EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
After all it wasn't him alone to rule this country.

He was the man at the top....he was in charge.....THE BUCK STOPS AT HIS DOOR.......He knew what was going on in his country.......He should now be held responsible for the corruption, torture,and poverty that went on under his watch
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
And another ruddy thing... This business with St Suzanne... You know, it's very commendable that she got FGM banned, but how come it took her nigh on two decades to realise she gave a rat's a$$?

*Like*
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:
After all it wasn't him alone to rule this country.

He was the man at the top....he was in charge.....THE BUCK STOPS AT HIS DOOR.......He knew what was going on in his country.......He should now be held responsible for the corruption, torture,and poverty that went on under his watch
To sum it up,he should be trialed for crimes against humanity.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
I'm fed up with Tigerlilly's overly agressive posts..

For what it's worth, I don't think Tigerlily was being aggressive. Her posts are some of the most observant and well-informed, and it's interesting to see contrary opinions expressed. She may be a tad defensive when she's so outnumbered, but that's understandable. She's still entitled to state her case and though I may disagree with her I still appreciate her posts.

Best Wishes,
LUN

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Some really bizarre posts on this thread! Sounds like they could have been written by a Pro Mubarak Supporter who now sees their entire entire financial future ruined now that corruption is being reined in. Justify corruption and illegal detention and torturing and murdering people any way you can. Sickening really.

Thanks Laura....my feelings exactly
yep, mine too.

Amen, count me in girls!
Looks like it's time for me to hybernate again.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently France and Germany have also been asked to freeze ex minister's assets. Not Mubarak's though, by the sound of it.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/minya-changes-name-suzanne-mubarak-square

Minya changes name of Suzanne Mubarak Sq to 25th January Sq

So is this officially the 25th January revolution?

Just wondering what new bridges and towns round here might get called!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mubarak's picture being taken out of parliament and being replaced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3k2ly64mo

(taken from my facebook feed)

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by longusername:
quote:
I'm fed up with Tigerlilly's overly agressive posts..

For what it's worth, I don't think Tigerlily was being aggressive. Her posts are some of the most observant and well-informed, and it's interesting to see contrary opinions expressed. She may be a tad defensive when she's so outnumbered, but that's understandable. She's still entitled to state her case and though I may disagree with her I still appreciate her posts.

Best Wishes,
LUN

She's informed via western media, with little info from the arab world.

There is tons of holes in her "reporting" and its repeatative at best.

Here's what I gathered about Lara Logan:

Lara Logan Detained By Egyptian Police
Lara Logan

CBS News chief foreign affairs correspondent Lara Logan has been detained, along with her crew, by Egyptian police, TIME reported Thursday afternoon.

Logan, who has been in Egypt since Monday, had been reporting from Alexandria but was detained outside the Israeli embassy in Cairo, according to TIME.

Wednesday, Logan filed a foreboding report about the Mubarak government "throttling" foreign press.

"The army just shifted dramatically to a much more aggressive posture," she said Wednesday, one day before her detention. "And they have absolutely prevented us from filming anywhere today...And in fact when our crew went out to film beauty shots early this morning, with no idea that the situation was now different, they were confronted by soldiers and plainclothes agents. They were armed, they were intimidated and bullied and in fact marched at gunpoint through the streets all the way back to our hotel."

Logan described it as "a very frightening experience and one that was repeated throughout the day for us."

"Everywhere we went we were approached by people," she said. "We were accused of being more than journalists, very frightening suggestions were being made. Suggestions that really could be very dangerous for us."

Logan said they were being "watched everywhere that we go" and "definitely being prevented from telling the story."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/03/l...t_n_818278.html

Well it explains the Egyptian Plainclothes cops had been following Lara and her crew the entire week, then finally shut down her journalism activities by sexual assault.

More reason to shut down the police completely and start over.

What a bunch of mofos.

Lara Logan is a South African, not an American. She's an international journalist who works as a freelancer and her entire crew is probably freelancers.

Not exactly much of an American crew, she was assualted for being a foreigner, and a hot one.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And another ruddy thing... This business with St Suzanne... You know, it's very commendable that she got FGM banned, but how come it took her nigh on two decades to realise she gave a rat's a$$?

