EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How to deal with sexual harassment (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: How to deal with sexual harassment
Egyptian Man
Member # 13646

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harankash:
if there are Egyptian men out there who think that whistling, commenting, winking, flirting, think in any way that they are being 'seductive' to a female they are SO wrong!

Especially of the Egyptian type.

Yes you may hit lucky on few in the resorts, or our european friends out looking specifically for that type of entertainment but you wont find any 'decent' woman offer you anything but contempt.

I think Egyguy that if you are getting favourable reactions to your seduction techniques then your obviously pleased with your results, but please dont think for one second that any woman who has any dignity will entertain you for a second.

I don't understand why you're using me for an example here!
Anyway, point I'm trying to make is that it's all about the approach. No woman refuses some attention.
Maybe next time it happens you can give some tips to the boys. You know Dos and Don'ts. Help them become better persons. It's a skill you know.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my tip for you would be organise a night in with your mother and sister and aunts.

Have tea and biscuits and then demonstrate with a flip chart, or use some U tube videos, tape your friends your seducation techniques.
Tell them that you want THEIR opinion, NOT ours.
Ask them what the young Egyptian man about town should be doing these days to attract the opposite sex and what works best for them or worked best when they were young.
Ask them what language they prefer. Ask them what clothes you like the women to wear and ask for tips on how you better you can seduce women in the street or mall.

Ask your mother to then discuss with your father and other family males how to bring young men up with some respect and dignity and how they go about chosing prospective husbands for your sisters and cousins.

When you come back with that homework completed we can be of more assistance to you.

Hey try Akhbar Elyoum, you will get some great advice but target the local girls as they were the ones who found it attractive and appealing, the western ones were thoroughly disgusted.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure that you girls are finding it annoying, and thats a shame, but I still stand firm that it happens EVERYWHERE, I used to walk the streets with a pushchair and EVERY day without fail, there would be a comment, whistle, beep of car, whatever, that is just men. It actually didnt offend me, I've had worse as i've said, I remember a man even phoning me at work asking if i wanted to do 'shoe modelling'???!!!!, annonymous valentine cards just put through the door addressed with a description of me (stalking????!!!!). Some men just do this, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with segregation, Men in the UK are not segregated and as I have explained, much worse happens, and it happens often.

There are women going to Egypt on holiday, for 'girls' holidays, working in bars, going nightclubbing, sunbathing on beaches, meeting men etc etc. Why are they going if they are getting so much 'unwanted attention'

You know, MANY women actually like the attention and react in exactly the same way the woman did in the video clip, is this not giving men mixed messages? Maybe he figures if he tries it on with 10 girls one of them might respond ok?

I'm not saying its right or trying to belittle peoples experiences, but it should be put in perspective, if women go there dressed in the stuff they wear back hom and then complain when men react in a way that is usual for their culture, what do they expect? And i'm not saying its only those women that are getting 'hassled' but when in rome people should really do as the romans do.

Other women in the world ignore whistles etc, why should it be any different in Egypt?

You agree its a safe place, you agree it doesnt lead to any physical contact, usually, so surely its manageable?

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs quote:-

Other women in the world ignore whistles etc, why should it be any different in Egypt?

You agree its a safe place, you agree it doesnt lead to any physical contact, usually, so surely its manageable?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think you really understand mrs, to be honest. It is not just whistles etc, it is the case that EVERYTIME you go outside you get hassled. Men licking their lips saying "you F**k me yes" or pis pis pis everywhere you walk. I have lived in the UK for most of my life and i am not saying that some things happen yes of course they do but not everytime you leave your front door. Men have done or said things to me even when my hubby has been with me, to which a fight erupts. My hubby and i have been back in the uk now for 9 years and he has never had to fight someone for what he sees as lack of respect shown towards his wife.

To suggest it can be caused by the clothes women wear - maybe you missed the point that the women (myself included) have stated that we always dress modestly and do as you say when in rome.

We all agree that it is safe living in Egypt but the daily harassment and on-slaught can drive a sane person completely insane!
[Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Man
Member # 13646

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:
pis pis pis

Hehehe.
Ladies, may the force be with you!
You can always wear a Niquab you know
Ahhhhh, now we know why it's becoming ever more popular!

Posts: 345 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sweep it under the carpet, Egyguy, just like majority of men is doing.
For me it has to do with respect. If a man, and it doesn't matter which nationality he has, shows he has his brains behind his zipper instead as in his head, he won't get any respect from me. His speach is not guided by his intellegence but by his hormones. So, what can you expect from such a Neanderthaler?

I've tried it once, between Arabics, to act exactly the same as the men were doing. I rated the passing men, gave comments, wistled, made jokes about them to the Arabic woman next to me.
At first she was a little scared, but later she joined me. The men were not amused, hehe.
I asked them why they were ashamed of us, while we were doing exactly the same as they were doing, in OUR company while one was in a relationship with one of them... What: respect??? I asked them why this was sooooo unrespectable.... I gave them a mirror to look at theirselves.
Not necessarry to add that this was an expierence that I could only make once... [Smile]

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egyguy quote

You know i had thought of that!

"pis pis pis" you know why do men think that this will make you notice them? The amount of men i have told "i am not a cat you idiot" would run into 100's [Big Grin]

Egyguy what would your mum say to you if she knew you spoke or acted in a wrong way to any women? I am not being rude to you, i am curious as to what your mum would say

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Man
Member # 13646

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:
egyguy quote

You know i had thought of that!

