EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » IAM population, Natufians, Proto-Semitic, North African Component (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: IAM population, Natufians, Proto-Semitic, North African Component
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Perhaps if people would stop feeding the troll, he would starve and disappear. That's went back to actually discussing the topic of this thread since the troll is too dumb to realize he was debunked ages ago with sources that he keeps asking for!

Djehuti,

I specifically asked for a source showing hg J being introduced to the Levant/Mespotamia via a civilization other than the Kura-Araxes/Hurrian civilization -- via a civilization that was actually related to Hebrews in some form or fashion (since this is what you are heavily asserting was the case). If you can re-quote something you already posted that shows this, or even post a source that you have not posted yet, then I will personally apologize to everyone in this thread INCLUDING "the lioness".

Posts: 2491 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might ask somebody a question 3 times in a thread
but if I get still no answer I'll quit.
When a question is asked 10, 20 times etc in the same thread it becomes trolling harassment
It should be obvious they don't want to answer the question.
This is regardless of if the question is even valid or not

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
I might ask somebody a question 3 times in a thread
but if I get still no answer I'll quit.
When a question is asked 10, 20 times etc in the same thread it becomes trolling harassment
It should be obvious they don't want to answer the question.
This is regardless of if the question is even valid or not

Thank you for acknowledging that the source was never provided, so djehuti is lying and gaslighting when he says that he "already posted it".

We all know he never posted the source like how he claimed, so calling me a troll for exposing his lie is actually troll behavior in itself.

He literally just said again that he posted the source. Are you not reading his comments? You're only crying about what I post, right?

It's not "harassment" if djehuti keeps mentioning my name each time he posts, and keeps saying he "already debunked me and posted the source."

The fact that you would rather cry about me because I'm asking him to prove what he says, demonsrates even further what a biased hypocrite you are.

If that were me claiming to have posted a source when we all know I never did then you would be the first person calling me out for it and trying to make me look stupid. But since the person in this case (djehuti) isn't black, you could care less about him lying about posting a source.

Posts: 2491 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the trolling continues still..............
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ That's because Lioness keeps responding. The troll's questions were answered in the previous page but we know his cognitive dissonance won't allow him to address them.

Meanwhile, getting back to the topic again, the only autosomal components Neolithic Maghrebi and Natufians have in common is Ancestral North Africa, and Basal Eurasian.

Egypt is the link between them.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoStranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ That's because Lioness keeps responding. The troll's questions were answered in the previous page but we know his cognitive dissonance won't allow him to address them.

Meanwhile, getting back to the topic again, the only autosomal components Neolithic Maghrebi and Natufians have in common is Ancestral North Africa, and Basal Eurasian.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. It makes zero sense to me that Ancient Egyptians per the supposed "Old Kingdom" leak would be 90% Natufian/Basal Eurasian related.

If the Natufians themselves have ANA then the Ancient Egyptians HAVE to some ANA.

I personally believe when this is all said and done the Ancient Egyptians (Pre-Dynastic and Early Dynastic) will have a near equal mix of ANA/Basal Eurasian.

Posts: 58 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoStranger:
quote:

This is exactly what I've been thinking. It makes zero sense to me that Ancient Egyptians per the supposed "Old Kingdom" leak would be 90% Natufian/Basal Eurasian related.

If the Natufians themselves have ANA then the Ancient Egyptians HAVE to some ANA.

I personally believe when this is all said and done the Ancient Egyptians (Pre-Dynastic and Early Dynastic) will have a near equal mix of ANA/Basal Eurasian.

Natufians had quite a bit of ANA, so if we take the modeling of AE ancestry as predominantly “Natufian” literally, then some ANA will be included in that. Though I don’t think we are ready to estimate how much.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As Brandon pointed out, the problem is that Natufians are themselves a mixture of ANA, Basal Eurasian, not to mention some Anatolian admixture.

-

quote:
As Tukuler once explained:

Natufians are known to be crossbred. If the royal blue Anatoli element reps
Natufian 'Eurasian' parentage then surely the brown reps African heritage.

