EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

From what I have seen, heard and read, the class system is alive and well here in Egypt.

Most definitely. It is NOT the same as in any other culture, sorry.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said, each is entitled to their own opinion. We all talk from our experiences which will be different, especially those who live in Egypt or visiting or have been living there, etc.
Based on all that, I accept that you don't agree with me. I hope you too accept that my opinion is based on my own experiences.
I'll have to leave it at this point.

Happy flighting, lol

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We all talk from our experiences which will be different, especially those who live in Egypt or visiting or have been living there, etc.
Amoun, in which countries, apart from Egypt, have you lived?
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amoun seems to have a habit of saying 'let's agree to disagree - goodbye' when the discussion has barely begun.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, there is definitely rampant classism in Egypt, which is more pervasive than religionism. This is what the revolution is about. To close the wealth gap, to end the authoritarianism that makes every boss treat their workers as inferiors who receive pitiful wages and have no right to complain for fear of losing their jobs. Every rich person treats the poor with either contempt or condescension. The language reflects it, the ridiculous forms of address of the lower classes to the upper, the poor to the rich. This will be the greatest achievement of the revolution... respect for all.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
Amoun seems to have a habit of saying 'let's agree to disagree - goodbye' when the discussion has barely begun.

not really, only when I sense that the discussion won't be going anywhere. I only present my view and listen to that of others. I'm not trying to score a point or prove anybody wrong. It's not a matter of life and death for me! I'm not an egoist, I have no problem withdrawing from a discussion if it's not leading anywhere.
I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Also some discussions descend into absurdism (a la Samuel Beckett, lol), where others seem to completely utterly totally catgorically miss your point that you feel they're talking about something completely different. They don't read what you say but what they think you ought to be saying!
That's not to mention personal attacks of course.
I think most sensible people would avoid such a discussion. Btw, I'm not talking about the particular discussion about classism, etc., but about other discussions (if I can call them that) on other threads.
Hey, carry on without me, I assure you the world won't stop. It didn't stop when Mubarak left!

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:

not really, only when I sense that the discussion won't be going anywhere. I only present my view and listen to that of others. I'm not trying to score a point or prove anybody wrong. It's not a matter of life and death for me! I'm not an egoist, I have no problem withdrawing from a discussion if it's not leading anywhere.
I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Amoun in my opinion (you might want to try using that phrase), you are immensely inflexible in your thinking.

Its your country yes, but doesn't mean others cannot judge or develop opinions of Egypt as well.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in public somewhere in Egypt and this guy comes out of the woodwork to give me his manefesto on America. He's never been to America, he's a retired cop obviously, and he knows more about my nation than I do and he's never been there.

Very few people around him feel any kind of revulsion for that type of banter.

I understand its your nation, but Egyptians would rather, in my opinion, pretend problems don't exist that don't concern them.

That type of attitude kept babaMu in power for nearly 30 years. The "HOLIER THAN THOU" paradigm.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
[
Libya will fall, like so many more after it. Let's chill though, 2 nations fell in a month's time. [Wink]

I agree, Libya will fall. It's almost inevitable. Dictators don't seem to learn from history, even very recent history, like a few weeks ago!!
Bahrain doesn't surprise me because there's systemic injustice there. My understanding is that the majority of the population are Shia muslims while the ruling elite are Sunnis. I'm told by Bahrainis that the Shia'ites don't get their rights. Unless the king makes true reform, there's likely to be major unrest. The problem with Bahrain is that it's a testbed for the rest of the gulf states because all of them have Shia minorities who are (allegedly) discriminated against.
I think Jordan and Morroco will survive if they implement true reforms. My understanding is that in both countries, people are not against the king a such but the ruling system.
Syria seems to be under control. Can't predict much about Algeria, it might go either way.

