EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » "Darwinists don't accept direction in evolution." -- Swenet (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: "Darwinists don't accept direction in evolution." -- Swenet
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
show us any quote where Newton says everything comes from chemicals, I'll wait
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, notice how dense lioness is. Some sort of deep-seated reading comprehension problem that needs medical attention. I never said Newton subscribed to a chemical origin of life. I've not even mentioned Newton's name outside of the worldview that happens to bear Newton's name. Is lioness crazy and seeing things? I've already explained I'm not talking about Newton over several thread pages.

Notice how lioness failed to answer my last question. Refusing to back up her claims but insisting others do it every chance she gets. A flagrant double standard that shows she has no regard for contributing to a productive forum. Lioness has a long track record of thinking she is above backing up her own claims. She also thinks white people are above academic criticism. Just ask her to acknowledge something critical about Darwin, Irish or Lazaridis.

You on ignore now, troll.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminder
the topic that Swenet is trying to deal with is
abiogenesis and it is abiogenesis which he strongly rejects:

quote:

ABIOGENESIS

Abiogenesis, the natural process by which life arises from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds. The transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event, but a gradual process of increasing complexity and without external direction, that involved molecular self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis and cell membranes.

Let's stop talking about Newton and get back to Darwin

Darwin didn't really discuss the origin of life that much but here we see a view that is now called abiogenesis and it is stretching widely to call it Newtonian. Darwin discussed the suggestion that the original spark of life may have begun in a
"warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, &c., present, that a proteine compound was chemically formed ready to undergo still more complex changes."

quote:

Things to remember about evolution
Massey University written by Professor Andy Lock.

1) Evolution is not progressive - Evolution is not designed to produce the best quality products, it only seeks to design adaptations 'that will do the job' most efficiently and economically. Therefore, evolution used the 'mammal template' throughout the development of all mammal species - eg. pentadactyl limbs, mammary glands, spinal curvature, pelvis structure - and made the necessary modifications to suit the niche that species lived in.

2)Evolution is not an argument for the status quo - Evolution does not dictate why things are the way they are. It must be remembered that some of an animals features may be trade-offs or by-products of the evolution of an unrelated adaptation.

3) Evolution provides constraints - What has gone before sets physical limits on what we can do now. This is seen in the fact that we learn some things much more readily than others. In this sense evolution has also constrained what things we are able to perceive and attend to.

4)Evolution provides complexity from simplicity - Species that depend on each other for food (predator - prey relationships) often enter into 'arms races', as they try to outdo each other.

These are the main things that Swenet believes:

a) Abiogenesis is a false idea. Life cannot arise from non-living matter

b) More complex species cannot arise from simpler species by a natural selection process.
A natural selection process as Darwin described, random mutations undergoing trial and error is not reality.
More complex species arise by the direction of a conscious intelligence

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
Doug, for present purposes it's irrelevant and off topic what Newton's religious views were. Repeating it 10 more times isn't going to affect the bottom line that I'm concerned with the fact that the worldview in question is dead. I'm not concerned with the name of that worldview.

Give it up. You know you're just trolling at this point. I could pick all sorts of beefs with words in your posts. I could say 'Egypt' is a Europeanized word and derail all your arguments, simply because you happen to use the word Egypt for convenience's sake.

Doug doesn't refer to Nile Valley Africans as "Egyptians"
I challenge you to try to find a quote of hims saying that

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Again, notice how dense lioness is. Some sort of deep-seated reading comprehension problem that needs medical attention. I never said Newton subscribed to a chemical origin of life. I've not even mentioned Newton's name outside of the worldview that happens to bear Newton's name. Is lioness crazy and seeing things? I've already explained I'm not talking about Newton over several thread pages.

quote:

Let's face it, Doug. The notion that chemistry is enough to explain life originates with a dated view of nature i.e. the Newtonian view.

Newton himself didn't even have a Newtonian Worldview
according to Sw....

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
The issue is that by saying "Newtonian" you aren't really talking about Newton as in breaking science from religion. Newton was an ardent Christian and spiritual and did not himself see the world as separated in such a way. So the whole idea of "Newtonian" did not come from Newton, it came from others AFTER Newton and again is partly the result of RATIONALISTS integrating themselves into Newtons concepts and promoting it as "Newtonian".
Let's say Newton was as religious as the pope and that there was some kind of conspiracy to co-opt his name by 'rationalists'. How does Newton's name being co-opted by 'rationalists' affect the bottom line that the worldview I'm talking about is dead? It doesn't affect my argument at all. So guess what Doug, for present purposes it's irrelevant and off topic what Newton's religious views were. Repeating it 10 more times isn't going to affect the bottom line that I'm concerned with the fact that the worldview in question is dead. I'm not concerned with the name of that worldview.

Give it up. You know you're just trolling at this point. I could pick all sorts of beefs with words in your posts. I could say 'Egypt' is a Europeanized word and derail all your arguments, simply because you happen to use the word Egypt for convenience's sake. Only sad people resort to that type of manipulation. You and lioness are sad and manipulative people for trying to derail my argument based on nominal bs. It tells me that you both know you can't debate me and defend your own worldview, so you have to resort to picking beefs with widely used words. You think you sound smart but educated people see you're just trying obscure the bottom line with irrelevant non sense. Lol.

I've never seen someone try so hard to rationalize blatant trolling.

The problem is the "bottom line" worldview you keep calling out doesn't exist the way you claim it does. You keep pretending that "science" is stuck in these "camps" based on "Darwinian" models of "newtonian" physics and that is simply an exaggeration and oversimplification of what is going on.

The 18th and 19th century conception of Darwinism was more concerned about superiority as in "racial superiority" and "evolutionary superiority" as in within the human species or as another would call it "social darwinism".

quote:

Next came the Enlightenment in the eighteenth century and, for various reasons, science being prominent among them, people started to look for an alternative, more secular view of history. A candidate was soon on offer: the idea of progress. As opposed to the Christian notion of Providence — where our only hope for salvation was through God’s benevolent action in history — now with progress the hope was instilled that we through our own unaided effort can make things better, scientifically, medically, politically, culturally.

Almost immediately, people started to cash this out in the biological world. There had long been the idea of a chain of being, where all organisms can be put on a scale, a ladder or staircase if you like, from the most primitive grubs, up through the “lesser” animals, until we reach the summit, humankind. If you were so inclined, you could extend the ladder skywards to include angels and then God at the top. The chain of being was originally static, but soon it was made to move — a kind of escalator — and so the idea of evolution (it wasn’t called that until the mid-nineteenth century) was born. As we have progress in the social world, from the “savages” (as they were called) to Europeans — some debate about which Europeans, but the English knew the answer to that one, especially given that God is not just English-speaking but also an Anglican — so also we have progress in the organic world, as they used to say, from the “monad to the man.”

Fast forward to the middle of the nineteenth century when, in 1859, Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or, the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. It is generally agreed that Darwin did two things. First, he made common sense the idea of organic evolution, that all organisms including humans came into being by a slow, natural process of development, from much more primitive forms, which probably — Darwin implied this but was not explicit — emerged from non-living minerals. Second, he offered a mechanism for this change. More organisms are born than can survive and reproduce. There is a struggle for existence in which some win and some lose. Winning and losing is on average a function of the differences between organisms — some features help and some don’t — and so there is a natural equivalent to the breeder’s practice of selection, and this adds up to overall lasting change.

At what price was there progress up to humans? Darwin certainly believed in social progress, and it is pretty clear also that he believed in evolutionary progress. But he saw a problem with this idea, a problem that is still with us today. Natural selection doesn’t select for what’s best in any absolute sense, but just what’s best at surviving relative to the conditions that organisms find themselves in — whatever wins in the struggle for existence, wins. If there is lots of food, bigger animals win; if food is scarce, smaller ones win. Given that brains are high-maintenance features, there is absolutely no binding necessity that they evolve, even less that they get bigger and bigger through evolutionary history. At the same time, the raw building blocks of evolution — what we today call “mutations” — are random, not in the sense of being uncaused, but in the sense of not appearing to order. While you might need a new skin color for camouflage to survive, there is no guarantee that you will get it. So the problem is this: If natural selection doesn’t select what’s best in an absolute sense and mutations are never guaranteed, can there be any direction to evolution?

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/2017/01/26/does-evolution-have-direction/
Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a 2017 report significantly updating and substantiating ongoing talk that the universe is a holographic projection. May be interesting for those who have been following the development of this hypothesis over the years. (It was discussed once on ES).

-
quote:
Substantial evidence of holographic universe

A UK, Canadian and Italian study has provided what researchers believe is the first observational evidence that our universe could be a vast and complex hologram. Theoretical physicists and astrophysicists, investigating irregularities in the cosmic microwave background (the 'afterglow' of the Big Bang), have found there is substantial evidence supporting a holographic explanation of the universe -- in fact, as much as there is for the traditional explanation of these irregularities using the theory of cosmic inflation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/holographic_principle.htm

Notice how this talk of the universe being a hologram is just one step away from saying something with properties of a 'god' is needed in the laws of nature. Of course, they don't say it, but if you have holographic information describing the universe, a holographic 2D 'photo' encoding this information and a holographic projection, it's just one step away from saying you need an operator. But the funny thing is you have scientists working on this who think they're somehow not brushing against things described by religion when they work on this. "Oh no, the being supplying the holographic information and operating the projector doesn't have to be something like god. It could be an alien!".
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
The problem is the "bottom line" worldview you keep calling out doesn't exist the way you claim it does. You keep pretending that "science" is stuck in these "camps" based on "Darwinian" models of "newtonian" physics and that is simply an exaggeration and oversimplification of what is going on.

You are just making empty declarations and claims right now. If I'm exaggerating things, prove it. Nobody is going to take your word for it, just because you say it's so. I've already posted multiple quotes stating that Newtonian worldview is the default worldview of mainstream science. What have you posted to contradict this. outside of your own assertions?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

this is the bottom line that Swenet is describing in his own words:

quote:

Let's face it, Doug. The notion that chemistry is enough to explain life originates with a dated view of nature

He is right to say that Darwin implied this when he said the original spark of life may have begun in a

"warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, &c., present, that a proteine compound was chemically formed ready to undergo still more complex changes."

So whatever you want to call this, let's put aside the names Darwin or Newton or any names for a moment and talk about the idea that Swenet disagrees with. Swenet is describing a common idea held by many scientists have that consciousness is not present in the beginning.
A process starts with simple chemicals only after an explosion when they interact with no plan or direction and happen to result after a huge amount of time change into "evolve" into more and more complex forms and only then does life start and consciousness doesn't even appear until this later stage and it's not on some kind of higher plane "macro consciousness" it is only the type of consciousness that describes an animal (including human ) being alive and aware.

This is what we need to look at before getting bogged down in who is responsible for coming up with the idea and what is the history behind it.

But still there is a connection to Darwin who came up with a detailed explanation of how this could occur without a pre-ordained blueprint or guidance from an intelligent being at the start

and that is what Swenet is mad about. He feels people have been duped by this

So let us agree that what Swenet doesn't agree with is that brainless chemicals were sparked by a "big bang" explosion into a process resulting in life and being capable of thought and he thinks this is impossible without some kind of intelligence broader scale consciousness at the beginning before a big bang would even occur.

Yes this is a prevalent world view but let's not quibble on what to name this view yet or who is responsible for it. I think we can all agree Darwinism can easily be be fit into an atheist paradigm and make it seem like a feasible alternative to religious views of creation.
And then after that we can also ask was this an innocent theory Darwin had or was he purposely trying to undermine the religious point of view.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
question:

Do most quantum physicists believe in intelligent design?

I didn't say some I said most

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You are just making empty declarations and claims right now. If I'm exaggerating things, prove it. Nobody is going to take your word for it, just because you say it's so. I've already posted multiple quotes stating that Newtonian worldview is the default worldview of mainstream science. What have you posted to contradict this. outside of your own assertions?
I agree with you that there are misconceptions and flaws with European belief systems. However, the way you describe them is what I disagree with them. You keep trying to shoehorn science into being monolithic even when it has never been like that. In reality, Western science and western views of the world are constantly changing. Darwin himself is part of that process and his views changed and his biggest impact was in the idea of general evolutionary theory. I agree on that. However, I disagree that many of his other views such as directionality were ever as influential as general evolutionary theory. General evolutionary theory is still part of modern science but it has changed since the time of Darwin. Science is not stuck in a time warp.

The ideas you yourself are speaking of are part of modern science, not separate from it. And in many ways they always have been part of science or before that natural philosophy, metaphysics and cosmology. These ideas have always been there and therefore what you are talking about is not new. It is just that as time goes on various ideas and theories come along and try to answer some of the age old riddles of life but never ever provide an ultimate answer. But to claim that because these ideas fluctuate over time means that the questions and meaning of the mind and the origins of life and relationship to a "supernatural" intelligence at work in the universe is "new" is the problem. It is not new, these ideas have been around forever and aren't going anywhere anytime soon because that is the nature of such questions, which is why they remain in the domain of philosophy and cosmology or even theology (religious belief).