"pis pis pis" you know why do men think that this will make you notice them? The amount of men i have told "i am not a cat you idiot" would run into 100's [Big Grin]

Egyguy what would your mum say to you if she knew you spoke or acted in a wrong way to any women? I am not being rude to you, i am curious as to what your mum would say

I never made the cat call!
My mom ... well ... she often got rough with me and my brother for bringing girls home on a couple of occasions. Oh, that idiot of a Bawaab ... but we always managed to get him replaced anyway.

However, I'm sure she was young once and she understands how it's.

Egyptian Man
Member # 13646

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
For me it has to do with respect. If a man, and it doesn't matter which nationality he has, shows he has his brains behind his zipper instead as in his head, he won't get any respect from me. His speach is not guided by his intellegence but by his hormones. So, what can you expect from such a Neanderthaler?

I've tried it once, between Arabics, to act exactly the same as the men were doing. I rated the passing men, gave comments, wistled, made jokes about them to the Arabic woman next to me.
At first she was a little scared, but later she joined me. The men were not amused, hehe.
I asked them why they were ashamed of us, while we were doing exactly the same as they were doing, in OUR company while one was in a relationship with one of them... What: respect??? I asked them why this was sooooo unrespectable.... I gave them a mirror to look at theirselves.
Not necessarry to add that this was an expierence that I could only make once... [Smile]

I've mentioned that in a previous post.
You're living in a male dominated society where males get to do as they like (mind you I say males not men, it takes a lot to be a man). The average maturity level - if there is such a measure - is sub zero. After all what do you expect from males living with their parents well into their 30s.

There is really nothing much you can do. All I can say is be alert and do understand that the majority are quite harmless - not men enough to act through.

Neither I nor anyone else can stop you complaining. Sympathize, sure!
Good Luck! [Smile]

caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caringforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almaz, If I answer someone that hits on me, and they think that I'm easy, that's their problem. I know that I'm not. The egyptian men need to change their mentality and not think that every woman that answers them is easy. It depends on what the guy is doing. If he whistles at me, because he finds me attractive, then that is not sexual harrassment in my book. If he asks for a date because he finds my attractive, then that is not sexual harrassment. Cat calls, saying sexual things to me, grabbing my boobs, showing me their dick, all those things, I define as sexual harrassment. Whistling, asking for a date, honking, saying,"Hi, want to go home with me, baby?", That is not sexual harrassment. Bugging me after I refused a date is not sexual harrassment, either. Only if he got angry that I refused his advances and followed me, would I consider that sexual harrassment. [Frown]
Posts: 384 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs:
I am sure that you girls are finding it annoying, and thats a shame, but I still stand firm that it happens EVERYWHERE, I used to walk the streets with a pushchair and EVERY day without fail, there would be a comment, whistle, beep of car, whatever, that is just men. It actually didnt offend me, I've had worse as i've said, I remember a man even phoning me at work asking if i wanted to do 'shoe modelling'???!!!!, annonymous valentine cards just put through the door addressed with a description of me (stalking????!!!!). Some men just do this, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with segregation, Men in the UK are not segregated and as I have explained, much worse happens, and it happens often.

There are women going to Egypt on holiday, for 'girls' holidays, working in bars, going nightclubbing, sunbathing on beaches, meeting men etc etc. Why are they going if they are getting so much 'unwanted attention'

You know, MANY women actually like the attention and react in exactly the same way the woman did in the video clip, is this not giving men mixed messages? Maybe he figures if he tries it on with 10 girls one of them might respond ok?

I'm not saying its right or trying to belittle peoples experiences, but it should be put in perspective, if women go there dressed in the stuff they wear back hom and then complain when men react in a way that is usual for their culture, what do they expect? And i'm not saying its only those women that are getting 'hassled' but when in rome people should really do as the romans do.

Mrs, I don't think it is being implied that this sort of thing never happens in other countries.
I might ask you how often you have been in Egypt, and how long you have been there and if you have ever wandered around a larger city there alone and how often, veiled or not. I am quick to point out that harrassment happens everywhere, but it really is comparably larger in Egypt both to foreigners and natives. I'm not talking about a simple cat call, I'm talking about full on groping, in public, in plain view. We've all had experiences back home, of course.
It would be one thing if it were only a whistle, but your mere reaction to this thread shows very clearly how little you've experienced Egypt without your husband at your side. [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caringforwomen:
Almaz, If I answer someone that hits on me, and they think that I'm easy, that's their problem. I know that I'm not. The egyptian men need to change their mentality and not think that every woman that answers them is easy. It depends on what the guy is doing. If he whistles at me, ybecause he finds me attractive, then that is not sexual harrassment in my book. If he asks for a date because he finds my attractive, then that is not sexual harrassment. Cat calls, saying sexual things to me, grabbing my boobs, showing me their dick, all those things, I define as sexual harrassment. Whistling, asking for a date, honking, saying,"Hi, want to go home with me, baby?", That is not sexual harrassment. Bugging me after I refused a date is not sexual harrassment, either. Only if he got angry that I refused his advances and followed me, would I consider that sexual harrassment. [Frown]

Unfortunately, they will not change their mentality because they are convinced, brain washed maybe that they are right. And I'm referring to the Egyptian men that act in a gross way when they see a woman, as if they never saw one before, and have no self control, no class, no self respect. A lot of those types are visible when the population of a country is huge.

