EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » should women wear a veil? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: should women wear a veil?
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Newcomer.

In Egypt, Europeans wearing a hijab get stared out. Purely because it looks strange to see a hijab around a bright pink face.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 25 June 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omelbanaat
Member # 4616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for omelbanaat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Egypt, I feel that increasing amounts of women, teenagers and even young girls are taking up the veil. For someone like me, who chooses not to, or rather, who does not believe that it is a requirement of my faith, things can get a little frustrating.

Just let me say, for the record, that no-one has been able to prove that Hijab is a Farida (requirement, like prayer, fasting, etc.) I enjoy the debate, and enjoy being given fresh fodder for my defence, but I would equally appreciate anyone who could give me evidence that disproves my point. If it was categorically right, "you must veil yourself" there wouldn't even be a debate, would there. So, I shall continue wearing my jeans, tank tops, and especially my bathing suits this summer. My sister in law wears a huge t-shirt and leggings to the beach, and the other one is veiled, and they still get stared at, so what's the diff? I'll burn in hell? I don't think so. I might be at a higher risk for carcinoma, but the feel of the sand, wind and water on my bare skin, the pure joy of it, makes it worthwhile . Once again, if you choose the veil, that's great for you, but just know that you don't have to do so just to be a "good Muslim". Salaam.

Posts: 35 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phagocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all,
my discussion about abu hurayra is to throw doubt on his narrations which i surely have the right to do so ....if u follow the logic and the reason so when u narrate a hadeeth fortelled from him i have to raise my rightful doubts esp. when talking about something illogical like hadeeth of the fly ....please refer to it !!!!!!!!!!
then about hijab ....
I hate it when one hijakes the truth and imposes his opinion on all the others talking in the name of GOD and go out saying ..." veil before judgment " as we clarified here that there exists another vision and another explanation of the verses ...
and for the hadeeth of asmaa bent aby bakr ...it is what is callled hadeeth ahad .....not tawator .......
it is graded da3eef ...mainly by the wahabis themselves ...as they impose alnekab not just the hijab ......

Posts: 58 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through all these years of researching the best ways of making my way quietly and gently through Egypt, giving the greatest amount of respect and receiving the smallest amount of unwanted attention, I had assumed that veiling was the way to go.

Besides, I have always believed that there is a core of common sense in any ancient cultural tradition ... for example, Eskimos need to eat a diet of whale blubber because in that climate, to do otherwise would cause them hypothermia. The land provides for the people.
Thus, veiling has a place in a land intense sun and sand storms ... and I do so want to experience the Siroco!

Reading these posts, I am less sure.

Luxor Lover: Truly ... what would cause more attention? An unveiled blonde westerner or a veiled blonde westerner? I'm thinking that at least from a distance, one would not see the hair colour ... and when you write "pink face" do you mean sun burnt, or simply pale?
A deeply tanned veiled person would get less attention than a pale veiled person, huh?

And these fatwas, they are being made to sound like physical things ... are they? Could one really collect them and make, say, a charm bracelette of them or something?

Omelbanaat: Is what you say really true? That a woman on the beach wearing a western style bathing suit actually gets no more attention than a woman completely veiled?
Wow. Changes my long term suitcase packing plans. To think that I was going to sew a series of light cotton, layerable dresses with tiny snaps to affix the coordinated veils ...

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salaams Phagocyte

I agree that you have every right to question the validity of Hadith, as I already mentioned in my previous post. You raised some doubts and I tried to find answers to them for you to see if they would help answer your doubts. I hope that you found them useful. We will whether the Hadith about the fly is illogical if/when science is able to prove or disprove it maybe?

My comment about keeping subjects Egypt related was actually more to do with your comment about refuting arguments with Shi’i arguments, whichæ as most Egyptians are Sunni’sæ and it seemed to me that it would be better to at least keep the discussions within the local school of thought.

Although I cannot answer all of your long article, from the summary given by omelbanaat, I would argue that the verse: "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their Jalayubihinna. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful."(33:59) along with: “And tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers…” (24: 31) clearly shows that Islam did give an instruction for all believing women to cover themselves, not just the wives of the Prophet, when they leave the house and in front of non-marriageable men (with debate being mainly centered on whether Juyubihinna/ Jalayubihinna (pl.) means their bodies, necks, and chests, or also their faces.) It didn’t tell them to take their veils off their heads to do so, but also to draw them over the rest of their body. In addition, to show that the women weren’t doing this previously and that it wasn’t just the wives of the Prophet’s who did it, this Hadith by Aisha (r.a) describes the reaction of the women of the Ansar (the women who used to live in Medina before the Meccans emigrated there): “May Allah have mercy on the Ansar women. When the verse: ‘That they should draw their veils over their chests’ was revealed, they tore their thick outer garments and made veils from them. And when the verse that they should ‘cast their outer garments over themselves’ was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.” [Abu Dawood] (sory I don't have an evaluation for this hadith...can any help out?) I too have also read in many sources about the weakness of the Hadith about Asma bint Au Bakr that is usually quoted.

This doesn’t mean that to wear hijab is one of the pillars of Islam, as we know that there are only five, the shahadah, prayer, zakat, fasting, and hajj, but as it is a commandment given in the Quran, and the definition of a Muslim is someone who believes in Allah and follows His Commands, then this does make wearing hijab one of the acts that is compulsory on Muslim women, along with behaving modestly, piously, compassionately, honestly, contributing to society, etc. etc. In the same way as these behaviours are obligatory on Muslim men along with wearing loose modest clothing (with the exclusion of the head cover and a slight reduction on the amount of his body that it is obligatory for him to cover).

Sorry Luxorlover, there is no exception given for European women in Luxor in either the Qur’an or Hadith! ;-) European women get stared at in Egypt whether they wear hijab or not, but at least wearing it identifies them as a Muslim and shows what kind of lifestyle they have committed themselves to. It is not a proof that they are good, honest, pious people, as that obviously comes from their actions, but that does not detract from the fact that it is still one of the things that a Muslim is told to do.

Cassia, fatawas are Islamic legal rulings that are given by Muslim jurists, they are not amulets! If I were you I would read through this forum about suitable clothing to be worn in Egypt by tourists, the subject has been raised many times and a lot of advice has been given already. Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
actually it is not just an islamic tradition of showing modesty by covering up but also understood and practiced by Christians as well. Nuns wear cover up too in Christianity. Christian Orthodox church requires a woman to wear a scarf to cover her head during church services

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 24 June 2004).]

This may be true, but Muslim women, particularly in the Arab world, take it to another level. They don't just wear it during religious services...They wear it where ever they go, and almost at all times!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
This may be true, but Muslim women, particularly in the Arab world, take it to another level. They don't just wear it during religious services...They wear it where ever they go, and almost at all times!

so do nuns and even at much higher level

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 25 June 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phagocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
first u r here also forcing your interpretation of the quran on all others judging out here and there ...sorry .....that 's what i proteset to
then i'll try to hit the main points in these articles may be u can answer them because it is clearly that all what u said is repeated and have been discussed previously before ....as for hijab it was a heritage from the ancient greek and roman culture .
then it was narrated in the sunah that women in el ghazawat shared in the fights so the khemar is surely out of question and the women used to practise "wodooa " with men in the same space?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......
also omar ebn el khattab used to go around the streets of el medina hitting any slave wearing the hijab ..so it was a way to discriminate between the free ladies and the slaves cause they used to go out of the premises of the medina for the call of the nature the monafkeen used to go out and bother them ....
as for the hadeeth i mentioned previously that it was da3eef weak .....and sorry but if hijab was such an important thing ,would not there be like 200 persons who will come to el bokhary and muslim stressing how that the prophet stressed on this code of clothing for woman not just three or four guys
and for the verse ...by god's name it was adressing the wives of the prophet ..... how do u widen the adressee in such an irrelevant way ...even the call for the wives of the prophet certain conditions causes for these verses has been told and
it very strange to impose them on all the other women ....
then i resort here to the common logic and to questions by which i was wondering in the beginning of the discussion ....DOES WEARING A WIG SOLVE THE PROPLEM FOR U ?
DOES A WOMAN NEED A PIECE OF CLOTH TO COVER HER HAIR TO BE ..... COMPLETE .. TO BE PURE ...TO BE RESPECTABLE ?
iS IT EITHER TO WEAR A BIKINI OR BE A WALKING TENT ?
iS THE WOMAN AN INCOMPLETE CREATURE WHO NEEDS THE TESTIMONY OF HER SURROUNDINGS TO BE ABLE TO BE CALLED 3AFEFA AND SHAREEFA ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not saying here that i am right and u r wrong but i say that i can disagree with u and your interpretation and that it is not a straight forward verse that does not need interpretation ....that my interpretation is as good as yours.
It is as i see a way of political islam to stress on a threatened cultural identity .
Others are feeling the old complex relating sex with guilt feeling that all our bad mishappenings are coming from our unveiled women but sorry it is all misplanning and underplanning and our chaotic way of life ( see how if one member of the family gets really sick ...how the females of the family get veiled in fear that this old sick guy is sick for them not being veiled ...but sorry this old sick guy will die even if the men themselves will get veiled )( see how many get veiled in post traumatic stress syndromes well known in psychiatry like many actresses and actors but if u work in the medicine and work among death u will know that it has nothing to do with it )( by the way i have seen how they look to the dead person and say he died and he was pale and smiling and i curse our ignorance silently ....it is all pathological causes of death and has nothing to do with the after life ....sorry )
people out there .... woman is an equal partner to us the men in life ....no verse no hadeeth can stop this because through enlightened interpretations of the quran ...our religion can stand for the challenge of time and can be really the fastest growing religion in the world ( not by saying that women are most of the residents of hell and not by condemning women that they are not fit for judging or governing ..... not by saying that woman should inherit half of her male brother ....a recnt enlightened iranian fatwaa overruled that hokm and gave the females her fuul equal inheritance right...by the way ......) thx and sorry if i was a little bit long or imprudent in my words ......

