EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo protests (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  45  46  47   
Author Topic: Cairo protests
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
I had heard Tony Blair was leaning towards "stability" and not so much in favor of the pro-democracy protesters.

What is the view among Brits right now?

That is, brits in Britain that don't have such a person stake in the protests?

[Big Grin]

They think it's bloody awful what happened to the mummies. We would have been happy to take safe care of them in the British Museum [Wink]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Well Tony Bliar would - 1 million of us marched in Central London against the invasion of Iraq and he totally bloody well ignored us and did it anyway. But let's not derail the thread.
Off to bed before my head explodes.

I am just wondering what Brits thought of all this in the UK due to the kind of reporting coming out of the BBC.

For a couple days there, Tuesday and Wednesday it sounded like the 700 club had taken over.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whose the 700 club?
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
I had heard Tony Blair was leaning towards "stability" and not so much in favor of the pro-democracy protesters.

What is the view among Brits right now?

That is, brits in Britain that don't have such a person stake in the protests?

[Big Grin]

They think it's bloody awful what happened to the mummies. We would have been happy to take safe care of them in the British Museum [Wink]

[Big Grin]

LondonToCairo Sam Welbeck
Please excuse me I must go offline - please keep RT my last tweets - I'm going offline for a reason - please RT my last tweets

http://twitter.com/#!/LondonToCairo

edit, smiley was for Monkey's post, not Sam's.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Brits have tutted loudly - quite a rebuke [Wink]
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
I think the Brits have tutted loudly - quite a rebuke [Wink]

[Big Grin]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whose the 700 club?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/700_club

Its the news channel that has tempered the views of in regards to Americans as all being from the bible belt.

My grandmother would blare the 700 Club on Sunday morning to punish my grandfather for his activities on Saturday night. My grandfather could drink an entire case of beer in a sitting, and was a staunch liberal and quite agnostic.

It would make him crazy, and he'd leave the house for the weekend.

Google "Tammy Fay Baker" the images tab for a revolting laugh.

Pat Robertson was always going on about the Middle East and how Arabs must be purged from the Middle East so Jews could reclaim "God's Kingdom" and thus break about the Apocalypse and the seconding coming of Jesus. You might want to google a video on it, because Pat Robertson also gave these speeches with a hardon. Later Pat Robertson was ousted for "adultry" and begged his followers for forgiveness.

The nation was just shocked he was porking a woman and not a man. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this tweet on London to cairos wall and didn't know what she meant so I went to her wall. It has her and a group of others say tahair is peaceful all is good but then if you follow each of their pages they turn out to be pro Mubarak supporters. It's funny how anti are terrified sending out messages of warning when pro are saying it's Peaceful

I don't know if it's scaremongering or spiders pulling flies into the web

LondonToCairo RT @sophie_tolba: @sophie_tolba @LondonToCairo i shall ivestigate the matter and report back - how can you do that? Who are you?
30 minutes ago

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Seriously though, here in the UK general conscensus seems to hinge on what is said by the BBC. It seems to be taken as gospel. Initially Brits were on the side of the protestors, because the BBC were, but there is a complete turnaround with them now after Mubarak's last interview.

They're banging on now about the Muslim Brotherhood. Mubarak is sharp - this has got them spooked.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Seriously though, here in the UK general conscensus seems to hinge on what is said by the BBC. It seems to be taken as gospel. Initially they were on the side of the people, because the BBC were, but there is a complete turnaround with them now after Mubarak's last interview.

They're banging on now about the Muslim Brotherhood. Mubarak is still sharp - this has got them spooked.

Exactly and thats why I am really concerned about the reporting of the protests by the BBC.

What the western leaders are concerned about, mainly, is a new Egypt government scraping the Camp David Accords.

Carter might've characterized himself as a democrat, but in reality he's a dixiecrat. Dixcrats staunchly side with the Zionist agenda. This biblical view of Israel affected how Carter pushed the Camp David Accord in the direction of Zionist, Christian and Jewish Zionist alike.

Sadat sold Palestines future and Arab unity for the price of a few helicopters and hollywood friends. then he was shot.

This does play into how western nations foreign policy will support or intervene to install another puppet at the Presidential Palace.

Which is why the BBC is trying to raly support for a Zionist view of the demonstrations.

Thats why I was pissed at the BBC.

Screw the Camp David Accords, support what is the will of the Egyptian people.

The assumption is that the MB will tear apart the Camp David Accords or disregard it. Problem with this concept is, the assumption is no Mubarak means only the MB will take over at the Presidential Palace.

thats not necessarily the case. This is fear mongering much in the same manner the NDP is using state television to spread false reports in favor of the police thugs.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Question Time tonight and Claire Short had it sussed but the woman from the Daily Mail was doing all the scare tactics about Muslim extremists blah blah [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Good old Daily Mail [Roll Eyes]

Where's Moanin Minnie and Penny?

BBC live coverage has stopped now.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

AJE is reporting was quiet overnight.