Some of the things you do not see as sexual harassment, believe it or not are exactly with the intention to harass you sexually, because these men are convinced that this is exactly what the woman they are harassing wants, whether she is a foreigner or a native. In their head, if she responds, she wants to go further.. and that means sex.

Unfortunately, it has been concluded from several studies that the offenders will not stop offending/harassing unless their 'victims' STOP giving in to their wishes. Example: respond, smile, show interest, talk to them...

Men who honk at a woman and leave without insisting she responds, may just be admirers..and harmless.. but if they keep it up in a flirtatious way and stalk her, the minute she responds he would have the satisfaction of catching her attention, and will go on till she gives in ...if she gets in the car these men will find it is their right to touch her and expect more. Again, that is the mentality in the Middle East as it is in many other countries in certain 'areas' with specific genre of men.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some men in this world are just plain creepy. [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

Mrs, I don't think it is being implied that this sort of thing never happens in other countries.
I might ask you how often you have been in Egypt, and how long you have been there and if you have ever wandered around a larger city there alone and how often, veiled or not. I am quick to point out that harrassment happens everywhere, but it really is comparably larger in Egypt both to foreigners and natives. I'm not talking about a simple cat call, I'm talking about full on groping, in public, in plain view. We've all had experiences back home, of course.
It would be one thing if it were only a whistle, but your mere reaction to this thread shows very clearly how little you've experienced Egypt without your husband at your side. [Wink]

ok, point taken, you are right, i've never walked the streets alone. I'm not likely to either, after this thread because you ladies have made me so scared! I'm just basing it on all the ladies that come on here, talking about their nights out? You remember when YR, Mystic and Miss Sharm had that post about them going to Egypt to paint the town red and the men wouldn't know what had hit them??? [Confused] how come they felt able to do that if they get harrassment all the time? (and I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just dont see how they could?)

Also, Caringforwomen just said she didnt consider 'good intentioned' attention, eg. whistle etc, hassle, but maybe some other women on here would do, so do you not agree that these men are getting mixed messages about what is offensive or not?

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:

Meeting men from the street is totally a nono.

That's what my mother teached me too. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

ok, point taken, you are right, i've never walked the streets alone. I'm not likely to either, after this thread because you ladies have made me so scared!
[Big Grin] LOL, I really don't do it unless I absolutely have to, and it is hardly bad here where I am, but in the larger cities, phew!! Talk about exhausting! [Wink]

I don't remember hearing about Painting the Town red and all of that - I can definitely see where some people could get themselves into trouble not understanding the culture and what to expect. I think caution is always best in any situation, even at home. [Wink]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs, of course there are women out who like all the attention. But I would think if someone books a trip to Egypt it's not to get sexually harassed by male locals.

It's also a huge difference if you come as a visitor or you have to live in Egypt.

As a visitor you just stay for a short period of time, you might find the behaviour of the males amusing, you might respond, you might flirt back and that's it as you are leaving again.

But for someone who has to endure this day-in and day-out for years it can become a serious problem. Did you ever think what kind of psychological effects this bad behaviour of men can have on women who can't deal with the issue properly? I would not doubt that f.e. for many Egyptian and Western women it's an obstacle to open up every day their doors to leave to the outside knowing they gonna get hassled and will have to endure such degrading treatment.

Think about it. Seriously.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caringforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily, I said what I found offensive in my post. Some men may just be out to find a woman, and not harrass one. If a guy asks me out, then does not expect me to accept, but hopes that I will and I do, that is not wrong. There is nothing wrong with admiring someone and asking them for a date and hoping they will respond.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyguy:
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

I've mentioned that in a previous post.
You're living in a male dominated society where males get to do as they like (mind you I say males not men, it takes a lot to be a man). The average maturity level - if there is such a measure - is sub zero. After all what do you expect from males living with their parents well into their 30s.

There is really nothing much you can do. All I can say is be alert and do understand that the majority are quite harmless - not men enough to act through.

Neither I nor anyone else can stop you complaining. Sympathize, sure!
Good Luck! [Smile]

The differences between being a MAN or just being MALE. [Wink] You are right in that. In my opinion it is all in how they are raised. If the parents to teach them to respect a girl or a woman, if they accept behaviour like this, or even doing the same, what can you expect?
If the father shows no respect to the mother, how would the sons grow up? They will start with showing no respect to their sisters, neices, or the girl next door...
I cannot say that it is because of the separation during childhood, norms and values are brought in by the parents, the teachers at school, the religious people...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CFW, I never was invited on a date by a strange man here in Germany and I seriously doubt I would have take him up on his offer. This is just plain weird IMO! Then again I was never the typical flirty type and tried to gather attention on the street either.

And in Egypt the scenario is totally different. Many Egyptian guys would approach you as a Western woman because you are more 'easy-going' than your Egyptian counterparts or so at least they think. BUT always remember they would not want that their own sisters speak to some strange man on the street, accept a date and even jump into the car to them! This is just simple slutty behaviour in Egyptian eyes - and also in mine. Regardless to that you never know who you come across. You could be raped and even killed the next minute (just to widen out my thoughts here but it's possible).

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs,

this is a moslem country therefore dating, whistling, cat calling, stopping in the street, are considered unislamic.

