EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Race of the Ancient Egyptians (Page 19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   
Author Topic: The Race of the Ancient Egyptians
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hawass didn't specifically refer to AEs as blacks, but what he did say gave that implication by using blacks as a reference point.

"Look at the black in Egypt and look at his features (his lips, nose, etc.); they are completely different from the negro"..[I]

^Hawass is a borderline loon. He then goes on to say in the same program:

[i]Yes, Egypt is in Africa, but it has nothing to do with African cultures"

^Notwithstanding the inextricable ties with Egypt to the south, if the nation-state of Egypt arose on African soil (as did its people), then how in the world is Egypt different from African cultures when it is obviously just that?! This is the type of insanity that we must deal with in people like Hawass and Miguel. Even if they're well-intended, this type of contradictory malarkey is inexcusable.

Basically, the Egyptians were black, but not "black". Egyptian culture was African born, but not "African". Am I missing something here? [Confused]

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ I stand corrected, then-- apparently Hawass is going by the stereotypical "negroid" vs. "Hamitic type"! LOL

"Yes, Egypt is in Africa, but it has nothing to do with African cultures"

LOL at the self-contradiction, especially considering that in many other programs Hawass stressed and emphasized how Egypt was not a Western Asian culture either!

So what was it then? It was just a "unique" culture that developed in a totall vaccuum, huh?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hawass is of the opinion that while Egypt is geographically African its culture was distinct from its neighbors as were its people (which he supports being considered racially Caucasoid).

In that same program you are talking about Sundiata, Hawass was even of the opinion that modern Egyptians are not Arabs ethnically, they only speak Arabic.

CNN ran a secial segment on the National Geographic, King Tut Reconstruction controversy. This is what Hawass said during the segment if memory serves me right.

"King Tut was an African. Egypt is in Africa, so that's certainly something to be proud of. But they were scientifically NOT BLACK!!!!"

Hawass obviously subscribes to the racist "True Negro" concept. Ofcourse he is not an anthropologist and not qualified to speak objectively on that subject. We know that the work of Hiernaux, Keita, Lovell, Zakrzewski and others have debunked that concept.

He also does not have the credentials to speak objectively on Ancient Egypt's culture being unrelated to other African cultures. He talks only about cultural developments he feels are unique to Ancient Egypt without addressing the similarities in customs to other Africans that African historians, archeologists and linguists have made.

Btw, about the "Black" vs. Negro features Hawass was talking about. I believe that quote is paraphrased from the audio clip at the bottom of this page.

The Peoples of the Nile Valley

Hawass's sentence structure when he speaks English is not the best. I think what he was saying was that the paintings of Ancient Egyptians on their own walls made a distinction between Egyptians and "Negroes".

He was saying "look at the Black in the pictures" and "Look at the Egyptian today", "Look at the nose etc. etc.".

Ofcourse we know that Ancient Egyptian art did not depict race. Art was highly stylized and the Egyptians only made distinctions among the Ethno-Nationalities known to them. Many depictions the Egyptians made of themselves have features Hawass might describe as "Negroid". And ofcourse Biological Africans do not conform to one set phenotype. The Ancient Egyptians were craniofacially variable.

I'd love to see Hawass in a debate with some of the top scholars in the world like those who contributed to the book "Egypt in Africa" and watch how easily he and like minded are picked apart on all of this misinformed distortions.

But unfortunately he will continue to get airtime and the media will show angry African-American protestors opposing forensic reconstructions that he sponsored while historical documentaries continue to re-enact Ancient Egyptians "Caucasoid Hamites", in the image that Hawass sees himself and his people.

Modern Black Egyptians, like those who broke their backs on his excavations of Karnak temple, will continue to be the nameless laborers doing all the hard work for these documentaries. [Frown]

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd love to see Hawass in a debate with some of the top scholars in the world like those who contributed to the book "Egypt in Africa" and watch how easily he and like minded are picked apart on all of this misinformed distortions.
But actually what's his background?
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:
Even if they're well-intended, this type of contradictory malarkey is inexcusable.

Basically, the Egyptians were black, but not "black". Egyptian culture was African born, but not "African". Am I missing something here? [Confused]

Nah, you've got it about right. Hawass is not a racist....but, he is.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ LOL No. Yes! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:
quote:
Hawass comes from the eastern Delta city of Damietta, one of the most Arab cities in Egypt.

Now, this is not to say the guy has no native Egyptian ancestry at all, but considering his Arab background it is obviously irrelevant.

And again, I say Hawass is a perfect example of Ausar's statement of racist Arabs recieving influence from the West.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viriato
Member # 13983

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viriato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave an explanation about myself in the thread "The Never Ending Babbler" but I will repeat here.

I was never here before, nor was I ever banned. I am not a racist person...I am barely patriotic as it is, let alone racist. Certanly not a negrophobe, I will be the first to say that Portuguese have "black african" blood (yep, E3b included) and that I have it as well most certanly.

Regarding Black African, I don't like the term anthropoligically. Simply because it isn't complete in my humble oppinion of course. Africans vary so much that simply saying black african seems empty.
I don't think there's any significant difference (as in intelectual capacity or anything of the sort) between black people who look like somali or ones who look like nigerians (and then, these groups don't have a single look at all) and from what I have seen, some AE did have so called stereotypical west african features, even if most seem to have been closer to somalis or similar.
Doesn't matter anyway, for the average person they are black, and so where the AE and I guess that's the most important message to deliver to the world, not focussing on minute physical differences. So I was wrong.

I had an interesting conversation recently. Someone I was with started talking about black africans, how they were the oldest people but the less advanced. Obviously, I said that wasn't true, talked about all the great kingdoms, ghana, mali, songhay, kanem-bornu, zimbabwe, kongo, axum, and left the best for last, Ancient Egypt, the first civilization and one of the greatest if not the greatest.
Of course the other person was quite surprised and asked what I meant. And I explain, that despite what people think, AE were black africans and not meds. Then the person mentioned their fatial features who were not broad. And I said that fine features are a part of the natural variation of black africans, and that even then, some AE had the broad features as well as I have seen in some busts.
Of course, I ended by asking if the person didn't thought people like Ethiopians and Masai (examples he would have known) weren't black for him? He said of course! I don't know if he was fully convinced, but I believe so. And I hope so.

The truth does need to get out, and I shouldn't bother with technicalities of black african being a valid term or not, because for the people in the street it is, and what they need to know is the truth about black africans period.

I was a fool, and for that I apoligize if it is deemed necessary, but do not think I am somekind of racist or negrophobe, since that isn't true.
I now know better fortunately.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:
quote:
Here's a page with his background.

http://guardians.net/hawass/background.htm

He's an Archeologist and Egyptologist.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Regarding Black African, I don't like the term anthropoligically.

Black African is not and anthropology term, any more than Portugese, so trying to qualify your hatred of it in terms of anthropology makes no more sense than expressing a hatred of say "Jews" as a
"term", when it is just another attempt by you to find some way to rationalise your hatred of a people.

quote:
Someone I was with started talking about Black Africans, how they were the oldest people but the less advanced. Obviously, I said that wasn't true, talked about all the great kingdoms, ghana, mali, songhay, kanem-bornu, zimbabwe, kongo, axum, and left the best for last, Ancient Egypt, the first civilization and one of the greatest if not the greatest.
Well when we tried to engage you in honest conversation, your approach was to stonewall by claiming that Black Africans *do not exist.* So yes, that is racist and Kemo-phobic.

quote:
I was a fool, and for that I apoligize if it is deemed necessary,
I agree that your arguments were and are foolish.

I don't really care about apologies on the internet, since they are just another 'tactic' to get a troll to the next post and the next opportunity to perpetrate, but I am sure you will get eager 'suckers', er..I mean 'takers' who will fall over over themselves to accept your phony "apology".

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I thought Egyptologist was a type of archaeologist that dealt specifically with Egypt.
Viriato
Member # 13983

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viriato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is denying the existence of race (not *a* race mind you, since white europeans also don't exist to me), racist? =S
Believing that people shouldn't gather around terms like black and white racist? Because that's what I believe in, and that was my motivation (and saying that black african is a bad term to describe a peeople's phenotype..as is Portuguese of course, lol). I understand why you thought otherwise though, as well why you aren't convinced now by what I am saying.