All the peoples below have only two or three major components.

Natufian: Erythrea Brown + Anatoli Royal Blue
Levant N: Erythrea Brown + Anatoli Royal Blue
AbusirEg: Erythrea Brown + Anatoli Royal Blue + Caucasus Sky Blue

Beduin B: Erythrea Brown + Caucasus Sky Blue + Anatoli Royal Blue
Teimani: Erythrea Brown + Caucasus Sky Blue + Anatoli Royal Blue
Saudi: Erythrea Brown + Caucasus Sky Blue + Anatoli Royal Blue

Beta Israel: Erythrea Brown + Volta-Niger Red + Hadza Steel
Somali: Erythrea Brown + Volta-Niger Red + Hadza Steel

-

Bronze Age Levant has less than 50% Erythrea and interjects the Maghreb geography
coming next. Other than that it'd be with the Levantine-Abusir brown/royal/sky set.

Though placed here for their majority brown, Beduin B, Yemenite Jew, and Saudi
would otherwise fit in the upcoming Mashreq brown/sky/ set.

Compare with Loosdrecht et al. 2018

-

According to Loosdrecht even the Anatolians were admixed including Hadza ancestry.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

In summation, djehuti was asked to provide a source showing hg J being introduced to the Levant/Mespotamia via a civilization other than the Kura-Araxes/Hurrian civilization -- via a civilization that was actually related to Hebrews in some form or fashion since this is what he claimed was the case for weeks.

Djehuti never showed a source demonstrating such, and even "the lioness" acknowledged djehuti never showed a source demonstrating such, yet he has repeatedly lied and claimed that he did, claims to have "debunked" me, and has been trying his best to get others to ignore me in hopes that this blunder of his can start to be forgotten as soon as possible.

I offered to apologize to everyone in the thread AND stop posting on this website altogether if djehuti could prove that he indeed posted the source as he repeatedly claims he did, but still, no answer from djehuti.

This is because he never posted such a source to begin with and is a gaslighting liar. He started the mess in this thread by mentioning my name and I finished it.

I will definitely be archiving this thread for future reference once the moderators lock it.

My sincerest apologies to all of the unbiased people here who actually have integrity.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ In short you are a lying idiot.

quote:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-85883-2

We show that this haplogroup [J1-M267] evolved 20,000 years ago somewhere in northwestern Iran, the Caucasus, the Armenian Highland, and northern Mesopotamia. *The major branch—J1a1a1-P58—evolved during the early Holocene 9500 years ago somewhere in the Arabian Peninsula, the Levant, and southern Mesopotamia.* Haplogroup J1-M267 expanded during the Chalcolithic, the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age. Most probably, the spread of Afro-Asiatic languages, the spread of mobile pastoralism in the arid zones, or both of these events together explain the distribution of haplogroup J1-M267 we see today in the southern regions of West Asia.

The imbecile hides behind his straw doll of Kura-Araxes Culture (c. 3,400 B.C. — c. 2,000 B.C.)

Kura-Araxes
 -

Yet he ignores the Halafian Culture (c. 6500 B.C. – c. 5500 B.C.), the Samarra Culture (c. 5500 B.C. - c. 4800 B.C.), and the Hassuna Culture (c. 5750 B.C. – c. 5350 B.C.)

-

All in the homeland of Abraham-- Ur (not to be confused with Sumerian Ur in southern Mesopotamia)

-

These were the Bronze Age cultures during the time of Abraham.

-

^ Note that the Eblaite Empire was comprised of Semitic speakers with the Eblaites themselves being East-Semitic speakers like the Akkadians. The Hebrews are West Semitic speakers.

This is the last time.
Tazarah
Member # 23365

^ and as I said before, that source simply gives general information about hg J but does not identify any specific J-carrying civilizations (who could be related to Hebrews) that brought J to the Levant/Mesopotamia.

And that is what I have very clearly been asking for.

I gave sources showing that the Kura-Araxes/Hurrian civilization (non-Hebrews) specifically brought J into the Levant/Mesopotamia.

