EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nothing ever changes around here does it??? [Frown]

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure the best way to clean up the last couple of pages and I'm probably going to copy and paste the most inflammatory posts and responses to the Bitching Thread whether people want them there or not rather than just delete posts.

Unfortunately the system does not allow me to move individual posts so it will be just text copies in one or two big long posts.

I think I will be reduced to hijacking the Armed Forces SMSs and begging for a return to stability so pretty please with sugar on top can we return to topic in this thread and stop responding to the insults and attacks?

Any insulting or response to insult posts made in this thread after this post WILL be deleted unceremoniously.

Right, It's 18:35 in Egypt and I'm starting the cleaning now. I'm working BACKWARDS so the location of posts doesn't change as I go. I will then paste the copies over in Bitching Thread.

Well that was an hour of my life I don't want to live again - half an hour hunting and copying posts and then nearly half an hour moving them.

I will delete the posts where I have put 'contents removed' later so it's not so depressing to read.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tens of thousands of people have gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square to celebrate the overthrow one week ago of Hosni Mubarak as Egypt's president.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12502189

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Article by Marwa Rakha on how to ruin a perfect revolution:

http://marwarakha.com/?p=5775

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Google executive Wael Ghonim, who emerged as a leading voice in Egypt's uprising, was barred from the stage in Tahrir Square on Friday by security guards, an AFP photographer said."

Wonder what that is all about? Is there some current conflicts going on now about peoples opinion of him? I think I saw somewhere recently a "Wael Ghonim doesn't speak for me" facebook thing.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

How have things been in Tahrir today? Anyone been? Anyone been following closely?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
"Google executive Wael Ghonim, who emerged as a leading voice in Egypt's uprising, was barred from the stage in Tahrir Square on Friday by security guards, an AFP photographer said."

Wonder what that is all about? Is there some current conflicts going on now about peoples opinion of him? I think I saw somewhere recently a "Wael Ghonim doesn't speak for me" facebook thing.

Yes, some people are trying to make out he's a freemason or something due to having a polo shirt on with a lion logo and the same lion rampant is on the masonic coat of arms (same as it is on thousands of Coats of Arms)
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
How have things been in Tahrir today? Anyone been? Anyone been following closely?

I don't know Shanta, it seems AJE is being dominated today of the news by the BLOODBATH going on in surrounding countries. Incredibly sad [Frown]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12502189
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
quote:

Yes, some people are trying to make out he's a freemason or something due to having a polo shirt on with a lion logo and the same lion rampant is on the masonic coat of arms (same as it is on thousands of Coats of Arms)
[Eek!] [Eek!] That is just beyond ridiculous. A little scary though, how fast things can develop using "social networks" for both good and bad.

Just read the following article which gives a few more reasons for his sudden unpopularity.(At least these seem a little more credible than wearing shirt with emblem on it.)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703561604576150604132131990.html

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

This is one place where the masonic stuff is:

http://www.moon17.com/vb/t23200.html

Here's a joke one going around (at least, I think it's a joke .... )

http://tinypic.com/r/a0bgrc/7

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

There was a news item on BBC World earlier - they were talking to someone in the tourist business here - sorry didn't catch who - and he said someone from the government had actually phoned him in the past week and asked him what his grievances might be!!!!! He was astonished.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww..pls don't send Sono and Ayisha to another thread. [Frown]

They're fun and have shaped this forum's character throughout the years..let them say what they want, freedom to the people. [Wink]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

They can say what they want, just not in this thread. I had loads of complaints about it. I deleted about 2 pages worth of fighting posts which can be seen in the Bitching Thread.

Also note that other mods are inclined to simply delete a whole thread where there are lots of complaints, not spend several hours editing the irrelevancies which I think would be a crying shame as we are individuals here commenting on history as it is being made as it affects us as people with an interest in Egypt personally and without the benefit of hindsight.

Further discussion of this point to the Mods thread please!

Laura
Member # 879

quote:
This is one place where the masonic stuff is:

http://www.moon17.com/vb/t23200.html

Well the guy obviously loves Giordano shirts...but....After reading up on this company, I hardly think it has Masonic ties. If it does have some super secret hidden ties then someone should alert the Emirates about it, as their Middle East headquaters are in Dubai.