"Well when we tried to engage you in honest conversation, your approach was to stonewall by claiming that Black Africans *do not exist.*"

It was a bad move by my part I see it now. But not a sign of racism, believe me.

I have done what I could, I am sure you will remained unconvinced, as you are entitled to. The internet isn't really the place to trust people.

Anyway, I won't bother you more, rest assured. (yes, i know, you'll believe it when you see it..and you should)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I checked you out back on August 10th
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005144;p=3#000109
and you washed clean as far as not being Jaime
(whose ideology is similar but writing style differs)
but muddied the water per past anthropology
commentary elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Miguel Antunes:
I gave an explanation about myself in the thread "The Never Ending Babbler" but I will repeat here.

I was never here before, nor was I ever banned. I am not a racist person...I am barely patriotic as it is, let alone racist. Certanly not a negrophobe, I will be the first to say that Portuguese have "black african" blood (yep, E3b included) and that I have it as well most certanly.

. . . .

I was a fool, and for that I apoligize if it is deemed necessary, but do not think I am somekind of racist or negrophobe, since that isn't true.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I thought Egyptologist was a type of archaeologist that dealt specifically with Egypt.

It is, but he also seems to hold a degree in Greco-Roman archeology.

I think the term "Egyptologist" also covers expertise in Ancient Egyptian history and culture going beyond merely an archeologist.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mansa Musa:

It is, but he also seems to hold a degree in Greco-Roman archeology.

Not that I find ones involvement in Greco-Roman archaeology itself to be a sign of Eurocentrism, but add this on to the list of Zahi's close Western associations which make his certain Western influenced biases the less surprising.

quote:
I think the term "Egyptologist" also covers expertise in Ancient Egyptian history and culture going beyond merely an archeologist.
Of course, but obviously the physical anthropology of his studies is certainly lacking.
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone has his email address? I have a few questions to ask him.
Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread still rages on.. maybe we should keep it, for all interested plainly in this topic to go in...

...anyone know where that one thread full of ’Eurocentric’ photos of Kemets art is?

It had pictures commonly used by Eurocentrists. It was quite funny.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

It's telling that Eurocentrists try to deal with the dark skin of the Km.t formally by declaring them to be 'dark' whites, or racial 'whites' regardless of skin color.

Yet when Eurocentrists are pressed for evidence they invariably seek out every faded photo or unpainted sculture they can find, usually regardless of any other phenotypical consideration.

They did the same with King Tut where they attempted physically lighten his reconstruction to make him look less obviously Black.

This tells us, that deep down, Eurocentrists don't really beleive in their formal rhetoric of dark/whites.

What takes place in the mind of these peoples is clear: When people are too dark, they become members of other 'non European', non white, "races", no matter what is offically stated for arguments sake.

This is why Eurocentrists must-needs -physically alter- the representation of the AE in order to make the lie of Euro-related-Ancient-Egypt at least superfically, more believable.

In cheesily American contexts such as Los Vegas, mock statuary of King Tut are completely depigmented - nordic - white. Why do this, if they believe it unnecessary to making a 'racial' association?

It's a form of fibbing by over-compensating.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ Yes. Another great pyschological evaluation of the Eurocentrist mind, Rasol. [Big Grin]
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
As stated in a previous post. It is also about the "benjamins" - mostly. Leucoderms are not going to pay dollars to see a pigmented King Tut. Or travel to egypt to see "more" black people when they can see that at home. And I am talking about the man on the street(Leucoderms). They may be innocent in the scheme of things. The marketing line by the powers that be is "come see one of the great white civilization". The draw will be far less if it was "come see a great black civilization". Despite what we in the Diaspora think about black economic power - we don't travel.. . .as much as the leucoderms . . .for whatever reasons.

Why do you think Rome, Spain, France and Greece are the highest tourist destinations in the world. It is about Leucoderms visiting the land of THEIR great cvivlizations. To some egypt is just one of theirs.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I seriouly doubt most, let alone all "leucoderms" feel that way! Most people, including so-called "leucoderms" are fascinated by and interested in the wonderous ancient cultures of the world, regardless of the skin color of the people who built them. In fact, I think most people like me would even be more interested in those cultures if the people who created them were people of color, especially blacks.

For someone to lose interest in ancient Egypt because the Egyptians were black is not only, of course racist, but plain stupid. Your very presumed mentality of "why see blacks abroad, when I've seen them back home" is downright idiotic, to say the least.

Not that there aren't any individuals who feel that way. [Embarrassed]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
@Djehuti -or others
Why do you think Rome, Spain, France and Greece are the highest tourist destinations in the world. And who visit these places?

Why not Walls of Zimbabwe, Timbuctuu, etc. Is it acessibility or marketing or . . . . .

Also - will the draw be the same if it was known that AE is indegenous black african

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason is that Rome, Spain, France and Greece are modern, well developed and fun places to visit even WITHOUT the ancient ruins. They have nightlife, cultural attractions and many other things to ATTRACT people and keep them occupied outside of touring monuments. Tourism is not just about ancient monuments.

If Zimbabwe, Timbuctu and those other places were developed to the level of Rome, Spain,France and elsewhere, then there would also be as much travel there. It is MODERN economic, political and military situation in these places that keeps them from being tourist hotspots, not the ancient relics. The best hotel in timbuktu is a dusty mud brick affair with not much in the way of amenities. This is certainly not something that will attract someone to spend thousands of dollars on for a vacation.

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Most sensible objective people agree. . .even Hawass. . .that AE were predominantly people like the Beja, Somali, Ethiopian, Sudanese type and not the stereotypical “true negro” West African type. Of course keeping in mind that some of each may be found in West and East Africa. Portraits of AE reflect this. .. in terms of percent make up.

Listening to the BBC link Hawass even agrees that AE was NOT even Arabs.

I read Keita et al (cranial etc)studies. . .BUT what modern genetic evidence is there that the so called “east african” type is indigenous to Africa and there is no admixture from West Asian. If someone can lay this out CLEARLY through genetics then I think the battle is won. It should also be laid out in this thread

From what I gathered E3a is a predecessor to E3b. Is this is a good starting point? I assume East Africans are E3b. But so are West Asians.

Pictures says a thousand words but it is can also be misleading eg I read someplace the “negroid” people of the south pacific are genetically further from Africans than Europeans.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XYY man,

Most of the tourist who travel to Zimbabe to visit the ruins are Europeans. same for Timbuktu. In fact, most tourists to Africa--for whatever raeson--are Europeans.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Don’t misunderstand – these are arguments/discussions sane people will like to have. When Hawass and others hear AE are black African their response is anxiety and they visual in there minds eye West Africans their interpretation of the "true negro Black african".

I am/was guilty of this and so are many people . . .unknowingly. This why forums like these are educational. I am doing the NG Genographics thing to get more info about my lineage but as I said . . .. looks can be deceiving. In the Diaspora certain “phenotypes” could be attributed to admixture and that may not be the case. My grandmother by mothers looks East African, but some of her offsprings look West African. Grandmother by fathers side looks like a tall Khoisan. My father looks like a tall Khoisan mother looks west african. But being from the Diaspora I am not sure what to expect.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Any takers for the Genetic Map?!! East Africans and some West Asians are Eb3.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

One reason is that Rome, Spain, France and Greece are modern, well developed and fun places to visit even WITHOUT the ancient ruins. They have nightlife, cultural attractions and many other things to ATTRACT people and keep them occupied outside of touring monuments. Tourism is not just about ancient monuments.

If Zimbabwe, Timbuctu and those other places were developed to the level of Rome, Spain,France and elsewhere, then there would also be as much travel there. It is MODERN economic, political and military situation in these places that keeps them from being tourist hotspots, not the ancient relics. The best hotel in timbuktu is a dusty mud brick affair with not much in the way of amenities. This is certainly not something that will attract someone to spend thousands of dollars on for a vacation.

Doug is correct. One reason why Western (European) nations that features ancient ruins seems to be more popular or attracts more tourists, is that Westerners feel much safer than in Arab or African countries.