Posts: 58 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherowet
Member # 4579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherowet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Salaams Phagocyte

I agree that you have every right to question the validity of Hadith, as I already mentioned in my previous post. You raised some doubts and I tried to find answers to them for you to see if they would help answer your doubts. I hope that you found them useful. We will whether the Hadith about the fly is illogical if/when science is able to prove or disprove it maybe?

My comment about keeping subjects Egypt related was actually more to do with your comment about refuting arguments with Shi’i arguments, whichæ as most Egyptians are Sunni’sæ and it seemed to me that it would be better to at least keep the discussions within the local school of thought.

Although I cannot answer all of your long article, from the summary given by omelbanaat, I would argue that the verse: "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their Jalayubihinna. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful."(33:59) along with: “And tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers…” (24: 31) clearly shows that Islam did give an instruction for all believing women to cover themselves, not just the wives of the Prophet, when they leave the house and in front of non-marriageable men (with debate being mainly centered on whether Juyubihinna/ Jalayubihinna (pl.) means their bodies, necks, and chests, or also their faces.) It didn’t tell them to take their veils off their heads to do so, but also to draw them over the rest of their body. In addition, to show that the women weren’t doing this previously and that it wasn’t just the wives of the Prophet’s who did it, this Hadith by Aisha (r.a) describes the reaction of the women of the Ansar (the women who used to live in Medina before the Meccans emigrated there): “May Allah have mercy on the Ansar women. When the verse: ‘That they should draw their veils over their chests’ was revealed, they tore their thick outer garments and made veils from them. And when the verse that they should ‘cast their outer garments over themselves’ was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.” [Abu Dawood] (sory I don't have an evaluation for this hadith...can any help out?) I too have also read in many sources about the weakness of the Hadith about Asma bint Au Bakr that is usually quoted.

This doesn’t mean that to wear hijab is one of the pillars of Islam, as we know that there are only five, the shahadah, prayer, zakat, fasting, and hajj, but as it is a commandment given in the Quran, and the definition of a Muslim is someone who believes in Allah and follows His Commands, then this does make wearing hijab one of the acts that is compulsory on Muslim women, along with behaving modestly, piously, compassionately, honestly, contributing to society, etc. etc. In the same way as these behaviours are obligatory on Muslim men along with wearing loose modest clothing (with the exclusion of the head cover and a slight reduction on the amount of his body that it is obligatory for him to cover).

Sorry Luxorlover, there is no exception given for European women in Luxor in either the Qur’an or Hadith! ;-) European women get stared at in Egypt whether they wear hijab or not, but at least wearing it identifies them as a Muslim and shows what kind of lifestyle they have committed themselves to. It is not a proof that they are good, honest, pious people, as that obviously comes from their actions, but that does not detract from the fact that it is still one of the things that a Muslim is told to do.

Cassia, fatawas are Islamic legal rulings that are given by Muslim jurists, they are not amulets! If I were you I would read through this forum about suitable clothing to be worn in Egypt by tourists, the subject has been raised many times and a lot of advice has been given already. Enjoy your trip.

i agree with you 100% newcomer

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies, I apologize about the fatwa quip.
The words read funny to me. I apologize.
There is no room for jokes.
Peace be with you.

HOWEVER
The question was NOT "should a *Moslem* woman veil?" - it was "should a woman veil?".

In fact, there is no specific forum for what visitors to Egypt should wear, unless it is archived. And as I have scanned the entirety of this site, I must assume I'm being referred to various quips about inappropriate attire worn by "sex tourists"?
(An interesting term I have never before seen.)

Believe me when I say that I have googled this topic to death. Including helping a friend purchase a niquab online. But until I read this very forum, I had not known that a fully veiled woman can get every bit as much rude, ignorant, unwanted, unasked for, and unjustified attention as a western tourist in shorts. So I asked about it.
That's a totally fair question - and I hope it will be answered.

Sherowet, please excuse me if I am misreading your post - I believed that it was respectful to veil one's head while in an Islamic culture. You seem to be inferring that the only women who have the *right* to do so are Islamic women. Is this correct? Is it being inferred that only Islamic women are capable of modesty?

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phagocyte:
Hi,
first u r here also forcing your interpretation of the quran on all others judging out here and there ...sorry .....that 's what i proteset to

Salaams Phagocyte
I was trying to answer your previous points by expressing my understanding by using the phrase: “I would argue that…” which is used in English to mean that I will give reasons or evidence in support of my point of view, if you see that is “forcing my interpretation of the quran on all others” then I stand guilty as charged.
quote:

then i'll try to hit the main points in these articles may be u can answer them because it is clearly that all what u said is repeated and have been discussed previously before ....

Please show me where anyone had previously quoted these verses or this Hadith in this thread (in English).
quote:

as for hijab it was a heritage from the ancient greek and roman culture .

I never denied that previous cultures had also worn a form of hijab, it is know that the Jews and Christians were told to cover in their Holy Books. My comment meant that as the Qur’an told the women to do this and they changed their way of dressing as a result of the revelation, it wasn’t commonly practiced among the Arabs at that time. It also meant that it was sanctioned as part of the Islamic religion.
quote:

then it was narrated in the sunah that women in el ghazawat shared in the fights so the khemar is surely out of question and the women used to practise "wodooa " with men in the same space?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......

If women can work in the fields wearing hijab in many countries and carry out manual labour while wearing it also, what would have stopped the women going to the battlefield with it…have you ever seen some of the outfits the men used to go to battle in? They were hardly the battle compatible outfits soldiers wear now. Exemptions are also given in Islamic law for women not to remove their hijab to perform wudu’ if it would be difficult for them to do so. They may instead wipe over their scarves. I would assume that that was how the women took wudu’ with the men on the battle field if separate places were not made available for them. Or they took tayammum maybe.
quote:

also omar ebn el khattab used to go around the streets of el medina hitting any slave wearing the hijab ..so it was a way to discriminate between the free ladies and the slaves cause they used to go out of the premises of the medina for the call of the nature the monafkeen used to go out and bother them ....

The verse I mentioned (33:59) specified that one of the reasons for wearing hijb was to differentiate believing women from non-believing women. Your comment seems to support this rather than argue against it, unless you can offer me any evidence that it was Muslim slave women that he was also hitting.
quote:

as for the hadeeth i mentioned previously that it was da3eef weak .....

I agreed with you on that one if you re-read my posting.
quote:

and sorry but if hijab was such an important thing ,would not there be like 200 persons who will come to el bokhary and muslim stressing how that the prophet stressed on this code of clothing for woman not just three or four guys

Sorry I am not sure which “guys” you are referring to or the relevance of this comment.
quote:

and for the verse ...by god's name it was adressing the wives of the prophet ..... how do u widen the adressee in such an irrelevant way ...even the call for the wives of the prophet certain conditions causes for these verses has been told and
it very strange to impose them on all the other women ....

If you read the verse, it wasn’t me who widened it:
{íóÇ ÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáäøóÈöíøõ Þõá áøöÃóÒúæóÇÌößó æóÈóäóÇÊößó æóäöÓóÇÁ ÇáúãõÄúãöäöíäó íõÏúäöíäó Úóáóíúåöäøó ãöä ÌóáóÇÈöíÈöåöäøó Ðóáößó ÃóÏúäóì Ãóä íõÚúÑóÝúäó ÝóáóÇ íõÄúÐóíúäó æóßóÇäó Çááøóåõ ÛóÝõæÑðÇ ÑøóÍöíãðÇ} (59) ÓæÑÉ ÇáÃÍÒÇÈ
"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their Jalayubihinna. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful."(33:59)
quote:

then i resort here to the common logic and to questions by which i was wondering in the beginning of the discussion ....DOES WEARING A WIG SOLVE THE PROPLEM FOR U ?
DOES A WOMAN NEED A PIECE OF CLOTH TO COVER HER HAIR TO BE ..... COMPLETE .. TO BE PURE ...TO BE RESPECTABLE ?
iS IT EITHER TO WEAR A BIKINI OR BE A WALKING TENT ?
iS THE WOMAN AN INCOMPLETE CREATURE WHO NEEDS THE TESTIMONY OF HER SURROUNDINGS TO BE ABLE TO BE CALLED 3AFEFA AND SHAREEFA ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already answered these points if you read my previous postings.
quote:

I am not saying here that i am right and u r wrong but i say that i can disagree with u and your interpretation and that it is not a straight forward verse that does not need interpretation ....that my interpretation is as good as yours.

