EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How to deal with sexual harassment (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: How to deal with sexual harassment
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The taxi driver asked me for sex this morning... I told him I spoke no Arabic. As I handed the cash over to him for the journey he stroked my hand... so I swore at him in fluent low class Arabic and slammed the door [Big Grin] He did look mortified.

Stroked and approached... not bad for a mornings work.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Interview: Police turned me away after sexual assault

CAIRO: Reem is a 21-year-old Egyptian woman who recently graduated from university and is looking forward to the future. A degree in hand, she is readying herself for success. But like the vast majority of women in Egypt, she was the victim of a sexual assault that took place in Egypt’s many public spaces: on the bus.

She told Bikya Masr the story of the incident, and more shockingly, what the police did – rather did not do – in response.

BM: What happened, Reem?

Reem: It was Saturday. I took the bus and I was asleep when I felt something moving on my shoulder. When I woke up, I found out that it was the hand of the guy sitting on the chair behind me! I thought I was mistaken but I stayed awake. Then he did it again!

BM: How did that make you feel?

Reem: I was so mad! I remembered all the other times when something like this happened to me and I felt responsible. I told myself I should not shut up and I had to be more positive about it.

BM: What did you do?

Reem: I went to the driver and asked him if there was a police station on our way. He asked me why and I told him what had happened.

BM: What did he do?

Reem: He stopped the bus. And went to that guy and started yelling at him. At first he denied it, and then he said he had done it by mistake!

Then the driver told the traffic officer what had happened, and he gave that “look.”

BM: What do you mean by that “look”?

Reem: “Oh yeah, she’s one of those!” like I’m a kind of freak who is just acting crazy.

Then we, in the bus, stayed waiting for the police to come. It took them a few minutes to come and through these few minutes, people in the bus started saying the worst things.

BM: Like what?

Reem: There was one man who kept telling him not to apologize because then he would prove he had done something wrong!

Another kept giving different comments. Some of them were making fun of me, others were mad cause they were in a hurry, and some actually tried to get the idea of going to the police out of my mind!

BM: Then what happened at the police station?

Reem: The police officer asked me to tell him the story and I did.

His facial expressions, the look on his eyes, his body language were all sending all these negative signals. He made me feel like I was in a schoolyard after a kids fight! Then he told me it was a “minor” thing that didn’t require all that [attention]!

BM: You mean he didn’t show care?

Reem: Not only that, he made me feel scared! For the first time in that whole day I felt scared when I was at the police station. All during the events, both knowing that I was defending my rights and that I was heading to the police made me feel strong and stable. But after talking with the police officer, I started shaking inside, I kind of lost my confidence and felt I had nowhere to go!

BM: What do you think he meant by ‘minor’ incident?

Reem: What I understood from him is that touching is no big deal. So I asked him if I was supposed to wait till he raped me then come to the police, but by then I was being dealt with as a crazy child.

BM: Then what happened?

Reem: In the police station I was told that I would go nowhere with this; that if I insisted on filing a complaint I would be heading myself into a long police hassle that me – as a girl – couldn’t go through, and that during the procedures the guy who attacked me could easily counter-accuse me and I could end up being blamed for what happened!

They told me they would keep him for the night in prison to teach him a lesson and that that should be enough!

BM: So you didn’t file a complaint?

Reem: No

BM: And now, how do you look at the whole thing?

I just want to ask one question: where do I go if this is how I am treated at the police station? I of course blame the guy who attacked me and the people in the bus who not only did nothing, but tried to put the blame on me for refusing to accept this, but on top of all this, I am angry and hurt from how I was treated at the police station. Isn’t this the place where I am supposed to feel safe?

And next time if someone attacks me, I don’t want anyone to question me if I take his life with a knife! Yes! I will not accept being assaulted anymore, and if the police are not willing to protect me, then I’ll do anything to protect myself!