You assert there were other civilizations who brought J to the Levant/Mesopotamia that could actually be related to Hebrews yet you still have shown no evidence of such.

"The lioness" must be lying on you too because he also acknowledged that you never provided such a source, regardless of whether or not you believed my line of questioning was valid:

-

In any case, we can agree to disagree at this point because I myself am tired of going in circles with you over this.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Egypt is the link between them. [/qb]

I personally believe when this is all said and done the Ancient Egyptians (Pre-Dynastic and Early Dynastic) will have a near equal mix of ANA/Basal Eurasian. [/QB]

-
Figure 2.
An admixture graph model of Paleolithic West Eurasians.

Paleolithic DNA from the Caucasus reveals core of West Eurasian ancestry
Iosif Lazaridis
, 2018

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/423079v1.full

^ The term ANA means "Ancient North Asian"

The above chart is the only science article where you'll "Ancestral North African"
The term is not used in the article other than on this chart and not as "ANA" either

He does use these other abbreviated terms>>

Post-glacial Near Easterners and North Africans (PGNE)

European and Siberian hunter-gatherers (ESHG)

‘Ancient North Eurasians’ (ANE)

Caucasus hunter-gatherers (CHG)

My thread on this term:

Topic: "ANA" means Ancient Northeast Asian not "Ancestral North African "

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply;f=8;t=010935;replyto=000000

What is ancestral North Africa?

Discovery of oldest Homo sapiens in Morocco rewrites human history
How long has our species been around? New fossils from Morocco push the evidence back by about 100,000 years.

The bones, about 300,000 years old, were unearthed thousands of miles from the previous record-holder, found in fossil-rich eastern Africa. The new discovery reveals people from an early stage of our species' evolution, with a mix of modern and more primitive traits.

Previously, the oldest known fossils clearly from Homo sapiens were from Ethiopia, at about 195,000 years old.

Aterian

The Aterian is a Middle Stone Age (or Middle Palaeolithic) stone tool industry centered in North Africa, from Mauritania to Egypt, but also possibly found in Oman and the Thar Desert.[2][3] The earliest Aterian dates to c. 150,000 years ago, at the site of Ifri n'Ammar in Morocco.[4] However, most of the early dates cluster around the beginning of the Last Interglacial, around 150,000 to 130,000 years ago, when the environment of North Africa began to ameliorate.[5] The Aterian disappeared around 20,000 years ago.

The Iberomaurusian is a backed bladelet lithic industry found near the coasts of Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. It is also known from a single major site in Libya, the Haua Fteah, where the industry is locally known as the Eastern Oranian.[note 1] The Iberomaurusian seems to have appeared around the time of the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM), somewhere between c. 25,000 and 23,000 cal BP. It would have lasted until the early Holocene c. 11,000 cal BP.

Marieke Van de Loosdrecht et al. (2018) did a full genome-wide analysis including Y-DNA from seven ancient individuals from the Taforalt site. The fossils were directly dated to between 15,100 and 13,900 calibrated years before present. All males at Taforalt belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1a1 (M-78).

23 individuals from the original 2005 Taforalt sample were determined in Kefi's 2016 article to be of the maternal genetic lineage U6 and of Eurasian haplogroups H, U, R0 and at the Algerian Afalou site maternal groups were JT, J, T, H, R0a1 and U.

Since they have not recovered the DNA of those much older fossils in Morocco and Aterians I would not use the term "Ancestral North African"
even though Lazaridis has that on the above chart

I think it's less vague to talk about
Iberomaurusian (Iberomaurusian)
This is implication of the above chart
You see the downstream of "Ancestral North African" are the Iberomaurusians at Taforalt Moerocco and (Afalou in Algeria)
and Taforalt was E1b1b1a1 (M-78) and Eurasian ancestry on the female side

It's not clear if Taforalt/Afalou paternal genetic ancestry goes all the way back to Aterians and these very old Moroccan skulls and it's unknown what the maternal ancestry of those older "Ancestral" people was
So "Ancestral North African" is unknown at this time

He also has "Basal Eurasian" in the chart mixed in
real populations with remains and "Basal Eurasian"
is hypothetical

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoStranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To piggy back off what the Lioness is saying the Lazaridis 2018 paper does seem to be the only publication I've seen that briefly uses the term "Ancestral North African" because even relatively newer publications such as "Paleogenomics North African" Summary paper back in 2021 by Fregel models Taforalt as Dzudzuana + Sub-Saharan NOT Ancestral North African.

