EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad News

Zahi Hawass

The staff of the database department at the Egyptian Museum, Cairo have given me their report on the inventory of objects at the museum following the break in. Sadly, they have discovered objects are missing from the museum. The objects missing are as follows:

1. Gilded wood statue of Tutankhamun being carried by a goddess

2. Gilded wood statue of Tutankhamun harpooning. Only the torso and upper limbs of the king are missing

3. Limestone statue of Akhenaten holding an offering table

4. Statue of Nefertiti making offerings

5. Sandstone head of an Amarna princess

6. Stone statuette of a scribe from Amarna

7. Wooden shabti statuettes from Yuya (11 pieces)

8. Heart Scarab of Yuya

http://www.drhawass.com/blog/sad-news

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
Said on tv that whoever took them knew exactly what they were looking for.
Wonder if they're in a vault in a Swiss bank?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why break things though? I think I read that 30 odd pieces had been damaged. For what?
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Make it look like random vandals?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Definitely looks like someone knew what they were doing. Wouldn't imagine a passerby would think of going in through the roof.

Disgusting though. Like the Egyptians haven't been robbed of enough already.

I heard a pretty impressive story of a police officer, before all this happened, turning down a bribe of, I think it was $5,000,000 (and I've got a feeling it may have been more) to turn a blind eye to a piece being smuggled out of the country. That was just the bribe! Imagine what the piece was worth! I think it was a gold sceptre or something.

Pretty impressive. Just goes to show they aren't all crooked.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me share with you my neutral persepective.

I knew that Mubarak was suffering from a stomach cancer while he was there.

May be He was too proud to step down.
I think The Guy had enough.
and I think his family were the real enemies who destroyed him and allowed him to end this way.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

How are you feeling about all this now Tareq?

Interested to hear your perspective as an Egyptian actually living here.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:

and I think his family were the real enemies who destroyed him and allowed him to end this way.

I read something about that yesterday...

Mubarak's top aides and family — including his son Gamal, widely viewed as his intended successor — told him he could still ride out the turmoil.

"He did not look beyond what Gamal was telling him, so he was isolated politically," said the official. "Every incremental move (by Mubarak) was too little too late."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110212/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_mubarak_s_final_hours_1

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:

Stomach cancer can kill within a few months or a few weeks.

Let alone it cripples its victim massively, for an 82 year old he doesn't look like he has stomach cancer. I've seen people in their late 50s with stomach cancer and they look alot worse.

I have a feeling it was prostate cancer which spreads quite quickly to non-vital organs and takes vital organs after some time. No Egyptian man would admit to having cancerous gonads.

But he doesn't appear to have stomach cancer, only pancreotic cancer is worse.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a message on my internet dongle thingy from "ArmedForces" stating what was stated earlier here and in the news, about the parliament and constitution stuff.

I find it interesting the way that the phone/internet companies are used to get messages out to people. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in the States.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True that he doestn look like a 82 old man,but im sure he has had plenty of plastic surgeries performed at least on his face.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Mr. Mubarak is very much respected and welcomed in Germany if indeed he comes and perhaps he's already there.

Even before he stepped down as Egyptian president negotiations were made to offer him 'medical exile' in Germany.

I can't confirm the news at this point if they are indeed true - that he apparently fell into a coma - (IMHO rumors could have been spread just to justify Mubarak's exit from Egypt) but they make me sad. Also if he would pass away now what an irony.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Was very moved when i saw on TV news Egyptians themselves taking care in cleaning Tahrir Sq,including scrubbing the stone panels under some statue off grafitti. [Smile]

Guess why they did it - because the whole world was watching. Unfortunately CNN and BBC World did not step into living quarters in Cairo and showed the many still existing piles of rubbish.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I thought it was pretty sweet - taking pride in a country they finally felt a true sense of ownership of.

Robert Fisk: Cairo's 50,000 street children were abused by this regime

Cairo's street kids were duped into resisting the revolution, then shot by police in the chaos that ensued

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-cairos-50000-street-children-were-abused-by-this-regime-2213295.html

Pretty sickening reading.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

People clean and clear out Tahrir Square in Cairo February 12, 2011.