I know one white girl who suggested to go to Africa for vacation and her parents were a little surprised-- they view Africa as a dangerous place full of political unrest as well as diseases and wild animals.

I think another reason why say 'Great Zimbabwe' is not visited is that frankly not many Westerners have even heard of it, both blacks as well as whites.

The 'Middle Eastern' countries, including Israel, are viewed as safer than Africa but not that safe. Although many Westerners visit the region each year mainly for religious experiences i.e. 'The Holy Land'. Egypt is included in the geopoliticial-religious vacation hot spot.

Would tourists be dissuaded from visiting Egypt if they found out that all the magnificent ancient ruins and cultural wonders like mummies and pharaohs were the result of black Africans?? Again, I personally do not think so. In fact, if anything it will spur more interest. You have to be a racist loon to lose interest in Egypt just because you find out its a black African culture!

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Quote: Would tourists be dissuaded from visiting Egypt if they found out that all the magnificent ancient ruins and cultural wonders like mummies and pharaohs were the result of black Africans?? Again, I personally do not think so. In fact, if anything it will spur more interest. You have to be a racist loon to lose interest in Egypt just because you find out its a black African culture!

Maybe this can be study or poll for the social scientist to do. Will they still go to Egypt if they knwo it is black African? I am of the view that about 30% of Leucoderms(US) are racist, 30% are not and 40% don't care once it(race) doesn't affect them. So you may see AT LEAST a 30% drop in tourism to Egypt.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miguel Antunes:

Regarding Black African, I don't like the term anthropoligically. Simply because it isn't complete in my humble oppinion of course. Africans vary so much that simply saying black african seems empty.

That's cool, but what do you think of the term "white"?

quote:
I don't think there's any significant difference (as in intelectual capacity or anything of the sort) between black people who look like somali or ones who look like nigerians (and then, these groups don't have a single look at all) and from what I have seen, some AE did have so called stereotypical west african features, even if most seem to have been closer to somalis or similar.
Doesn't matter anyway, for the average person they are black, and so where the AE and I guess that's the most important message to deliver to the world, not focussing on minute physical differences. So I was wrong.

I had an interesting conversation recently. Someone I was with started talking about black africans, how they were the oldest people but the less advanced. Obviously, I said that wasn't true, talked about all the great kingdoms, ghana, mali, songhay, kanem-bornu, zimbabwe, kongo, axum, and left the best for last, Ancient Egypt, the first civilization and one of the greatest if not the greatest.
Of course the other person was quite surprised and asked what I meant. And I explain, that despite what people think, AE were black africans and not meds. Then the person mentioned their fatial features who were not broad. And I said that fine features are a part of the natural variation of black africans, and that even then, some AE had the broad features as well as I have seen in some busts.
Of course, I ended by asking if the person didn't thought people like Ethiopians and Masai (examples he would have known) weren't black for him? He said of course! I don't know if he was fully convinced, but I believe so. And I hope so.

again, cool...

quote:
Miguel

The truth does need to get out, and I shouldn't bother with technicalities of black african being a valid term or not, because for the people in the street it is, and what they need to know is the truth about black africans period.

True, and so when I say ancient Kemet was made up of black africans, you should agree, accept, ofcourse, with the usage of the term black africans... (notice how many times you used black african?)

quote:
Miguel:

Unlike alot of other non-black crazies on the net, I never suspected this with you..

quote:
Orginly gassed by rasol:

I don't really care about apologies on the internet, since they are just another 'tactic' to get a troll to the next post and the next opportunity to perpetrate, but I am sure you will get eager 'suckers', er..I mean 'takers' who will fall over over themselves to accept your phony "apology".

Miguel, apology accepted. [Smile]

I guess that means you get to "perpetrate". [Smile]

And, damn, I must be trippin..

http://www.kennethkoh.net/wp-upload/2006/06/grusso%20tripped.jpg[/img]

-

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

^ LOL No. Yes! [Big Grin]

not funny lol
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
xyyman said:
''Leucoderms are not going to pay dollars to see a pigmented King Tut. Or travel to egypt to see "more" black people when they can see that at home. And I am talking about the man on the street(Leucoderms). They may be innocent in the scheme of things. The marketing line by the powers that be is "come see one of the great white civilization". The draw will be far less if it was "come see a great black civilization". Despite what we in the Diaspora think about black economic power - we don't travel.. . .as much as the leucoderms . . .for whatever reasons.''

And I don't think this explanation can be discounted with a wave of the hand as Djehuti is saying in the response to it below.

''For someone to lose interest in ancient Egypt because the Egyptians were black is not only, of course racist, but plain stupid.''

Well, that is one of the things xyyman was getting at, i.e., racism.

More from Djehute:
''Your very presumed mentality of "why see blacks abroad, when I've seen them back home" is downright idiotic, to say the least.''

Then he cleans it up with this:

''Not that there aren't any individuals who feel that way.''

...which is what was intended initially.

xyyman said:
''Why do you think Rome, Spain, France and Greece are the highest tourist destinations in the world. It is about Leucoderms visiting the land of THEIR great cvivlizations. To some egypt is just one of theirs.''

...then Djehuti:

''In fact, I think most people like me would even be more interested in those cultures if the people who created them were people of color, especially blacks.''

...not if you're set in the belief that Ancient Egypt wasn't black. That said, I do agree with you somewhat in your above comment simply because to some ''white'' people, educated or not, the idea behind Egypt will be, ''Really! Darkskinned black people did all that!'' as a kind of condescending remark.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
From what I gathered E3a is a predecessor to E3b.
Not quite. They are brothers, not father and sun.

E has 3 sons

E1 E2 and E3 all of which are found essentially only in Africa.

E3 underived exists only in Ethiopia and Senegal.

E3 has West African son E3a and East African son E3b.

Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post 
E3b is in West Africa as it is in East Africa, and the same applies to E3a. These two lineages are essentially Pan-African in their distribution.

Relevant Egyptsearch reading:

Proposing the region of split b/n PN2 derived lineages

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone
Member # 14116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, a interesting thread.

I wound like to know if anyone has some information to what degree or even at all haplogroup J effected the Neolithic populations of Egypt?
I am asking this because Ethiopians show high frequencies of haplogroup J and according to this paper it entered Ethiopia with the Neolithic Revolution.
So I was wondering if haplogroup J had also entered Egypt in the same time period or was it bypassed? In addition todays Egyptians show high frequencies of haplogroup J, is this a product of recent Arab admixture or an ancient one?

Haplogroup J1 appears at high frequencies among populations of the Middle East, North Africa, and Ethiopia (Thomas et al. 1999). J1 was spread by two temporally distinct migratory episodes, the most recent one probably associated with the diffusion of Muslims from Arabia since the 6th century CE.[1]

Haplogroup J1 is most frequent in Arabs of the southern Levant, i.e. Palestinian Arabs (38.4%) (Semino et al.) and Arab Bedouins (62% and 82% in Negev desert Bedouins). It is also very common among other Arabic-speaking populations, such as those of Algeria (35%), Syria (30%), Iraq (33%), the Sinai Peninsula, and the Arabian Peninsula. The frequency of Haplogroup J1 collapses suddenly at the borders of Arabic countries with mainly non-Arabic countries, such as Turkey and Iran, yet it is found at low frequency among the populations of those countries, as well as in Cyprus and Sicily. It entered Ethiopia in the Neolithic with the Neolithic Revolution and spread of agriculture, where it is found mainly among Semitic speakers (e.g. Amhara 33.3%, but Oromo 3.8%).It spread later to North Africa in historic times (as identified by the motif YCAIIa22-YCAIIb22; Algerians 35.0%, Tunisians 30.1%), where it became something like a marker of the Arab expansion in the early medieval period (Semino et al. 2004). Researchers believe that marker DYS388=17 (Y DNA tests for STR - Short Tandem Repeater) is linked with the later expansion of Arabian tribes in the southern Levant and northern Africa (Di Giacomo et al. 2004). Haplogroup J1 is found almost exclusively among modern populations of Southwest Asia, North Africa, and East Africa, essentially delineating the region popularly known as the Middle East and associated with speakers of Semitic languages. The distribution of J1 outside of the Middle East may be associated with Arabs and Phoenicians who traded and conquered in Sicily, southern Italy, Spain, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Pakistan, or with Jews, who have historical origins in the Middle East and speak (or historically spoke) a Semitic language, though typically Haplogroup J2 is more than twice as common among Jews. In Jewish populations overall, J1 constitutes 19.0% of the Ashkenazim results and 11.9% of the Sephardic results (Semino et al. 2004)(Behar et al. 2004). Haplogroup J1 with marker DYS388=13 is a distinctive type found in eastern Anatolia (Cinnioglu et al. 2004).
s
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v74n5/40867/40867.web.pdf

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

^That particular study has been touched on many times both here and Egyptsearch spin-off Nile Valley boards.

