EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » HIS PARENTS APPROVE -- SUCCESS STORY!!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: HIS PARENTS APPROVE -- SUCCESS STORY!!!!
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You stated that because you have been married for 1 1/2 years to an Egyptian you know about the culture. I simply asked you because you are married to an Egyptian why do you think your marriage is credible and someone that is going to get married is a no hoper. Because of age I think. I know from previous posts you are very anti.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not wanting to p*ss even further on your bonfire, but a "success story" is not a holiday, it comes when you've experienced the ins and outs of daily life together over a prolonged period. Phone calls and web chats are all very well, as are sweet words and princess treatment for short visits to his country, but the real true test of your relationship comes when you face the dull realities of daily life together, when you've seen him at his best - but also at his worst, his most homesick, his most desperate at not being able to find a job he deserves, how he misses his family, his home comforts, familiar food, etc etc...

I sincerely wish you all the best, but the real world is not coated in sugar, with fluffy bunny rabbits hopping around. Come back in 5, 10, or even 15 years time and then tell us about the success story - I'll even bake you a cake! [Big Grin]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said she had no hope. I only have a problem with the bold statement made after knowing the facts surrounding the relationship (his family not knowing about her until now after 3.5 yrs). It really has nothing to do with the ages of the parties involved.

I didn't say that because I was married for 1.5 yrs that I knew more about the culture than she did. I'm no authority, trust me, but I do know a thing or two.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amrssnowangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd Mother War...was it not u that said: "You do not know me in my "real" life. Don't judge based on a few in your face comments I've made." then u turned around and said " I just have a problem with someone making a bold statement like...his parents approve"

Soooooooooooo its ok for YOU to make a BOLD "in your face" comment...but u have a problem when others do it??? Hmm double standards at its finest. Im to take your bold comments, but I Make a BOLD comment and u have a problem...interesting

Posts: 100 | From: Fredericksburg, VA, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made the friggin statement lady..it's in the title of the damn thread. I didn't make it up in my head. Durrrrr.

By bold I mean assuming that your life is in fact a success. When I go around saying that about my life...feel free to tell me I'm a retard.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amrssnowangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and u missed the point I SAID they DID know OF me....over 3.5 years hard NOT to with our calls, net time, and such. They knew OF me but not that we were more than friends. BECAUSE...well im not going to justify it to YOU. Get your facts straight...i never said they knew NOTHING about me. Please...understand MW. They knew of me. I was never a secret. Just our love and future plans were till recently BECAUSE in this cullture DATING is not accepted. So we CHOSE to wait. So understand the FACTS surrounding this relationship FIRST.
Posts: 100 | From: Fredericksburg, VA, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

By you continuing to argue with me...you are trying to justify it to me (and everyone else here). [Razz]
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arms, thanks for trying to inject some positive posts into this forum by sharing your personal story.

On behalf of everyone, I apologize. But please understand that your story (for people who are familiar with egyptian culture and have lived in the country - not having relationships via internet with individuals) is doing nothing but sounding alarms. For us, your "success/love" story is as believable as Anna Nicole Smith really marrying that 80 year old grandpa* for love.

Maybe. But you gotta be a hopeless optimist and a romantic to believe it.

*not to suggest you're the grandpa, but in terms of child-bearing to your egyptian mother-in-law....well, pretty much.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
omg...i was just clarifying the point. Not justifying
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just accept that people here want to spoil any happiness you might have, theyre allowed happiness but not you.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, you have to have a pretty twisted, unrealistic view of the world and be in need of validation if you think a bunch of strangers on an internet forum are out to spoil your happiness.

seriously, young at heart? that's a cry for professional counseling if i ever heard one. best of luck to you, since you know. the world is against you and we're all trying to ruin your happiness too.

*rolling eyes in disbelief and logging off for another month from reality-challenged individuals*

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I don't think the world is against me actually. Because I say someone has happiness with someone from a different culture I'm unrealistic! Log off and roll your eyes else where.
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
ExptinCAI my response wasn't to you. I know you nor any other stranger will ruin my happiness. I wanted to actually thank you for the way you said your words.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

You're cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, lady.