Some more great pictures of people cleaning:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-64590.html

This whole cleaning issue is very touching. (And, as someone else said, quite significant [Wink] )

I was very impressed with how clean the square was even while there were thousands of people camping and protesting on there. They had organized the garbage collection very well, and everyone took care to not just throw their stuff on the ground.

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-64590-14.html

Auch dieser blinde Bettler traut sich nach 18 Tagen wieder auf die Straße. Viele Menschen haben in den vergangenen Wochen kein Geld eingenommen und sind froh, dass die Proteste jetzt ein Ende haben.

Also this blind beggar dares again after 18 days on the road. Many people have taken in recent weeks, no money and are glad that the protests are now over.

He's not blind and he's not a beggar. I don't know who and why they'd make this assumption.

The sachel is common amoung older bureaucratic workers and bureaucratic retirees. My FIL has one, along with many of his fellow Ministry of Education colleagues, teachers often have this sachel and it was once part of their official wardrobe. I've heard all sorts of wild talk at the "club for teachers" which most towns have one, like an officers club. Official wardrobe for each ministry dictated western clothing, including a sachel. That cane is common among older men who have been to KSA, its a sign of a Hajji.

When these dudes retire they often give up western attire completely, free to not wear boxer shorts as undergarments which were required. His shoes also are not part of the dictated wardrobe, another freedom of retirement.

He's probably has a small business which many bureacrat retirees have, there was a loan program as part of their pension, divert part of your pension towards the setup costs of a business. They did this as part of a compromise to cut back on pension payments, and encourage old timers with more than 20 years in to set up businesses and get off government payroll.

A few hundred gov. retires in Shebin alone have businesses in Cairo, mostly Attaba. Though some were fortunate to secure store fronts in Downtown as well.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
quote:
Was very moved when i saw on TV news Egyptians themselves taking care in cleaning Tahrir Sq,including scrubbing the stone panels under some statue off grafitti. [Smile]

Guess why they did it - because the whole world was watching. Unfortunately CNN and BBC World did not step into living quarters in Cairo and showed the many still existing piles of rubbish.
If you are asserting this condemnation I'd prefer you post recent photos hyperlinks as proof.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Here's some great proof like the littering problem, sexual harrassment was a symptom of the regime:

(Cairo, January 30, 2011) - **** *******, Egypt researcher:
Several thousand people remain in Tahrir Square, many say they're planning to spend the night and stay till Mubarak resigns. There was a huge cheer when we heard Mohamed ElBaradei was coming but unfortunately most of us couldn't hear what he said - no loudspeakers, apparently. A crowd of about 800 and lots of journalists crowded around to hear him speak but everyone else just carried on chanting, "Mubarak you must leave."
People were also very angry to hear that the Interior Ministry is ordering police back on to the streets - though the Army still has control in Tahrir Square. Yesterday they were calling for the minister's resignation, so they're very upset about that. It's been much more organized today, people going around with loudhailers urging people not to leave.

The square has emptied out since the afternoon but it's still a great atmosphere, a sense of solidarity, and very well-behaved – people are sitting around bonfires, or walking around picking up rubbish. Crowds who find occasional looters drag them over to the soldiers and hand them over. And no sexual harassment – which is not the norm downtown, especially when there are big groups gathering! We're happy to be eating koshary – thank goodness vendors are still selling street food because we're starving.

http://www.hrw.org/egypt-live-updates

Keep in mind the protesters were mixed, ethnically, class-wise, gender and faith. Therefore its truly an amazing turn in behavior/attitudes.

With more changes on the way, hopefully there will be less for foreign women to complain about.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting it all to rights sono, I knew you would know more about everything than us here and wow amazing you can see everything about the blind man just from one pic!! Is he your FIL?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

He's not blind and he's not a beggar. I don't know who and why they'd make this assumption.

The sachel is common amoung older bureaucratic workers and bureaucratic retirees. My FIL has one, along with many of his fellow Ministry of Education colleagues, teachers often have this sachel and it was once part of their official wardrobe. I've heard all sorts of wild talk at the "club for teachers" which most towns have one, like an officers club. Official wardrobe for each ministry dictated western clothing, including a sachel. That cane is common among older men who have been to KSA, its a sign of a Hajji.