I have said from the very beginning that this is my understanding based on my readings and I suggested that meteora also read around to gain her own understanding before she took the step to start wearing hijab.
quote:

It is as i see a way of political islam to stress on a threatened cultural identity .
Others are feeling the old complex relating sex with guilt feeling that all our bad mishappenings are coming from our unveiled women but sorry it is all misplanning and underplanning and our chaotic way of life ( see how if one member of the family gets really sick ...how the females of the family get veiled in fear that this old sick guy is sick for them not being veiled ...but sorry this old sick guy will die even if the men themselves will get veiled )( see how many get veiled in post traumatic stress syndromes well known in psychiatry like many actresses and actors but if u work in the medicine and work among death u will know that it has nothing to do with it )( by the way i have seen how they look to the dead person and say he died and he was pale and smiling and i curse our ignorance silently ....it is all pathological causes of death and has nothing to do with the after life ....sorry )

I know there are many cultural misunderstandings of how and why hijab should or should not be worn and I do not support them either. But I do see wearing hijab as an Islamic obligation on Muslim women, and we therefore have to go back to the authentic source texts to understand how it should be done.
quote:

people out there .... woman is an equal partner to us the men in life ....no verse no hadeeth can stop this because through enlightened interpretations of the quran ...our religion can stand for the challenge of time and can be really the fastest growing religion in the world ( not by saying that women are most of the residents of hell and not by condemning women that they are not fit for judging or governing ..... not by saying that woman should inherit half of her male brother ....a recnt enlightened iranian fatwaa overruled that hokm and gave the females her fuul equal inheritance right...by the way ......) thx and sorry if i was a little bit long or imprudent in my words ......

I agree with you 100%, women are partners of equal value with men in this world, they have their roles to play as do the men and that Islam was revealed for all time, all .places, and all people. However as I said before, I am a Sunni Muslim and follow the Sunni rulings, I therefore do not refer to Shi’i sources for my deen.
This is the longest posting I have made here!!! For a change I actually have a few days with some time to myself. I too apologise for the length, but wanted to take the chance to answer this post. It was a pleasure discussing this with you.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
Thank you for your detailed reply ....
as for the previous debate i was not referring to u ...i was referring to previous discussions in this subject ....as this was on the newspapers for some time
as for the omar ebn el khattab incident, yes they were muslim slaves as if u refer to the definition of el 3awra of the slave woman u will find differences
As to the verse u used ...it supports my version of omar ebn el khatteab incident and if u admit the verse can be explained within the causes of its putting down .....
( for fear to be known )
and then where does it say here to cover her hair ..??????
do u want to say that the verse is incapable of its linguistic tools??????? .....would not it just said ,....." just cover your hair "
but once the verse has stopped from explaining something then it left the liberty of the muslims to have their opinion and agree and disagree and do what is appropriate for their society .....

"cover thine hair " is all what i want to find in the quran .....
Excluding the shitte way of thinking is not very clever because one of the things the sunnis are blamed for is that they are so stoned in their thinkings by the explanations of the previos people of el salaf and this is very freezing for the liberty of thinking cause i can show things in the books of abo haneefa and others which are illogical for our present timing .( i know that the shitte have also their faults in thinking like el mahdy el montazar and the inherited ruler blabla but cant we take the best of both sides )
Thx
P.S.: believing is much easier than thinking , hence so many believers so little thinkers ....

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by cassia:
Ladies, I apologize about the fatwa quip.
The words read funny to me. I apologize.
There is no room for jokes.
Peace be with you.

HOWEVER
The question was NOT "should a *Moslem* woman veil?" - it was "should a woman veil?".

In fact, there is no specific forum for what visitors to Egypt should wear, unless it is archived. And as I have scanned the entirety of this site, I must assume I'm being referred to various quips about inappropriate attire worn by "sex tourists"?
(An interesting term I have never before seen.)

Believe me when I say that I have googled this topic to death. Including helping a friend purchase a niquab online. But until I read this very forum, I had not known that a fully veiled woman can get every bit as much rude, ignorant, unwanted, unasked for, and unjustified attention as a western tourist in shorts. So I asked about it.
That's a totally fair question - and I hope it will be answered.

Sherowet, please excuse me if I am misreading your post - I believed that it was respectful to veil one's head while in an Islamic culture. You seem to be inferring that the only women who have the *right* to do so are Islamic women. Is this correct? Is it being inferred that only Islamic women are capable of modesty?

Hi cassia!
According to Islam, wearing a veil is only an obligation (in my understanding and that of many millions of other Muslims) on Muslim women, whether they are in a Muslim country or not. It is not country specific. There are also other religions that also require it of women according to certain interpretations, like the Amish, but for example you will generally not see the Coptic women in Cairo wearing scarves, although someone did mention that some of them do when they go to church. People were also saying that the Coptic women in the south do wear a head covering, but it is a different style from the hijab.
A tourist does not have to wear a veil in Egypt. If she chooses to I am sure by some she will be seen as being respectful, by others possibly mistaken for a Muslim woman on many occasions, and by some others probably as a little odd. Some non-Muslim women who live here do sometimes wear hijab to blend in, but others say it makes them attract even more attention, dependent on their colouring. Wearing a headscarf and even niqab doesn’t necessarily save you from rude/unwanted attention from some people, in fact it can in some circumstances attract it! There are some people who will be rude to anyone.
I was suggesting that you did a search just of this site as it has its own search feature, top right of the page. These are a few I found, I am sure you will be able to find more with different keywords: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000954.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000380.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000298.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000964.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000964.html

newcomer
Member # 1056

Salaams Phagocyte!

This has to be my last post today...have too many other things to do! But just wanted to make a couple of comments. As requested earlier, can you please give me the references for your comments about Umar ibn Al-Khattab.

As you know if a verse in the Qur’an does not give the full details about something the Qur’an itself tells us to refer to the Sunnah. As I mentioned earlier the word used in the verses is Juyubihinna/ Jalayubihinna (pl.) which shows it is not limited to covering just the hair as this word can be interpreted to mean the body, neck, and chest, or also the face. It is around this word that the debate seems to be centred with some people interpreting it to exclude the hair as well. However, I am more convinced of the first understanding as the obligatory one, as are most of the scholars of Islam, from my other readings.

I personally don’t see that a piece of cloth holds back a woman from participating in society, in fact it gives her more liberty to do that in a comfortable way rather than having to be a slave to the latest fashions for approval and having to learn how to “dress for success” in the business world.

Just because people complain about the Sunni’s does not mean that we go outside our aqeedah to update our thinking. Abu Hanifah was one of the four great early imams of Sunni Islam, but all of them said that if you find anything in the sunnah that conflicts with my point of view, then take the sunnah as the truth, not my words. Even the early scholars updated their ideas, for example Shafi’i when he came to Egypt, we should be doing the same, but making sure we are using sound authentic sources to base the new ideas on.

PS I notice that you have never given me salaams, does this mean that you are not a Muslim or you are not sure whether I am?

dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal supreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why you reply to a topic not related to 'Living in Egypt'? Your the one who called those who posted such topics idiots, so why are you replying to an 'idiotic' thread now?
What a stupid ass hypocrite

[This message has been edited by dajjal supreme (edited 25 June 2004).]

Posts: 170 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherowet
Member # 4579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherowet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cassia:

[/B]

i don not say that only islamic women are capable of modesty but i say that it is allah order to wear the hijab in islam but of course in all religions the women are capable of modesty

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
hello newcomer ,
we can throw verses and evidences and references in each other's face for a decade and at the end none will change his position .....
women out there wear whatever u want ..but to see some capaign saying hejabek ramz 3efatek ,,,that is very ignorant and insulting
I am a muslim but we will never go any where if the majority still not dare to think and challenge every thing for the best of the humanity
Soon we will be like those african tribes that refuse the advanced world only we will be walking around in veils and beards ....
Still if u show me one verse in the quran that says cover your hair i' ll declare i give in and i am wrong ,all other wide words can endure all other interpretations .
For references please refer to the books written about hejab by saeed el 3ashmawy and gamal el bana ...... their u will find all the references u r looking for .....
as for your debate about sunna ....how would u know that u r right ? if u donot see other thinkings .....what if u were born shiits ? would not a shiite born muslim say the same things ?!!!!!!!!!
if u r prefering the cool relaxing satiety of the idea that u r right and all the others are wrong without testing and experimenting ...then i wish u cool and happy life .....
SALAM ....i did not mean to be rude or indecent so pardon me if i did not end my postings with salam but i thought "THX" was enough

sherowet
Member # 4579

Rate Member
phagocyte hijab is ordered by god in quran and there are many verses which state that the hijab is for all women not to the prophet wives only

like this verse:

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their Jalayubihinna. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful."(33:59) along with: “And tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers…” (24: 31)

newcomer
Member # 1056

Assalamu alaykum Phagocyte

The whole point of my messages was not to change your point of view as you seem to be fairly fixed in that for your own reasons, and you are entitled to that if you haven’t found anything that convinces you otherwise, but the point of me taking time to reply to you was to give anyone reading this thread, who hadn’t had the opportunity to read the newspaper campaign you were referring to, another side of the story than the one you were presenting. If the only thing that would convince you would be to lay it on a plate and present you with an unambiguous literal direct instruction to do “cover hair” in the Quran, then I am sorry, I can’t assist you in this by adding a new verse to make it easy for you, you will have to use your mind to search through the authentic sources to get the full picture of what the religion expects women to do in this regard.