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=12410

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Struggling with Sexual Harassment by Egyptian Men

Ironically, before I went outside today, I was determined to write another 'Things I've Learned..." post about the dangers of all/none statements that can lead to prejudice. I wanted to reflect on 2 young, Egyptian men I'd met at AUC and their struggles with love in a Muslim country. One had spent his life in boarding schools and is now agnostic and the other is a Christian who had grown up in Bahrain. Both were well traveled, sweet, sensitive, and complete gentlemen with heartbreaking love stories. I wanted to highlight their stories as a breath of fresh air to contrast the negative way I've discussed my interactions with Egyptian men. I have been struggling with my own growing aversion to Egyptian men and trying not to assume they were all walking monuments to depravity. Therefore, the post was going to be a reminder to myself that one can never generalize all or none of any group. Then I went outside and met the average Egyptian men and now that other post AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...

I threw on my usual Cairo uniform of wrinkled t-shirt and jeans to go grocery shopping today. As I walked back from the fruit stand 2 blocks from my apartment, I noticed two teenage boys following me. One kept walking behind me and trying to whisper perversion into my ear. When that failed, he walked a couple paces ahead of me and kept looking back while the other walked behind me. In no mood to be bothered, I tried my usual techniques for avoiding street harassers 1) I slowed down and 2) walked over to a cop. The guys walked off quickly so I took the oppurtunity to cross the street and continue home. Out of nowhere, the 2 crossed over to me and began making lewd gestures. Nearing my apartment, 3) I walked into a store and pretended to admire scarves s that they wouldn't know where I live. Usually, most men would get bored and walk off by then but these 2 lingered outside.

I was running out of patience with them so I walked outside again , quickening my step. When one approached me and tried to reach for me, 4) I yelled loudly in English and flayed my arms for him to go away. He was momentarily surprised and confused so I hurried to my apartment building. To my dismay, he tried to follow me into the building! At this point, I flipped out, cursed him out, and shoved him back out the door. He had the nerve to raise his hand as if to slap me! Prepared to murder him in broad daylight if he dared, I stared him down until he lowered his arm and walked back outside.

Quite frankly, I find it hard not to completely despise Egyptian men right now. The constant sexual harassment, disrespect, and lack of regard for a woman's most basic right to walk from Point A to Point B in peace is disgusting. Unlike in other countries where a man will occasionally pull up in his car and flirt, someone will gawk at you or try to touch your hair, or a woman will have to endure a few amusing marriage proposals, harrasment in Egypt is ceaseless, viscous, and psychologically draining. In a report by Reuters, 2/3 of Egyptian men admited to sexually harassing men. The forms of harassment reported by Egyptian men include touching or ogling women, shouting sexually explicit remarks, and exposing their genitals to women. Contrary to popular belief, this BBC interview highlights that it has nothing to do with what a woman is wearing. Even women in full burqas and niqabs are sexually harassed. In my observation, harassment seems to be a means of inflicting discomfort in order to assert some form of power over a woman. The many shiftless,unemployed and sexually repressed young men are bothered by seeing most women moving about in public with a purpose to their step and money in their pockets. Harrasment is a way to ensure that a woman "knows her proper place" in society.

Reuter also said that 83 percent of Egyptian women reported having been sexually harassed. Nearly half of women said the abuse occurred daily. 98 percent of foreign women saying they had experienced harassment in the country...The survey said most of the Egyptian women who told of being harassed said they were dressed conservatively, with the majority wearing the Islamic headscarf. The Egyptian government has half-heartedly tried to adress this widespread issue but nothing concrete has come out of their efforts.The harassment is to the degree that, the one time I went outside and no one was in the street to sexually harass me, I was genuinely taken aback! My roommates and I almost ran outside and played and skipped in the street with joy! None of us could figure out what was going on. It was right after Passover and Easter...Had God struck down all the first born sons again?! The next day, my instructor informed me that the day before was Sham El-Nisem and most Egyptians were at the park with their families.