-

Posts: 58 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ This was clarified in the 2018 Loosdrecht study.

-

LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
quote:
^ This was clarified in the 2018 Loosdrecht study.

-

Forgive my ignorance but I don't see how because Loosdrect also modelled Taforalt as being part Sub-Saharan (Mende) 36.5% she has never implied any sort of genetically divergent "Ancestral North African" DNA the way Lazaridis preprint did.
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nomenclature "Ancestral North African" was spotted by the QPgraph of Lazaridis, it isn't used in text. Loosdrecht never investigated a possibility of local ancestry but the results of lazaridis have been replicated. See Ghost North African in this study.

Also from this point on it is generally accepted though seldomly reported that those North African samples are a product of a mixture of local North African ancestry and an unknown west Eurasian source.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

@LoStranger

If you look at the various genetics articles mentioning North Africa
what they always seem to do is classify people of E1b1b as North African/Horn

And "Sub-Saharans" as
A
B
E1b1a
E1a
E2

So according to this model "Ancestral North African" it would be fair to assume that is synonymous with E1b1b carrier

Lazaridis does not abbreviate that to ANA
Somebody did that on a blog and now it has stuck as a tend here at ES. Lazardis didn't even have the whole thing spelled out "Ancestral North African" in the article

But anyway, if you hear people talk about "ANA"
think E1b1b people

I'm not saying this is the right way to look at things but this is how geneticists are talking about this stuff currently, that E1b1b is not of "Sub-Saharan" people
and they exclude Horn Africans as Sub-Saharans even though many are geographically "Sub-Saharan"
They do this because they see E1b1b as a continuum
from the horn up into North Africa

What about the much older Aterians and archaic Moroccans ?
Their DNA is unknown
So to use the word "Ancestral" is malleable

What came before E1b1b
and E1b1a ?

It was E1b1
no "a" or "b" at the end

On this map that would be at the point 9 above
Ancestral North African and Mota

So if you think of ANA as E1b1b
it makes these terms less mysterious

LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
The nomenclature "Ancestral North African" was spotted by the QPgraph of Lazaridis, it isn't used in text. Loosdrecht never investigated a possibility of local ancestry but the results of lazaridis have been replicated. See Ghost North African in this study.

Also from this point on it is generally accepted though seldomly reported that those North African samples are a product of a mixture of local North African ancestry and an unknown west Eurasian source.

The West-Eurasian source is Dzudzuana related and has been cited now by both Lazaridis 2018 and Fregel 2021.
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The West-Eurasian source is Dzudzuana related and has been cited now by both Lazaridis 2018 and Fregel 2021.
Fregel 2021?

The west Eurasian source is unknown.

Dzudzuana is as good of a west Eurasian ancestor for Taforalt as Mbuti is an Afican one. Also see the explanation provided by Lazaridis for the WHG-related West Eurasian ancestry not only in Taforalt but in Natufians and Dzudzuana for context. Dzudzuana could be interchangeable with Natufians for example.

quote:
“Western” Near Eastern populations, including Dzudzuana from the Caucasus, belonged to a cline of decreasing Villabruna/increasing deep ancestry: Villabruna → Dzudzuana/Anatolia_N → PPNB → Natufian → Taforalt
 -
https://i.postimg.cc/CLKnRCbm/lazaridis2018.png

And here's a replication of the method used in the Lazaridis preprint using Pinarbasi epipaleolithic in place of Dzudzuana as a donor. See my comments here for why I used pinarbasi
qpAdm
code:
test       S1          S2                chisq        p-value      S1        -S2-
Taforalt Mbuti TUR_Pnarba_EpiP 2.764 0.736264 0.508 0.492
Taforalt Mbuti Natufian 1.194 0.945463 0.314 0.686

Notice ^ Natufians have a better fit.