It is of course up to women to wear what they want, but as practicing Muslim women they should be doing this on an informed basis as to the full range of opinions on the subject from learned scholars (not relying on boards like this). They should then adopt the opinion with the best and strongest evidence, and not just taking the easiest way out or one that suits whatever they fancy doing.

I find it interesting that you reject the idea that wearing hijab can be an indication that someone has made a choice to do so through thinking about the subject, researching it, and coming to the conclusion that it is a religious obligation on them; yet you insist on viewing it, along with beards, as a symbol of backwardness and refusal to join the advanced world!!! I personally am convinced that it is not one or the other, but that one can participate in very ‘advanced’ areas of life and still wear a hijab, or even niqab, or a beard, and I have plenty of evidence to support that among the people I know.

I was asking for the authentic original references for the evidences you were giving me as I had given you to support my arguments, insha Allah I will find them one day.

After all I have said it is fairly insulting of you to assume that I have come to my conclusions through taqleed and know no other way. FYI I was not born a Sunni Muslim, I came to it through choice and understanding of what it meant to make this commitment, and I have probably “tested and experimented’ with more of life than you would imagine before coming to this point!!

dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal supreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phagocyte muslim women are required to cover their 3wra and their hair, and that is unequivocal. Indeed it is good to question things but this is something that a number of the most renowned sheikhs will confirm for you, and it's one of those thing that everybody knows is a 'must' in Islam. I believe Surah Al-Nur was pointed to you above by sherowet and you can confirm for yourself.
Have fun.

Posts: 170 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Honestly, are you trying compare nuns with ordinary women in the Arab or Muslim world? Nuns are a small group of people associated with religious services, and spend most of their time in churches or other associated religious institutions. It is their profession, and as such they are required to wear those clothes. The women here (Muslim women) aren't nuns, nor do they make it their life commitment to provide religious services to others. They wear this thing throughout their daily lives. How you can make a comparison between a few religious services officials, and the common woman throughout the muslim world is interesting, to say the least! Besides what is your point by claiming that nuns wear hijabs? Just because I didn't mention them, doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that they wear one. I made my earlier comment, using Muslim women in the Arab world as an example. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are the only ones who do so. By the way, do you see almost every woman in the streets of Europe or America wear hijabs all the time, and where ever they go? Well, that is the case in most Middle Eastern countries. That is why I used them as an example.

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:

I was interested in what: "and even at much higher level" meant?

Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Phagocyte:
[B]do u want to say that the verse is incapable of its linguistic tools??????? .....could not it just said ,....." just cover your hair " all the verses u r pointing to does not say that ....
but once the verse has stopped from explaining something then it left the liberty of the muslims to have their opinion and agree and disagree and do what is appropriate for their society .....
"cover thine hair " is all what i want to find in the quran .....
[B]

If a punch of sheoukh say something and u r convinced by it ...that's ok for u but if u really have been through alot "as u claim" u will know most of our sheoukh do not really think of how things come .this is the ever lasting debate between ahl el nakl and ahl el 3akl and badly ahl el nakl has won a long time ago and since then we r declinning to the worse ever ...please read more deeply in the thoughts of el mo3tazela .....if u care .....this is the end of my discussion here ...enjoy your cool lazy mindless veiled life .

newcomer
Member # 1056

FYI if any is interested in what the woman who is enjoying her "cool lazy mindless veiled life" (LOL) found this link will help to clarify the school of thought that Phagocyte was referring to: http://www.beliefnet.com/glossary/entry.asp?entry=mutazila
supercar
unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dajjal supreme:
Why you reply to a topic not related to 'Living in Egypt'? Your the one who called those who posted such topics idiots, so why are you replying to an 'idiotic' thread now?
What a stupid ass hypocrite

[This message has been edited by dajjal supreme (edited 25 June 2004).]

Listen you jackass, stupid ass and mindless IDIOT, this topic relates more to Egypt, than your illogical Al Qaeda beheading crap. Just back off, you low life!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 26 June 2004).]

Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Phagocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your links r like your mind superficial and does not work lollollollol
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
this for u new comer to prove that u still need alot to read it is in arabic if u want me to translate it to u i will though i do not really have the time .....because it seems that u r so single sourced

ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æËÞÇÝÉ ÇáÚÞá æÇáÊÝßíÑ
ÇáÎãíÓ 27 ãÇíæ 2004 16:02
Ï. ÚãÑæ ÇÓãÇÚíá

ÚäÏãÇ íäÈÑí ÇáÈÚÖ ãäÇ áãäÇÞÔÉ ÇÓÈÇÈ ÊÃÎÑäÇ æÌãæÏäÇ ÇáÍÖÇÑí æÇÑÌÇÚ ÈÚÖ åÐå ÇáÃÓÈÇÈ Çáí ËÞÇÝÉ ÇáäÞá æÇáÊáÞíä æÇäÊÕÇÑåÇ Úáí ËÞÇÝÉ ÇáÚÞá æÇáÊÝßíÑ äÌÏ Çä ãä íÚÊÞÏæä¡¡ æ áÇ ÃÏÑí áãÇÐÇ ÇääÇ äåÇÌã ÇáÇÓáÇã¡¡ íäÈÑæä ãä ãäØáÞ ÛíÑÊåã Úáí ÇáÏíä Ýí ÊÐßíÑäÇ ÈÃãÌÇÏ ÇáÇÓáÇã æ ÇáÇÓÊÔåÇÏ ÈÚáãÇÁ ÚåæÏ ÇáÇÒÏåÇÑ ãä ÇãËÇá ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æ ÇáÑÇÒí æÇáÝÇÑÇÈí Ëã äÌÏåã ÈÚÏ Ðáß íÓÊÔåÏæä ÈßáÇã ÇÈä ÊíãíÉ æ ÇáÛÒÇáí Çæ íåÇÌãæä ÈÚäÝ ãä íÃÊí Úáí ÐßÑåã ÈÃí ßáãÉ ÇäÊÞÇÏ æßÃä ÓáÝäÇ ÇáÕÇáÍ åã ßÇÆäÇÊ ÎÇÑÞÉ áÇ íÑÊßÈæä ÇáÃÎØÇÁ æßÃä áåã ÞÏÓíÉ áíÓÊ ãæÌæÏÉ Ýí ÇáÇÓáÇã áÈÔÑ ÇáÇ ááÑÓá ÝíãÇ ÇæÍí Çááå áåã.
æáåã ÇßÊÈ åÐå ÇáäÈÐå ÇáÈÓíØÉ Úä ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æÝáÓÝÊå åæ æÒãáÇÆå ãä ÃÚáÇã ÚÕæÑ ÇáÃÒÏåÇÑ ÇáÇÓáÇãí áäÚÑÝ ÌãíÚÇ Çä ÇáßËíÑ ãä ÇáÃÝßÇÑ ÇáÊí äÃÎÐåÇ ßÍÞÇÆÞ åí ÇÈÚÏ ãÇ Êßæä Úä ÇáÍÞíÞÉ æÃä ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æ ÇáÑÇÒí ßÇäÇ Úáí ØÑÝí äÞíÖ ãÚ ÇáÛÒÇáí æÇÈä ÊíãíÉ æÇä ÇáÇäÍÏÇÑ ÈÏà ÝÚáÇ ÚäÏãÇ ÇäÊÕÑÊ ËÞÇÝÉ ÇáäÞá æÇáÊáÞíä Úáí ËÞÇÝÉ ÇáÚÞá æÇáÊÝßíÑ.
ãä åæ ÇÈä ÓíäÇ¿ åæ ÃÈæ Úáí ÇáÍÓíä Èä ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ÇáÍÓä Èä Úáí Èä ÓíäÇ¡ ÇÔÊåÑ ÈÇáØÈ æÇáÝáÓÝÉ¡ æáÏ Ýí ÞÑíÉ (ÃÝÔäÉ) ÇáÝÇÑÓíÉ ÓäÉ 370 åÌÑíÉ æÊæÝí Ýí åãÐÇä ÔäÉ 427 åÌÑíÉ
æÝí ÇáæÇÞÚ ÝÞÏ ÊÌáÊ Ýí ÇÈä ÓíäÇ ÕÝÇÊ ÇáÝíáÓæÝ æÇáØÈíÈ æÇáÝÞíå æÇáÔÇÚÑ. íÚÑÝ ÚäÏ ÇáÛÑÈ ÈÇÓã (Avicenna).æÞÏ ÃßÈ ÇÈä ÓíäÇ Úáì ÏÑÇÓÉ ÇáØÈíÚíÇÊ æÇáÑíÇÖíÇÊ æÇáãäØÞ æÚáæã ãÇ ÈÚÏ ÇáØÈíÚÉ¡ æÃÎÐ Ýä ÇáØÈ ãä ØÈíÈ ãÓíÍí íÏÚì ÚíÓì Èä íÍíì¡ æØÇÑ ÕíÊå Ýí ÇáØÈ æáãÇ íÊÌÇæÒ ÇáÓÇÏÓÉ ÚÔÑ ãä ÚãÑå¡ ÝÃãå ÇáÃØÈÇÁ ãä ßá ÕæÈ íÃÎÐæä Úäå æíÊÚáãæä ãäå.