I am not starting an argument with you, don't take this as an opportunity to start a hobbit gang fight.

But... its been illegal in a few forms with several laws on the books since Nassar's time.

Problem is the authorities didn't want to enforce it until lately. Mainly because if they didn't it could harm US military aid. Secondly because it could harm Egypt's image for tourism.

Mostly doctors didn't want to do it anymore, and the generation who is now raising teenagers are far more cosmopolitan than the teenagers themselves.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ metinoot, there's an old wise saying that goes:
'Don't judge a book by its endnotes" - that's what you copied and pasted from Fisk's book not the bibliography.
Go and read the actual book, all 1364 pages of it, and form an opinion of your own.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
@ metinoot, there's an old wise saying that goes:
'Don't judge a book by its endnotes" - that's what you copied and pasted from Fisk's book not the bibliography.
Go and read the actual book, all 1364 pages of it, and form an opinion of your own.

Yeah because his books don't cite his comments usually. Because his books amount to nothing more than "travelogues".

I have the book, I copy and pasted the "end notes" which were cited in MLA form, typically known as a bibliography.

Its Robert Fisk, the only nation that will give him awards is UK. No one else takes him seriously because he gets most of his "personal accounts" very wrong. Its British Empire tunnel vision, which appleases old hobbits who still need to feel entitled to look down upon the world's savages.

I haven't read the entire book but when he starts the first chapter out in this manner:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Great-War-for-Civilisation/Robert-Fisk/e/9781400075171/?itm=5&USRI=fisk%2c+robert#EXC

"One of Our Brothers Had a Dream . . . "

"They combine a mad love of country with an equally mad indifference to life, their own as well as others. They are cunning, unscrupulous, and inspired."--"Stephen Fisher" in Alfred Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent (1940)

he f*cking quotes hitchcock as his opening to the first chapter of his book. I love hitchcock, but movie script has no place in a book on the Middle East.

A benevolent white dust covered the windscreen, and when the wipers cleared it the desolation took on a hard, unforgiving, dun-coloured uniformity. The track must have looked like this, I thought to myself, when Major-General William Elphinstone led his British army to disaster more than 150 years ago. The Afghans had annihilated one of the greatest armies of the British empire on this very stretch of road, and high above me were villages where old men still remembered the stories of great-grandfathers who had seen the English die in their thousands. The stones of Gandamak, they claim, were made black by the blood of the English dead. The year 1842 marked one of the greatest defeats of British arms. No wonder we preferred to forget the First Afghan War. But Afghans don't forget. "Farangiano," the driver shouted and pointed down into the gorge and grinned at me. "Foreigners." "Angrezi." "English." "Jang." "War." Yes, I got the point. "Irlanda," I replied in Arabic. "Ana min Irlanda." I am from Ireland. Even if he understood me, it was a lie. Educated in Ireland I was, but in my pocket was a small black British passport in which His Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs required in the name of Her Majesty that I should be allowed "to pass freely without let or hindrance" on this perilous journey. A teenage Taliban had looked at my passport at Jalalabad airport two days earlier, a boy soldier of maybe fourteen who held the document upside down, stared at it and clucked his tongue and shook his head in disapproval.

It had grown dark and we were climbing, overtaking trucks and rows of camels, the beasts turning their heads towards our lights in the gloom. We careered past them and I could see the condensation of their breath floating over the road. Their huge feet were picking out the rocks with infinite care and their eyes, when they caught the light, looked like dolls' eyes. Two hours later, we stopped on a stony hillside and, after a few minutes, a pick-up truck came bouncing down the rough shale of the mountain.

An Arab in Afghan clothes came towards the car. I recognised him at once from our last meeting in a ruined village. "I am sorry, Mr. Robert, but I must give you the first search," he said, prowling through my camera bag and newspapers. And so we set off up the track that Osama bin Laden built during his jihad against the Russian army in the early 1980s, a terrifying, slithering, two-hour odyssey along fearful ravines in rain and sleet, the windscreen misting as we climbed the cold mountain. "When you believe in jihad, it is easy," he said, fighting with the steering wheel as stones scuttered from the tyres, tumbling down the precipice into the clouds below. From time to time, lights winked at us from far away in the darkness. "Our brothers are letting us know they see us," he said.