While sexual harrasment seems harmless on the outside, it leads to a break down of the moral fabric of society. It's a bit hypocritical to impose a way of dress on women based on Islamic views of modesty when men whip out their penises to the first blonde that walks by. The objectification of women in public is also perpetuated by the next generation of young boys. I've seen boys as young as 10 make perverted grinding motions to women walking by (gee, I wonder where they learned that?!) and call them things that no little boy should ever repeat. Furthermore, what begins as lewd gestures can quickly turn into violence against women. Most importantly, it serves to further silence women in the Middle East and push them back into the shadows. Although, there are arbitrary penalties for harrasment, only 2.6 percent of women report it to the police. In actuality, sometimes it's the police doing the harassing, making it difficult to find someone to speak to. Once, a woman does report harassment, she must then endure a long legal process in the slight hopes that something is actually done.

I've found myself completely avoiding lower-class Egyptian men. There is an internal debate going on inside me where one side continues to warn me against the dangers of blanket generalization and stereotyping groups and the other side bluntly points out that I get sexually harassed, have lewd and/or racist comments and gestures made towards me, or someone tries to touch me inappropriately everyday and if I'm not on guard, I may get seriously hurt one day. Thus, my survival instincts are winning out at this point and I view all Egyptian men in the street with suspicion and disgust. I'm determined to be a part of that 2.6% that reports each and every pervert from now on even if nothing comes out of it. Sexual harrasment in Egypt goes beyond just an annoyance, it's a violation of your most basic rights, personal space and safety.

http://blackincairo.blogspot.com/2010/04/struggling-with-sexual-harassment-by.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I can fully relate to everything she writes.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, the 'average Egyptian man', you just can't help but hate them.

The taxi driver asked me for sex yesterday all the way from Maadi to Zamalek.

NONSTOP all the way and before each disgusting sentence he would say 'sorry, but he just loved sex gedan gedan gedan.'

At first I totally ignored him, then I let him have it in Arabic and that still didn't stop him. Asked him if he would like to continue the same conversation with his mother, but he told me she was dead.

If it wasn't for the jammed traffic and stifling heat, I think I would have hurt him and then jumped out and hailed another taxi. Apart from the violation/disrespect factors, what makes a destitute, nylon sweater/sheb sheb wearing, brown teeth felaheen think he can speak to a woman like that, let alone expect her to drop her knickers and let him have it ???????????

The only thing that shut him up was for me to stay on my mobile for the rest of the trip, making nonstop calls and chatting with friends until I reached home. Then I had him drop me off a few streets away from my apartment as I didn't want him to know which building I lived in. Then for the next half an hour, I played cat and mouse with him in the back streets as he kept following me. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I won't even go into details of one late night taxi ride to Maadi, suspicious but unbelieving that the driving was doing what I think he was doing as he was driving with one hand and jiggling around. Suspicion was confirmed when he slammed on the brakes in the middle of the Corniche screaming 'MILK MILK MILK'. Ughhhhhhhhhh just gross.

I have an Egyptian female friend who drives everywhere. Recently she has opted to catch cabs for short trips to cut out the hassle of parking. That didn't last long ! She asked me what my experiences with taxi drivers were. I told her and she was absolutely shocked. She had come across the same thing and couldn't believe it as she is over 60 and would never imagine some street zift asking her for sex in a cab.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Why didn't you just get out of the taxi?

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a closed space with such a pervert, I would have jumped out without paying. Maybe even taken his taxi ID and reported him to the police.

Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, you are so right. But it was just soooooooo hot and the traffic was not going anywhere. I was in a really bad mood, and if I did get out, the only other option was to stand forever in the baking hot sun for god knows how long for another taxi that was not taken and be ogled the whole time.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
OT ... I much prefer the Metro to a taxi when going from Maadi to Zamalek (or downtown, Mohandesseen etc.) It's much faster and you avoid getting stuck in traffic jams etc.

