EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Blacks and Intelligence (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blacks and Intelligence
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of threads sprouted reacently about Blacks and intelligence I thought about responding directly, but that would violate my stance against supporting troll threads. So I am here to break certain sterotypes about Blacks, not for the sake of trolls who pollute this forum, but for those out there watching. A fellow NewYorker Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson: Astrophycisist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ai-VvboPnA

Dr Ronald Mallet time travel scientist.

Physicists Are Looking At How We Might Take A Trip Through Time

Ronald Mallett hadn’t even heard of physics when he read H.G. Wells’ 1895
classic, "The Time Machine," just a few months after his father died at age

The 10-year old assumed that to build such a device, and see his father again, he should go into electronics, his dad’s field. It was only during his stint at the Strategic Air Command that he learned that it was physicists who were discovering seeming impossibilities: that space can bend, time can slow, particles can be waves and waves, particles. It was physics, he realized, that offered the hope of making Wells’ fiction - and his boyhood hope - a reality.

"But I was astute enough not to tell people I was interested in the physics of time travel," says Dr. Mallett, a professor of physics at the University of
Connecticut, Storrs. "I chose black holes as my cover story, and didn’t come out of the time-travel closet until 1998."

The closet is emptying fast. Ever since Einstein formulated his general theory of relativity in 1915, describing gravity as dips and curves in the single entity called space-time, researchers have been finding hidden gems in its equations. Those equations permit numerous "solutions," or particular shapes of space-time - from deep wells to gentle waves. One solution, for instance, implies the existence of black holes; at first only theorized, black holes have since become, through astronomical observations, members in good standing of the cosmic menageries. Now physicists are taking seriously the newest solutions, those that imply geometries of space-time that actually allow travel to the past.

Prof. Mallet theorized in 2000 that if a powerful laser light were bent into a
ring, it would create a region at its center where space-time curves back on
itself so severely that someone proceeding into the future would wind up back when he started, in his own past. In 1991, Princeton University astrophysicist J. Richard Gott theorized that cosmic strings, thinner than an atomic nucleus but infinitely long and more massive than a galaxy, could warp space-time enough to create these paths to the past, called closed timelike curves.

But it is a 1989 discovery, by Caltech’s Kip Thorne and colleagues, that has done the most to get the physics of time travel into reputable scientific
journals. They theorized that general relativity permits wormholes - tunnels
that cut across a curved region of space-time, connecting here to there and
now to then. Earlier calculations suggested that wormholes don’t stay open
long enough to serve as practical time machines, but Prof. Thorne showed that, with enough negative energy, they can be propped open.

That’s how the heroes of "Timeline," in theaters next week, travel back to the 14th century (and immediately plunge into nonstop sword-wielding,
horse-galloping mayhem). In the film, scientists accidentally discover a
wormhole, one end of which is anchored in 1357 France. That gets a thumbs up from physicists: If wormholes and closed timelike curves exist, they are going to be found, not created. You’d have to settle for whatever endpoints they have.

Just because wormholes emerge from general relativity doesn’t mean they emerge in reality, of course. But physicists take them seriously because of their experience with black holes, which were first only theoretical, too. Maybe wormholes, too, will move from theory to reality.

"In physics," says physicist Michio Kaku of the City College of New York,
"that which is not forbidden is mandatory. If you want to forbid some bizarre
phenomenon, you have to kill it by showing that a law of physics prevents it."

No one has yet done that with wormholes or time travel. The energy needed to prop open a wormhole is about what you would get by converting the mass of a large star into energy through E = mc2. But that is practical, not a fundamental, objection. British cosmologist Stephen Hawking once proposed a "chronology protection conjecture" that would forbid time travel as a result of the laws of physics, but has since retreated.

That has brought a sea change to physics. "A dozen years ago, if you talked about time travel your name would be mud," says Prof. Kaku. "But now we feel that by exploring the possibility of time travel, we are testing the extremes of the laws of physics, which may lead to new physics."

If new physics is lurking anywhere, a good place to check is the sub-subatomic world of "quantum foam." In this roiling microworld, space itself is holey, and wormholes and black holes 100 billion billion times smaller than a proton constantly pop into existence (as the blip that became our universe probably did) only to quickly disappear (as our universe didn’t). But it might be possible to pump enough energy into an otherwise transitory wormhole it to keep it around.

Physicists even have the engineering specs for how to then turn a wormhole into a time tunnel. Anchor one mouth in the present - say Nov. 21, 2010. Drag the other mouth through space at nearly the speed of light, until Nov. 21, 2011. Moving objects age more slowly than stationary ones, according to relativity. If you hop inside the wormhole, therefore, you could travel to any point in time in-between, back to 2010.

And there’s the rub. Time travelers could never reach a time earlier than when a wormhole was engineered. No wonder none have visited us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGrBNtJjsU0

Famous Black Mathematicians
Times have witnessed many well-known mathematicians who have come up with interesting new discoveries in the field of mathematics. To know about some of the famous Black mathematicians, read on…
Mathematics has continued to interest many, since centuries. Several mathematicians and theorists who, through their theorems and corollaries have found solutions to many complex mathematical problems and have shaped the modern-day mathematics. Here is a look at some of the very famous Black mathematicians.

Benjamin Banneker: Born on November 9, 1731, Benjamin Banneker was a Black mathematician, astronomer, clockmaker and publisher. During his childhood years, he was trained in reading and doing basic arithmetic, by his grandmother and a Quaker schoolmaster. When he was capable of helping his parents in working at their farm, he stopped taking formal education. When Banneker was 21 years of age, he saw Andrew Ellicott's pocket watch. Seeing his keen interest in the watch, Ellicott presented it to Banneker. Banneker started examining the watch and it’s working. He designed huge replicas of the watch by calculating the gear assemblies and made a huge striking clock. This invention of Benjamin Banneker served as an accurate timepiece and he earned recognition as a clockmaker. Banneker contributed to the field of astronomy, by devising calculations to predict solar and lunar eclipses.

He is famous for his puzzles in mathematics and trigonometry. His puzzle, 'Trigonometry' demonstrates his expertise in logarithms. People still wonder which logarithmic table he might have used. He was instrumental in devising a method of finding the lengths of the sides of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle, whose diameter is known. His pioneering discoveries that were to bring a positive change to mathematics make evident the genius in him. He died in 1806 but is remembered as one of the famous Black mathematicians.

Kelly Miller: Born on July 23, 1863, Kelly Miller was a mathematician and also a sociologist, newspaper columnist, author and essayist. He graduated from the Howard University in 1886 and was the first black person to be admitted to Johns Hopkins University. He was a law graduate from the Howard School of Law. In 1890, he was hired as a professor at the Howard University. During his service there, he introduced sociology in the curriculum and gave a new dimension to the classical curriculum during his tenure as a dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. His articles and essays were published in various magazines, newspapers and included in various famous books. He endorsed the concept of a symmetrical development through education, which offered both vocational and intellectual instruction.

Elbert Frank Cox: Born on December 5, 1895, Elbert Frank Cox grew up to become the first black person in the world to receive a Ph.D. in mathematics. Since childhood, he exhibited a flair for mathematics and physics. He was also talented in playing violin. He took up a major in mathematics at the Indiana University. He continued his studies, first in the Cornell University and then in the McGill University in Montreal. Being a Black, he had to face difficulties in his pursuit of mathematics, but he rose above them to earn a doctorate in that subject. Cox expanded the work on Euler polynomials and introduced generalized Euler polynomials as also the generalized Boole summation formula and studied several specialized polynomials. From 1925, Cox served the West Virginia State College as a teacher of mathematics and physics. In 1930, he started teaching math at the Howard University. He was an enthusiastic professor and extremely popular among his students. His death in 1969 meant the loss of an excellent teacher and a renowned Black mathematician.

David Blackwell: Born on April 14, 1919, David Blackwell was a Professor Emeritus of Statistics at the University of California. The famous Rao-Blackwell Theorem that deals with transformation of estimators in statistics has been named after this Black mathematician. He was the first African American to make it to the National Academy of Sciences. Since at early age of 16, his love for mathematics kept growing. Accepting the fact that a Black would be allowed to teach only in black colleges, he started applying to various black colleges. He served in the Southern University and then at the Clarke College in Atlanta. In 1946, he became an associate professor in the Howard University. In 1955, he became a professor of statistics at UC, Berkeley. He is among some of the most noted Black mathematicians, times have seen.

J. Earnest Wilkins, Jr.: Born on November 27, 1923, Wilkins was a famous Black mathematicians who entered the University of Chicago aged 13 and completed a B.S in mathematics in four years. Only two years later, he earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Chicago. He published several papers on a wide range of subjects that included linear differential equations, integrals, differential geometry as also optics and nuclear engineering. Presently, Wilkins serves at the Clark Atlanta University as a Distinguished Professor of applied mathematics and mathematical physics. He finds a place in the list of famous African American mathematicians.

This was an overview of some of the famous Black mathematicians. They have revolutionized the present-day mathematics through their work.

By Manali Oak
Published: 7/28/2008

Famous African American Inventors
The African American community has produced numerous outstanding scientists and inventors. Read on to learn about a few of them.
Some of the famous African Americans are featured below.

Granville Woods
Granville was born on April 23, 1856 in Columbus, Ohio. He started developing his skills through a machinist and blacksmith apprenticeship in a machine shop. Granville taught himself electronics. He later worked in a mill. He also did a mechanical engineering course in an eastern college. Later he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio and started his own machine shop. He and his brother Lyates founded the Woods Electrical Company. Granville was a talented electrician and an inventive genius. He patented over thirty-five mechanical and electrical inventions. Granville invented fifteen appliances for electric railways. In 1884, he received his first patent for an improved steam boiler furnace. He patented the Synchronous Multiplex Railway Telegraph in 1887, which made it possible to communicate between trains and between train stations from moving trains. This particular invention made train movements faster and prevented a number of accidents and collisions. He also invented an electric incubator, which incubated fifty thousand eggs at a time. Granville died on January 30, 1910 in New York City.

George Washington Carver
Carver was born in 1864 in Missouri. He discovered 300 uses for peanuts, a crop with a poor reputation. He developed the crop rotation method, which revolutionized Southern agriculture. He produced dyes of 500 different shades. He invented a process for producing stains and paints from soybeans. He found hundreds of uses for sweet potatoes, pecans and soybeans. He died in 1943.

Dr. Jocelyn Simpson
He co-developed a novel class of high performance piezoelectric polymers, which have superior properties over conventional materials. A piezoelectric material generates electricity when pressure is applied to it. The inventors state that this new polymer technology may dramatically improve power generation by providing a new, low cost, environmentally safe source of electricity.

Annie Easley
Annie is a mathematician from Cleveland State University. She developed and implemented computer code used in determining energy, wind and solar projects for NASA. She has contributed to several NASA papers such as: ‘Effect of Turbulent Mixing on Average Fuel Temperatures in a Gas-core Nuclear Rocket Engine’, ‘Bleed Cycle: Propellant Pumping in a Gas-core Nuclear Rocket Engine System’ and ‘Performance and Operational Economics Estimated for a Coal Gasification Combined-Cycle Cogeneration Powerplant’.

John Henry Thompson
John earned a degree in Computer Science and Visual Studies from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1983. He invented lingo programming used in Macromedia Director and Shockwave. As chief scientist at Macromedia he developed a number of products including VideoWorks II, Macromedia Director, Action and The Videoworks Accelerator.

Dr. Percy Julian
Percy was born on April 11, 1899 in Montgomery, Alabama. He produced over 100 patents including two synthetic hormones (progesterone and testosterone) and cortisone. He also isolated a protein that became the basis for a fire-fighting solution in the Second World War. He died on April 19, 1975 in Chicago, Illinois.

Kenneth J. Dunkley
Kenneth discovered the existence of two points located on the periphery of a person's vision that, if obstructed, will cause an ordinary picture to appear three-dimensional. This particular discovery led to the invention of the Three-Dimensional Viewing Glasses (3-DVG) which achieves 3-D effects without lenses, mirrors or optical elements of any kind.