Relevant Egyptsearch reading in:

E3b Origins

Sure some J lineages likely have found their way into the Nile Valley during the Neolithic, but much of the J lineages in North Africa appear to be those of historic extractions. Yes, the distribution pattern of the said haplotype (bearing the single-banded YCAIIa22-YCAIIb22 motif), with its much less presence in the African Horn, suggests that haplotypes in the African Horn devoid of this single-banded motif, are of prehistoric extraction. The single-banded motif chromosomes appear to be of relatively more recent extraction than the examples in the African Horn [devoid of the said single-banded motif). Bear in mind that, whatever may be said of the backdrop of the introductions of J haplotypes in either North Africa or the African Horn, i.e. the Neolithic Revolution, it is clear that these regions had their own Neolithic processes independent of that of the Levant; so to that extent, it doesn't seem to have affected much.

Related topics discussed in the following:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004454;p=2

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005214;p=1#000000

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I didn't bother to respond . . .he was essentially saying the same thing. Didn't want to be caught up in meaningless diatribe.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Grumman f6f:
xyyman said:
''Leucoderms are not going to pay dollars to see a pigmented King Tut. Or travel to egypt to see "more" black people when they can see that at home. And I am talking about the man on the street(Leucoderms). They may be innocent in the scheme of things. The marketing line by the powers that be is "come see one of the great white civilization". The draw will be far less if it was "come see a great black civilization". Despite what we in the Diaspora think about black economic power - we don't travel.. . .as much as the leucoderms . . .for whatever reasons.''

And I don't think this explanation can be discounted with a wave of the hand as Djehuti is saying in the response to it below.

''For someone to lose interest in ancient Egypt because the Egyptians were black is not only, of course racist, but plain stupid.''

Well, that is one of the things xyyman was getting at, i.e., racism.

More from Djehute:
''Your very presumed mentality of "why see blacks abroad, when I've seen them back home" is downright idiotic, to say the least.''

Then he cleans it up with this:

''Not that there aren't any individuals who feel that way.''

...which is what was intended initially.

xyyman said:
''Why do you think Rome, Spain, France and Greece are the highest tourist destinations in the world. It is about Leucoderms visiting the land of THEIR great cvivlizations. To some egypt is just one of theirs.''

...then Djehuti:

''In fact, I think most people like me would even be more interested in those cultures if the people who created them were people of color, especially blacks.''

...not if you're set in the belief that Ancient Egypt wasn't black. That said, I do agree with you somewhat in your above comment simply because to some ''white'' people, educated or not, the idea behind Egypt will be, ''Really! Darkskinned black people did all that!'' as a kind of condescending remark.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Thanks - Rasol and MS. I got some reading to do.

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
quote:
From what I gathered E3a is a predecessor to E3b.
Not quite. They are brothers, not father and sun.

E has 3 sons

E1 E2 and E3 all of which are found essentially only in Africa.

E3 underived exists only in Ethiopia and Senegal.

E3 has West African son E3a and East African son E3b.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti
The 'Middle Eastern' countries, including Israel, are viewed as safer than Africa but not that safe. Although many Westerners visit the region each year mainly for religious experiences i.e. 'The Holy Land'. Egypt is included in the geopoliticial-religious vacation hot spot.

If anything, I thought SW Asia was considered LESS safe for Westerners than Africa. Africa has its wars, but they are mostly between Africans. On the other hand, the stereotype of SW Asians is that they are out to get Westerners in particular. It's only South Africa and some neighboring countries with high crime rates that pose a serious threat to Western tourists---and I wasn't scared of any criminals when I went there (though when we went on safari at Shamwari, I was afraid that this bull elephant we saw would attack our jeep).

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7079 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an example of the extreme nonsense perpetuated about ancient Egypt in so-called "scientific" literature:

quote:

How Africa Became Black
Africa's racial history was not necessarily its racial destiny. To unravel the story of Africa's past, you must not only look at its faces but listen to its languages and harvest its crops.
by Jared Diamond
Despite all I'd read about Africa, my first impressions upon being there were overwhelming. As I walked the streets of Windhoek, the capital of newly independent Namibia, I saw black Herero people and black Ovambo; I saw Nama, a group quite unlike the blacks in appearance; I saw whites, descendants of recent European immigrants; and outside Windhoek I saw the last of the formerly widespread Kalahari Bushmen struggling for survival. These people were no longer pictures in a textbook; they were living humans, right in front of me. But what most surprised me was a street sign on one of downtown Windhoek's main roads. It read GOERING STREET.

Surely, I thought, no country could be so dominated by unrepentant Nazis that it would name a street after Hermann Goering, the notorious head of the Luftwaffe. As it turned out, the street actually commemorates Hermann's father, Heinrich, founding Reichskommissar of the German colony of South-West Africa, which would later be renamed Namibia. But Heinrich is no less a problematic figure than his son: his legacy includes one of the most vicious attacks ever carried out by European colonists on Africans, Germany's 1904 War of Extermination against the Herero. Today, while events in neighboring South Africa command the world's attention, Namibia, too, struggles to deal with its colonial history and establish a multiracial society. Namibia illustrated for me how inseparable Africa's past is from its present.

Most Americans think of native Africans as black and of white Africans as recent intruders; and when they think of Africa's racial history they think of European colonialism and slave trading. But very different types of peoples occupied much of Africa until as recently as a few thousand years ago. Even before the arrival of white colonialists, the continent harbored five of what many consider to be the world's six major divisions of humanity, the so-called human races, three of which are native to Africa. To this day nearly 30 percent of the world's languages are spoken only in Africa. No other continent even approaches this human diversity, and no other continent can rival Africa in the complexity of its human past.

The diversity of Africa's peoples results from its diverse geography and long prehistory. Africa is the only continent to extend from the northern to the southern temperate zone; it encompasses some of the world's driest deserts, largest tropical rain forests, and highest equatorial mountains. Humans have lived in Africa far longer than anywhere else: our remote ancestors originated there some 7 million years ago. With so much time, Africa's peoples have woven a complex, fascinating story of human interaction, a story that includes two of the most dramatic population movements of the past 5,000 years: the Bantu expansion and the Indonesian colonization of Madagascar. All those interactions are now tangled up in politics because the details of who arrived where before whom are shaping Africa today.

How did the five divisions of humanity in Africa get to be where they are today? Why did blacks come to be so widespread, instead of one or more of the four other groups whose existence Americans tend to forget? How can we ever hope to wrest the answers to these questions from Africa's past without written evidence of the sort that taught us about the spread of the Roman Empire?

African prehistory is a detective story on a grand scale, still only partly solved. Clues can be derived from the present: from the peoples living today in Africa, the languages they speak, and their plant crops and domestic animals. Clues can also be dug up from the past, from the bones and artifacts of long-dead peoples. By examining these clues one at a time and then combining all of them, we can begin to reconstruct who moved where at what time in Africa, and what let them move--with enormous consequences for the modern continent.

As I mentioned, the africa encountered by the first European explorers in the fifteenth century was already home to five human races: blacks, whites, Pygmies, Khoisan, and Asians. The only race not found in Africa is the aboriginal Australians and their relatives.