No harassment either if you take the women's car. Only curious looks from the other ladies. [Wink]

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't tried it myself but a friend who had boyfriend here and spend long months in Cairo sometimes, staying downtown, said she always asked them play the Koran cassette or prayers cassette or something that every Muslim driver supposedly has, because it would be something like a sin if they did not obey.
That then cuts any unnecessary conversation [Smile]

Interestingly I've never had any harrassment and only positive ex with drivers but maybe because I move around in Cairo so seldom, and then I select my drivers by "gut feeling", meaning that if I do not like the face or the conversation manner, then I simply do not take it. And I seem to prefer and also "get" older, fatherly or grandfatherly types [Smile] .

While (about the blog post) adolescent young men... aren´t these with their "manners" a headache everywhere in the world, maybe just that in Egypt you have greater quantities of them [Smile] .

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I jump in any old jalopy and I just don't make eye contact or engage in conversation. I put my ipod on if they start yabbering. It may appear rude but it works.

One of my friends makes fake phone calls but one of these days the phone will ring lol...

The best advice I have ever had of an American guy who has been here 20+ years is - if you ever feel threatened or harassed tell him you have his taxi number and get yer camera phone out to snap him. They fear folk knowing they are scum.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I jump in any old jalopy and I just don't make eye contact or engage in conversation. I put my ipod on if they start yabbering. It may appear rude but it works.

One of my friends makes fake phone calls but one of these days the phone will ring lol...

The best advice I have ever had of an American guy who has been here 20+ years is - if you ever feel threatened or harassed tell him you have his taxi number and get yer camera phone out to snap him. They fear folk knowing they are scum.

I meant to add, if they do say inappropriate things just react! They don't expect you too. The couple of occasions they have stepped over the line I make a right scene [Big Grin]

One girl a few weeks back as a newbie made the fatal mistake of sitting in the frontof a taxi, he stroked her leg so she beat him round the head lol... she said he soon stopped to let her out.

I don't advocate violence but hey... !!!

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting in the front of a taxi is like asking for sex in EG [Eek!]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yeah, she had only been in town a few days, went straight into a new job that provided transport and I guess she was on the naive list...
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to say I don't understand why people do that here Penny.

I don't know anyone at all who would dream of sitting in the front of a taxi in the UK unless there were 4 passengers and that was the only free seat! Why do it here?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

Interestingly I've never had any harrassment and only positive ex with drivers but maybe because I move around in Cairo so seldom, and then I select my drivers by "gut feeling", meaning that if I do not like the face or the conversation manner, then I simply do not take it.

I have moved in and around Cairo in taxis a lot for years and have very few experiences of harassment. Given the fact that I complain about the harassment a lot and get irritated easily, I think that's a good thing. [Smile]

I had a few drivers trying to get my phone number, or to flirt with me, or getting too personal in a conversation, but I have never been touched, abducted, experienced a masturbating driver or anything of that kind. I had some very unpleasant experiences with drivers, but those were always about money, not about sexual harassment of any kind. I had a driver trying to follow me up to my apartment because he wasn't happy with what I payed. I had another one following me across a crowded bridge and trying to rip my clothes, arguments about not having change for a 50 LE note when the fare is something like 12 LE, and it's 4 a.m., no store open to get some change ... stuff like that. But no explicit sexual harassment.

Usually, I get in the taxi, say "assalaum alaykum" and make a few short remarks about the weather, the destination, the traffic or whatever. [Big Grin] Although my Arabic is not that great, I can communicate about those things well and with very little accent. So the driver is immediately aware of the fact that I'm not a tourist or khawageya who doesn't know her way around. That means, he will only try the things he will try with Egyptians too and not give me the special tourist treatment or ask me out or anything like that.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

I don't know anyone at all who would dream of sitting in the front of a taxi in the UK unless there were 4 passengers and that was the only free seat! Why do it here?

In Germany, for example, it is normal to sit in the front, for men and women alike.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Sitting in the front of a taxi is like asking for sex in EG [Eek!]

Yes, but there are exceptions. If there is heavy traffic and taxis are taking up several passenges, for example.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That probably helps Dalia.