ÇÓÊåæÊå ÇáÝáÓÝÉ ÝÃßÈ Úáì ÏÑÇÓÊåÇ æÚßÝ Úáì Úáã ãÇ ÈÚÏ ÇáØÈíÚÉ æØÇáÚ ßÊÇÈ ÃÑÓØæ æÃÝÇÏ ãä ßÊÇÈ ÇáÝÇÑÇÈí Ýí ÃÛÑÇÖ ãÇ ÈÚÏ ÇáØÈíÚÉ ÇáÐí ÔÑÍ Ýíå Úáã ÃÑÓØæ¡ æÃÞÇã ãÐåÈÇ ÝáÓÝíÇ Ýí ÇáæÍÏÇäíÉ íÞÊÑÈ Åáì ÃÞÕì ÍÏ ããßä ãä ÊÑßíÈ íÄáÝ Èíä ÇáÅÓáÇã æÊÚÇáíã ÃÝáÇØæä æÃÑÓØæ.
ÃÔåÑ ßÊÈå Ýí ÇáÝáÓÝÉ (ÇáÔÝÇÁ) æÞÏ ÞÕÏ Èå ÔÝÇÁ ÇáäÝÓ ãä ÚááåÇ æÃÎØÇÆåÇ æÚÇáÌ ãæÖæÚ ÇáäÝÓ ÈÞÏÑ ãÇ ÚÇáÌ ãæÖæÚ ÇáÌÓã¡ æßÊÇÈå (ÇáäÌÇÉ) æåæ ãÎÊÕÑ ßÊÇÈå (ÇáÔÝÇÁ)¡ æÃÔåÑ ßÊÈå Ýí ÇáØÈ ßÊÇÈ (ÇáÞÇäæä) æÝíå ÎáÇÕÉ ÝßÑå ÇáØÈí¡ ÔÇãáÇ ÂËÇÑ ÇáÅÛÑíÞ æÇáÚÑÈ¡ æÞÏ ÊÑÌã Åáì ÇááÇÊíäíÉ Ýí ÇáÞÑä ÇáËÇäí ÚÔÑ ááãíáÇÏ æØÈÚ ÓÊ ÚÔÑÉ ãÑÉ Ýí ÇáÞÑä ÇáÎÇãÓ ÚÔÑ¡ æßÇä ãÇÏÉ ÊÚáíã ÇáØÈ Ýí ÌÇãÚÇÊ ÃæÑæÈÇ ÍÊì ÃæÇÎÑ ÇáÞÑä ÇáÓÇÈÚ ÚÔÑ.

ÃãÇ ãÕäÝÇÊå ÇáÃÎÑì ÝßËíÑÉ ÊÑÈæ Úáì ÇáãÇÆÉ æãäåÇ ßÊÇÈ (ÇáÅÔÇÑÇÊ æÇáÊäÈíåÇÊ)¡ æßÊÇÈ (ÃÓÑÇÑ ÇáÍßãÉ ÇáãÔÑÞíÉ) æ (ÑÓÇáÉ Íí Èä íÞÙÇä)¡ æåí ÛíÑ ÑÓÇáÉ ÇÈä ÇáØÝíá ÇáãÓãÇÉ ÈåÐÇ ÇáÇÓã¡ æßÊÇÈ (ÃÓÈÇÈ ÍÏæË ÇáÍÑæÝ) æÑÓÇÆá Ýí ÇáÍßãÉ æÇáØÈíÚíÇÊ

æÇÈä ÓíäÇ ãÍÓæÈ Úáí ÇáãÚÊÒáÉ æÇáãÚÊÒáÉ åã ÇÕÍÇÈ ÇáãäåÌ ÇáÚáãí æÇáãäåÌ ÇáÚÞáí Ýí ÇáÇÓáÇã æåã ÇáÐíä ãåÏæÇ ÇáØÑíÞ ÇãÇã ÙåæÑ ÝáÇÓÝÉ ÇáÇÓáÇã æÚáãÇÆå ãä ÃãËÇá ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æÇáÑÇÒí æÇáÝÇÑÇÈí ÈÞæáåã ÈÇáÓÈÈíÉ.. Ãí ÇÑÊÈÇØ ÇáäÊÇÆÌ ÈÇáÃÓÈÇÈ æ åæ ÌæåÑ ÇáãäåÌ ÇáÚáãí.

åÐÇ æÞÏ äÔÑ ÇáãÚÊÒáÉ ÌæÇ ãä ÇáÚÞáÇäíÉ æÇáÍÑíÉ ÇáÝßÑíÉ áÇ ÊßÇÏ ÊÈáÛå ÍÊí ÇáÏæá ÇáÛÑÈíÉ ÍÇáíÇ æÞÏ ÇÏÊ åÐå ÇáÑæÍ ÇáÚÞáÇäíÉ æ ÇáÊí ÏÚãÊåÇ ÍÑßÉ ÊÑÌãÉ Úáæã ÇáÍÖÇÑÇÊ ÇáÃÎÑí Çáí ÚÕÑ ãä ÇáÊäæíÑ ÇáÚÞáí æ ÇáÍÑíÉ ÇáÝßÑíÉ ÓÈÞ ÚÕÑ ÇáäåÖÉ Ýí ÇæÑæÈÇ æÝí åÐÇ ÇáÚÕÑ ÙåÑ ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æÇáãáÞÈ ÈÇáãÚáã ÇáËÇäí ÈÚÏ ÇÑÓØæ.. æ ÈÇáÑÛã ãä ÇáÎÕæãÇÊ ÇáÞæíÉ ÇáÊí ÊÚÑÖ áåÇ ãä ÇáãÊÚÕÈíä ÝÃäå ÊÑß ÈÕãÇÊ ÞæíÉ Úáí ÚÕÑå æÇáÚÕæÑ ÇáÊÇáíÉ æáÇ íÌÏ ÇáãÊÚÕÈæä Çáíæã ãä íÝÎÑæä Èå Ýí ÇáØÈ ÛíÑ ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æ ÇáÑÇÒí ÑÛã Çä ßá ÇÏÈíÇÊåã ÊÚÊÈÑåã åã æ ÇáãÚÊÒáÉ ãä ÇáÒäÇÏÞÉ åÐÇ Çä áã íßÝÑæåã.

æãä ÇáÃãËáÉ Úáí ÔÌÇÚÉ ÇÈä ÓíäÇ ÇáÝßÑíÉ ÇáÊí íÝÊÞÏåÇ ÇáßËíÑæä Çáíæã Þæáå Çä ÇáÓÚÇÏÉ æ ÇáÃáã Ýí ÇáÚÇáã ÇáÂÎÑ áåãÇ æÌæÏ ÑæÍí ÈÍÊ íÊæÞÝ Úáí ãÏí ÇÓÊÎÏÇã ÇáÇäÓÇä Çæ ÚÏã ÇÓÊÎÏÇãå áÞæÇå ÇáÑæÍíÉ æ ÇáÐåäíÉ æÇáÈÏäíÉ ãä ÇÌá ÇáæÕæá Çáí ÇáßãÇá Ýí ÍíÇÊå ÇáÃæáí.. æßã ÊÈÏæ åÐå ÇáäÙÑíÉ ãÎÇáÝÉ ááÝßÑ ÇáÓáÝí Úä ãÇÏíÉ ÇáÌäÉ æÇáäÇÑ æÇáÊí ÍæáåãÇ ÇáÈÚÖ ãäåã Çáí Ýíáã ÑÚÈ Çæ Ýíáã ÈæÑäæ.

ÊÎíáæÇ áæ ÌÇåÑ ÇÍÏ ãä ÇáãÓáãíä Çáíæã ÈãÇ ÌÇåÑ Èå ÇÈä ÓíäÇ ãäÐ ÇßËÑ ãä ÇáÝ ÚÇã Úä ÝßÑÊå Úä ÇáÌäÉ æÇáäÇÑ.. ÝãÇÐÇ íßæä ãÕíÑå¿ ÇÞá ÔíÁ ÇÎÑÇÌå ãä Çáãáå áÃäå ÃäßÑ ãÇ åæ ãÚáæã ãä ÇáÏíä ÈÇáÖÑæÑÉ ããÇ íãåÏ ÇáØÑíÞ Çáí ÞÊáå ÈÏãÇÁ ÈÇÑÏå Úáí íÏ ÝÊí ãÊÍãÓ íÚÊÞÏ ÈÚãáå åÐÇ Çäå ÇáØÑíÞ Çáí ÇáÌäÉ æ ÍæÑ ÇáÚíä.