Richard Spikes
Richard patented the following inventions:
•automatic car washer
•automobile directional signals
•self-locking rack for billiard cues
•combination milk bottle opener and cover
•method and apparatus for obtaining average samples and temperature of tank liquids
•improved automatic gear shift transmission and shifting thereof
•multiple barrel machine gun
•horizontally swinging barber chair
David Crosthwait
David was born in Nashville, Tennessee. He obtained a Master of Engineering degree from Purdue University in 1920. He received 39 patents for various devices including refrigeration methods, heating systems, vacuum pumps and processes and temperature regulating devices. His most outstanding creation was the heating system for New York's famous Radio City Music Hall.

By Prabhakar Pillai
Published: 7/1/2008

Research Psychologist - Human Factors
NASA Ames Research Center
Chat Archives
Vernol Battiste:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned." Mark Twain

Who I Am
I am working on a project that we hope will revolutionize the current Air Traffic Control System. The project is called the distributed air ground concept project. Our goal in this project is to increase the efficiency'and flexibility of the system by distributing needed information to the system's users (controllers, pilots, airlines, others). Also, with the additional information users can make better decisions. We are designing a system, which takes advantage of the distributed information by allowing the users to make informed requests.

You can learn about the project I am working on at the following websites.
http://human-factors.arc.nasa.gov/ihh/cdti/index.html

My Career Path
After high school I joined the Air Force for 9 years. I spent the first four years as a Jet Engine Mechanic, and the final 5 years as an Air Traffic Controller. After completing my tour of duty in the Air Force, I decided that a career as an Air Traffic was what I wanted, so I passed the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Air Traffic Control Entrance exam and was sent to Oklahoma City, OK for training. I completed the training program and worked as an FAA controller at Oakland Center.

After 4 years with the FAA as a Controller, I was fired by President Regan after the 1981 National Air Traffic Controller strike, and started a Tennis Court construction business. We sold the business after 2 years, and I went back to school where I met a professor in the Psychology department who introduced me to Human Factors: the study of man and machine integration. This field tries to combine things that a person does best with things that a machines does best. After working for a year in Dr. Klapp's lab I was offered a position at NASA, conducting human factors research.

I have a BA Psychology, California State University, Hayward, California and a MA Research Psychology, San Jose State University.

My curiosity and a burning desire to understand complex systems helped me prepare for this career. My first real experience with complex machines was working on cars with my uncle.

What I like best about my job
One of the things that I like best about my job is that each day I get to work on projects that have great relevance to this country, and to have fun testing the limits of what the next generation Air Traffic Control System can be. The thing I like least about my job is the time spent away from my family while on official travel.

As a Child
I was born and raised in Mobile Alabama, one of the original homes of Mardi Gras. When I was in Mrs. Robinson's third grade elementary class, I remember thinking that I wanted to be a scientist. Sometimes little boys' dreams do come true.

I have many fond memories of my teen and preteen years growing up in Roger Williams Projects. There were many children around my own age in the projects. We had a very large playground area where we played semi-organized sports, and next to the playground were thick wooded areas where we explored and captured small animals. I attended Central High School, an all black high school in Mobile. I was not a very focused student and thus achieved only average grades in high school.

I have two role models: 1) My grandmother, who raised me, and taught me the values that govern my life, 2) Professor Stuart Klapp, who introduced me to Human Factors during my undergraduate studies at California State University, Hayward University. Stuart and I started out as professor and student, and have become good friends.

As a child I did not read any books for pleasure, only schoolbooks. From my perspective, this limited my exploration to locations, and things that only I could imagine. Today I get many ideas and great pleasure from reading, but I still spend a great deal of time reading material for work. I just enjoy it a great deal more.

Advice
Look for opportunities to find what you are truly interested in and pursue those interests. Try and find a career that challenges you and that is fun.

Future Plans
To retire from the government and work part time as a Human Factors Consultant. If I don't retire from NASA, I would like to conduct research and design systems to support navigation and geographical orientation on other planets.

Personal
Today I live in San Jose, CA with my wife and 10-year-old son. We live in the Evergreen district, located in the southeastern foothills which surround the San Francisco Bay. Another member of our family is a female Alaskan Husky, named Makita. She is very playful and very smart, and she loves little children. my hobbies include computers, fishing, restoring old cars (68 GTO, 70 Mustang, 68 Grand Prix) and woodworking

Philip Emeagwali

home page: http://emeagwali.com

Philip Emeagwali's father went to school with Chike Obi, the first African to get a Ph.D. in Mathematics. Philip Emeagwali was born in 1954 in Nigeria. He was raised in the town of Onitsha which is located in South-Eastern Nigeria. Dubbed "Calculus" by schoolmates, Emeagwali at age 14 had mastered the subject, and could even out-calculate his instructors. Then a crisis struck. He had to drop out of school because his family could not afford to send all eight children. But he continued studying on his own, and after getting a general certificate of education from the University of London. At the age of 17, he was awarded a full scholarship to Oregon State University where he majored in math. Upon graduation, he attended George Washington University and was awarded two engineering master's degrees, one in civil engineering and the other in marine engineering, a master's in mathematics from the University of Maryland. He later achieved his doctorate from the University of Michigan in civil engineering (really scientific computing). Philip Emeagwali's greatest achievement, that warranted him the most praise, was The Connection Machine. The Connection Machine utilizes 65,000 computers linked in parallel to form the fastest computer on Earth. This computer can perform 3.1 billion calculations per second. This is faster than the theoretical top speed of the Cray Supercomputer. Though he did not "invent" The Connection Machine, his work on it won Philip Emeagwali the Gordon Bell Prize of 1989. The parallel computer was twice as fast as the previous year's computer. The Connection Machine was a great advancement over previous designs built by IBM's design teams of Thomas J. Watson, Jr. and Fred Brook.

At the Army High Performance Computing Research Center at the University of Minnesota, Emeagwali conducts research on next-generation supercomputers that will enable scientists and engineers to solve important problems in diverse fields: meteorology, energy, the environment, health, etc. He has also worked with the Maryland State Highway Administration, U.S. National Weather Service, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and the University of Michigan, where he conducted his award-winning research.

"I find supercomputing to be a fascinating, challenging, and critical technology that can be used to solve many important societal problems, such as predicting the spread of AIDS, and many other computational `grand challenges.' These are scientific problems whose accurate solution requires that a quadrillion or more arithmetical calculations be performed," the computer wiz says. Such problems are impossible to solve on traditional computers, but massively parallel supercomputers will make it possible.

Major Awards and Prizes Mr. Emeagwali has won many awards and prizes including:

The Nigeria Prize-Africa's largest scholarly prize.

In 2004, one of the 50 Most Important Blacks in Research Science

Philip Emeagwali designed the program and formula for the fastest computer on earth, the Connection Machine. He designed the system of parallel computers that are used by all search engines, for example Yahoo or Search.com. The parallel computer idea was also worked on by individuals such as Burton Smith and Daniel Hillis.

The Connection Machine with a program developed by Philip Emeagwali solved a 350 year old packing problem that was considered to be one of the great unsolved mathematics problems. The Connection Machine and Mr. Emeagwali also designed equations to explain how sperm swim, how polluted groundwater flows, how the Earth's interior moves and causes volcanic eruptions, finally how to recover petroleum safer and in larger quantities.

Finally Philip Emeagwali designed the Hyperball computer which is able to forecast long-term global warming patterns.

Bibliography:

1) "Brain to Brain: Network links 3 million computers worldwide." July 8, 1991 Detroit Free Press. http://www.emeagwali.com/usa/michigan/brain-to-brain-detroit-free-press.html

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
Alot of threads sprouted reacently about Blacks and intelligence I thought about responding directly, but that would violate my stance against supporting troll threads. So I am here to break certain sterotypes about Blacks, not for the sake of trolls who pollute this forum, but for those out there watching. A fellow NewYorker Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson: Astrophycisist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ai-VvboPnA

Dr Ronald Mallet time travel scientist.

Physicists Are Looking At How We Might Take A Trip Through Time

Ronald Mallett hadn’t even heard of physics when he read H.G. Wells’ 1895
classic, "The Time Machine," just a few months after his father died at age

The 10-year old assumed that to build such a device, and see his father again, he should go into electronics, his dad’s field. It was only during his stint at the Strategic Air Command that he learned that it was physicists who were discovering seeming impossibilities: that space can bend, time can slow, particles can be waves and waves, particles. It was physics, he realized, that offered the hope of making Wells’ fiction - and his boyhood hope - a reality.

"But I was astute enough not to tell people I was interested in the physics of time travel," says Dr. Mallett, a professor of physics at the University of
Connecticut, Storrs. "I chose black holes as my cover story, and didn’t come out of the time-travel closet until 1998."

The closet is emptying fast. Ever since Einstein formulated his general theory of relativity in 1915, describing gravity as dips and curves in the single entity called space-time, researchers have been finding hidden gems in its equations. Those equations permit numerous "solutions," or particular shapes of space-time - from deep wells to gentle waves. One solution, for instance, implies the existence of black holes; at first only theorized, black holes have since become, through astronomical observations, members in good standing of the cosmic menageries. Now physicists are taking seriously the newest solutions, those that imply geometries of space-time that actually allow travel to the past.

Prof. Mallet theorized in 2000 that if a powerful laser light were bent into a
ring, it would create a region at its center where space-time curves back on
itself so severely that someone proceeding into the future would wind up back when he started, in his own past. In 1991, Princeton University astrophysicist J. Richard Gott theorized that cosmic strings, thinner than an atomic nucleus but infinitely long and more massive than a galaxy, could warp space-time enough to create these paths to the past, called closed timelike curves.

But it is a 1989 discovery, by Caltech’s Kip Thorne and colleagues, that has done the most to get the physics of time travel into reputable scientific
journals. They theorized that general relativity permits wormholes - tunnels
that cut across a curved region of space-time, connecting here to there and
now to then. Earlier calculations suggested that wormholes don’t stay open
long enough to serve as practical time machines, but Prof. Thorne showed that, with enough negative energy, they can be propped open.

That’s how the heroes of "Timeline," in theaters next week, travel back to the 14th century (and immediately plunge into nonstop sword-wielding,
horse-galloping mayhem). In the film, scientists accidentally discover a
wormhole, one end of which is anchored in 1357 France. That gets a thumbs up from physicists: If wormholes and closed timelike curves exist, they are going to be found, not created. You’d have to settle for whatever endpoints they have.

Just because wormholes emerge from general relativity doesn’t mean they emerge in reality, of course. But physicists take them seriously because of their experience with black holes, which were first only theoretical, too. Maybe wormholes, too, will move from theory to reality.

"In physics," says physicist Michio Kaku of the City College of New York,
"that which is not forbidden is mandatory. If you want to forbid some bizarre
phenomenon, you have to kill it by showing that a law of physics prevents it."

No one has yet done that with wormholes or time travel. The energy needed to prop open a wormhole is about what you would get by converting the mass of a large star into energy through E = mc2. But that is practical, not a fundamental, objection. British cosmologist Stephen Hawking once proposed a "chronology protection conjecture" that would forbid time travel as a result of the laws of physics, but has since retreated.

That has brought a sea change to physics. "A dozen years ago, if you talked about time travel your name would be mud," says Prof. Kaku. "But now we feel that by exploring the possibility of time travel, we are testing the extremes of the laws of physics, which may lead to new physics."

If new physics is lurking anywhere, a good place to check is the sub-subatomic world of "quantum foam." In this roiling microworld, space itself is holey, and wormholes and black holes 100 billion billion times smaller than a proton constantly pop into existence (as the blip that became our universe probably did) only to quickly disappear (as our universe didn’t). But it might be possible to pump enough energy into an otherwise transitory wormhole it to keep it around.

Physicists even have the engineering specs for how to then turn a wormhole into a time tunnel. Anchor one mouth in the present - say Nov. 21, 2010. Drag the other mouth through space at nearly the speed of light, until Nov. 21, 2011. Moving objects age more slowly than stationary ones, according to relativity. If you hop inside the wormhole, therefore, you could travel to any point in time in-between, back to 2010.

And there’s the rub. Time travelers could never reach a time earlier than when a wormhole was engineered. No wonder none have visited us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGrBNtJjsU0

Famous Black Mathematicians
Times have witnessed many well-known mathematicians who have come up with interesting new discoveries in the field of mathematics. To know about some of the famous Black mathematicians, read on…
Mathematics has continued to interest many, since centuries. Several mathematicians and theorists who, through their theorems and corollaries have found solutions to many complex mathematical problems and have shaped the modern-day mathematics. Here is a look at some of the very famous Black mathematicians.