I give directions in Arabic and usually have a little bit of a chat in Arabic - it's usually 'where you from' 'do you work' 'do you like it here' 'why do you like it here' 'are you married' (not in an unpleasant way) so I've invented husbands from several different countries now and explained where they're working and talked about them and to the inevitable question about babies I do my downcast frowny faced 'hamdulilah' that stops that conversation [Wink]

I did get scared one night when the taxi went off down a new unused road and there was noone around - I called one of my friends in a panic and he spoke to the driver who had got lost - taken a turning off the road too soon and he told my friend that he knew I was scared but didn't know how to explain to me that he was lost.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I ALWAYS have change... I have a 'taxi pot' full of 5s and 10s. One less bother.

I am in and out of taxis all day and every day and I even drop the small talk now. I tell them where I want to go. If they ask me how much I walk away and get one who doesn't ask! I don't even engage it that kinda chat.

They can argue all they like, I pay after I have gotten out and I walk off. They never chase me to beg for money I don't owe them lol.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:

Usually, I get in the taxi, say "assalaum alaykum" and make a few short remarks about the weather, the destination, the traffic or whatever. [Big Grin] [/QB]

I would agree this is the best formula for avoiding harrassment, I have never had any problems with taxi drivers, the majority have been courteous and helpful.

I do sit in the front with drivers when I make the usual trip from Cairo to Alex but then we use the same company and ask for the driver we know if possible. I feel safe to sleep and know these are the sort of guys that would die rather than commit anything embarrasing.

ES does give an unbalanced view so often but thats not to say problems do occur but on the whole they are easily avoided.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I ALWAYS have change... I have a 'taxi pot' full of 5s and 10s. One less bother.

I am in and out of taxis all day and every day and I even drop the small talk now. I tell them where I want to go. If they ask me how much I walk away and get one who doesn't ask! I don't even engage it that kinda chat.

They can argue all they like, I pay after I have gotten out and I walk off. They never chase me to beg for money I don't owe them lol.

I get taxis in Alex and like you I never ask the price, and then when we get there they say pay me what you want..... that one makes me laugh every time!
bearings-sellor
Member # 17965

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bearings-sellor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beijing JiaNengyuan International Trading Co., Ltd .http://www.jnyzc.com We supply bearings FAG NSK TIMKEN Bearings NTN KOYO INA and all kinds of tires including wind ,wind power, TBR, LTR, PCR, OTR etc. We have our brand "FEN RIVER" well developed and exported for years contact: kaiyang_000(at)yahoo.cn [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 17 | From: Beijing JiaNengyuan International Trading Co.,Ltd | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sexual harassment in Egypt: Why men blame women

By Justin D. Martin / August 18, 2010

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/0818/Sexual-harassment-in-Egypt-Why-men-blame-women

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Women in Egypt get hi-tech aid to beat sexual harassment

HarassMap allows women to instantly report incidents of sexual harassment by sending a text message to a centralised computer

by Jack Shenker in Cairo guardian.co.uk, Sunday 19 September 2010 18.08 BST

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/19/women-egypt-sexual-harassment-harassmap

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:

Challenging Sexual Harassment on Cairo’s Streets

CAIRO: A new project aimed at combating sexual harassment on the streets of Cairo will soon be launched. The project, called HarassMap, aims to create a map of the ‘hotspots’ of harassment in Cairo – that is, the places where harassment most frequently occurs.

The interactive project will rely on the public’s participation. A unique mapping technology will use information sent by SMS to HarrassMap’s number to plot the locations where women are harassed. Women who send an SMS to HarrassMap will then receive a response including where the women can receive help, ranging from legal aid to psychological support.

According to co-founder Rebecca Chiao, mapping Cairo’s hotspots is only the first step toward the group’s goal “to change the social acceptability of sexual harassment.”

Once hotspots are identified, HarrassMap will go in groups of volunteers to speak with the community, particularly shop owners.

“Our message is that sexual harassment at these levels, with no consequences or support for women, is against Egyptian values, traditions, religions, everything. We’ve tolerated it and stayed silent for too long and now it has grown out of control,” Chiao told Bikya Masr.