Amoun, the political anal-ist, lol

Did anyone watch Gaddafi's son rant and rave through a speach on TV last night? He gave out threats, blackmail, offered to change flag, blamed everyone from the outside world, threatened civil war. Then said people would need a passport to travel from East to West Lybya.....he just waffeled for 40 mins waving his hands around.......a dictator in training... Control freak [Eek!] [Eek!]

No wonder Libyan's want to be free. Good luck the people

What will be most difficult for Egyptians is the idea of EQUALITY - that each voice, and vote, has the same value - that the dark skinned Nubian, the baweb's daughter, and the Christian shop keeper all have the same right to express their opinion at the polling booth as the wealthy businessman living in a villa in 6 October.

THIS, I believe, will be Egypt's challenge.

What do you base this on?
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

شهد السوق التجارى بمدينة الغردقة صباح اليوم الثلاثاء اشتباكات بين مواطنين عاديين وأفراد شرطة على خلفية التظاهرات التى نظمها أمناء الشرطة والمخبرين السريين بالمدينة للمطالبة بتحسين أوضاعهم الوظيفية وزيادة الرواتب.

وأشار شهود عيان إلى أن الاشتباكات اندلعت بين الجانبين فى أعقاب محاولة أمناء الشرطة إغلاق منافذ السوق الأمر الذى رفضه الأهالى بما دفع بعض أفراد الشرطة للاشتباك مع المواطنين وتحطيم بعض السيارات المتواجدة بالمنطقة وإصابة أحد المواطنين "علاء الرشيدى "بكسر مضاعف فى الساق .

وأضاف شهود العيان أن اعتداءات افراد الشرطة تمت على مرأى من ضباط مديرية الأمن ومدير الأمن الذين تواجدوا على مقربة من الأحداث ولم يتدخلوا لوقف تجاوزات الشرطة وقال المواطن حسين أحمد القزاز أنه اثناء قيادة سيارته الخاصة ف فوجىء بمجموعة من افراد الشرطة بيرتدون الزى الميرى يسيرون فى مسيرة تسد الشارع قبل أن يشرعو فى تحطيم سيارات المواطنين و يقتحمون عليه سيارته الخاصة ويحاولون تحطيمها.

http://dostor.org/crime/11/february/22/36811

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

No more Germany for Mubarak, not it's Saudi Arabia

أفادت قناة الحرة منذ قليل أن الرئيس المصري المخلوع حسني مبارك قد سافر إلى السعودية منذ ما يقرب من يوم تقريبا للعلاج من سرطان البنكرياس بمستشفى تبوك، وذلك بعد اشتداد المرض عليه في الفترة الأخيرة، خاصة بعد تدهور حالته النفسية عقب تخليه عن السلطة مجبرا نزولا على مطالب الثوار.

وكانت قناة المستقبل اللبنانية - القريبة من النظام السعودي والتي تمول من قبل بعض رجاله - قد أكدت نفس الخبر منذ قليل.

ومن المعروف أن الرئيس المصري السابق كان قد أجرى عدة فحوص طبية سابقة قبل أن يجري عملية جراحية لاستئصال الحويصلة المرارية بمستشفى هيدلبرج بألمانيا.

http://dostor.org/politics/egypt/11/february/22/36799

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by this:
مفاجأة: مجند بالقوات المسلحة هو مؤسس جروب خالد سعيد الذي دعا لثورة 25 يناير

كشف د.شادي الغزالي حرب عضو ائتلاف ثورة 25 يناير عن مفاجأة مدوية بأن مؤسس جروب خالد سعيد الذي كان أول من دعا للخروج في مظاهرات يوم 25 يناير، هو الآن مجند في القوات المسلحة ويدعى "عبد الرحمن منصور".

وأضاف حرب في تصريحات لبرنامج العاشرة مساء بأن "عبد الرحمن منصور" كان صاحب الفكر السياسي وراء جروب كلنا خالد سعيد ودعوة الخروج في مظاهرات حاشدة تطالب باسقاط نظام الرئيس السابق حسني مبارك، وأن الناشط وائل غنيم كان مسئول الجانب التقني في الجروب.