For further clarity, the methodology in the Dzudzuana preprint allowed for Dzudzuana to provide the best fit given an absence of the African or "basal Eurasian" Ancestor in all tested populations. Therefore if Dzudzuana simply shared Deep ancestry with Taforalt they will provide some of the best fits. This is why Pinarbasi also works in this context. If Natufians were used they would likely provide a better fit. But look at what is stated when a decent group of Africans and used in the reference set(outgroups)

quote:
AllAfrican: Mbuti, South_Africa_HG20, Mota21, Yoruba3, Ust_Ishim, Tianyuan, Onge, Han, Papuan, Kostenki14, GoyetQ116-1, Sunghir3, Vestonice16, MA1, AG3, Villabruna, Dzudzuana, Taforalt, Natufian
The Early Neolithic samples from Morocco could be modeled as a simple clade with Taforalt (p=0.06). All the ones that could be modelled as mixtures of Villabruna/Dzudzuana+Basal Eurasian in the previous analysis using the All set could also be modeled using the AllAfrican set (Table S3.5).

Taforalt could not be modeled as any 2-way mixture. The best model involving Natufians and an African population (Yoruba) could still be strongly rejected (p=2.7e-13). Taforalt could also not be modeled as a 3-way mixture. However, Natufians could be convincingly modeled as a 2-way mixture of ~86% Dzudzuana and ~14% Taforalt (p=0.405) with small standard errors of 1.9%. Thus the affinity between Natufians and Taforalt described in ref.15 may have come about by admixture from a North African/Taforalt-related population into Natufians, rather than by admixture in the opposite direction.

10.1101/423079 see extended preprint
Natufians provided the best fits in a Failed model, Dzudzuana included.

The West Eurasian source is ultimately unknown. We have hints here and there but there's a reason why this study is still in preprint.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Elmaestro

Which aDNA sample right now would you say represents the purest or most basal West Eurasian? As in, a sample that postdates the West/East Eurasian split, but lacks post-OOA African (including BE) admixture altogether?

I feel that, if someone claimed that ancient Egyptians or some other ancient North African population had mostly West Eurasian ancestry like a large chunk of the anthro fandom does, they would have to show that most of their ancestry could be traced to a source similar to the most basal West Eurasians instead of something like BE. Likening those ancient North Africans to samples we know have a lot of BE and ANA wouldn't be enough for such people.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
wiki

Basal Eurasian

A study by Lazaridis et al. in 2014 demonstrated that modern Europeans can be modelled as an admixture of three ancestral populations; Ancient North Eurasians (ANE), Western Hunter-Gatherers (WHG), and Early European Farmers (EEF).[2] This same study also showed that EEFs harbour ancestry from a hypothetical non-African 'ghost' population which the authors name 'Basal Eurasians'. This group, who have not yet been sampled from ancient remains, are thought to have diverged from all non-African populations c. 60,000 to 100,000 years ago, before non-Africans admixed with Neanderthals (c. 50,000 to 60,000 years ago) and diversified from each other. A second study by Lazaridis et al. in 2016 found that populations with higher levels of Basal Eurasian ancestry have lower levels of Neanderthal ancestry, which suggests that Basal Eurasians had lower levels of Neanderthal ancestry compared with other non-Africans. Another study by Ferreira et al. in 2021 suggested that Basal Eurasians diverged from other Eurasians between 50,000 and 60,000 years ago, and lived somewhere in the Arabian peninsula, specifically the Persian Gulf region, shortly before proper Eurasians admixed with a Neanderthal population in a region stretching from the Levant to northern Iran