After an hour, two armed Arabs--one with his face covered in a kuffiah scarf, eyes peering at us through spectacles, holding an anti-tank rocket-launcher over his right shoulder--came screaming from behind two rocks. "Stop! Stop!" As the brakes were jammed on, I almost hit my head on the windscreen. "Sorry, sorry," the bespectacled man said, putting down his rocket-launcher. He pulled a metal detector from the pocket of his combat jacket, the red light flicking over my body in another search. The road grew worse as we continued, the jeep skidding backwards towards sheer cliffs, the headlights playing across the chasms on either side. "Toyota is good for jihad," my driver said. I could only agree, noting that this was one advertising logo the Toyota company would probably forgo.

There was moonlight now and I could see clouds both below us in the ravines and above us, curling round mountaintops, our headlights shining on frozen waterfalls and ice-covered pools. Osama bin Laden knew how to build his wartime roads; many an ammunition truck and tank had ground its way up here during the titanic struggle against the Russian army. Now the man who led those guerrillas--the first Arab fighter in the battle against Moscow--was back again in the mountains he knew. There were more Arab checkpoints, more shrieked orders to halt. One very tall man in combat uniform and wearing shades carefully patted my shoulders, body, legs and looked into my face. Salaam aleikum, I said. Peace be upon you. Every Arab I had ever met replied Aleikum salaam to this greeting. But not this one. There was something cold about this man. Osama bin Laden had invited me to meet him in Afghanistan, but this was a warrior without the minimum courtesy. He was a machine, checking out another machine.

It had not always been this way. Indeed, the first time I met Osama bin Laden, the way could not have been easier. Back in December 1993, I had been covering an Islamic summit in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum when a Saudi journalist friend of mine, Jamal Kashoggi, walked up to me in the lobby of my hotel. Kashoggi, a tall, slightly portly man in a long white dishdash robe, led me by the shoulder outside the hotel. "There is someone I think you should meet," he said. Kashoggi is a sincere believer--woe betide anyone who regards his round spectacles and roguish sense of humour as a sign of spiritual laxity--and I guessed at once to whom he was referring. Kashoggi had visited bin Laden in Afghanistan during his war against the Russian army. "He has never met a Western reporter before," he announced. "This will be interesting." Kashoggi was indulging in a little applied psychology. He wanted to know how bin Laden would respond to an infidel. So did I.

If he was actually fluent in Arabi he'd have a better account of these situations. He translates only simple phrases. He does not note a guide nor a translator on these episodes, because I don't know if they really have happened. Its just not credible stuff.

Plus with all these first person accounts which sound like all the other first person accounts of supposive "Arabist experts fluent in Arabic" none of these "experts" have a wingman to second their narrative.

Seriously when was the last time you read a book on the region written by an actual Arab who hadn't turned zionist?

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, metinoot, you make very little sense. The book has an excellent bibliography as well as copious endnotes and a long index.

I admire Fisk the hobbit and I'm not going to fight with you, so store up your fighting energy for someone else.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Honestly, metinoot, you make very little sense. The book has an excellent bibliography as well as copious endnotes and a long index.

I admire Fisk the hobbit and I'm not going to fight with you, so store up your fighting energy for someone else.

Actually what I copy and pasted the "bibliography"
in this post:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020222;p=4#000182

I make plenty of sense, Robert Fisk is known for his tunnel vision, his personal accounts that cannot be verified, his absolute limited understanding of Arabic, and his dire need to crank out books that feed the zionist imagery of the Middle East.

Go ahead pay for his books, I downloaded them via torrent. WHy pay for crap?

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
LOL...
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
LOL...

What could I expect from a lass who spent her career working for USAid and considers it "food stamps" for Egyptians yet doesn't apply the same insult to Israelis who also use USAid "food stamps".

It was odd but predictable when the two of you did a 180 degree turn on the revolution, but didn't correct your "food stamps" designation error.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
ROFL...
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm It looks like there is a little Cat and Mouse game going on at the moment in the Suez Canal area with Israeli and Iranian Warships.. [Confused]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

I am not starting an argument with you, don't take this as an opportunity to start a hobbit gang fight.

But... its been illegal in a few forms with several laws on the books since Nassar's time.