Noone here is withholding happiness from you or anyone else. If y'all don't want ppl to pass judgement on you then keep your lives to yourselves. Don't post it all over a message board. Anything you post in public is up for grabs.

quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Just accept that people here want to spoil any happiness you might have, theyre allowed happiness but not you.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Iv'e defended someone who has only tried to put a positive view on egyptian men! you seem to want to do the opposite, when you should be agreeing being married to one yourself!
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I didn't say one negative thing about Egyptian men on this thread. My husband is a good guy but that doesn't qualify us for successful marriage status. Her point for this thread was to brag that her man finally introduced her to his family (over the phone no less) after 3.5 yrs and 3 trips to Egypt. You mean to tell me that within these 3 trips it never occurred to him to introduce her to his folks? He couldn't bring her by to say "hi" within those 3 yrs? I'd be embarrassed to admit that it took so long if I were the OP.
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys - we should run over to the pics section on here quick and see if we can find out how old amrs looks! Come on, let's go! I mean, there's 40s, and then there's 40s!
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I could care less how she looks. Looks don't mean a damn thing IMO.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I don't think she bragged. Just stated her situation. All situations are different. I met my inlaws and got on fine right away. but she is just happy that they know about her,maybe took a longer time but they know now!!
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
oh run to look at pic well how shallow is that! that will tell you everything bout her eh!
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I think mi feng was just trying to be silly.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
ok lets just call a truce, i dont like arguements!
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for nuttin' but 40's is not grandmanotabletohaveababy age people. Sorry but that just totally got me 'cause I'm 41 and plan on having one myself God willing. I know of at least three peeps in my little town here who are over 40 and have babies and they're just fine thankyouverymuch. My mom was in her 60's when I graduated high school and I never thought anything of it nor did my friends.

Just had to point that out to some.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first and only at 39, but it was a *rough road,* and I was very healthy beforehand. I would not recommend voluntarily waiting until late 30s or early 40s, but if this is how life plays out, then so be it. Many, many women have healthy, easy pregnancies in their 40s.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soma
Member # 12876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why you angry like that MI FENG , you have to be happy , is there are role for marry and age ? how old are you ? and how old your guy ?
you attack about what base ?
give her a break

Posts: 88 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin - Bokra Fil Mish Mish:
I had my first and only at 39, but it was a *rough road,* and I was very healthy beforehand. I would not recommend voluntarily waiting until late 30s or early 40s, but if this is how life plays out, then so be it. Many, many women have healthy, easy pregnancies in their 40s.

Oh I had mine at age 30 and 31, but hubby wants one since he doesn't have any of his own. It's all in Allah's hands but I just don't think it's unheard of though which is why I got miffed. I can see saying that about someone in their 50's but with modern medicine as it is today, having a baby in your 40's really isn't that shocking.

Glad you got through yours ok!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Thank you, Citizen.

It's sad to see grown mature women so desperate that they act like these Egyptian men are angels and that every word out of their mouths is the word of God. It's really sad.

How many times do we have to tell these "newbies" that they are being used????

OMG 42 and 25 is a really big difference. She has not even met his family? She talked to his mother on the phone....??? What "hello" "salam alakium". I am positive that she did not have a real conversation anddddddddddddddddddddddd he has made the story to his family sound all warm and fluffy. Like "she is 30ish" or something along those lines"

Hey did you meet him in Hurghada or Sharm or over the net?
Be prepared for a divorce after he gets his citizenship. Hope you are ready for that heartache.

Oh and by the way, before you start accusing me of not knowing about Egyptians etc... I have been married to one for 5 years, we did NOT meet in a tourist area, we have a child together AND we are the same age!

I just want to know when all these "success" stories will end? How many of them do we have to endure before someone gets the message?

Arrgh!

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Well, first off, im a young 40 sth in both look and spirit. Secondly, Snapdragon....Im NOt a newbie. I've been reading ES for 2 years now just never posted much. I did not meet him in sharm or hurghada, and who cares where we met. I can have a bad marriage or problems with someone I met in a bar or at a church. You dont' know him, you don't know me, don't be so fast to rush into judgment. Just because you are m arried to an Egyptian doesn't mean you KNOW mine. So what if you are the same ages with child. Why do ALL happy stores have to end in saddness? What makes yours so different that you can be happy with yours and some "newbie" can't? And for your information, I know enough Arabic to have a simple conversation, Including numbers, age and such. Im not a stupid woman, Im educated. you think I'd be with an Arabic for almost 4 years and NOT learn arabic? Not ALL situations are the same..dont generealize mine. Why can any "Older" man in a May-Dec relationship be happy, but not us women?

