EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
I thought it was after.

I'm not saying I don't think it happened, nor that it isn't awful - clearly it is.

CBS did say the guys who did it kept chanting 'Jew'.

I'll be interested to see what his reply is.

I'd be interested to see what her comments are.
The whole thing sounded like too much drama to me, but now with what's mentioned above I feel very strongly that it is indeed drama, not real life.

I believe that's the dilemma with social networking, whilst the provide huge opportunities they pose serious challenges as well. You can write anything you want and you're bound to find someone who'd believe it.
Someone has written something earlier in this or the original thread that sounded too much drama as well. Throughout the revolution we had all sorts of preposterous claims that nobody could verify.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:

2 re-formation of the committee charged with amending the constitution to include all political and social spectrum of women and men.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with this one. This is not a popularity contest, it's a highly technical issue. Ammending the constitution requires some of the great legal minds in Egypt, a panel of experts.
What they're suggesting is like you're driving down the street, you witness a hit and run. You stop, pick-up the victim and take her to hospital, they tell you thanks for saving her life, now please perform brain surgery on her so she returns to normal. Some issues have to be left to the experts. It's like when you want to draw a contract, you tell the lawyers what yo want in detail and they do it. So yes, all people should have an input in what needs to be done, but the actual articulation and formulation should be left to the experts.

Besides, as Laura says, this will probably be an interim constitution to facilitate the election of parliament and the president. They then can initiate a new amendment process.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Mmmm... I dunno. He doesn't seem very credible to me. None of his FB friends indicate any connection... In fact there seems to be a bit of a national front thing going on there. He just looks like a bit of a weirdo to me.

I think the guy is a freak! Look at his page – lots of pictures of half-naked chicks, and some friend congratulating him on getting the Russ Meyer box set. [Roll Eyes] He obviously got off on the description of an attractive blond woman raped in public by a bunch of Arab guys gone wild. Ugh!
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was posted elsewhere on the net before he put it out there, but seems to have since been taken down.

Yeah, if he were a dog I reckon they'd put him to sleep. His FB page is the best advert for emigrating I ever saw.

EDIT: Ew, ew, ew... I didn't see the half naked ladies. This guy is wrong on every level.

ES needs a puke smilie [Frown]

POST EDIT EDIT: This guy's older posts are unbelieveable. I'm ringing the Natural History Museum first thing. I think we just found the missing link...

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
He hasn't answered yet....

I just thought about a structure that would fit the description. I am pretty sure that there are some bus 'shelters' in the side streets.

However, on the green area in front of the Mogamma, if you stand and look at the front of Mogamma, to the right hand side near the side road to the right, there is a kind of structure which I think has a water bottle dispenser in it. It is about the size of a bus shelter, but is of quite solid structure, and has two closed in sides. It would be pretty easy to trap someone in between the two open sides if you were minded to do so and if there were people on both sides.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should all stop speculating of what exactly happened to the CBS reporter, there is just too much BS out right now by different people who claim to know the exact facts.

Give Lara Logan some time to recover and she will tell her story.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

New Tourism Minister:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/sources-wafd-secretary-be-named-new-tourism-minister

Also, cabinet reshuffle expected in the next few hours. Expected that some current figures will be replaced with opposition figures.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:

Ahmed Ezz Billionaire MP & tycoon, also Gamal Mubrak's BFF net worth 7-10 billion dollars

Habib Adly - Interior Minister net worth 1.3 billion dollars

Zuhair Garana – Tourism Minister net worth 2.1 billion dollars

Ahmed Al-Maqrabi – Housing Minister net worth 1.8 billion dollars

These people have the same characteristics they're sycophants, held prestigious positions and became filthy rich via their positions.

As for will “they have special cells.” I believe they will as transparency remains lacking. These were highly influential people and I'm sure many of their connections remain in place.