Benjamin Banneker: Born on November 9, 1731, Benjamin Banneker was a Black mathematician, astronomer, clockmaker and publisher. During his childhood years, he was trained in reading and doing basic arithmetic, by his grandmother and a Quaker schoolmaster. When he was capable of helping his parents in working at their farm, he stopped taking formal education. When Banneker was 21 years of age, he saw Andrew Ellicott's pocket watch. Seeing his keen interest in the watch, Ellicott presented it to Banneker. Banneker started examining the watch and it’s working. He designed huge replicas of the watch by calculating the gear assemblies and made a huge striking clock. This invention of Benjamin Banneker served as an accurate timepiece and he earned recognition as a clockmaker. Banneker contributed to the field of astronomy, by devising calculations to predict solar and lunar eclipses.

He is famous for his puzzles in mathematics and trigonometry. His puzzle, 'Trigonometry' demonstrates his expertise in logarithms. People still wonder which logarithmic table he might have used. He was instrumental in devising a method of finding the lengths of the sides of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle, whose diameter is known. His pioneering discoveries that were to bring a positive change to mathematics make evident the genius in him. He died in 1806 but is remembered as one of the famous Black mathematicians.

Kelly Miller: Born on July 23, 1863, Kelly Miller was a mathematician and also a sociologist, newspaper columnist, author and essayist. He graduated from the Howard University in 1886 and was the first black person to be admitted to Johns Hopkins University. He was a law graduate from the Howard School of Law. In 1890, he was hired as a professor at the Howard University. During his service there, he introduced sociology in the curriculum and gave a new dimension to the classical curriculum during his tenure as a dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. His articles and essays were published in various magazines, newspapers and included in various famous books. He endorsed the concept of a symmetrical development through education, which offered both vocational and intellectual instruction.

Elbert Frank Cox: Born on December 5, 1895, Elbert Frank Cox grew up to become the first black person in the world to receive a Ph.D. in mathematics. Since childhood, he exhibited a flair for mathematics and physics. He was also talented in playing violin. He took up a major in mathematics at the Indiana University. He continued his studies, first in the Cornell University and then in the McGill University in Montreal. Being a Black, he had to face difficulties in his pursuit of mathematics, but he rose above them to earn a doctorate in that subject. Cox expanded the work on Euler polynomials and introduced generalized Euler polynomials as also the generalized Boole summation formula and studied several specialized polynomials. From 1925, Cox served the West Virginia State College as a teacher of mathematics and physics. In 1930, he started teaching math at the Howard University. He was an enthusiastic professor and extremely popular among his students. His death in 1969 meant the loss of an excellent teacher and a renowned Black mathematician.

David Blackwell: Born on April 14, 1919, David Blackwell was a Professor Emeritus of Statistics at the University of California. The famous Rao-Blackwell Theorem that deals with transformation of estimators in statistics has been named after this Black mathematician. He was the first African American to make it to the National Academy of Sciences. Since at early age of 16, his love for mathematics kept growing. Accepting the fact that a Black would be allowed to teach only in black colleges, he started applying to various black colleges. He served in the Southern University and then at the Clarke College in Atlanta. In 1946, he became an associate professor in the Howard University. In 1955, he became a professor of statistics at UC, Berkeley. He is among some of the most noted Black mathematicians, times have seen.

J. Earnest Wilkins, Jr.: Born on November 27, 1923, Wilkins was a famous Black mathematicians who entered the University of Chicago aged 13 and completed a B.S in mathematics in four years. Only two years later, he earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Chicago. He published several papers on a wide range of subjects that included linear differential equations, integrals, differential geometry as also optics and nuclear engineering. Presently, Wilkins serves at the Clark Atlanta University as a Distinguished Professor of applied mathematics and mathematical physics. He finds a place in the list of famous African American mathematicians.

This was an overview of some of the famous Black mathematicians. They have revolutionized the present-day mathematics through their work.

By Manali Oak
Published: 7/28/2008

Famous African American Inventors
The African American community has produced numerous outstanding scientists and inventors. Read on to learn about a few of them.
Some of the famous African Americans are featured below.

Granville Woods
Granville was born on April 23, 1856 in Columbus, Ohio. He started developing his skills through a machinist and blacksmith apprenticeship in a machine shop. Granville taught himself electronics. He later worked in a mill. He also did a mechanical engineering course in an eastern college. Later he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio and started his own machine shop. He and his brother Lyates founded the Woods Electrical Company. Granville was a talented electrician and an inventive genius. He patented over thirty-five mechanical and electrical inventions. Granville invented fifteen appliances for electric railways. In 1884, he received his first patent for an improved steam boiler furnace. He patented the Synchronous Multiplex Railway Telegraph in 1887, which made it possible to communicate between trains and between train stations from moving trains. This particular invention made train movements faster and prevented a number of accidents and collisions. He also invented an electric incubator, which incubated fifty thousand eggs at a time. Granville died on January 30, 1910 in New York City.

George Washington Carver
Carver was born in 1864 in Missouri. He discovered 300 uses for peanuts, a crop with a poor reputation. He developed the crop rotation method, which revolutionized Southern agriculture. He produced dyes of 500 different shades. He invented a process for producing stains and paints from soybeans. He found hundreds of uses for sweet potatoes, pecans and soybeans. He died in 1943.

Dr. Jocelyn Simpson
He co-developed a novel class of high performance piezoelectric polymers, which have superior properties over conventional materials. A piezoelectric material generates electricity when pressure is applied to it. The inventors state that this new polymer technology may dramatically improve power generation by providing a new, low cost, environmentally safe source of electricity.

Annie Easley
Annie is a mathematician from Cleveland State University. She developed and implemented computer code used in determining energy, wind and solar projects for NASA. She has contributed to several NASA papers such as: ‘Effect of Turbulent Mixing on Average Fuel Temperatures in a Gas-core Nuclear Rocket Engine’, ‘Bleed Cycle: Propellant Pumping in a Gas-core Nuclear Rocket Engine System’ and ‘Performance and Operational Economics Estimated for a Coal Gasification Combined-Cycle Cogeneration Powerplant’.

John Henry Thompson
John earned a degree in Computer Science and Visual Studies from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1983. He invented lingo programming used in Macromedia Director and Shockwave. As chief scientist at Macromedia he developed a number of products including VideoWorks II, Macromedia Director, Action and The Videoworks Accelerator.

Dr. Percy Julian
Percy was born on April 11, 1899 in Montgomery, Alabama. He produced over 100 patents including two synthetic hormones (progesterone and testosterone) and cortisone. He also isolated a protein that became the basis for a fire-fighting solution in the Second World War. He died on April 19, 1975 in Chicago, Illinois.

Kenneth J. Dunkley
Kenneth discovered the existence of two points located on the periphery of a person's vision that, if obstructed, will cause an ordinary picture to appear three-dimensional. This particular discovery led to the invention of the Three-Dimensional Viewing Glasses (3-DVG) which achieves 3-D effects without lenses, mirrors or optical elements of any kind.

Richard Spikes
Richard patented the following inventions:
•automatic car washer
•automobile directional signals
•self-locking rack for billiard cues
•combination milk bottle opener and cover
•method and apparatus for obtaining average samples and temperature of tank liquids
•improved automatic gear shift transmission and shifting thereof
•multiple barrel machine gun
•horizontally swinging barber chair
David Crosthwait
David was born in Nashville, Tennessee. He obtained a Master of Engineering degree from Purdue University in 1920. He received 39 patents for various devices including refrigeration methods, heating systems, vacuum pumps and processes and temperature regulating devices. His most outstanding creation was the heating system for New York's famous Radio City Music Hall.

By Prabhakar Pillai
Published: 7/1/2008

Research Psychologist - Human Factors
NASA Ames Research Center
Chat Archives
Vernol Battiste:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned." Mark Twain

Who I Am
I am working on a project that we hope will revolutionize the current Air Traffic Control System. The project is called the distributed air ground concept project. Our goal in this project is to increase the efficiency'and flexibility of the system by distributing needed information to the system's users (controllers, pilots, airlines, others). Also, with the additional information users can make better decisions. We are designing a system, which takes advantage of the distributed information by allowing the users to make informed requests.

You can learn about the project I am working on at the following websites.
http://human-factors.arc.nasa.gov/ihh/cdti/index.html

My Career Path
After high school I joined the Air Force for 9 years. I spent the first four years as a Jet Engine Mechanic, and the final 5 years as an Air Traffic Controller. After completing my tour of duty in the Air Force, I decided that a career as an Air Traffic was what I wanted, so I passed the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Air Traffic Control Entrance exam and was sent to Oklahoma City, OK for training. I completed the training program and worked as an FAA controller at Oakland Center.

After 4 years with the FAA as a Controller, I was fired by President Regan after the 1981 National Air Traffic Controller strike, and started a Tennis Court construction business. We sold the business after 2 years, and I went back to school where I met a professor in the Psychology department who introduced me to Human Factors: the study of man and machine integration. This field tries to combine things that a person does best with things that a machines does best. After working for a year in Dr. Klapp's lab I was offered a position at NASA, conducting human factors research.

I have a BA Psychology, California State University, Hayward, California and a MA Research Psychology, San Jose State University.

My curiosity and a burning desire to understand complex systems helped me prepare for this career. My first real experience with complex machines was working on cars with my uncle.

What I like best about my job
One of the things that I like best about my job is that each day I get to work on projects that have great relevance to this country, and to have fun testing the limits of what the next generation Air Traffic Control System can be. The thing I like least about my job is the time spent away from my family while on official travel.

As a Child
I was born and raised in Mobile Alabama, one of the original homes of Mardi Gras. When I was in Mrs. Robinson's third grade elementary class, I remember thinking that I wanted to be a scientist. Sometimes little boys' dreams do come true.

I have many fond memories of my teen and preteen years growing up in Roger Williams Projects. There were many children around my own age in the projects. We had a very large playground area where we played semi-organized sports, and next to the playground were thick wooded areas where we explored and captured small animals. I attended Central High School, an all black high school in Mobile. I was not a very focused student and thus achieved only average grades in high school.

I have two role models: 1) My grandmother, who raised me, and taught me the values that govern my life, 2) Professor Stuart Klapp, who introduced me to Human Factors during my undergraduate studies at California State University, Hayward University. Stuart and I started out as professor and student, and have become good friends.

As a child I did not read any books for pleasure, only schoolbooks. From my perspective, this limited my exploration to locations, and things that only I could imagine. Today I get many ideas and great pleasure from reading, but I still spend a great deal of time reading material for work. I just enjoy it a great deal more.

Advice
Look for opportunities to find what you are truly interested in and pursue those interests. Try and find a career that challenges you and that is fun.

Future Plans
To retire from the government and work part time as a Human Factors Consultant. If I don't retire from NASA, I would like to conduct research and design systems to support navigation and geographical orientation on other planets.

Personal
Today I live in San Jose, CA with my wife and 10-year-old son. We live in the Evergreen district, located in the southeastern foothills which surround the San Francisco Bay. Another member of our family is a female Alaskan Husky, named Makita. She is very playful and very smart, and she loves little children. my hobbies include computers, fishing, restoring old cars (68 GTO, 70 Mustang, 68 Grand Prix) and woodworking

Philip Emeagwali

home page: http://emeagwali.com

Philip Emeagwali's father went to school with Chike Obi, the first African to get a Ph.D. in Mathematics. Philip Emeagwali was born in 1954 in Nigeria. He was raised in the town of Onitsha which is located in South-Eastern Nigeria. Dubbed "Calculus" by schoolmates, Emeagwali at age 14 had mastered the subject, and could even out-calculate his instructors. Then a crisis struck. He had to drop out of school because his family could not afford to send all eight children. But he continued studying on his own, and after getting a general certificate of education from the University of London. At the age of 17, he was awarded a full scholarship to Oregon State University where he majored in math. Upon graduation, he attended George Washington University and was awarded two engineering master's degrees, one in civil engineering and the other in marine engineering, a master's in mathematics from the University of Maryland. He later achieved his doctorate from the University of Michigan in civil engineering (really scientific computing). Philip Emeagwali's greatest achievement, that warranted him the most praise, was The Connection Machine. The Connection Machine utilizes 65,000 computers linked in parallel to form the fastest computer on Earth. This computer can perform 3.1 billion calculations per second. This is faster than the theoretical top speed of the Cray Supercomputer. Though he did not "invent" The Connection Machine, his work on it won Philip Emeagwali the Gordon Bell Prize of 1989. The parallel computer was twice as fast as the previous year's computer. The Connection Machine was a great advancement over previous designs built by IBM's design teams of Thomas J. Watson, Jr. and Fred Brook.