Possible geographic origins
Basal Eurasians may have originated in a region stretching from North Africa to the Middle East, before admixing with West-Eurasian populations.[3][4][5][6][7] North Africa has been described as a strong candidate for the location of the emergence of Basal Eurasians by Loosdrecht et al. in 2018.[8] Ferreira et al. in 2021 argued for a point of origin for Basal Eurasians into the Middle East, specifically in the Persian Gulf region on the Arab peninsula. As Basal Eurasians had low levels of Neanderthal ancestry, genetic and archaeological evidence for interactions between modern humans and Neanderthals may allow certain areas, such as the Levant, to be ruled out as possible sources for Basal Eurasians. In other areas, such as southern Southwest Asia, there is currently no evidence for an overlap between modern human and Neanderthal populations.[6]

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=8;t=010838;go=older

Topic: Projecting ancient ancestry in modern-day Arabians and Iranians (Ferreira,2021)

quote:
Originally posted by Mansamusa:
The Arabian Peninsula is strategic for investigations centred on the early structuring of modern humans in the wake of the out-of-Africa migration. Despite its poor climatic conditions for the recovery of ancient human DNA evidence, the availability of both genomic data from
neighbouring ancient specimens and informative statistical tools allow modelling the ancestry of
local modern populations. We applied this approach to a dataset of 741,000 variants screened in
291 Arabians and 78 Iranians, and obtained insightful evidence. The west-east axis was a strong forcer of population structure in the Peninsula, and, more importantly, there were clear continuums throughout time linking western Arabia with the Levant, and eastern Arabia with Iran and the Caucasus. Eastern Arabians also displayed the highest levels of the basal Eurasian lineage of all tested modern-day populations, a signal that was maintained even after correcting for a possible bias due to a recent sub-Saharan African input in their genomes. Not surprisingly, eastern Arabians were also the ones with highest similarity with Iberomaurusians, who were, so far, the best proxy for the basal Eurasians amongst the known ancient specimens. The basal Eurasian lineage is the signature of ancient non-Africans who diverged from the common European-Eastern Asian pool before 50 thousand years ago, prior to the later interbred with Neanderthals. Our results appear to indicate that the exposed basin of the Arabo-Persian Gulf was the possible home of basal Eurasians, a scenario to be further investigated by searching ancient Arabian human specimens.
https://academic.oup.com/gbe/advance-article/doi/10.1093/gbe/evab194/6364187

quote:
Originally posted by Mansamusa:
A basal Eurasian paper, which describes Basal Eurasian as non-African while acknowledging that it is likely African:

"The basal Eurasians and the Neanderthal admixed group were genetically close, so they most likely descended from the same African migrant group that
had split somewhere earlier. The split might have occurred in southwestern Asia after the OOA
migration (through either the northern or the southern route; (Lahr and Foley 1994), or,
alternatively, in Africa. In the latter scenario, the subset that gave rise to the basal Eurasian branch probably followed the southern route taking refugium in the exposed basin of the Arabo-Persian
Gulf, while the direct ancestors of Europeans and Asians followed the northern route, mixed with
Neanderthals, and hence moved forward, further splitting towards Europe and Asia.
Current
evidence does not allow us to disentangle between the two scenarios, which highlights the urgency
of finding and analysing ancient human specimens in eastern AP/Zagros region"

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
@ Elmaestro

Which aDNA sample right now would you say represents the purest or most basal West Eurasian? As in, a sample that postdates the West/East Eurasian split, but lacks post-OOA African (including BE) admixture altogether?

I feel that, if someone claimed that ancient Egyptians or some other ancient North African population had mostly West Eurasian ancestry like a large chunk of the anthro fandom does, they would have to show that most of their ancestry could be traced to a source similar to the most basal West Eurasians instead of something like BE. Likening those ancient North Africans to samples we know have a lot of BE and ANA wouldn't be enough for such people.

I'd have to say, so far it'd be Russia's Sunghir.
Another argument can be made that it's probably WHG but It's not clear how devoid of various non W/E they actually are. Their profile had been crystallized by an extreme genetic bottleneck. And Villabruna can sometime show minor Affinity with some African groups.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ This begs the question where the dividing line between African and non-African is. There are many who are starting to acknowledge Basal Eurasian as African and definitely Ancestral North African. So 'Main Eurasian' then would somehow be 'truly' Eurasian.