“And it is only us, the community, that can stop it. So shop owners can change their neighborhoods by pledging to stop harassers when they see them, and they can put a sticker in their window to make their store a safe zone for women.”

Engy Ghozlan, one of the women working with Chiao on the program, echoed Chiao’s sentiments.

“We are hoping that this map would create a sense of the problem and community ownership,” she told Bikya Masr, and they’re “making the best out of the current social media tools at hand” to get the job done.

With Egypt’s mobile phone network containing some 55 million users, the potential for HarrassMap is huge. It is this potential the group hopes to tap into. Most NGOs dealing with women’s issues in Egypt focus on advocacy, said Chiao. HarrassMap wants to compliment the work of the NGOs by bringing the issue back to the public. “The other projects focus on changing the legal system,” she said. “We want to support them, but also focus on changing what’s happening in the street.”

HarrassMap’s goal – “to reach a level of community support for stopping harassment, so that the environment will no longer tolerate harassers” – may seem lofty to some, particularly to the women who face verbal or physical harassment daily on the streets of Cairo. Yet it is also a much needed change.

Perhaps going to the daily cause and effect of harassment will be more effective on some levels than lobbying to change legislation. It is the underlying social situation that HarrassMap ultimately wants to change.

“We want men to tell other men that [harassment] is not ok; women to tell other women it’s not their fault… and the public in general to start speaking up and interfering when they see it happen,” said Chiao.

“Egypt deserves better,” said Ghozlan. “We can’t stay in silence while our home is contaminated by new trends of immoral values that are certainly weird and new to the Egyptian society.

“Egyptians were always known by being there for each other and it’s that sense of social responsibility that we are trying to bring back.”

BM

youknowit
Member # 17878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for youknowit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tigerweedbitchboreslut would kill for any action
she would love harassment to save her cyberslutting for men online. see why she is desperate to get back to egypt?and she has kids? shame shame shame for them [Mad]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
http://insidethemiddleeast.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/01/why-is-sexual-harassment-in-egypt-so-rampant/
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'Morning! if u experienced sexual harassment today on your way to work, school or university, report the incident on

http://harassmap.org/

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:

Why is sexual harassment in Egypt so rampant?

Cairo, Egypt (CNN) – Young, old, foreign, Egyptian, poor, middleclass, or wealthy, it doesn't matter. Dressed in hijab, niqab, or western wear, it doesn't matter.

If you are a woman living in Cairo, chances are you have been sexually harassed. It happens on the streets, on crowded buses, in the workplace, in schools, and even in a doctor's office.

According to a 2008 survey of 1,010 women conducted by the Egyptian Center for Women's rights, 98 percent of foreign women and 83 percent of Egyptian women have been sexually harassed.

I know, it has happened to me. Last week, I was walking home from dinner when a carload of young men raced by me and screamed out "Sharmouta" (whore in Arabic.)

Before I could respond, they were gone, but I noticed policemen nearby bursting with laughter. I am old enough to be those boys' mother, I thought.

This incident was minor compared to what happened in 1994, shortly after I moved here. It was winter, and I was walking home from the office, dressed in a big, baggy sweater, and jacket. A man walked up to me, reached out, and casually grabbed my breast.

In a flash, I understood what the expression to "see red" meant. I grabbed him by the collar and punched him hard in the face. I held on to him, and let out a stream of expletives. His face grew pale, and he started to shake. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he whispered.

But the satisfaction of striking back quickly dissipated. By the time I walked away, I was feeling dirty and humiliated. After a couple of years enduring this kind harassment, I pretty much stopped walking to and from work.

Of course, harassment comes in many forms. It can be nasty words, groping, being followed or stalked, lewd, lascivious looks, and indecent exposure.

At times it can be dangerous. This is what a friend told me happened to her: "I remember I was walking on the street, when a car came hurtling towards me. Aiming for me! At the last minute he swerved, then stopped, and finally laughed at me. I learned later that it was a form of flirting."

