said? I think not!!!!! <<lol>>
^^^Funny how this isn't an insult, but I guess this is one of those Afrocentric sites run for and by filthy African Americans like that Mystery clown so they can say what they want while everyone else has to obey [Confused]
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think its an Egyptian or Horner who
moderates this list outside dimensions of
criticism of anything he does -- like some 2nd
or 3rd world elitist or dictator head politico.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
''Filthy African Americans''? Really!
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, I have to ask exactly what 'oh so clean' background do you come from Naga? I assume West African by "Wolofi". [Roll Eyes]
Novel
Member # 14348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Novel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides Michael Vick, has anybody ever seen a dog fight? This African versus African American is its equivalent. Somebody is benefited and wholly entertained but it is not the African or African American.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/palaboy_me/petplanet/fightsm.jpg

Continue entertaining?...

Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

quote:

^^^Funny how this isn't an insult, but I guess this is one of those Afrocentric sites run for and by filthy African Americans like that Mystery clown so they can say what they want while everyone else has to obey [Confused]
Hey lil d*ck sucking pimp, you're obviously too *def* and dense in that thick head for your own good, to see a warning when given one. It's high time your ass is outta here. That's the only thing that will effectively remedy your complete intellectual impedance.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com