Silly really

I wonder how many arabs that owned a shirt like that hid it or burned it when they saw ppl trying to connect it to the Masons...lol

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=2010090783017

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Egyptian Armed Forces facebook page - get it here:

http://www.facebook.com/Egyptian.Armed.Forces?sk=app_4949752878

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made a trip over to Mohandiseen this afternoon. First time going over in that direction since the beginning of January.

I have to say, I was *extremely* pleased at how clean the streets were. Not just the main street but the little side streets too.

The trash all over Cairo has been such an eyesore and something that I know many ex-pats can't stand to see.

I'm glad that they are cleaning up all over and insha'Allah they keep it up. [Smile]

Also noticed as I was leaving the apartment today that they had repainted the edge of the sidewalk, but instead of just black and white, they got red in there too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I don't know Shanta, it seems AJE is being dominated today of the news by the BLOODBATH going on in surrounding countries. Incredibly sad [Frown]
I actually like the Bahrainis, had a couple fellow students in college from that nation.

One particular student of the pair stated the government is really bad and it is secretarian like Iraq.

I just can't understand why these governments feel its okay to fire live ammunition on peaceful protesters. The governments assume they answer to no one.

I think you might remember Kent University, if I have the name right. It was a protest against the Viet Nam war in which the National guard fired rounds into the crowd and killed 4 people.

I think its the Kent State incident which really gets to Americans about the uprising in the Middle East. Its part of our history too.

This is the part of Arab mentality I just never understood, that its leaders feel untouchable and because they are Muslim they answer to no other law except for their own hand picked laws.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia - Egypt 2011 Revolution
the complete story of the peaceful Egyptian revolution. Very well presented.
A link to save...!

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Revolution_of_2011

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

It would be nice if someone could translate the stuff on the Armed Forces FB page.
They've posted stuff in picture format so I can't copy and paste it into Google Translate which though leaving something to be desired, does give a vague idea as to what it's all about!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
A link to save...!

Very nice thanks.
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
A link to save...!

25 January 2011: Nationwide protests against the government of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak began, inspired by Tunisia's uprising. Tens of thousands of protestors gathered in Cairo, with thousands more in cities throughout Egypt. The protests were generally non-violent, but there were reports of some casualties among both civilians and police.

28 January 2011: The “Day of Rage” protests began. Shortly after Friday prayers, hundreds of thousands gathered in Cairo and other Egyptian cities. Opposition leader Mohammed ElBaradei traveled to Cairo to participate. Some looting was reported, and the Egyptian government ordered the military to assist police. International fears of violence grew, but no major casualties were reported.

That was the understatement of the century. It doesn't in any way describe what happened on January 28 and how pivotal that day was and the level of violence that propelled the protests to a full blown revolution. The revolution started and ended peacefully but succeeded because it got violent.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm trying to figure the best way to clean up the last couple of pages and I'm probably going to copy and paste the most inflammatory posts and responses to the Bitching Thread whether people want them there or not rather than just delete posts.

I personally do not care who writes what and do not read the board that much. Having said that if I were you I would simply delete everything those two idiots write. No copy and past and all that crap, simply delete the posts.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Well, to be honest I wasn't at all impressed by his interview with this Egyptian woman on the private Egyptian channel. I felt the bit when he cried at the end came across as staged. I don't know much about him and I'm not on facebook and not into social networing, so admittedly I'm judging from just one view of him.
However, I feel that he was being pushed forward as the leader of the revolution. Later on I've seen a few people inteviewed on the BBC and AJ being presented as youth leaders (including Ahmad Fouad Negm's daughter). My question is two fold
a) How representative are those "leaders" of the youth movement? I mean how have they been selected, have they been elected somehow?
b) How representative is the "youth movement" as a whole of the Egyptian population?

I also think that the youth movement wants to get things done too quickly. I think we do need some form of emergency law or some other exceptional laws for the time being. Those are exceptional circumstances and that's what true emergency laws are meant for, when there's a breakdown of normal laws.
I also think that the committee for constitutional reform should take it's time. Ten days is WAAAAY too short a time for such a crucial task. You'd take much longer to negotiate a two party contract, let alone a document that will decide all other laws in the land. I do acknowledge they're not starting from a scratch and that some of them had already suggested specific constitutional reforms years ago (I beleive Taher El-Beshry and Abul Magd), but still it's not a task to be taken lightly and in haste.

