EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Some Images from Ancient Egyptian Art (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Some Images from Ancient Egyptian Art
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Temple of Hatshepsut:
 -

Ahmose Nefertari:
 -

Ptah:

-

Mummy from 3rd intermediate period:

-

-

Ashayt Sarcophagus from Egyptian museum (most likely a reproduction) Note the light green (and sometimes pink colors worn by these women):
 -
From: http://www.digitalrailroad.net/KennethGarrettPhotography/Search/SearchResults.aspx?sm=Basic&kws=%22Egypt%3B+Egyptian+Museum%22

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thutmosis III stela:

-

Mummy Mask

-

Mummy Mask
 -

Menkaure statues:

-

Sarcophagus:

-

Fragment from Fitzwilliam museum:

-

Tutankhamun:

-

Queen
 -

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Blaze
Member # 13931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Blaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful pics, keep it coming. I can never get enough of looking at this art, and sculptures.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Tomb of Mentuherkhepeshef son of Ramses IX, dynasty 19:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_tombimages_833.html

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
f@@hhing wacko nut [Roll Eyes] !!!

Sorry Doug for messing up the thread. My brother and 10yo just back from the tour. Didn't like the guide he said next time he will do Asha Kwesi. Said there is definitely a difference between Cairo and Luxur. Seems to be strong ethnic line between the Nubians and the "Egyptians". He will drop some pics on a DVD for me. I will see if I can post some good ones. Said the size of the temples etc are unbelievable.

quote:
Originally posted by Hori:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
He gets them down at the crossroads from Elegba!

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrann0saurus:
^ Agreed, Doug always seems to find the best wall paintings. I wonder where he finds them?

alTakruri, what are you really saying? Your cryptography goes over my head often times.

Please break it down for the learners.

Also, please do be extra vigilant with your TNV account. The gang is very sore right now. I have dragged them around on a leash tied to the behind of my chariot for many days now on ES.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Whom are you referring to as "Nubian" here?
Egyptians from Luxor to Aswan are Egyptians. Self identified "Nubians" are those who live in the extreme North of Sudan. They are Sudanese by nationality. So what you really seem to be saying is that there is a strong line between Cairene Egyptians and Egyptians from the South, which makes sense to anyone who knows anything about the last 2000 years of Egyptian history.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Hey Doug

Please feel free to join and create your classic picture threads ('pages' in wiki talk): http://www.aegyptopedia.com/

I will ensure no funny business goes on there. And I'll be pushing the site hard on google.

YH.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. That's why I used quotation marks. Apperently the Nubians don't like to be classified as . . . the "other" group.

One observation he made was the MONEY brought in by AE tourism. Not sure about this but he said (tourguide) that tourism was the largest money earner in Egypt. And this is an oil producing country. And guess who are the tourist. Not AA. But white Europeans. Millions . . .maybe not so much. [Big Grin] . .of them every year.

His 10yr really enjoyed it. Was eager to talk about it. Eye opening trip you a young Black male.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Whom are you referring to as "Nubian" here?
Egyptians from Luxor to Aswan are Egyptians. Self identified "Nubians" are those who live in the extreme North of Sudan. They are Sudanese by nationality. So what you really seem to be saying is that there is a strong line between Cairene Egyptians and Egyptians from the South, which makes sense to anyone who knows anything about the last 2000 years of Egyptian history.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
You still haven't answered the question. Who are you referring to as "Nubian"? What regions and people are you considering "Nubian" and what is the distinguishing factor? Darker skinned people in Upper Egypt are EGYPTIANS, not "Nubians".
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Interesting, almost a perfect match:

-

-
Man restoring reliefs at a Ramessid temple.

Nice....

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I haven't seen the people he was referring to but knowing my brother I will assume he was talking about(nubians) the non-Arabs AA looking Egyptians. Whom he considers the AE.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
You still haven't answered the question. Who are you referring to as "Nubian"? What regions and people are you considering "Nubian" and what is the distinguishing factor? Darker skinned people in Upper Egypt are EGYPTIANS, not "Nubians".

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I understand but Non Arab, AA looking Egyptians are just that Egyptians. Nubians are those around Aswan into Northern Sudan and they self identify as such. Calling someone in Egypt Nubian just because they have dark skin in Egypt is a misapplication of the term IMO.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some other images from the tomb of Nedjemger and Hori:

Huge images so just go to the page:

http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/volltexte/2006/6227/html/feucht.html

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alabaster bust of a random Pharaoh:

-

Amenemope

-

-

-

Hatshepsut:

-

male god:

-

Funerary pots:

-

Hatnofer's funerary mask:

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Hatshepsut:

-

Nectanebo's Sphinxes:

-

King Senwroset III:

-

Kneeling statue of Senenmut:

-

Some Pharaoh:

-

Amenhotep, son of Nebiry:

-

Hatshepsut or Thutmoses III

-

-

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

^Think that last one was posted by Doug already in the race of the AE thread or possibly here. Not sure where, so it's sticking here.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Sarcoughogus

-

Metjetji:

Old Kingdom, late Dynasty 5-early Dynasty 6, circa 2371-2288 B.C.
Probably from Saqqara
Wood, gessoed and painted; alabaster, obsidian, and copper
51.1, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund

-

-

Senenmut and Neferura:

-

-

-

-

Modern Egyptian art in the making. (Alabaster)

Painting kerosene on Egyptian wall reliefs (helps preserve them):

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Brewery and bakery:

-

Some King (Pharaoh)

-

Wah (man who became a God)

-

Wah's jewelry:

-

Boats

Sporting boat Dynasty 12 early reign of Amenemhat I from tomb of Meketre Thebes 1981-1975 BCE

-

Traveling Boat Rowing Dynasty 12 early reign of Amenemhat I from tomb of Meketre Thebes 1981-1975 BCE

-

-

-

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Funeral boat sailing Dynasty 12 early reign of Amenemhat I tomb of Meketre 1981-1975 BCE

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Kitchen Tender Rowing Dynasty 12 early reign of Amenemhat I from tomb of Meketre Thebes 1981-1975 BCE

-

-

-

Notice the differences between all the types of boats..

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Another shot of the Sporting and Traveling boats

-

-

Better tint (you can see more contrast - less amber-brown glare).

Grainery:

-

Slaughterhouse:

-

Stables:

-

Brewery and Bakery:

-

Egyptian Model of a garden Dynasty 11 2009-1998 BCE from Thebes painted and gessoed wood

-

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Beautiful depictions of all the chocolate dark 'cacazoids'! [Wink]
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

^Uh..? .... They got a tad bit tanned it looks like.

Just like Nicholas cage will, I guess, when he plays Anwar Sadat this coming Summer on an Egyptian TV series! lol.

Thutmose IV Peristyle Hall by Horus 2008 by Kairoinfo4u on Flickr:

-

-

Tutankahmun:

-

Djeser-djeseru, Hatshepsut’s temple Luxor, Egypt
2 Portico Hall of Punt
Thutmosis III wearing the Khepresch crown appears in front of Amun offering two jars of myrrh

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

It seems that at sometimes, there wasn't as much yellow paint than at others (they used whites, yellows, reds, greens, blues and blacks to create the colors we see -- or so I've read). I'll post later after confirming in Supercar's AE art Lessons thread.

-

Egypt Qila el-Dab'a old Kingdom necropolis of Ain Asil
قلاع الضبة

-

-

-

Limitations in available paint materials?

-

Hmm..

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Coffin lid of Queen Ahhotep

-

Thutmoses III

-

Shepard Kings

-

Giant COLLOSAL Ramses II ...

-

On more different-texture shot of the boats: the other boats

Kitchen "tender" rowing..

-

Funerary...

-

Traveling boat rowing..

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Other figurines:

Thutmose III

-

Kemet's soldiers:

-

other figurines:

-
 -

Close up on soldiers

-

Close up on a boat rower:

-

This guy looks JUST LIKE a friend of mine, and has that SAME smirck on his face, lol:

-

This is blurrier and further out and smaller than the one of the soldiers I posted a page back (that I always post, for lack of other pictures), but it's from a different angle I think (the other one was from straight ahead) and smaller frame.

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Paneshy Panesy

-

The famous Queen Nerfertiti.

I would post the infamous 'Berlin Bust' of NAZI Germany that Europeans - especially those who are not French - seem to be particularly proud of. But seeing as how it looks completely different from the way it did when they 'found' it, I won't.

Instead, just about every othah pic.

Other depictions of Nefertiti:

-

-

-

-

-

-

Partiers:

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

It's a celebration!

Some in the above scene got cut off - the following scenes are from a book:

-

-

-

Another scene:

-

-

-

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Young girl

-

Blind harpist

-

?

-

Egyptian women working:

-

cow guy / hoer i guess

-

Children w/ their royal parents:

-

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Items in Tut's tomb

-

Other things

-

-

-

-

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thebes Dynasty 11 offering bearer:

-

-

Procession of Bearers

-

Slaughter House, Dynasty 11 (2009-1998 BCE)

-

-

More Egyptian Bearers:

Another Dynasty 11 Offering carier:

-

And I think this one's from Dynasty 11 too:

-

I know this next one is:

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Wow (the sheer number of works is amazing, but it was a 3,000+ year civilization.

-

Domestic scene

-

? some boat:

-

Dynasty 12 Workshop

-

Nother view of bearers:

-

Dynast 6 Overseer of Granery found at Saqqara

-

Brewery and Bakery, 11th Dynasty:

-

11 Dynasty Granary:

-

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Same

-

11th, Slaughter House:

-

-

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Tuthmose I

-

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 13 December 2004).]

quote:
 -

Pepi II Old Kingdom

quote:
 -

Face of Senuret III

quote:
quote:
Which Dynasty, please?

That would be the 18th dyansty during the New Kingdom. At this time Egypt's border extended around to the Fourth cataract in modern Sudan.

-

Khasekhemwy 2nd dyansty

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
19th Dyn, tomb of Rwy royal scribe for Horemheb

-

quote:
Tomb of Kenamon in the time of Amenophis II

-

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 15 December 2004).]

quote:
Senefre & Hatshepsut, time of Amenophis II

-

-

quote:
Nebsen & Nebetta, time of Amenhotep III

-

quote:
Kiya wife of Akhenaten

-

quote:
Depends on whose list your using as prime documentation;
Tjemehu, Nehesu, A3mu, H3w Nebu, and even some Romitu!