At the Army High Performance Computing Research Center at the University of Minnesota, Emeagwali conducts research on next-generation supercomputers that will enable scientists and engineers to solve important problems in diverse fields: meteorology, energy, the environment, health, etc. He has also worked with the Maryland State Highway Administration, U.S. National Weather Service, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and the University of Michigan, where he conducted his award-winning research.

"I find supercomputing to be a fascinating, challenging, and critical technology that can be used to solve many important societal problems, such as predicting the spread of AIDS, and many other computational `grand challenges.' These are scientific problems whose accurate solution requires that a quadrillion or more arithmetical calculations be performed," the computer wiz says. Such problems are impossible to solve on traditional computers, but massively parallel supercomputers will make it possible.

Major Awards and Prizes Mr. Emeagwali has won many awards and prizes including:

The Nigeria Prize-Africa's largest scholarly prize.

In 2004, one of the 50 Most Important Blacks in Research Science

Philip Emeagwali designed the program and formula for the fastest computer on earth, the Connection Machine. He designed the system of parallel computers that are used by all search engines, for example Yahoo or Search.com. The parallel computer idea was also worked on by individuals such as Burton Smith and Daniel Hillis.

The Connection Machine with a program developed by Philip Emeagwali solved a 350 year old packing problem that was considered to be one of the great unsolved mathematics problems. The Connection Machine and Mr. Emeagwali also designed equations to explain how sperm swim, how polluted groundwater flows, how the Earth's interior moves and causes volcanic eruptions, finally how to recover petroleum safer and in larger quantities.

Finally Philip Emeagwali designed the Hyperball computer which is able to forecast long-term global warming patterns.

Bibliography:

1) "Brain to Brain: Network links 3 million computers worldwide." July 8, 1991 Detroit Free Press. http://www.emeagwali.com/usa/michigan/brain-to-brain-detroit-free-press.html

I'm sorry, but just what exactly is all of this supposed to prove. None of this discredits THE FACT that blacks, on average, show an intellectual inferiority as measured via IQ when compared to other races.
And Philip Emeagwali is a liar; Here are some sites that thoughroughly debunk all of his grandiose claims:

Self-Promotion and Self-Authentication: the Abuse of Cyber pseudo-Anonymity: Part II "Father of the Internet"

Is Phillip Emeagwali Media Hype?

Is Phillip Emeagwali the Smartest Man Ever to Live?

Posts: 138 | From: تونس | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I agree, he's "media hype" alright.

That's why after the birth of his idea this publication editor re-edited this original draft

-

to this:

-

All for the media-hype, his rationale was that he "could see the caucasian in him".

And you're using a pretty shaky tool if the *intelligence* quotient score is your model to measure hereditary "intelligence" which.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, as the thread author mentions this has been discussed several times recently, and these 4 unrefutable posts sum up the whole IQ thing perfectly:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000008

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000010

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000048

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=2#000085

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ ROFL [Big Grin] only two pints of that stellar Stella mate.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
^I agree, he's "media hype" alright.

That's why after the birth of his idea this publication editor re-edited this original draft

-

to this:

-

All for the media-hype, his rationale was that he "could see the caucasian in him".

And you're using a pretty shaky tool if the *intelligence* quotient score is your model to measure hereditary "intelligence" which.

I'm not quite sure as to what those two pictures are supposed to prove exactly; but what I do know for a fact is that they most certainly do not rebut any of the sources that I posted (the first two of which actually came from Nigerian sites).
And secondly, as far as that statement about intellectual aptitude as measured through IQ tests as being a "pretty shaky tool," you are either naive or simply misinformed, as IQ tests have been proven time and time again to be an accurate predictor of socioeconomic outcomes, this is why they continue to be used today in recruiting potential job candidates by Fortune 500 companies and US Government Institutions such as the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security to separate the "wheat from the chaff." No contemporary psychologist who wants to be taken seriously denies this fact or that there is a gap in terms of black-white IQ scores; the contention lies behind what is actually responsible for this gap: whether it my be due strictly to environmental causes OR if it is simply another expression of human diversity and actually quantifies something innate.

Posts: 138 | From: تونس | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
Also, as the thread author mentions this has been discussed several times recently, and these 4 unrefutable posts sum up the whole IQ thing perfectly:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000008

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000010

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=1#000048

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001220;p=2#000085

None of those sources shed any light as to why afro americans consistently score the lowest on standardized test scores, or why government funded programs such as Head Start have all but failed black american children. Am I to assume then that black americans are "less modern," than white and asian americans? I think not. Now as I have already pointed out the contention lies behind why this is, not whether or not it is a reality.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
None of those sources shed any light as to why afro americans consistently score the lowest on standardized test scores
You're illiterate then, as almost all of those posts contain information directly applicable to the subject of black american testing, the "African American Intelligence Quotient", and so on.

quote:
And secondly, as far as that statement about intellectual aptitude as measured through IQ tests as being a "pretty shaky tool," you are either naive or simply misinformed, as IQ tests have been proven time and time again to be an accurate predictor of socioeconomic outcomes
More proof of lack of reading comprehension.

What i stated was that simply using simple empirical values (i.e. raw IQ score) to measure hereditability of some ambiguous and subjective trait (few ever define "intelligence") leaves alot to be desired in the way of objectivity not to mention alot of variables.

But its pretty clear from your vague and casual usage of terms like "races" that i'm probably not conversing with anyone knowledgeable.

In case - as i suspect - you are indeed clueless as to which **unaccounted for** variables i may have been referring to, here is a short intro: with each generation even the IQ value that designates mental retardation has to be raised, which in and of itsself is a controversial issue. And America as a whole at the turn of the 20th Century would have placed below that learning disabled line on today's tests. The score has been shown to correlate with social and economic class as well as environment (culture, communication, goals and even opinions). With African Americans in fixed environments scores are equal to or superior to those of mixed or white children, and black Americans outside of those environs have been shown to have scores that drop from virtual equality with whites by as much as 15 points before leveling out at age 25.

But, if you were capable of reading you'd 've known all htis was covered in the links i posted.

Anything empirical, anything aside from being *linked* with physical evidence is purely theoretical and purely uninteresting to me (physical evidence = actual gene expression -- not IQ, g-factor, "intelligence", dark hair, light skin, big teeth, long nose, etc).

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Fawal if you checkout one of Neil Degrasse interview,he at onetime made to feel guilty for pursuing a career in astrophysic.He was told by someone he looked up to that our community cannot affored the luxury of such feilds,that he should enter a career that would help our people.
The point of the above is what do people of differing communities tend to concrate on,For AA's the last 150yrs was about gaining political power so they can protect themselves from abuse by certain members of the majority population. case in point after Slavery and dispite grinding poverty and discrimation, Blacks began to make head way in business,education and even science,so much so that some of their communities bagan to out shine neighbouring white communities but lack of political power and this is what happend:

THE BRIDGE: Black History & Race Riots

By Darryl James

The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called riots the "voice of the unheard." African Americans have been speaking with this voice since the days of slavery, even as American history pretends that we sat idly by waiting for good natured whites to come and save us.

In many instances, we saved ourselves, or at least fought the good fight. It is important for us to study the history of rioting in America, so that we understand how we fought back before the 1960's. Some of those riots will provide us with a look inside the lives of African Americans before integration with surprising results.

1921--The Black Wall Street

One of the bloodiest, and perhaps most significant race riots of this nation¹s history was the Tulsa, Race Riot of 1921 in Oklahoma. Its importance stems not from its resultant death toll, but from its shroud of mystery. Shortly after the bloody massacre, history closed its mouth and attempted to erase memory of the ugly event.

The Tulsa Race Riot was also significant because it represented white backlash against Blacks who were attempting to enjoy the promises of capitalism and democracy with their own communities and their own commerce.

In Tulsa, the Black area called the "Greenwood District" was nationally recognized as an area of high entrepreneurial activity, dubbed the "Black Wall Street of America."

Blacks came from all over the nation, hearing of the economic opportunities available on The Black Wall Street, where the concept of recycling Black dollars was thriving in the face of segregation which gave Blacks no other option but to conduct commerce amongst themselves.

The community grew and flourished economically. Whites in the remainder of Tulsa were not only jealous, but afraid of what Black prosperity meant for their own growth potential.

In the same fashion as the Wilmington Race Riot of 1898, the Tulsa Race Riot erupted based on the assumption of Black sexual assault against a white woman named Sarah Page.

The white woman in question was actually having an affair with a Black man, named Dick Rowland. A hotly debated incident in a local elevator lead the white citizens to believe that the white woman, who was also married, had been attacked by Rowland.

Rowland was arrested and the white mob that came to the jail looking for their own brand of justice, commonly referred to as lynching, was met by an armed group of Blacks, preparing to defend Rowland. One of the white men tried to disarm one of the Black men and the gun discharged, setting off mass confusion and an all-out race war, complete with burning and looting.

While the Blacks were outnumbered, the majority of them were former soldiers and began to battle military style. Unfortunately, they and the Tulsa police were overwhelmed by the swelling mob of hatred, which chased even the firefighters away. Before the National Guard arrived, the Greenwood District was burned to its foundation.

Official estimates placed the death count at ten whites and twenty-six Blacks, however, later reports place the total at more than three hundred dead, with property damage in the millions.

Even though the entire area was leveled, eventually, the residents returned to their community and rebuilt it from the ground up.

Toward the end of the twentieth century, survivors of the horrible event began to speak, and in 1997, The Tulsa Race Riot Commission was formed to investigate the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.

1923-- Rosewood, Florida

Two years after the Black Wall Street was burned to the ground, the prospering Black community in Rosewood, Florida was also burned to the ground, based on friction between the races (and the white effort to "protect" the chastity of white womanhood from the sexual advances of the Black man), as well as white hatred of any Black advancement.

Similar in origin to Tulsa, Rosewood's rioting was begun by murderous whites who assumed that a white woman had been sexually assaulted by a Black man.

Rosewood was a small community with a majority of Black citizens who owned their homes and their land. It was named for the red cedar that grew nearby.

That cedar was cut and shipped to New York to become pencils, which made the community prosperous. When the cedar ran out, so did the majority of the white citizens. Of the mostly Black population that remained, the men went to work at a sawmill in a nearby town and the women mostly did domestic work. Some Blacks even worked for Goins & Brothers, a Black-owned Naval store in Rosewood, whose owners also owned or leased most of the land in a section called "Goin's Quarters."

The town also had a general store owned by a Black family, a Black-operated sugar mill, and a private school of their own. Rosewood even had its own train station.

The difficulties between the races that led to a major race war in Rosewood, Florida had been brewing for at least three years.

In the summer of 1920, smaller incidents included the lynching of four Black men who were removed from jail after being arrested for the alleged rape of a white woman.

In November of that same year, two whites and five Blacks were killed following a dispute over voting rights. Ococee, a Black community, was destroyed, including twenty-five homes, two churches and a Masonic lodge.

In 1921 and 1922, several Black men were lynched or burned at the stake for alleged assault or murder of white women.

In January of 1923, a white woman reported an attack by a Black man she couldn't identify. The sheriff apparently decided he could make the identification and apprehended one Black man, while a posse of white vigilantes apprehended and killed another.

Descendants of Blacks in Rosewood recall that the man who assaulted the white woman was actually her white lover. They also say that the woman, who was married and having an adulterous affair, protected her reputation by creating the Black assailant.

The next day more than two hundred whites gathered and converged on Rosewood, murdering two Black men. Many of the Black citizens escape Rosewood to Gainesville by train.

Two days later, the white mob returned to Rosewood and burned every building in sight.

All tolled, eight people lost their lives--six Black and two white.

A grand jury was convened to investigate the riot, but claimed to find "insufficient evidence," and did not prosecute anyone.

In the cases of both The Black Wall Street and Rosewood, Blacks fought back even though they were outnumbered and overwhelmed. American history likes to ignore these stories mainly because they were prosperous Black neighborhoods, thriving in the era of Jim Crow.

We should remember such stories during Black History Month and year round.