Anyway, I really hope the revolution will reap its benefits and Egypt becomes a better place for everybody, Egyptians and visitors.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
Okay was about to go to bed then saw this:

Egyptian prosecutors have ordered the arrest of a former ruling party chief and three ministers from deposed strongman Hosni Mubarak's government, including its onetime interior minister, the state news agency MENA announced Thursday.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/17/egypts-former-interior-minister-3-others-ordered-arrested/?hpt=T2

Habib Adly, that was Hosni Mubaraks right hand man. He was the POLICE and AMN Al-Dowla.

Justice.

Do you think the time may come when they go after Soliman too?

I wonder what kind of cell they put these crooks in? Do they have some special cells for the "elite"?

I doubt Soliman will prosecuted in this current climate. The hunt appears to be after the money. To date they targeted NDP members who had free access to embezzling money.

Ahmed Ezz Billionaire MP & tycoon, also Gamal Mubrak's BFF net worth 7-10 billion dollars

Habib Adly - Interior Minister net worth 1.3 billion dollars

Zuhair Garana – Tourism Minister net worth 2.1 billion dollars

Ahmed Al-Maqrabi – Housing Minister net worth 1.8 billion dollars

These people have the same characteristics they're sycophants, held prestigious positions and became filthy rich via their positions.

As for will “they have special cells.” I believe they will as transparency remains lacking. These were highly influential people and I'm sure many of their connections remain in place.

We'll see what deveolpes, but it's hard to believe that the integrity of the judicial system changed overnight. It is not like there is an impartial and independent prosecutor or committee that is overseeing these corruption cases. I find it hard to believe that a regime is able to prosecute itself from within.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:
quote:

I actually like the Bahrainis, had a couple fellow students in college from that nation.

One particular student of the pair stated the government is really bad and it is secretarian like Iraq.

I just can't understand why these governments feel its okay to fire live ammunition on peaceful protesters. The governments assume they answer to no one.

I think you might remember Kent University, if I have the name right. It was a protest against the Viet Nam war in which the National guard fired rounds into the crowd and killed 4 people.

I think its the Kent State incident which really gets to Americans about the uprising in the Middle East. Its part of our history too.

This is the part of Arab mentality I just never understood, that its leaders feel untouchable and because they are Muslim they answer to no other law except for their own hand picked laws.

Sure I remember Kent State. That was 1970 a memorable (good and bad) year for me. Living in Madison I also witnessed the bombing of Sterling Hall. Shocking and probably one of the first "terrorist attacks" in the US by Americans.

I also don't agree with the mentality of these arab rulers (not that I agree with any western leaders either). Akin to the Master/Slave mentality.

Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:

Well, to be honest I wasn't at all impressed by his interview with this Egyptian woman on the private Egyptian channel. I felt the bit when he cried at the end came across as staged. I don't know much about him and I'm not on facebook and not into social networing, so admittedly I'm judging from just one view of him.
However, I feel that he was being pushed forward as the leader of the revolution. Later on I've seen a few people inteviewed on the BBC and AJ being presented as youth leaders (including Ahmad Fouad Negm's daughter). My question is two fold
a) How representative are those "leaders" of the youth movement? I mean how have they been selected, have they been elected somehow?
b) How representative is the "youth movement" as a whole of the Egyptian population?

I also think that the youth movement wants to get things done too quickly. I think we do need some form of emergency law or some other exceptional laws for the time being. Those are exceptional circumstances and that's what true emergency laws are meant for, when there's a breakdown of normal laws.
I also think that the committee for constitutional reform should take it's time. Ten days is WAAAAY too short a time for such a crucial task. You'd take much longer to negotiate a two party contract, let alone a document that will decide all other laws in the land. I do acknowledge they're not starting from a scratch and that some of them had already suggested specific constitutional reforms years ago (I beleive Taher El-Beshry and Abul Magd), but still it's not a task to be taken lightly and in haste.

Anyway, I really hope the revolution will reap its benefits and Egypt becomes a better place for everybody, Egyptians and visitors.

You raise some excellent points Amoun.
From what I have read, they are not actually rewriting the constitution, but merely amending a couple of items to allow for a free election. After a free election occurs then it's up to the new administration to take on the rest of it.