وقال حرب- في حضور ثلاثة من أعضاء المجلس الأعلى للقوات المسلحة- أن ائتلاف الثورة اخفى اسم عبد الرحمن منصور طوال هذه الفترة بسبب حساسية موقفه كونه أصبح مجندا في القوات المسلحة منذ يوم 17 يناير الماضي أي قبل الثورة بثمانية أيام فقط، وطالب حرب أعضاء المجلس الأعلى للقوات المسلحة عدم اتخاذ أي إجراء تجاه منصور وهو أمر كان الرد عليه من قبل أعضاء المجلس بأن الفيصل في ذلك هل ما قام به لمصلحة الوطن أم لا، مؤكدين أن مافعله هو لمصلحة الوطن بكل تأكيد، كما أكد أعضاء المجلس.

http://dostor.org/politics/egypt/11/february/22/36758

It doesn't surprise me really. I'm sure a lot of people will claim they started the revolution or were leaders, motivators, making tea for the leaders, buying bathroom tissue for the leaders to wipe their bums, etc, etc.
We've already seen a few people in the media interviewed as leaders. I've posted about that earlier.
The fact remains that none of them has been democratically elected (to the best of my knowledge). If you're an instigator of an event, does that make you it's leader? I don't know.

Hey, here's the real surprise, you know what? Hosni Mubarak is the one who started the revolution because he wanted to have something to his name. The first air strike wasn't good enough an achievement, he wanted to have his own revolution like Nasser.
Spread the word!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-h1IrZOfU
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple of observations:

When I went past the Mubarak Police Academy on the way to the airport on Monday, the name was still up there in English lettering, but the Arabic lettering had mostly been torn down and was in a heap at the bottom of the wall.

Also, travelling around the Giza area for the past week, almost every time I've seen a policeman, there's been a soldier in the vicinity as well. Wonder if that is just to help the police get back in role and how widespread it is?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Classism

A new constitution can tackle class discrimination. Affirmative action can be used effectively to reverse the systematic discrimination that flourished under Hosni Mubarak's regime. It's as simple as that, a policy of fair employment via a quota system that all companies in Egypt must adhere with must be enacted. I also agree with Laura about new education policy that must be put in place. One hopefully that will increase literacy rates. A good model is Jordan, they have successfully increased their literacy rate from below 70% in 1990 to over 92% in 2009. With 99.5% literacy rate of 15-25 yr old group. Just as big a challenge will be educating the sizable illiterate population. This must be achieved in pragmatic way and should take into account all complexities and challenges facing Egypt. Nothing truly worth sustaining will be easy. It will take many years, but how beautiful is it to have a new start in life?!

I would also like to add that what is transpiring around the Arab world may prove very beneficial for Egypt. Arab regimes for political reasons limit the number of Arab workers from other Arab countries. Gulf states alone employ millions of non-Arabs because of these policies. I could very well envision sympathetic Arab governments hiring workers from their Arab neighbors over laborers from countries that are thousands of miles away. This would help because the illiterate Egyptians I mentioned above will have greater opportunities in neighboring countries. This is common policy in many parts of the world. In the Asean region, hiring of laborers is preferential to neighboring nations, there are accords and agreements in this regard.

Power To The People.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ministry of Interior in Cairo is currently on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaM-urKMZdw

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ten ministers, deputy PM sworn in

By Agencies February 23, 2011, 1:42 am

CAIRO: Ten new ministers and the first deputy prime minister in years were sworn in on Tuesday in the first cabinet reshuffle since a military council took power, state television announced.

The new ministers were sworn in before Field Marshall Hussein Tantawi, the head of a military council which has ruled Egypt since president Hosni Mubarak was ousted on Feb.11 following more than two weeks of mass protests.