And this does not including common everyday slights and humilitions,so almost by necessity Black folks had to pour their energies into the political arena or just basic survival. and dispite all that you have Black Folks that shine like the morning star.Fawal I don't know in what part of the world you live in but if it's in England then you are in trouble the Nigerians know what i am talking about,see their education stats.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fawal,

IQ tests measure IQ and are mainly determined by the environment.

If IQ is such a big indicator of innate cognitive ability then please explain why AAs score higher than Indians(IQ 81), Iraq(83), Iran(84), Mexico(83), and most of South East Asia.

The scores that are attributed to Africa are mainly bogus because the assigned IQ of 70 is borderline retarded in the West. This means that the individual with an IQ of 70 could not lead an independent life, drive a taxi, use a cell phone, give correct change, go to the market without and escort, etc. Africans do all of those things easily. So IQ tests on that basis are just bunk--once you transfer them across cultures.

James Flynn's recent text "What is Intelligence" shows that IQ tests are truly determined by enviroenmental factors. Get his book and try to read it.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For AA's the last 150yrs was about gaining political power so they can protect themselves from abuse by certain members of the majority population. case in point after Slavery and dispite grinding poverty and discrimation, Blacks began to make head way in business,education and even science,so much so that some of their communities bagan to out shine neighbouring white communities but lack of political power and this is what happend:

I doubt political power would have halted the destruction of Tulsa. They would have found some way to crush that example. In fact the drive for political power came from integrationists like Dubois while Garvey called for economic and cultural nationalism, in vain. Obviously blacks have not been able to defend their communities despite political power. Look at how whites destroyed a whole Phili neighborhood in the 80s claiming they were going after a cult called "Move". Blacks had political power then but that didn't stop whites from burning down the place. Also, look at black communities today from LA to NY they are "destroyed' in the sense that poverty, drugs and single parent households are the norm. AA communities are just a microcosm of Africa: powerless and depended on white patronage. Obviously the promise of freedom and liberation through civil rights has not materialized.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Lamin people like to take folks who are in dire strights and have had centuries of abuse by their own ancestors non the less then turn around and... say look at you!!! there must be something wrong with you why are you not as well off as I am while ignoring all the above^^and at the sametime trying to prepetrate the abuse in some fashion.

Here is a laundry list of things Black folks were not supposed to do:

1)compete successfully in sports against whites-done*
2)fly airplanes-see Tuskeegee Airmen-done*
3)build sucessful communites-see the above and wide spreads of places like Atlanta and hundreds more Black communities all across the states-done*
4)Be the equal or the superior of others in education-see Nigerians and Barbadians-done*
5)Excell in the higher sciences-see the above-done*
6)dominate the political scene check POTUS-done*
7) become Millionaires and billionaires by their own hands done countless times-done*
Whatever they claimed we couldn't do we did and have been doing for thousands of years....DONE*

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Bogle I kinda agree and disagree at the sametime with enough political and economic power to back it up it would have been much tougher,Imagine if you have the power to remove a police chief or a senetor who is blocking your progerss thats power.

About the Philly incident,that was indeed unfortunate but that was carried out under the leadership of a black mayor and i believe a black chief of police,I think double check on the police chief is needed.

Yes the in fighting between the back to Africa movement and the intergrationist has been unfortunate and while the intergrationist won the day maybe it could be a positive thing to fight within the belly of the beast so to speak.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
About the Philly incident,that was indeed unfortunate but that was carried out under the leadership of a black mayor

Yes, my point exactly! Even with blacks in political "power" they are still powerless to change the system because having been an economically and culturally dependent entity, they were allowed into the political space by the establishment in the 60s, never forget that fact.

Black integrationists always have it backwards. Economic power is fundamental. Jews established economic power long before they were interested in assimilation into goy society. Remember Jews were powerful long before Disraeli. The Jewish Lobby in America owes its existence and power to Jewish MONEY.

Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Yeah but all the economic power in the world couldn't help them when mister Hitler came to.... "POWER".
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
What do you mean? They declared war on him and defeat him, because of their international economic power used western nations to defeat Germany. Hitler feared their power, read The Transfer Agreement written by a Jew.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
What is the transfer agreement?
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
It's the name of a book that details the alliance between the Zionists and Nazis to build up Jewish homeland in Palestine.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Will look it up no Barns&Nobles around here.

But the point is perhaps not either or iether but both is needed untill that happends then things will be tough for AA's and Africans.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

4)Be the equal or the superior of others in education-see Nigerians and Barbadians-done*

You don't say. Come to think of it, I've been meeting dudes from Barbados in the offices for years now. Come to think of it, the only other Black guy where I'm at is from Barbados.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're illiterate then, as almost all of those posts contain information directly applicable to the subject of black american testing, the "African American Intelligence Quotient", and so on.
Typical afrocentrist, quick to result to silly ad hominem attacks when someone is trying to hold a rational discussion with you. I'm illiterate? I find that very hard to believe especially since I'm not the one who actually believes that the Ancient Carthaginians were all negroes, despite the fact that countless busts, coins and frescoes clearly show that they were not.

quote:
But its pretty clear from your vague and casual usage of terms like "races" that i'm probably not conversing with anyone knowledgeable.
Nothing vague about it. And I find it quite hilarious that you would lambaste my use of the term, especially since almost every single thread on this board is devoted to the discussion of race.

quote:
With African Americans in fixed environments scores are equal to or superior to those of mixed or white children, and black Americans outside of those environs have been shown to have scores that drop from virtual equality with whites by as much as 15 points before leveling out at age 25.
Please provide for me the exact source for this claim; I have a very busy schedule and as such I have no time to winnow through hundreds of posts. And after you have done as such, please explain to me why it is exactly this data does not correlate to reality: explain to me why it is that Howard University, a predominantly black school, has a graduation rate of 54% when the University of Virginia, a predominantly white school, has one of 92%. Why is it that black americans consistently score the lowest on standardized test scores such as the SAT, GRE, MCAT and the LSAT? At the school that I attend I am enrolled in course 20 (biological engineering), and out of 137 juniors only six are black; Why is this? In my previous post I drew reference to "Head Start," why is it that this program proved more effective in helping poor whites as opposed to poor blacks?

quote:
Anything empirical, anything aside from being *linked* with physical evidence is purely theoretical and purely uninteresting to me (physical evidence = actual gene expression -- not IQ, g-factor, "intelligence", dark hair, light skin, big teeth, long nose, etc).
Its not "theoretical," its science. And yes though you are right about the fact that at present there isn't any genetic evidence to substantiate such an idea (something as complex as human intelligence would be polygenetic and as such the exact genetic sequence would take years to analyse), it really isn't all that far-fetched when you look at it in terms of simple Darwinistic principles.

Also, let me just add that I am in no way advocating the idea that blacks are less intelligent than whites or asians. I am just simply pointing out the fact that data from standarized testing does in fact show that there is a difference between groups of people in terms academic achievement: Why is it that Asian and Jewish Americans are overrepesented in science and math based careers, yet African Americans are so grossly underrepresented, despite the fact that both groups combined make up less than 10% of the total US population, while blacks make up 13%. And the excuse about all this being due to racism, really doesn't suffice, since if you look at the stats from this government site, anti-semetism is almost just as bad as anti-black racism.

fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Fawal,

IQ tests measure IQ and are mainly determined by the environment.

This is completely false. IQ fundamentalists argue that it is almost entirely genetic, while egalitarian, far-left marxists agrue that it is entirely due to the environment. Reasonable evolutionary psychologists on the other hand argue that it is due to an interplay between genes and the environment. The debate revolves around to what extent IQ is genetic.

quote:
If IQ is such a big indicator of innate cognitive ability then please explain why AAs score higher than Indians(IQ 81), Iraq(83), Iran(84), Mexico(83), and most of South East Asia.

The scores that are attributed to Africa are mainly bogus because the assigned IQ of 70 is borderline retarded in the West. This means that the individual with an IQ of 70 could not lead an independent life, drive a taxi, use a cell phone, give correct change, go to the market without and escort, etc. Africans do all of those things easily. So IQ tests on that basis are just bunk--once you transfer them across cultures.

Yes I agree with you. Steven Pinker is the Johnstone Professor of Psychology at Harvard University. In his most recent book "The Blank Slate: The Denial of Human Nature," he notes that IQ tests, though precise in that they statistically predict life outcomes like school and job performance, psychiatric diagnoses and marital stability, are problematic when it comes to measuring across different populations. He notes that in order to get a test that "statistically predicts life outcomes" for people in a culture with no school, job performance, or Western notions of marital stability, you would have to completely rewrite the test to the point where it is not comparable with the one used on subjects from Western populations.
This however, really doesn't do much to explain why it is that blacks raised in a Western environment, consistently rank the lowest in terms of academic achievement.

quote:
James Flynn's recent text "What is Intelligence" shows that IQ tests are truly determined by enviroenmental factors. Get his book and try to read it.
You strike me as someone who has obviously never read any of the arguments that oppose your world view. First of all, I will repeat again: No contemporary psychologist (or evolutionary biologist for that matter) maintains that IQ is entirely environmental, to quote the psychologist Eric Turkheimer, "The nature-nurture debate is over. All human behavioral traits are heritable." And secondly, I would recommend that you read and internalize these articles here and here in which Linda Gottfredson quite effectively deconstructs Flynn's hypothesis.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Fawal,and you didn't read my above post now did you.Blacks the world over have had a tough 500yrs,they have been in basic survival mode for all that time,but still they perserver and in some cases pull ahead of others at what ever they set their minds to.People generally do what everbody else is doing in anygiven community.eg Jamaicans usually like to move to Brooklyn live in an apt.work 2~3 jobs save some money buy a house in Queens or Westchester N.Y or join the greater upscale Black migration to Atlanta.They are almost as a sterotype enter the auto-move repair industry for men and women become certified nurses.and resturant owners, Some will get in the music business as entertainers or producers and technicians. what I am saying is people living in the same communities will move in the similar patterns untill someone brakes the pattern and does something that proved even more successful than what was previously known. As a matter of fact I have family members chomping at the bits to setup shop here in Japan.Not to mention the car-parts business.

So to recap any group of people whose focus is on higher education will produce folks who is highly repersented in that field.You mentioned that at your uni. Blacks enter fields that are not math/science related i again refer you to Dr Degrasse comments.^^

BTW I havn't heard anyone on this forum proposed
an all "Black" population for Khart-Haddas,although Blacks were highly represented in all strata of the sociaty.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will only add this since some of these points have been neglected thus far and because Fawal doesn't seem as trollish as some of the others more than he is misguided.

quote:
to quote the psychologist Eric Turkheimer, "The nature-nurture debate is over. All human behavioral traits are heritable.
This statement is a broad one, though it still doesn't describe IQ since IQ is not a behavioral trait but rather a suggested property that lies dormant until utilized. It does not describe behavior although there are seeming correlations. Variance in behavior among humans has only been demonstrated to be cultural. This is actually the definition of culture (behavior that is passed on). This brings to the point that your claims are based on a false premise of racial units. No such distinct races can be defined nor can they be boxed in according to IQ. "Black" is not a "race". You did not adequately respond to lamin's post about the IQ and Wealth of nations table. So-called Blacks score higher than most of the Arab world, native Americans, and many southeast Asians. According to your Rushton style hierarchy, the so-called Caucasoids are for some reason behind these "Negroids". One explanation I've seen from white supremacists is because AAs are mixed. Most recent estimates place such admixture at 18%. Hardly substantial enough to overcome such a gap at the expense of the fellow Caucasoid brothers of Europeans.

Flynn's work is sound. He has shown CLEARLY that IQ is not genetic. He has shown that the IQ of blacks, over the past 30 years has risen as economic conditions improved and they gain a full 5 points relative to whites, hence it is not 85 which is an outdated number and it's above 90. This is IMPOSSIBLE under a genetic model. Nbsett has shown that adopted Black children of mixed and non-mixed ancestry actually out perform whites under the same settings. The hierarchy showed Blacks>>Mixed>>White, in terms of IQ score which is the exact opposite of what race loons would predict. Tobias and others have shown that 1), AA crania, when evaluated in context are larger than any white group (including white Americans) besides Swedes and 2) that Black Americans have an excess of at least 200,000 more brain neurons than white Americans. Sociologists have shown that in context, African immigrants (in America AND Britain) achieve much greater educational attainment than both white immigrants and white natural-born citizens. Finally, genetics prove that Blacks are more variable than whites and genetically more efficient in weeding out bad mutations given this variability. There were primates in Eurasia AND Africa, yet brain size and human intelligence evolved in Africa, not Eurasia. Intelligence by definition, is an African invention that can't be claimed by Europe or Europeans. This is an extremely weird debate for me as the evidence is clear and the main proponents of your view are considered fringe in the scientific community.