Problem is the authorities didn't want to enforce it until lately. Mainly because if they didn't it could harm US military aid. Secondly because it could harm Egypt's image for tourism.

Mostly doctors didn't want to do it anymore, and the generation who is now raising teenagers are far more cosmopolitan than the teenagers themselves.

Exactly. I'm not arguing with you either. I was referring to a previous post where the ending of FGM seemed to be singularly attributed to the good work of Mrs M. Call me cynical, but I think the reasons you've cited had more to do with it, particularly international condemnation and the possible halting of US aid.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LOL...

My favourie part was 'I make plenty of sense'. [Smile]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Just in from The Armed Forces on my vodafone (first one from them on there, others have been on my Etisalat)

المجلس الأعلي للقوات المسلحة: نهيب بالمواطنين تهيئة المناخ المناسب لإدارة شئون البلاد تمهيدا لتسليمها إلي السلطة المدنية المنتخبة من الشعب

Which google translate says means:

Supreme Council of the armed forces: We call on citizens to create the right climate to manage the affairs of the country in preparation for handing over power to elected civilian people

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
quote:
LOL...

My favourite part is "the two of you did a 180 degree turn..."
does that make a 360 degree turn for the both of me?

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
Just in from The Armed Forces on my vodafone (first one from them on there, others have been on my Etisalat)

المجلس الأعلي للقوات المسلحة: نهيب بالمواطنين تهيئة المناخ المناسب لإدارة شئون البلاد تمهيدا لتسليمها إلي السلطة المدنية المنتخبة من الشعب

Which google translate says means:

Supreme Council of the armed forces: We call on citizens to create the right climate to manage the affairs of the country in preparation for handing over power to elected civilian people

Do they get free evening and weekend texts or something? [Confused]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sono, stop spamming with crap. You haven't read the damn book and citizen has read the book, logic assumes the one that has read the book knows more about it and it's writer than the one spouting crap about it that hasn't read it.

signed mamma hobbit.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
quote:
LOL...

My favourite part is "the two of you did a 180 degree turn..."
does that make a 360 degree turn for the both of me?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020188;p=1#000048

You know precisely what I am referring to.

USAid has few American employees, and most are zionists like yourself.

Which explains the zionist literature selection.

Next you are going to suggest Benard Lewis as required reading on the Middle East.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

USAid has few American employees, and most are zionists like yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by metinoot aka sonomod:
I would like to work with the US Aid agency in Alex,

http://web.archive.org/web/20040526012805/www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/003065.html

[Roll Eyes]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Sono's ambition to be a zionist failed, she confused them too much with the tangents so now she's having a tantrum. [Wink]

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/thirteen-new-political-parties-expected-rise-ashes-revolution

13 new political parties to be formed [Smile]

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Ooh, they need another one. Thirteen gives me the eebie jeebies...
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question. My pretend hubby has told me that he has given his name and address(couldnt understand who to!) and expects for the authorities to give him money soon like our dole....and that he had a letter about his loan which has been suspended for at least 3 months which is good news as not many tourists in Luxor and wondered how he was going to pay that....sounds too good to be true...has anyone else heard things like this?
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Egypt learned from the students who overthrew Milosevic by Tina Rosenberg

Early in 2008, workers at a government-owned textile factory in the Egyptian mill town of El-Mahalla el-Kubra announced that they were going on strike on the first Sunday in April to protest high food prices and low wages. They caught the attention of a group of tech-savvy young people an hour's drive to the south in the capital city of Cairo, who started a Facebook group to organize protests and strikes on April 6 throughout Egypt in solidarity with the mill workers. To their shock, the page quickly acquired some 70,000 followers.

But what worked so smoothly online proved much more difficult on the street. Police occupied the factory in Mahalla and headed off the strike. The demonstrations there turned violent: Protesters set fire to buildings, and police started shooting, killing at least two people. The solidarity protests around Egypt, meanwhile, fizzled out, in most places blocked by police. The Facebook organizers had never agreed on tactics, whether Egyptians should stay home or fill the streets in protest. People knew they wanted to do something. But no one had a clear idea of what that something was.