What complicates things further the are waves of African admixture from not only Basal Eurasian but Ancestral North African and even Hadza if the Loosdrecht finding is accurate.

LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
quote:
^ This begs the question where the dividing line between African and non-African is. There are many who are starting to acknowledge Basal Eurasian as African and definitely Ancestral North African. So 'Main Eurasian' then would somehow be 'truly' Eurasian.

What complicates things further the are waves of African admixture from not only Basal Eurasian but Ancestral North African and even Hadza if the Loosdrecht finding is accurate.

For me if it originated in Africa then it's African even if it clusters closely to "proper/true" Eurasian clusters.
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Neanderthal admixture seems to be the best indicator of Eurasian ancestry, given that we haven’t found Neanderthal remains anywhere in Africa yet. Even then, there’s the question of how much time elapsed between the departure of mtDNA M and N from Africa on the one hand and Neanderthal introgression on the other.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
quote:
Neanderthal admixture seems to be the best indicator of Eurasian ancestry, given that we haven’t found Neanderthal remains anywhere in Africa yet. Even then, there’s the question of how much time elapsed between the departure of mtDNA M and N from Africa on the one hand and Neanderthal introgression on the other.

Couldn't agree more and furthermore this is how you know Taforalt is definitely proper Eurasian because they've higher levels of Neanderthal levels than Sub-Saharan Africans heck I believe their levels were even measured higher than that of Early Neolithic Iran
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
The only question is where did such Neanderthal ancestry come from? Was it inherited from Natufian forebears OR did it come across the Straits of Gibraltar?

According to Loosdrecht, Taforalt is awfully close to modern Yemenis.

-

And Natufians in general are close to Yemeni Mahra.

-

Yet Mahra also have high amounts of Neanderthal ancestry.

LoStranger
Member # 23740

Rate Member
quote:
The only question is where did such Neanderthal ancestry come from? Was it inherited from Natufian forebears OR dis it come across the Straits of Gibraltar?

According to Loosdrecht, Taforalt is awfully close to modern Yemenis.

-

And Natufians in general are close to Yemeni Mahra.

-

Yet Mahra also have high amounts of Neanderthal ancestry.

More than likely it's the increased African ancestry (ANA or SSA) in Talforalt that mitigated it's neanderthal levels compared to Yeminis. Also it appears to plot closet to Afar populations.
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
We're in a very rough state in the bioanthro world. I don't think it's appropriate to compare Taforalt's unknown ancestry to the Afar or to modern day Yemeni's as these populations are separated by tens of thousands of years. I think in order for us to be at a point where we can better distinguish actual probabilities going forward we need to establish or agree on a few key things.

PCA's are not useful as a tool to investigate hidden ancestry. And as a result, G25 is not that good of a tool to an even greater extent because the coordinates are based on the PCs created. Moreover proximity in PC 1, 2 and 3 can't speak to ancestry as multiple dimensions are calculated by default. Things like heterogeneity can have a huge impact on how populations cluster on a PCA. Afar are not related to Taforalt, and even further removed are the Mahra.

As it related to Taforalt's ancestry composition: I think it's viable or even safe to assume that the sampled Taforalt individuals have received ancestry from an eastern source. That eastern source were the carriers of m78. So one stream of their ancestry is a part of a "complex" which likely included unsampled North East African populations. Archaeologically we have candidates for such a population. On the other hand we have the unknown fore-bearers who brought U6. And lastly we have the uncertain possibility of Aterian introgression (other minor African components notwithstanding).

This is where logic has to come to play. If we were to say the Natufian related ancestry is responsible for the Neanderthal ancestry then we've effectively dismissed space for a Basal Eurasian being in North East Africa.

We can also look at Taforalt's Ancestry as being a result of an SSA-Like population with elevated Neanderthal due to possibly Aterian introgrestion or U6, and later Basal Eurasian carrying "Natufian-like" ancestry.