áÞÏ ÍáÞ ÇáÃÓáÇã Ýí ÚÕæÑ ÇáÃÒÏåÇÑ¡¡ ÇáÊí íÐßÑäÇ ÈåÇ Çáíæã ÇäÕÇÑ ËÞÇÝÉ ÇáäÞá æÇáÊáÞíä ãÊäÇÞÖíä ÈÐáß ãÚ ÇäÝÓåã¡¡ ÈÓÈÈ ÇáÍÑíÉ ÇáÝßÑíÉ æ ÇáÚáãíÉ ÇáÊí ÊãÊÚ ÈåÇ ÝáÇÓÝÉ ÇáÇÓáÇã æÍßãÇÆå æ ãÊßáãíå.

ÝãÇÐÇ ÍÏË.. áãÇÐÇ ÊæÞÝ åÐÇ ÇáÊÞÏã æ ÈÏÃäÇ ÇáÇäÍÏÇÑ¿

áÞÏ ÍÏË Ðáß ÚäÏãÇ ãÇÊÊ ÍÑíÉ ÇáÝßÑ æ ÃÛáÞ ÇáãÓáãæä ÚÞæáåã æ ÇÕÈÍ ÇáÊÝßíÑ ÊÎÑíÝ æÌÑíãÉ íØÇÑÏ ãÑÊßÈåÇ ÈÇÔÏ ÇáÇÊåÇãÇÊ æÇááÚäÇÊ æÞÏ äÇá ÇáÈÚÖ ããä íßÊÈæä åäÇ ÈÚÖåÇ.

Ýãä åæ ÇáãÓÆæá Úä ãæÊ ÍÑíÉ ÇáÝßÑ æÇäÊåÇÁ ÚÕæÑ ÇáÃÒÏåÇÑ Ýí ÇáÇÓáÇã¿

Çäå ÍáÝ ÇáÍßÇã æÝÞåÇÁ ÇáÓáØÉ ÇáÐíä ÇäÊÕÑæÇ áËÞÇÝÉ ÇáäÞá æÇáÊáÞíä æÓãæÇ ÇäÝÓåã ÇÊÈÇÚ ÇáÓáÝ ÇáÕÇáÍ.. æÐáß áÃä ÇáÚÞá æÇáÊÝßíÑ íäÊÌ ãÚÇÑÖíä áäÙã ÇáÍßã ÇáÙÇáãÉ æÇáÊí ÊÑÊÏí ËæÈ ÇáÏíä áÞåÑ æÇÓÊÚÈÇÏ ÇáÔÚæÈ æÞÇáæÇ Úä ÇÑÓØæ¡¡ íÌÈ ÊßÝíÑå æÊßÝíÑ ãÊÈÚíå ãä ãÊÝáÓÝÉ ÇáÇÓáÇãííä ßÇÈä ÓíäÇ æ ÇáÝÇÑÇÈí æÇãËÇáåã¡¡ åÐÇ åæ ÑÇí ÇáÛÒÇáí ÕÇÍÈ ßÊÇÈ ÇÍíÇÁ Úáæã ÇáÏíä Ýí ÇÈä ÓíäÇ ÇáÐí áã äÌÏ ãä äÝÎÑ Èå Ýí Úáã ÇáØÈ ÇáÇ åæ æ ÇáÑÇÒí áäØáÞ ÇÓãå Úáí ãÓÊÔÝíÇÊäÇ.. ãäÊåí ÇáÊäÇÞÖ ÑÛã Çä ÇáÛÒÇáí áÇ íÚÊÈÑ ãä ÇáÛáÇÉ Èá ãä ÇáãÚÊÏáíä æãÍÓæÈ Úáí ÇáÇÔÇÚÑÉ.

áíÓ áÏíäÇ ãÇäÚ ãä ÊßÝíÑ ÇÑÓØæ Ýåæ áã íßä ãÓáãÇ ÇÕáÇ æÞíãÊå ÇáÍÖÇÑíÉ áä ÊäÞÕ Ýí ÇáÚÇáã ÇÌãÚ æÓÊÙá ÈÇÞíÉ ÇÑÏäÇ Çã áã äÑÏ æáßä ÇÈä ÓíäÇ æÇáÝÇÑÇÈí áã äÌÏ ÛíÑåã áäÝÎÑ Èåã Ýí ãÌÇá ÇáØÈ æÇáÚáã æÑÛã Ðáß ßÝÑåã ÇáÓáÝíæä Ýí ÇáãÇÖí.

æÇáæÇÞÚ Çä ÇáÎØÑ ÇáÇßÈÑ ááÓáÝííä áíÓ ãÇ íÞæáæä æ íÑæÌæä áå æáßäå ÇÓáæÈ ÇáÊßÝíÑ æ ÇáÇÑåÇÈ æ ÇáãÕÇÏÑÉ æÇÓÊÚÏÇÁ ÇáÓáØÇÊ æ ÇáÚÇãÉ Úáí ßá ãä íÝßÑ Çæ íÞæá ÑÃíÇ ãÎÇáÝÇ.. ÝÇÖØÑ Çä íÊæÇÑí ÎæÝÇ ÇáßËíÑæä ããä íÓÊÚãáæä ÚÞæáåã Çæ íáÌÃæä Çáí ÇáÑãÒíÉ ÝíãÇ íßÊÈæä.

æãä ÇáÇãËáÉ ÇáÊí ÊÈÚË Úáí ÇáÇÓí æÇáÊí áÇ íÚÑÝåÇ ÇáßËíÑ ãä ÇáãÓáãíä Çáíæã æÇáÊí ÊÏá Úáí ãÇ íãßä Çä íÄÏí Çáíå ÇáÊÚÕÈ.. åæ Çä ÇáãÊÚÕÈíä ãä ÇáÍäÇÈáÉ (ÇáÓáÝíÉ Çáíæã) ÇÏÚæ Úáí ÇÈä ÌÑíÑ ÇáØÈÑí ÇáßÝÑ æÇáÇáÍÇÏ æ ÍÇÕÑæå Ýí ÈíÊå ÍÊí ÏÝä Ýíå æßáäÇ äÚÑÝ ãä åæ ÇáØÈÑí ÇáãÄÑÎ æ ÇáãÝÓÑ ÇáãÔåæÑ æÞíãÊå ÇáÚáãíÉ.

æÇáÓáÝíÉ íÚíÈæä Úáí ÇáÔíÚÉ Ûáæåã Ýí ÍÈ ÃÆãÊåã æÞæáåã Çäåã ãÚÕæãæä æíÚíÈæä Úáí ÇáÕæÝíÉ Ûáæåã Ýí ÍÈ ÇæáíÇÁ Çááå æáßäåã íãÇÑÓæä ÇÔÏ ÇäæÇÚ ÇáÛáæ Ýí ÊÞÏíÓ ÃÆãÊåã ãËá ÇÈä ÍäÈá æ ÇÈä ÊíãíÉ æÇÈä Þíã ÇáÌæÒíå æãËÇá Úáí Ðáß Þæáåã ãä ÇÈÛÖ ÇÈä ÍäÈá Ýåæ ßÇÝÑ æÇÐÇ ÍÇæá ÇÍÏäÇ Çä íäÇÞÔ Çæ íäÊÞÏ ÈÚÖ ÇÑÇÁ ÇÍãÏ Çæ ÇÈä ÊíãíÉ áæÌÏ ÓáÇÍ ÇáÊßÝíÑ ÌÇåÒÇ áßí íÔÑÚ Ýí æÌåå æÇÓÊÚÏÇÁ ÇáÚÇãÉ ÇáÛíæÑíä Úáí Ïíäåã ÈÏæä ÈíäÉ Úáíå áíÌÏ äÝÓå Ýí ÇáäåÇíÉ ãÐÈæÍÇ Çæ Úáí ÇáÇÞá ãäÈæÐÇ Ýí ÇáãÌÊãÚ¡

æáÇ íÓÚäí Ýí ÇáäåÇíÉ ÇáÞæá ÇáÇ Çä ÇáÇÓáÇã ÌÇÁ ÑÍãÉ æåÏÇíÉ ááÚÇáãíä ÝÌÚáå ÇáÛáÇÉ æÇáãÊÚÕÈæä ÚÐÇÈÇ Úáí ÇáãÓáãíä

ÝÇäÞÐäÇ íÇÑÈ ããä íÏÚæä ÇáÊÍÏË ÈÇÓãß ÙáãÇ æ ÚÏæÇäÇ ÇãÇ ÃÚÏÇÄäÇ ÝäÍä ßÝíáæä Èåã.

dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
quote:
Listen you jackass, stupid ass and mindless IDIOT, this topic relates more to Egypt, than your illogical Al Qaeda beheading crap. Just back off, you low life!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 26 June 2004).]