The botched April 6 protests, the leaders realized in their aftermath, had been an object lesson in the limits of social networking as a tool of democratic revolution. Facebook could bring together tens of thousands of sympathizers online, but it couldn't organize them once they logged off. It was a useful communication tool to call people to -- well, to what? The April 6 leaders did not know the answer to this question. So they decided to learn from others who did. In the summer of 2009, Mohamed Adel, a 20-year-old blogger and April 6 activist, went to Belgrade, Serbia.....

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Fascinating article, thanks D'oro
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few thoughts...
Where is Suliman? Is he a non issue from now on or will he resurface again?

Why didnt the Army include any of the organizers of the Revolution including WOMEN in the group who is working on the new constitution?

Why can't the Army set up a Task Force to hear complaints from the Labor District. I know I have seen where many sectors are now organizing a little and telling workers they should set up a committee of a few people to represent them, and then to begin negotiations. If the Army sent out some more "meaningful and instructional" sms's maybe some of these strikes might be calmed down.

Back to my coffee...

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Suliman? He was last seen disappearing off the horizon with Exiiled.
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by samaka:

That is NOT good news [Eek!] [Razz]
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Suzanne Mubarak was often invoked as a way of attacking her husband. For example, protesters chanted then, "Ya Suzanne, Ya Suzanne libis Mubarak il-fustan" ("Hey Suzanne, Mubarak Put on a Dress.") At the same time, despite attempting to cultivate the persona of a leading woman interested in Egypt's children and literacy, she instead became a symbol of everything that was wrong with the Mubarak regime, from her public friendship with the controversial Culture Minister, Farouk Hosni, to her desire to tear down a hospital near Alexandria's Corniche because she thought it to be an eyesore.

First Ladies as focal points for discontent
http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/16/first_ladies_as_focal_points_for_discontent

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Not all bad news then....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/05/investors-profits-crisis-hit-egypt?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Speculators are hoping to make a fast buck from the crisis in Egypt by buying shares in companies whose stock market values have been hammered by recent events.

One senior financial adviser told Guardian Money that investors who bought after the Tiananmen Square massacre profited hugely from China's economic rise while, more recently, Thailand has been one of the world's best-performing stock markets since last April's Bangkok riots.

Mark Mobius, arguably the most renowned investor in politically risky emerging markets, told Citywire.co.uk that he was "looking to buy" in Egypt when the stock market reopens.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
to her desire to tear down a hospital near Alexandria's Corniche because she thought it to be an eyesore.

Yes and that's why she helped founding the Children's Cancer Hospital in Cairo and planned an advanced cancer hospital in the 6th of October Governorate. [Roll Eyes]

International awards:

The 1989 UNICEF Executive Board conferred upon Mrs. Mubarak its highest honour, the"Maurice Pate Award", in recognition of her dedication and efforts for child survival, protection and development.

Given the highest Award in 1989 by the Rehabilitation International Centre for her outstanding services and support to disabled children.

Given an Honorary Fulbright Award, in recognition of her efforts in the field of child development and education.

The "Together for Peace Foundation" bestowed upon Mrs. Mubarak "The 1992 Enrique de la Mata International Prize for Peace" in recognition of her dedication in promoting child development and alleviating the suffering of victims of natural disasters.

The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International named Mrs. Mubarak in 1992 a "Paul Harris Fellow" in appreciation of the tangible and significant assistance for the furthering of better understanding and friendly relations between peoples of the world.

The " Health for All Gold Medal", the highest distinction awarded by the World Health Organization, was conferred upon Mrs. Mubarak in June 1994 in recognition of her outstanding contributions to improving the quality of life of the women and children of Egypt and her personal commitment to international efforts aimed at integrating health in the development process.

Mrs. Mubarak received the "International Book Committee, International Book Award" in April 1995 in recognition of her outstanding efforts to promote reading in Egypt.

Soka University bestowed upon Mrs. Mubarak its Award of Highest Honour in April 1995.

Westminster College, New Wilmington, honoured Mrs. Mubarak with the degree of Doctor of Laws in recognition of her outstanding achievement for the people of Egypt and in causes valued by the international community.

"The American World Book Association for Publication Award" in recognition of her role in the publication of books and her efforts in supporting the campaign of "Reading for All".

"Award of the Arab Publishers Federation in recognition of her efforts in promoting Arab literature. Cairo, 1996.