So don't misunderstand me. I don't disagree with some of what you are saying but the way you present it is somewhat flawed.

quote:

Darwin’s ideas circulated widely. They were quickly taken up by a variety of scientific, cultural, and political projects. Colonialism, racism, capitalism, socialism, atheism, materialism, sexism, feminism, modernism, and, of course, the life sciences, all claimed the Darwinian mantle. What united them was the insight that the human species was just another biological organism, fully subject to the natural order of things. A strong corollary was that we retain the primitive attributes of our ancestors: we all have a beast within; our humanity is a thin veneer. And indeed, Darwinism brought to the fore emerging ideas in Western intellectual life, ideas that claimed no order beyond the natural order—that provided no privileged place for theology or metaphysics—that saw our place in the world coming solely from the world itself.

Social Science

Darwinism became a touchstone for the emerging social sciences of the late nineteenth century. Social critics such as Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) argued that “survival of the fittest” (his phrase) justified laissez-faire capitalism, where all competed against all in the “struggle for existence” (Darwin’s phrase). Spencer portrayed the human social world as the sphere of unrestrained competition, with all attempts to mitigate that struggle as hindering the evolutionary process, being out of synch with nature.

Karl Marx (1818-1883) and his collaborator, Friedrich Engels (1820-1895), also claimed Darwin, but for scientific socialism. They laid out a pattern of social evolution—from primitive societies, through ancient empires, feudalism, and capitalism, to socialism—whose engine of change lay in the internal dynamics of the society, as it grappled with the human problems of getting and sharing the wealth of the world. Marx maintained that—just as Darwin had done—he was describing the inevitable changes in the evolving social and economic world, which he observed and understood as a scientist would.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/darwin/world.html

Again, the biggest schism in Western thought caused by Darwinism is the split between Religious belief (creationism) and evolution. And much of that split is due to literal interpretation of biblical scripture versus the cosmological, ontological and metaphysical concepts underlying the symbolism of the bible going back to ancient Greece and the early church fathers, embodied by Christ the Logos. Again Christ the Logos is the epitome of the idea of the physical world being a reflection of the infinite "mind" of creation akin to "intelligent design". So suffice to say these aren't new ideas in the realm of philosophy or science.

Hence you get stuff like this:
quote:

In July 2008, when BioLogos was but a new creation without so much as a website, I presented a paper at the C.S. Lewis Foundation’s triennial Oxbridge meeting. The paper was called C.S. Lewis on Intelligent Design, and I boldly yet fearfully put a rolled-up copy in the hands of one Francis S. Collins, who was a plenary speaker at the conference.

I was already familiar with Collins, having read The Language of God when it appeared, and having been one of many people who plied him with further questions afterwards (in my case, in a handwritten note on my very best stationery). Reading over the paper today, there are a few things I would write differently now (namely I’d be a bit more nuanced in my descriptions of the Intelligent Design movement). But I was over the moon when Collins wrote to say he found my paper “well researched and articulately presented.” That fateful day at the conference eventually led to my present employment at BioLogos—nothing short of Providence.

C.S. Lewis is one of the patron saints of Evangelicalism, if there ever was one. Lewis’s works of apologetics, children’s literature, and science fiction are almost universally known and loved among Evangelicals. Lewis’s thoughts on science and faith are less well known, but he wrote extensively of science, and even of evolution, both in his popular works, like Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain, and in private letters.

I offer just a few Lewisian gems for reflection (see the paper for citations and discussion). First, on the nature of science itself:

Science works by experiments. It watches how things behave. Every scientific statement in the long run, however complicated it looks, really means something like, ‘I pointed the telescope to such and such a part of the sky at 2:20 a.m. on January 15th and saw so and-so,’ […] Do not think I am saying anything against science: I am only saying what its job is [….] But why anything comes to be there at all, and whether there is anything behind the things science observes--something of a different kind--this is not a scientific question.[1]

For Lewis, science isn’t equipped to answer some of the most fundamental and important questions of all, such as, Why there is something rather than nothing? and Is there a God?

Perhaps surprisingly, Lewis makes this same point when talking about evolution:

We must sharply distinguish between Evolution as a biological theorem and popular Evolutionism or Developmentalism which is certainly a Myth. [...] To the biologist Evolution […] covers more of the facts than any other hypothesis at present on the market and is therefore to be accepted unless, or until, some new supposal can be shown to cover still more facts with even fewer assumptions. […] It makes no cosmic statements, no metaphysical statements, no eschatological statements.[2]

The real danger is not evolutionary theory, then, but Evolutionism—the all-encompassing worldview. Lewis was right to want to put Evolutionism to rest once and for all. (This is certainly a goal BioLogos shares with the ID movement, even as we disagree about the science of evolution.)

What about human evolution? Lewis famously envisioned an evolutionary scenario for Adam and Eve in The Problem of Pain, but I offer this quote because it is less well known:

Just as my belief in my own immortal & rational soul does not oblige or qualify me to hold a particular theory of the pre-natal history of my embryo, so my belief that Men in general have immortal & rational souls does not oblige or qualify me to hold a theory of their pre-human organic history-if they have one.[3]

In other words, so what if we had non-human biological forebears? We are still immortal, rational, ensouled creatures made in God’s image.

https://biologos.org/blogs/kathryn-applegate-endless-forms-most-beautiful/cs-lewis-on-science-evolution-and-evolutionism

Not saying I agree with this, but that these ideas still exist and aren't going anywhere even with new discoveries in science.

Focusing too explicitly on one theory or another only ignores the overall pattern of human thought throughout history which always had includes such ideas as "natural intelligence" and "intelligent design" in one form or another, whether or not physical science acknowledges it or not.

quote:

Genetic mutations are the driving force of evolution, and now scientists have managed to study the effect of mutations in exquisite detail by watching what happens as they pop up in single cells.

Only about one percent of mutations were bad enough to kill off the cell, according to a report published Thursday in Science. Most of the time, these small changes in its DNA appeared to have no effect at all.

Mutations have been studied for centuries, says Lydia Robert, a researcher at INRA, an agricultural research institute in Paris, France, who notes that they can have medical impacts ranging from antibiotic resistance to cancer.

But research on mutations basically has focused on large-scale effects in populations.

"You have a test tube with millions of bacteria, for instance, and you try to measure some property which is an average of all the cells in the population," says Robert.

In contrast, she and her colleagues wanted to study mutations in single cells.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/03/15/593918690/biologists-trace-genetic-roots-of-evolution-one-cell-at-a-time
Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
People mainly care about two things when it comes to religion

1) is there an intelligent being or higher consciousness of some kind that takes into account the morality of the choices we make?

2) is there an afterlife?

Three main models might address this

a) yes there a higher consciousness that created everything and takes into account the morality of the choices we make
and yes there is an after life and our circumstances in it are determined by what our behavior was before dying.

b) No, there is no creator being, no higher form of consciousness somewhere in the air and no higher being that takes into account the morality of the choices we make and no there is no afterlife, that is all child-like yearning for parents to take care of us

c) yes there an intelligent creator consciousness but we are like flys to this higher consciousness.
This intelligent creator is far above on a much higher level
creating planets an solar systems. What we think is righteous behavior or immoral behavior is completely meaningless to this higher form of consciousness. Volcanoes erupt, floods and earthquakes occur. It has nothing to do with our moral behavior. This higher form of consciousness
does not register what we think is "good" and "evil"

So if we say (b)can't be right because all these complex things like flying animals and humans who can make art and airplanes, the complexity of the eye can't just be a product of random accidents beginning with chemicals.

and instead we pick (c)
we might as well have picked (b) because the higher consciousness in (c) does not connect to any of our concerns as human beings.
It's like saying that nature is a form of consciousness
but it doesn't care if we act good or evil and has no special concern for us.
So we are left with a nice sound phrase "there is a higher form of consciousness" but in this scenario this higher form of consciousness doesn't care about us or what we do. It's out there creating new planets and life forms and moving on

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
I agree with you that there are misconceptions and flaws with European belief systems. However, the way you describe them is what I disagree with them. You keep trying to shoehorn science into being monolithic even when it has never been like that. In reality, Western science and western views of the world are constantly changing.

How is saying mainstream science operates within the Newtonian worldview the same thing as portraying science as a monolith? I have never criticized science in this thread. I have criticized MAINSTREAM science. I don't see how criticizing MAINSTREAM science is the same as attacking science.

quote:
Darwin himself is part of that process and his views changed and his biggest impact was in the idea of general evolutionary theory. I agree on that. However, I disagree that many of his other views such as directionality were ever as influential as general evolutionary theory. General evolutionary theory is still part of modern science but it has changed since the time of Darwin. Science is not stuck in a time warp.
I said they are stuck within their worldview, not in specific beliefs.

quote:
The ideas you yourself are speaking of are part of modern science, not separate from it. And in many ways they always have been part of science or before that natural philosophy, metaphysics and cosmology. These ideas have always been there and therefore what you are talking about is not new.
Quote me saying these ideas are new or not a part of science.

quote:
Not saying I agree with this, but that these ideas still exist and aren't going anywhere even with new discoveries in science.
What the point of posting this? The author is not a part of mainstream science. My criticisms are not directed at him/her. And you're proving my point. The author is fearful to present his/her ideas.

Don't tell me Darwinists are not a little faith based club then post a quote confirming people are feeling fearful of presenting their ideas. You can't contradict yourself that overtly and then tell me I'm misrepresenting how mainstream science works.

EDIT
Actually, the quote isn't specific enough as far as the reason why the author was fearful. But still, Darwinism is founded on academic fraud and falsehoods. And they go to great lengths to protect their doctrines so that people who don't share their beliefs are often unwilling to speak up.

A Critique of Darwinist Icons (Icons of Evolution)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3aShKST1A

And you can't get through to these people. They have been approached about problems by people inside and outside their fields and they refuse to listen. You claimed to have watched this lecture a couple thread pages ago. So you know very well my concern is not to simply paint them as monoliths. My concern is that they operate like the medieval Catholic church in terms of their approach to contrary evidence and confirmation bias. This is not the same thing as saying they are monoliths in specific beliefs. Although they are certainly monoliths in worldview.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Swenet is suggesting science which he calls "non-mainstream" and he puts quantum mechanics into this category,he is suggesting that scientists like the ones who came up with the hologram metaphor support intelligent design

However in most instances this is not the case

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
This is amusing if you can pick up on the politics and subtext of what's going on

Do we need an Extended Evolutionary Synthesis (EES)?
http://extendedevolutionarysynthesis.com/why-do-we-need-an-ees/

Here is my take:

The article describes a 'newly' emerged camp within the church of Darwin. This camp consists of dissatisfied Darwinists who see problems with the current direction. They insist that new findings about evolution call for a new understanding, but the priests of the Darwinian church refuse to listen. These disgruntled Darwinists realize the sacred doctrines of natural selection need change, but they're ignored by the rest of the church.

The amusing part is where the disgruntled church members are trying distance themselves from intelligent design/creationists who have taken up their work. Since these appreciated, but publicly inconvenient co-signs complicate their petitions to the Darwinian establishment, they have to make sure they're seen denouncing creationism in public. This will signal to the church that their loyalty to the church is unwavering. The disgruntled Darwinists assure the Darwinian church that they're not disloyal to the church. They just want to kindly destroy all the foundations of the church set by the prophet of natural selection. They believe that with the loving prayer of the Extended Evolutionary Synthesis, the church will let them carry out the loving destruction they have in mind. They say with a straight face: "rest assured we're still Darwinists, but Darwinism has to go".

But here is the thing. How much do the disgruntled Darwinists think Darwinism can be stretched to accommodate unforeseen evolutionary mechanisms? Darwinism has been stretched enough as it is, incorporating ideas like punctuated equilibrium and horizontal gene transfer, which are in conflict with Darwin and sometimes with even wit the evidence. They are working with ideas that raise the question whether it still falls under Darwin. The way this is heading, 'Darwinism' is going to be a fossilized (excuse the pun) label taken up by heretics and liars doing work under that name for political reasons.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^ false representation of Extended Evolutionary Synthesis (EES)

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/282/1813/20151019

The extended evolutionary synthesis: its structure, assumptions and predictions
Kevin N. Laland, Tobias Uller, Marcus W. Feldman, Kim Sterelny, Gerd B. Müller, Armin Moczek, Eva Jablonka, John Odling-Smee
Published 5 August 2015

‘Extended Evolutionary Synthesis' (EES), retains the fundaments of evolutionary theory, but differs in its emphasis on the role of constructive processes in development and evolution, and reciprocal portrayals of causation.

http://extendedevolutionarysynthesis.com/why-evolution-may-be-smarter-than-we-thought/

-

Intelligent design without a creator? Why evolution may be smarter than we thought

by Richard A Watson

27 February 2017

Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution offers an explanation for why biological organisms seem so well designed to live on our planet. This process is typically described as ‘unintelligent’ – based on random variations with no direction. But despite its success, some oppose this theory because they don’t believe living things can evolve in increments. Something as complex as the eye of an animal, they argue, must be the product of an intelligent creator.

I don’t think invoking a supernatural creator can ever be a scientifically useful explanation. But what about intelligence that isn’t supernatural? Our new results, based on computer modelling, link evolutionary processes to the principles of learning and intelligent problem solving – without involving any higher powers. This suggests that, although evolution may have started off blind, with a couple of billion years of experience it has got smarter.