It is not considered what a decent male would do.

So you have 2 types. The ones who do and the ones who dont.

Any woman responding to a man who does in a culture and country that frowns upon it either is very naive or has no regard for the way she will be precieved by decent people here.

believe me if you respond to a guy in the street who does this, the more decent people who witness it will definitely have no respect for you.

Yes it happens everywhere. BUT the way it is percieved is completely different depending on where you are.

It is a big no no in Egypt to respond to a guy who approaches you in ANY way in an Egyptian street!

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ok, point taken, you are right, i've never walked the streets alone.

Then you should stop telling women who have done so on a daily basis for years that it's just the same as walking a street in the UK or anywhere else ... or that we're somehow provoking or enjoying the harassment.

Why don't you go out and take some long walks over the next days, and then you come back and tell us your experiences?

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:

caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Harankash, The citizens of Egypt don't run the lives of every woman. So they need to just mind their business. If you want to accept a date, that is not wrong. Why do they get in everyone's business like that?
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Are you saying not to date at all, Tigerlily? How do you meet a man if you don't date some?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Are you saying not to date at all, Tigerlily? How do you meet a man if you don't date some?

I haven't mentioned that anywhere. But I would definitely not give attention to someone who literally tries to pick me up on the street. It's as simple as that.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Harankash, The citizens of Egypt don't run the lives of every woman. So they need to just mind their business. If you want to accept a date, that is not wrong. Why do they get in everyone's business like that?

CFW, have you been to Egypt before? As a tourist or foreigner for quite some time? Have you had much interaction with the locals during your stay?

Did you witness even once that above you just suggested among Egyptians?

Your idea of dating is plain not acceptable by Egyptian cultural standards. The clock is ticking way different there.

You know when you constantly have to endure males who come up to make a move on you - regardless if it's in a stupid way or not - you just pretty much get annoyed and frustrated and think "Oh no.... not again!!"

Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sic Luceat Lux:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
To state that Islam is incapable of fostering ethical behavior in individuals is erroneous.

I never said that Islam was incapable of fostering ethnical behaviour. I said it was incapable of making people behave more ethnical.

You may think I'm quibbling, but there is a distinction.

Islam does prescribe many positive habits and behaviours to it's adherents, but whether these same adherents follow it is another matter entirely.

Thats what I was getting at. Religion can only prescribe; it cannot force or make people behave any differently than how they are already inclined however.

Case in point, there has been countless immoral acts committed under the banner of Islam throughout the centuries..

And Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, is considered by many to be amongst the most immoral and corrupt nations on the planet.

Where does it begin and where does it end?

quote:
Egypt is also not the only nation that is ‘more Islamic’ today, other nations are also ‘more Islamic’ today including the vast majority of Arab states.
Indeed, but my point in raising this, was that despite Egypt's greater religious status today, the sexual harassment problem has only become worse. It has not improved at all by most accounts.

quote:
Yet this hideous behavior is practically more or less an Egyptian phenomenon. I once thought that poverty played a major role but I do not longer feel this way because there are other Muslim nations that suffer worse poverty yet their males don’t exhibit such vile behavior as Egyptian males.
Hmmm I'm not so sure Egypt is the only Arab nation where this behaviour is commonplace. It is the worst in this regard perhaps, but not the only one I think.

I remember when I was in Kuwait many years ago, myself, another guy and three western women went downtown to do some shopping and sight seeing. One of the females was blonde haired and blue eyed, and the other two were brunettes. None of them were what I'd call hot or gorgeous, but they were fairly attractive.

With that said, the local men had more than a passing interest in them. They followed us throughout the bazaar, and even when we were in our vehicle, they would bang on the windows and proclaim their love for these foreign women..

Some guys even asked for their hand in marriage by saying,"I marry you!"

More telling than asking, but you get the point [Big Grin]

Then we went jet skiing in Kuwait harbor, and the other guy managed to capsize the jet ski he was on by doing fancy tricks with it.

Then for compensation, the guy who ran the jet ski operation wanted us to SELL one of the females to him [Eek!]

quote:
Suggesting western ideals such as desegregation of the sexes is a silly notion given the fact that Egypt is 90% Muslim and 50% illiterate.
If Egypt had less sexual harassment a few decades ago when it was more secular than religious, what does this say?

quote:
Most muslim nations are in fact segregated yet this harassment phenomena does not exists in those nations. Neither segregation nor economic hardships are excuses in other Muslim nations and they shouldn’t be excuses for the way Egyptian males are behaving.
It all depends on the level of segregation. Saudi Arabia being the most segregated, while Lebanon perhaps being the least.

Egypt seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Like I said earlier though, it's a complex problem with many underlying factors not easily addressed.

~Alistair

The actions of these men are unislamic and what stands out here is the violation of other humans unlike individual sin or self-transgression. What I’m getting at here is that it is the responsibility of Muslim authorities to address these violations that affect women. Now while it is true that Islam can not change a person from within, it can however address the matter and it can bring about consequences to such actions. If the so called scholars of Al-Azhar were to uniformly condemn sexual harassment in addition to lobbying stricter laws for such violations then I believe we would see positive results. So they can start behaving Islamically willingly and if not then Islam is obligated to take action if not. Again their actions violate and disrespect the rights of others and Islam is a solution. Shaming them Islamically will work in addition to penalizing the harrasers. Merely enacting laws will be probably be dismissed in the same manner as traffic laws are dismissed and ignored.