Professor of constitutional law Yehia El-Gamal was sworn in as deputy prime minister; Amr Ezzat Salama as Minister of Scientific Research and Technology; Ahmed Gamal Eddin Moussa as Minister of Education and Higher Education; Maged Ibrahim Othman as Minister of Communication Information Technology; Ashraf Mahmoud Ibrahim Hatem as Minister of Health and Population; Mahmoud Abdel-Latif Mahmoud Amer as Minister of Petroleum; Gouda Abdel-Khaleq as Minister of Social Solidarity; Samir Youssef El-Sayyad as Minister of Trade and Industry; Ismail Ibrahim Fahmy as Minister of Manpower and Immigration; Mounir Fakhry Abdel-Nour as Minister of Tourism and Mohamed Abdel-Moniem El-Sawy as Minister of Culture.

Key portfolios of defence interior, foreign, finance and justice were unchanged in the reshuffle. – Agencies

http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/egypt/ten-ministers-deputy-pm-sworn-in.html

Egypt Cabinet reshuffle announced, criticized

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=28235

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone elses Facebook gone down? [Confused]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I'm still farming away. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hhmm just mine then. I was on then it went off, can't connect at all now and even restarted browser, nothing [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our net in general was wonky for a couple days during the sand storm and it tends to be slow the last couple days, but aside from that everything appears to be working.

Have you tried using a different browser?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:

When I went past the Mubarak Police Academy on the way to the airport on Monday, the name was still up there in English lettering, but the Arabic lettering had mostly been torn down and was in a heap at the bottom of the wall.

Should it be changed? I'm not particularly fond of Mubarak and his regime, but does that mean we change the name of everything that has his name. If you think yes, then why and if you think no, then also why?
We still have a lot of things carrying Nasser's name, Sadat's name and even the Khedevis' names. Think El-Esmayliya, Port Said, ,Sadat City, bank Nasser, lake Nasser.
Or is it because Mubarak was deposed by revolution while the others weren't. That might make sense actually, because whilst we have Port Fouad, we don't seem to have anything in Farouk's name!

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
The Ministry of Interior in Cairo is currently on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaM-urKMZdw

the comments below the clip is suggesting that the police are doing it to burn any evidence against them. May very well be the case!
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
No more Germany for Mubarak, not it's Saudi Arabia

القذافي من العشرة المبشرين بجدة
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Should it be changed? I'm not particularly fond of Mubarak and his regime, but does that mean we change the name of everything that has his name. If you think yes, then why and if you think no, then also why?
We still have a lot of things carrying Nasser's name, Sadat's name and even the Khedevis' names. Think El-Esmayliya, Port Said, ,Sadat City, bank Nasser, lake Nasser.
Or is it because Mubarak was deposed by revolution while the others weren't. That might make sense actually, because whilst we have Port Fouad, we don't seem to have anything in Farouk's name!

Gamal Abdel Nasser died penniless. Sadat's wife Jehan had to earn a living after her husband's death. The Mubaraks are worth billions they made at the expense of Egyptian people. Therein lies the difference.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Egyptian Man Names Daughter "Facebook"
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/press-here/Egyptian-Man-Names-Daughter-Facebook-116573633.html

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

بالفيديو والصور..عز والمغربي وجرانة بملابس السجن في قلب محكمة شمال القاهرة

http://dostor.org/crime/11/february/23/36852

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting of a minibus driver by a police officer today in Maadi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0WRDix6EOQ

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Good, people's reaction was exactly what every corrupt officer, civil worker of government official should expect now. People are not afraid to take matters in their own hands.
I was in a motor vehicle bureau after the revolution and the fear on many of the employees was great to see.
All one had to do is raise his/her voice and the entire office wondered if the building is about to be burned down. It was great.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the one week promise of Constitution revisions up?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a follow up on a police man (high up) who gave us a bit of stick (not literally, I'd like to point out) on January 25th, coincidentally enough.

When I was there, he sat in the middle of the coffee shop playing the big I am. Never picked up a tab of course. Now he hides himself away in the corner.