Our work shows that the evolution of regulatory connections between genes, which govern how genes are expressed in our cells, has the same learning capabilities as neural networks. In other words, gene networks evolve like neural networks learn. While connections in neural networks change in the direction that maximizes rewards, natural selection changes genetic connections in the direction that increases fitness. The ability to learn is not itself something that needs to be designed – it is an inevitable product of random variation and selection when acting on connections.

The exciting implication of this is that evolution can evolve to get better at evolving in exactly the same way that a neural network can learn to be a better problem solver with experience. The intelligent bit is not explicit ‘thinking ahead’ (or anything else un-Darwinian); it is the evolution of connections that allow it to solve new problems without looking ahead.

So, when an evolutionary task we guessed would be difficult (such as producing the eye) turns out to be possible with incremental improvement, instead of concluding that dumb evolution was sufficient after all, we might recognize that evolution was very smart to have found building blocks that make the problem look so easy.

Interestingly, Alfred Russel Wallace (who suggested a theory of natural selection at the same time as Darwin) later used the term ‘intelligent evolution’ to argue for divine intervention in the trajectory of evolutionary processes. If the formal link between learning and evolution continues to expand, the same term could become used to imply the opposite.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Ha ha ha. Come hear this joke.

"Intelligent design, but don't worry! We're still Darwinists!"

All said with a straight face, of course.

Next up: stay tuned for supernatural Darwinism, messiah Darwinism and E.T. Darwinism!

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

http://extendedevolutionarysynthesis.com/why-evolution-may-be-smarter-than-we-thought/

Intelligent design without a creator? Why evolution may be smarter than we thought

by Richard A Watson

27 February 2017

Interestingly, Alfred Russel Wallace (who suggested a theory of natural selection at the same time as Darwin) later used the term ‘intelligent evolution’ to argue for divine intervention in the trajectory of evolutionary processes. If the formal link between learning and evolution continues to expand, the same term could become used to imply the opposite. [/QB]

Britannica:

Alfred Russel Wallace

Alfred Russel Wallace, byname A.R. Wallace, (born Jan. 8, 1823, Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales—died Nov. 7, 1913, Broadstone, Dorset, Eng.), British humanist, naturalist, geographer, and social critic. He became a public figure in England during the second half of the 19th century, known for his courageous views on scientific, social, and spiritualist subjects. His formulation of the theory of evolution by natural selection, which predated Charles Darwin’s published contributions, is his most outstanding legacy, but it was just one of many controversial issues he studied and wrote about during his lifetime. Wallace’s wide-ranging interests—from socialism to spiritualism, from island biogeography to life on Mars, from evolution to land nationalization—stemmed from his profound concern with the moral, social, and political values of human life.
Wallace’s two-volume Geographical Distribution of Animals (1876) and Island Life (1880) became the standard authorities in zoogeography and island biogeography, synthesizing knowledge about the distribution and dispersal of living and extinct animals in an evolutionary framework.

from an Amazon book review
quote:

will not directly comment on this attempt to make Wallace into an intelligent design advocate, except to reproduce his own words on the matter (from another of his books, Contributions to the Theory of Natural Selection, 2d ed.):

--"Some of my critics seem quite to have misunderstood my meaning in this part of the argument. They have accused me of unnecessarily and unphilosophically appealing to "first causes" in order to get over a difficulty--of believing that "our brains are made by God and our lungs by natural selection;" and that, in point of fact, "man is God's domestic animal." An eminent French critic, M. Claparède, makes me continually call in the aid of--"une Force supérieure," the capital F, meaning I imagine that this "higher Force" is the Deity. I can only explain this misconception by the incapacity of the modern cultivated mind to realise the existence of any higher intelligence between itself and Deity. Angels and archangels, spirits and demons, have been so long banished from our belief as to have become actually unthinkable as actual existences, and nothing in modern philosophy takes their place. Yet the grand law of "continuity," the last outcome of modern science, which seems absolute throughout the realms of matter, force, and mind, so far as we can explore them, cannot surely fail to be true beyond the narrow sphere of our vision, and leave an infinite chasm between man and the Great Mind of the universe. Such a supposition seems to me in the highest degree improbable.

Now, in referring to the origin of man, and its possible determining causes, I have used the words "some other power"--"some intelligent power"--"a superior intelligence"--"a controlling intelligence," and only in reference to the origin of universal forces and laws have I spoken of the will or power of "one Supreme Intelligence." These are the only expressions I have used in alluding to the power which I believe has acted in the case of man, and they were purposely chosen to show, that I reject the hypothesis of "first causes" for any and every special effect in the universe, except in the same sense that the action of man or of any other intelligent being is a first cause. In using such terms I wished to show plainly, that I contemplated the possibility that the development of the essentially human portions of man's structure and intellect may have been determined by the directing influence of some higher intelligent beings, acting through natural and universal laws. A belief of this nature may or may not have a foundation, but it is an intelligible theory, and is not, in its nature, incapable of proof; and it rests on facts and arguments of an exactly similar kind to those, which would enable a sufficiently powerful intellect to deduce, from the existence on the earth of cultivated plants and domestic animals, the presence of some intelligent being of a higher nature than themselves."

Wallace was a spiritualist, but spiritualists believe that existence, though in part nonphysical, is understandable on the basis of law, not intervention. Thus Wallace was neither entirely a Darwinian, nor at all an I.D. advocate.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

by Richard A Watson

27 February 2017

Interestingly, Alfred Russel Wallace (who suggested a theory of natural selection at the same time as Darwin) later used the term ‘intelligent evolution’ to argue for divine intervention in the trajectory of evolutionary processes. If the formal link between learning and evolution continues to expand, the same term could become used to imply the opposite. [/QB]

Britannica:

Alfred Russel Wallace

Alfred Russel Wallace, byname A.R. Wallace, (born Jan. 8, 1823, Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales—died Nov. 7, 1913, Broadstone, Dorset, Eng.), British humanist, naturalist, geographer, and social critic. He became a public figure in England during the second half of the 19th century, known for his courageous views on scientific, social, and spiritualist subjects. His formulation of the theory of evolution by natural selection, which predated Charles Darwin’s published contributions, is his most outstanding legacy, but it was just one of many controversial issues he studied and wrote about during his lifetime. Wallace’s wide-ranging interests—from socialism to spiritualism, from island biogeography to life on Mars, from evolution to land nationalization—stemmed from his profound concern with the moral, social, and political values of human life.
Wallace’s two-volume Geographical Distribution of Animals (1876) and Island Life (1880) became the standard authorities in zoogeography and island biogeography, synthesizing knowledge about the distribution and dispersal of living and extinct animals in an evolutionary framework.

from an Amazon book review
quote:

will not directly comment on this attempt to make Wallace into an intelligent design advocate, except to reproduce his own words on the matter (from another of his books, Contributions to the Theory of Natural Selection, 2d ed.):

--"Some of my critics seem quite to have misunderstood my meaning in this part of the argument. They have accused me of unnecessarily and unphilosophically appealing to "first causes" in order to get over a difficulty--of believing that "our brains are made by God and our lungs by natural selection;" and that, in point of fact, "man is God's domestic animal." An eminent French critic, M. Claparède, makes me continually call in the aid of--"une Force supérieure," the capital F, meaning I imagine that this "higher Force" is the Deity. I can only explain this misconception by the incapacity of the modern cultivated mind to realise the existence of any higher intelligence between itself and Deity. Angels and archangels, spirits and demons, have been so long banished from our belief as to have become actually unthinkable as actual existences, and nothing in modern philosophy takes their place. Yet the grand law of "continuity," the last outcome of modern science, which seems absolute throughout the realms of matter, force, and mind, so far as we can explore them, cannot surely fail to be true beyond the narrow sphere of our vision, and leave an infinite chasm between man and the Great Mind of the universe. Such a supposition seems to me in the highest degree improbable.

Now, in referring to the origin of man, and its possible determining causes, I have used the words "some other power"--"some intelligent power"--"a superior intelligence"--"a controlling intelligence," and only in reference to the origin of universal forces and laws have I spoken of the will or power of "one Supreme Intelligence." These are the only expressions I have used in alluding to the power which I believe has acted in the case of man, and they were purposely chosen to show, that I reject the hypothesis of "first causes" for any and every special effect in the universe, except in the same sense that the action of man or of any other intelligent being is a first cause. In using such terms I wished to show plainly, that I contemplated the possibility that the development of the essentially human portions of man's structure and intellect may have been determined by the directing influence of some higher intelligent beings, acting through natural and universal laws. A belief of this nature may or may not have a foundation, but it is an intelligible theory, and is not, in its nature, incapable of proof; and it rests on facts and arguments of an exactly similar kind to those, which would enable a sufficiently powerful intellect to deduce, from the existence on the earth of cultivated plants and domestic animals, the presence of some intelligent being of a higher nature than themselves."

Wallace was a spiritualist, but spiritualists believe that existence, though in part nonphysical, is understandable on the basis of law, not intervention. Thus Wallace was neither entirely a Darwinian, nor at all an I.D. advocate.

-

https://evolutionnews.org/2016/06/alfred_wallace/

Alfred Russel Wallace — Intelligent Design’s Lost Ancestor, Now Found
David Klinghoffer
June 2, 2016,

historian colleague Michael Flannery explains:

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
I agree with you that there are misconceptions and flaws with European belief systems. However, the way you describe them is what I disagree with them. You keep trying to shoehorn science into being monolithic even when it has never been like that. In reality, Western science and western views of the world are constantly changing.

How is saying mainstream science operates within the Newtonian worldview the same thing as portraying science as a monolith? I have never criticized science in this thread. I have criticized MAINSTREAM science. I don't see how criticizing MAINSTREAM science is the same as attacking science.

quote:
Darwin himself is part of that process and his views changed and his biggest impact was in the idea of general evolutionary theory. I agree on that. However, I disagree that many of his other views such as directionality were ever as influential as general evolutionary theory. General evolutionary theory is still part of modern science but it has changed since the time of Darwin. Science is not stuck in a time warp.
I said they are stuck within their worldview, not in specific beliefs.

quote:
The ideas you yourself are speaking of are part of modern science, not separate from it. And in many ways they always have been part of science or before that natural philosophy, metaphysics and cosmology. These ideas have always been there and therefore what you are talking about is not new.
Quote me saying these ideas are new or not a part of science.

quote:
What the point of posting this? The author is not a part of mainstream science. My criticisms are not directed at him/her. And you're proving my point. The author is fearful to present his/her ideas.

Don't tell me Darwinists are not a little faith based club then post a quote confirming people are feeling fearful of presenting their ideas. You can't contradict yourself that overtly and then tell me I'm misrepresenting how mainstream science works.

The problem with you line of thought that I am against is perfectly summarized by the previous paragraph. You say "Darwinists". Who are the scientists or where is the cabal within "mainstream" science that calls itself the "Darwinists" who have a cult like control over mainstream scientific views. It doesn't exist. You keep trying to conflate "mainstream" science with a cult of darwinists which is absolutely an incorrect way of presenting the issue.

There may be some "Darwinists" out there who hold onto certain beliefs but to claim that they are "controlling" or "forcing" mainstream science to support their world view is overreaching.

quote:

EDIT
Actually, the quote isn't specific enough as far as the reason why the author was fearful. But still, Darwinism is founded on academic fraud and falsehoods. And they go to great lengths to protect their doctrines so that people who don't share their beliefs are often unwilling to speak up.

A Critique of Darwinist Icons (Icons of Evolution)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3aShKST1A

And you can't get through to these people. They have been approached about problems by people inside and outside their fields and they refuse to listen. You claimed to have watched this lecture a couple thread pages ago. So you know very well my concern is not to simply paint them as monoliths. My concern is that they operate like the medieval Catholic church in terms of their approach to contrary evidence and confirmation bias. This is not the same thing as saying they are monoliths in specific beliefs. Although they are certainly monoliths in worldview.

And this video only shows how modern science has moved on from "Darwinism" as a blind faith into other aspects of biological evolution, including genetics. So I don't disagree and have never disagreed with aspects of Darwin's ideas being flawed. I have a problem with claiming that all "mainstream science" was fully and completely in agreement with every aspect of Darwin going back to his time. And I certainly don't agree that modern "mainstream" science is stuck with the flaws inherent with Darwin's theories. The videos do give a good overview of the flaws inherent in Darwins work, but "mainstream" science has already acknowledged that, going back many years. In fact, as the video states, even Darwin acknowledge the issues found in the Cambrian explosion. This is why genetics is a very big area of modern evolutionary science, which did not exist at Darwin's time.

Now, I don't see a problem proposed by the Cambrian explosion at least in the way it is currently seen as a problem with "evolution". It does not overturn "evolution". It reinforces it, in the sense that most of the phyla that appeared in the Cambrian clearly show evolutionary behavior in the number of species that have come along since within them.