Haven't spoken to MoNing or Penny but they are in Alex and I have heard that things are a bit tougher up there. BUT I don't know.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I'm disgusted at BBC and co using the Muslim Brotherhood as a scare tactic if that is what they are doing. My dad was going on about BBC last night on the phone over my mum's shoulder but I said I get BBC World not regular BBC. He didn't say why he wanted me to watch it but it was probably that. It does spook people.

Like it or not, in a true democracy people can vote for 'the wrong party' and that is what concerns certain governments.

No more shall I say.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
I'm disgusted at BBC and co using the Muslim Brotherhood as a scare tactic if that is what they are doing. My dad was going on about BBC last night on the phone over my mum's shoulder but I said I get BBC World not regular BBC. He didn't say why he wanted me to watch it but it was probably that. It does spook people.

Like it or not, in a true democracy people can vote for 'the wrong party' and that is what concerns certain governments.

No more shall I say.

Two points:

1. The Egyptian people really hasn't had free and fair elections before. Why not give them just an opportunity to vote in an election that isn't rigged?

Why deprive Egypt of democracy?

How many nations freed from dictators, have an actual free election and it gets worse? I can't think of one.

2. The BBC is trying so hard to filter out information that might paint a more sympathetic picture of the demonstrators.

This is the BBC is illustrating:

http://www.oil-paintings.com/html/delac05.html

Its obvious that the BBC has no other concern other than Israel and the Camp David Accords in its focus.

Crimedy even CNN is doing a better job of being impartial.

Very bad week for BBC to stoop to that level!

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I have been really impressed with their reporting up until now. But I'm looking now - the live stream is back on but it's all reruns from last night. It may be they just don't have anyone in Tahrir Square anymore to keep it current.

I don't think Mr McCain's speech was particularly smart. Americans stamping their feet and saying you're not allowed to be led by the MB isn't going to help. I don't think it's a great idea. Shariah law combined with the amount of corruption (it isn't going to disappear overnight) is a scary prospect. Banging on about how Shariah law is a terrible thing in itself when you're addressing Muslims is downright stupid, however. He just reiterated that they need democracy, so long as they choose whoever America likes.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diplomatic Van Runs Over Crowd Of People:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQVJOBvG6c

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

AJE showing live footage from Tahrir now.
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captured on camera, the sickening moment a police van ploughed through the crowd in Cairo:

This is the sickening moment a police van ploughed through a crowd of innocent bystanders in a Cairo street.

Several people are run down by the van while countless others dive for cover as the vehicle drove through the crowd without slowing down.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353501/Egypt-protests-Moment-police-van-ploughed-innocent-crowd-Cairo.html#ixzz1Cyn6PLOE

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No more shall I say.

Some guy put a message on a BBC message board saying that the brotherhood would take over and tall hell would be let loose...thus scaring people....I have put the whole view now and it is quitened down. The trouble with the UK is that they have only had the experience of the bombers and this is mostly from the Pakistani world...they have no understanding of other Muslim countries.
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
India for Mubarak stepping down

Ok that's Turkey, Maldives and now India. Out of 200 something nations. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Revolution in Egypt and Beyond
It's about time, says Doug Casey.

Doug: I'm not saying I favor the unpleasantness and inconvenience for so many people that comes with such events, but this upheaval is long overdue. These Arab countries have long been the most repressive places in the world, with the possible exception of the despotisms in Africa, to their south. It's very good to see these regimes being overthrown. And the revolution – hopefully that's what it is – is internally generated. It's not the product of an invasion by foreign troops from an alien culture, which is what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan. Regime change in that whole part of the world is inevitable, necessary, and salubrious. The problematic question is: what are the old regimes going to be replaced with?

L: Fair enough. Let's take this one piece at a time… I think I know what you'll say, but do you think this is a fire that's going to spread, or were Tunisia and Egypt just particularly rickety?

Doug: I think it is going to spread, and I'll tell you why:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/casey/casey74.1.html

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Betrayal
Is that the eventual fate for the Egyptian revolution?

There is nothing in this dark and cynical world that is more beautiful than when a people rises up en masse against its suffocating and predatory political system and tells its murderous "leaders" to get the hell out of the country. Such a scene is all the more inspiring when it is motivated solely by the hope for freedom and prosperity, and the participants resort to the protest instead of the assault rifle. In the face of such a powerful grassroots lunge toward liberty, it is a foregone conclusion that the "leaders" of the country will eventually be forced to abdicate power and run for their lives. When this happens, the victorious and free people will fill the streets and countryside with joyous and uproarious song. They will have won the battle for liberty.

The truth is, however, that running the bastards out of town is at most only half the battle, because there are always plenty of bastards waiting in the wings to betray the revolution and assume power themselves. In fact, chances are that the new bastards have already made powerful contacts within the military and police and quiet agreements with foreign governments to reinstate a moderated form of the old system even before the old bastard is finally ousted. They will assume the throne and re-enslave the people, perhaps slightly less onerously than before, but enslave them nonetheless. [...]

http://www.lewrockwell.com/crovelli/crovelli54.1.html

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Have heard from a friend up the road on another compound that the net might be going down again in Egypt today - not sure how true it is - rumours as we know are rife at the moment.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there are rumours of a march to the palace. This will affect certain roads to the airport.