Now, I know that classifying people into arbitrary races is stereotyping. Each of these groups is actually very diverse, and lumping people as different as the Zulu, Masai, and Ibo under the single heading "blacks" ignores the differences between them. So does lumping Africa's Egyptians and Berbers with each other and with Europe's Swedes under the single heading "whites." The divisions between blacks, whites, and the other major groups are arbitrary anyway because each group shades into the others. All the human groups on Earth have mated with humans of every other group they've encountered. Nevertheless, recognizing these major groups and calling them by these inexact names is a shorthand that makes it easier to understand history. By analogy, it's also useful to divide classical music into periods like "baroque," "classical," and "romantic," even though each period is diverse and shades into other periods.

By the time European colonialists arrived, most of Africa's major population movements had already taken place (see map on next page). Blacks occupied the largest area, from the southern Sahara to most of sub-Saharan Africa. The ancestors of most African Americans came from Africa's western coastal zone, but similar peoples occupied East Africa as well, north to the Sudan and south to the southeast coast of South Africa. They were mostly farmers or herders, as were the native African whites, who occupied Africa's northern coastal zone and the northern Sahara. (Few of those northern Africans--the Egyptians, Libyans, and Moroccans, for instance-- would be confused with a blond, blue-eyed Swede, but they're often considered white because they have lighter skin and straighter hair than the peoples to the south.)

At the same time, the Pygmies were already living in groups widely scattered through the central African rain forest. Although they were traditionally hunter-gatherers, they also traded with or worked for neighboring black farmers. Like their neighbors, the Pygmies are dark- skinned and have tightly curled hair, but that hair is more thickly distributed over their body and face. They also are much smaller in size and have more prominent foreheads, eyes, and teeth.

The Khoisan (pronounced COY-san) are perhaps the group least familiar to Americans today. In the 1400s they were actually two groups, found over much of southern Africa: large-statured Khoi herders, pejoratively known as Hottentots, and smaller San hunter-gatherers, pejoratively called Bushmen. Most of the Khoi populations no longer exist; European colonists shot, displaced, or infected many of them, and the survivors interbred with Europeans. Though the San hunter-gatherers were similarly shot, displaced, and infected, a dwindling number managed to preserve their distinctness in Namibian desert areas unsuitable for agriculture. (They're the people depicted some years ago in the widely seen film The Gods Must Be Crazy.) The Khoisan today look quite unlike African blacks: they have light brown skin sometimes described as yellow, and their hair is even more tightly coiled.

Of these population distributions, that of North Africa's whites is the least surprising because physically similar peoples live in adjacent areas of the Middle East and Europe. Throughout recorded history people have been moving back and forth between Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa. But the puzzling placements of blacks, Pygmies, and Khoisan hint at past population upheavals. Today there are just 200,000 Pygmies scattered amid 120 million blacks. This fragmentation suggests that Pygmy hunters lived throughout the equatorial forests until they were displaced and isolated into small groups by the arrival of black farmers. Similarly, the Khoisan area of southern Africa is surprisingly small for a people so distinct in anatomy and language. Could the Khoisan as well have been originally more widespread until their more northerly populations were somehow eliminated?

Perhaps the greatest puzzle, however, involves the island of Madagascar, which lies just 250 miles off the coast of southeastern Africa, much closer to Africa than to any other continent. It's in Madagascar that the fifth African race is found. Madagascar's people prove to be a mixture of two elements: African blacks and--surprisingly, given the separation seemingly dictated by the whole expanse of the Indian Ocean--Southeast Asians, specifically Indonesians. As it happens, the language of the Malagasy people is very close to the Ma'anyan language spoken on the Indonesian island of Borneo, over 4,000 miles away. No one even remotely resembling the Borneans lives within thousands of miles of Madagascar.

These Indonesians, their language, and their modified culture were already established on Madagascar by the time it was first visited by Europeans in 1500. To me this is the single most astonishing fact of human geography in the whole world. It's as if Columbus, on reaching Cuba, had found it occupied by blue-eyed, towheaded Scandinavians speaking a language close to Swedish, even though the nearby North American continent was inhabited by Indians speaking Indian languages. How on earth could prehistoric people of Borneo, presumably voyaging in boats without maps or compasses, have ended up in Madagascar?

The case of Madagascar shows how peoples' languages, as well as their physical appearance, can yield important clues to their origins. Similarly, there's much to be learned from African languages that can't be gleaned from African faces. In 1963 the mind-boggling complexities of Africa's 1,500 languages were simplified by the great linguist Joseph Greenberg of Stanford. Greenberg recognized that all those languages can be divided into just four broad families. And, because languages of a given language family tend to be spoken by distinct peoples, in Africa there are some rough correspondences between the language families and the anatomically defined human groups (see map at right). For instance, Nilo- Saharan and Niger-Congo speakers are black, and Khoisan speakers are Khoisan. Afro-Asiatic languages, however, are spoken by a wide variety of both whites and blacks. The language of Madagascar belongs to yet another, non-African category, the Austronesian language family.

What about the Pygmies? They're the only one of Africa's five races that lacks a distinct language: each band of Pygmies speaks the language of its neighboring black farmers. If you compare a given language as spoken by Pygmies with the same language as spoken by blacks, however, the Pygmy version contains unique words and, sometimes, distinctive sounds. That makes sense, of course: originally the Pygmies, living in a place as distinctive as the equatorial African rain forest, must have been sufficiently isolated to develop their own language family. Today, however, those languages' disappearance and the Pygmies' highly fragmented distribution both suggest that the Pygmy homeland was engulfed by invading black farmers. The remaining small bands of Pygmies adopted the invaders' languages, with only traces of their original languages surviving in a few words and sounds.

The distribution of Khoisan languages testifies to an even more dramatic engulfing. Those languages are famously unique--they're the ones that use clicks as consonants. All the existing Khoisan languages are confined to southern Africa, with two exceptions: the click-laden Hadza and Sandawe languages spoken in Tanzania, some 1,500 miles from their nearest linguistic kin.

In addition, clicks have made it into a few of the Niger-Congo languages of southern Africa, such as Zulu and Xhosa (which is the language of Nelson Mandela). Clicks or Khoisan words also appear in two Afro-Asiatic languages spoken by blacks in Kenya, stranded even farther from the Khoisan peoples of today than are the Hadza and Sandawe speakers of Tanzania. All this suggests that Khoisan languages and peoples formerly extended far north into Africa until the Khoisan, like the Pygmies, were engulfed by the blacks, leaving behind only a linguistic legacy to testify to their former presence.

Perhaps the most important discovery from linguistic sleuthing, however, involves the Niger-Congo language family, which today is spread all over West Africa and most of subequatorial Africa. Its current enormous range seems to give no clue as to precisely where the family originated. However, Greenberg has pointed out that the Bantu languages of subequatorial Africa, once thought to be their own language family, are actually a subfamily of the Niger-Congo language family. (Technically they're a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-subfamily.) These Bantu languages today account for nearly half of the 1,032 Niger-Congo languages, and Bantu speakers account for more than half (nearly 200 million) of the Niger-Congo speakers. Yet all 494 Bantu languages are so similar to one another that they've been facetiously described as 494 dialects of a single language.

There are some 170 other such Niger-Congo subfamilies, most of which are crammed into West Africa, a small fraction of the entire Niger- Congo range. Even the most distinctive Bantu languages, as well as the Niger-Congo languages most closely related to Bantu, are concentrated there, in a tiny area of Cameroon and adjacent east and central Nigeria.

From Greenberg's evidence it seems obvious that the Niger-Congo language family arose in West Africa, while the Bantu subfamily arose at the east end of that range, in Cameroon and Nigeria, and then spread out over most of subequatorial Africa. That spread must have begun sufficiently long ago that the ancestral Bantu language had time to split into 494 daughter languages, but nevertheless recently enough that all those daughter languages are still very similar to one another. Since all Niger- Congo speakers--including the Bantu speakers--are black, it would be nearly impossible to infer who migrated in which direction just from the evidence of physical anthropology.

To make this type of linguistic reasoning clear, let me give you an example: the geographic origins of the English language. Today the largest number of people whose first language is English live in North America, with others scattered over the globe in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries. If we knew nothing else about language distribution and history, we might have guessed that the English language arose in North America and was carried overseas by colonists.