What does my age or appearance have to do with happiness. Who are you all to judge this?

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...angel, nobody's trying to spoil your happiness, that would be pretty evil, woudn't it.

It's just your definition of success is rather unusual. Most people regard a relationship as successful when it's well established, either through long years of marriage or sharing life together. You've barely begun yours, that's all, in fact I'd say you're waiting to begin yours, you're in the planning stages. I think you would agree if you take a step back and look at it objectively.

Also, from the practical point of view, if you read all the visa threads it seems to take years for people to get visas, even if married (which no longer seems possible in Egypt), and even if they have children together. That's all.

You may feel you're making good progress and good luck to you... but 'success' at this early stage is debatable - and we are debating!

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry's Sandra
Member # 13539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry's Sandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amrssnowangel:
Success is those things..but its also much more. EAch persons idea of success is different. Emerson said:

To laugh
often and much,
to win respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a
redeemed social condition;
to know even one life
has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

WAs he to wrong?

Angel, I'm one of those who appreciate you for sharing your story. For me, sucess is just as relative as happiness. There's no definite meaning and measurement. It depends on how the person view it. I admire your positive outlook in life. Well, life has no guarantee, isn't it? And if one stays optimistic about all things, I don't see anything wrong with that. I wish you all the best in your relationship [Smile]
Posts: 53 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by foolish_heart:
For me, sucess is just as relative as happiness. There's no definite meaning and measurement.

That's a good way of looking at it. [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissJambi
Member # 13261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissJambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course they;re gonna approve...you are the new meal ticket.
Posts: 229 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is he from? and what is his and his family's background? education? work and so on? this might help in understanding the situation
Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

It's funny that you mention about how some of these guys low ball their lady's age for the folks (and others). I know of that happening quite a bit. I know a lady of 50 who is married to an Egyptian of 26. She told me he was 33. Through the two of us, our husbands met. Well turns out that her husband is 26 since he told my husband that was his age. He told my husband that his wife was 30. LOL!!!! I heard from her own mouth that she is 50 and have seen pics to back this up. So my point is...these men may get involved with older women but many of them are ashamed of their ladies' ages.

quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Thank you, Citizen.

It's sad to see grown mature women so desperate that they act like these Egyptian men are angels and that every word out of their mouths is the word of God. It's really sad.

How many times do we have to tell these "newbies" that they are being used????

OMG 42 and 25 is a really big difference. She has not even met his family? She talked to his mother on the phone....??? What "hello" "salam alakium". I am positive that she did not have a real conversation anddddddddddddddddddddddd he has made the story to his family sound all warm and fluffy. Like "she is 30ish" or something along those lines"

Hey did you meet him in Hurghada or Sharm or over the net?
Be prepared for a divorce after he gets his citizenship. Hope you are ready for that heartache.

Oh and by the way, before you start accusing me of not knowing about Egyptians etc... I have been married to one for 5 years, we did NOT meet in a tourist area, we have a child together AND we are the same age!

I just want to know when all these "success" stories will end? How many of them do we have to endure before someone gets the message?

Arrgh!

MissJambi
Member # 13261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissJambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course they're gonna approve...you are the new meal ticket.
hehe
congrats...you've just been swindled.

im not being mean but come on now...he can have any younger hotter egyptian girl, but they can't offer as much as an older, more self established american broad holding the ticket to a green card.
the economy over there right now isn't very promising to a lot of people and they are running over here to get things done.
also, egyptian wives are letting their men go and marry americans they pull up off the web so he can make money and send it back home to her.
unless they ran out of women in egypt, their is no love filled, honest reason he needs to come ALL the way here to marry someone so much older than him.

come on girl wake up.

25 yr old egyptian men are only out to start a life and make money right now and you are his cash cow. i know its harsh but im telling you...ive been around these people for over 10 yrs and I see the sh*t that goes on. prepare to get cheated on, and spend many nights alone because he is 'working' hard.
trust me girl...it ain't for real.
my ex's brother was 21 when he married his then, 42 yr old wife. oh she was so in love...well, they are not too happy now and I finally broke her the news that every other week, the money they put together, he sends to this family in egypt and she didn't even know it. she thought he was saving it in a 'pyramid; system...but I found all of the western union receipts stashed in my attic with my ex hubby's stuff.
i recently found a gizillion arabic documents under my floor boards and had my new egyptian man translate them for me.
the stuff they thought they could hide!!!
she don't know her money went to buy a condo and sent his sis to school while her own kids went without.
im 27 and my ex is 29. one good reason we split up is because he hates having to care for a fmaily..he cant save up.
he is now with a 45 yr old very fat ugly cow with hairy moles greasy black and grey hair.
why???because she supports herself and he cant have kids with her.
he wouldnt let me go up to his business ... when I popped up, everyone was in shock and I heard them snickering..."thats his ex wife? oh my god!!! why would he leave a hot girl like that and end up with this fat slob??"
MONEY THATS WHY.