The issue for me is why were new phyla only added during the Cambrian and no no phyla have been added since and why only during the Cambrian did these Phyla come to be? It sounds to me like there are still a great many gaps in understanding of HOW life evolved on this planet not so much that evolution in a general sense is outdated. The key question is how and why did single cell an simple multi-cell organisms become the major biological phyla we see today. That is a big question only second to how did single cell organisms evolve in the first place. I talked about this a few pages back. These are the big hot topic areas of modern "evolutionary" biology.

quote:

The further back in time you go, the patchier our understanding of life on Earth gets. That's because fossils from those early years are extremely hard to come by and interpret, for a number of reasons. Now, British scientists have used a different method known as a molecular clock to plot out a rough timeline of all life on Earth, tracing the first organisms back to about 4.5 billion years ago.

The fossil record is relatively rich back till around the Cambrian Period, when life exploded in diversity about 540 million years ago. Before then life was much simpler and didn't necessarily have the kinds of hard tissues that fossilize well, so the record largely rests on trace fossils – things like tracks and burrows that indicate the presence of life, rather than their bodily remains.

The fossil record gets murkier towards the Archaean period, over 2.5 billion years ago. The oldest confirmed fossils are about 3.4 billion years old, but other potential evidence includes a 3.5 billion-year-old hot spring in Australia, 3.7 billion-year-old stromatolites in Greenland, and the oldest (but most contentious) could be as ancient as 4.3 billion years.

"There are few fossils from the Archaean and they generally cannot be unambiguously assigned to the lineages we are familiar with, like the blue-green algae or the salt-loving archaebacteria that colors salt-marshes pink all around the world," says Holly Betts, lead author of the new study. "The problem with the early fossil record of life is that it is so limited and difficult to interpret – careful reanalysis of the some of the very oldest fossils has shown them to be crystals, not fossils at all."

While fossils are great as propping up our overall understanding of the timeline of life, they can't paint a complete picture. After all, life had to have developed enough to leave fossils behind in the first place.

https://newatlas.com/ancestor-all-life-earlier/56003/

Again, going back a few pages I spoke of how science is still not able to reproduce the circumstances for new single cell organisms to form from chemical processes......

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK9841/

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Doug, if you have to ask me to name Darwinists, you obviously didn't watch the lecture. Why lie? You have not watched the lecture and all your posts show it.

And you post articles that answer questions you've been asking over several thread pages. You obviously don't even read your own articles. Here it is, from your own article:

quote:

quote:
We must sharply distinguish between Evolution as a biological theorem and popular Evolutionism or Developmentalism which is certainly a Myth. [...] To the biologist Evolution […] covers more of the facts than any other hypothesis at present on the market and is therefore to be accepted unless, or until, some new supposal can be shown to cover still more facts with even fewer assumptions. […] It makes no cosmic statements, no metaphysical statements, no eschatological statements.[2]
The real danger is not evolutionary theory, then, but Evolutionism—the all-encompassing worldview. Lewis was right to want to put Evolutionism to rest once and for all. (This is certainly a goal BioLogos shares with the ID movement, even as we disagree about the science of evolution.)
While the word Darwinism is not used in this quote, it does talk about popular evolutionism. This is the same thing I've been talking about. Doug posts this article, then keeps asking me to substantiate the distinction, even though it's in is his article.

The problem with you, Doug, is that you are simply clueless about ongoing conversations and debates, which extends even to the articles you post. You are also in denial and indoctrinated, criticizing what you call "rationalism" not realizing you're knee-deep in it yourself. It shows in your line of questioning and inability to comprehend my arguments. It shows in your posting of articles that say the same thing you see wrong in my posts. It is not my responsibility to inform you about the ongoing conversations that are taking place and how the disagreements are structured. When I post, my audience is people who intend to research and verify/falsify or people who have already done research and who can hold an intelligent debate without getting confused over widely used words.

Stop wasting my time and your own time. You're obviously not going to read/comprehend anything (not even your own sources), so what is the point in asking me to substantiate something?

=============

I also reject all claims attributed to me in this thread from now on unless there is a quote showing I said it. If people are attributing something to me and it sounds absurd and there is no quote, it's deliberate. They're lying.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Swenet seems to take two different inconsistent positions on this topic

a)Evolution is guided by an intelligent consciousness. That is how a one cell animal could eventually evolve into a human being

b)"Evolution impossible"
Evolution is impossible. Complex life forms cannot arise from simple ones. Animals come about separately there is no transformation of one to another. For instance, birds did not evolve from reptiles

Maybe Swenet takes one or the other of these position as per which one is more convenient at the moment ?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
During my years as a physical science undergraduate and biology
graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley, I believed
almost everything I read in my textbooks. I knew that the books contained a
few misprints and minor factual errors, and I was skeptical of philosophical
claims that went beyond the evidence, but I thought that most of what I was
being taught was substantially true.
As I was finishing my Ph.D. in cell and developmental biology, however, I
noticed that all of my textbooks dealing with evolutionary biology
contained a blatant misrepresentation
: Drawings of vertebrate embryos
showing similarities that were supposed to be evidence for descent from a
common ancestor. But as an embryologist I knew the drawings were false.
Not only did they distort the embryos they purported to show, but they also
omitted earlier stages in which the embryos look very different from each
other.

My assessment of the embryo drawings was confirmed in 1997, when
British embryologist Michael Richardson and his colleagues published an
article in the journal Anatomy and Embryology, comparing the textbook
drawings with actual embryos. Richardson was subsequently quoted in the
leading American journal Science as saying: "It looks like it's turning out to
be one of the most famous fakes in biology."

Yet most people remain unaware Of the truth, and even biology
textbooks published after 1997 continue to carry the faked drawings
. Since
then, I have discovered that many other textbook illustrations distort the
evidence for evolution, too.
At first, I found this hard to believe. How could
so many textbooks contain so many misrepresentations for so long? Why
hadn't they been noticed before? Then I discovered that other biologists
have noticed most of them, and have even criticized them in print. But their
criticisms have been ignored.

The pattern is consistent, and suggests more than simple error. At the
very least, it suggests that Darwinism encourages distortions of the truth.
How many of these distortions are unconscious and how many are
deliberate remains to be seen. But the result is clear: Students and the
public are being systematically misinformed about the evidence for
evolution.

This book is about that evidence. To document it, I quote from the peer-
reviewed work of hundreds of scientists, most of whom believe in Darwinian
evolution. When I quote them, it is not because I want to make it sound as
though they reject Darwin's theory; most of them do not. I quote them
because they are experts on the evidence.
Wherever possible, I have avoided technical language. For those who
want more details, I include extensive notes at the end of the book referring
to the scientific literature. The notes are not intended to be exhaustive
(except where they list sources of quotations), but to aid readers who want
to pursue matters further.
The chapters are followed by two appendices. The first critically
evaluates ten widely-used biology textbooks, from the high school to the
graduate level. The second suggests warning labels, like those used on packs
of cigarettes, that schools might want to place in their teaching materials to
alert students to the misrepresentations.
Many people were kind enough to review and comment on the
manuscript. Those who assisted me with technical details in the indicated
sections or chapters include: Lydia McGrew (Introduction); Dean Kenyon
and Royal Truman (The Miller-Urey Experiment); John Wiester (the
Cambrian explosion, in The Tree of Life); W. Ford Doolittle (molecular
phylogeny, in The Tree of Life); Brian K. Hall (Homology); Ashby Camp and
Alan Feduccia (Archaeopteryx); Theodore D. Sargent (Peppered Moths); Tony
Jelsma (Darwin's Finches); Edward B. Lewis (genetics of triple mutants, in
Four-winged Fruit Flies); and James Graham (human origins, in The
Ultimate Icon). Listing these people here does not imply that they endorse
my views. On the contrary, many of them will disagree with my conclusions
and recommendations. But for these fine people, science is the search for
truth, and I am indebted to them for helping me get the facts straight, Of
course, any errors that remain are my fault, not theirs.

Source

Now go read online how his critics are mostly deflecting, making excuses, fishing for personal/religious views to attack, etc. Everything they can possibly do to distract from the fact that Darwinism is built on fraud and falsehoods.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
As work continued in the 1800s, the physical and chemical basis of the
electrical activity associated With nerves would come to be well understood.
For our purposes, the key point is that what was originally viewed as a purely
biological phenomena, and one that fit well within the vitalist view, is now
understood to be, at bottom, an electrical phenomenon resulting from physical
and chemical processes not different in kind from those found outside of biology.
And so this area of biology is seen, at bottom, to fit in well with the overall
mechanistic, Newtonian understanding Of physical and chemical processes
As a second brief example, consider the early years of organic chemistry. Before
the early 1800s, the standard view was that what would come to be called
"organic" compounds could only be produced by living organisms
. Moreover,
organic chemistry was originally viewed as closely tied to vitalism, in that the vital
fluid or vital force believed necessary for life was generally viewed as required to
produce organic compounds. And for a number of years, this seemed to be a
reasonable view, supported in large part by the fact that no one was successful in
producing organic compounds other than by means involving living organisms.
However, in 1828 Friedrich Wohler (1800—82) managed to produce urea,
which is clearly an organic compound, from an inorganic compound. Chemists
were soon able to produce other organic compounds from inorganic ones,
including increasingly complex organic compounds.
By the mid- 1850s this
feat became routine, and this too substantially undermined the vitalist view of
the sharp distinction between living and nonliving things
A final example involves work in evolutionary theory, largely in the early to mid
1800s. The end result would be that life in general, for example the variety of species,
would be seen to be the result of natural processes operating according to natural
laws. Darwin himself was deliberately working within a Newtonian approach
. Much
as Newton's laws of motion govern the behavior of objects over time (moving
planets, falling objects, and the like), Darwin wanted to find laws governing changes
in species over time. parts of the story of the development of evolutionary theory will
be taken up in detail in part III of this book. So for now we will just summarize by
noting how Darwin's approach nicely illustrates how much of an influence
Newton's science, and the relatively new Newtonian worldview, was having on
other branches Of science. Newton's approach
— of looking for precisely specifiable
laws governing the behavior of whatever it was the particular science was investi-
gating — had come to be seen as the proper way to do science.
This is again a very brief sketch of these developments, but it illustrates the
sorts of major advances that were made in biology in the period from roughly
1700 to 1900. And, importantly, these examples illustrate how biological phe-
nomena came to be viewed, at bottom, as no different from nonbiological
phenomena
. Although there were still a few defenders Of vitalism even into
the early 1900s, by this time it was pretty clear that the mechanist view was
correct.
Discoveries in the twentieth century, for example in genetics, sealed the
case, and provided a good understanding Of how living phenomena arise from
molecular-level events.
In general, by the early twentieth century, biology,
chemistry, and physics were united
, and came to be viewed as investigating
the same Newtonian world, although at different levels

Source

Notice that what I say about the Newtonian worldview and Darwin's place in it is taken for granted in ongoing conversations people are having. Yet here on ES clueless and opinionated people expect you to explain all these words for them, as if these words are not used widely/like I'm making them up or something. Notice that in these books and debates it's not controversial to speak of mainstream science as operating within a monolithic worldview. So when I come here to post certain things, I'm assuming that people already know this. And if they don't know it, I assume they can do their own research. I never expect people to take my word for it. You can be critical and try to falsify everything I say. I have no problem with that. But then go do your own research and come back when you're ready instead pointificating when you can't even get the points of contention right.

We're now at thread page seven and some people are still stumped by basic information, demanding answers about names and terms as if it's my responsibility to give basic education. Sometimes this forum is like the twilight zone. Never know what basic, widely available truth you're going to get called out for. You could be quoting from a textbook and some uninformed ideologue will jump out of the woodwork to pontificate and lecture you on basic information.

I knew this would happen. Hence, why I posted books and lectures in the beginning of this thread. I should have known that sequacious instant google experts who habitually speak on subjects they don't understand, have no need for books and learning. Why use books when knowledge only complicates your agenda to spread misinformation.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^ here Swenet clarifies his position.
When you look at his Source

Icons of Evolution: Science or Myth? Why Much of What We Teach About Evolution Is Wrong
by Jonathan Wells

^ The purpose of this book is to shoot as many holes in the theory of evolution as possible and not offer an alternative theory.
The book doesn't have the word "God" or "bible" in it so you can't point to the book and say it's Christian.
Nevertheless it is written by Jonathan Wells, now a senior fellow at the creationist Discovery Institute

DOUG
you are wasting your time arguing what is "mainstream" and what is not.
The term Darwinism is used by intelligent design proponents and creationists to refer to the scientific consensus on evolution.

There is a wide acceptance among scientist of evolution. Swenet is right about that

Swenet is only believes in "micro evolution" that
in a particular species there is variation, like dogs have breeds but he does not believe in what most people think evolution means, what he calls "macro evolution", that one species transforms into another over time
He has stated this. He does not believe the ancestors of birds were reptiles and their ancestors were fish, etc etc

This is virtually not believing in evolution of any type or brand

So talking about what brand of evolution we are dealing with, whether or not it's "Darwinian" or whether or not "mainstream science" subscribes to the Darwinian version of it is a waste of time

Swenet doesn't believe in evolution as a whole. Please wake up and realize we are not talking about minor variations in evolutionary theory or updates on Darwin that might be acceptable.