Go f*** yourself. Illogical Al Qaeda beheading crap? You can't even use words in the proper context, it's no wonder you have problems comprehending what you read. Yela ingel3 yal mas5hara, your not even capable of admitting you made a mistake, siginik yahil wa wa7id 3nd moshakil nafseeya.

supercar
unregistered

quote:
Go f*** yourself. Illogical Al Qaeda beheading crap? You can't even use words in the proper context, it's no wonder you have problems comprehending what you read. Yela ingel3 yal mas5hara, your not even capable of admitting you made a mistake, siginik yahil wa wa7id 3nd moshakil nafseeya.

You need to go f*** yourself, and get some brains while you are it. You can't even determine a simple matter as to why the title " Should women wear a veil?" relates more to "living in Egypt" than the news, " A South Korean was beheaded by Al Qaeda pigs". Has it been said in the news that Egyptians were responsible for this horrible act? I have yet to hear that. Until then, I'll stick to my point. You are the one, who needs a reality check.

dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
quote:
You need to go f*** yourself, and get some brains while you are it. You can't even determine a simple matter as to why the title [b]" Should women wear a veil?" relates more to "living in Egypt" than the news, " A South Korean was beheaded by Al Qaeda pigs". Has it been said in the news that Egyptians were responsible for this horrible act? I have yet to hear that. Until then, I'll stick to my point. You are the one, who needs a reality check.

[/B]

Determine a simple matter??? Some brains???
Yakhi use words in their proper context, you can't get any more pathetic than you already are. Do your country a favour and jump in front of a moving vehicle.

supercar
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Determine a simple matter??? Some brains???
Yakhi use words in their proper context, you can't get any more pathetic than you already are. Do your country a favour and jump in front of a moving vehicle.

Why don't you do 'humanity' a favour by jumping in front a moving vehicle. Surely, your mentality shows that you are at least capable of doing such an irrational thing! Like you described yourself in the above quote: "Yakhi use words in their proper context, you can't get any more pathetic than you already are." It looks like a pretty explicit self-description!

El Kadafi
Member # 4193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Kadafi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Muslim feminists defend and wear the hijab...BUT. Just because you wear hijab you can still be a dirty skank like most white girls, and just because you don't wear one doesn't mean you're not modest. However, the Muslim woman who sincerely wears the hijab will be rewarded for her faith. if God chooses.

quote:
Honestly, are you trying compare nuns with ordinary women in the Arab or Muslim world? Nuns are a small group of people associated with religious services, and spend most of their time in churches or other associated religious institutions. It is their profession, and as such they are required to wear those clothes. The women here (Muslim women) aren't nuns, nor do they make it their life commitment to provide religious services to others. They wear this thing throughout their daily lives. How you can make a comparison between a few religious services officials, and the common woman throughout the muslim world is interesting, to say the least! Besides what is your point by claiming that nuns wear hijabs? Just because I didn't mention them, doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that they wear one. I made my earlier comment, using Muslim women in the Arab world as an example. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are the only ones who do so. By the way, do you see almost every woman in the streets of Europe or America wear hijabs all the time, and where ever they go? Well, that is the case in most Middle Eastern countries. That is why I used them as an example.

Most people are half-way Christian for a few hours on Sundays, Muslims are Muslims ALL THE TIME. Even Virgin Mary covered her head, was she also as wrong as Islam? The non-Muslims who feel so insecure about Islamic values and feel the need to attack us are childish.

There is also a saying in the Quran which states Christians and Jews will never be happy with Muslims unless we think walk talk and act like them. Maybe if we became like Holland where having sex is a greeting, we would be able to please your lot! Pleasing other ignorant kaffir is for Arab governments to worry about, not the Muslims.

People hostile to Islam are also hostile to the concept of brotherhood, therefor hostile to their own likes and kin...Just look at you and "dajjal-supreme" bickering. Why don't you two just get a room and treat yourselves American military style? Faggots...

You all keep judging people you have nothing to do with when you have so much fucked up incidents in your own world. You can surf the net all you want to post antagonize Muslims, go do it all day long. You're not changing anything about Islam or Muslims. You're just trying to ease your insecurity by putting it out, you pussies can't even scratch us hard.

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with you El Kadafi.

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My my EK, somedody has rattled your chains again!!

Cassia - I liked the joke about the Fatwa, there is not need to say sorry. The humour appealed to me. It was me that said I was collecting them in the first place. That was because I had one thrown at me on another line. The mantlepiece will collapse if I get any more as the burden of them is heavy (metaphorically). Salam Rushdie went into hiding for years when he had one thorwn at him.

I can rattle them while I'm hanging up by my waist length hair for eternity.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 26 June 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by El Kadafi:
Most Muslim feminists defend and wear the hijab...BUT. Just because you wear hijab you can still be a dirty skank like most white girls, and just because you don't wear one doesn't mean you're not modest. However, the Muslim woman who sincerely wears the hijab will be rewarded for her faith. if God chooses.

Most people are half-way Christian for a few hours on Sundays, Muslims are Muslims ALL THE TIME. Even Virgin Mary covered her head, was she also as wrong as Islam? The non-Muslims who feel so insecure about Islamic values and feel the need to attack us are childish.

There is also a saying in the Quran which states Christians and Jews will never be happy with Muslims unless we think walk talk and act like them. Maybe if we became like Holland where having sex is a greeting, we would be able to please your lot! Pleasing other ignorant kaffir is for Arab governments to worry about, not the Muslims.

People hostile to Islam are also hostile to the concept of brotherhood, therefor hostile to their own likes and kin...Just look at you and "dajjal-supreme" bickering. Why don't you two just get a room and treat yourselves American military style? Faggots...

You all keep judging people you have nothing to do with when you have so much fucked up incidents in your own world. You can surf the net all you want to post antagonize Muslims, go do it all day long. You're not changing anything about Islam or Muslims. You're just trying to ease your insecurity by putting it out, you pussies can't even scratch us hard.

You are obviously the pussy ignorant faggot here, making judgments about me when you haven't even carefully read the above quote, much less understand it. You may have come from the fucked up world, that you accuse me of. If you had carefully read the above quote as you pretendingly express here with your useless comment, you would have noticed that I wasn't criticizing anyone for wearing hijab. Nor was I criticizing anyone who doesn't. If you read through the thread, you would have come to that conclusion. I was merely answering someone's post that Muslim women aren't the only ones who wear hijab. I was trying to point out the difference between western women habits of wearing hijab and that of the Muslim or Arab world. I was emphasizing that it is not the same in those two worlds. Instead of asking people what they are saying in their comment, you just blindly put your own meaning to the words, and start using your foul language on people. If you don't know the meaning of my comment, all you needed to do was to simply ask me what I meant. It is as simple as that. But now that I know your mental capacity doesn't allow you to do that, I don't blame you.

Since you are incapable of reading through the entire thread to make a sound judgment, I will spoon feed to do this. Perhaps that will make you finally understand what is going on here.

This is how it all started:

Originally posted by meteora:
I've been thinking lately about the veil 'hijab'...very confusing!
should women wear it?
Its just another way of tying them up?

Reply by supercar:
It really is straight forward for those who are Muslims. According Muslims, it is about decency and respectability for women. Should they wear it? Well, personally I think it should be upto the women. If a woman feels comfortable in wearing a hijab, I see no reason why she shouldn't. On other hand, if she doesn't want to wear one, that should also be fine! Whether women wear hijabs or not, should not be a basis for respecting them. Women, like anyone else, should be treated on the basis of their individual personality! But I guess it's a cultural thing...who am I to judge.

Then the next exchange:

It really is straight forward for those who are Muslims. According Muslims, it is about decency and respectability for women. Should they wear it? Well, personally I think it should be upto the women. If a woman feels comfortable in wearing a hijab, I see no reason why she shouldn't. On other hand, if she doesn't want to wear one, that should also be fine! Whether women wear hijabs or not, should not be a basis for respecting them. Women, like anyone else, should be treated on the basis of their individual personality! But I guess it's a cultural thing...who am I to judge.

Reply by Katrina:
actually it is not just an islamic tradition of showing modesty by covering up but also understood and practiced by Christians as well. Nuns wear cover up too in Christianity. Christian Orthodox church requires a woman to wear a scarf to cover her head during church services

Then… I reply Katrina’s above comment:

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 24 June 2004).]

Reply by supercar:

Then Katrina’s answer to my reply…

Then my reply to Katrina’s…

Reply to Katrina by supercar:

So, you see, if you had thoroughly gone through the entire thread to understand what was going on here, you wouldn’t have jumped to that stupid conclusion you made. So if you can’t properly use the thread to make your conclusions, then put up or shut up!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 27 June 2004).]

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Supercar, Sorry for no time to reply to your questions. But if I were you, I honestly would not even spend any time to reply to El Kadafi's stuff...reasons? Well, you discoverd them yourself.

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 27 June 2004).]

Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having read all of these posts and the usual filth/inappopriate language on them, i have come to one conclusion..

It is all down to personal choice! and the person who should really be answering that question is a Muslim..what does a non-Muslim know about why we cover our heads. They see it as oppressive and degrading. No hadith literature, Quranic Ayat or personal experience will make any difference to them.
And i'm talking from personal experience too having a lot of non-Muslim family.