So let's review...

Race its self debunks you.

IQ its self debunks you.

Academics debunk you.

Genetics debunk you.

Fringe hack jobs who have no support in the scientific community however, support you.

Weighing the evidence, your case is just silly..

Also See:

Blacks smarter than whites?

How Caucasoids got such big crania and why they shrank: From Morton to Rushton

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kemp
Member # 16733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kemp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ If blacks are equal in intellgience why haven't they built or maintained any civilization?
Posts: 131 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Ask your mom.

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fawal:
I'm illiterate?

Dude. Yes. You failed to find any relevant information in the links and fail to demonstrate how any of it's irrelevant and there must be an explanation. You have to be a combination of some of these: illiterate, "low IQ", slow, and disingenuous.

quote:
Typical afrocentrist, quick to result to silly ad hominem attacks when someone is trying to hold a rational discussion with you. I'm not the one who actually believes that the Ancient Carthaginians were all negroes, despite the fact that countless busts, coins and frescoes clearly show that they were not.
Red herring and ad hominem.

What's the first thing you do after accusing me of ad-hominem? Commit it your self with claims attributed to some group i remind you of, but nevertheless, claims never made by me nor directly relevent to this discussion.

quote:
I find it quite hilarious that you would lambaste my use of the term,
Of course you do. You're confused.

Race originally means sub-species of Homo sapiens sapiens, a taxonomical entity that doesn't exist.

Sure, some use it in a sociological context, but as such it isn't a very scientific tool with which guage of anything biological.

Even in Africans, the folks of the continent with the highest degree of genetic diversity (more than that of every other geographic region combined), even in very distinct language groups the majority of the diversity is always within group diversity and not between group diversity -- and populations diverge genetically in Africa primarily based on language. What's more is that globally humans cluster first into African and non-African with people like Andamanese and Indonesians being more genetically distant from Africans than are the Middle Easterners and Europeans due to proximity (admixture), an example of the fact that phenotype can be misleading as far as genetic relatedness goes.

quote:
especially since almost every single thread on this board is devoted to the discussion of race.
Red herring.

quote:
quote:
With African Americans in fixed environments
Please provide for me the exact source for this claim
I did, it was in one of the links.

quote:
I have a very busy schedule and as such I have no time to winnow through hundreds of posts.
I'd figured you didn't read them, and there were only four posts i linked directly to.

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't in the long one. That leaves the 3 posts that were a few paragraphs or less in length.

quote:
please explain to me why it is exactly this data does not correlate to reality
It's not just data, it is reality; the black children mentioned in one of the posts i knew you hadn't read excelled those of other races from the *same* enriched environments.

quote:
quote:
Its not "theoretical," its science.
So ... you link to a page demonstrating that the brain is the center of intelligence ... no way kid, get outta here.

Theory and science btw are not mutually exclusive, so u still haven't said shyit.

quote:
it really isn't all that far-fetched when you look at it in terms of simple Darwinistic principles.
Failure.

Simple Darwinistic principles fail at times when the objective is analyses of "superior thinking". A simple example is that many disasters that could cleanly wipe birds, dolphins, and primates (us too) off the face of the Earth could leave things like micro-scopic bacteria and roaches.

Kemp
Member # 16733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kemp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
^Ask your mom.

The only civilization that arose in Africa was Egypt which was nordic.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sundjata

Good rebuttal of this kemp character. I refuse to acknowledge him on these forums. I will never direct a post at him because he is just a dumb racist. He does not deserve anymore then what you told him(Ask your mom)bahahhaahahahahah

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kemp
Member # 16733

Rate Member
An ancient scholar named Al-Jahiz saw blacks as being mentally inferior and inferior all around.

Like the crow among mankind are the Blacks for they are the worst of men and the most vicious of creatures in character and temperament.

Al Jahiz

Yep Al-Jahiz was a smart man for seeing you blacks asintellecutaly retarded.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Anyway.

All this was covered here:

African success, g-factor, etc [especially read the specific post linked up to]

ChairmanofBA
Member # 16757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChairmanofBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Kemp you Idiot. The book title is called the Superiority in glory of the Blacks over the Whites.Markellion where are you? school this fool will ya???
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brada-Anansi

No need to explain simple logic to a fool. They just latch onto anything that promotes there sick views. You should of just let the village idiot with a low selfesteem think he found someone who agrees with his demented views.

He's not worth responding to.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Yeah King, but the Mofo is on my thread!!!
Btw Al-Jahiz was of African decent.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fawal,
Maybe you cannot follow plain language. I said that IQ is mainly determined by the environment.

Let me show you why: 1) IQ scores must be constantly normed because they have been increasing at the rate of 0.30 points per year since 1947. If allowances were not made for such then the IQ scores of the grandparents of individuals who now score 100 would score 70 on the same test.

2) The Europeans have been in Europe for at least 35K years yet it is only in the last 150 years that the majority of them have learned to read and write. Thus if the average European were given a simple test of logical reasoning some 150 years ago that individual would have scored at the level of a moron. Clearly the reason why his/her descendants would score about 100 on average is due to the environment.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Farwal[obviously a fake Arab name),

You stupidly raise the question why blacks raised in Western countries score lower than whites and others? The simple answer is that in those Western countries the cultures in which blacks live are sufficiently diiferent from the mainstream culture to be correctly viewed as equivalent to distinctly different societies--as if such blacks lived in other countries.

Simple isn't it! Yet you are so brainwashed by the nonsense put out by the IQ boys that if they told you that Santa Claus existed you would believe it.

fawal
Member # 16388

quote:
So to recap any group of people whose focus is on higher education will produce folks who is highly repersented in that field.You mentioned that at your uni. Blacks enter fields that are not math/science related i again refer you to Dr Degrasse comments.^^

No one is denying the fact that there are in fact very talented black people. The point is that ON AVERAGE, data based on years of standardized testing shows that unfortunately most are not. I have actually met Dr. Tyson; he has guested lectured at my school on several occasions. And yes, though he is very brilliant, the fact of the matter is, that he really hasn't contributed much to the scientific community at large (though it should be noted that he is still young).

quote:
BTW I havn't heard anyone on this forum proposed
an all "Black" population for Khart-Haddas,although Blacks were highly represented in all strata of the sociaty.

Oh yes they have. Earlier this year I had a brief discussion with a few of them after reading a thread which claimed that Hannibal and the Ancient Carthaginians were all black Africans. And as far as the statement that blacks were "highly represented," I find that quite odd, especially since if you look at the art left by the Carthaginians themselves, or if you look at the frescoes in the ancient citadels, it quickly becomes apparent that that statement doesn't hold any water.
fawal
Member # 16388

quote:
Variance in behavior among humans has only been demonstrated to be cultural.
This is a complete fallacy and ties in with the philosophy of tabula rasa, or the idea that the human mind is a completely blank slate from birth, and must be shaped from socialization. Most modern day geneticists and evolutionary psychologists do not agree with this as it completely contradicts years of research in twin studies, and also because it does not adhere to simple Darwinistic principles. Michael Jackson was a great singer simply because he was born that way - if you ever read a biography of him you would realize at the very tender age three he had already had far better voice control than most older performers, despite the fact that he had never had formal voice training. By your logic, any average Joe on the street can be just as good as a performer or even better than Michael Jackson "if they just try hard enough." The reality is that this really just isn't the case. You do not become a great performer of the caliber of MJ, you must be born that way. Steven Pinker completely lays waste to this idea in his newest book.

quote:
This brings to the point that your claims are based on a false premise of racial units. No such distinct races can be defined nor can they be boxed in according to IQ.
Oh I see, so you adhere to dogma spouted by the PC "race doesn't exist" crowd. People like Franz Boas, Steven J. Gould, and most recently Jared Diamond would have you believe that evolution stopped as soon as man left Africa. Anyone with a basic understanding of evolutionary principles knows that this simply just cannot be the case. Early hominids who left Africa would have had to adapt to better survive in their newfound environments. This phenomena would have been accomplished via gene mutations. To better give you an idea of how dramatic these mutations can be, I will draw a reference from cystic fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis is a disease caused by a recessive mutation in a gene located on chromosome 7. This gene codes for a 1480 amino acid long chloride channel known as CFTR. Now the importance of this channel is that it allows the diffusion of chloride ions in and out of the cell. In CF suffers this fuction does not occur, and as a result they suffer from a buildup of abnormally thick, sticky mucus which eventually clogs the intestines, lungs, pancreas and liver. In addition males are almost always infertile and females frequently infertile. Now there are approximately 20,000 genes in the human genome. These genes can combine to form an almost infinite number of sequences (found via taking the factorial of 20,000). In the case of CF we can see whereby the alteration in the structure of a single gene, thereby resulting in the complete rearrangement of the genetic sequence, produces phenotypically a profound effect(a debilitating lifelong disease). Yes it is true that all humans are 99.9% identical; however the genetic distance between humans, though statistically minute, is still profound enough to produce a large phenotypic difference. To get a better understanding of the implications of this fact, I would recommend that you watch this video. Let me just enlighten you on something, for every researcher that you can find that espouses the ideology that race is merely a social construct, you can find another that does not. Moreover I'll pose the exact same question that I asked you on another thread: If "races" (i.e. groups of people genetically isolated over time, and therefore subject to the effects of mutations and adaptations to better acclimate themselves to their environment) do not exist and we are all 100% genetically identical, then why is it that sickle-cell anemia is found mostly among people of recent Sub-Saharan ancestry, while cystic fibrosis is found predominantly amongst Europeans? I would strongly recommend that you read the work of Vincent Sarich; he's the Emeritus Professor of Anthropology at Berkeley, and really has very little patience for the "race does not exist crowd."

quote:
You did not adequately respond to lamin's post about the IQ and Wealth of nations table. So-called Blacks score higher than most of the Arab world, native Americans, and many southeast Asians. According to your Rushton style hierarchy, the so-called Caucasoids are for some reason behind these "Negroids". One explanation I've seen from white supremacists is because AAs are mixed. Most recent estimates place such admixture at 18%. Hardly substantial enough to overcome such a gap at the expense of the fellow Caucasoid brothers of Europeans.
In what way exactly did I not respond adequately? For starters, I didn't even respond to that assertion myself, I simply relayed the explanation given by the evolutionary psychologist Steven Pinker in his latest book. If you have an issue with this explanation, I recommend you take it up with him (you can reach him at either (617) 491-4437 or (508) 349-0280)

quote:
Flynn's work is sound. He has shown CLEARLY that IQ is not genetic. He has shown that the IQ of blacks, over the past 30 years has risen as economic conditions improved and they gain a full 5 points relative to whites, hence it is not 85 which is an outdated number and it's above 90. This is IMPOSSIBLE under a genetic model.
That sounds like your opinion. By chance did you even read the rebuttals offered by Linda Gottfredson? Just so you know she actually had a debate with James Flynn moderated by the Cato Institute, and let me just say that at the end of it all it was really quite clear who the winner was, and it most certainly wasn't Flynn.

quote:
Nbsett has shown that adopted Black children of mixed and non-mixed ancestry actually out perform whites under the same settings. The hierarchy showed Blacks>>Mixed>>White, in terms of IQ score which is the exact opposite of what race loons would predict.
I would love to see a source for this please; And furthermore I am going to ask you the exact same question that I posed to "Whatbox" : If this is all true, why it is that Howard University, a predominantly black school, has a graduation rate of 54% when the University of Virginia, a predominantly white school, has one of 92%. Why is it that black americans consistently score the lowest on standardized test scores such as the SAT, GRE, MCAT and the LSAT? At the school that I attend I am enrolled in course 20 (biological engineering), and out of 137 juniors only six are black; Why is this? In my previous post I drew reference to "Head Start," why is it that this program proved more effective in helping poor whites as opposed to poor blacks?