We are talking about evolution of any type whether you want to refer to Darwinism or not
It is the idea that one species transforms into another.
Swenet does not believe that one species transforms into another even by being direct by a conscious intelligence.
He believes that that transformation doesn't occur at all.
That is what some call "macro evolution" and what most people simply call "evolution"

So this discussion is a red herring to talk about Darwin.
No alternative evolutionary theory has been proposed by Swenet.
That is because he doesn't believe one species can transform into another, period. A book he quoted is called "Evolution Impossible"
So it is not a matter of trying to find the right version of evolution.
It's that the theory of evolution is fundamentally wrong and there are no alternative versions of it that are right.
Try looking at all the quotes in this 7 page thread. You will not see one where Swenet is supporting some non-Darwinian theory of evolution.
He simply doesn't believe in evolution

So what "mainstream" scientists believe as it relates to this discussion is only relevant to whether or not they believe in evolution of any type
or they don't. He maintains that the "mainstream" ones are the ones that believe in evolution generally.
He blames Darwin for that. However it doesn't matter whose version is prominent. If it was somebody else and they said on species evolved into another, that complex comes from simple, he would say that is just as bad.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
» Turf Control
The secular transformation of Charles is not unusual. Students encounter an
ever more powerful yet cunning force when entering the academic mainstream
one for which believers are often unprepared. It is not simply ideological. It is
political. As such, it deserves attention.

The doctrines of naturalism and postmodernism have become institution-
alized in Western culture such that they go unquestioned and are accepted as
fact
. Over time it has become obvious that those holding the intellectual reins
of power have proven no more open-minded than their creationist forebears
. In
fact, the naturalists in particular carefully guard the turf of evolutionism, even
in the face of legitimate academic and scientific challenges to its validity
"In technical circles, where the empirical flaws are common knowledge," says
Finley, who supports creationism on scientific grounds, "evolutionists debate
the possibility that a new naturalistic explanation of life may be thought up,
but in public presentations they preach doctrinaire evolution and pretend that
the empirical problems do not exist
." Referring to the ape-to-man theory,
another group of scholars note that these observations are assumed and go
unchallenged
. 2
Absolutely no secret is made of this ideological commitment to naturalistic
evolution
. Recently, the American Association for the Advancement of Science
offered a seminar titled "Good Science, Bad Science: Teaching Evolution in the
States." Various states were graded on how favorably they handled evolution in
the classroom. A's were given to states that carefully hewed the ideological line.
Some received PS. One state, Kansas, was rated an F— , because it had the temer-
ity to refuse to claim that Darwin's notion of evolution accounts for all major
aspects of living things. The seminar, however, falsely accused Kansas of "remov-
ing all references to evolution. " Such is the hysteria surrounding any perceived
challenge to naturalism.
Any critique of naturalistic evolution seems to elicit a forceful dismissal.
When asked whether myriad scientific problems with naturalism should be cited
in the teaching curriculum, noted evolutionist Stephen Jay Gould had a ready
response: "We have no time to teach the conflicts."
Valid opposition to evolu-
tion is given no voice. Scholar Henry Creechan notes, "Any scientist who rejects
evolution tends to be branded a religious fanatic, or similar. The media either
ignores them or discredits them by disparagement."

The commitment to naturalism is far more philosophical than scientific. In
the face of indisputable scientific evidence to the contrary, naturalistic theories
are stated as fact
. And it doesn't end there. So committed are the devotees of
naturalism that when some of its claims do not stand up to rigorous scrutiny,
scholars have been willing to help the cause along in rather dubious ways.
» Fraud
Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution, makes a powerful case for stipulat-
ing a nonscientific bias present among naturalists. He points out that during
his academic career at the University of California, the very prospect of ques-
tioning prevailing scientific paradigms was unthinkable
. No longer so for Dr.
Wells, once he noticed a set of drawings of vertebrate embryos (fish, chicken,
humans, etc.) that were used to support the doctrine that all living organisms
emanated from a common ancestor.
The drawings were fake. The renderings, known to be forgeries for over a
century, were foundational to Charles Darwin
, who wrote, "I view all beings not
as special creations, but as the lineal descendants of some few beings." Darwin
held that differentiation among species occurred over time as organisms
adapted for surcival. He rooted his theory of evolution in embryology, finding
it to have "by far the strongest single class of facts"
favoring his paradigm.
Ernst Haeckel assisted Darwin by providing drawings of various vertebrates
designed to indicate that they were virtually identical in their earliest stages of
development. Haeckel "doctored his drawings to make embryos appear more
alike than they really were." Haeckel's drawings have lingered in academic cir-
cles despite critiques by his contemporaries
. Even when in 1997 British embry-
ologist Michael Richardson provided conclusive evidence that the drawings were
contrived, the drawings still held firm in academe
- Beyond the fraudulent draw-
ings, Haeckel omitted the earliest embryonic stages, in which differences among
the vertebrates are more pronounced. As far back as 1976, embryologist William
Ballard stated that "only by semantic tricks and subjective selection of evidence"
and by "bending the facts of nature" could one claim that the earliest stages of
embryonic development are more similar than their adult forms
. 10 Richardson,
comparing the textbook drawings with actual embryos, stated in the renown
journal Science, "It looks like it's turning out to be one of the most famous fakes
in biology.
"
Such evidence did not dampen naturalistic spirits. At the 2000 conference,
Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education,
boldly proclaimed that no one would seriously question "that embryos are more
similar than the mature bodies
. "12 Little wonder, then, that although convinc-
ingly debunked, Haeckel-like drawings are everywhere
. Wells reviewed all his
textbooks, finding such drawings "all obviously wrong." Although naturalist
Gould wrote that we should "be astonished and ashamed by a century of mind-
less recycling that has led to the persistence of these drawings in a large number,
if not a majority, of modern textbooks," his scholarly hands were not clean.
Gould knew for decades that the drawings were false but remained silent, appar-
ently to protect the general theory of naturalism against formidable attack
-
It only begins with Haeckel. "My search revealed a startling fact, however,"
notes Wells. "Far from being exceptions, such blatant misrepresentations are
more often the rule." so common is this academic fraud that Wells called them
"Icons of Evolution."

Wells found many instances of fraud. In the 1950s, British physician Bernard
Kettlewell theorized that peppered moths had gone from light to dark color
over the past century to be camouflaged by darkened tree bark and hence spared
from being eaten by birds. In the 1980s, it was determined that peppered moths
do not rest on tree trunks, but rather they fly by night and hide in higher
branches during daylight hours
. Kettlewell had manufactured an artificial exper-
imental situation. Moreover, he "proved" his hypothesis by having photogra-
phers actually glue dark-colored dead moths to the bark of trees and shamelessly
presented the fabricated pictures as "Darwin's missing evidence."

Kettlewell —who to this day is regarded as having made a powerful score, as
his experiment is recounted in many introductory biology texts, often accom-
panied by photos of the moths on the tree trunks—has his defenders
. One aca-
demic administrator asserted, "You get a better picture if you glue the moth to
the tree."
Moreover, Canadian textbook author and apologist Bob Ritter
betrays the bias found in the politics of naturalism, arguing, "You have to look
at the [high school] audience. How convoluted do you want to make it for the
first-time learner? We want to get across the idea of selective adaptation. Later
on, they can look at the work critically."

Politics was also at work in the 1970s when Peter and Rosemary Grant found
that the beaks of finches in the Galapagos Islands increased in size by 5 percent
after a drought, assumedly because the beak Structures were strengthened by
having to crack hard seeds. This small finding was regaled in a 1999 booklet by
the United States National Academy Of Sciences as providing "a particularly
compelling example" of the origin of the species. Given that the change in size
occurred in a single year, the publication projected that "if droughts occur about
once every 10 years on the islands, a new species of finch might arise in only
about 200 years. "21
What the booklet did not report, however, was that the beaks returned to
pre-drought size after the rains came. "No net evolution occurred. "

Harvard biologist Louis Guenin was irate, believing that this suppression of
evidence verges on scientific misconduct
. Using the metaphor of the securities
industry, Guenin stated in a 1999 issue of Nature that were a stockbroker to
highlight a stock moving up 5 percent in a given year without telling the unsus-
pecting investor that that same stock dropped 5 percent the following year, he
could well be charged with fraud.

Other students of evolution have detected a centuries-old bias in the form of
an intellectually rigged system. "Science, real science ... has been co-opted by an
ancient philosophical/religious doctrine the origins of which can be traced back
to at least 400—700 years before Christ
. "24 These efforts to suppress "strong neg-
ative evidence ... are in gross violation of the scientific attitude
," says Finley.2S
Darwin was unbending on the critical matter of the origin of the human
race in The Descent of Man. "My object is to show that there is no fundamental
difference between man and the higher animals in their mental faculties," he
wrote.26 He extended this parallelism to religion, using a dog as an example. That
a dog tends to imagine some hidden dimension to items moved by the wind
was, to Darwin, similar to "the belief in the existence of one or more gods."27
Darwin's theory, however, lacked a missing link between humans and ani-
mals. Then in 1912, Charles Dawson uncovered what appeared to be the miss-
ing link—part Of a human skull and part of the lower jaw of an ape—in a gravel
pit in Piltdown, England. It wasn't until the 1950s that a group of scientists
determined that "the jaw had been chemically treated to make it look like a fos-
sil, and its teeth had been deliberately filed down to make them look human.
Piltdown Man was a forgery. "

Modern texts rarely mention this fraud. If anything, Darwinians use the
forged finding as illustrative of the self-correcting nature of science. This cor-
rection, however, took four decades.

In decrying the politics of naturalism, Wells reviewed ten popular high
school biology textbooks, eight by established publishers.
Similar to the Amer
ican Association for the Advancement of Science, he evaluated them on an
scale. An A signified that a "book had full disclosure of the truth, discussion of
relevant scientific controversies, and a recognition that Darwin's theories—like
all scientific theories—might have to be revised or discarded if it doesn't fit the
facts." An F "indicates the textbook uncritically relies on logical fallacy, dog-
matically treats a theory as an unquestionable fact, or blatantly misrepresents
published scientific evidence." Among the ten textbooks in question, none
received an A, B, or C. One rated a D+, and two a D -. The remaining eight were
accorded F's.

The cooked evidence is "good propaganda," Bethell points out. "So they
remain in the textbooks
, even though no reputable scientists would stand behind
them
, and our children are caught misinformation in the name of a 'higher truth,'
because ... as every educated person knows, evolution must be true."

Source
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I love this interview. And I love how this man (Fodor) kept steering and refocusing the conversation back to his bottom line. As you can see even in this thread, these conversations keep getting trolled and derailed because people are trying to distract from the bottom line every chance they get. Even when you tell them to stop distracting from your point, they still do it. You tell them ten times in a row to stop, they still do it in their next post. That tells you about the trolling and manipulation you're up against when you talk about this in public.

No diss to Suzan. She was just trying to do her job as a journalist and get the information out while the establishment was dragging her name through the mud for drawing attention to growing dissent towards natural selection as the answer to all evolution. So respect to her, too, for bringing attention to this. But I respect Fodor for not allowing himself to get distracted from his bottom line. Fodor understood how you debate these academic trolls and how you deny them ground to troll you. Under no circumstance do you allow anyone to distract you from your bottom line.

Jerry Fodor Held High Ground to Evolution’s Militant Fundamentalists
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jerry-fodor-held-high-ground-to-evolutions-militant_us_5a3ec86ae4b0d86c803c722f

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Jerry Fodor:

Here’s the evolutionary problem. You’ve got an organism of a certain kind—suppose you have a population of organisms—-and over time various heritable changes occur in this population. Their tails get longer, they get bushier eyebrows, whatever. The question is what is it that occasions such changes. In particular, is it roughly speaking environmental structure or internal structure. . . . Something changes the genome.

Jerry Fodor: Least of all does one care what the newspapers believe.

There are a couple of theories on the table. One of them says changes of inheritable properties are largely or exclusively—-depending on how rigid one’s views are—-the effect of exogeneous variables. The effect of selection. Who the predators are, whether there gets to be more or less food, etc. That’s one kind of view. That’s Darwin’s view.

Another kind of view is no, the effect is in some way we don’t understand—-endogenous variables, like laws of form, and stuff like that. . .

All I’m wanting to argue is that whatever the story turns out to be, it’s not going to be the selectionist story. There are internal problems, I think, with that, with the selectionist story.

I don’t really have a view, if I did it wouldn’t be an interesting view.

Jerry Fodor: True, you’re involving people. But the way to look at it is, here are the facts and here are the prior theories. What do we have to change to deal with the data. Who cares what people think.

There are things we’re not going to find out. The goal is to build a theory. Darwin has one. It’s been intact, as it were, for the last 50, 60 years of history. The question is—-is what he said true?

Suzan Mazur: Are you saying Darwin’s idea is creationist?

Jerry Fodor: Well, it’s not creationist in a certain sense that it’s a real theory. You can get form by starting with a random generator and biasing and filtering what’s out there. A lot of people have thought that’s how evolution works, a lot of people have also thought that’s how the formation of meaning works.

So, Darwin says, okay, how do we get there. Here’s a population with a certain phenotype. Look at it a hundred years later, a million years later, whatever, and there’s a difference in phenotypic properties in that population. How could this be true? What’s the mechanism that takes you from one to another? Answer, well, every organism varies its traits at random. And the environment comes along just like daddy and picks out some of those traits that it likes—-it likes the ones that can breathe under water—-and throws away the ones it doesn’t like. They die. And that’s how these variations in phenotypic properties of classes of organisms come about. That’s a theory.