When the revolution was going on, our driver saw him in the supermarket. He said "Hi Pasha". Apparently his face was a picture "Sssshhh ssshhh ssshhh!!!".

Happy days [Smile]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

What I don't get is the emergency law. I thought it was a no brainer and that it would have the been first to go.
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QUOTE]What do you base this on?

Are you asking for a biography, or does it suffice to know one of the first Arabic words I learned was "hdrdk" because I heard it so often?
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I don't get is the emergency law. I thought it was a no brainer and that it would have the been first to go.

Suspended Constitution
Suspended Police Force
Temporary Government

There has to be something in place to determine what's legal and what's not.

I suspect the emergency law will stay in place until lots more is sorted out.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite possibly they are keeping it in enforce, to allow them to round up all these theiving corrupt officials and their counterpoints legally.

From Wiki:

Under state of emergency, the government has the right to imprison individuals for any period of time, and for virtually no reason, thus keeping them in prisons without trials for any period.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]What do you base this on?

Are you asking for a biography, or does it suffice to know one of the first Arabic words I learned was "hdrdk" because I heard it so often?
I don't understand what you mean and I have no clue what hdrdk means.
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
quote:

Suspended Constitution
Suspended Police Force
Temporary Government

There has to be something in place to determine what's legal and what's not.

I suspect the emergency law will stay in place until lots more is sorted out.

The police has not been suspended. I don't exactly know what happened to them and why their number have dwindled but they were not restricted in a way that prevent them from enforcing the current laws. Not to my knowledge anyway.

There are enough laws on the books to provide for security and justice. There's never a reason for draconian laws.
Canceling the emergency law will give a clear signal that justice will prevail in Egypt, not power.

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Quite possibly they are keeping it in enforce, to allow them to round up all these theiving corrupt officials and their counterpoints legally.

From Wiki:

Under state of emergency, the government has the right to imprison individuals for any period of time, and for virtually no reason, thus keeping them in prisons without trials for any period.

If they can not put together a case and support a charge under the existing laws, I would be happy to see them go free. "better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer".
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

تقدم عصر اليوم الخميس اللواء عادل لبيب محافظ الإسكندرية بإستقالته إلى المجلس الأعلى للقوات المسلحة وجاءت استقالة محافظ الإسكندرية بعد تعرضه لإعتداءات من قبل أهالى الإسكندرية لدرجة جعلته يغير مكان إقامته أكثر من مرة.

وجاءت المظاهرة التى اقامها أمس بعض الشباب أمام حى شرق بالمدينة بعد علمهم بتواجد المحافظ بداخله لتسيير أمور المحافظة لتعرض مبناها إلى الهدم نتيجة اشتعال النيران به خلال المظاهرات، الأمر الذى دفع موظفى الحى بضرورة رحيل المحافظ حرصاً على حياتهم بعد تهجم المواطنين على مبنى الحى والإشتباك مع المحافظ لولا تدخل حراسته وتهريبه وهى ليست المرة الأولى فسبق وأن هاجمه المواطنين فى مبنى مديرية الإسكان فى الأسبوع الماضى وقام موظفى المديرية بالإعتصام لحين رحيل المحافظ عن مبنى المديرية، وأنشئ شباب المدينة جروب يطالب بسقوط عادل لبيب على الموقع الإجتماعى الشهير (فيس بوك).

وقالت مصادر من داخل محافظة الإسكندرية بأن السكرتير العام للمحافظة خيرى حماد سيكون القائم بأعمال محافظ الإسكندرية لحين تعيين محافظ جديد.

The governor of Alexandria has tendered his resignation for fear for his safety after being attacked by Alexandrians that he had to change his place of residence more than once.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't the one week promise of Constitution revisions up?

I actually have been taking the previous day's NYtimes from a friends place and scouring the pages just to see if something was there that I hadn't read in the online version.

Sure enough nothing has been noted on the week revisions, not a word on the current state of the Constitution.