Why is sexual harassment in Egypt so rampant? There could be any number of reasons, but many point to disregard for human rights.

"Egypt is more interested in political security, than public security," said Nehad Abu el Komsan, the Director for the Center for Women's Rights. She says that often means officials focus more on preventing political unrest than addressing social ills.

Some also blame the spread of more conservative interpretations of Islam from the Gulf over the past 30 years. They say such interpretations demand more restrictive roles for women and condemn women who step outside of those prescribed roles.

"Four million Egyptians went to the Gulf," el Komsan says. "They returned with oil money, and oil culture, which is not very open, related to the status of women. All of this changed the original culture of the Egyptian," she adds, "which included high respect for women.”

"The concept of respect for some reason doesn't exist anymore," says Sara, a young Egyptian activist. "I think Egypt has lived a very long time in denial. Something happened in Egyptian society in the last 30 or 40 years. It feels like the whole social diagram has collapsed."

What is being done to raise awareness and combat Sexual harassment? Currently Egypt has no law that specifically deals with the problem, but that could change. The government is drafting legislation that would give a clear definition for sexual harassment.

In the past, women who have been sexually harassed here have been too afraid or ashamed to speak up. That too is changing slowly. In 2008, in a landmark court case, a man was sentenced to three years of hard labor for grabbing the breast of Noha Rushdi Saleh, a brave woman determined to seek justice.

The trial was covered extensively in the Egyptian press, and brought the problem of sexual harassment out in the open.

The latest campaign to combat sexual harassment is a joint Egyptian and American website called Harassmap, due to go online in December.

Rebecca Chiao, co-founder of Harassmap explains how it will work: " We can receive reports by SMS, by Twitter, by e-mail, or by phone. When an incident happens, they will send us their location. The computer will receive this, and we will look at the reports coming in and map them on a Google map of Egypt. It will show the hotspots. When the hotspots emerge, we have planned community outreach that will occur around these hotspots.”

Downtown Cairo is one of these hotspots. In 2008, during the Eid holiday, which marks the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, gangs of young men went on a rampage, groping women and, in some cases, ripping off womens' shirts.

This incident also got a lot of attention in the media here. Police arrested dozens of men. With the renewed efforts to raise awareness about the issue, and the government's move toward putting a new law in place, there is hope that women will be able to feel safer on the streets.

But the only real protection women can have is when the attitudes of men change.

http://insidethemiddleeast.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/01/why-is-sexual-harassment-in-egypt-so-rampant/

moshimo
Member # 18315

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moshimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have very available stock of WOW Gold on most of the servers and we can deliver your WOW Power Leveling on the order in a short while. That is the most easy and fast way to buy
cheap Aion Gold in the world. Our goal is at the lowest prices and best service for the Aion Gold players. We seek for a safe transaction, the lowest price, and the fastest, not the profit-maximization. We are very pleased to Buy WOW Gold various services for the players as long as we can.

Posts: 3 | From: china | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt reports massive sexual harassment during holiday

Nov 23rd, 2010 | By Joseph Mayton

CAIRO: Egyptian police stations reported at least 600 incidents of sexual harassment during the first day of the Eid al-Adha holiday last week. Police stations in Cairo, Giza, Helwan and Alexandria reported that as a result of streets being filled with young boys in celebration, there “were incidents of mass sexual harassment.”

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=21372

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Committing a blood bath and attacking women in public – what a wonderful way to celebrate your faith! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Committing a blood bath and attacking women in public – what a wonderful way to celebrate your faith! [Roll Eyes]

LOL... Thats what makes the country so interesting! Like it, Live it, Love it!
Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Egypt teenager attempts to kill herself after being harassed

Jul 6th, 2011 | By Bikya Masr Staff | Category: Egypt, Sexual Harassment

CAIRO: A 15-year-old girl jumped out of her second floor apartment in Marsa Matroh on Egypt’s northwest coast after she was sexually harassed by the son of the building’s owner, Egypt’s state-run MENA news agency reported on Monday.