It might be right, it might be wrong. But it’s perfectly straightforward. There’s no doubt that if you start with a random generator, of whatever, anything you like, numbers in a slot machine, you start with a random generator and you have a filter that picks out some of the things that it generates and throws away others, eventually you’ll converge on something with structure. Of course you will.

Jerry Fodor: I’m interested specifically in the question of whether the selectionist theory is true. Nothing else.

The question, however, is whether one can actually make sense of the notion of the environment selecting for traits as a feature. Darwin took it as obviously you could and actually there are ironies in every direction. I think the reason he took it as obvious that you could make sense of the notion of the environment selecting traits of features, the reason I’m saying he had no problem with that is that he had very explicitly in mind as a model for natural selection—-breeding. And in the case of breeding, that’s just what goes on.

The breeder says to himself, look I want fat fish not goldfish. So, they throw away the goldfish and they keep the fat fish and breed them with one another. So, Darwin says, explicitly, look natural selection is just like that. But there’s no breeder.

Well it’s not clear what the position is. The question you want to raise for Darwin is—-how does the thing work without a breeder? Because when there is a breeder in artificial selection, what he decides to do is crucial to what phenotype fits the individual.

Sometimes when I’m in a mildly bitter mood I think, look, the trouble with Darwin is he believes in Intelligent Design. He never really got it clear to himself that there really isn’t a designer in nature. So, it’s questionable whether you can take artificial selection as a model for natural selection the way he did. When you try to do that you can’t work it out.

Suzan Mazur: You think Darwin believed in Intelligent Design.

Jerry Fodor: I think, in a funny sense, he did. Intelligent Design people say there’s intelligence in choosing this process. But Darwin didn’t think that. What he thought was that the process of natural selection could be modeled on processes in which an intelligence—-

Darwin says in the first chapter of the Origin of Species—-it’s really a good book and he’s very smart. So, he says in the first chapter, look, let me tell you how breeding works. Features are produced at random, at random in the sense that some of their traits vary at random. So there are big pigs and smaller pigs and very small pigs and there are fat pigs and thin pigs, and so on. There’s just random variation from generation to generation. And the way selection works is the guy stands there, the farmer stands there and actually selects.

Suzan Mazur: The farmer is a tyrant to his pigs.

Jerry Fodor: Yes. Right. He says, throw away the little ones and keep the big ones.

So, there’s a model there. There’s variation in the genome, or whatever. There’s variation in the phenotypes. What matters is that the statistical distribution of properties, traits in a population, changes over time. Including heritable traits. It’s not a case of learning. So now the question is: How does it work? Darwin says it works just like artificial selection except there isn’t anyone selecting. Now it’s not at all clear what that means. . . .

This guy just doesn't understand the breeder is the conditions. The conditions are that the fruit are at a certain height. Randomly some individuals of a species are taller, some are shorter
The taller animals have more access to the fruit and the shorter ones doesn't, so the taller ones survive better, they pass on their tall traits and the shorter ones population goes down.
The selection is a product of the conditions of a given environment.
A drying period occurs in one region but another region becomes wetter. That is what "selects"

God changes the conditions in the enthronement and the animals just follow suit

People like Jerry Fodor are not compelling because they don't have a better explanation. They just want to make a name for themselves by taking potshots, looking for flaws in someone else's theory for the sake of doing so

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love this interview. And I love how this man (Fodor) kept steering and refocusing the conversation back to his bottom line. As you can see even in this thread, these conversations keep getting trolled and derailed because people are trying to distract from the bottom line every chance they get. Even when you tell them to stop distracting from your point, they still do it. You tell them ten times in a row to stop, they still do it in their next post. That tells you about the trolling and manipulation you're up against when you talk about this in public.

No diss to Suzan. She was just trying to do her job as a journalist and get the information out while the establishment was dragging her name through the mud for drawing attention to growing dissent towards natural selection as the answer to all evolution. So respect to her, too, for bringing attention to this. But I respect Fodor for not allowing himself to get distracted from his bottom line. Fodor understood how you debate these academic trolls and how you deny them ground to troll you. Under no circumstance do you allow anyone to distract you from your bottom line.

Jerry Fodor Held High Ground to Evolution’s Militant Fundamentalists
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jerry-fodor-held-high-ground-to-evolutions-militant_us_5a3ec86ae4b0d86c803c722f

Fodor seems to give "Evolutionists" a lot more credit than I do. Darwin was simply wrong and biologists hang on like a Pavlov's dog with a bone.

They don't see the cause of change in species even when it's right before them. They also don't see that it is consciousness which confers the ability to survive and not "fitness".

There is no outside intelligence or force in change in species. It largely random and driven by behavior.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sam p:
They also don't see that it is consciousness which confers the ability to survive and not "fitness".

There is no outside intelligence or force in change in species. It largely random and driven by behavior.

So species can transform from one to the other but it's internally driven by the consciousness of animals, their behavior.

Not an outside consciousness or force
an inside one

Swenet that's an interesting concept.

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
They also don't see that it is consciousness which confers the ability to survive and not "fitness".

So species can transform from one to the other but it's internally driven by the consciousness of animals, their behavior.

Not an outside consciousness or force
an inside one

Swenet that's an interesting concept.

Not exactly.

"Consciousness" is the driving source of survival but not change in species, or least it's not directly the driving force of change because there's rarely and "intent". All animals try to survive and don't really try to affect the nature of theior off spring other than through mate selection which is biologically driven but rarely with a conscious motivation to affect the nature of the species. A female (which is the selector in most species) can't see what effect would be likely anyway.

Rather it's consciousness that drives almost all behavior, or at least most gross behavior, and it is behavior that determines which individuals survive rather than fitness. Most change in species occurs when populations are extremely low because some common behavior was eradicated. If most of a species is nocturnal and an event at night kills all active members of the species then those that were sleeping instead are genetically different and will breed a new species.

"Consciousness" is a powerful force on the individual level but its effect on the species is less obvious and less direct. No doubt some changes are actually possible though intent though these are less measurable and would probably tend to be insignificant except in the very long term.

--------------------

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sam P:
Fodor seems to give "Evolutionists" a lot more credit than I do. Darwin was simply wrong and biologists hang on like a Pavlov's dog with a bone.

I agree. There is also the problem that Darwin seemingly lied and watered down his materialist beliefs publicly. It seems like he walked his beliefs back depending on who he was talking to. There is a discrepancy between his private notes and his correspondences and autobiography. I say that to say this. In the article there seem to be suggestions of Darwin not really being a Darwinist. But this seems to ignore that in his day, materialists weren't free to fully express themselves publicly (e.g. Darwin's wife was deeply religious). Based on this it seems shaky to give Darwin credit for not being as hardcore materialist as some of his modern followers. He might have just done that to soften the 'blow' of his theory. But some are trying to make it seem like this proves that Darwin was 'ahead of the curve'. That Darwin has been distorted by his followers and that you can somehow find Darwin's "true beliefs" by reading Darwin deeply [Roll Eyes] That seems like a very devotionalist and religious thing to say. I hope that is not what Lewontin meant.

quote:
They don't see the cause of change in species even when it's right before them. They also don't see that it is consciousness which confers the ability to survive and not "fitness".
Playing Devil's advocate here.

A Darwinist could say that behaviour as a driver of evolution is compatible with Darwinism as it (behaviour) is still determined at a deeper level by selective adaptation. So they could say the order of control you subscribe to, which is (correct me if I'm wrong):

consciousness → behaviour

They could say this picture is controlled at a still deeper level by selective adaptation:

selective adaptation → consciousness → behaviour

Thoughts?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
More examples of widespread academic fraud at the hands of Darwinists? See the bolded parts.

quote:
University of Missouri—educated biologist and physician Dr Carl
Werner and his science graduate wife, Debbie, have completed a huge
project of photographing fossil specimens in museums and comparing
them with photographs of modern-day animals. Their work has been
published as two 260-page illustrated works complete with high-quality
color photographs under the titles Evolution: the Grand Experiment, Volume
1, and Living Fossils — Evolution: The Grand Experiment, Volume 2. The
latter work provides prima-facie photographic evidence that, like the coel-
acanths, the fossil specimens of organisms that have survived through to
the present time are essentially unchanged — hence the title Living Fossils.
Their examples, photographs of fossils and museum displays of creatures
and plants found in the same strata as the dinosaurs, are presented along-
sidc photographs of their currently living counterparts and include brittle
stars, sea urchins, sea biscuits, starfish, sea cucumbers, crinoids, feather stars,
shrimp, lobsters, crayfish, crabs, horseshoe crabs, termite nests, dragon-
flies, katydids, water skaters, waterbugs, woodwasps, beetles, scorpionflies,
mayflies, crickets, cockroaches, scallops, clams, mussels, cockscomb oysters,
snails, nautiloids, elephant tusk shells, lamp shells, sea cradles, earthworms,
tube worms, sponges, corals, sturgeon fish, coelacanths, lungfish, garfish,
bowfin fish, eels, herring, orange roughy, angel sharks, rays, hagfish, sala-
manders, alligators, crocodiles, boa constrictor snakes, lizards, turtles, avocet
(a modern-day type bird found fossilized with a Tyrannosaurus rex and a
Triceratops dinosaur at Hell Creek, Montana), various mammals, Sequoia
seed cones, Cook pine cones, redwood branches, cycads, maidenhair tree
(ginkgo), ferns, horsetails, mosses, rhododendrons, lilies, sassafras, poplars,
and other trees and plants
The examples that Carl and Debbie Werner have collected arc not
exhaustive but rather serve to show that there are many examples of ani-
mals and plants that we know lived at the same time as the dinosaurs existed,
where the surviving species look the same as the fossils. That is, they show
no evolution. Dr. Werner also reports that between 100 million and 200
million fossils have been collected and are in museums worldwide. During
the course of his research and filming of the Evolution: The Great Experi-
ment video series, he has met with and interviewed many museum curators
and discussed the fossil evidence, much of which is not on display but in
museum storerooms. For example, many readers may not be aware of the
large number of mammal species found with dinosaurs. Paleontologists
have found more than 430 mammal species in the dinosaur fossil layers,
which show that these animals coexisted with the dinosaurs. However,

Dr. Werner reports that he did not see a single complete mammal skeleton
from the dinosaur layers on display in any of the 60 museums he visited.

He also reports that the dinosaur rock layers provided representative fossil
examples of all the major animal phyla living today, including birds, which
are supposed to have evolved from the dinosaurs
. They also provide fos-
sils from every major plant division living today. From his comprehensive
study of the fossils in museums, compared with living plants and animals, he
concludes that the fossil record does not provide the evidence that evo-
lution has occurred.

Why are modern Darwinists blatantly and deliberately dishonest about the fossil record?

quote:
I have discussed how the textbooks assert that the fossils provide direct
evidence for evolution and that popular science writers like Richard Dawkins
claim that there is abundant evidence from the fossils for evolution
. But
when we examine the actual evidence, we discover that the fossil evidence
for evolution is seriously lacking
. This lack of evidence has been recognized
by paleontologists for some time
. For example, the authoritative Harvard
University paleontologist Professor Stephen J. Gould conceded that there
was an absence of fossil evidence for the intermediary stages required for
the major evolutionary transitions
. He also admitted the uselessness of any-
thing short of completion in every stage of evolutionary development by
asking, ' 'Of what possible use to a reptile is 2 percent of a wing
. Other
shortcomings in the fossil evidence have been pointed out by the eminent
Ilarvard University—educated paleontologist Barbara J Stahl
I have discussed how Dr. David M. Raup, curator of geology at the
Field Museum of Natural Ilistory in Chicago and past president of the
Palaeontological Society, points out that geologists do nor actually find evi-
dence for evolution in the fossil record
. Dr. Ariel A. Roth, who served as
the editor for the journal Origins for more than 20 years, writes in the con-
clusion of his extensively footnoted 380-page book on the evidence for our
origins, "It surprises me that the concept of evolution persists in view of
the paucity of firm evidence to support it.
"'
This knowledge of the major shortcomings of the so-called evidence
for evolution is not being taught to biology students nor made widely
known to the general public.
In fact, the standard reference textbooks for
biology and evolution continue to omit any in-depth discussion of these
major objections to the theory
. Ilarvard University professor Stephen J.
Gould also points out that the evolutionary trees that adorn our textbooks
are based mainly on inference, not on the evidence of fossils
"

Source
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Doug, if you have to ask me to name Darwinists, you obviously didn't watch the lecture. Why lie? You have not watched the lecture and all your posts show it.

And you post articles that answer questions you've been asking over several thread pages. You obviously don't even read your own articles. Here it is, from your own article:

quote:

quote:
While the word Darwinism is not used in this quote, it does talk about popular evolutionism. This is the same thing I've been talking about. Doug posts this article, then keeps asking me to substantiate the distinction, even though it's in is his article.