But this tomb painting of Tiy and Amenhotpe III's dais has:
Sen-gar
Kush
Naharin
Irem
Keftiu
Iuntiu-seti
Tehenu
Mentu-nu-setet
Shasu.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
OK, you [need] a magnifier to see them but at the
bottom are the 9 Bows traditional enemies of [T3.mry].

Tomb of Anen 2nd prophet of Amen, son of Yuya & Tuya.
 -

I forgot to ask before but, which peoples comprised the 9 bows?

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:
I've also noticed that every pic of a Napatean royal women I've seen depicts her in red, i.e. the same complexion of Kings:
Queen Qalhata, mother of King Tanwetamani :
 -
King Taharqa and his wife Dikahatamani:
 -

I also remember reading from an Assyrian royal text I forgot the name that Taharqa's relatives were referred as being as "black as asphalt". So what I get from the data I've seen so far is that Kushites borrowed Egyptian color symbolism and adapted it to their kingship, the royal women having a equal status to men at the time of the Napata period already (cf. Babacar SALL).

Maybe this, as well as only old fat male individuals in the OK kingdom being painted in yellow would indicate that the red/yellow dichotomy had a value originally associated with manhood/feminity that also evolved into a more abstract activeness/softness symbolism.

quote:
Mystery Solver/Supercar:

-

quote:
Originally posted by Psusennes I:
I hope I am doing this right. There aren't any rules or anything? You just post pictures and sculptures of the Ancient Egyptians I assume:

Funerary stela of Mer-Hathor-Ites. Early Ptolemaic period.

-

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 09 December 2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Psusennes I:
Detail of the Animal on the offering bearer  -

Detail of Basket:
 -

It is fantastic that such simple objects are so fantastic and intricate. One must remember that the most common finds in Egypt are common home and basic burial objects- and some of these are just as amazing as even the greatest treasures of Egypt.

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 10 December 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 10 December 2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker {What Box}:
 -

Kemsit^

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
Continued...again from The Egyptian Museum

-
Neferhernenptah and his family, 6th dynasty

-
Old Kingdom seated scribe.

-
Merenre Bronz statue, Pepi I’s son.

-
Khafre’s son: Menkaure Triad

-
Menkaure Triad2

-
Statue of King Nebhepetre II Mentuhotep

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 09 December 2004).]

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
Let us not forget poineer Narmer:

-
Narmer bust (courtesy of aldokkan.com)

The following are from The Egyptian Museum link, where other interesting stutue photos can be viewed.

-
Narmer Palette

-
The Djoser Statue in the Museum

-
Old Kingdom Statues

-
Several small statues from the Fourth Dynasty.

-
Rameses II, the child in front Horus figure

-
More statues from the old kingdom

continued...

Not!
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Imhotep Mastaba tomb guardian

-

-

Golden Sarcophogus from ?:

-

Cosmetic monkey vessel:

-

Ointment vessels:

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

-

^Why does African food always look so delicious?

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Old Kingdom

-

Another Sarcophagus

-

Eyes of a Queen

-

Sarcophagus

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Sarcophagus:

-

Funerary Mask

-

Sarcophagus

-

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarcophagus of Horkhebit

-

?

-

Ritual statuette of Thutmosis III

-

Sarcophagus of Djehor from Sakkara

-

^This last one's from the Ptolemic period

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Iset-Weret, Ptolemaic Period,

305-30 B.C.
Said to be from Akhmim

-

Ptolemaic period

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

^^Nice Set, here.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

[Smile]

-

-

Not AE but nice!

Whatbox
Member # 10819

This makes absolutely no sense, but:

A joke about a post some misguided Bantu poster made accusing moderation of being pro-Horn African (we had alot of intra african ethnic wars in this forum in the past).

Anyway..

quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
quote:
Originally posted by Obelisk_18:
The good old days [Wink]

-

...Bantu cattle....

^^Nice pic of war captives.

Ps - Matter of fact, here is a Kushite/"Nubian", with his enemies:

-

As did Rameses II:

-

...happens in war, to have captives.

Ancient Egyptian JENA 6, bytch!

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/menesje/sets/72157607148342413/with/2912638328/

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Amazing the lengths of distortion and obfuscation Western scholars in the past went through to say that these people above were somehow not black but 'caucasian'. I wonder what explanations they had for the remaining dark paint that were the peoples' complexions.

quote:
Originally posted by Alive:

Ancient Egyptian JENA 6, bytch!

-

^ The kneeling men in that mural above represent the 'giant' Levantine types subdued from northern Palestine and Syria as was also described in the Bible.
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Amazing the lengths of distortion and obfuscation Western scholars in the past went through to say that these people above were somehow not black but 'caucasian'. I wonder what explanations they had for the remaining dark paint that were the peoples' complexions.

Really deep suntans?
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Sure, they were spray-on tans of the chocolate dark variety. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com