I am sometimes annoyed when I read such comments(Egypt is more Islamic today) because yes Egypt is more Islamic even if appearance wise but the ill behavior has also increased. There is more sexual activity, there is more corruption, there is more of everything negative and good. To lay blame on Islam shows biasness, and many claim “oh, look how liberal Egypt was in the 60’s, the women wore what they wanted on TV and so on”. During those years practically no one owned a TV and the farmers and people from upper Egypt were not represented at all. Egypt today has the appearance of being more Islamic and Masha Allah the divide is obvious now and from this divide the non-Islamic behavior is apparent. Keep in mind tourism and telecommunication in Egypt has greatly increased over the last decade hence we read and hear about everything.

So much of what we read about now is the product of cheap westernization of feeble minds. Egyptian males acting in such way are pathetically lost in mannerism; they are deducing ideas and notions from unrealistic conclusions. I once invited an Egyptian guy to join me, and a couple of female friends for dinner. After the dinner he concluded that I was sleeping with both of them and asked me to take them back to my apartment so we can have sex with them. I laughed at him, thinking he was joking but a week or so later I called one of them from his mobile phone only to have him save the number and call them the next day. He told them that I was waiting for them at such and such restaurant, when in fact I wasn’t. He and his cousin waited for them at such and such restaurant and lets just say he made a complete fool of himself. This is one story but there are many more where Egyptian men, even educated ones have this notion that women who wear such and such and go out on dates are engaging in promiscuous sex and willing with anyone!

Islam did not instill these ideas, these ideas are new and if we are to blame Islam then how come they were not present before? Or in other Muslim nations? I think they get their notions from what they perceive is modern life for women who are - shall I say more independent.

I have traveled to several Arab countries, some of which I spent more than 3 months in and couple in which I am/was an expat and not a tourist. And I can confidently assert that such behavior exhibited by Egyptian males is not the case in those nations. Self worth seems to be missing from these Egyptian males and I think it is at a point where it is habitual now and I am not kidding. I mean how else could one explain that men honk their horns every time they see women’s hair or an exceptional derriere? And the thing is they don’t even stop but rather honk followed by looking in the rear view mirror. I even confronted someone about this and after doing so he did it nonchalantly again. It is just weird – these men despite their level of education have a very distorted concept of reality.

I think Egypt is in a no win situation and it surely can not please everyone. I for one have left it behind after I thought it would be my permanent home. The nations of the world are progressing yet Egypt continues in decline and retardation. It is problematic and personally, life is too short to live in a society that won’t act for its own benefit. The expats here are a mere irrelevant 1% of the Egyptian population and what they say and what they do is vacuous save the online bitching on ES.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
No, Tigerlily, I have not been to egypt, ever. In my very first post, I was not saying that if a guy on the street in a pick-up truck asked me out that, that moment, that I would accept, just that him asking was not wrong. If you have sex with every tom, dick, and harry that you come across, that is slutty. However, meeting a guy at work, talking to him for a few weeks, then going on a date, I don't see that as slutty. I am not arguing with you, just stating my point.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CFW you cannot compare it to anything like your own country, its not the same in any way at all.

Having the odd workman whistle at you in UK is nothing compared to 99% of Egyptian men you pass eiher commenting at you or tying to pick you up. I regularly walk through the souk here, the majority know I live here, but I still get it 'Hey you look Egyptian' or 'Hi Blondey' if my friend is with me, and I get wayyyyyyyyyyyyy less hassle than most do!

Here if you walk down any street and make any sort of eye contact, even for a split second, its taken as a come on, they think they have a chance even if you say you are married! If they say hello and you reply you are stuffed, you cant get rid without being rude, and its not in my nature to be rude if someone speaks to me so its been hard to adapt to that way.

Only once I can remember I had a huge row near the corniche. I was fully covered as always, this guy tried to ask if I wanted a felucca, I ignored him, he followed me saying 'excuse me, excuse me' which you would think is nothing, but if I stop and chat with him the whole of Luxor will know about it in seconds. I turned round and said in Arabic I was married, he carried on trying to talk to me. I then started shouting in English that he wouldnt hassle an Egyptian woman this way so what gave him the idea he could hassle me when I obviously didnt want a damn felucca or to speak with him. I told him this was haram and leave me alone, he backed off and apologized. The best thing to do is to ignore it and walk on but it does get bloody tiring!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Exiled now correct me if I am wrong but I put a few points of what you said to my moslem Egyptian husband.

Q) is it considered right in Islam for a married man to sit in the company of females in the absence of his wife in public who are not of his family for the purpose of pleasure ie not work or business.

A) No

Q) is it acceptable for a married Moslem to be in nightclubs drinking alcohol with women whilst the moslem wife is at home.

A) No, alcohol is forbidden and why would a married man be in a nightclub.

Q) is is acceptable for a married moslem man to sit close enough to a woman who is not his wife and not related in a cafe or nightclub?

A) definitely not. He is not allowed to touch another female not of his family and reluctantly shake a hand of those who are not. He said that decent moslem women rarely offer their hands with the exception of westerners as that is their culture to shake hands.

Yes I can agree with you in that Al Azhar should be tackling this problem but what have they been doing all these centuries if not just that?