And yes, I also think that people are demanding way too much, too soon, especially the labor force. I see today that the Armed Forces is stating they will use Legal Measures if any more demo's or strikes occur. Wonder how that will go over...hmmm...and what exactly are their legal measures.

Laura
Member # 879

quote:
I doubt Soliman will prosecuted in this current climate. The hunt appears to be after the money. To date they targeted NDP members who had free access to embezzling money.

Ahmed Ezz Billionaire MP & tycoon, also Gamal Mubrak's BFF net worth 7-10 billion dollars

These people have the same characteristics they're sycophants, held prestigious positions and became filthy rich via their positions.

As for will “they have special cells.” I believe they will as transparency remains lacking. These were highly influential people and I'm sure many of their connections remain in place.

We'll see what deveolpes, but it's hard to believe that the integrity of the judicial system changed overnight. It is not like there is an impartial and independent prosecutor or committee that is overseeing these corruption cases. I find it hard to believe that a regime is able to prosecute itself from within.

It seems the Swiss had just enacted a new law that allows them to freeze accounts of suspected political embezzlers without being asked. That's good news. They stated yesterday they had froze accounts of many of the Mubarak clan and "tens of millions francs" would soon be returned to Egypt. Ok when I did the math that amounts to tens of millions dollars as the exchange rate is not much different between francs and dollars. That's millions, not billions. [Frown] It is a start though....
Laura
Member # 879

Some good news for Egyptian ppl....this will help many ppl tremendously! I think alot of the prices of food were controlled by these crooks who worked for Mubarak...

Butchers, green grocers slash prices in solidarity with revolution

Several butchers and green grocers have decided to lower their prices in solidarity with the 25 January revolution.

Traders raised banners with slogans such as “No to manipulation” and “In solidarity with our people, we discount our prices.” They cut the price of tomatoes to LE1-1.25per kilo and oranges to LE1.75.

The prices of vegetables dropped to a record low on Friday, with haricot beans and peas dropping to LE3 a kilo; taro, carrots and bell peppers to LE2; and potatoes, okra and onions to LE1.5. Butchers reduced the prices of local meat from LE70 to LE40-45 a kilo.

Traders said that the price cuts will reduce their profits, but said they will willingly absorb the loss.

Ahmed Ata, a retailer, said that the decision by several green grocers to lower prices has kept the prices of vegetables low, and that retailers have not abused the low supply of goods to raise prices.

Ata said he expects prices to remain low over the coming days.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/butchers-green-grocers-slash-prices-solidarity-revolution

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some good news for Egyptian ppl....this will help many ppl tremendously! I think alot of the prices of food were controlled by these crooks who worked for Mubarak...

Butchers, green grocers slash prices in solidarity with revolution

Several butchers and green grocers have decided to lower their prices in solidarity with the 25 January revolution.

Traders raised banners with slogans such as “No to manipulation” and “In solidarity with our people, we discount our prices.” They cut the price of tomatoes to LE1-1.25per kilo and oranges to LE1.75.

The prices of vegetables dropped to a record low on Friday, with haricot beans and peas dropping to LE3 a kilo; taro, carrots and bell peppers to LE2; and potatoes, okra and onions to LE1.5. Butchers reduced the prices of local meat from LE70 to LE40-45 a kilo.

Traders said that the price cuts will reduce their profits, but said they will willingly absorb the loss.

Ahmed Ata, a retailer, said that the decision by several green grocers to lower prices has kept the prices of vegetables low, and that retailers have not abused the low supply of goods to raise prices.

Ata said he expects prices to remain low over the coming days.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/butchers-green-grocers-slash-prices-solidarity-revolution

That is excellent news... the % increase of food over the last three years has taken its toll on many.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I've received this clip, allegedly showing Ezz, Garrana and Magrebi taken into prison. Very unnerving, almost surreal. Those same police officers and soldiers would've been saluting them and protecting them only a month ago!
It's a bit scarey how times change in unpredictable ways. Who would've thought a month ago that Ezz would be dragged into prison when he was on the top of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09KuSLvGeE

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

New Woman Foundation - this just came round:

بعد اجتماع عدد من منظمات المجتمع المدني في مؤسسة المرأة الجديدة اليوم، للإتفاق على التحرك الجماعي في هذه المرحلة...