Or we can just respect the history of the region as a whole and expect that U6 and other Eurasian haplogroups have been in North west Africa since at least 24Kbp. We can expect that the neighboring regions outside of Africa, East and North have Eurasians who were vastly similar in autosomal composition to the U6 progenitors. We can also estimate that since then an African group dispersed both into North west Africa and into the Levant bringing forth the Natufians. We probably estimate that relatively Isolated populations of Arabia (like those of the Mahra ancient socotra) were likely simply a mixture of Levant Natufians and local huntergathers. Ancestral North African (ANA) is ancestry that likely spanned all of Northern Africa (and maybe a bit further south) and is probably not unique to Iberomaurasians. ANA are just "Biological North Africans" with local derivatives in North west, Eastern and North East Africa.

With such a reality we can understand why the "Natufian component" was so pervasive as the Natufian-component is merely a black-hole for all the undiscovered African ancestry not precisely covered in modern populations. We can also understand why in any model with an ANA-Component, there is no Natufian component and vice-versa (because Natufians have ANA ancestry.)

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. Is anyone else having issues accessing this website?
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ No but it is annoying that I have to keep logging back in to make my posts or log out and log in to edit my posts. I think the format of this forum changed to protect users from cyber attacks.

To Elmaestro, I totally agree with you. When you look at the PCA of modern populations not only is there sampling bias with more samples collected from certain regions than others but look at the gaps in the populations of the African continent.

-

And this is just modern populations. We are only scratching the surface in regards to ancient populations with all these 'ghost populations' being discovered. So I too am skeptical in regards to what conclusions can be drawn about how modern populations are related to ancient ones.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
PCA's are not useful as a tool to investigate hidden ancestry. And as a result, G25 is not that good of a tool to an even greater extent because the coordinates are based on the PCs created. Moreover proximity in PC 1, 2 and 3 can't speak to ancestry as multiple dimensions are calculated by default. Things like heterogeneity can have a huge impact on how populations cluster on a PCA.
I've pointed it out before, but I notice a lot of anthrobros will use PCA positions to make inferences about an ancient population's phenotype, even though phenotypic traits like skin color account for only a small part of the autosome. Antalas for instance would argue that certain ancient North Africans would have had to look like himself because that's where their autosomes plotted on a PCA chart. Mind you, I don't doubt that there were some lighter-skinned people in the Maghreb as far back as the late Neolithic, but would I be correct in saying PCA position by itself doesn't say much about a population's phenotype?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
Cool. Is anyone else having issues accessing this website?

A couple of weeks ago I was having big problems with it but not lately

Had made a thread about it

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010948

Topic: ES Server issue? > "The form is not secure autofill has been turned off ?"

the pop up message varies according to browser

quote:
it is annoying that I have to keep logging back in to make my posts or log out and log in to edit my posts.

'you currently still have to do this?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Only in one pc but that's probably because of its security features.

quote:

PCA's are not useful as a tool to investigate hidden ancestry. And as a result, G25 is not that good of a tool to an even greater extent because the coordinates are based on the PCs created. Moreover proximity in PC 1, 2 and 3 can't speak to ancestry as multiple dimensions are calculated by default. Things like heterogeneity can have a huge impact on how populations cluster on a PCA.

I totally agree, but we shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater. PCAs have some usefulness despite the flaws you pointed out.

Note for example how PCAs correlate with nonmetric data such as the odontic data from Irish et al. (2020).

-
(larger size)

-

quote:

I've pointed it out before, but I notice a lot of anthrobros will use PCA positions to make inferences about an ancient population's phenotype, even though phenotypic traits like skin color account for only a small part of the autosome. Antalas for instance would argue that certain ancient North Africans would have had to look like himself because that's where their autosomes plotted on a PCA chart. Mind you, I don't doubt that there were some lighter-skinned people in the Maghreb as far back as the late Neolithic, but would I be correct in saying PCA position by itself doesn't say much about a population's phenotype?

Yeah, it's the same stupid conclusions the anthrobros make about every other piece of anthropological data. They see a skull and make automatic assumptions about the skin color. LOL
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com