Al Azhar is in Cairo Egypt, the place where it is most prevalent, the place where they all come to study from all over the world. What are they teaching if not respect for women?

What are the Imams teaching on Fridays? Why dont they encourage women to listen to the Khutbah! Why are the wives left at home doing laundry, whilst the men go to the Friday prayers then the cafe to leer afterwards or wander the malls, then the nightclub alone after having dinner with the wife to meet up with female friends?

so if you want to talk Islamic then what he is saying must be the way Islam says it should be?

I dont agree or disagree with it. I think segregation is wrong, but I have to say that I have complete confidence in him as a husband, I trust him 100%, I have never doubted him, he always puts my interest before his own, he is totally respectful of women and their privacy and reputations, he never sits in cafes with his friends except maybe once for an hour every 6 months to catch up. When we visit male and female friends we are together. Members here can verify.
So maybe there is something in it????

caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Ayisha, I think you should be able to have an innocent conversation with someone without them taking it the wrong way in egypt. I know it is not like Texas, but still, for them to make assumion like that is wrong.
Member # 14248

CFW

edit

It is impossible.

There are certain types of men here.

Good decent men who respect women who are in the minority.
The rest who think that it is their right to stop you in the street, ask for sex, your name, all that bullshit.

If any man stopped me in the street in any other country apart from the middle east I would stop and see what they wanted. That is how we are raised. It is as Ayisha said rude not to.

NOT here! it is a signal to him that you are available for sex.
Decent local women here do NOT!!! repeat NOT!! answer a man who stands on a corner or sits in a cafe if he tries to attract her attention full stop.

There are decent men here like Vanilla, Amr, Vader, etc that are in the minority. What you may deduce from an online persona is not always what you get in person. Too many people here make that mistake. They think they know someone but they could be quite shocked when they meet them in person both in a good and bad way.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CFW, Harankash is right it is impossible here. Men here have the mentality that NO woman can be without a man, that ALL western woman are here for sex and will go with anyone, that also includes western men too. If you answer and chat you are saying 'I am available for sex' and thats how it is here. I only reply to someone or greet them if I KNOW them either through my husband or my friends or business, but even my husbands friends I would not accept a ride home with as the gossip would have me sleeping with him and his donkey!!

I have a male friend here, English guy been here 2 years and speaks fluent Arabic, we often shop togeher or eat together, he's my bodyguard [Big Grin] and my husband is quite ok with me being seen with any European male here and he knows this friend of mine very well. Often when the taxi drops me off first my male friend is propositioned by the taxi drivers on his way home! They put on the front for me being a Muslimah but as soon as im out the way it starts. You have to have well known taxi drivers here or that is becoming the norm.

Saying all this it IS SAFER here than back home. Shareen and I have been finding our way around here a few times and taking out of the way streets to see whats down there or where it leads. The other night we were going down a dark street and there was about 6 youths in front of us, I said 'you couldnt to this back home and feel safe could you?' and we were SAFE, we got no hassle, but that was a back street where the ordinary tourist wouldnt go anyway. The worst hassle is on the corniche and the souk here, the rest is not so bad. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harankash:

Exiled now correct me if I am wrong but I put a few points of what you said to my moslem Egyptian husband.

Q) is it considered right in Islam for a married man to sit in the company of females in the absence of his wife in public who are not of his family for the purpose of pleasure ie not work or business.

A) No

Q) is it acceptable for a married Moslem to be in nightclubs drinking alcohol with women whilst the moslem wife is at home.

A) No, alcohol is forbidden and why would a married man be in a nightclub.

Q) is is acceptable for a married moslem man to sit close enough to a woman who is not his wife and not related in a cafe or nightclub?

A) definitely not. He is not allowed to touch another female not of his family and reluctantly shake a hand of those who are not. He said that decent moslem women rarely offer their hands with the exception of westerners as that is their culture to shake hands.

Alcohol is explicitly forbidden in Islam and I don’t think there is any kind of controversy in this regard. The teachings and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad(saw) also forbids the mingling of sexes. I am not sure what some other sects that deviate from the sunnah believe in this regard considering that such mingling is not stated in the Quran and possibly similarly to the hijab where the Sunnah deems it obligatory yet Quranists contend otherwise.

Yes I can agree with you in that Al Azhar should be tackling this problem but what have they been doing all these centuries if not just that?

Epidemic sexual harassment is more or less a recent phenomenon as is the explosion in population and the massive migration to urban areas. Keep in mind that cities have seen a huge influx of males from the countryside, many of whom migrated alone seeking better jobs and in the process attained more freedoms to do as they please and wish. 30 years ago life was so much simpler and without the ideas that many people put in their minds however delusional. Al-Azhar needs to act now and to do so they need female voices to ascertain that action is taken.

What are the Imams teaching on Fridays? Why dont they encourage women to listen to the Khutbah! Why are the wives left at home doing laundry, whilst the men go to the Friday prayers then the cafe to leer afterwards or wander the malls, then the nightclub alone after having dinner with the wife to meet up with female friends?

I obliged in answering the beginning of your post which was off topic and irrelevant to sexual harassment but doing again would expend my courtesy.

I dont agree or disagree with it. I think segregation is wrong, but I have to say that I have complete confidence in him as a husband, I trust him 100%, I have never doubted him, he always puts my interest before his own, he is totally respectful of women and their privacy and reputations, he never sits in cafes with his friends except maybe once for an hour every 6 months to catch up. When we visit male and female friends we are together. Members here can verify.
So maybe there is something in it????