girl, dont marry this bum. it is the same story with all of these kind of men who overlook all the cute tails right there in egypt to snag a hag here in the states just to support his family.

Posts: 229 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys!
I am all full of baby right now, 47 days to go till my wee Prince of Egypt arrives. I'm so freaking full of baby that I dont' want to eat and am surviving on Orange Juice and Milk these days, and triple chocolate ice cream.. not that I'm complaining!

Amrs angel here is a little free advice from someone married close to 2 years, and mad for her man. (the original "Poor Guy.. from Giza")

There is an impression in Egypt about America that is inaccurate, and no amount of photos, explanitions and webchats are ever going to be able to accurately convey to Amr the true nature of living in a rural area such as Fredericksburg VA. He will arrive here thinking that the entire country is like LA or Vegas, He will look for the nightlife and the women. He will come to this country a very young 25 with no real experience or appreciation for a small life. He will resent not having access to money at the level he has been promised by the myth and media about America. You will be moving him to a VERY "country" town, and as an Arabic man he will be RIDICULOUSLY isolated, and as much as you want, you won't be able to meake him into a companion for several years. He will as a man of 25 NEED a social life, and as the new "tall dark and handsome" in town he will be set upon by women who won't care that he is broke and uneducated. What about health insurance? Driving a car? BUYING him a car? (I have now bought THREE in 3 years.. My Arab drives anything that isn't a BMW into the ground and then shrug) How will he get "pocket money"? Will you expect him to take care of your home while you work? Will he have to account for his time to you when you aren't together? Do you expect a traditional marriage? At 42 you have had a few relationships under your belt and are looking for a specific type of companionship, is a 25 year old man ready to bypass all those experiences? Are you willing to give him years to settle into his role? If Inshallah you have a child, how will it be supported? How amenable are you moving to a more urban area where he will have access to a greater community of Arabs? Who will pay the household bills? He will assume that since you have been paying them all along for yourself that he will have no responsibility to them, trust me. What hobbies do you two enjoy together? It is CRUCIAL to have outside interests that match, even if it is only bowling. He will get BORED and RESTLESS, and will need extensive education in order to survive in America. You will need to prepare him for a complete life here, and educate him on the laws and rules governing behavior. In Egypt, a speeding ticket is a a cash payment to a man on the side of the road, and parking tickets are forgettable. In America there is accountability on a much more impactful scale. What about casual drug use? Is that something you participate in or are preapred to enable and allow? You will for all intents and purposes supplant the role of parent for this man once he arrives, are you ready for that frustration?

Sure love is lovely, and god knows I am all RIDICULOUS about Himself, but... I am not asking you any questions that I haven't been forced to answer myself. I have often had the "put him out on his ass" fantasy. Many Egyptians know NOTHING about revolving credit and interest rates, they are unclear on the concept of paying both state and federal taxes. They will also try to haggle down the price of a mango in the grocery store! Don't even get me STARTED on the mess your dentist is going to find in his mouth. Just buy his ass some dental insurance tout suite!

I am not going to tell you that he will be stealing from you to secretly support someone back home, but you better heed the words of women who have gone before you (including me) that he will recieve ALOT of social and family pressure to send money back home. The guilt that is slathered on Himself about having so many neices and nephews who need their schooling paid for, or money for this or that is immense. The assumption is that once he sets foot in America, golden doves will drop bags on money near his feet. There really is NO accurate representation for him on what it really costs to mantain a median income here. You need to be more realistic in your daydreams and figure out exactly what portion of your lifestyle he will be responsible for, and how he will be able to earn it. Also what are your expectaions for his social needs? You can not put a young man in a "box" and expect them to be happy.