I've received this clip, allegedly showing Ezz, Garrana and Magrebi taken into prison. Very unnerving, almost surreal. Those same police officers and soldiers would've been saluting them and protecting them only a month ago!
It's a bit scarey how times change in unpredictable ways. Who would've thought a month ago that Ezz would be dragged into prison when he was on the top of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09KuSLvGeE

Getting a taste of their own medicine. Their apprehension, I take it was under the Emergency Law, kind of ironic. At least they heard their charges. I’m sure Ezz and others are comfortable in Tora, it is notorious for allowing inmates as many possessions and luxuries as they can afford. TV, Mobiles, Take out, Intimacy, Etc.

There is something fishy though. Ahmed Ezz was prevented from traveling abroad in late January. This was when HM was in control. Habib Adly was prevented from traveling immediately after he was dismissed as MoI. This was also true for the Housing Minister, he actually wisely replied “I’m hearing this for the first time”, when reporters told him he was banned from traveling abroad.

The point I’m trying to make here is that most of these individual were targeted when HM was still in power. I really don’t know what to make of it, but something stinks. How can Ezz face corruption charges when Gamal isn’t? The entire world know they’re linked and associated in most dealings.

Monkey mentioned it was suspect that HM accounts were not included in the list of accounts requested to be frozen. My only guess is that HM/Gamal are using those accounts to funnel (bribe) to accounts of military officials.

But yeah that video was awesome if there's any merit to it.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read that Hisham Talat Mustafa was welcoming them in Tora Prison when they came.

For those who do not know, hisham was a real estate Tycoon who built Al rehab and madinati. He was accused and condemned of killing a lebanese singer.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As For Lara Logan, I have read that she was working as a model. I am wondering how she switched her career to the press. There must be a unknown story to tell.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
As For Lara Logan, I have read that she was working as a model. I am wondering how she switched her career to the press. There must be a unknown story to tell.

So good looks and brain can't go together in your opinion? And therefore you are questioning her academic achievements?

She was a swimsuit model while studying journalism at the University of Natal in Durban, which she successfully graduated in 1992.

Tareq, you don't think that Lara Logan is a 'loose' woman, do you? You don't think that she deserved what happened to her at Tahrir Square because of her past????

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
I have read that Hisham Talat Mustafa was welcoming them in Tora Prison when they came.

For those who do not know, hisham was a real estate Tycoon who built Al rehab and madinati. He was accused and condemned of killing a lebanese singer.

And I thought he escaped prison three weeks ago. Lots of unconfirmed rumors, it's crazy....
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As For Lara Logan, I have read that she was working as a model.

Yeah, so? What does that have to do with anything? Never heard of people switching carreers? [Confused]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can Ezz face corruption charges when Gamal isn’t? The entire world know they’re linked and associated in most dealings.

[/QB]

I was asking the same question last night to hubby Exiiled, and he said that it will be much harder to go after Gamal since he had no official position in the regime, was only a member of the NDP. Just his opinion [Smile]
This must be extremely frustrating for many. [Frown]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
quote:

So good looks and brain can't go together in your opinion? And therefore you are questioning her academic achievements?

She was a swimsuit model while studying journalism at the University of Natal in Durban, which she successfully graduated in 1992.

Tareq, you don't think that Lara Logan is a 'loose' woman, do you? You don't think that she deserved what happened to her at Tahrir Square because of her past????

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Yeah, so? What does that have to do with anything? Never heard of people switching carreers? [Confused]
What a load of Questions..

I do not believe 50 % of what is written by journalist who have no past different jobs. what if someone was working a plumber in the past and then went to work as a journalist. It does not match.

I respect speciality. [Wink]

Yes, she can switch careers ( or 'carrers 'according to Dalia ) but I am not gonna believe such stories written by her [Razz]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

What a load of Questions..

I do not believe 50 % of what is written by journalist who have no past different jobs. what if someone was working a plumber in the past and then went to work as a journalist. It does not match.

I respect speciality. [Wink]

Yes, she can switch careers ( or 'carrers 'according to Dalia ) but I am not gonna believe such stories written by her [Razz]

yet no problem with a soldier becoming a dictatorial president of a country and bleeding it dry?