Its making me uneasy.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

They said 10 days not 1 week?
Last I heard, weeks hadn't gone decimal unlike the French revolution!
The constitution committee is meeting the army tomorrow:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/egypts-constitution-committee-meets-army-saturday

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/egypts-constitution-committee-meets-army-saturday

7 days for "constitutional amendment" committee discussion and 3 days to decide how to get started or put together a frame work on how the "amendments" will impact from here to the election in six months?

from article:

"An army source told Reuters that before the elections, the constitutional amendments would be the subject of a public debate followed by a referendum."

Just discussing how to get the public involved and how to get a referendum out and be voted on without the usual election debacle makes sense.

Breaking old habits and removing the "emergency law" policies in regards to funneling decision making one way could actually take six months.

its difficult to learn new tricks, even in six months.

I am think "checks and balances" would taken out of government policy for the last 30 years, putting them back in will take a gargantuan effort.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
I am just excited about the constitutional amendments.

Attempting to re-orchestrate how a government would function without an emergency law, to infuse "transparency" really works me over.

That has to be the blockage, undoing literally tens of thousands of procedures and policies to allow transparency. Thus the "check and balance" of the system has me literally dizzy to mull over.

Laura
Member # 879

quote:

Ah, yes. Thanks for correcting that Shanta. Mind in a muddle lately.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Reminder: the Army's official facebook page is here:

http://www.facebook.com/Egyptian.Armed.Forces?ref=nf

They keep posting updates but unfortunately as pictures so can't just copy and paste the words into google translate.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/10/does_egypt_need_a_new_constitution

That article details what part of the constitution was worked on.

.. In 10 days or even less the constitutional amendments committee formed by armed forces council from constitutional experts in Egypt should ...

http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/02/regarding-constitutional-amendments.html

The blog post mirrors pretty much the same articles of the constitution that were discussed.

Many newspapers I read in the USA stated 7 days.

Anyhow the blogspot post also has the names of all six who make up the committee:

Sixth here is the full list of the constitutional committee’s members :

* Tarek El-Bishry
* Dr. Atef El-Banaa : Professor of constitutional law , Cairo university , law school
* Hussanein Abdel Aal : Professor of constitutional law , Cairo university , member of the national human rights council and was chosen as a member in previous constitutional amendments committee formed by Omar Soliman.
* Dr. Mohamed Bahi Yonus : Professor of constitutional law, Alexandria university
* Judge Maher Sami Youssef : Deputy of the supreme constitutional court head , a Christian judge
* Judge Hassan El-Badrawy : Deputy of the supreme constitutional court head and minister of justice’s aide for the parliamentary affairs.
* Judge Hatem Bagato : The head of the commissioners’ committee at constitutional court “I hope that I translated it correctly”. He is considered from the fathers of Criminalizing FGM law in Egypt and he is the man who nullified the law no.100 to regulate the unions and syndications in Egypt in one of the biggest slaps to the regime before the revolution. Bagato is the sectary of this committee.
* Lawyer Sobhi Saleh : Former member of parliament from 2005 to 2010. He is from the Muslim brotherhood. An active member in the bar association and he lost in the last election in front of Abdel Salem Maghoub.

now there is quite a balance in there, a throw back to previous regime workovers of the constitution and a couple judges who pushed the regime down.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
As frustrating as it is, we should all remember that Egypt was under the Mubarak's regime for over 30 years. It will take time.

I am excitedly inpatient like many of you, but some patience would be helpful. The day will come when a new constitution will be in place, with freedom of expression, set presidential terms, free elections, and other rights. The day will come when Tantawi, Shafiq, Aboul Gheit and other remnants of the regime will be gone forever.

A new president will eventually replace the old guard in the military and in cabinet.

Let'a emphasize the difference between today and January 1, 2011.

Call a radio talk show and voice your grievance about government corruption and even name names. or even blog ANYTHING you wish with your real name.

February 25, 2011: Nothing will happen to you.