Being lonely is a terrible thing, and you have put up with some extraordinary conditions in order not to feel so lonely. You are right, you could go down the street and find a bad man to marry, but that isn't what you did. You are setting yourself up for something, but Im not sure what. Is it that once he arrives you will feel he CANT leave you? Is there a deeper issue of control at play? Who knows.. all I can say is that 25 year old men have a very different presepctive on the responsibility of long term relationships than women over 40. Sure you are a young 40's and your spirit is young... whatever. The facts are that at 40's you have a different set of life experiences and expectations and you may be setting yourself up for a HUGE project that ends in dissapointment.

Me? I'm hardheaded and eternally hopeful that Himself will cease placing his head in his own ass, and it seems to be working... but.. we are about to be first time parents, he is working full time, and going to college to finish a degree. AND I am RIDICULOUSLY hard to argue with.

Set clear in your own "constitution" what your expectations are and what His are. And know inside that he is going to try to tell you what He THINKS you want to hear.

Take care, and protect yourself, when you import them they are a little harder to move on from in the event it doesn't work out.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, i'm feeling left out so i thought i'd have my say...

you know amrssetc and young at heart, the reason that people react the way they do on here is because tales like these give many 'romantics' false hope. These internet relationships very rarely work and when you throw age differences and intercultural marriage into the mix the stakes get even higher. You have to look at why people are saying what they are, I know that you are clearly excited and wanted to share a 'success story' but in reality people are absolutely right, what you have now is a successful internet relationship, his parents have accepted his INTENTIONS to marry, so that part is successful too. But as of yet marriage and living together are a whole different ball game as i'm sure you know, throw in difficulties of concieving and you have more hurdles.

I sincerely hope that you do work out, but whether it is a successfull marriage remains to be seen i'm afraid, I truly hope yours is and so are all those others who are doing the same as you...i just wonder why they are not posting anymore? It could be that they have a life, but if i came on here and got the cynical response that some internet/holiday romance ladies get I would come on all guns blazing a few years and kiddies later...but where are they?

Good luck.

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travellady
Member # 13378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travellady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Im done...

this is sad...

I've been accused of needing validation...of cradle robbery...of not being a success in this relationship and all becuase i wanted to share a happy story??? You people are sad

Ignore them. Enjoy your happiness and don't let anyone drag you down.
Posts: 117 | From: Kuwait | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I think cosmo's post was very interesting. Showing the many pitfalls and problems, not just the usual hes after you for visa, money, sex whatever! It was very enlightening. And a reasoned response from you too Cat. People have to do what they feel happy with. If it works thats great, if not, it will hurt like hell but you have to move on. Personally I'll keep faith in my relationship. [Smile]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Odd Mother War...was it not u that said: "You do not know me in my "real" life. Don't judge based on a few in your face comments I've made." then u turned around and said " I just have a problem with someone making a bold statement like...his parents approve"

Soooooooooooo its ok for YOU to make a BOLD "in your face" comment...but u have a problem when others do it??? Hmm double standards at its finest. Im to take your bold comments, but I Make a BOLD comment and u have a problem...interesting

I personally know Mother War and I do think it has to do with age. MW is in a sane age bracket as her husband and she lives with him, you do not. Your chances of conceiving a child can't be that great, how old will you be by the time he arrives there and you can begin your family? You really want a child with a man young enough to be your son? I find that odd and disturbing, have you been married before, previous children, etc?

You might have 'suggested' he not tell his parents about you but that isn't the point, a decent Egyptian man would have insisted they know about you the entire time and would have never kept you hidden for the last few years, he would have insisted to have you meet his family when you were in their country the last three times and he would have had more respect for you than to let you assume that just because his parents approve that means you have success. Hardly....you are very naive for your age, I'm sorry to say.
But I do wish you luck, you never know...

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is a great post from Cosmo and really tells the realities for what so many ladies are planning to do.
What I don't understand though is if you have basically got to become a mother to these men to induct them into an American way of life how on earth do you keep the relationship in balance as husband and wife. Becoming mother and son will surely castrate an Egyptian man.

I currently have my (UK) 25year old nephew living with me and I have one the same age in Egypt, it is fascinating that there is actually not much difference to 25 year old men anywhere in the world LOL.......and oh boy can I swear I would not want to be married to one when I am in my 40's!.
Also as the Mum of a 19 year old I have to say it would break my heart if one day he told me at the age of 25 he was going to marry a woman in her 40's. Not because I am selfish but because I know all the things he was going to miss out on in life. Boys need to leave home at some point and find their own way in the world, they don't need to leave home from one mother and go to another one.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

I have to say it would break my heart if one day he told me at the age of 25 he was going to marry a woman in her 40's. Not because I am selfish but because I know all the things he was going to miss out on in life.