تتشرف المنظمات في مصر بدعوة سيادتكم للمشاركة في مؤتمر صحفي لمناقشة البيان المقدم للمجلس الأعلى للقوات المسلحة من أجل :

1 ـ تغيير الوزارة القائمة بوزارة جديدة لا يشارك فيها الشخصيات التي تمثل إستفزازاً للشعب المصري ممن شاركوا في أخطاء النظام السابق.

2 ـ إعادة تشكيل اللجنة المنوط بها تعديل الدستور بحيث تضم جميع الأطياف السياسية والإجتماعية نساءً ورجالاً.
3 ـ التعجيل بمحاسبة من ساهموا في فساد او إفساد النظام السابق وفي الانتهاكات التي وجهت ضد ثورة 25 يناير وبكل شفافية.

آملين في مشاركة سيادتكم والتي سوف تثري المناقشة حول فعاليات اللقاء .

المتحدثين :
1. د/ محمد نور فرحات
2. أ/ نولة درويش
3. أ/ أمير سالم
4. د/ هدى بدران
5. د. محمد منبر مجاهد
6. المستشارة / تهانى الجبالى
أتيلية القاهرة
رقم 2 شارع كريم الدولة - متفرع من شارع محمود بسيوني - طلعت حرب
الساعه الخامسة
رابطة المراة العربية

Which google translate says means:

After meeting a number of civil society organizations in the New Woman Foundation today, to agree on collective action at this stage ...

Organizations in Egypt has the honor to invite you to participate in a news conference to discuss the statement submitted to the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces for:

1 Change the ministry's new menu at the Ministry does not share the characters that represent a provocation to the Egyptian people who participated in the errors of the former regime.

2 re-formation of the committee charged with amending the constitution to include all political and social spectrum of women and men.
3 speed contributed to the accounting of corruption or corruption of the former regime and abuses directed against the Revolution of January 25 with full transparency.

We hope to share yourself and that will enrich the debate on the activities of the meeting.

Speakers:
1. Dr / Mohamed Nour Farahat
2. A / Noula Darwish
3. A / Amir Salem
4. D / Hoda Badran
5. D. Mohammed Mujahid platform
6. Chancellor / congratulations Jabali
Atelier Cairo
No. 2 State Street Kareem - Branched From Mahmoud Bassiouni - Talaat Harb
Five o'clock
Alliance for Arab Women

Doesn't seem to say what date unless it means right now!

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Prison guards accused of killing dozens of jail inmates in Egypt

An investigation has opened into the suspected fatal shooting by prison guards of dozens of jail inmates in what is probably the biggest single atrocity committed by state-employed security forces during the protests that toppled Hosni Mubarak.

An account of killings, wounded inmates left without treatment for days and others forced to scavenge for food at a jail in al-Qatta has emerged based on evidence from inmates and relatives. Some details are impossible to corroborate, including a claim by one prisoner this week that 153 inmates were killed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/prison-guards-accused-of-killing-dozens-of-jail-inmates-in-egypt-2219295.html

(fixed your link)

[ 19. February 2011, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Shanta Gdeeda ]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Lara Logan - a guy called Richard Bridge has posted this account of what happened to her - I don't know how he knows - but it seems more realistic than other stories going around.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Apology-to-Lara-Logan/189004007800082

It's not pretty reading:

"The incident initially started with verbal abuse by local women against all journalists present. A camera belonging to a German film crew was damaged, a lot of pushing and shoving started, Lara and her crew became separated, her sound recording engineer witnessed the assault on Lara but was unable to reach her.

He said she was pushed i...nto what looked like a bus shelter. She was surrounded by about eight men, two held her and she was quickly stripped naked and repeatedly groped. A number of these men took lurid self gratification, he confirmed three or four other men carried out penetration, of these two seemed quite old.

At no point was an attempt made to stop them. There was a report that local women intervened, no one can confirmed this. It was a technician from a Dutch news channel who notified soldiers standing nearby, they intervened after about 25 minutes.

Lara is a strong person, it will take considerable time to get her over this."

Laura
Member # 879

That is just incredibly disgusting, shocking and sad! [Mad] [Eek!] [Frown]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I've just messaged the guy who posted it to see if he can tell me his source. I dunno, this version of events just sounds much more real to me.
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... I dunno. He doesn't seem very credible to me. None of his FB friends indicate any connection... In fact there seems to be a bit of a national front thing going on there. He just looks like a bit of a weirdo to me.