The problem with you, Doug, is that you are simply clueless about ongoing conversations and debates, which extends even to the articles you post. You are also in denial and indoctrinated, criticizing what you call "rationalism" not realizing you're knee-deep in it yourself. It shows in your line of questioning and inability to comprehend my arguments. It shows in your posting of articles that say the same thing you see wrong in my posts. It is not my responsibility to inform you about the ongoing conversations that are taking place and how the disagreements are structured. When I post, my audience is people who intend to research and verify/falsify or people who have already done research and who can hold an intelligent debate without getting confused over widely used words.

Stop wasting my time and your own time. You're obviously not going to read/comprehend anything (not even your own sources), so what is the point in asking me to substantiate something?

=============

I also reject all claims attributed to me in this thread from now on unless there is a quote showing I said it. If people are attributing something to me and it sounds absurd and there is no quote, it's deliberate. They're lying.

Don't you see that is why I posted the article in the first place? How are you claiming I missed something when I posted it in the first place? You keep making the point that these people in "mainstream" science are blind followers of Darwin. I say they aren't and that even Darwin himself understood the flaws in his own theories, not to mention many other "mainstream" scientists, yet you then turn around and claim that the articles I posted which say the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you are claiming prove you right.

That is just ridiculous. You are misrepresenting everything about the history of science on this issue.

When I say the history of science, I mean the history of ideas. You keep trying to pigeonhole ideas into one camp or another and not admitting there are many people with many ideas and everybody isn't a blind follower of individual theories and ideologies. YOU aren't unique in questioning Darwin is my point. Many people have done it and continue to do it which is why modern science is not simply a blind cult of Darwinists.

Yes, there are some folks who can be called "Darwinists" but to say they represent "mainstream" science is false. They don't. They represent themselves.

That is why you can't name them because you know there is no such cabal of "Darwinists" who represent mainstream science on evolution. And certainly they don't have the ability to stop people from debating or critiquing darwinism within "mainstream" science. All these articles and debates on Darwinism are from with "mainstream" science is the point. Therefore you can't claim otherwise. The scientific process revolves around ideas and people reviewing, critiquing and debating ideas as they are published. Therefore "mainstream" science has been debating and critiquing and analyzing "darwinian evolution" since Darwin himself first published his ideas. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

Therefore, like I said before, many of these ideas you claim are "new" or "outside" mainstream science are actually not new or outside mainstream science at all.

At the end of the day most of the debates over evolution boil down to a debate over religion vs science, where some people believe that science cannot answer it all and that life came from "god". While science is firmly on the trail of looking for tangible facts and evidence to explain the processes at work in the universe without relying on myths, fables or religious ideology.

That is all this boils down to and I said this a few pages ago.

On the scientific side, most people, including Darwin, understand full well that the issues related to evolution go back to the cambrian explosion and the fact that most major phyla of animals appeared at that time. And modern "mainstream" science is trying to understand how this happened. The two biggest scientific puzzles in evolution is the origin of the major animal phyla and the origin of single cell organisms with contained nuclei and genomes. That is where most evolutionary research is taking place today.

quote:

This research will bring little cheer to contemporary creationists who, following a long and storied tradition, misuse the Cambrian explosion to attack evolution. Their most common line is that the leap of evolution during the Cambrian involved too many changes too quickly, that the Cambrian therefore represents a gap in the fossil record best filled by a supernatural explanation. For example, Henry Morris, the founder of the Institute for Creation Research, wrote in his 1974 book Scientific Creationism:

There is obviously a tremendous gap between one-celled microorganisms and the high complexity and variety of the many invertebrate phyla of the Cambrian. If the former evolved into the latter, it seems impossible that no transitional forms between any of them would ever be preserved or found. A much more likely explanation for these gaps is that they represent permanent gaps between created kinds. Each organism has its own structure, specifically designed for its own purpose, not accidentally evolved by random processes.

Following a string of legal defeats for the openly religious brand of creationism espoused by Morris, creationists used this concept of “specifically designed” organisms as a component of intelligent design creationism (IDC). IDC became a safe front for creationists to espouse scientific terminology while repeating religiously-motivated attacks on evolution.

Creationist rhetoric has changed, but their indignation toward the Cambrian explosion is the same. Phillip Johnson, one of the founders of IDC, wrote in his 1991 book Darwin on Trial:

The single greatest problem which the fossil record poses for Darwinism is the ‘Cambrian Explosion’ of around 600 million years ago. Nearly all the animal phyla appear in the rocks of this period, without a trace of the evolutionary ancestors that Darwinists require.

Morris and Johnson are both wrong about the science, of course, but that hasn’t stopped their flimsy claims from being endlessly reiterated.

Why are creationists so obsessed with this aspect of paleontology, and not, say, the fascinating fossil record of sloths? What special appeal does the Cambrian explosion have for them?

In the “sudden appearance” of organisms during the geologically brief Cambrian explosion, creationists imagine tangible evidence for the supernatural creation of animal “kinds.” To their eyes, these rocks record the moment of creation when Yahweh declared: “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds.” They point to Precambrian rocks with their lack of fossilized hard parts, then point to Cambrian layers with their copious fossils and say, “See! Right there: creation.” The story is not so simple, of course; we now know a lot more about life in the period before the Cambrian. The ancient lineages that eventually diversified extend far back in time, a long fuse leading to the eventual explosion.

While the rapid evolution during the Cambrian is described as geologically brief, it is important to define what that means. On human timescales, the shortest estimation for the length of the Cambrian explosion, about 10 million years, is incomprehensibly long. Moreover, the tiny Cambrian arthropods likely had much faster maturations and much shorter lifespans than humans. Our anthropocentric perception of the flow of time, in which a family might have only three or four generations per century, is very different from the number of generations Cambrian critters produced. Ten million years provides plentiful time, as Lee et al. showed. Yet creationists insist that there was not enough time for such biological complexity to arise, without ever defining why that time frame is insufficient.

Creationists will no doubt continue to pontificate about the Cambrian explosion. They create among their followers the illusion that they are remedying some deficiency in science, when in fact they contribute nothing to scientific discourse or peer-reviewed research. When actual scientific research, such as Lee et al., contradicts their unique interpretations, this gives them no pause. Their Cambrian dilemma is not about rates of evolution, but about how to hijack real science in the service of dogma.

https://ncse.com/blog/2013/10/darwin-s-dilemma-was-cambrian-explosion-too-fast-evolution-0015109
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
You keep changing your arguments to artificially justify your reason to keep coming back in a thread where your arguments are either irrelevant, off topic or strawman attacks. You're just like lioness in this regard. No wonder she keeps trying to cheerlead you. There is no reason for either of you to be in this thread. You're just conversational shadowboxing and adding to confusion.

I summarized my points several times. You are clearly incapable of having an on topic debate. Your first couple of posts are on topic, then it's all downhill from there with your replies being all over the place, misrepresenting what people are saying. You don't even know what this conversation is about. Look here at an example of how derailed you are:

You keep making the point that these people in "mainstream" science are blind followers of Darwin.
--Doug M

I never said that mainstream scientists are blind followers of Darwin [Confused] I said that mainstream science operates in the Newtonian worldview. There is a minority of non-Darwinian evolutionist thought in mainstream science, but they're still operating in the Newtonian worldview and therefore not worth differentiating in terms of worldview. I just posted an example of such non-Darwinian evolutionist thought when I posted Suzan's interview with Fodor. You're definitely trolling at this point, trying to justify posting here after stumbling over basic terms. You embarrassed yourself back there, just cut your losses and keep it moving. Don't try keep coming back with some new non sense as if you've been arguing it all along. No Doug. You're super see-through at this point. Every reply is just a desperate attempt to justify your presence in a debate no one is having.

Just cut your losses and go talk about the dangers of the word Nubia. This conversation is not for you.

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]

A Darwinist could say that behaviour as a driver of evolution is compatible with Darwinism as it (behaviour) is still determined at a deeper level by selective adaptation. So they could say the order of control you subscribe to, which is (correct me if I'm wrong):

consciousness → behaviour

They could say this picture is controlled at a still deeper level by selective adaptation:

selective adaptation → consciousness → behaviour

Thoughts?

At the risk of sounding like a Darwinist here; yes.

Behavior is largely controlled through consciousness by the genes. But the specific genes in an individual are largely determined by chance and the behavior and consciousness of his ancestors. Diversity in the gene pool is largely the result of localized population bottlenecks which are the result of behavior, chance, and consciousness. When a local population changes it will still usually be able to interbreed with others of the parent species and their genes will be added to the gene pool.

All animals are fit and adaptive or they wouldn't reproduce. Of course this doesn't apply to humans to the same degree it once did.

Behavior is individual and based on individual consciousness. It is not pre-determined in any way. A bird has as much choice in its route as a human. But just like a human considerations about the best food source and access to water and amenities will affect the specific choice. If you like cherries then you naturally drive past the cherry stand. But your taste for cherries is innate and largely driven by genes.

Behavior is driven by consciousness expressed as free will with genes at its roots.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Let's get beyond Newtonian Worldview and what is "mainstream" and what is not, what is "mainstream" is very subjective anyway

according to the website Principa Cybernetica

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/NEWTONWV.html

Newtonian Worldview

based in reductionism, determinism, materialism,

We can all agree this is what the Newtonian worldview is

This thread is about Darwin however. If you are going to disagree with Darwinism you might still believe in some type of evolution, that one species can transform into another by some process perhaps other than natural selection

However you could also disagree with Darwin and not believe in evolution, not believe that one species transform into another.
This latter view is Swenet's view.

So his argument is actually bigger than Darwin. It's that evolution in general is a false theory.

Swenet stop wasting everybody's time. If your problem is with evolution itself then say so and stop making this about hating particular historical people

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
At the risk of sounding like a Darwinist here; yes.

Behavior is largely controlled through consciousness by the genes. But the specific genes in an individual are largely determined by chance and the behavior and consciousness of his ancestors. Diversity in the gene pool is largely the result of localized population bottlenecks which are the result of behavior, chance, and consciousness. When a local population changes it will still usually be able to interbreed with others of the parent species and their genes will be added to the gene pool.

All animals are fit and adaptive or they wouldn't reproduce. Of course this doesn't apply to humans to the same degree it once did.

Behavior is individual and based on individual consciousness. It is not pre-determined in any way. A bird has as much choice in its route as a human. But just like a human considerations about the best food source and access to water and amenities will affect the specific choice. If you like cherries then you naturally drive past the cherry stand. But your taste for cherries is innate and largely driven by genes.

Behavior is driven by consciousness expressed as free will with genes at its roots. [/qb]

Thanks for clarifying. The priority you give to behaviour sounds like you have epigenetics as important in evolution. Which I agree with.

Here is a short discussion on how epigenetics relates to Darwinism, for those who are interested (also for my own amusement: as you may have noticed, I love posting examples of Darwinists in damage control mode):

quote:
Epigenetics May Become "Evolution Heresy"

Neo-Darwinism relies on mutation and selection, but selection of what? Epigenetics is confusing the target of selection, raising fears of neo-Lamarckism.

https://evolutionnews.org/2013/09/epigenetics_may/

quote:
In Lamarck’s view, the evolution of life depends on variation and the accumulation of small, gradual changes. These are also at the center of Darwin’s theory of evolution, yet Darwin wrote that Lamarck’s ideas were “veritable rubbish.” Darwinian evolution is driven by genetic variation combined with natural selection—the process whereby some variations give their bearers better reproductive success in a given environment than other organisms have. Lamarckian evolution, on the other hand, depends on the inheritance of acquired characteristics. Giraffes, for example, got their long necks by stretching to eat leaves from tall trees, and stretched necks were inherited by their offspring, though Lamarck did not explain how this might be possible.

What is the significance of these findings? Until the mid-1970s, no one suspected that the way in which the DNA was “read” could be altered by environmental factors, or that the nervous systems of people who grew up in stress-free environments would develop differently from those of people who did not. One’s development, it was thought, was guided only by one’s genetic makeup. As a result of epigenesis, a child deprived of nourishment may continue to crave and consume large amounts of food as an adult, even when he or she is being properly nourished, leading to obesity and diabetes. A child who loses a parent or is neglected or abused may have a genetic basis for experiencing anxiety and depression and possibly schizophrenia. Formerly, ]it had been widely believed that Darwinian evolutionary mechanisms—variation and natural selection—were the only means for introducing such long-lasting changes in brain function, a process that took place over generations. We now know that epigenetic mechanisms can do so as well, within the lifetime of a single person

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/06/07/epigenetics-the-evolution-revolution/
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
You keep changing your arguments to artificially justify your reason to keep coming back in a thread where your arguments are either irrelevant, off topic or strawman attacks. You're just like lioness in this regard. No wonder she keeps trying to cheerlead you. There is no reason for either of you to be in this thread. You're just conversational shadowboxing and adding to confusion.