quote:
Tobias and others have shown that 1), AA crania, when evaluated in context are larger than any white group (including white Americans) besides Swedes and 2) that Black Americans have an excess of at least 200,000 more brain neurons than white Americans.
I never said anything about head size, and 200,000 more neurons is supposed to prove what exactly? Based on years of psychometric research it most certainly doesn't correlate to increased intelligence as measured through standardized testing. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Sociologists have shown that in context, African immigrants (in America AND Britain) achieve much greater educational attainment than both white immigrants and white natural-born citizens.
Sunjata as an African myself, let me just inform you that the Africans who can actually afford to migrate to The West in the first place, are those who generally come from well to do families in the first place. Case in point the Zambian born economist Dambisa Moyo. If you watch this interview with her here on the National Review; you will see that she actually comes from a family of intellectuals. Kofi Annan's family was actually part of Ghana's elite class, with both his grandfathers and uncles being tribal chiefs. Kwame Anthony Appiah's father was an affluent Ghanian politician and attorney. These people all represent an "elite" class, and most of them would be among those you find in the upper quartile of the bell curve. The upper quartile is completely irrelevant; what is of concern is the middle 50% of the bell curve form which you would derive the absolute average of the entire population. The claim that black african immigrants outperform native born whites in the west is really quite disingenuous, as it compares this small elite class against the much larger white population(composed of people from all ranks along the bell curve). A more objective assessment would be to compare the black african upper quartile with the native born white upper quartile. Also there are a little over 1 million African Immigrants (including North Africans) residing in the US, as opposed to 800 million living in Sub-Saharan Africa. The idea of taking this small population, which really only accounts for a drop in the bucket, and trying to extrapolate this as representative of the entire population is really quite nonsensical.

quote:
Finally, genetics prove that Blacks are more variable than whites and and genetically more efficient in weeding out bad mutations given this variability.
I would to see a peer reviewed source that substantiates the claim that blacks" are genetically more efficient in weeding out bad mutations given this variability."

quote:
Intelligence by definition, is an African invention that can't be claimed by Europe or Europeans.
How the f*ck is it exactly that human intelligence (an abstract property produced via 3.5 billion years of blind natural selection) an "African Invention." You know you really are beginning to take this Afrocentrism thing really out of hand.

quote:
This is an extremely weird debate for me as the evidence is clear and the main proponents of your view are considered fringe in the scientific community.
The only reason it is considered "fringe," is because of the fact that most intellectuals are liberal and politically correct, and as such are afraid to swallow logic and inconvenient truths. When James Watson got into trouble a few years ago it really wasn't because what he was saying was necessarily wrong (he merely expressed the view that his hope was that everyone is equal, though all testing shows not really), but simply because he dared to shatter the egalitarian world view that is tantamount to liberalism. The fact of the matter is you cannot pretend that evolution ended when man left Africa, especially since natural selection is dependent on mutations and genetic recombination of alleles both of which take place during gametogenesis.

quote:
Fringe hack jobs who have no support in the scientific community however, support you.

Who exactly are the fringe hack jobs? All of the people that I have mentioned are some of the most brilliant minds of their generation. [Embarrassed]
fawal
Member # 16388

quote:
So ... you link to a page demonstrating that the brain is the center of intelligence ... no way kid, get outta here.

Theory and science btw are not mutually exclusive, so u still haven't said shyit.

I think you need to read that link again, as that article, published in March of this year clearly shows that the tests do in fact measure what the are supposed to, completely dispelling the myth that the tests aren't an accurate measure of intelligence.

quote:
Failure.

Simple Darwinistic principles fail at times when the objective is analyses of "superior thinking". A simple example is that many disasters that could cleanly wipe birds, dolphins, and primates (us too) off the face of the Earth could leave things like micro-scopic bacteria and roaches.

Huh???

I find it quite odd Whatbox that you completely skimmed over some of the most pertinent questions I posed to you. So I'll ask them again:
Why it is that Howard University, a predominantly black school, has a graduation rate of 54% when the University of Virginia, a predominantly white school, has one of 92%. Why is it that black americans consistently score the lowest on standardized test scores such as the SAT, GRE, MCAT and the LSAT? At the school that I attend I am enrolled in course 20 (biological engineering), and out of 137 juniors only six are black; Why is this? In my previous post I drew reference to "Head Start," why is it that this program proved more effective in helping poor whites as opposed to poor blacks?

fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 11 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Fawal,
Maybe you cannot follow plain language. I said that IQ is mainly determined by the environment.

Let me show you why: 1) IQ scores must be constantly normed because they have been increasing at the rate of 0.30 points per year since 1947. If allowances were not made for such then the IQ scores of the grandparents of individuals who now score 100 would score 70 on the same test.

2) The Europeans have been in Europe for at least 35K years yet it is only in the last 150 years that the majority of them have learned to read and write. Thus if the average European were given a simple test of logical reasoning some 150 years ago that individual would have scored at the level of a moron. Clearly the reason why his/her descendants would score about 100 on average is due to the environment.

See the Linda Gottfredson links above. [Roll Eyes]
fawal
Member # 16388

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fawal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Farwal[obviously a fake Arab name),

I am not an "Arab," I am 100% Imazighen and proud. And quite frankly I really couldn't give a sh*t about whether you choose to believe me or not. [Embarrassed]

quote:
You stupidly raise the question why blacks raised in Western countries score lower than whites and others? The simple answer is that in those Western countries the cultures in which blacks live are sufficiently diiferent from the mainstream culture to be correctly viewed as equivalent to distinctly different societies--as if such blacks lived in other countries.

Simple isn't it! Yet you are so brainwashed by the nonsense put out by the IQ boys that if they told you that Santa Claus existed you would believe it.

Oh I see, so your taking the whole Thomas Sowell approach as documented in his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals," where he tried to ascribe these differences to being solely due to culture. All right then, just elaborate for me just how it is exactly that "black culture," differs from mainstream american culture.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by fawal:
the tests do in fact measure what the are supposed to

Fawal:

i can read. The brain scans may be predictive of IQ scores, but my point still stands.

When i commented about hard evidence i didn't have an article stating intelligent brains are different in mind.

I'm already aware of the fact that things like wrinkles etc accumulate in growing minds,

just as muscle tone and mass grows with those growing in physical strength.

A better guage of innate muscle potential is greater bone density in some individuals compared to others, just as a better guage for smarter folks are brains more thickly laced with gray matter -- nuerons, of which African Americans have about 200 million more, and of which, young childrens reach the trillions before loosing all their unused neurons.

Really i consider us at such a primitive and in ways wasteful times as far as the mind is concerned i don't even find 'measuring "up" to IQ' talk fruitful.

quote:
I find it quite odd Whatbox that you completely skimmed over some of the most pertinent questions I posed to you.
I don't, because they were answered in the links to anyone with a willing and functional mind.

Heyy guess what Fawal: weightlifting is an accurate measure of innate muscle strength.

Running is an innate measure of fitness.

Why do black people have a problem with being overweight and eating right (diabetes)?

Could it be that if you spent two seconds around the ones with the problems and the ones without, that you'd know?

Why do blacks from majority black African countries excell? (clickable link)

Same thing for black immigrants from majority black and African descent countries like Barbadians and Bohamians.

Why would they do better than white or black Americans, why would Jews [mixed] or Asians do better than whites?

Why do involuntary minority immigrants world wide have IQs 15 points below their conterpart majorities worldwide, why do voluntary migrants with [self-]respected cultures do better?

Why, when these low-caste folks move to other countries do they turn around and do just as well as the majority populations who've immigrated with them?

Why do people make tautologies and then mask them as legitamit idiotic [rhetorical] questions?

Answer: it all has to do with perception.

When basic survival is front and center, that is what people get primarily concerned with. They have a lot of kids and easily get over weight if possible. (Don't blame me, blame Darwin).

Same thing goes for strength. When that is front and center and people feel weak they flock to things they feel represent strength: they build muscle, buy or make weapons, are emotional and negative, flock to gangs or to guys in gangs, etc -- they don't read books, lol, that's an evolutionary step further. First thing's are first.

Some stress maybe good for tests, but ability to focus and concentrate is better for learning or getting smarter.

Not to again mention the developments that happen in pre-toddler aged kids minds that grow and shrink at monumental rates.

quote:
"Compared mean IQ test performance and response styles to cognitive demands of the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC) among 23 Black children (aged 7-10 yrs) who had been adopted by middle-class White families (i.e., transracially adopted) and 23 age-matched Black children who had been adopted by middle-class Black families (i.e., traditionally adopted). Findings indicate that while the traditionally adopted Ss received normal IQ scores, transracially adopted Ss showed nearly 1 standard deviation Full-Scale Scoring advantage over them. A multiple analysis of variance (MANOVA) indicated significant differences in the styles of responding to test demands demonstrated by the 2 groups of Ss, which were conceptualized as contributors to the difference in average test score observed between them. Multivariate analysis of the helping behaviors adopted mothers exhibited when helping their children solve a difficult cognitive task revealed significant differences between Black and White mothers, which were conceptualized as culturally determined. White adopted mothers tended to release tension by joking, grinning, and laughing, while Black adoptive mothers more often released tension in less positive ways such as scowling, coughing, and frowning. White adoptive mothers were more likely than Black adoptive mothers to provide positive evaluations of their children's problem solving efforts. It is concluded that the ethnicity of the rearing environment exerts a significant influence on children's styles of responding to standardized intelligence tests and on their test achievement."
quote:
"An experiment by Tizard and colleagues compared black and white orphans who had all been raised in the same highly enriched institutional environment. At four or five years of age, white children had IQs of 103, black children had IQs of 108, and children of mixed race had IQs of 106."
quote:
the children fathered by black American G.I.s in postwar Germany and brought up by their German mothers have the same I.Q.s as the children of white American G.I.s and German mothers. The difference, in that case, was not the fact of the children’s blackness, as a fundamentalist would say. It was the fact of their Germanness—of their being brought up in a different culture, under different circumstances. “The mind is much more like a muscle than we’ve ever realized,” Flynn said. “It needs to get cognitive exercise. It’s not some piece of clay on which you put an indelible mark.” The lesson to be drawn from black and white differences was the same as the lesson from the Netherlands years ago: I.Q. measures not just the quality of a person’s mind but the quality of the world that person lives in.

quote:
"British blacks from Africa are a more educated group as a whole than are whites in the United Kingdom"
- "African-Born Blacks in the United Kingdom Are Far More Likely than Whites to Hold a College Degree", The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 34 (Winter, 2001-2002), pp. 29-31

quote:
"A study by Witty and Jenkins (1934) identified 63 children in a sample of black Chicago schoolchildren with IQs of 125 or above and 28 with IQs of 140 or above. On the basis of their self reports about ancestry, the investigators classified the children into several categories of Europeanness. The children with IQs of 125 or above, as well as those with IQs of 140 or above, had slightly less European ancestry than the best estimate for the American black population at the time.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fawal – You brought up a very pertinent point with your statement: quote – “I am 100% Imazighen and proud”. Actually your statement goes to the heart of my argument that the I.Q. issue is a White racist invention to confuse the truth. Please note the definition of Imazighen that I found on Answers.com. True this particular site is a piece-of-sh1t, but it does speak to the propensity White people have, for spreading lies and misinformation, in their never-ending effort to rewrite history to include themselves, and exclude the people who actually made the history - Blacks.

My question to you is:
If this is a Imazighen or Berber;

-

Then who are these White People who call themselves Imazighen or Berbers? He he.

-

Definition of Imazighen from Answers.com.