Many people work as waitresses or waiters while putting themselves through college, does that make their degrees invalid and make them only half doctors, scientists, journalists, etc? No one is BORN into a particular profession, babaMu wasn't born as president, people work hard in the real world to reach their goals and only here is it down to family related achievements where working hard and having brains matters little

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Yes, she can switch careers ( or 'carrers 'according to Dalia )

Excuse the typo. [Roll Eyes]
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Many people work as waitresses or waiters while putting themselves through college, does that make their degrees invalid and make them only half doctors, scientists, journalists, etc? No one is BORN into a particular profession, babaMu wasn't born as president, people work hard in the real world to reach their goals and only here is it down to family related achievements where working hard and having brains matters little [/QB]

I don't think Tareq has traveled much outside of Egypt and in his country, you don't waitress your way through university (sadly).
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
I am not sure if she was working as a model because she was in a need for money. Do not mix being a waiter or waitress for education expenses with being a model for may be a fame and Lots of Money..

I do not Judge any one but I am cautious to believe all what I read. I still take past jobs as a reference to what others speak and talk.

Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Many people work as waitresses or waiters while putting themselves through college, does that make their degrees invalid and make them only half doctors, scientists, journalists, etc? No one is BORN into a particular profession, babaMu wasn't born as president, people work hard in the real world to reach their goals and only here is it down to family related achievements where working hard and having brains matters little

I don't think Tareq has traveled much outside of Egypt and in his country, you don't waitress your way through university (sadly). [/QB]
Well, I have travelled outside Egypt. and I know personally a couple of American Girls who were working as waitresses during university.

The culture here in egypt is different. But It is not that sad as you describe it. Most families here support their children education during university. They have no need to work before graduation...

Do I need to say that those two girls I know have no solid family. Their parents are divorced.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I know this is a bit controversial but... I actually see where Tareq is coming from.

Not that being an ex model in anyway justifies sexual assault. Not that being an ex model makes you a less credible journalist. But this story sure is big news. 300 (or if you count those murdered in the prison, 450) + people were murdered throughout this revolution. I'd like to see a FB page devoted to each of their families with people saying how sorry they are.

Why does this story make the BBC homepage? Because Lara Logan is beautiful? When that beautiful Egyptian girl was smashed over the head, they didn't print a word for her. She was just a number. And she was not only badly beaten. She's dead. There's something wrong in the world, I'm telling you.

I will say, my best friend from school was raped. The last thing she would have done is put an announcement in the national papers - heck, international papers. Actually, they wouldn't have printed it until it was proven in a court of law.

Everyone and their dog knows who Lara Logan is now. But what was that Egyptian girl called?

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm. I know this is a bit controversial but... I actually see where Tareq is coming from.

Not that being an ex model in anyway justifies sexual assault. Not that being an ex model makes you a less credible journalist. But this story sure is big news. 300 (or if you count those murdered in the prison, 450) + people were murdered throughout this revolution. I'd like to see a FB page devoted to each of their families with people saying how sorry they are.

Why does this story make the BBC homepage? Because Lara Logan is beautiful? When that beautiful Egyptian girl was smashed over the head, they didn't print a word for her. She was just a number. And she was not only badly beaten. She's dead. There's something wrong in the world, I'm telling you.

I will say, my best friend from school was raped. The last thing she would have done is put an announcement in the national papers - heck, international papers. Actually, they wouldn't have printed it until it was proven in a court of law.

Everyone and their dog knows who Lara Logan is now. But what was that Egyptian girl called?

Great post Monkey with extremely valid points!
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I agree with you Monkey regarding the situation of the women.

However, this story is about more than a case of sexual harassment/rape of an individual.

Commments by normal everyday readers of the press are using this incident to say:

(1) Egyptians are nothing but brutish animals
(2) This proves that they are unfit for democracy
(3) This is an unsafe country to travel in
(4) All Egyptian men are abusers
(5) It's all because of Islam and that's what we should expect to happen in the UK if we kowtow to muslims
and so on and so forth.

I was spitting feathers after reading the Daily Mail readers comments - and unfortunately the Daily Mail never ever publish any comments I ever make (even though I promise you that they are non-inflammatory and polite!)