January 1, 2011:Expect a knock on your door at around 3 or 4am.

Laura
Member # 879

(you forgot to add: and eveyone in your immediate family and extended family, and some of your friends too.) [Wink]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:

(you forgot to add: and eveyone in your immediate family and extended family, and some of your friends too.) [Wink]

The poor Bowab too. [Big Grin]
Laura
Member # 879

Better a resignation than being thrown out I guess. Here is list of the rest of them going soon. Anyone missing from the list, or did they cover it well?

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/6402/Egypt/Politics-/Many-governors-to-be-replaced,-says-Shafik.aspx

Informed sources told Ahram Online that they expect at least half of the country’s governors will be replaced, including Fathy Saad, the governor of 6th October city, Seif El Din Galal, governor of Suez, Abdel Fadeel Shousha, governor of South of Sinai, Ali Hussein, governor of Qalyoubia, Adel Labib, governor of Alexandria, Mustafa Abdel Latif, governor of Port Said, Abdel Gleel Fakharani, governor of Ismalia, Mustafa El Sayed, governor of Aswan and Ahmed Zaki Abdeen, governor of Kafr El Sheikh
quote:
تقدم عصر اليوم الخميس اللواء عادل لبيب محافظ الإسكندرية بإستقالته إلى المجلس الأعلى للقوات المسلحة وجاءت استقالة محافظ الإسكندرية بعد تعرضه لإعتداءات من قبل أهالى الإسكندرية لدرجة جعلته يغير مكان إقامته أكثر من مرة.

وجاءت المظاهرة التى اقامها أمس بعض الشباب أمام حى شرق بالمدينة بعد علمهم بتواجد المحافظ بداخله لتسيير أمور المحافظة لتعرض مبناها إلى الهدم نتيجة اشتعال النيران به خلال المظاهرات، الأمر الذى دفع موظفى الحى بضرورة رحيل المحافظ حرصاً على حياتهم بعد تهجم المواطنين على مبنى الحى والإشتباك مع المحافظ لولا تدخل حراسته وتهريبه وهى ليست المرة الأولى فسبق وأن هاجمه المواطنين فى مبنى مديرية الإسكان فى الأسبوع الماضى وقام موظفى المديرية بالإعتصام لحين رحيل المحافظ عن مبنى المديرية، وأنشئ شباب المدينة جروب يطالب بسقوط عادل لبيب على الموقع الإجتماعى الشهير (فيس بوك).

وقالت مصادر من داخل محافظة الإسكندرية بأن السكرتير العام للمحافظة خيرى حماد سيكون القائم بأعمال محافظ الإسكندرية لحين تعيين محافظ جديد.

The governor of Alexandria has tendered his resignation for fear for his safety after being attacked by Alexandrians that he had to change his place of residence more than once.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Better a resignation than being thrown out I guess. Here is list of the rest of them going soon. Anyone missing from the list, or did they cover it well?

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/6402/Egypt/Politics-/Many-governors-to-be-replaced,-says-Shafik.aspx

Informed sources told Ahram Online that they expect at least half of the country’s governors will be replaced, including Fathy Saad, the governor of 6th October city, Seif El Din Galal, governor of Suez, Abdel Fadeel Shousha, governor of South of Sinai, Ali Hussein, governor of Qalyoubia, Adel Labib, governor of Alexandria, Mustafa Abdel Latif, governor of Port Said, Abdel Gleel Fakharani, governor of Ismalia, Mustafa El Sayed, governor of Aswan and Ahmed Zaki Abdeen, governor of Kafr El Sheikh
quote:

I counted 8, so there are 21 more governors that need to be replaced. They didn't include biggies such as Cairo, Giza, Minya, Dakhilia, Sohag, Monifya, etc. It will be interesting to see who they replace them with, and it could turn out to be a good transitional move, and just that transistional. Ultimately the people of the governorates should vote in the governors of their choice. This shouldn't be decided by the President or PM.
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com