When these dudes retire they often give up western attire completely, free to not wear boxer shorts as undergarments which were required. His shoes also are not part of the dictated wardrobe, another freedom of retirement.

He's probably has a small business which many bureacrat retirees have, there was a loan program as part of their pension, divert part of your pension towards the setup costs of a business. They did this as part of a compromise to cut back on pension payments, and encourage old timers with more than 20 years in to set up businesses and get off government payroll.

A few hundred gov. retires in Shebin alone have businesses in Cairo, mostly Attaba. Though some were fortunate to secure store fronts in Downtown as well.

If you are asserting this condemnation I'd prefer you post recent photos hyperlinks as proof.

Also I'm sure after they have done all the big wigs they will get round to those retired govt. workers like your FIL and dig into his assets and how he managed to obtain his wealth on a govt job which the rest of the world knows is paid a pittance apart from the obvious corrupt nearer the top. They better start getting their businesses and shop fronts out to Swiss bank accounts quick [Wink]

Not the right time now to be shouting what your high up ex FIL has amassed out of obvious corruption sono, he will be investigated and I will now start saving everything you have written about him so they will have something to start with.

Oh and the satchel is a shopping bag, yes lots of people have them for shopping with. [Wink]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

They did it because they made the mess and Egyptians usually clean up their own mess. The piles of rubbish around living quarters is because this country has been 'so poor' as the regime stole from the country it couldn't even set up proper rubbish disposal. It needs much more than a man going around with a brush and cart to sort the rubbish problem here in this country. Their clean up of the square was nothing to do with the world watching and everything to do with an Egyptian's pride in his country.

In the last few weeks, prior to revolution, there is a building going up across from me. That corner was where our skip was which was emptied daily. Now they took the skip away and we have nowhere to put our rubbish in these streets that used that skip, so it's piled up on another corner in the hope that eventually a man with a cart will come and clean it up or the truck that used to empty the skip will come and do it in one go. There were notices in Arabic posted around telling us not to put rubbish there but gave no indication where it was to go or how it would be collected. cats are having a great time though [Big Grin]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

They did it because they made the mess and Egyptians usually clean up their own mess. The piles of rubbish around living quarters is because this country has been 'so poor' as the regime stole from the country it couldn't even set up proper rubbish disposal. It needs much more than a man going around with a brush and cart to sort the rubbish problem here in this country. Their clean up of the square was nothing to do with the world watching and everything to do with an Egyptian's pride in his country.

Exactly.

There were many private initiatives cleaning the streets and collecting garbage over the past couple of week in areas far away from Tahrir.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone watching how the Army is moving out the people left in Tahrir? I'm not saying they nshould remain in the street... but the right to assemble is an intergal part of a democracy. Forcing people to leave, dragging them out, and arresting them if they dont go... THIS is NOT what should be happening.
Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting it all to rights sono, I knew you would know more about everything than us here and wow amazing you can see everything about the blind man just from one pic!! Is he your FIL?

That was a weird post from sono. wasn't it? When exactly did she visit Egypt? Around 1935?
Civil servants change their underwear [with some relief] upon retirement?
Are we certain she's talking about Egypt, 'cos it doesn't seem like anywhere in the real world.
And the guy probably was blind, hence the stick! And most assuredly he must has asked the film
crew for money, or why would they say he was begging? And eerrrr So what?
BTW, why does Cairo still not have decent garbage disposal yet? Here in Alex we've had Veolia for about 8 years, wheelies and roadsweepers, and pretty efficient well paid workforce. Is it decided by central government or the governate?
Please don't answer this Sono, you told me about 5years ago that garbage here was burned in the streets.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Mo Ning, now you know full well sono is the expert on Egypt so don't question it, just take it in. Stick is part of hajj and there are no blind people in Egypt, they banned them along with the deaf people [Big Grin]

Cairo do have better rubbish disposal than we do here, here in Luxor our governor is much more concerned with making people homeless, painting the curb of any main streets some big wig will drive through and doing away with those silly trees everywhere. [Roll Eyes]

wonder what will happen to him, hope they burn him at the stake, bloody waste of space! I will volunteer the matches.