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I really always thought of you as an intelligent,quite forward Egyptian guy,but your statement above makes you come across as quite the contrary.
Any reason why an attractive or even boldly beautiful woman shouldnt strive or pursue a career other than being a model?
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:

2 re-formation of the committee charged with amending the constitution to include all political and social spectrum of women and men.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with this one. This is not a popularity contest, it's a highly technical issue. Ammending the constitution requires some of the great legal minds in Egypt, a panel of experts.
What they're suggesting is like you're driving down the street, you witness a hit and run. You stop, pick-up the victim and take her to hospital, they tell you thanks for saving her life, now please perform brain surgery on her so she returns to normal. Some issues have to be left to the experts. It's like when you want to draw a contract, you tell the lawyers what yo want in detail and they do it. So yes, all people should have an input in what needs to be done, but the actual articulation and formulation should be left to the experts.

Besides, as Laura says, this will probably be an interim constitution to facilitate the election of parliament and the president. They then can initiate a new amendment process.

And I have to disagree with you, Amoun! Please see below petition signed by 63 different organizations:

The Constitutional committee starts working while neglecting and excluding female legal experts

The institutions and organizations below have signed this statement in disapproval of the criteria and formation of the Constitutional Committee, whereby the committee does not include a single female expert.
Advancing with a committee like this, triggers fears and suspicions with regards to the future of Egypt and the transitional phase which Egypt is currently witnessing after the 25th of January Revolution. This issue poses a critical question with regards to democracy and the main aims of the revolution which were initially spelled out as equality, freedom, democracy and participation of all citizens.
We are hereby questioning the criteria according to which the members of the constitutional committee are chosen; are they based on political criteria or on values of equality and justice as spelled out by the revolution? If the criteria are based on efficiency and integrity, then why are female legal experts excluded despite the fact that Egypt is rich with lots of female experts in constitutions whether in the Supreme Constitutional Court or the Faculties of Law.
We believe that as Egyptian women largely and equally participated in the revolution with Egyptian men and some of them have been jailed and still lost while others have even martyred, they have the right to participate in building the New Egyptian State on the simple basis of citizenship.
Nevertheless, we strongly have confidence in the discretion of the Military Council in guiding Egypt towards democracy. Hence, we are making the statement today to stress on the values of citizenship and participation of women, specifically in the Constitutional Committee at the moment.

1- The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights- Helwan
2- Andalus institute for tolerance and anti-violence studies- Cairo
3- The Centre for the Independence of Judges and Lawyers (CIJL) – Cairo
4- Association of Human Communication- Cairo
5- The United Group- Cairo
6- Association of Arab Women- Cairo
7- Health and Environmental Culture Society- Cairo
8- Egyptian Medical Women's Association- Helwan
9- Citizen's Society for Development and Human Rights- Giza
10- Maat Foundation for Peace and Development and Human Rights- Cairo
11- Vision Society for Enlightenment and Community Development- El Menia
12- Association of population development and the preservation of the environment- Cairo
13- Our Society Association for Development and Human Rights- Cairo
14- The Egyptian Society for Marketing and Development
15- The Egyptian Foundation for Family Development- Giza
16- Association of Middle East for Peace and Human Rights- Cairo
17- With You Society for Social Assistance- Helwan
18- Gozour Society for the comprehensive Development- Helwan
19- The Egyptian Society for Family Empowerment- Giza
20- The Legislative Association in Bakri Mastour- Qalioubia
21- Pioneers Society for Development- Giza
22- Al Zohor Association for Development - 6th of October
23- Society Development Association in Sakil – 6th of October
24- The Egyptian Association for Environmental and Humanitarian Development - Al Qualiubia
25- Our Society Association for Development and Human Rights - Giza
26- The Egyptian Association for the spread of environmental awareness - Al Qualiubia
27- Association of Women and Child Development - Al Qualiubia
28- The legislative Association in Saa'd Zaghlol – Al Qualiubia
29- Legal Association for the support of Family and Human rights - Cairo
30- Mary Girgis Youth Association - Cairo
31- Hope Association in Al Aslougy - Sharkia
32- Women for Development Association – 6th of October
33- The Egyptian Association for Defend and support - Helwan
34- Ayatollah Association - Giza
35- Economic Liberalization Association - Cairo.
36- Al Sharkia Youth Association – Al Sharkia
37- Al Mashrek Association for Population Development - Sharkia
38- Cairo Center for Development - Giza
39- Kelmetna Association for Dialogue and Development - Cairo
40- El Nadim Center for the Management and Rehabilitation of victims of violence - Cairo
41- Friends of Youth and Environment Association - October
42- Future Girls Association for Development - Cairo.
43- Frasis Charitable Association for Society's Development - Gharbia
44- Al Hayat Association in Zifta- Gharbia
45- The Forum of Dialogue and Partnership for Development - Giza
46- Future Association for Development - Aswan
47- The Egyptian Association for Community Participation Enhancement - Fayuom
48- Al Fayoum Renaissance Association - Fayuom
49- The Association of the interested people in education and development – Fayuom
50- Al Tanweer Centre for Development and Human Rights - Giza
51- The Egyptian Organization for Human Rights – Cairo
52- Al Mahrousa Center – Cairo
53- Nama'a Association for Development and Human Rights – Al Gharbia
54- The Arab Program for Human Rights Activists – Cairo
55- Association For the Development and Enhancement of Women – Cairo
56- Hawaa Future Association – Giza
57- Ismailia Generations for Development Association – Ismailia
58- Haq Center for Democracy and Human Rights – Cairo
59- Association for the Support and Development of Education – Giza
60- World Without Borders Association for Human Rights - Cairo
61- New Fustat Association- Cairo
62- Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights- Cairo
63- Egyptian Association for Disseminating & Developing Legal Awareness- Giza