100% agreed
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is an forgotten aspect; I think many people are focoused to much on religious and cultural aspects in case of unequal relationships.
The kind of intercultural relationships that often are discussed here are unequal by defenition; in social level, in culture, in religion, in almost all.
I think there must be TWO families who`ll have their doubts in such cases.
And to be honest, when a woman is 42, and she has children, they will have the age to have their own opinion too. And I can imagine that they also will have their doubts when mummy comes home with the message that she wants to marry a foreigner in their age.
The family of the man will look at her with MUCH suspicion. And she always will stay foreign, as he will be to her family.
That`s why the mass of older women with such a relationship wants him to stay in his own country. She is well aware of the fact that she will be considered as something low-level by her own society.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
considered as something low-leval by her own society! Maybe youd like to expand on this.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it is also one of the results from that scientific research, where that, already discussed here, thesis has been written about.
One of the results was that older women, who are in a relationship with a much younger Egyptian man, prefer to do this for "as long as it lasts". And almost all the time it is a temporary relationship, because it is to problematic.
The women invest in this relationships, they often buy an appartment, sometimes a business, they are the ones who make the financial investements. From one side because they care, from the other side to keep him satisfied.
But getting him to her home-country means that she will be marked in a certain way; an older woman, often not able to get a partner in her own society ( and the Egy men are very well aware of that!)"buys" herself a young foreigner who is prepared to comfort her temporary for the sake of money. Just as older men with the young foreign brides, the same common opinion about them.
Everybody will think that it is only for the money, and have an opinion about these older people with their imported brides/husbands.

It seems that especially women want to avoid that.

The older people themselves know about these common opinion but usually think they married the one and only exception. And almost all come to the final conclusion everybody around was right...
It is a generalisation, but this is how the biggest part thinks/is...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is one of societies inequalities that in this situation what is viewed as Ok for a man being with a girl 20years his junior is not ok for a woman and I think that is partly because as women we have the role of mothers in society and hence that makes it more unacceptable to be with a man who is young enough to your son. Its just a fact more is expected of us. Be honest Young at heart would you be happy if it was your son?

With regard to the ladies from what I have seen there are 2 types, those that know exactly what they are doing and are happy to pay, all be it discretely covered up in flats & business for the man, they know it is something temporary and will enjoy it while it lasts.
Then there are the other type that delude themself that it is something real, and long lasting and that is often because of the game the man is playing and they can't face the facts staring them in the face no matter what anybody trys to tell them.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Ok, None of the people I know think I'm low Level. I know of situations where older women have spent lots of money on their Egyptian men, I'm not one of them. He has got his business by himself. I have to say as I have no children, no I don't know what it would be like if it was my son.I do know that my late mum was 14 years older than my dad, met when my dad was 18 and mum was 32. Big scandal in the 50's I suppose. They knew each other 10 years when they married, were married for 38 years, mum died first, dad 11 months later. They loved each other very much. I know it's different because they were from the same country, but age doesn't always have to matter. I'm certainly not deluded, I don't know what the future will bring, as does anybody, I just know my situation and it's not bad.
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what a thread. I feel battered and beaten and enlightened all at the same time. Anybody that can survive this should survive a marriage.
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Ok, None of the people I know think I'm low Level. I know of situations where older women have spent lots of money on their Egyptian men, I'm not one of them. He has got his business by himself. I have to say as I have no children, no I don't know what it would be like if it was my son.I do know that my late mum was 14 years older than my dad, met when my dad was 18 and mum was 32. Big scandal in the 50's I suppose. They knew each other 10 years when they married, were married for 38 years, mum died first, dad 11 months later. They loved each other very much. I know it's different because they were from the same country, but age doesn't always have to matter. I'm certainly not deluded, I don't know what the future will bring, as does anybody, I just know my situation and it's not bad.

There is a whole lot of difference between both relationships.
Be honest; suppose you have a brother from 45, and he is coming to tell you about his marriage with a poor uneducated 20 yr. old islamic friendgirl from Malesia, what do you think?
"She is a golddigger. She needs money and a passport"...

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I wouldn't pass judgement until I met and got to know her.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com