Many Berbers call themselves some variant of the word Imazighen (singular: Amazigh), possibly meaning "free people"

Berbers, aboriginal Caucasoid peoples of N Africa, called Imazighen in the Tamazight language. They inhabit the lands lying between the Sahara and the Mediterranean Sea and between Egypt and the Atlantic Ocean. The Berbers form a substantial part of the populations of Libya, Algeria, and Morocco. Except for the nomadic Tuareg, the Berbers traditionally were small farmers, living under a loose tribal organization in independent villages with local industries (iron, copper, lead, pottery, weaving, and embroidery). The Berbers are Sunni Muslims, and their native languages are Afroasiatic languages, but most literate Berbers also speak Arabic, the language of their religion. Berber languages are spoken by about 12 million people, not all of whom are considered ethnic Berbers.
Despite a history of conquests, the Berbers retained a remarkably homogeneous culture, which, on the evidence of Egyptian tomb paintings, derives from earlier than 2400 B.C. The alphabet of the only partly deciphered ancient Libyan inscriptions is close to the script still used by the Tuareg. The origins of the Berbers are uncertain, although many theories have been advanced relating them to the Canaanites, the Phoenicians, the Celts, the Basques, and the Caucasians. In classical times the Berbers formed such states as Mauretania and Numidia.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

I'm not sure how a people aboriginal to any area other than the Caucasus could be Caucasoid unless they were descended from them but hey.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sources:

quote:
Originally posted by Freehand:
I'VE always thought that it'd be nice to find out how we can maximize a child's potential:

quote:
Four weeks after conception, the embryo's neurons are already forming at an astonishing rate: 250,000 each minute. By 8 months, a baby's brain holds 1,000 trillion synapses, the vital junctions that connect neurons. By age 10, those synapses drop down to about 500 trillion, under a "use it or lose it" principle that prunes away underutilized connections to make the most active ones stronger. The brain is thus sculpted by experience: researchers found that when mothers spolke to their infants often, their children learned almost 300 more words by age 2 than did children whose mothers rarely spoke to them.
In my experience, babes just need to feel alot of love and appreciation. And attention, and interaction. For todds and older children aswell, this lyric is so true! I've seen many kids act that lyric out:

"I am, whatever you say I am, if I wasn't, then why would you say I am?" [Big Grin]

-

-

quote:
Originally posted by afroblack:
We don't even need African Immigrants to prove our equality to your race.

Bond (1924) early last century pointed out that the average IQ scores of African Americans from several northern states were higher than those for whites from many southern states (Bond, 1924a, p. 63). He argued that African Americans who migrated to the North must have left their "duller and less accomplished White fellows in the South." Indeed, at that time upward of 85% of African Americans resided in the South, as most still do, to do this day. Bond also believed that IQ test scores reflected social and educational training. Inline with this belief, Jenkins's (1936) reported the results of IQ tests given to Black and White children in Illinois, and found that the proportion of students with scores over 130 was the same among Black and White children when environmental influences were comparable. A study involving Caribbean children would essentially replicate these findings. For example, this study found that when raised in the same enriched institutional environments as white children; black children demonstrated superior IQ test scores. The IQ’s of the children in this particular orphanage were: Blacks 108, Mixed 106, and Whites 103 (Tizard et al, 1972).

In the United States, when matched for IQ with Whites, American Blacks have been shown to demonstrate superior “Working Memory ” (Nijenhuis et al., 2004). This is an interesting finding, as African Americans are typically taught by less qualified teachers (e.g. non-certified teachers and teachers with limited experience) than their white counterparts, and are provided with less challenging school work (Hallinan 1994; Diamond et al., 2004; Uhlenberg and Brown 2004).

Serpell et al. (2006) took 162 low-income African American and white fourth graders and assigned them, randomly, to ethnically homogeneous groups of three to work on a motion acceleration task, using computer simulation or physical tools; or to a control group that did not participate in the learning activities. It was shown that both African American and White students performed equally well on the test of initial learning, with both groups scoring significantly higher than the control group. However, this study also found that African American’s transfer outcomes were superior to those of their White counterparts (Serpell et al., 2006). The study demonstrated, empirically, that not only do African American children learn as well as white children, but that they may also exceed white children in their ability to transfer learned abilities to real tasks; further highlighting the need for better education for this group.

Barnes (1972) noted that the Stanford-Binet, and the Wisc IQ tests are examples of “Culture specific tests,” and that the culture in this instance is what is referred to as “white middle class” culture. Lyman (1970) designed a cross cultural test called the “American Cross Culture Ethnic Nomenclature Test”, or “ACCENT.” The instrument contained 20 black biased and 20 white biased items. In one experiment this test was administered to 110 undergraduates (91 whites and 19 blacks). It was found that the black participants out performed the white participants, with blacks obtaining a mean of 15.3 on the black items and 11.1 on the white items, while white subjects obtained a mean of 12.7 on the white items and 8.3 on the black items. The results indicate that when blacks and whites are tested cross-culturally that blacks may outperform whites.

Africa isn't in the condition it is in because of Low IQ's.

Research has shown that IQ test scores tend to correlate negatively with scores of practical intelligence (Sternberg, 2001, 2004). Practical intelligence can be described as a person’s ability to apply learned skills and knowledge to everyday, real life tasks; or how to handle challenging situations. There is currently a lot of evidence demonstrating IQ tests to be unable to gauge a person’s overall potential or aptitude for learning (see Bradshaw, 2001; Siegel, 1989; Sternberg & Grigorenko, 2002a). What this means essentially is that a person who scores unusually high on an IQ test may not be an especially great learner (Sternberg, 2001). In fact, high scoring individuals may actually be demonstrating deficits in other areas; particularly in areas involving adaptive behavior or “practical intelligence” (See Sternberg, 2001).

quote:
Originally posted by thegaul:
Also, the situation of NON-Voluntary versus VOLUNTARY immigrants/emigrants seems to be the same worldwide:

"Herrnstein and Murray mention the work of John Ogbu, an anthropologist who has distinguished a number of types of oppressed minorities. A key category is that of "caste-like" minorities who are regarded by themselves and others as inferior, and who, if they are immigrants, are not voluntary immigrants. This category includes the Harijans in India, the Buraku and Koreans in Japan, and the Maori in New Zealand. He distinguishes them from groups like Chinese and Jews who are voluntary immigrants and have a culture of self-respect. If higher socio-economic status Blacks still are to some extent part of a caste-like minority, then they will be at an environmental disadvantage relative to higher socio-economic status Whites. But low status Blacks and Whites are more likely to share a caste background. As Henry Louis Gates, Jr., points out (New Republic, October 31, 1994), affirmative action has had the effect of quadrupling the size of the Black middle class since 1967 . Most middle class Blacks have arrived in the middle classes relatively recently, many of them under less than ideal conditions for the development of self-respect. It would be surprising if children of these newly middle-class Blacks were to have fully escaped their caste background in so short a time.

Ogbu notes that where IQ tests have been given, "the children of these caste-like minorities score about 10-15 points . . . lower than dominant group children ." He notes further that differences remain "when minority and dominant group members are of similar socioeconomic background." But when "members of a caste-like minority group emigrate to another society, the twin problem of low IQ test scores and low academic achievement appears to disappear. Data suggest that the Buraku who have emigrated to this country do "at least as well at school and the work place" as other Japanese."

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/faculty/block/papers/Heritability.html

This explains clearly why African immigrants achieve higher education levels than their immigrant and non-immigrant counterparts. Interestingly, the great majority of them are from majority black countries in east and west Africa. [Wink] [Cool]

quote:
Research on the assimilation of immigrants has raised the topic of the extent to which the socioeconomic attainments of the second generation differ from mainstream (i.e., the third-and-higher generation) Americans. We investigate this issue for African Americans using the Current Population Survey from 1994 to 2004. Our results indicate that the schooling and wages of second-generation African American women exceed those of the third-and-higher generation African Americans. Furthermore, second-generation African American women do not face a direct racial socioeconomic disadvantage at least in the sense that their schooling and wages are also greater than the third-and-higher generation non-Hispanic white women. Although years of schooling among second-generation African American men is on average as high as for the third-and-higher generation non-Hispanic white men, and the wages of second-generation African American men lag behind those of the third-and-higher non-Hispanic white men even after controlling for basic demographic characteristics. Second-generation African American men have higher wages than the third-and-higher generation African American men, but the wages of second-generation African American men are about 11% less than the third-and-higher generation non-Hispanic white men after controlling for schooling and other basic demographic characteristics. The theoretical implications of these findings for theories of the assimilation of African Americans are discussed.
Lastly the fact that black women out achieve black men in terms of careers and equal or surpass white women -- while black men lag. There's obviously a sociological answer here; no further questions.

quote:
JACK KAPLAN:

The argument that IQ tests are valid measures of intelligence rests ultimately on the mathematically complex subject of statistical factor analysis, and therefore cannot be fully understood by people who lack technical training. But common sense should convince any reasonable person that something is fishy.

A typical intelligence test asks a variety of questions, many of which are of the type one learns to answer in school. For example, if you take a Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale test, probably the leading IQ test currently in use, you will be asked to define words; to answer factual and comprehension questions; and to do simple arithmetic problems.

An old version of the test, no longer in use, includes the following questions: what is the meaning of the word "reluctant"?; name three kinds of blood vessels; why does the state require people to get a license before they get married?; a coat that normally sells for $600 is reduced by 15 percent during a sale---what is the price of the coat?

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems perfectly plain to me that the likelihood of answering such questions correctly is heavily affected by, among other things, the quality and quantity of the education one receives as well as by one's intelligence.

In fact, it seems obvious to me that how well a person does on an IQ test depends on a variety of factors besides intelligence: education, reading habits, experience with and attitudes toward taking tests, upbringing, and mental and physical health, to name a few.

Intelligence is difficult to define precisely, but we can all agree that it refers to intellectual ability as opposed to intellectual achievement. No one, so far as I know, thinks that physical ability can be reliably measured by having people tested on a variety of physical skills--running, jumping, swimming, doing push-ups, etc.--and then doing a factor analysis of the results. Why should intellectual ability be any different?

Count me among those who regard the study of intelligence as more pseudo-science than science.

Department of Mathematics
Quinnipiac College
Hamden, Connecticut

Yay i did some push ups and other conditioning excersizes and did quantifiably good and they evens measured my muscles. Yay I'm genetics over the fat and slow or skinny and scrawny white kids in my neighborhood that don't go outside near as much as i do.

Anyway:

my hypothesis in my reply to lamin's post on sports

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody get the impression that Fawal might be a regular contributor to a racialist website. For a Tunisian he seems well versed in racial politics of America. It almost seems like he is superimposting a Tunisian identity upon himself to validate his views and fit into Egyptsearch. Either way, he should be able to support his views without deception and simply stand upon his own views.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Does anybody get the impression that Fawal might be a regular contributor to a racialist website. For a Tunisian he seems well versed in racial politics of America. It almost seems like he is superimposting a Tunisian identity upon himself to validate his views and fit into Egyptsearch. Either way, he should be able to support his views without deception and simply stand upon his own views.

They aren't uncommon on the net.

Their net personalities stick out like sore thumbs when you think of the people thye claim to be you've met in real life.

They often get busted by the real things on the net.

Who knows? [Confused]

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ you really need to get over your silly paranoia and just debate him with facts and sound argument. Why does it matter if he is Arab or white? He could be Jewish [your favorite white group [Eek!] ] as alot of Jews argue this way too.
quote:
These people all represent an "elite" class, and most of them would be among those you find in the upper quartile of the bell curve.
Maybe to raise the standard of black intelligence we should begin Eugenics movement? lol Zionists advocated it and in practice Jews have an informal version of it through extreme in-group breeding, of course a centuries old culture of study must have helped too making intelligence both genetic and environmental.

quote:
A more objective assessment would be to compare the black african upper quartile with the native born white upper quartile.
Ok, good point. What does the stats show here?
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Fawal, look!! Like I have been trying to tell you it's about how and what any given community focused on. If it's Higher education it will show,if It's drug running It will show,If it's about small time trade it will show,The black community is diverse and there are in fact not one Black community but multiple black communities,some is ethnic based some economicly based Eg* someone like myself would have very little in common with some like Vernon Jordon and the crowd he hangs out with,but both of us are Blacks.The fact that you are a Amazigh and I don't know if you are American born or when you migrated to the states,the fact is you should know better.for the majority of your people lived no better than the Majority of other Africans,how do I know this I am friends with Moroccans,Tunsians,Egyptians, Ethiopians and Somailians and others who attend the University of Kyushu and hang out at my place.their stories are in fact no different than the Camaroonians,Nigerians,Ghanians and others about the dire streights most of their countryfolks faced.So for you to have your shot at education and fortune in the West and then turn around and thumped your nose at darker skinned Africans or poor folks of African decent then shame on you for you know better...But for the grace of god goes I. For your migration story and I know you have one is proberly very similar to my own.

The battle you had with some folks sometime ago has to do with Hannibal now if you have the chance look up a physcial anthropologist called S.Gesell...he did alot of research on the bones of the people of Khart-Haddass,people argue over Hannibal because of the Coins or the bust.IF you look at the bust he looks non black in the image of Herakules,If it's the coins he looks Black which he could have been.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com