http://ecwronline.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=english

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Where are you coming from Monkey?

quote:

Not that being an ex model in anyway justifies sexual assault.

I agree

quote:

Not that being an ex model makes you a less credible journalist

I disagree. In some cases, It does mean something.
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
From the UK.

Come on, Tareq. I can tell you that here in the UK, many, many women like to buy clothing online or mail order. We won't buy the clothes if we can't see what they look like on. Being a swimwear model is not the same as being a glamour model here. I don't think so anyway.

Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

Any reason why an attractive or even boldly beautiful woman shouldnt strive or pursue a career other than being a model?
[Roll Eyes]

My point was that both Careers does not match. and I do not know the lady to tell you she is credible or not. She might be used by others for such a story.
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
From the UK.

Come on, Tareq. I can tell you that here in the UK, many, many women like to buy clothing online or mail order. We won't buy the clothes if we can't see what they look like on. Being a swimwear model is not the same as being a glamour model here. I don't think so anyway.

Will you work as a model, one day? or will you let your sister or daughter or mother work so?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Here is another journalist saying she too was attacked in Tahrir by a mob on the same night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1358759/Like-Lara-Logan-I-mob-sex-attack-victim-Tahrir-Square.html

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I have a brother, and if he wants to, no problem [Smile]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

@Tareq - modelling is very highly paid - why go and fit pieces to circuit boards for national minimum wages when you can prance around in clothes for more money in one day than a factory worker earns in a few months?

I don't necessarily agree with that (as there's no chance anyone is going to pay me £'000s to prance around in clothes for a day!) but that is the way of the world. Salary paid is often inversely proportional to the value of the work to society.

In the UK modelling is not considered a shameful profession unless you are modelling clothes made of animal fur.

There is a distinction between swimwear modelling and glamour modelling.

Swim wear modelling is exactly what it says and no problem at all. The women (and men) are wearing what they would wear at the seaside or pool.

Glamour modelling is soft porn and designed to titillate.

And yes, you can both do that and have a 'sensible' career.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
From the UK.

Will you work as a model, one day? or will you let your sister or daughter or mother work so?
What would be the problem to work as a model?And why on Earth if a woman,girl or lady has a career-profession and wishes to have another one as side job or whatever,should they match?
Seriously,you are talking as a fundi and not as a young,well travelled guy. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:

I did not ask about your bro? [Razz]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
quote:

I did not ask about your bro? [Razz]
Yes, but men and women are EQUAL.
So if it goes for one it goes for the other too.
If a woman can be a model, so can a man.
If a man can be an astronaut, so can a woman.