--------------------

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our govenor banned smoking in all restaurants, and then banned SHISHAS in coffee shops [even outside!] on pain of LE10000 fine and closure for 3 months. All this just before the revolution, so maybe people feel safe ignoring it. He had previously hounded out most of the traders in the street markets although many of them said they had licences.
Power mad.
All the good stuff, like new pavements, street lights, tree planting and garbage/sewage upgrades was instigated by the previous gov [who was disliked 'at the top', but adored by the people of Alex.

Oh God, i've got this vision of retiring civil servants being presented with their little haaj sticks, shopping bag, and sexy jockey shorts, at their retirement parties.[Then they all hop back into their gallabeyas and go blind.]

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And Mr. Mubarak is very much respected and welcomed in Germany

Is he?
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And Mr. Mubarak is very much respected and welcomed in Germany"... a few posters from the demonstration come to mind... guess the likeness wasn't so far off...
Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I would never dare to speak in the name of all Germans, I think it goes without saying that this would be silly.

Personally, I don't know any German who supports Mubarak. I read some newspaper articles speaking about the possibility of him going to Germany, and the comments underneath the articles were 90% disapproving. Those who support Mubarak are in most cases Islamophobes and/or people afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood obtaining too much power.

For example:

Gesucht: Exil für Ägyptens Präsidenten –– "Mubarak ist in Deutschland willkommen"

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Apparently there was an assassination attempt on Ayman Nour in Luxor.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
where did you hear that Monkey?

--------------------

longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tigerlily,

You write with touching feeling about rumours of the former dictator's ill health, of your suspicions of the motives of the volunteer cleaners, and of your belief that Germany would welcome Mubarak in his exile.

You views seem to me quite extraordinary. Why mourn a brutal dictator, rather then his victims? Why the cynicism and sour grapes towards the new sense of unity felt by the liberated people? And why such warm attachment to a foreign leader?

I admire, however, your consistency. Hypocritical western leaders did what they always do. They supported their client right up until he fell, then they acted as if they had supported the uprising all along. You, on the other hand, just keep right on supporting your man.

I wonder now whether you wish for a return to the old order in Egypt, with its torture, arbitrary arrest and emergency law? If so, do you believe it would be a good thing for your own country of origin as well, which I believe is Germany, or is it just good for Egyptians?

Just wondering.

Best Wishes,
LUN

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

I would turn into Shanta Gdida for a bit except then I won't be able to turn back to Qdeama or Qdeema (I used that one up).

Hey Shanta Gdeeda, thanks for the change, more in tune with the times.
Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
where did you hear that Monkey?

Ahem... Well... It may have been on Twitter BUT... It was on Euronews' tweets so I assumed it would be fairly reliable... and it was breaking news on their website... now it's disappeared.

All I found was this:

http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Reports-Ayman-Nour-survives-assassination-attempt-in-Luxor-Egypt

Doesn't seem overly reliable. Must stop listening to Twitter reports [Roll Eyes]

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Excellent article:

Why Egypt Will Not Be Another Iran

The overwhelming role played by religious forces in Iran contrasts with the ongoing demonstrations, strikes, and other actions in Egypt, which has been led from the outset by secular youth through the Internet and other means of communication. The slogans, communiqués, banners, graffiti, tweets, and Facebook messages have been almost exclusively secular in orientation, pushing nationalistic and liberal democratic themes. And, despite decades of U.S. support for the Mubarak dictatorship, the Egyptian protests have featured virtually no explicit anti-Americanism, a striking contrast with the Iranian revolution. Indeed, the current protests have almost exclusively focused on Mubarak’s misrule rather than the U.S. role in enabling it.

The Muslim Brotherhood

U.S. apologists for the Egyptian dictatorship point to the fact that the largest single opposition group – and arguably best organized – is the Muslim Brotherhood, a movement which has played a role in Egyptian politics since the 1920s. Being the single largest opposition group, however, does not mean that the Muslim Brotherhood has majority support – far from it. Most estimates put their popular support at 20-15 percent, with the upper estimate at 30 percent or slightly higher. Its active adherents probably number no more than 100,000 out of a population of over 82 million. There are also serious divisions between the more progressive and more conservative elements within the movement, and it would likely split into two or more political parties once legalized. Indeed, according to the Egyptian newspaper El-Masry El-Youm, both the women’s and youth wing appear to have already split from the Muslim Brotherhood last week and joined the April 6 Movement.