But we know better: we know that each of those countries has its own English dialect and that all those English dialects make up just one subgroup of the Germanic language family. The other subgroups--the various Scandinavian, German, and Dutch languages--are crammed into northwestern Europe. Frisian, the Germanic language most closely related to English, is stuck in a tiny coastal area of Holland and western Germany. Hence a linguist would immediately deduce--correctly--that the English language arose on the northwestern coast of Europe and spread around the world from there.

Essentially the same reasoning tells us that the nearly 200 million Bantu-speaking people now flung over much of the map of Africa arose in Cameroon and Nigeria. Thus linguistics tells us not only that the Pygmies and the Khoisan, who formerly ranged widely over the continent, were engulfed by blacks; it also tells us that the blacks who did the engulfing were Bantu speakers. But what it can't tell us is what allowed the Bantu speakers to displace the Pygmies and Khoisan.

To answer that question we need to look at a different type of surviving evidence, that of domesticated plants and animals. Why is this evidence so crucial? Because farming and herding yield far more calories per acre than does hunting wild animals or gathering wild plants. As a result, population densities of farmers and herders are typically at least ten times those of hunter-gatherers. That's not to say that farmers are happier, healthier, or in any way superior to hunter-gatherers. They are, however, more numerous. And that alone is enough to allow them to kill or displace the hunter-gatherers.

In addition, human diseases such as smallpox and measles developed from diseases plaguing domestic animals. The farmers eventually become resistant to those diseases, but hunter-gatherers don't have the opportunity. So when hunter-gatherers first come into contact with farmers, they tend to die in droves from the farmers' diseases (see "The Arrow of Disease," October 1992).

Finally, only in a farming society--with its stored food surpluses and concentrated villages--do people have the chance to specialize, to become full-time metalworkers, soldiers, kings, and bureaucrats. Hence the farmers, and not the hunter-gatherers, are the ones who develop swords and guns, standing armies, and political organization. Add that to their sheer numbers and their germs, and it's easy to see how the farmers in Africa were able to push the hunter-gatherers aside.

But where in Africa did domesticated plants and animals first appear? What peoples, by accident of their geographic location, inherited those plants and animals and thereby the means to engulf their geographically less-endowed neighbors?

When Europeans reached sub-Saharan Africa in the 1400s, Africans were growing five sets of crops (see map at right). The first set was grown only in North Africa, extending as far as the highlands of Ethiopia. North Africa's rain falls mostly in the winter months--the region enjoys a Mediterranean climate--so all its original crops are adapted to germinating and growing with winter rains. Archeological evidence tells us that such crops--wheat, barley, peas, beans, and grapes, to name a few--were first domesticated in the Middle East around 10,000 years ago. So it makes sense that they would have spread into climatically similar and adjacent areas of North Africa, laying the foundation for the rise of ancient Egyptian civilization. Indeed, these crops are familiar to us precisely because they also spread into climatically similar and adjacent areas of Europe--and from there to America and Australia--and became some of the staple crops of temperate-zone agriculture around the world.

There's little rain and little agriculture in the Sahara, but just south of the desert, in the Sahel zone, the rain returns. The Sahel rains, however, fall in the summer. So even if winter-rain-adapted Middle Eastern crops could somehow have crossed the Sahara, it would still have been hard to grow them in the summer-rain Sahel zone. Instead, here the Europeans found the second and third sets of African crops, both of which are adapted to summer rains and the area's less variable day length.

Set number two is made up of plants whose ancestors were widely distributed from west to east across the Sahel zone and were probably domesticated there as well. They include sorghum and pearl millet, which became the staple cereals of much of sub-Saharan Africa, as well as cotton, sesame, watermelon, and black-eyed peas. Sorghum proved so valuable that it is now grown in hot, dry areas on all the continents.

The wild ancestors of the third set of African crops are found only in Ethiopia and were probably domesticated there. Indeed, most of them are still grown only there: few Americans have ever tasted Ethiopia's finger millet beer, its oily noog, its narcotic chat, or its national bread, which is made from a tiny-seeded cereal called teff. But we all have the ancient Ethiopian farmers to thank for the domestication of a plant we know exceedingly well: the coffee plant, which remained confined to Ethiopia until it caught on in Arabia and then spread around the globe.

The fourth set of African crops was domesticated from wild ancestors in the wet climate of West Africa. Some of them, including African rice, have remained virtually confined there; others, such as African yams, eventually spread throughout much of sub-Saharan Africa; and two, the oil palm and the kola nut, spread to other continents. West Africans were chewing the caffeine-containing kola nut as a stimulant long before the Coca-Cola Company enticed Americans to drink its extracts.

The plants in the last batch of African crops are also adapted to wet climates. Bananas, Asian yams, and taro were widespread in sub-Saharan Africa when the Europeans arrived, and Asian rice was well established on the coast of East Africa. But these crops didn't come from Africa. They came from Southeast Asia, and their presence in Africa would be astonishing if the presence of Indonesians in Madagascar hadn't already alerted us to Africa's prehistoric Asian connection.

Let's consider the four indigenous groups of crops. All four-- from North Africa, the Sahel, Ethiopia, and West Africa--came from north of the equator. No wonder the Niger-Congo speakers, people who also came from north of the equator, were able to displace Africa's equatorial Pygmies and subequatorial Khoisan peoples. The Khoisan and the Pygmies weren't unsuited for the farming life; it was just that southern Africa's wild plants were unsuitable for domestication. Even the Bantu and the white farmers, heirs to thousands of years of farming experience, have rarely been able to develop southern Africa's native plants into food crops.

Because there are so few of them, summarizing Africa's domesticated animal species is much easier than summarizing its plants. The list doesn't include even one of the big wild mammals for which Africa is famous--its zebras and wildebeests, its rhinos and hippos, its giraffes and Cape buffalo. The wild ancestors of domestic cattle, pigs, dogs, and house cats were native to North Africa but also to western Asia, so we can't be sure where they were first domesticated. The rest of Africa's domestic mammals must have been domesticated somewhere else because their wild ancestors occur only in Eurasia. Africa's sheep and goats were domesticated in western Asia, its chickens in Southeast Asia, its horses in southern Russia, and its camels probably in Arabia. The one exception is the donkey, which is widely believed to have been domesticated in North Africa.

Many of Africa's food staples and domesticated animals thus had to travel a long way from their point of origin, both inside and outside Africa. Some people were just luckier than others, inheriting suites of domesticable wild plant and animal species. We have to suspect that some of the "lucky" Africans parlayed their advantage into an engulfing of their neighbors.

But all the evidence I've presented thus far--evidence from modern human and language distributions and from modern crops and domestic animals--is only an indirect means to reconstruct the past. To get direct evidence about who was living where when, and what they were eating or growing, we need to turn to archeology and the things it turns up: the bones of people and their domestic animals, the remains of the pottery and the stone and iron tools they made, and the remains of the buildings they constructed.

This evidence can help explain at least some of the mystery of Madagascar. Archeologists exploring the island report that Indonesians arrived before A.D. 800, possibly as early as 300, and in a full-fledged expedition: the earliest human settlements on Madagascar include the remains of iron tools, livestock, and crops. This was no small canoeload of fishermen blown off course.

Clues to how this expedition came about can be found in an ancient book of sailors' directions, the Periplus of the Erythrean Sea, which was written by an anonymous merchant living in Egypt around A.D. 100. The merchant describes an already thriving sea trade connecting India and Egypt with the coast of East Africa. When Islam began to spread after the beginning of the ninth century, Indian Ocean trade became well documented archeologically by copious quantities of Middle Eastern and occasionally even Chinese products such as pottery, glass, and porcelain found in East African coastal settlements. The traders waited for favorable winds to let them cross the Indian Ocean directly between East Africa and India.