Individual praise is irrelevant because we are talking about a society that is 90% muslim and 50% illiterate. What any individual personally feels of the merits of one individual can not be used as an argument to suggest similar behavior is possible in a general sense.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am not sure what some other sects that deviate from the sunnah believe in this regard considering that such mingling is not stated in the Quran and possibly similarly to the hijab where the Sunnah deems it obligatory yet Quranists contend otherwise.

It's not only *Qur'anists* who conclude that it's not obligatory. Since all the ahadeeth which "prove" that covering the head is obligatory are weak, there are also Sunni scholars and Sunni Muslims who don't regard covering the head as an obligation at all.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
The teachings and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad(saw) also forbids the mingling of sexes.

Al-Azhar needs to act now and to do so they need female voices to ascertain that action is taken.

If mingling of the sexes is forbidden who are these female voices going to be talking to if not just women? Its the men that need sorting out. [Roll Eyes]
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
The teachings and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad(saw) also forbids the mingling of sexes.

Al-Azhar needs to act now and to do so they need female voices to ascertain that action is taken.

If mingling of the sexes is forbidden who are these female voices going to be talking to if not just women? Its the men that need sorting out. [Roll Eyes]
This is actually very simple and is practiced in Islamic institutions. Men and women for example partake in debate with women sitting on one side of the assembly and the males in the other. Each is free to express their ideas at the podium. It wouldn’t take too much of an effort to create a department in Al-Azhar that deals with such instances that violate the rights of women. Females joining the police force could also work from task forces that deal with such crimes like sexual harassment. And also to prevent sexual harassment by having them noticeably positioned in areas such as train stations, malls, major streets and also undercover on buses and so on.

All of this is possible, we just need Egyptian women to speak up en masse. And if they don't then no body will do it for them.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunes, please tell me you didn't just expound on the "benefits" of segregation.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
Dunes, please tell me you didn't just expound on the "benefits" of segregation.

I think I would need to undertake a lot more research to achieve such. And what I emphasize and defend in this discussion is what I believe the majority of Egyptians want and what I honestly believe is achievable. Personally I could never live in an Islamic governed state because such does not adhere with the way I live my life(freely). But we are not talking about me, you or any individual for that matter. If Egypt were to have fair and free elections, it would mark a new dawn of Islamic governance. My proposals such as instituting female Islamic scholars and female police officers to combat sexual harassment could exist in the present government and could also continue to exist if an Islamic government takes over. I honestly believe empowering women in this regard is achievable. But some of you are talking about western ideals at a time when such is impossible. Again it is not about what any individual desires, it is about what the masses desire. We must sacrifice our ideals to give the people what they want. I think the segregated malls will increase as will the mosques and keep in mind there was 1 mosque for 7600 people 15 years ago and now it is 1 mosque for every 715 people. The road is islamic all the way yet many Egyptian men are behaving vile and the way to deal with this is with what i have proposed.

Female Muslim Scholars
Female Police Officers

Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
ok, point taken, you are right, i've never walked the streets alone.

Then you should stop telling women who have done so on a daily basis for years that it's just the same as walking a street in the UK or anywhere else ... or that we're somehow provoking or enjoying the harassment.

Why don't you go out and take some long walks over the next days, and then you come back and tell us your experiences?

Ok Dalia, Keep your hair on, I didnt mean to offend you - I just thought that knowing how popular Egypt and Egyptian men are with the western ladies, and the volume of female tourists, If it is a bad as you all say, how and why would they bother going?? But if you say I'm wrong, I accept that, I believe you [Smile]

Tigerlilly - I agree, you made some good points and yes it must be awful for those women who have to endure it daily (and I'm not being sarcastic) I really didnt think it could be as bad as you all say, but it obviously is.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Ok Dalia, Keep your hair on, I didnt mean to offend you - I just thought that knowing how popular Egypt and Egyptian men are with the western ladies, and the volume of female tourists, If it is a bad as you all say, how and why would they bother going?? But if you say I'm wrong, I accept that, I believe you [Smile]

You didn't offend me. I just found it strange that the few people in this thread denying the observations of most of the women here, have never experienced it themselves because they are either not female, haven't been out of Egypt (so they think it's normal), or haven't spent time in Egypt on their own.

As for female tourists getting involved with Egyptians in the resorts -- now I think that's a different issue and does not have a lot of impact on how people in Cairo or Alex behave.

For example ... you always read stories on here about how people get involved with waiters, tour guides etc. which happens because they are not aware of many things about Egyptian society, for example the class system. But if you're a woman living in Cairo it is very unlikely that a waiter in a restaurant, a taxi driver or a papyrus seller would try to make a serious pass on you. It would be considered highly inappropriate in Egyptian society, and he would know that a woman who has lived here for a while is well aware of that.

Hope that makes sense. [Smile]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
But if you're a woman living in Cairo it is very unlikely that a waiter in a restaurant, a taxi driver or a papyrus seller would try to make a serious pass on you. It would be considered highly inappropriate in Egyptian society, and he would know that a woman who has lived here for a while is well aware of that.