Lakom Deenakom wa Leyya Deen

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Supercar, Sorry for no time to reply to your questions. But if I were you, I honestly would not even spend any time to reply to El Kadafi's stuff...reasons? Well, you discoverd them yourself.

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 27 June 2004).]

Point well taken. We are on the same page on this one!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
He'll quieten down when the pills take effect.
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
He'll quieten down when the pills take effect.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Having read all of these posts and the usual filth/inappopriate language on them, i have come to one conclusion..

It is all down to personal choice! and the person who should really be answering that question is a Muslim..what does a non-Muslim know about why we cover our heads. They see it as oppressive and degrading. No hadith literature, Quranic Ayat or personal experience will make any difference to them.
And i'm talking from personal experience too having a lot of non-Muslim family.

Lakom Deenakom wa Leyya Deen

i dont know why non muslims see hajab is oppressive and degrading when the muslim women in Egypt have the choice of wearing it or not. I guess the reason is that they had a bad histroy with the chruch of oppressing the women and degrading them in the midevil times (as a result,they have the protestant) and this oppressation included women wearing something like haijab.

[This message has been edited by BahYBasha (edited 27 June 2004).]

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
quote:

So, you see, if you had thoroughly gone through the entire thread to understand what was going on here, you wouldn’t have jumped to that stupid conclusion you made. So if you can’t properly use the thread to make your conclusions, then put up or shut up!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 27 June 2004).][/B]

Why am I not surprised that a confusion is stirred when super car is involved?
Get your head checked before it's too late.

KlickonUSA
Member # 2776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KlickonUSA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my 2 cents. Muslim women (In fact Allah Azza wa Jal) the believing women are commanded in the Holy Quran to cover themselves.

So my answer to your question applies only to Muslim women. Non-muslim women are should follow the example of modesty and cover themselves as well. This is a vast question which could expand into whether "Should non-Muslim Women cover in Muslim countries?" However, this was not your question.

There is also difference as whether women should "veil" their faces. Covering the face is not mandatory. However, it is highly recommended and encourage.

Again just my 2 cents. I don't want to get involved with politics because your question is religious in nature.

May Allah Subahanahu Wa Ta'ala open up all of our hearts and shower the hearts with the Noor (light) of Hedieyat (Guidance) Ameen!

MaSalaam

Posts: 10 | From: Detroit, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all,

I have been reading this post and other similar over a period of one year. I am not going to enter in the debate as this issue has been exhaustively discussed on this forum. However, I have one comment and one observation to add,

1) Why hijab/veil is linked to modesty, purity and preserving chastity of women?

2) Why whenever the hijab issue is discussed, the first ones who jump into the discussions , trying to strengthen that hijab is a must and better for the women, are most likely MEN? Taking into consideration that this forum hosts more women then men!!

Why Men are so interested and so clear headed and decisive when it comes to women related issues i.e. Moslem women marrying non Moslem, wearing the hijab, and being a virgin. Yet, there are not that decisive and clear minded and aggressive when it comes to men related issues i.e. to virginity of the men and manners and behaviour ?

There is another parallel thread about Virgin groom, where the question is "Is a MUST for men to be a virgin at the wedding?". Although this thread is directly linked to manhood, and men modesty and preserving chastity , yet it attracted very little attention and received ONLY 10 replies, while this one received 93!!!! Men are not interested to discuss this topic , there rather discuss the hijab one!!!!

I am throwing the below hypothesis that many anthropologists and sexologists have been discussing before, Please do not shoot at me, just think about it for a second:

To what extend women and women's sexuality is linked to the honour of male and the whole community?

Why the issue of women wearing the veil or not is become a critical indicator for whether we are a good Moslem society or not?

In a patriarchal society, is women wearing veil, represent a society obeying GOD or a form of exercising an acquired power?

What is meant by women covering themselves? following "God's teaching" or a mean to excuse men from exercising more sexual control ?

It might seems a bit philosophical, but take a minute to think about it.
If you think this is pure rubbish, please discard it without shooting at me. If you want a intellectual discussion, I am up to it.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Mooly El Din (edited 28 June 2004).]

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Farhana;
I love your story!
I went through a phase where i just felt that enough was enough. It's too detailed to go into here but i started wearing longer skirts, looser shirts, avoiding certain places and people and eventually after quite a while, i had the desire to read more on my religion, take classes and eventually wear the hijab. I woke up one morning at Fajr, i prayed and sat on my prayer mat and said 'today is the day'.
I stood in front of the mirror for what seemed like hours with ONE scarf, trying it in different styles etc..etc..Wearing that hijab for the first time and walking through the streets, meeting my colleagues, breaking it to my family..took more confidence than walking into any crowded bar or club!
It's got to come from within..you've got to want to have a relationship with God, to be obedient, to want something more than the materialness of this world. I lived that life for long enough..now for me there's more and the hijab just kinda wrapped it up.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a woman raised with Christian believes it was taught at church that in historic times women wore veils to show their modesty. If I am correct in the new testament it states that a woman's hair would serve as her veil thus encouraging women nowadays to let their hair grow and not use short hair styles as those of men. Could this also be applied in Islam? Or is it the hair itself that needs to be covered in order to show modesty?
Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly The Intellectual Girl:
Dear all,

I have been reading this post and other similar over a period of one year. I am not going to enter in the debate as this issue has been exhaustively discussed on this forum. However, I have one comment and one observation to add,

1) Why hijab/veil is linked to modesty, purity and preserving chastity of women?

2) Why whenever the hijab issue is discussed, the first ones who jump into the discussions , trying to strengthen that hijab is a must and better for the women, are most likely MEN? Taking into consideration that this forum hosts more women then men!!

Why Men are so interested and so clear headed and decisive when it comes to women related issues i.e. Moslem women marrying non Moslem, wearing the hijab, and being a virgin. Yet, there are not that decisive and clear minded and aggressive when it comes to men related issues i.e. to virginity of the men and manners and behaviour ?

There is another parallel thread about Virgin groom, where the question is "Is a MUST for men to be a virgin at the wedding?". Although this thread is directly linked to manhood, and men modesty and preserving chastity , yet it attracted very little attention and received ONLY 10 replies, while this one received 93!!!! Men are not interested to discuss this topic , there rather discuss the hijab one!!!!

I am throwing the below hypothesis that many anthropologists and sexologists have been discussing before, Please do not shoot at me, just think about it for a second:

To what extend women and women's sexuality is linked to the honour of male and the whole community?

Why the issue of women wearing the veil or not is become a critical indicator for whether we are a good Moslem society or not?

In a patriarchal society, is women wearing veil, represent a society obeying GOD or a form of exercising an acquired power?

What is meant by women covering themselves? following "God's teaching" or a mean to excuse men from exercising more sexual control ?

It might seems a bit philosophical, but take a minute to think about it.
If you think this is pure rubbish, please discard it without shooting at me. If you want a intellectual discussion, I am up to it.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Mooly El Din (edited 28 June 2004).]

The first ones who answered here are(let's say 5) :

wedi
BahYBasha

Luxorlover

Farhana

nefertity's eyes

so mostly are women who are defending the idea if i remember well the content.

the percentage of men participating here is the same as the other thread about virgin groom.men made about 1/3 of 10 or 97.so that I find is normal.
men except pgagocyte made about 20 posts and most of them or half were comments not related to any arguments to defend hijab

Phagocyte and newcomer made a big amount of the thread here (27) posts and the interesting thing is phago who is aman is against hijab while the one who defended it was newcomer (woman)!

Also it seems to me that women who wear Hijab or are studying the issue did participate and speak for themselfs not waiting for men to talk for them like:

Farhana ,wedi meteora,nefertity...

So I don't see how your intellectual argument stands here?

P.S I wrote something in this thread about Hijab and while reading it again it's like I was drunk when I wrote it as I wrote something like the opposite of what I wanted to say,though I don't really drink.may be was just in mood.

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 28 June 2004).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And BTW it seems that only about 1 or 2 men defended the Hijab .

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
The first ones who answered here are(let's say 5) :

wedi
BahYBasha

Luxorlover

Farhana

nefertity's eyes

so mostly are women who are defending the idea if i remember well the content.

the percentage of men participating here is the same as the other thread about virgin groom.men made about 1/3 of 10 or 97.so that I find is normal.
men except pgagocyte made about 20 posts and most of them or half were comments not related to any arguments to defend hijab

Phagocyte and newcomer made a big amount of the thread here (27) posts and the interesting thing is phago who is aman is against hijab while the one who defended it was newcomer (woman)!

Also it seems to me that women who wear Hijab or are studying the issue did participate and speak for themselfs not waiting for men to talk for them like:

Farhana ,wedi meteora,nefertity...

So I don't see how your intellectual argument stands here?

P.S I wrote something in this thread about Hijab and while reading it again it's like I was drunk when I wrote it as I wrote something like the opposite of what I wanted to say,though I don't really drink.may be was just in mood.

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Luxorlover did not defend the hijab - I don't wear one.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com