But there was an equally vigorous sea trade from India eastward, to Indonesia. Perhaps the Indonesian colonists of Madagascar reached India by that route, then fell in with the westward trade route to East Africa, where they joined with Africans and discovered Madagascar. The union of Indonesians and East Africans appears to live on today in Madagascar's basically Indonesian language, which contains loan words from coastal Kenyan Bantu languages. But there's a problem: there are no corresponding Indonesian loan words in Kenyan languages. Indeed, there are few Indonesian traces in East Africa besides some musical instruments like the xylophone and the zither and the Indonesian crops discussed earlier. Is it possible that the Indonesians, instead of taking the easier route to Madagascar via India and East Africa, somehow--incredibly--sailed straight across the Indian Ocean, discovered Madagascar, and only later got plugged into East African trade routes? We still don't know the answer.

The same sorts of archeological evidence found in Madagascar can be found on the African continent itself. In some cases they can help prove hypotheses that the other evidence could never fully resolve. For instance, linguistic and population distribution evidence merely suggests that the Khoisan were once widespread in the drier parts of subequatorial Africa. But archeologists in Zambia, to the north of the modern Khoisan range, have in fact found skulls of people resembling the modern Khoisan, as well as stone tools resembling those the Khoisan peoples were making in southern Africa when the Europeans arrived.

There are, of course, cases in which archeology can't help. We assume from indirect evidence that Pygmies were once widespread in the wet rain forest of central Africa, but it's difficult for archeologists to test this assumption: although they've found artifacts to show that people were there, they have yet to discover ancient human skeletons.

Archeology also helps us determine the actual dates and places for the rise of farming and herding in Africa, which, as I've said, is the key to understanding how one group of people was able to conquer the whole continent. Any reader steeped in the history of Western civilization would be forgiven for assuming that African food production began in ancient Egypt's Nile Valley, land of pharaohs and pyramids. After all, by 3000 B.C., Egypt was undoubtedly the site of Africa's most complex society. Yet the earliest evidence for food production in Africa comes not from the Nile Valley but from, believe it or not, the Sahara.

Archeologists are able to say this because they have become expert at identifying and dating plants from remains as fragmentary as charred seeds recognizable only under a microscope. Although today much of the Sahara is so dry that it can't even support grass, archeologists have found evidence that between 9000 and 4000 B.C. the Sahara was more humid; there were numerous lakes, and the desert teemed with game. The Saharans tended cattle and made pottery, then began to keep sheep and goats; they may even have started to domesticate sorghum and millet. This Saharan pastoralism began well before food production got its start in Egypt, in 5200 B.C., when a full package of western Asian winter crops and livestock arrived. Farming then spread to West Africa and Ethiopia. By around 2500 B.C. cattle herders had already crossed the modern border of Ethiopia into northern Kenya.

Linguistics offers another way to date the arrival of crops: by comparing words for crops in related modern languages that diverged from each other at various times in the past. It thus becomes clear, for instance, that the people who were domesticating sorghum and millet in the Sahara thousands of years ago spoke languages ancestral to modern Nilo- Saharan languages. Similarly, the people who first domesticated the wet- country crops of West Africa spoke languages ancestral to the modern Niger- Congo languages. The people who spoke ancestral Afro-Asiatic languages were certainly involved in the introduction of Middle Eastern crops into North Africa and may have been responsible for the domestication of crops native to Ethiopia.

Analyzing the names of crops leaves us with evidence that there were at least three ancestral languages spoken in Africa thousands of years ago: ancestral Nilo-Saharan, Niger-Congo, and Afro-Asiatic. And other linguistic evidence points to an ancestral Khoisan language (that evidence, however, doesn't come from crop names, since the ancestral Khoisan people didn't domesticate any crops). Surely, since Africa harbors 1,500 languages today, it was big enough to harbor more than four ancestral languages in the past. But all those other languages must have disappeared, either because the peoples speaking them lost their original languages, as the Pygmies did, or because the peoples themselves disappeared.

From: http://discovermagazine.com/1994/feb/howafricabecameb331
Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug M, since the article was written in 1994, according to the posted link, and it is nonsense according to you, it seems to me you would have highlighted the nonsense so people like me can see this it. Admittedly I don't know the points of contention since I've only been here a very short while but I'm still reading in some areas on this site trying to get up to speed.

That said, I've seen some very knowledgeable people on this site, in the past two days mind you, disagreeing on a couple of important points on what letter/number designation goes where in terms of geography. (Actually there was no disagreement, just silence after counter information was presented.) Which one of the two is right? I sure don't have a clue. It sure does give me pause before I lend myself to information that may be ''wrong.''

Getting back to the Discover article by Diamond, presumably most readers on this website will already have spotted the nonsense, especially since this nonsense was written 13 years ago. If this be the case why is it being offered in 2007? Wouldn't it be fair to research the author's ''recent'' understanding, if any, to get a more thorough feel of his position today. People can and do change when new information is presented; not that he has, or Discover for that matter.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Nord
A banned big lipped primate
Member # 14093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Nord         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.geocities.com/enbp/genetics.html

They call the population leucoderm. They say that the Ancient Egyptians are essentially the same but not exactly. This means that the evidence they found does correlate with modern day people living in Egypt but that does not mean that they belonged to E3b. There were other haplotypes in Ancient Egypt. They are all Caucasian R1b1, J1 and K2. The last two are associated with Arabs but have been in Ancient remains. The first is western European and has been found in Ancient remains. All three have also been found in the modern populations and all three originated outside of the African continent.

Even though some haplogroups are associated with Arabs and Europeans they were found in the ancient populations. This means that long ago Caucasian people migrated into the Nile Valley and started the civilization that we know as Ancient Egypt. They are not from Greek or Arab invasions. In fact if we remember the DNA testing of the one mummy child in the United States. There was a big story about how it had European DNA. Well it must have been Greek or Roman. In fact it may have H mtDNA or another typically European mtDNA but most of the Ancient Egyptians did. In fact most modern day Egyptians have Caucasian mtDNA. Although M (Asian) and L (Negroid) haplogroups make up a sizable portion compared to other countries the haplogroups of H an U still make up the majority. Yet H and U's ancestors have been in Egypt for well over six thousand years. They built the pyramids after all. So to find this mtDNA in a mummy does not make him a European. That is the Egyptian Antiquities department and Zahi Hawass wants to do the mtDNA testing and explain it. Becuase when other people not familiar with Ancient Egypt get a hold of the mtDNA results we see things like.....

Ramses the Great was a white man......

Ancient Egyptian mummy has European DNA.....

While both things are true the fact is that we do not know the Ancient culture as well. After all we were expecting something to say they were Egyptians. For some idiot afrocentrists they were expecting black DNA. We are so inundated with this information that they were black or their own race we will keep seeing things like this. People will keep mistaking them for white and European people because that is essentially what they are but that is not want we want to believe becuase we have been taught that they were different or some people want to believe that they were black to prove something.

This emotion and political correctness is one of the reasons why more information is not forth coming. Until then we will get it in bits and pieces and be very confused as to why the evidence keeps suggesting they were white people.

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post 
Long life to great white people of Egypt!!!!!
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yes.
White people
* without white skin
* without Indo-Aryan, Basque, or Uralic language
* without proportionally significant European NRY & mtDNA chromosomes
The world itself is full of similar such white people.
Yes.
The whole world is white people.
Madison Grant was wrong.
The Great Race has not passed on!

quote:

The Mediterranean subspecies, formerly called the Iberian, is a relatively
small, light boned, long skulled race, of brunet color becoming even swarthy
in certain portions of its range. Throughout Neolithic times and possibly still
earlier, it seems to have occupied, just as it does to-day, all the shores of
the Mediterranean, including the coast of Africa from Morocco on the west
to Egypt on the east.

Africa north of the Sahara, from a zoological point of view, is now, and
has been since early Tertiary times, a part of Europe. This is true ...

This is the race that gave the world the great civilizations of Egypt, of Crete,
of Phoenicia including Carthage, of Etruria and of Mycensean Greece. It gave
us, when mixed and invigorated with Nordic elements, the most splendid of
all civilizations, that of ancient Hellas, and the most enduring of political
organizations, the Roman State.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Yes.
White people
* without white skin
Yes.
Madison Grant was wrong.
The Great White Race lives on!

Indeed, to say that there are lots of serious flaws in 'attention-seeking' white nord's postings, would be an understatement, but just to name but a few:

The need to define "Caucasian" people, which he hasn't, hence convincing himself that he is making sense.