I summarized my points several times. You are clearly incapable of having an on topic debate. Your first couple of posts are on topic, then it's all downhill from there with your replies being all over the place, misrepresenting what people are saying. You don't even know what this conversation is about. Look here at an example of how derailed you are:

You keep making the point that these people in "mainstream" science are blind followers of Darwin.
--Doug M

I never said that mainstream scientists are blind followers of Darwin [Confused] I said that mainstream science operates in the Newtonian worldview. There is a minority of non-Darwinian evolutionist thought in mainstream science, but they're still operating in the Newtonian worldview and therefore not worth differentiating in terms of worldview. I just posted an example of such non-Darwinian evolutionist thought when I posted Suzan's interview with Fodor. You're definitely trolling at this point, trying to justify posting here after stumbling over basic terms. You embarrassed yourself back there, just cut your losses and keep it moving. Don't try keep coming back with some new non sense as if you've been arguing it all along. No Doug. You're super see-through at this point. Every reply is just a desperate attempt to justify your presence in a debate no one is having.

Just cut your losses and go talk about the dangers of the word Nubia. This conversation is not for you.

OK. Replace Newton with Darwin. Its the same point. But of course you will claim that Quantum Science is not mainstream science.... Right.

Like I said, modern evolutionary science is focused on specific issues that I already mentioned. All this other nonsense talk is from non biologists and other folks pushing agendas not talking actual science.

So until you can show men how science trying to understand the genesis of single cell organisms is "newtonian", your point makes no sense. Quantum theory is not going to explain how single cell organisms came to be or how the animal phyla were created. Calling basic science in evolution, including genetics, "newtonian" is just a strawman. There is no such thing as 'newtonian' genetics. Or "newtonian" biology. That is simply absurd.

Actual evolutionary science:
quote:

Vertebrates evolved in the Cambrian Period before 520 million years ago, but we do not know when or how consciousness arose in the history of the vertebrate brain. Here we propose multiple levels of isomorphic or somatotopic neural representations as an objective marker for sensory consciousness. All extant vertebrates have these, so we deduce that consciousness extends back to the group's origin. The first conscious sense may have been vision. Then vision, coupled with additional sensory systems derived from ectodermal placodes and neural crest, transformed primitive reflexive systems into image forming brains that map and perceive the external world and the body's interior. We posit that the minimum requirement for sensory consciousness and qualia is a brain including a forebrain (but not necessarily a developed cerebral cortex/pallium), midbrain, and hindbrain. This brain must also have (1) hierarchical systems of intercommunicating, isomorphically organized, processing nuclei that extensively integrate the different senses into representations that emerge in upper levels of the neural hierarchy; and (2) a widespread reticular formation that integrates the sensory inputs and contributes to attention, awareness, and neural synchronization. We propose a two-step evolutionary history, in which the optic tectum was the original center of multi-sensory conscious perception (as in fish and amphibians: step 1), followed by a gradual shift of this center to the dorsal pallium or its cerebral cortex (in mammals, reptiles, birds: step 2). We address objections to the hypothesis and call for more studies of fish and amphibians. In our view, the lamprey has all the neural requisites and is likely the simplest extant vertebrate with sensory consciousness and qualia. Genes that pattern the proposed elements of consciousness (isomorphism, neural crest, placodes) have been identified in all vertebrates. Thus, consciousness is in the genes, some of which are already known.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790330/

But yes there are issues within the scientific community and most of it has to do with the arrogance that somehow man is going to understand everything in existence and come up with singular theories and equations to explain it all. That is impossible. Quantum science, the Cambrian and other things shows us that there is a lot that humans may never be able to understand no matter how advanced science gets. And it is this degree of materialist absolutism (ie. Newtonian materialism) is very much part of the problem. But I wouldn't put it in the way you are putting it, as in meaning science has no ultimate validity in explaining processes at work in nature and that "other forces" are at play which are outside science.

Either way it is these battles over competing absolutist ideologies that are the problem in my opinion, not the general process of learning and science itself.

quote:

Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions. According to this doctrine the material creates and determines consciousness, not vice versa. Materialists consider that Matter and the physical laws that govern it constitute the most reliable guide to the nature of mind and consciousness.

Materialism contradicts with Idealism which considers mind and consciousness are first-order realities to which matter is subject and secondary. In philosophical materialism the converse is true: mind and consciousness are by-products or epiphenomena of material processes (the biochemistry of the human brain and nervous system, for example) without which they cannot exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^
The evolutionary and genetic origins of consciousness in the Cambrian Period over 500 million years ago

Todd E. Feinberg1,* and Jon Mallatt2

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
OK. Replace Newton with Darwin. Its the same point. But of course you will claim that Quantum Science is not mainstream science.... Right.

I fail to see how you jump from your derailed comment about Darwin to quantum physics. But I have already claimed that quantum physics is not mainstream science. And I have backed it up. What relevant quotes have you posted? Quantum science is not mainstream science. This was already explained to you several times, thread pages ago.

quote:
quote:
The Copenhagen interpretation was recently summarized as “Shut up and calculate!” That’s blunt, but not completely unfair. It is, in fact, the right injunction for most physicists most of the time. The Copenhagen interpretation is the best way to deal with quantum mechanics for all practical purposes. It assures us that in our labs or at our desks we can use quantum mechanics without needless worrying about what’s really going on. Copenhagen shows us that quantum mechanics is a fully consistent theory and sufficient as a guide to the physical phenomena around us. Good!

They are not updating mainstream science with the full implications of quantum physics on any meaningful scale. They are just using it for things like electronics and then dropping it off at the lab when they go home.

And I notice again, that you don't seem to understand what the conversations are about. What on earth is "sensory conciousness"? That is not the consciousness that people are talking about when they are talking about the hard problem of consciousness. You show a persistent lack of understanding what people are talking about. So on what basis are you trying to insist to people they have flaws in their argument?

quote:
So until you can show men how science trying to understand the genesis of single cell organisms is "newtonian", your point makes no sense. Quantum theory is not going to explain how single cell organisms came to be or how the animal phyla were created. Calling basic science in evolution, including genetics, "newtonian" is just a strawman. There is no such thing as 'newtonian' genetics. Or "newtonian" biology. That is simply absurd.
The argument was that the Newtonian worldview Darwinism is based on is dead. Life does not originate from chemicals as life forms can't be reduced to chemicals. That was the argument you have yet to address after thread pages of persistent trolling. And you're still not addressing it.

How do we get double slit experiment results from bodies of molecules and chemical reactions that exist outside the laws of nature? Can we replicate the double slit experiment's results by making robot dummies that look like humans? By letting chemicals react nearby? By using dummies consisting of any other Newtonian materials? I want some answers. Let's see if you can deliver.

Don't run from these questions, then give me some opinionated rhetoric about quantum physics not explaining cells. Either address the point or you're not competent to have this conversation.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Doug's talking about the consciousness of primitive fish and Swenet is talking about the consciousness on an intelligent being directing creation.

That's what people get for ignoring me. At least I understand what the opposing sides are talking about

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
And notice how Doug and lioness keep colluding by tag teaming on the same dumb arguments. Doug tries to act like he's ignoring her, but whenever lioness makes a super dumb argument, Doug says something similar. smh.

Doug thinks people don't see how his arguments keep changing in real-time after people post things. At the beginning and end of a debate, Doug's positions will change many times, but he never acknowledges it. If your positions keep changing in real-time in response to what others are saying, we know you're just making it up as you go along.

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]Thanks for clarifying. The priority you give to behaviour sounds like you have epigenetics as important in evolution. Which I agree with.

Yes, I do believe that epigenetics is real and important in species change.

But behavior has a very direct role in major changes because it is often the primary determining factor in whether an individual survives a population bottleneck. Most species change appears to occur when a large percentage of a population is killed. This can be random but very frequently some specific behavior will be shared either by the survivors or those which died.

There are several major causes but Darwinian Evolution is probably the least important in almost all changes. Bottlenecks, mutation, epigenetics, and mate selection are more important and consciousness is an important factor in all of these. Indeed, consciousness will also aid individuals when it is only a matter of speed, strength, or stamina.

Any theory of species change that doesn't account for the primary way by which an individual survives can't reflect reality. Darwinism doesn't even have a cart before the horse and wants us all to jump on.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
And notice how Doug and lioness keep colluding by using the same dumb arguments. Doug tries to act like he's ignoring her, but whenever lioness makes a super dumb argument, Doug says something similar. smh. Doug thinks people don't see how his arguments keep changing after people post things. At the beginning and end of a thread, Doug's positions have changed many times, but he never acknowledges it.

I disagree, I established in earlier pages that you are not talking about the consciousness of animals but instead the higher consciousness that created everything but Doug just linked

The evolutionary and genetic origins of consciousness in the Cambrian Period over 500 million years ago

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790330/

which talks about consciousness in the context of it first appearing in early vertebrates. Also I just posted not to get caught up in this stuff about what is mainstream or not
that we are really dealing with is if someone believes in evolution of any type

but he's ignoring me and you even said he does that earlier

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Thanks for clarifying. The priority you give to behaviour sounds like you have epigenetics as important in evolution. Which I agree with.

Yes, I do believe that epigenetics is real and important in species change.

But behavior has a very direct role in major changes because it is often the primary determining factor in whether an individual survives a population bottleneck. Most species change appears to occur when a large percentage of a population is killed. This can be random but very frequently some specific behavior will be shared either by the survivors or those which died.

There are several major causes but Darwinian Evolution is probably the least important in almost all changes. Bottlenecks, mutation, epigenetics, and mate selection are more important and consciousness is an important factor in all of these. Indeed, consciousness will also aid individuals when it is only a matter of speed, strength, or stamina.

Any theory of species change that doesn't account for the primary way by which an individual survives can't reflect reality. Darwinism doesn't even have a cart before the horse and wants us all to jump on.

Do simple creatures evolve into more complex ones?
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:

I'm glad you finally came out the closet and said this. I now have it on record. Look at how Doug has a habit of blatantly going against facts that are simply not debatable.

What do science writers have to say about Doug's opinionated denial?

So for now we will just summarize by
other branches Of science
. Newton's approach — of looking for precisely specifiable
laws governing the behavior of whatever it was the particular science was investi-
phenomena.
Although there were still a few defenders Of vitalism even into
correct.

Notice how this science writer claims in the last sentence that mainstream science collectively agreed that the Newtonian view was correct. But somehow Doug is coming to their defense to deny something they're admitting freely. I mean, how much of a clueless ideologue can you possibly be? Doug is trying to defend people who proudly admit my description of them is accurate.

Only on Egyptsearch.

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
Do simple creatures evolve into more complex ones? [/QB]
I don't really know anything but it seems rather apparent simplicity can come from complexity and vice versa. It seems apparent the first life forms (I don't belief life originated on earth) were simpler and organisms have evolved in a sort of "random walk" with current life forms (at least on earth) being mostly more complex than the earliest ones.

An oak tree has surprisingly similar DNA to a man which implies not only that life is exceedingly old but that an oak tree is "over programmed" for its function. ie- an oak tree arose from a far more complex life form.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

An oak tree has surprisingly similar DNA to a man which implies not only that life is exceedingly old

Why would an oak tree having surprisingly similar DNA to a man which imply that life is exceedingly old?
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I'm glad you finally came out the closet and said this. I now have it on record. Look at how Doug has a habit of blatantly going against facts that are simply not debatable.

What do science writers have to say about Doug's opinionated denial?

So for now we will just summarize by
other branches Of science
. Newton's approach — of looking for precisely specifiable
phenomena.
Although there were still a few defenders Of vitalism even into
correct.

Notice how this science writer claims in the last sentence that mainstream science collectively agreed that the Newtonian view was correct. But somehow Doug is coming to their defense to deny something they're admitting freely. I mean, how much of a clueless ideologue can you possibly be? Doug is trying to defend people who proudly admit my description of them is accurate.

Only on Egyptsearch.

You missed the point. Newtonian is used to describe theories and approaches within physics not genetics. There is nothing inherently "newtonian" about genetics. The models and methods used are not based on Newtons physics models of the universe. Overall as I mentioned in my previous post, "Newtonian" not only refers to applied physics and models of the universe based on physics models, but also to a "materialist" point of view concerning the nature of the universe. I already pointed that out. In the latter form, "newtonian" applies to any form of science that tries to find the ultimate source of all physical phenomena within material science. So only in that sense can genetics be considered as "newtonian" in a general sense, as in searching for a purely material origin of life on earth.

Outside of that, genetics is not based on any models of newtonian physics. That is just inherently false. Meaning people using genetics to study the history of life on earth are not doing so to push a "newtonian" model of the universe. That is what I am pointing out and this is where you keep injecting "conspiracy theories" about a "newtonian" or "darwinian" cabal that is controlling science and forcing science to use certain means and methods to understand the history and origin of life on earth which is absurd. That is blatant nonsense. Obviously you believe that the origin of life lay outside the "material" universe and this is why you keep railing against "newtonian" science and Darwinism, because in your view "science" as in "materialist science" is never going to find the answers in a purely materialist model of the universe. I get it. But scientists trying to find the origins of life are not necessarily "materialists" or even "darwinists" in trying to find the origin of life within the physical sciences (or as you call it natural science or nature). We live in a material universe. Quantum physics doesn't change the fact I have a material body affected by other physical forces in nature. So science will always be a viable mechanism to understand material phenomena in the physical universe. That is the point I am making. And doing so does not mean that everybody is running around trying to be blind followers of some cabal of "newtonians" or "darwinists".

I already pointed out what the issue is about. You are just making absurd rhetorical arguments.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com