EDIT: Yeah, in his activities and interests it says he's BNP. What a sick pile of...

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Really - I didn't notice that - oh yeah just read it now.
Doesn't mean his story is shite though.
Be interested to see what, if, his reply is!

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have bus shelters in Tahrir Square?
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I was trying to think what kind of structure it might be.
They do have things like bus shelters sort of, trying to think where exactly.

I don't think it's an eye witness account, but it just sounds more realistic than '200 people'.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I've googled the first paragraph and it appears in a number of places, so I think he was copying it from somewhere. Will have a look through and see if I can find a more credible source.

OK, it was posted on this site 2 days ago:

http://tinyurl.com/4a6ocjd

by 'Admin'

I can't look at the non-cached version of the site because it pops up some survey and won't let you get in if you're in Egypt.

It was also posted here on Yahoo Answers

http://tinyurl.com/4gcjphr

Again, have to use the cached version because the Question has actually been deleted from Yahoo.

Laura
Member # 879

What is BNP?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

British National Party - fascist party in the UK. Do quite well in local elections in certain parts of Essex and other parts of the country.
Anti-immigrants that sort of stuff.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
British National Party. Scumbuckets.

It's on yahoo answers too:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QMqAFx0HM38J:answers.yahoo.com/question/index%3Fqid%3D20110217083622AAymDHC+%22lara+logan%22+%22sound+recording+engineer%22&cd= 1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

But only the cached version as it's since been deleted.

I just don't think her sound engineer would give such a graphic account, and I find it hard to believe he was pinned there for 25 whole minutes, saw the whole thing and could do nothing about it... With a crowd like that I don't think he'd have seen anything unless it was literally under his nose.

Laura
Member # 879

Something just doesn't add up in all this. Was just reading where she was expelled from Egypt at gunpoint on the 4th after being held in detention for 24 hours. So she flew to the states and then a few days later hopped on a plane and came back? Would she even be able to get back in, if she was thrown out like that?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

There's something not adding up in the story, but I just find it more likely she was bundled into a small confined area possibly down a side street and something happened than a baying mob of 200. That said, I guess most foreigners avoided Tahrir because the State TV had been saying foreigners and journalists were Israeli spies and whipping folk into a frenzy. So I guess it might have happened as stated.
Did it happen before Mubarak 'stepped down' or after?

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I thought it was after.

I'm not saying I don't think it happened, nor that it isn't awful - clearly it is.

CBS did say the guys who did it kept chanting 'Jew'.

But rape is rape and sexual assault is sexual assault. CBS put the statement out there which she had to have approved, so presumably if it had been rape then they would have said that. They didn't have to reveal her name - she could have retained her anonimity, and the statement could have been put out as 'a reporter was attacked'.

I dunno. This guy going into all the lurid details... he just sounds like some old perve to me, plus given his background and his denial of the women helping her, coupled with him implying that the army just stood and watched for 25 minutes... sounds like an anti-foreign thing to me. Doesn't mention the beating - presumably if she's still in hospital several days later it must have been pretty horendous.

I'll be interested to see what his reply is.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

http://www.facebook.com/pages/afwd-wayl-ghnym-llthdth-basm-thwar-msr-wtshkyl-hzb-25-ynayr/195675547124928

This facebook group want Wael Ghonim to be authorised to speak.

Anyway, they have just produced a one page graphic of behaviours covering speeding, rubbish, harassment, smoking, traffic, pedestrian and other items.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egypt Moving Forward invites you to join us for an exciting celebration of Egyptian life and culture as we welcome the world to the New Egypt.

Beginning at 3:00 PM on February 26th, Luxor Temple Park will come alive with the voices of Luxorians and authentic folkloric entertainment.

Egypt Moving Forward is welcoming the world to celebrate our culture and unity: coming together and embracing change.

Today, Egypt is making new history: a free future for the people. The streets of Egypt are full of newfound liberty, happiness, and the warmth and hospitality the people are famous for. Freedom has brought new life to Egypt.

http://www.egyptmovingforward.com/home

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Did it happen before Mubarak 'stepped down' or after?

After. I saw her around 11 p.m. on the night of the celebrations, and at that point she was doing fine and in the company of a cameraman.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com