Come on, Dalia*, they all try!!
Dalia*
Member # 10593

No, they don't, at least in my experience and those of my friends. [Smile]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yes they do!! I had taxi drivers, waiters, fruit & vegetable sellers, people in animation (oh forgot security guys at hotels etc. trying to hook up with me - especially when they heard I am from Germany.

I would not say I was ugly back then, I was very young (20 when I came to Egypt) and single - bad combination and an easy target for these guys!!

And the problem persisted throughout my three years in Cairo. I will not forget when I started dating my now-husband and we agreed that he would come join me and my mother few days later at the hotel in Hurghada (because of work related reasons he couldn't take of the same time). Anyway I was treated like a little queen when arriving at the new resort (hence I knew the guy from the hotel chain where I booked the trip). When I checked in the guy at the reception tried to make a move on me, he even called me at my room two times and I told him each time I can't meet him for a drink because I am not single. He went on how nice I am and that he loves Germany blah-blah...

You should have seen how he treated my husband upon arrival. It was so ridiculous!! [Confused]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

I'm sorry to hear that, Tiger. But as you said in your post, you were very young and inexperienced, and I assume you didn't speak Arabic yet back then; so you were an easy target.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiger, Dalia also said IN A CITY LIKE ALEX OR CAIRO...not a resort. I've never had any waiter or taxi driver try to hit on me in Cairo. It's about how you carry yourself and making it obvious you live there. I don't even get bothered in hotels, because the staff either thinks I'm a local, or I'm there on business and it's not my first time.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Of course I was in the beginning friendly to everybody - because everybody was friendly to me -but I ended up after a certain time only to greet the people incl. men I knew and mostly walked around with sunglasses on and tried to pretend to be air. I had huge problems on the street.

Maybe one of you remembers an incident I wrote about here before when I walked in broad daylight one afternoon on Shehab St. (I checked out the stores) and had to tie my shoe. I remember it was still very hot and not many people outside. I didn't sit down and made sure no one was around me. What happened was a young guy touched me from the back between my legs and run off!! This happened to me the first few months living in Cairo.

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
CFW you cannot compare it to anything like your own country, its not the same in any way at all.

Having the odd workman whistle at you in UK is nothing compared to 99% of Egyptian men you pass eiher commenting at you or tying to pick you up. I regularly walk through the souk here, the majority know I live here, but I still get it 'Hey you look Egyptian' or 'Hi Blondey' if my friend is with me, and I get wayyyyyyyyyyyyy less hassle than most do!

Here if you walk down any street and make any sort of eye contact, even for a split second, its taken as a come on, they think they have a chance even if you say you are married! If they say hello and you reply you are stuffed, you cant get rid without being rude, and its not in my nature to be rude if someone speaks to me so its been hard to adapt to that way.

Only once I can remember I had a huge row near the corniche. I was fully covered as always, this guy tried to ask if I wanted a felucca, I ignored him, he followed me saying 'excuse me, excuse me' which you would think is nothing, but if I stop and chat with him the whole of Luxor will know about it in seconds. I turned round and said in Arabic I was married, he carried on trying to talk to me. I then started shouting in English that he wouldnt hassle an Egyptian woman this way so what gave him the idea he could hassle me when I obviously didnt want a damn felucca or to speak with him. I told him this was haram and leave me alone, he backed off and apologized. The best thing to do is to ignore it and walk on but it does get bloody tiring!

So true (at least in Luxor). The best way really is to ignore, not to say anything, not to even look. If I walk alone I always listen to music because I don't even want to hear some of the comments, they just ruin my day even though I know I should not care. I don't mind so much those "welcome" or "hello" but many, especially calesh guys throw comments about your body. As I live here I do not even walk out half naked!

Couple of times I got really mad and shouted something, but idiots will be idiots, they just can shout bad things back at you. Only few are surprised and stay silent. Some might apologize if it’s a very public place and many people around but I doubt they mean it. But I decided it’s best way not to say anything. When I walk alone (without a girlfriend) it seems I can walk in peace.

Sometimes I feel like I could stay indoors a whole week (once I did), I am so tired of this bullshit. Already as a tourist I stopped using motorboats because these guys are truly horrible.

If you say something so simple than “hello” to someone you find yourself trying to get rid of him the next two kilometres! Like Ayisha, I just talk to people we know (our taxi drivers etc) but would not ever never go have a coffee with them or anything.

It is different for tourists. I found all this well manageable when visiting Luxor but why not – you know you can go home and get out. It’s so different if you want to live here. Some people (obviously not living here) say, well why don’t you just say something politely, maybe chat a little and be friendly to them, then it will be fine. Ha!

It feels rude to say nothing since we are raised to reply if someone wishes you “good morning” etc. Here some shopkeepers can actually run after you asking a million times why don’t you respect him and say “hello”...just annoying.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Maybe one of you remembers an incident I wrote about here before when I walked in broad daylight one afternoon on Shehab St. (I checked out the stores) and had to tie my shoe. I remember it was still very hot and not many people outside. I didn't sit down and made sure no one was around me. What happened was a young guy touched me from the back between my legs and run off!! This happened to me the first few months living in Cairo.

I had some young boy grab my breast while passing by on a bicycle, also in a very upscale part of Mohandessen. He was lucky he was on a bike ... [Mad]

Another time a guy came up from behind and grabbed my butt; he was beaten up by a couple of other guys who had watched the scene. Actually, that was the only time someone interfered when I was being harassed.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com