Read full article here

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/02/11-0

I totally agree with this analysis, judging from your quotes (haven't read the actual article). I would also add a main difference between Egypt and Iran and that is the sect.
As people know, Iran is Shia while Egypt is Sunni. As far as I know, the Shia sect has a religious hierarchy, and the religious leaders have a strong influence on the people (I'm not necessarily saying that this is something bad or good, it's just an observation, possibly even a fact). So in Shia islam there's a sort of clergy that doesn't exist in Sunni islam. In the latter you don't have a ruling religious group or figure, like Ayatoullah Khamenei in present day Iran. Even in Saudi Arabia, which has the most religiously based regime, the king and members of government are not members of a clergy in any way. Yes they are supported by religous figures, like the mufti, but they themselves are not religous figures.
In fact, and again to the best of my knowledge, Sunni Islam does not have a clergy, not in the Catholic sense at least. Yes you have scholars who study and interpret Islam but they are not infallible, and they acknowledge and even point to that. Usually fatwas end with something to the effect of "and god knows best", implying that this is our interpretation but we might be mistaken.

As for the Muslim Brotherhood, again I totally agree with the analysis. I'd say that their support might even weaken if they become a party. Some people sympathise with them mainly because they're discriminated against and criminalised, i.e. for being the underdogs. I'm personally neither for them nor against them, but at some point sympethised with them for being prosecuted. I view them as just another political player in the field that's entitled to voice it's views. However, among all the political players, they are the best organised and the most popular. I don't believe any other political party (from the formally existing ones, a new one may break this rule) can muster the 20% mentioned above.
Anyway, let's hope for the best for Egypt

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by longusername:

Hypocritical western leaders did what they always do. They supported their client right up until he fell, then they acted as if they had supported the uprising all along.

Yes, always made me wonder why the next dictator to be doesn't learn from his predecssors and not sell his soul to the devil. Saddam has seen the Shah, Ben Ali has seen Saddam, Mubarak has seen Ben Ali! Yet they all keep repeating the same mistake.
Is it human nature, always wanting to gamble, to go for maximum gain while not paying attention to the risks?

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

If so, do you believe it would be a good thing for your own country of origin as well, which I believe is Germany, or is it just good for Egyptians?

Tiger is from East Germany, which used to be a country ruled by a dictatorship that persecuted, punished, and often killed those who disagreed with the government. Thus, your question is a very valid one. However, it's been asked various times by various people and never been answered …
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by hmozachsown:
Anyone watching how the Army is moving out the people left in Tahrir? I'm not saying they nshould remain in the street... but the right to assemble is an intergal part of a democracy. Forcing people to leave, dragging them out, and arresting them if they dont go... THIS is NOT what should be happening.

I've seen on the BBC yesterday morning what appeared to be scuffles between army personnel and protestors. This really worried me and broke my heart. I genuinely hope it doesn't descend into violence, not after chieving all this peacefully.
I think that the protestors should go back home now. Maybe do as somebody suggested, a rally every Friday. But to keep occupying the square I believe is wrong. I hope they're not losing touch with the rest of the population, because I believe many (if not most) people want some sort of normality back.
I don't think it's in the army's interest to retain power more than is necessary. The political climate in the country does not allow it. We should start thinking now of who comes next.
Do the youth movements have representatives? Several times on the BBC and AJ they talk to somebody who's presented as a youth leader. But nobody knows how representative those leaders are of the youth movement, and indeed of the whole population.
You can bet that the powers that be (e.g. US et al) have already started opening channels of communication with them. I just hope they don't get corrupted like what they're replacing.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
[QB]
Do the youth movements have representatives? Several times on the BBC and AJ they talk to somebody who's presented as a youth leader. But nobody knows how representative those leaders are of the youth movement, and indeed of the whole population.
You can bet that the powers that be (e.g. US et al) have already started opening channels of communication with them. I just hope they don't get corrupted like what they're replacing.

A new political party.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/25janhezb

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
A new political party.