"The Avicenne Medal", UNESCO highest award, in recognition of her role in promoting cultural activities in Egypt, 1997."

"Prize of Tolerance", European Academy of Sciences and Arts, Salzburg, 1998.

"The Degree of Professor Counsellor", Shanghai University, April 1999.

Honorary Doctor Degree", Iwa University, Seoul, Korea, for her efforts to promote women's education and social development in Egypt, April 1999.

The "Rotary Award" for her efforts in combating polio, June 1999.

"Honorary Doctor Degree for Humane letters", American University in Cairo, February 2000.

"Honorary Doctor Degree", American University in Spain, in recognition of her distinctive efforts in the social field in Egypt, February 2000.

Also just in October of last year Suzanne Mubarak received the honorary doctorate from Cairo University and yeah I guess she didn't deserve it either - just politics eh???

[Confused]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pro Mubarak Supporter

Is this the new curse word here on ES? So anyone who shares not your opinion is getting this label from you???

So much about freedom of speech, Laura.

Hypocrite.

Let me pass you the bucket.

Hey, "if the shoe fits"...and from all you have posted it does..let me throw it at you! Ah! That felt good!

Seriously!

You are around 60????

It shows.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Cairo University? No. I don't see any ulterior motive there at all.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

TL, what happened to make you so completely change your tune? I'm sure something must have.

Here you are in total support:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020191;p=3#000142

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020191;p=4#000151

Looking forward to Baradei coming back:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020191;p=5#000235

and now it's as if you wish nothing had changed.

What made the difference to you?

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Hitler was decorated with quite a few awards too and was also nominated for Nobel Peace Prize in 1939

--------------------

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by samaka:

I'm still around but unfortunately so is Sulayman. He's actually at the top end of the Supreme Council of Armed Forces hierarchy, along with Tantawi, Anan and Shafiq. Oh well like their master before them, their days are numbered too. Anyone who supports Mubrak or even makes an argument for Mubarak is morally shot. The same applies to anyone making an argument for Qaddafi, Hafez Al-Asad, Saddam Hussein, Ceaușescu, Milosivic, Bashir (Sudanese Thug) or any other modern dictator that brutalized his own people.

I am however elated [Big Grin] been so past week. Still in shock actually, with a kool aid smile when hearing and seeing Egyptian freely talk. It's beautiful to see Egyptian college students freely talking politics with out fear. As far as Egypt losing 20 billion Sterling pounds, so what, what is the price for freedom?

But I love numbers and here are some facts with regards to that lost revenue. More than half of it was stock market loss. I can say with certainty that 98+% of Egyptians won't be affected by Ahmed Ezz, Sawaris and other entrepreneur losses.

They told Naguib Sawiris “you lost 1 billion overnight”, he replied “freedom is priceless.” Also there is an initaive to raise 100 Billion L.E (about 17 Billion US) by the business community, this capital wouldn't be raised if HM was still in power. And not to mention something truly valuable “intellectual capital” by way of western Egyptians who are planning on returning to Egypt. Beautiful things will happen, it will take time, but really how beautiful is it to be on the verge of democracy.

As I said before anyone making any argument for HM is morally corrupt. Damn it. [Big Grin]

Power To The People [Smile]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Why I changed my mind? Because the country is in a complete chaos now.

In the beginning it was exciting to see what's gonna happen. I followed several political activists on Twitter for over a year so I knew beforehand that #Jan25 activities were planned. I told Mona Eltahawy on that very same morning that nothing is gonna change in the land of Egypt. Oh boy was I wrong!!!! I did not think until Friday, 28 Jan that a completely new chapter for Egypt will start when I saw pics of Tahrir Square in teargas, heard shots, saw fires.

Btw I just got to know that my former boss and his entire team were running for their lives from the studio in Maspero to the German Embassy in Zamalek on that very same day. Scary, scary....

If the majority of Egyptians wanted to have Mubarak removed so be it but IMHO he should have ended his term in September and been given time for all the organizational changes involved in the transition process, changes in the constitution, enough time for parties to form etc.

What happened was chaos and as I said it's not over yet. For the sake of the country the protesters should have agreed to stick with Mubarak for a merely six months and not try to remove everyone in higher positions. Now still protests are staged for higher wages and salaries all over Egypt and I just heard that another protest in Tahrir Square is planned for tomorrow.