Mai M., a student, arrived at a local hospital suffering from a fracture to her skull and internal bleeding. She is currently in intensive care.

The girl was heading to her family’s apartment when the son of the building owner, 41, tried to forcibly kiss her and groped her, her father reported to police. She reached her apartment in a poor state and threw herself off the balcony, the family reported.

Press reported that police officials are looking for the accused man for questioning.

The family had been vacationing in the building for the summer....

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=35511

[Frown]

IrmaHolland
Member # 19257

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrmaHolland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learn the women to protect themself, defend themself and just give a whack back. Men have to learn they can not use women.
All women have to tell the the young children. Again and again to boys and girls

--------------------
Irma

Posts: 2 | From: Haarlem | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Egypt needs to do is move all the Egyptian women between the ages of 13 and 40 over to the UK and Germany to live out their existence in peace.

In turn take the UK and German women over the age of 50 to repopulate the female section of Egypt.

It will reduce sexual harassment and put the Egyptian men to work.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
What Egypt needs to do is move all the Egyptian women between the ages of 13 and 40 over to the UK and Germany to live out their existence in peace.

In turn take the UK and German women over the age of 50 to repopulate the female section of Egypt.

[Confused] [Confused]

Seriously, see a doctor, soon.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

[Confused] [Confused]

is there any black market prozac you can acquire in Luxor?

Hows the tourism industry going when your boss has one flat rented and the rest are empty?

doesn't look like you can stay afloat when you've only booked one flat this week, month....

Not that I feel sorry for you or akshar that your only means of livelihood has gone up in the ashes of the revolution.

I consider it a good thing! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is green Sono again.

you know the one with no career, no daughter, no future, no house and now it looks like no meds. Call 911 Sono and get the men in white coats, they do home visits and you could sure use them

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

[Confused] [Confused]

is there any black market prozac you can acquire in Luxor?
OTC, you want me to send you some?

quote:
Hows the tourism industry going when your boss has one flat rented and the rest are empty?
my boss? oh do tell, who do I work for now? Ahh, got it still on me working for Jane [Big Grin]

Jane, I want paying [Razz]

quote:
doesn't look like you can stay afloat when you've only booked one flat this week, month....
I'm doing fine, tourism doesn't affect my work in the slightest [Wink]

quote:
Not that I feel sorry for you or akshar that your only means of livelihood has gone up in the ashes of the revolution.

I consider it a good thing! [Big Grin]

You couldn't be far wrong, my means of income are among you [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sono there is a simple analytic about how well my business is doing. How much Marmite have I got in my cupboard. Fully stocked at the moment so that must mean I am getting enough guests to keep me in Marmite.

And on that note I would remind you Ayisha I gave you a half full jar, so that means I HAVE paid you for this year.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Sono there is a simple analytic about how well my business is doing. How much Marmite have I got in my cupboard. Fully stocked at the moment so that must mean I am getting enough guests to keep me in Marmite.

And on that note I would remind you Ayisha I gave you a half full jar, so that means I HAVE paid you for this year.

but it's all gone now [Frown]
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
<like>

--------------------

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
Egypt teenager attempts to kill herself after being harassed

Jul 6th, 2011 | By Bikya Masr Staff | Category: Egypt, Sexual Harassment

CAIRO: A 15-year-old girl jumped out of her second floor apartment in Marsa Matroh on Egypt’s northwest coast after she was sexually harassed by the son of the building’s owner, Egypt’s state-run MENA news agency reported on Monday.

Mai M., a student, arrived at a local hospital suffering from a fracture to her skull and internal bleeding. She is currently in intensive care.

The girl was heading to her family’s apartment when the son of the building owner, 41, tried to forcibly kiss her and groped her, her father reported to police. She reached her apartment in a poor state and threw herself off the balcony, the family reported.

Press reported that police officials are looking for the accused man for questioning.

The family had been vacationing in the building for the summer....

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=35511

[Frown]

That website is bullshit.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com