The only thing men can't do that women can is get pregnant and have a baby.

The only thing men can do that women can't is produce sperm.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Hmmm... Ok. I don't have a sister or a daughter and I don't feel it's my place, ever, to tell my mother what to do.

I would not be allowed to as I am contractually bound by my employers not to moonlight whatever the vocation.

Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Same Question to Shanta

I have just read that Mubarak reveals his money to the government. and It says that he used to reveal his money year by year to the goverhnment.

D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No problem if he wants to what? [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
quote:

No problem if he wants to what? [Confused] [Confused]
model [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

@Tareq I would love to work as a model and get paid £10000 for a day's work but ain't noone gonna pay me ;(

If my sister or mother or daughter if I had one wanted to, yes, why not?
If my male relations wanted to why not?

It is not a bad profession which you seem to think it is. It's just putting odd-looking clothes on and having your photo taken.

Anyway, this is moving considerably off topic now so I shall stop commenting on this now!

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
How can Ezz face corruption charges when Gamal isn’t? The entire world know they’re linked and associated in most dealings.

I was asking the same question last night to hubby Exiiled, and he said that it will be much harder to go after Gamal since he had no official position in the regime, was only a member of the NDP. Just his opinion [Smile]
This must be extremely frustrating for many. [Frown] [/QB]

Your hubby's opinion is as good as everyone else's. It is all frustrating and it is all puzzling. I am of the belief that the system can only truly change when ALL remnants of the regime are eliminated. And as harsh as that may sound, I do not mean executions, but rather fair trials, and those found complicit must refrain from any participation in politics, for life.

Hosni Mubarak Must Be Held Accountable
Gamal Mubarak Must Be Held Accountable

There is a lot of dirt on each and every member of the Mubarak family, but these two, they stand out. Inexcusable crimes of corruption.

Including Mubarak and his son Gamal and the 3 ministers that were recently charged, and also Ahmed Ezz. We are talking about 6 of the most 500 richest me on earth. These are not natural Tycoons, they are not whiz-kids, they are thieves!

I ask everyone here:

The Interior Minister is worth 1.3 billion
The Tourism Minister is worth 2+ billion
The Housing Minister is worth 1.8 billion

Which other country has a ministry of billionaires? What does that say about Hosni Mubarak when 40% of his people were living on $2 a day or less.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
so shanta, Have you thought why they will pay £10000 for a one who works as a model?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
so shanta, Have you thought why they will pay £10000 for a one who works as a model?

Last comment on this topic by me:

Yes, it is because the clothes companies expect to make a heck of a lot more money because Naomi or Claudia or whoever it is these days is seen in their clothes.

I think you are trying to suggest that it is prostitution and has some relation to sexual favours, it is not.

If you saw most British prostitutes, they certainly wouldn't make modelling careers, a lot of them are drug-addled very sorry looking types.

Anyway, enough. Off topic now.

If you want to debate this subject in more detail, please make a new thread - maybe something like Differences in Attitudes to Female Careers between Egypt and Wherever.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
You guys seeing what's happening in Libya. Madman unleashed helicopters against his people. Al-Khalifa in Bahrain sending Pakistani and Indian riot police against Bahrani citizens. Oh yeah, there are reports that some Bahrani riot police are actually Syrians. That's how those small Gulf states operate. They hire mercenaries.

The wickedness of Arab dictators is on full display on CNN. USA bought Arab dictators. You know what they call Obama in Egypt? It's never been mentioned not even once on ES. Black Bush just translate it in Arabic.

You know some beautiful things that arised after Jan25 and after Feb11?

Arab writers online are using their real names and not their pen names. Did you know that? Most people don't even know the significance. It's actually huge. [Smile]

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with you Monkey regarding the situation of the women.

However, this story is about more than a case of sexual harassment/rape of an individual.

Commments by normal everyday readers of the press are using this incident to say:

(1) Egyptians are nothing but brutish animals
(2) This proves that they are unfit for democracy
(3) This is an unsafe country to travel in
(4) All Egyptian men are abusers
(5) It's all because of Islam and that's what we should expect to happen in the UK if we kowtow to muslims
and so on and so forth.