Thanks Ayisha. Unfortunately I don't do "Fakebook", is there a website for that party. I couldn't find anything on google.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

That was a weird post from sono. wasn't it? When exactly did she visit Egypt? Around 1935?
Are we certain she's talking about Egypt, 'cos it doesn't seem like anywhere in the real world.
And the guy probably was blind, hence the stick! And most assuredly he must has asked the film
BTW, why does Cairo still not have decent garbage disposal yet? Here in Alex we've had Veolia for about 8 years, wheelies and roadsweepers, and pretty efficient well paid workforce. Is it decided by central government or the governate?
Please don't answer this Sono, you told me about 5years ago that garbage here was burned in the streets.

over all this time you've protested that your former love interest was legally married to you despite your insistence that Orfi is a great advantage for foreign women...

You've never once eeked out any information on your love interest's profession, or that of his family.

Actually no empirical or personal information whatsoever.

By the way I stopped reading your posts quite some time ago, like I don't read Ayisha's either. Nothing useful, just provocations, insults and mindless chatter.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear ES is better than any soap opera [Razz]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

When these dudes retire they often give up western attire completely, free to not wear boxer shorts as undergarments which were required.

Metinoot, most guys who wear gallabeyas wear boxer shorts underneath.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:
A new political party.

Thanks Ayisha. Unfortunately I don't do "Fakebook", is there a website for that party. I couldn't find anything on google.
Not that I can find but there is an email address and a Skype address

25januaryparty@gmail.com
Skype ID: january.party

It's new, only saw it today and it's all in Arabic too so had the google translator in action. [Big Grin]

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

When these dudes retire they often give up western attire completely, free to not wear boxer shorts as undergarments which were required.

Hmmm, I'm tempted to ask how do you know that "most" of them do that, but I won't [Big Grin]

Cheer up girls (or boys or trannies or whatever you lot are!)

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

over all this time you've protested that your former love interest was legally married to you despite your insistence that Orfi is a great advantage for foreign women...

You've never once eeked out any information on your love interest's profession, or that of his family.

Actually no empirical or personal information whatsoever.

By the way I stopped reading your posts quite some time ago, like I don't read Ayisha's either. Nothing useful, just provocations, insults and mindless chatter.

I don't mind being the chatter but you certainly are the mindless part of our little duet. Not reading me but manage to post provoking answers to my posts has to be an action of one with little mind.

Mo Ning!! Spill about this 'former love interest' in your brand new fantasy life, make up anything you want quick before she does!

[Wink]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

I admire, however, your consistency. Hypocritical western leaders did what they always do. They supported their client right up until he fell, then they acted as if they had supported the uprising all along. You, on the other hand, just keep right on supporting your man.

Netanyahu hasn't had a call returned from Obama in six months. Netanyahu cannot get Obama on the phone nor can he get Tantawi on the phone.

Netanyahu had 5 minutes in which Tantawi told him off that by speaking with him he looks bad in the eyes of Egyptians.

Only now does Tantawi curb his enthusiasm for contact with Israel.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] OMG my hubby doesn't wear boxers, OMG that must mean he is ex govt too [Eek!] [Eek!]

To answer the query about Dalia knowing these kind of things, she has little mirrors on the tops of her shoes. [Wink]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

How do you know? X-ray eyes or gone around and lifted up those gallabeyas.

Personally I have made a number of visits to Egypt without my ex to accompany me, and one of the tasks was to bring back 100% Egyptian cotton underwear. For men.

Have you ever bought underwear for men in Egypt? [Big Grin] Is it a personal past time to go around and look up the hems of men in Egypt? [Big Grin]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] OMG my hubby doesn't wear boxers, OMG that must mean he is ex govt too [Eek!] [Eek!]

To answer the query about Dalia knowing these kind of things, she has little mirrors on the tops of her shoes. [Wink]

Can't imagine he'd let you go near him when his pants are down.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Netanyahu hasn't had a call returned from Obama in six months. Netanyahu cannot get Obama on the phone nor can he get Tantawi on the phone.

Netanyahu had 5 minutes in which Tantawi told him off that by speaking with him he looks bad in the eyes of Egyptians.

Only now does Tantawi curb his enthusiasm for contact with Israel.

Sono has inside info on all govt officials even down to their undies and private calls. So glad to see you sono, where would we be without you and your corrupt govt ex in laws inside info and your extensive knowledge about Egypt and surrounding countries. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com