Keeping in mind that no evidence of mass exodus in the Nile Valley in the lead up to Dynastic Egypt, when did these "caucasians" supposedly arrive in the Nile Valley, and indicated by what?

Bulk of Egyptians are of the PN2 derived lineages, particularly E3b, including Northern Egypt, despite this area being most exposed to extra-African influx than further up the nile.

This is followed by J lineages, but as noted above, the prevalent derivatives of this lineage in North Africa, appear to be those of historic extraction, as opposed to those indicating pre-historic introduction [see Semino et al.]. R1b which is the prevalent R lineage in western Europe, has a low frequency even in northern Egypt. In fact, Hg R in general, appears to have a low frequency:

-

-

What happened to R*-M173 lineages in these "caucasians" in Europe and much of the regions inhabited by these "caucasians"?

What to make of "white people" with tropical body plans, and with *grading* cranio-metric tendicies that show "intermediacy between Europeans, west Africans and Khoisans" in the North Egypt, and stronger 'African interior' affinities as one approachs South Egypt?

What happened to "caucasian" specimens in Paleolithic Nile Valley remains, whereas Paleolithic a.m.h specimens that could fit the "forest Negro" stereotypes in many respects, have been recovered?

What happened to "Caucasian" languages in the ancient Egypt, where Afrasan-affiliated language is the documented language?

What detailed accounts of significant typical "caucasian" cultural traits can white Nord lay out for us, that inclines Dynastic Egypt culture towards "caucasian" culture, as opposed to having stronger affinities with "Saharo-tropical" African cultural complexes?

Why did these "caucasians" not start "civilizations" in northern Eurasia before and as they were starting one in the Nile Valley, and why were they late to produce centralized a polity(s) spanning a wide geographical region, in the so-called "caucasian" societies outside of Africa?

At the start of Dynastic Egypt, we've learned that some remains of the royalty tested positive for HbS. Is this a trend in "caucasian" populations? To this day, the "Benin Haplotype" is found in Egypt and neighbouring regions. If so, then why isn't it prevalent in northern Eurasian "caucasians" in general, save for areas nearest to Africa?

Just a few questions that white Nord can perhaps entertain us with answers, in the meantime.

KemsonReloaded
Member # 14127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KemsonReloaded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing...

People like Hawass should be place in a room with real intellectual people and learn him a lesson or two.

Posts: 213 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettadon_eq_8
Member # 14106

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettadon_eq_8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KemsonReloaded:
Amazine...

People like Hawass should be place in a room with real intellectual people and learn him a lesson or two.

agree with that mate. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
What happened to R*-M173 lineages in these "caucasians" in Europe and much of the regions inhabited by these "caucasians"?

^ Caucasians are properly a European ethno linguistic group referencing natives of Caucasia, including Georgians, Chechens etc..

These people have nothing to with African or even Mesopotamian civilisation, and had no 'civilisation' [as defined in western parlance] of their own, during the greater part of the history of Nile Valley Civilisation, wherein 'caucasians' were simple hunter gatherer, and belatedly sendentary folk.

The notion of Caucasian as a 'race', was invented by Johanne Blumanbach in the late 1700s.

Prior to this - there is in all of human discourse no mention or concept of caucasian race in any context, anywhere in the world, including in Europe.

The basis of Blumanbach's contrived caucasian race was that Noah's Ark settled in the Caucasus mountain region where - supposedly all men, as descdendants of Noah - then descended.

This is of course religous methology warped into ethnocentric fever-dream, and is completely descredited as science, since we know now that all human beings originate in Africa, and *not* caucasia, and that moreover all humans were originally melanoderm [Black] not leucoderm.

Leucoderms are now known to be the result of recent genetic mutations on the skin color receptors of Northern Eurasians which took place during the ICE ages. Leucoderm is not a native condition to Africa.

Therefore leucoderms, like caucasians, have nothing to do with Nile Valley civilisations founded by the native, Black, African, populations of the region:

-

bettadon_eq_8
Member # 14106

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettadon_eq_8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
couldn't saidd it better me self.

--------------------
Dead men make no moves. -some artist

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumman f6f:

Doug M, since the article was written in 1994, according to the posted link, and it is nonsense according to you, it seems to me you would have highlighted the nonsense so people like me can see this it. Admittedly I don't know the points of contention since I've only been here a very short while but I'm still reading in some areas on this site trying to get up to speed.

That said, I've seen some very knowledgeable people on this site, in the past two days mind you, disagreeing on a couple of important points on what letter/number designation goes where in terms of geography. (Actually there was no disagreement, just silence after counter information was presented.) Which one of the two is right? I sure don't have a clue. It sure does give me pause before I lend myself to information that may be ''wrong.''

Getting back to the Discover article by Diamond, presumably most readers on this website will already have spotted the nonsense, especially since this nonsense was written 13 years ago. If this be the case why is it being offered in 2007? Wouldn't it be fair to research the author's ''recent'' understanding, if any, to get a more thorough feel of his position today. People can and do change when new information is presented; not that he has, or Discover for that matter.

The article is nonsense because of the very premise it makes:

"..As I mentioned, the Africa encountered by the first European explorers in the fifteenth century was already home to five human races: blacks, whites, Pygmies, Khoisan, and Asians. The only race not found in Africa is the aboriginal Australians and their relatives..."

First of all, the author espouses the notion of 'human races' when science has refuted such a notion-- that humans can be divided into "races". Anthropology and especially genetics has totally debunked such a thing.

Second, notice the type of so-called races that the author classifies. He distinguishes a 'black' race seperately from Pygmies and Khoisan. Now, do you mean to tell me that Pygmies are not black?!! [Eek!]

Pygmy family
 -

And what about Khoisan? No doubt the author does not consider them 'black' due to their relatively light complexion. Yet I find it ironic that in the West, African Americans and other blacks with light complexions including those with white ancestry like Halle Berry and Barrack Obama, are still considered 'black' yet the Khoisan who are pure Africans with pristine African lineages are not?!

Khoisan
 -

Both the Pygmies of central Africa and the Khoisan of southern Africa are populatons indigenous to Africa, and not only do they both possess lineages indigenous to the continent but share many of these lineages with the other black populations or as the author ridiculously considers his "black race".

As for the other two so-called 'races' of Africa the author mentions, the whites he speaks of are no doubt the North African coastal Berbers like the Kabyle and Riff. Genetics shows that the reason why they are white is because they have ancestry from Europeans who are just across the Mediterranean. However genetics also shows that their European lineages are maternal, while their paternal lineages are African meaning that they inherited them from the indigenous black populations of North Africa! As for the Asians, of course he speaks of the Malagasy people of Madagascar whose Asian ancestors sailed from Indonesia to settle Madagascar. However, if you've seen the Malagasy people, you would know what genetics has later confirmed -- that they also have African/black ancestry.

Malagasy
 -

So all in all the author's claims are a lie-- that indigenous (black) Africans not only predominate the African continent today, but have always been predominant. The author obviously shares the same sentiment as the early white European colonizers of Africa, who tried hard yet in vain to deny the black natives as being the predominant and indigenous peoples of the continent.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Yes.
White people
* without white skin
Yes.
Madison Grant was wrong.
The Great Race has not passed on!

LMAO [Big Grin]

To 'White Nord', I just have to ask what exactly do you have to offer in terms of your support to your claims since everything you put forth has been refuted so far.

I mean, where exactly is your evidence of white ancient Egyptians?

Who in ancient Egyptian royalty, for example was white?

Was it Tiye with blonde hair and blue eyes?..

-

Or Tut?..

-

or Thutmose?

-

Who?

Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Djehuti wrote:
''The article is nonsense because of the very premise it makes:''

"..As I mentioned, the Africa encountered by the first European explorers in the fifteenth century was already home to five human races: blacks, whites, Pygmies, Khoisan, and Asians. The only race not found in Africa is the aboriginal Australians and their relatives..."

Actually I shook my head when I saw this one the first time around.

My thought was why was it being posted when everyone here would know it to be seriously flawed and outdated anyway.

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com