News from airport this morning though, taxis ran as normal, roads in all clear and the airport is running well and it stinks like crapola and is dirty as hell. Advised to take own food, water and loo roll too. But most folk I know buggered off to the Novotel for a beer instead of sitting in hotel.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont blame them
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
The BBC are streaming live again from Tahrir Square. I don't think I ever saw so many people. I have no sound but it looks peaceful.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
Captured on camera, the sickening moment a police van ploughed through the crowd in Cairo:

This is the sickening moment a police van ploughed through a crowd of innocent bystanders in a Cairo street.

Several people are run down by the van while countless others dive for cover as the vehicle drove through the crowd without slowing down.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353501/Egypt-protests-Moment-police-van-ploughed-innocent-crowd-Cairo.html#ixzz1Cyn6PLOE

I still not have the nerve to watch this.Dont think will. [Frown]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
morning all, can anyone give a brief recap on what's been happening overnight or point me to somewhere, net is slow as a snail, woke up with thumping head and ran out of Cleopatra, ggggrrrr

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
@Sashyra If it's the one taken by Sandmonkey that was posted earlier in the thread, trucks were reversing over people on the bridge. It's horrendous. But we should see it. The world needs to be watching.

@Ayisha Last night was weird. At one point on twitter there was report after report of the army leaving, 80 - 100 cars full of pro Mubarak people arriving, then they were countered by reports that everything was calm. It would appear it was some kind of scare tactic - general conscensus was it was calm. There were absolutely no journos present though. Those who are braving it out were probably getting some shut eye for today.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Ayisha - as far as we know relatively quiet night was passed in Tahrir. No idea about the rest of Egypt.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monkey... Don't turn up volume and judge with your own eyes whas hapenning. I suggest a lot of folk do that.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:

sash, no one was hurt, miraculously. Just shows how much he loves his people though. [Frown]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Pro-M thugs and police preventing pro-democracy protestors from marching from Shoubra to Midan Tahrir. Using live fire to turn them back. Army simply watching.

AJ live

note: Shoubra is an area north of Cairo, but not too far from Tahrir.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very saddened the Metro paper - a free paper read by most Londoners - showed this http://www.metro.co.uk/news/854614-egyptian-president-hosni-mubarak-itll-be-chaos-if-i-quit

Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak: It'll be chaos if I quit
Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak said he wanted to step down but feared there would be chaos if he did so.

Caption on the picture:
Street fight: Anti-government protesters throw stones at Mr Mubarak’s supporters in Cairo (Picture: AP)

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
even if you didnt want to see it, if your watching AJ they showed them both on there
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

The Metro paper is issued by the Daily Mail and it was them apparently spreading scare stories re the MB yesterday in the UK that freaked the Brits back home out.
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
There doesn't seem to be any trouble. People are milling about, chanting, smiling. Doesn't look like an angry crowd anymore. Can't see any evidence of any pro Mubaraks.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Metro paper is issued by the Daily Mail and it was them apparently spreading scare stories re the MB yesterday in the UK that freaked the Brits back home out.

that's good to know...thanks.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
There doesn't seem to be any trouble. People are milling about, chanting, smiling. Doesn't look like an angry crowd anymore. Can't see any evidence of any pro Mubaraks.

I don't think there will be violence in Tahrir during daytime. Tantawi (Def. Minister), and other top Generals were there "inspecting" the Square.
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
I spoke to Mr T yesterday and asked him about his feelings to outside influences. He said he doesn't know anyone himself that is mistrustful of foreigners but he said he doesn't care what other presidents prime ministers and leaders say because him and those he knows want this to be an Egyptian people win. Without outside influences. He said they need to do this for them and by themselves
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
AJ said 13 dead and 1000s injured last night
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I don't know if it has already been mentioned on here, but I have seen a different video. A white car ran down countless people, you can see one person being flung off it as the car drives down the street. Does anyone know the deathcount for that, surely a least a few died? I will try to find the video...
Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
WK i saw the same video and they just showed its on AJ. They said it was a miracle no one was killed
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcFd12qdZw
[Frown]

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching AJE... the scene in Tahrir is REALLY amazing! It's fantastic...
Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
quote:

I don't know if it has already been mentioned on here, but I have seen a different video. A white car ran down countless people, you can see one person being flung off it as the car drives down the street. Does anyone know the deathcount for that, surely a least a few died? I will try to find the video...
This same one was showed from different angles as far as I can see and no one was hurt. There is apparently another of a tank or car or something backing over people but not seen that one. If anyone can post that again please?

Listening to AJ live feed now

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Friday Tahrir Sermon: “the people reject American and outside influences, the people reject the opposition parties negotiating on the people behalf, if they want dialogue, it must be with the people”

also

“this revolution is not about religion and is not about any ideology, it is about all of Egypt right for freedom”

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Muslims and Christians praying together.
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
mosaaberizing Mosa'ab Elshamy
by Sandmonkey
New comers applauded by us but foreigners are met with extra cheers. #Tahrir

This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  45  46  47   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com