I was spitting feathers after reading the Daily Mail readers comments - and unfortunately the Daily Mail never ever publish any comments I ever make (even though I promise you that they are non-inflammatory and polite!)

Shanta...please give up reading the Mail. They hardly touched the revolution in their so called news. Why do they keep putting down Egypt.....On another board I noticed similar negative remarks being made...quoting the Mail....They guy was Jewish....the Mails money comes from the Jewish point of view. All they could think about when the revolution was on .....was what about Israel......nothing about give the people their freedom and choice.
I now don't read the mail....The Independant is much more objective

In no way am I religious, but I have come across some people in Egypt quick to blame Israel when bad things happen.......Reading the Mail reminds me of that attitude

Good luck the new Egypt

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I know PC - I hate the Daily Mail - unfortunately it is very popular with normal Brits who might be thinking of coming here on holiday and reflects the British mindset in many cases!
It is as well to know what you are up against!

Laura
Member # 879

It seems things are quieting down today in Egypt [Smile] Far less strikes going on, banks opened, Pyramids opened, talk of opening stock market on Tuesday...yeah....all good news!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

So where do you think we are on the graph:

http://dhemery.com/images/change.gif

we've been through or are still going through the 'chaos' when many new ideas are generated - do we have a feel yet for the 'transforming idea'?

Chaos, Stress, and Creativity

Chaos is stressful. The stress is our response to a Foreign Element, an indication that one of our significant assumptions differs from reality. We may experience the stress as pain, fear, confusion, urgency, excitement. Whatever the emotion, the purpose of the stress is to motivate us to make sense of what is going on and figure out how to respond effectively. Up to a point, the greater the stress, the greater our motivation to resolve the chaos.

When we are in Chaos, we are uncertain about what we can do to make things better. We try a variety of responses. We do more of what we have been doing, or less. We try behaviors that worked at some other time and place. We try things we have never done before, hoping that something, anything, will work. We search frantically for information, though we are uncertain about what information will help us. We yell, or cry, or shut down, or run away. We may try each of these things, one after another. Our behavior becomes very unpredictable.

To express this in a different way, we become very creative. Our stress jolts us into extraordinary creativity. We generate a great variety of possible things to do, and we try them.

Unfortunately, most of our ideas and behaviors do not help, and some of them make things worse. We continue because each new idea, each new behavior is potentially a Transforming Idea. Eventually, some behavior, some idea will work. But we don’t know which one until we try, so we try many different things.

The purpose of Chaos is to generate a Transforming Idea.

http://dhemery.com/articles/managing_yourself_through_change/

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news Laura. Hopefully the British embassy will be opening soon too.

I wish someone would want me as a model... Oh wait, I have a degree in journalism so I guess I can't *sigh*

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
You guys seeing what's happening in Libya. Madman unleashed helicopters against his people. Al-Khalifa in Bahrain sending Pakistani and Indian riot police against Bahrani citizens. Oh yeah, there are reports that some Bahrani riot police are actually Syrians. That's how those small Gulf states operate. They hire mercenaries.

The wickedness of Arab dictators is on full display on CNN. USA bought Arab dictators. You know what they call Obama in Egypt? It's never been mentioned not even once on ES. Black Bush just translate it in Arabic.

You know some beautiful things that arised after Jan25 and after Feb11?

Arab writers online are using their real names and not their pen names. Did you know that? Most people don't even know the significance. It's actually huge. [Smile]

Hey I did Exiiled, but it seems so many other things are on ppl's minds these days. It's like just about every country in the region is desperately trying to achieve what Tunisia and Egypt did...may God be with them...the murdering of innocent civilians that is taking place is just horrific [Frown] [Eek!] [Mad] [Mad]

posted 18 February, 2011 07:28 PM

How have things been in Tahrir today? Anyone been? Anyone been following closely?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know Shanta, it seems AJE is being dominated today of the news by the BLOODBATH going on in surrounding countries. Incredibly sad

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com