Mubarak made good things happen for his country, yeah he had his faults, he was disliked by many, but others spoke highly of him and not only because they feared repercussions, too many lived fat because of him. And you didn't see many pro-Mubarak supporters on the streets during the protests because they were too busy taking care of their assets.

About El Baradei: El Baradei had his chance and yet he missed it again. Where is he?????? I just wished that the #Jan25 movement had a leader, a leader who even now realizes enough with the protesting for the time being, lets bring stability back.

This revolution and the aftermath hit the poor so hard it's undeniable. They don't know what's gonna happen to them. They don't have options unlike Egyptians which are financially better off.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
to her desire to tear down a hospital near Alexandria's Corniche because she thought it to be an eyesore.

Yes and that's why she helped founding the Children's Cancer Hospital in Cairo and planned an advanced cancer hospital in the 6th of October Governorate. [Roll Eyes]

Yes what? In your logic, it's ok for her to want to get rid of a hospital because she feels it's an eyesore in one city as long as she "helps fund" another hospital hundreds of miles away?

How did she "help fund" a hospital, exactly? With her own money? By not stealing as much of that year?

I'm sorry you are so gullible as to believe because someone makes her an honorary something or gives her an award that it is a reflection upon her moral character and proves what a good person she is. Sorry, that's just PR. Most of us who work out there in the real world can spot it a mile off.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes what? In your logic, it's ok for her to want to get rid of a hospital because she feels it's an eyesore in one city as long as she "helps fund" another hospital hundreds of miles away?

How did she "help fund" a hospital, exactly? With her own money? By not stealing as much of that year?

I'm sorry you are so gullible as to believe because someone makes her an honorary something or gives her an award that it is a reflection upon her moral character and proves what a good person she is. Sorry, that's just PR. Most of us who work out there in the real world can spot it a mile off.

You are just trying again to discredit Suzanne Mubarak's achievements. Perhaps its jealousy on your side.

And yes she was working too, constantly.

She did not sit on her half Egyptian arse all day to enjoy her wealth provided by her husband.

Maybe she should have - then you would have a reason to hate her.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
After Mubarak: Rebels with Too Many Causes

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2049658,00.html#ixzz1EDouP4lK

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
For the sake of the country the protesters should have agreed to stick with Mubarak for a merely six months and not try to remove everyone in higher positions.

I completely disagree. I think the pro democracy movement HAD to insist on this. There really was no choice. It was what you could call a matter of life and death.

He was still promising them safe passage and assuring there would be no arrests, and even as those words were leaving his lips, and beyond, people WERE still being arrested - foreign media too - how stupid was that? Why would his last months have been any different to the previous 30 years? How credible is a promise when it's already broken at the moment it's uttered? Even NOW there are still protestors who haven't been accounted for, their families trawling around the morgues trying to find missing relatives.

I don't understand this logic at all. If you catch an armed robber in your house do you offer to employ him as a security guard and invite him to stay?

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

It hasn't even been a week yet - a period of chaos is natural and normal in any major change like this. It will settle.

There's so much GOOD stuff happening out there and from that the future will arise. Egyptians have to learn to trust each other. I do not understand when in history Egyptians learnt to tell themselves and each other that they are 'very bad people' when they quite simply are not.

Last Thursday night when Mubarak made the step down speech that wasn't, more than a few people here in Egypt went to bed convinced we would wake up to a massacre and hell on Earth. No way could he have stayed. And now it seems he is very very ill and probably was at the time, had he died in office this week or next, what would the situation be with no chance of opposition parties being created by that time?

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this comment...

Mubarak’s greatest crime against his people. He had no vision, no high aspiration, no will for great educational attainment. He just had this wildly exaggerated sense of Egypt’s greatness based on the past. That is why I feel sorry for those Egyptians now clamoring to get back money they claim the Mubaraks stole. That is surely a crime, if true, but Mubarak is guilty of a much bigger, more profound, theft: all the wealth Egypt did not generate these past 30 years because of the poverty of his vision and the incompetence of his cronies.

“He is a pharaoh without a mummy,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/opinion/16friedman.html?ref=thomaslfriedman

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com